PDA

View Full Version : The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

jaguarr
12-18-2006, 09:38 PM
That's what the other ones are (hooked up to the synthesizer station), the original SP-5B's from years back when I had a smaller system in a smaller apt. They're really quite good for their size and especially the price. At the time (late 90's or so), affordable powered monitors were just coming into vogue, and the selection was much narrower and still quite expensive. The M-Audio's were one of the only powered models that were compact enough and inexpensive enough to fit what I needed. Now everyone makes powered monitors in all price ranges....hard to choose. I did quite a few sound designs and mixes on those puppies over the years, and they're still going strong. But the Dyn's are just un-effin'-believable!

I do use a M-Audio SBX8 subwoofer for just the sub-freq's, crossed-over at around 55Hz, since the Dyn's stay nice and tight/accurate down to about 50Hz or so. It's just to fill out the very low freq's in those bellowing sound effects that these movie trailers love so much these days. Don't even really need it for most music. The problem was, as you can see, I had to place the workstation into a closet space that was just wide enough...so I had a few severe standing wave/bass peak problems. That's where the acoustic foam came into play, with corner traps helping with bass resonance, and then a digital EQ/mastering processor with a parametric EQ taming the few peaks that were left. Now, even though I'm basically in a box, frequencies still stay nice and flat across the board, and I still get plenty of width/depth and especially imaging with the new Dyn's for sound design and mixing.

Yeah, I've just got a pair of M-Audio Studiophile DX-4's that I picked up at a MacWorld show a couple of years ago for muy cheap. The guys working the booth didn't want to lug them back with them, so they gave me a killer deal on them. They even handle the bass fairly well, but I need to invest in a decent sub to go with them since I'm doing some pretty bass-heavy electronica lately.

jag

KalMart
12-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Yeah, I've just got a pair of M-Audio Studiophile DX-4's that I picked up at a MacWorld show a couple of years ago for muy cheap. The guys working the booth didn't want to lug them back with them, so they gave me a killer deal on them. They even handle the bass fairly well, but I need to invest in a decent sub to go with them since I'm doing some pretty bass-heavy electronica lately.

jag
If you can swing it, the Yamaha HS-50M and HS-10W package sounds terrific.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMHS50M
http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMHS10W

Are you using an interface/DAC between the computer and the monitors, or just the miniplug to RCA?

jaguarr
12-18-2006, 11:09 PM
If you can swing it, the Yamaha HS-50M and HS-10W package sounds terrific.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMHS50M
http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMHS10W

Are you using an interface/DAC between the computer and the monitors, or just the miniplug to RCA?

Just the mini-plug to the RCA is all I've been using. No real need for a DAC on my setup. Thanks for the pointers. I'll look into those. :up:

jag

Crooklyn
12-19-2006, 01:12 AM
Can anyone summarize the 'Mail' app in OSX? I'm only really used to web-based email services such as Yahoo and Gmail. I'd like to know if there's any advantages in using the program.

KalMart
12-19-2006, 01:40 AM
Got another question, Jag.

I use Cocktail to do a 'clean caches', 'run cron scripts', and 'repair permissions' every night before shutting down, and use TechTool to defrag every week. Anything else out there that you recommend?

jaguarr
12-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Can anyone summarize the 'Mail' app in OSX? I'm only really used to web-based email services such as Yahoo and Gmail. I'd like to know if there's any advantages in using the program.

It's just a standalone mail client. (Read About It Here (http://www.apple.com/au/macosx/features/mail/)). Some people love it, others prefer a different one like Entourage (the one I prefer) or Thunderbird, which is free and very feature rich.

jag

jaguarr
12-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Got another question, Jag.

I use Cocktail to do a 'clean caches', 'run cron scripts', and 'repair permissions' every night before shutting down, and use TechTool to defrag every week. Anything else out there that you recommend?

Those are both great tools. Onyx is another freeware one that works very well (check Versiontracker). You probably don't need to run Cocktail that often. Doesn't hurt things if you do, but once a week or even once a month should be plenty. I know you're hitting your disks pretty hard with the work you do, but even once a month fro defrag should be plenty as well.

jag

Golgo-13
12-22-2006, 08:55 AM
Pleae help Jag! All of a sudden my Mac won't connect me to AOL. It's not the phone line because if using my wife's laptop right now through the same phone jack. I un-installed then re-installed my AOL but still the same problem. Remember a while ago i up graded to 10.2.8? Well thinking i could reset my modem, i re-installed my Mac OS X disk that the computer came with..and it erased all the data i had on my hard drive! I was pissed. I lost all my Photoshop design files and whatnot, so now i'm back to square one. And ontop of all that my AOL will still not connect. ...well sometimes it does, but freezes then boots me off.

Like i said, it's not the phone line because i'm using it to type this up. Another thing i notice, when my AOL /modem is dialing, now all of a sudden, through the speakers i hear the modem ring, as usual but i also hear some guy talking-it's like the sound that i'm picking up a radio station..wtf's going on?...! Is it my modem?

If you have any solutions i'd appreciate it. Remember i'm Mac illiterate, so don't use big words. :D

jaguarr
12-22-2006, 10:34 AM
I really don't know jack about AOL, to be honest. Your best bet is to call AOL tech support. You pay them enough for their shoddy service I'd think tech support would be included in what they charge you. Sorry, man. Only advice I could give is make sure you have the latest AOL software and try reinstalling it to see if it resolves the issue.

jag

Golgo-13
12-22-2006, 05:55 PM
Ok, i've got AOL back up and running (don't know why it's working all of a sudden) and i'm currently downloading 10.2.8. Still pissed i lost all my Photoshop files and itunes songs(is there anyway to retrieve deleted stuff? The FBI does it all the time when they seize criminals computers!).

It's funny, ever since this crap happened my keyboard eject key doesn't work, and now i have to press F12 to eject a disk. :confused:

After i finish downlaoding 10.2.8 i'm changing ISP. I've had enough of AOL. Can anyone recommend a good one besides Comcast or Verizon? What's up with .Mac?

Also jag, I went to install my own wallpaper(i did this before by saving the image in the pictures folder, then going to desktop in system preferences, selecting the folder..and boom it's there) Now..when i do those same steps, i can't select the desired pic for my desktop..i'm telling you, this has been a lesson well learnt for me. A hard one...but a valuable one!

Crooklyn
12-23-2006, 12:17 AM
After i finish downlaoding 10.2.8 i'm changing ISP. I've had enough of AOL. Can anyone recommend a good one besides Comcast or Verizon?
Optimum Online from Cablevision. By far the best deal you can get, especially with its speeds.

Golgo-13
12-23-2006, 08:26 AM
Thanks Crooklyn. Can i get into from downloading it online? Does it require anything special other than a modem? I didn't want one that's part of my cable or regular phone bill, that's why i mentioned not using verizon or comcast. Specifics please, maybe i'll change my mind...

......i was thinking of Netzero also. Anyone have them?

Crooklyn
12-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Thanks Crooklyn. Can i get into from downloading it online? Does it require anything special other than a modem? I didn't want one that's part of my cable or regular phone bill, that's why i mentioned not using verizon or comcast. Specifics please, maybe i'll change my mind...
You can get it just as a standalone internet service. If you have them in your area, they send you a cable modem, and then you just hook that up to your comp. No complex installations, just plug and go.

And if you're willing, you can pay a lil' bit extra and get 30mbps download....extremely fast. :up:

jaguarr
12-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Crooklyn is right that it's about the same amount of money to get high speed access of some sort these days. AOL is sort of a rip-off these days because they're mostly charging you for content more than anything else. A bare bones ISP with a high speed connection, email accounts, web space and maybe a usenet server are really all you need.

jag

Golgo-13
12-24-2006, 01:13 PM
Yeah, i called AOL tech support yesterday, and after 2 hours of trying just about every trick under the sun, they told me the problem is probably my modem. Could it be? I ran a hardware check, with the disk that came with my computer but it found nothing wrong. Could the hard ware check be mistaken? I'd hate to pay an Apple tech to look at my Modem and nothings wrong...

..im using my wife's labtop right now, as my Mac won't connect to the net. Once i figure out what's wrong, I'll call verizon about what you guys mentioned. Does it matter if the phone in my house is not in my name? It's in my wifes name. In other words, will verizon let ME set up internet service without my wife's consent?

jaguarr
12-26-2006, 11:28 AM
If Hardware test didn't find anything wrong with your modem, then it's most likely a configuration problem that the AOL tech support morons couldn't figure out. You can take some screen shots of your modem configuration in System Preferences using Command(apple)+Shft+4 and then using the crosshairs you get when you do that to outline which part of the screen you want to take a shot of. Then upload 'em in a photobucket or something and post 'em here for us to look at. Hard to troubleshoot when I can't see your config.

Also, I don't know what Verizon's policy is on setting up accounts. Call them and find out what's required.

jag

jaguarr
12-26-2006, 11:29 AM
If ever there was a time to be a Mac user:

http://www.nydailynews.com/business/story/483226p-406731c.html

Old cracks found in new Windows

STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS

Redmond, we have a problem.

The brand spanking-new Windows operating system called Vista - billed as "the most secure version of Windows yet" on the Microsoft Web site - has proven a pushover for Internet hackers.

Microsoft has acknowledged Vista has a flaw that could allow users to increase their access level to administrator, a problem first posted by a Russian hacker.

A flaw was also found in Microsoft's new Internet Explorer 7 that could download viruses from a booby-trapped Web page. That flaw and five others were reported by Determina, a Silicon Valley computer security company.

"We are closely monitoring developments," said Microsoft's Mike Reavey, operations manager for the Redmond, Wash. company's emergency response team.

"Currently we have not observed any public exploitation or attack activity regarding this issue," he wrote.

And, he insisted, "I still have every confidence that Windows Vista is our most secure platform to date."

But news of the IE7 flaw and the hacker postings is a black eye for Bill Gates and Microsoft - and for the thousands of PC makers who will begin selling their computers next month with Vista.

Thousands of consumers put off buying computers this Christmas season waiting for the release at the end of January of the new upgrade from Windows XP to Windows Vista.

One online tech expert, Jay Dougherty, wrote for the German Press Agency that Vista may prove a tough sell for folks already happy with their home computers, especially because the current XP system has proven to be relatively stable.

"People are tired of upgrading - especially when the benefits of doing so are difficult to articulate or uninspiring. That's the problem with Microsoft's Vista operating system in a nutshell," he wrote.

Vista's big selling points, besides it supposed safety and security, are its stunning 3D graphics that many critics argue is simply an attempt - and a bad one at that - to match what Apple has had for years on the Macintosh.

Originally published on December 26, 2006

jag

jaguarr
12-26-2006, 11:31 AM
Another article about Vista and the giant security black hole that it's shaping up to be:

http://news.com.com/Flaws+detected+in+Vista/2100-1002_3-6145874.html

Flaws detected in Vista

By John Markoff
http://news.com.com/Flaws+detected+in+Vista/2100-1002_3-6145874.html

Story last modified Mon Dec 25 15:07:21 PST 2006

advertisement
Click Here

Microsoft is facing an early crisis of confidence in the quality of its Windows Vista operating system as computer security researchers and hackers have begun to find potentially serious flaws in the system that was released to corporate customers late last month.

On Dec. 15, a Russian programmer posted a description of a flaw that makes it possible to increase a person's privileges on all of the company's recent operating systems, including Vista.

Over the weekend a Silicon Valley computer security firm said it had notified Microsoft that it had also found that flaw, as well as five other vulnerabilities, including one serious error in the software code underlying the company's new Internet Explorer 7 browser.

The browser flaw is particularly troubling because it potentially means that Web users can become infected with malicious software simply by visiting a booby-trapped site. That would make it possible for an attacker to inject rogue software into the Vista-based computer, according to executives at Determina, a company based in Redwood City, Calif., that sells software intended to protect against operating system and other vulnerabilities.

Determina is part of a small industry of companies that routinely pore over the technical details of software applications and operating systems looking for flaws. When flaws in Microsoft products are found they are reported to the software maker, which then produces fixes called patches. Microsoft has built technology into its recent operating systems that makes it possible for the company to fix its software automatically via the Internet.

Despite Microsoft assertions about the improved reliability of Vista, many in the industry are taking a wait-and-see approach. Microsoft's previous operating system, Windows XP, required two "service packs" issued over a number of years to substantially improve security, and new flaws are still routinely discovered by outside researchers.

On Friday, a Microsoft executive posted a comment on a company security information Web site stating the Microsoft was "closely monitoring" the vulnerability described by the Russian Web site. It permits the privileges of a standard user account in Vista and other versions of Windows to be increased, permitting control of all of the operations of the computer. In Unix and modern Windows systems, people are restricted in the functions they can perform, and complete power is restricted to certain administrative accounts.
Vista Readiness Advisor

"Currently we have not observed any public exploitation or attack activity regarding this issue," wrote Mike Reavey, operations manager of the Microsoft Security Response Center. "While I know this is a vulnerability that impacts Windows Vista, I still have every confidence that Windows Vista is our most secure platform to date."

Secunia, another security company, gave the same flaw a "less critical" rating in an advisory posted Friday. On Saturday, Nicole Miller, a Microsoft spokeswoman, said the company is also investigating the reported browser flaw and that it was not aware of any attacks attempting to use the vulnerability.

Microsoft has spent millions branding the Vista operating system as the most secure product it has produced, and it is counting on Vista to help turn the tide against a wave of software attacks now plaguing Windows-based computers.

Vista is critical to Microsoft's reputation. Despite an almost four-and-half-year campaign on the part of the company, and the best efforts of the computer security industry, the threat from harmful computer software continues to grow. Criminal attacks now range from programs that steal information from home and corporate PCs to growing armies of slave computers that are wreaking havoc on the commercial Internet.

Although Vista, which will be available on consumer PCs early next year, has been extensively tested, it is only now being exposed to the challenges of the open Internet.

"I don't think people should become complacent," said Nand Mulchandani, a vice president at Determina. "When vendors say a program has been completely rewritten, it doesn't mean that it's more secure from the get-go. My expectation is we will see a whole rash of Vista bugs show up in six months or a year."

The Determina executives said that by itself, the browser flaw that was reported to Microsoft could permit damage like the theft of password information and the attack of other computers.

However, one of the principal security advances of Internet Explorer 7 is a software "sandbox" that is intended to limit damage even if a malicious program is able to subvert the operation of the browser. That should limit the ability of any attacker to reach other parts of the Vista operating system, or to overwrite files.

However, when coupled with the ability of the first flaw that permits the change in account privileges, it might then be possible to circumvent the sandbox controls, said Alexander Sotirov, a Determina security researcher. In that case it would make it possible to alter files and potentially permanently infect a target computer. This kind of attack has yet to be proved, he acknowledged.

The Determina researchers said they had notified Microsoft of four other flaws they had discovered, including a bug that would make it possible for an attacker to repeatedly disable a Microsoft Exchange mail server simply by sending the program an infected e-mail message.

Last week, the chief technology officer of Trend Micro, a computer security firm in Tokyo, told several computer news Web sites that he had discovered an offer on an underground computer discussion forum to sell information about a security flaw in Windows Vista for $50,000. Over the weekend a spokesman for Trend Micro said that the company had not obtained the information, and as a result could not confirm the authenticity of the offer.

Many computer security companies say that there is a lively underground market for information that would permit attackers to break in to systems via the Internet.

jag

Golgo-13
12-26-2006, 01:09 PM
If Hardware test didn't find anything wrong with your modem, then it's most likely a configuration problem that the AOL tech support morons couldn't figure out. You can take some screen shots of your modem configuration in System Preferences using Command(apple)+Shft+4 and then using the crosshairs you get when you do that to outline which part of the screen you want to take a shot of. Then upload 'em in a photobucket or something and post 'em here for us to look at. Hard to troubleshoot when I can't see your config.

Also, I don't know what Verizon's policy is on setting up accounts. Call them and find out what's required.

jag

You'll have to walk me through the steps of Photobucket. I signed up there months ago but never used it.

I went out in my haste to get my mac back online, and purchase an external modem. To my disappoinment, when i plugged it into the usb hub and went to Netork, there was no selection for my to select External Modem from the
'show' drop down menu. All i see up there is internal modem,

Golgo-13
12-26-2006, 01:17 PM
...sorry, have problems with the Net...

..like i was saying, all i see is internal Modem, built in ethernet and configurations..:confused:.

And to my surprise..i'm back online..on my MAC, as of right now! Don't know how long it will last. Cause it lasted for a few hours on staurday, then went out on me again. I plan on returning that External Modem asap.

Instead of my posting pics of my configurations, can't someone just tell me what they should be?

jaguarr
12-26-2006, 02:02 PM
I can't just tell you what your modem configurations should be, because I don't know AOL's specific requirements, phone numbers and settings. Glad you're back online, though. That tells me there was a configuration issue on your end that somehow got resolved while you were mucking with your system.

jag

jaguarr
12-26-2006, 02:04 PM
An interesting read for some of you considering switching to a Mac:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2072352,00.asp

Making the Switch from PC to Mac
ARTICLE DATE: 12.20.06
By Robyn Peterson

When Apple switched to Intel processors, I switched to a Mac. It was that simple. And judging by Apple's latest financial report, millions of you are coming with me: Mac sales have increased 30 percent since last year. But Apple is more than just the Coca-Cola of computing: The company builds solid machines that are capable of handling office work and, in my opinion, are vastly superior to Windows machines when it comes to multimedia editing.

For example, by using the iLife suite on my new MacBook, I transformed my raw wedding video into something that scored major points with my in-laws. First, I edited it down from 2 hours of boring footage into 30 minutes of highlights using iMovie. Then I dubbed in music from iTunes whenever the audio went south. Finally, I burned it all to a multichapter DVD with a flashy welcome screen, using iDVD. Whenever I've tried to edit video on a PC, I've faced system crash after system crash. And don't get me started on the lack of integration between video-editing software and music- and photomanagement software on Microsoft Windows. Yuck. Apple just makes it simple, and that's refreshing.

A Mac can do more than just multimedia. I have Microsoft Office installed so that I can work on Word and Excel documents, and I use a Cisco VPN to connect with my office network. In fact, I use my MacBook as my sole PC at home, whether it's work or play.

Though it's fairly easy to find your way around a Mac, I've answered the five questions most frequently asked by recent Mac converts or those folks simply pondering a potential switch.

Where's The Start Menu?
You don't need no stinkin' Start menu. On a Mac, you browse through your documents or navigate to your applications via a Finder window. And you can place frequently used apps in the system Dock, which you can place at the side or bottom of the screen. (Find preferences for the Dock in the Apple menu at the top left). You can set it to emerge when your cursor approaches it.

Where's My Right Mouse Button?
In Windows, the right mouse button brings up what's called a context menu. To bring it up on a Mac, hold down the control key and click the mouse button. Or just attach a mouse with a right-click button. It will work the same way as in Windows.

How Do I Install Apps?
File installation feels a bit strange at first since some apps, such as Firefox, mount as a drive when you double-click on the setup file. But then you simply drag the icon to your Applications folder, and it's installed.

How Do I Search For Files Or Apps?
Searching on a Mac couldn't get any easier, using Spotlight. Click on the blue icon in the top right of your screen and type in any phrase. You can search filenames, file contents, e-mail, contacts, even metadata.

Where's The C: Drive?
Forget about delving into the depths of the Windows C: drive. On a Mac, you can find all of your files by simply using the Finder. And if you're hard-core, drop into the Terminal app and get your Unix groove on.

Another great source of info about switching to a Mac can be found at Apple's Get A Mac Site (http://www.apple.com/getamac/). :up:

jag

Golgo-13
12-26-2006, 04:50 PM
I can't just tell you what your modem configurations should be, because I don't know AOL's specific requirements, phone numbers and settings. Glad you're back online, though. That tells me there was a configuration issue on your end that somehow got resolved while you were mucking with your system.

jag
Well it looks like i spoke too soon, after trying to log back on...my Mac is not connecting to the net again! I'm back on my wife's labtop.......

..i really don't understand how one minute the configuration could change back and forth, and i haven't even touched anything in there..:cmad:

..could it really be my hardware on the fritz, like shorting on and off?

Tenicus
12-27-2006, 09:58 PM
An interesting read for some of you considering switching to a Mac:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2072352,00.asp

Making the Switch from PC to Mac
ARTICLE DATE: 12.20.06
By Robyn Peterson

When Apple switched to Intel processors, I switched to a Mac. It was that simple. And judging by Apple's latest financial report, millions of you are coming with me: Mac sales have increased 30 percent since last year. But Apple is more than just the Coca-Cola of computing: The company builds solid machines that are capable of handling office work and, in my opinion, are vastly superior to Windows machines when it comes to multimedia editing.

For example, by using the iLife suite on my new MacBook, I transformed my raw wedding video into something that scored major points with my in-laws. First, I edited it down from 2 hours of boring footage into 30 minutes of highlights using iMovie. Then I dubbed in music from iTunes whenever the audio went south. Finally, I burned it all to a multichapter DVD with a flashy welcome screen, using iDVD. Whenever I've tried to edit video on a PC, I've faced system crash after system crash. And don't get me started on the lack of integration between video-editing software and music- and photomanagement software on Microsoft Windows. Yuck. Apple just makes it simple, and that's refreshing.

A Mac can do more than just multimedia. I have Microsoft Office installed so that I can work on Word and Excel documents, and I use a Cisco VPN to connect with my office network. In fact, I use my MacBook as my sole PC at home, whether it's work or play.

Though it's fairly easy to find your way around a Mac, I've answered the five questions most frequently asked by recent Mac converts or those folks simply pondering a potential switch.

Where's The Start Menu?
You don't need no stinkin' Start menu. On a Mac, you browse through your documents or navigate to your applications via a Finder window. And you can place frequently used apps in the system Dock, which you can place at the side or bottom of the screen. (Find preferences for the Dock in the Apple menu at the top left). You can set it to emerge when your cursor approaches it.

Where's My Right Mouse Button?
In Windows, the right mouse button brings up what's called a context menu. To bring it up on a Mac, hold down the control key and click the mouse button. Or just attach a mouse with a right-click button. It will work the same way as in Windows.

How Do I Install Apps?
File installation feels a bit strange at first since some apps, such as Firefox, mount as a drive when you double-click on the setup file. But then you simply drag the icon to your Applications folder, and it's installed.

How Do I Search For Files Or Apps?
Searching on a Mac couldn't get any easier, using Spotlight. Click on the blue icon in the top right of your screen and type in any phrase. You can search filenames, file contents, e-mail, contacts, even metadata.

Where's The C: Drive?
Forget about delving into the depths of the Windows C: drive. On a Mac, you can find all of your files by simply using the Finder. And if you're hard-core, drop into the Terminal app and get your Unix groove on.

Another great source of info about switching to a Mac can be found at Apple's Get A Mac Site (http://www.apple.com/getamac/). :up:

jag

Oh, I got my Unix groove on today.
boot into SUM
mount -uaw
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
reboot

Its great how secure Macs are.

jaguarr
12-27-2006, 10:22 PM
Oh, I got my Unix groove on today.
boot into SUM
mount -uaw
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
reboot

Its great how secure Macs are.

Mmmmmm.....you got into your own system with physical access to it AND root access! Way to go! :up:

jag

Tenicus
12-27-2006, 10:32 PM
No not mine.

jaguarr
12-27-2006, 10:51 PM
No not mine.

Do something impressive and hack my system over the 'net. Good luck. :up:

jag

Tenicus
12-27-2006, 10:57 PM
Do something impressive and hack my system over the 'net. Good luck. :up:

jag
alright
just give me your IP and open all your ports

KalMart
12-27-2006, 11:26 PM
Cocktail was taking longer to do its thing on the IntelMac. Installed the latest version 3.7.4, which is supposed to be optmized for both PPC and Intel macs. It's definitely working better, but still abit slower than on tyhe PPC G5, which has tons more stuff on it than the Intel. But it seems to work fine, so I guess it's no biggie. Will be getting a BlackMagic Design HDMI i/o card for real-time HDV monitoring soon...keeping my fingers crossed.

jaguarr
12-28-2006, 12:04 AM
alright
just give me your IP and open all your ports

There are no open ports and I'm running through a proxy. ;) Hacking into any system, regardless of the OS, from the keyboard isn't a big trick. Sorry.

jag

jaguarr
12-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Cocktail was taking longer to do its thing on the IntelMac. Installed the latest version 3.7.4, which is supposed to be optmized for both PPC and Intel macs. It's definitely working better, but still abit slower than on tyhe PPC G5, which has tons more stuff on it than the Intel. But it seems to work fine, so I guess it's no biggie. Will be getting a BlackMagic Design HDMI i/o card for real-time HDV monitoring soon...keeping my fingers crossed.

Try Onyx. I like it better than Cocktail, personally. Boy, those BlackMagic cards are spendy little dudes. My condolences to your wallet.

jag

KalMart
12-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Try Onyx. I like it better than Cocktail, personally. Boy, those BlackMagic cards are spendy little dudes. My condolences to your wallet.

jag
The HDMI i/o one actually isn't really much at all....around the same as a regular quality video card. The ones with multiple i/o, however, get up there, but on the whole their stuff is quite affordable for what you get. I'll look into Onyx...thanks.

jaguarr
12-29-2006, 01:12 PM
Hey, gang. Here's something I came across today that I thought you might find interesting:

http://www.getdemocracy.com/

A seriously cool piece of free software. Check it out!

jag

KalMart
12-29-2006, 01:19 PM
Does it work with .AVI's encoded with WMV9?

jaguarr
12-29-2006, 01:22 PM
No idea. I just d/l'd it and started playing with it. It does seem to have quite a bit of codec support, though, and the easy access to all this free content is awesome!

jag

KalMart
12-29-2006, 02:04 PM
I dl'ed it....seems a bit slow on the uptake on some things. I'll mess around with it some more.

jaguarr
12-29-2006, 07:43 PM
I've played with the Democracy Player a bit more. Very cool concept. It is a bit sluggish and I don't think I'd use it to play things out of my video collection but for finding interesting content on the 'net it's awesome. I've found a bunch of shows I'd never even heard of that are pretty well done. There's a lot of crap out there, too, but there's definitely things worth checking out on this thing.

jag

aptget
12-30-2006, 01:27 PM
Does it work with .AVI's encoded with WMV9?
Nothing on Mac does, at least to my knowledge.

Although when I was still on my iMac I had some good lucn with this: http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Bay/8128/

Otherwise youll have to boot into XP or Linux

jaguarr
12-30-2006, 02:58 PM

Although when I was still on my iMac I had some good lucn with this: http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Bay/8128/

Actually, Flip4Mac and Mplayer for OSX both support files encoded with WMV9 and I believe the latest VLC software does as well.

jag

KalMart
12-30-2006, 03:45 PM

Y'know what's strange? Quicktime actually does work with .AVI's encoded with WMV9 now. Wierd. It just started working, so maybe they figured things out.

jaguarr
12-30-2006, 03:48 PM
Between Perian and Flip4Mac (and the RealPlayer I keep handy for a-holes who still insist on encoding in that format) I haven't come across a video file I haven't been able to play in quite awhile. :up:

jag

Golgo-13
12-30-2006, 05:55 PM
How do a take an image i found on google and make it my wallpaper? Before i had to re-install 10.2.8 i just saved in in my pictures folder, then went to system pref. then desktop and boom, the pic would be there. Now it's not working. What's the deal?

aptget
12-30-2006, 06:54 PM
Actually, Flip4Mac and Mplayer for OSX both support files encoded with WMV9 and I believe the latest VLC software does as well.

jag
I was thinking of this: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/430898.html

Ive still had no luck

aptget
12-30-2006, 06:56 PM
How do a take an image i found on google and make it my wallpaper? Before i had to re-install 10.2.8 i just saved in in my pictures folder, then went to system pref. then desktop and boom, the pic would be there. Now it's not working. What's the deal?
Go to choose folder and find the folder its in.
Are you sure its still on your comp?

Golgo-13
12-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Yeah, but it shows the JPeg image looking page.

KalMart
12-30-2006, 07:43 PM
Interesting price/performance comparison here btwn Mac and Dell:

http://www.dtgeeks.com/index.php/blogs/comment/mac_pro_vs_dell_precision_the_real_price_compariso n

jaguarr
12-31-2006, 12:56 PM
I was thinking of this: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/430898.html

Ive still had no luck

Try MPlayer for OS X. Documentation isn't those guys' strong suit, but I read somewhere that it will support that format.

jag

Crooklyn
12-31-2006, 02:39 PM
How do a take an image i found on google and make it my wallpaper? Before i had to re-install 10.2.8 i just saved in in my pictures folder, then went to system pref. then desktop and boom, the pic would be there.
This is one of my biggest peeves since using a Mac. It's a pain having to save the pic to a folder, then doing all those steps just to set a wallpaper. Especially since I don't really like saving wallpapers. Pretty tedious if you ask me.

Joe Kerr
12-31-2006, 03:02 PM
This is one of my biggest peeves since using a Mac. It's a pain having to save the pic to a folder, then doing all those steps just to set a wallpaper. Especially since I don't really like saving wallpapers. Pretty tedious if you ask me.
not THAT HARD

just drag , drop

then select as wallpaper.

Golgo-13
12-31-2006, 08:34 PM
I just don't understand why the steps i did before, a ren't working anymore.. :confused:

Golgo-13
12-31-2006, 08:34 PM
I just don't understand why the steps i did before, aren't working anymore.. :confused:

Crooklyn
01-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Maybe someone can help me out here. Recently my Macbook accidentally dropped from my desk (d'oh!) and now one of the hinges for the screen is loose. It opens fine, but if you open it up past a certain point, it'll fall back, and if you close it to a certain point, it falls down (if that makes sense).

Also if you look at it straight-on, you can see the screen slumping to one side, due to a loose hinge. Will Apple take care of this if I go to a nearby Apple store? I have AppleCare and all that, so they should be able to do this right? And if so, can they easily tighten it back up?

Cause if not, I might try to beg them to give me a new one, and I'll just swap in my current hd and ram. :o

jaguarr
01-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Maybe someone can help me out here. Recently my Macbook accidentally dropped from my desk (d'oh!) and now one of the hinges for the screen is loose. It opens fine, but if you open it up past a certain point, it'll fall back, and if you close it to a certain point, it falls down (if that makes sense).

Also if you look at it straight-on, you can see the screen slumping to one side, due to a loose hinge. Will Apple take care of this if I go to a nearby Apple store? I have AppleCare and all that, so they should be able to do this right? And if so, can they easily tighten it back up?

Cause if not, I might try to beg them to give me a new one, and I'll just swap in my current hd and ram. :o

Call AppleCare. :up:

jag

twstd1
01-03-2007, 10:02 AM
I just bought Toast 7 Titanium and was told by a friend of a friend that it was what I needed to back up my kids DVDs...movies all bought at department stores.
So, it pops up that they are protected and will not copy.
Any advice on how to get the dvds back upped?
My kid is so hard on them...

jaguarr
01-03-2007, 11:25 AM
I just bought Toast 7 Titanium and was told by a friend of a friend that it was what I needed to back up my kids DVDs...movies all bought at department stores.
So, it pops up that they are protected and will not copy.
Any advice on how to get the dvds back upped?
My kid is so hard on them...

Toast won't bypass the copy protection. Google "Mactheripper". Should be what you're looking for to pull all the video_ts files off of a DVD and then burn them back to a blank DVD.

jag

twstd1
01-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks...I did find mactheripper. ripped a movie that I own and had it saved to the Desktop. But now when I try to drag the folder to Toast it will not drag and drop. It floats back to the desktop. I feel sooooo close to this being resolved, but stuck!
Oh, and thanks for the quick reply. You rock.

jaguarr
01-03-2007, 12:03 PM
In Toast, make sure you're working within the "Video" tab and have DVD-Video From "VIDEO_TS" selected. You should then be able to drag the entire VIDEO_TS folder for your DVD to the Toast screen and then burn. If this doesn't work, then there is something wrong with your DVD rip.

jag

twstd1
01-03-2007, 12:04 PM
It will drag to the data area, but not the CD/DVD area where it will compress to fit the disc. Whaah, I want my bonus features and what not...

twstd1
01-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Oh my goodness. It seems to be working.
Thanks again.

jaguarr
01-03-2007, 12:14 PM
It's possible you ripped a dual-layer DVD and don't have a dual-layer DVD burner, just for future reference.

jag

KalMart
01-03-2007, 05:15 PM
http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/3848/fight3ais2.jpg

jaguarr
01-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Haha! I don't know where you found that, Kal, but it's awesome! :up:

jag

KalMart
01-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Haha! I don't know where you found that, Kal, but it's awesome! :up:

jag
I actually made it:

http://www.bluetights.net/theplanet/showthread.php?p=1112958#post1112958

jaguarr
01-03-2007, 06:20 PM
I approve! Nicely done! :up:

jag

Crooklyn
01-05-2007, 05:57 PM
How do you allow thumbnails for pictures in the Finder window? It only seems to work if I save an image frm PS, but otherwise, they all just show the default jpg/gif/pmog icon.

Golgo-13
01-05-2007, 06:19 PM
How do i save mutiple files, so that i can save them all as one big file and then burn them to a CD-R? I have a bunch of Photoshop files that i want to save but i know once i burn one to the Cd, i can't add anymore(?)..like burning music to a CD, once you burn it you can't go back and add on songs.....

Golgo-13
01-05-2007, 09:24 PM
I have another question. I asked it before but nobody seems to know the answer. I keep trying to save images from the web to make it my wallpaper. Problem is, when i click on the mouse, select save image as, then save it in my pictures folder, when i go into System pref. and Desktop, the images aren't there...:confused: I click choose folder in Desktop but the images don't show up, all i see is the JPEG poster. It worked before, don't know why it doesn't now.

guitarsingerguy
01-05-2007, 09:29 PM
I have another question. I asked it before but nobody seems to know the answer. I keep trying to save images from the web to make it my wallpaper. Problem is, when i click on the mouse, select save image as, then save it in my pictures folder, when i go into System pref. and Desktop, the images aren't there...:confused: I click choose folder in Desktop but the images don't show up, all i see is the JPEG poster. It worked before, don't know why it doesn't now.

They should be in your pictures folder. When you click on the Desktop, on the left hand side, click on Pictures Folder. That's where all mine go.

jaguarr
01-05-2007, 11:47 PM
Put your saved pictures in Hard Drive > Library > Desktop Pictures . Incidentally, you can simply click your mouse on a picture you want to save in your web browser, drag it to wherever you want to save it and then let go of the mouse button. Done.

jag

jaguarr
01-05-2007, 11:54 PM
How do you allow thumbnails for pictures in the Finder window? It only seems to work if I save an image frm PS, but otherwise, they all just show the default jpg/gif/pmog icon.

Read this. It covers the issue fairly well. (http://groups.google.com/group/alt.mac/browse_thread/thread/3545d322896a6764/19c849a6f523b1d9%2319c849a6f523b1d9)

jag

jaguarr
01-05-2007, 11:54 PM
How do i save mutiple files, so that i can save them all as one big file and then burn them to a CD-R? I have a bunch of Photoshop files that i want to save but i know once i burn one to the Cd, i can't add anymore(?)..like burning music to a CD, once you burn it you can't go back and add on songs.....

Are you trying to burn them with the built in burning capabilities in Finder? If so, you should be able to just save them all in a folder and then burn that folder to a CD-R.

jag

Golgo-13
01-06-2007, 09:06 AM
They should be in your pictures folder. When you click on the Desktop, on the left hand side, click on Pictures Folder. That's where all mine go.

I do see them, the title of them, but next to them i see the JPEG logo and not a preview of the image itself. Plus when i select the folder in system pref, desktop, the image itself doesn't appear in my wallpaper previewer...

Crooklyn
01-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Read this. It covers the issue fairly well. (http://groups.google.com/group/alt.mac/browse_thread/thread/3545d322896a6764/19c849a6f523b1d9%2319c849a6f523b1d9)

jag
Ok, managed to get a hold of the full program. What do I do next, exactly? It's not really explained in the link.

EDIT: Nvm, figured it out. Add to the fact that I just started using the expose corners, my Mac is just that much better. :o :up:

jaguarr
01-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Ok, managed to get a hold of the full program. What do I do next, exactly? It's not really explained in the link.

EDIT: Nvm, figured it out. Add to the fact that I just started using the expose corners, my Mac is just that much better. :o :up:

Cool. :up:

jag

Crooklyn
01-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Anyone know how to "turn off" the feature that pauses youtube movies, or any other movies for that matter, if you switch tabs? It seems to be mac-related, since it's doing it in both Safari and Opera.

KalMart
01-11-2007, 02:04 AM
The iPhone:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Y'know what's wierd is that on New Years Day, a friend told me to buy stock in Apple that day or the next, which was at around 84-86/share...because the word was that something new was right around the corner. Of course I was hung over, so it didn't really stick, but I remember saying that they probably have a phone coming out. The day after the iPhone news release, it went up to 96., and it was then that I remembered the conversation I had. But Jobs still has a possible audit coming up, so there's some other possible dark clouds on the horizon. The phone's still 6 mos. away, and I think it'll really take off about a year from now when the prices drop.

Cingular is also a crap service here in the city

Golgo-13
01-11-2007, 11:06 AM
I've had enough of AOL and my Modem problems, so i ordered DSL from Verizon..i'll see how it works when i get it in a few days

I read somewhere that there's a bug with G4 Macs modems and that my problem with internet connectivty is not as uncommon as i thought..heard it was a problem with the driver..?

Anyhow, i see over at Apple downloads there is a higher version of Mac (higher than my 10.2.8) yet when i run software update, it doesn't detect it. Does that mean my comp won't support the higher version, thus why the update feature is not detecting it..?

Oh, btw. How do i UN-INSTALL AOL COMPLETELY off my comp? Do i just use the finder and drag any and everything that says AOL into the trash?

Crooklyn
01-11-2007, 11:20 PM
My friend wants to get GarageBand back on his macbook. He still has his startup disc, so can he just reinstall it from there without having to reboot everything?

jaguarr
01-15-2007, 12:24 PM
My friend wants to get GarageBand back on his macbook. He still has his startup disc, so can he just reinstall it from there without having to reboot everything?

Yeah, he should just be able to pop it in and reinstall GB ONLY without installing anything else or reinstalling the OS.

jag

jaguarr
01-15-2007, 12:45 PM
I've had enough of AOL and my Modem problems, so i ordered DSL from Verizon..i'll see how it works when i get it in a few days

I read somewhere that there's a bug with G4 Macs modems and that my problem with internet connectivty is not as uncommon as i thought..heard it was a problem with the driver..?

Anyhow, i see over at Apple downloads there is a higher version of Mac (higher than my 10.2.8) yet when i run software update, it doesn't detect it. Does that mean my comp won't support the higher version, thus why the update feature is not detecting it..?

Oh, btw. How do i UN-INSTALL AOL COMPLETELY off my comp? Do i just use the finder and drag any and everything that says AOL into the trash?

I believe Mac OS X 10.2 topped out at 10.2.8. After that came OS X 10.3 and then OS X 10.4, which is what is current. If you want OS X 10.4 then you'll need to go out and buy it, but I would advise you to wait as OS X 10.5 will be out a little bit later this year and will be well worth the investment.

As far as removing AOL from your Mac, just drag the main AOL application to the trash. You can use the Finder and Search to find other AOL files and delete those too. Be careful nuking things with "AIM" in their name, as those are associated with their instant messenger and if you want to keep that and use it, it may not work right afterwards. Personally, I prefer AdiumX for all my IM stuff, but whatever works for ya. :)

jag

Golgo-13
01-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks Jag.

Crooklyn
01-15-2007, 05:23 PM
You can also use AppZapper if you want to make sure everything associated with the program is removed. :up:

aptget
01-15-2007, 07:36 PM
also if there were any fly *****es around you could open up the command line and use rm
all the girls would flock to yo nerdiness

Golgo-13
01-16-2007, 10:51 AM
I believe Mac OS X 10.2 topped out at 10.2.8. After that came OS X 10.3 and then OS X 10.4, which is what is current. If you want OS X 10.4 then you'll need to go out and buy it, but I would advise you to wait as OS X 10.5 will be out a little bit later this year and will be well worth the investment.

As far as removing AOL from your Mac, just drag the main AOL application to the trash. You can use the Finder and Search to find other AOL files and delete those too. Be careful nuking things with "AIM" in their name, as those are associated with their instant messenger and if you want to keep that and use it, it may not work right afterwards. Personally, I prefer AdiumX for all my IM stuff, but whatever works for ya. :)

jag

Well i've hit yet another snag in my quest for better inernet service. Those bozo's over at verizon failed to tell me i needed to have Mac 10.3 or higher..:cmad: , all they told me over the phone while i order DSL was that i needed Mac OS X and i have 10.2.8. Now instead of cancelling my order (I really do want Verizon), i'll just wait a week or two until i can get the upgrade. I was shopping around online for Mac 10.3...but keep seeing things that confused me, like 10.3 'jaguarr' and whatnot...so my question to you is, friend...what EXACTLY do i need?..and the average price....so i know i'm not being ripped off....

jaguarr
01-16-2007, 01:18 PM
I already told you that Leopard (OS X 10.5) is coming out in the next few months. If you've just GOTTA upgrade, then you should upgrade to Tiger (OS X 10.4), which is the current release.

jag

Golgo-13
01-16-2007, 05:48 PM
I know you already told me, but i'd rather not wait. I'll check out OS X Tiger. :up:

Btw, what do you recommend. A clean installation; delete my current 10.2.8 then install 10.4 on my hard drive or just leave it on there and add the newer version as an upgrade?

jaguarr
01-17-2007, 10:04 AM
I know you already told me, but i'd rather not wait. I'll check out OS X Tiger. :up:

Btw, what do you recommend. A clean installation; delete my current 10.2.8 then install 10.4 on my hard drive or just leave it on there and add the newer version as an upgrade?

A clean install is always the best way to go if you've got the time and energy to back up all your files and then reinstall all your programs. I've always used the Archive and Clean Install option when doing that just to save time. But, I've been just flat out upgrading my system without having to reinstall any apps or data since OS X 10.2 and it's running fantastic so your mileage may vary. (I keep a current backup of everything, so I feel relatively safe to do this whereas others may not.)

jag

Golgo-13
01-17-2007, 04:33 PM
A clean install is always the best way to go if you've got the time and energy to back up all your files and then reinstall all your programs. I've always used the Archive and Clean Install option when doing that just to save time. But, I've been just flat out upgrading my system without having to reinstall any apps or data since OS X 10.2 and it's running fantastic so your mileage may vary. (I keep a current backup of everything, so I feel relatively safe to do this whereas others may not.)

jag

Thanks. The Archive and Clean Install option seems like the way to go; where do i go for this option? I leant really quick to backup most of my important stuff on cds, and thumbdrives. I have alot of songs saved on I Tunes, if i do go for a clean install, is there any way to save what i have on I Tunes before deleting everything else..?

jaguarr
01-17-2007, 07:17 PM
The Archive and Clean Install option is just one of the options you can select during installation. It should save all your music and everything. We can get into more detail when you pick up your copy of OS 10.4 and are ready to install. :)

jag

Crooklyn
01-17-2007, 08:05 PM
How do you make all the Finder windows NOT show the file extension (i.e. jpg, gif, avi)?

In the past month I've been just using the rename feature to remove the extensions and the file still seems to work fine. Is this ok, I'm not doing anything wrong, am I? I just need a way to make this automatic for every file.

jaguarr
01-17-2007, 08:11 PM
In the Finder preferences under the Advanced tab, there is an option to either show all file extensions or not. Make sure it's turned off. Some file extensions are just hard-coded into the filename, though, so you can't turn some of them off.

jag

Crooklyn
01-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Heh, I just checked it out, and it is unchecked. Guess the latter part of what you said is true. Kinda sucks I have to manually change it. :o

jaguarr
01-17-2007, 08:46 PM
Heh, I just checked it out, and it is unchecked. Guess the latter part of what you said is true. Kinda sucks I have to manually change it. :o

There are several batch file renamers out there that can help you, but they'll rename all files in a batch to something uniform most of the time.

jag

Crooklyn
01-17-2007, 09:07 PM
I definitely have some use for that. You know any off the top of the head that's really easy to use and can name multiple files however you want?

jaguarr
01-17-2007, 09:09 PM
File Sorter was one that I found pretty good. Check Versiontracker for it. You could also do a search over there for "batch rename" under the OS X area and see what you get. :up:

jag

Golgo-13
01-18-2007, 08:59 AM
The Archive and Clean Install option is just one of the options you can select during installation. It should save all your music and everything. We can get into more detail when you pick up your copy of OS 10.4 and are ready to install. :)

jag

Cool. I'm sure gonna take you up on your offer.:D I just installed Limewire on my comp too..hope i can keep that also.

jaguarr
01-18-2007, 10:11 AM
Cool. I'm sure gonna take you up on your offer.:D I just installed Limewire on my comp too..hope i can keep that also.

Start reading:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/archiveinstall.html

http://www.apple.com/support/tiger/install/

That ought to give you a good edumacation before you do this. :D

jag

Gonking
01-18-2007, 11:46 AM
I have a big problem. I can't see the new posts from the last 7 hours in any thread.

Crooklyn
01-20-2007, 12:08 AM
I'm having trouble loading some pages. Don't know what the problem is, for example, I typed in 'Simone Bianchi' on Google. When I click the first link in the results, the page doesn't change, but oddly the tab name does.

Here's another link that doesn't work on Safari, but does on Opera:
http://www.thefront.com/html/showreels.php

I think it has to do with certain pages, but not sure. Anyone can help?

aptget
01-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Just dont use Safari.

jaguarr
01-20-2007, 11:36 AM
Just dont use Safari.

:D

My question around Crooklyn's problem was whether it happened in all browsers or just one. Get FireFox. :up:

Gonking, sounds like something got configured funky with your account here so no ideas on that one. If it's doing it in different web browsers, that would support that theory. If not, then you've got a configuration issue with your browser.

jag

Crooklyn
01-20-2007, 01:14 PM

My question around Crooklyn's problem was whether it happened in all browsers or just one. Get FireFox. :up:
Firefox? On a Mac? Why not just get Camino? :o

It's coo though, this is why I have 2 separate browsers just in case a webpage doesn't work in one. :up:

jaguarr
01-20-2007, 01:28 PM
I prefer Firefox because there are more extensions, themes and plug-in options over Camino. *kershrug*

jag

Gonking
01-20-2007, 04:59 PM

Gonking, sounds like something got configured funky with your account here so no ideas on that one. If it's doing it in different web browsers, that would support that theory. If not, then you've got a configuration issue with your browser.

jag

thanks, now works fine.

Golgo-13
01-20-2007, 08:19 PM
Well Jag, you should welcome me into the fold. I finally got and installed Mac 10.4.6 today. I love the dash board features. Only probelm is now, I'M STILL having problems connecting to the net. It's seems that a higher power doesn't want me cruising online.

I tried to install Verizon DSL (which required me to upgrade to 10.3 or higher for their service to work) and i still can't connect using the built in ethernet. I spend an hour plus on the phone with the Verizon techs and after he tried every trick in the book, he finally told me the problem was with my Ethernet card...?

Now i have to folk out money to have it looked at. Does this sound about right to you? First having problem with dial-up via my Modem, and now DSL via my Ethernet card?.......i really feel beat having these unnecessary connection issues.

So my question is this: the Verizon tech told me it's a probelm with the Ethernet card in my comp. He said my comp wasn't communicating properly with the DSL modem through the ethernet wire. I believe it may a a problem with the DSL modem they sent me, as i find it a little hard to believe i'm having probelms with both DSL and Dial-up. So what do you think, oh 'Yoda-of Mac', my comps the issue or the DSL modem i was sent?

jaguarr
01-20-2007, 09:59 PM
I think the Verizon tech is full of **** and incompetent and therefore fell back on the "Oh, it must be your hardware" excuse for not being able to solve your problem. Your Mac should have come with a boot CD or DVD that has the Hardware Test program on it. You need to insert it into your computer, reboot holding the "C" key down, and then select it as your startup disk and run hardware test. If it comes back with no errors and says your network card is working fine then call Verizon back and tell them they were wrong and that you still require their assistance getting your Mac configured. :)

jag

Golgo-13
01-21-2007, 09:40 AM
Yeah, i'll run the test. I called them back last night and told them to send me another modem too.

Edit: O.k i'm running the test now and i don't see anything up there that refers to the network card. All i see the 'extended test' checking is:

Airport
Logic Board
Mass storage
Memory
Modem
Video Ram
.............................. :confused:

jaguarr
01-21-2007, 11:18 AM
What model Mac do you have?

Also, this article might be helpful:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106749

jag

Golgo-13
01-21-2007, 12:39 PM
I have a power Mac G4 w/ OS 10.4.6.

As far as The link you posted is concerned; the verizon tech pretty much went through EVERYTHING that's up there, as did i, this morning again, step by step with no success. It's really frustrating.

I'm just wondering, if hardware test detected nothing wrong, does that mean with 100% certainty that it's not my Ethernet card?

I've been googling troubleshooting tips all morning on my wifes laptop with no success. :csad:

jaguarr
01-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Do you have a home network set up at all where you can put your PowerMac onto your home ethernet setup?

jag

Golgo-13
01-21-2007, 12:47 PM
I do not have a home network.

jaguarr
01-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Found an interesting thread here:

http://www.macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-system-mac-software/264830-built-ethernet-card-problem-powerbook-g4.html

Zapping PRAM is simple, just reboot your Mac and hold down "Command(the Apple key)+Option(the Alt key)+P+R" while it is booting, when you hear the startup sound for the seond time the operation is complete, and you can release the key combination. Now just let your Mac boot as normal.

Then follow the instructions in that link to ensure your Mac is seeing your ethernet card.

jag

Golgo-13
01-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks Jag, i'll try it now.

Golgo-13
01-21-2007, 02:22 PM
Tried it. Under the 'more info' button, when i click the apple for 'about this mac', i click on Network and it shows that it sees the Ethernet. Even in System Preferences, under Network it saids " Built-in Ethernet is currently active and has the IP address 192.168.1.47. You are connected to the internet via Built-in Ethernet".....puzzling to say the least..?

The tech's yesterday had me go into Safari and type in the IP address 192.168.1.1 in the Safari browser. A page opened up for Westell (the name of the modem) and a tab there read 'ADVANCE>WAN>WAN DETECTION>STATUS. But on the page below it reads. 'Please connect a DSL Line...? I just tried it again and it says the same thing....

jaguarr
01-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Okay, so your system is seeing the ethernet and it's pulling an IP address. The problem is NOT with your system. It's working fine. It could be a problem with your modem because that looks like a proper gateway IP that your modem is carrying. It could be something on the DSL/cable provider's end. I'd call their tech support again and see if you get someone who knows what they're doing because that guy didn't.

jag

Golgo-13
01-21-2007, 02:56 PM
Okay, so your system is seeing the ethernet and it's pulling an IP address. The problem is NOT with your system. It's working fine. It could be a problem with your modem because that looks like a proper gateway IP that your modem is carrying. It could be something on the DSL/cable provider's end. I'd call their tech support again and see if you get someone who knows what they're doing because that guy didn't.

jag

I'll do just that.:yay:

Crooklyn
01-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Ok, this has bugged me recently, since I started backing up my data. In Finder, if you select multiple files and cmd + i, why the hell does it show SEPARATE properties? I wanna know total data size, and it's forcing me to just add 'em up manually. :mad:

aptget
01-23-2007, 08:44 PM
You could always move them to a folder and check that.
also:
www.distrowatch.com

jaguarr
01-23-2007, 09:33 PM
Yup. Move 'em into a folder. :up: There's also a nice freeware tool ported over from Windows called Treesize: http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.de/Freeware/TreeSize.shtml

jag

Golgo-13
01-24-2007, 06:40 PM
Finally i got my DSL to work! It wasn't the Ethernet..it was the damn modem! I have a massive radio tower a block from my house. The Verizon tech came over and spent 4 hours troubleshooting my line, then finally figured out that i needed a modem that blocks the radio frequencies.

jaguarr
01-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Finally i got my DSL to work! It wasn't the Ethernet..it was the damn modem! I have a massive radio tower a block from my house. The Verizon tech came over and spent 4 hours troubleshooting my line, then finally figured out that i needed a modem that blocks the radio frequencies.

Awesome! Told ya it wasn't your system! :up:

jag

aptget
01-24-2007, 09:13 PM
So Glorious
Victorious
Golgo With His Warriors
Dsl Modem
Jag Told Em

jaguarr
01-24-2007, 09:16 PM
I would have preferred a haiku! :cmad:

jag

Golgo-13
01-25-2007, 05:12 PM
Question: all you guys that have DSL and have a modem with a router, do you ever cut the modem off when not using the internet, or do you just leave it on?

jaguarr
01-25-2007, 05:32 PM
I just leave mine on all the time. Just make sure your firewall is set up properly (should be by default).

jag

Crooklyn
01-25-2007, 06:55 PM
...hmm. Where is this firewall? :O

aptget
01-25-2007, 06:59 PM
System Prefs---->Sharing---->Firewall Tab
I know this is Jag the Gawds thread I feel like an *******

Crooklyn
01-25-2007, 07:04 PM
What the...it's off. :dry:

What the hell do I do on this tab? :(

aptget
01-25-2007, 07:10 PM
just pull your ethernet cable out of the wall
NO MORE PROBLEMS
NO VIRUSES
you are free

You dont really need it on, mines off on my iMac, I have a hardware firewall that I mess w/.

aptget
01-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Actually yea
forget firewalls
they are for pussies.
Real men surf with all their boxes in the DMZ subnet son.
BE A MAN

jaguarr
01-25-2007, 07:36 PM
System Prefs---->Sharing---->Firewall Tab
I know this is Jag the Gawds thread I feel like an *******

Nahhh...your help is more than welcome in here, man. :up:

I ain't surfin' in the DMZ without protection, though! :D

jag

Crooklyn
01-25-2007, 07:43 PM
I's confoozed. :(

aptget
01-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks man I really appreciate it
Just dont bust your J, A, and G keys
I see you jamming on them.

Golgo-13
01-25-2007, 08:31 PM
I just leave mine on all the time. Just make sure your firewall is set up properly (should be by default).

jag
Cool. First thing i did once i got online was download the latest software update ,so now i'm up to 10.4.8.

Another thing i noticed is, before when i clicked on a picture, lets say one i googled, i would get a menu that would ask me 'save image as' or whatnot, so i could post a pic on the HYPE using the IMG tags from the url that would get copied from when i did this. Now when i click on an image, nothing happens. :confused: How the hell do i post an image on the Hype now, if when i click on the mouse, it gives me no options...?

Da Docta
01-25-2007, 08:34 PM
Cool. First thing i did once i got online was download the latest software update ,so now i'm up to 10.4.8.

Another thing i noticed is, before when i clicked on a picture, lets say one i googled, i would get a menu that would ask me 'save image as' or whatnot, so i could post a pic on the HYPE using the IMG tags from the url that would get copied from when i did this. Now when i click on an image, nothing happens. :confused: How the hell do i post an image on the Hype now, if when i click on the mouse, it gives me no options...?

How down control and click the image.

Orko Is King
01-25-2007, 09:26 PM
What's a good way to resize photos on a Mac? I need some freeware.

aptget
01-25-2007, 09:29 PM
I always recommend the Gimp for everything
Its essentially photoshop, not quite as powerful but its free: http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

OPEN SOURCE TOO

Da Docta
01-25-2007, 09:40 PM
What's a good way to resize photos on a Mac? I need some freeware.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/developer/imageshackle.html

Pretty cool widget.

Golgo-13
01-26-2007, 07:59 AM
How down control and click the image.
Ah.:up:

Golgo-13
01-27-2007, 09:31 AM
Question: I'm thinking about getting some more memory (RAM). Does that increase the task speed or is it just for storage?

jaguarr
01-27-2007, 10:23 AM
More RAM is one of the cheapest and easiest ways to upgrade the speed of your computer. It gives the OS and other applications more free memory from which to do their thing. RAM is very fast memory and the more you have, the less the OS and your app's have to use a swap file on your hard drive, which can slow things down immensely. :up:

jag

aptget
01-27-2007, 09:03 PM
What kind of RAM
Newegg.com is the best

jaguarr
01-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Newegg is good. I also like Crucial.com. :up:

jag

Golgo-13
01-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Just checked out crucial.com. They have great prices over there, i went and ordered 512MB....

Mrh7448
01-30-2007, 02:15 PM
I've just got a Mac Pro and I'm looking to add some ram. Do I actually have to do it in pairs as the book implies? Or can I just add a single stick at a time?

jaguarr
01-30-2007, 02:19 PM
I've just got a Mac Pro and I'm looking to add some ram. Do I actually have to do it in pairs as the book implies? Or can I just add a single stick at a time?

Yes, you need to add memory in the Mac Pro's in matched pairs.

jag

Mrh7448
01-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Yes, you need to add memory in the Mac Pro's in matched pairs.

jag

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was one of those preferred things or an actuality. Kinda sucks money wise though.

Da Docta
01-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Is there a way to retrieve history once it's deleted in Safari?

jaguarr
01-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Is there a way to retrieve history once it's deleted in Safari?

Not unless you've been running regular backups of your system.

jag

Da Docta
01-30-2007, 02:43 PM
k, thanks.

twylight
01-31-2007, 06:34 PM
Stupid question...how do I open up a 'new window' while in Safari?

jaguarr
01-31-2007, 06:46 PM
Stupid question...how do I open up a 'new window' while in Safari?

Command(apple key)+N :up:

Did you go and get yourself a Mac? :)

jag

twylight
01-31-2007, 07:01 PM
Command(apple key)+N :up:

Did you go and get yourself a Mac? :)

jag

Nope, not yet :(

I'm on the one at the College :)

Is everything on a Mac hotkeyed?

jaguarr
01-31-2007, 07:08 PM
Yeah, there's a lot of stuff that has a shortcut on the keyboard:

Here (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459).

jag

aptget
01-31-2007, 07:33 PM
Not mac specific but
How would I be able to find out all the subdirectories a site has
For example

www.abc.com
I want to be able to see what subdirectories it has, such as /images, /movies, etc

Besides typing in every possible combination

twylight
01-31-2007, 08:24 PM
Another stupid one, I can't right click *well I can but nothing happens*
How do I save a pic off the internet? Sorry >.< but when I go to google to ask..Safari shuts down..

Crooklyn
01-31-2007, 08:49 PM
How do I save a pic off the internet? Sorry >.< but when I go to google to ask..Safari shuts down..
1) Enable right-click function in your system preferences
2) Ditch Safari and start using Camino (barebones browser but fast), Opera (fast and secure with decent features), or Firefox (pretty fast with a huge abundance of extensions to improve the browser)

jaguarr
01-31-2007, 08:51 PM
Not mac specific but
How would I be able to find out all the subdirectories a site has
For example

www.abc.com (http://www.abc.com)
I want to be able to see what subdirectories it has, such as /images, /movies, etc

Besides typing in every possible combination

I've always just used a website ripper to do that.

jag

jaguarr
01-31-2007, 08:52 PM

Click on the image and hold down your left mouse button and then drag it to your desktop or the folder you want it to be saved to. Done.

jag

twylight
01-31-2007, 10:02 PM
Click on the image and hold down your left mouse button and then drag it to your desktop or the folder you want it to be saved to. Done.

jag

I hate you.

And I want an ibook clamshell.

BOOYAH! Also if I hold down control and click my option :p

Crooklyn
02-01-2007, 12:38 AM
Can anyone post again those additional codecs to allow QT to play certain video files? I know VLC solves most of the problems, but I'd just like to have 'em handy.

jaguarr
02-01-2007, 08:40 AM
Can anyone post again those additional codecs to allow QT to play certain video files? I know VLC solves most of the problems, but I'd just like to have 'em handy.

Perian (http://perian.org/) handles 9/10's of 'em. :up:

jag

Golgo-13
02-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Question:

How do i remove a bookmark in Safari?

Da Docta
02-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Question:

How do i remove a bookmark in Safari?

Drag it to trash.

Golgo-13
02-02-2007, 07:45 PM
^Thanks.

jaguarr
02-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Great Windows to Mac Switcher's Guides here:

http://switchtoamac.com/guides/

:up:

jag

jaguarr
02-06-2007, 11:50 AM
GREAT news for gamers on the Mac platform, kids:

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/12541/

jag

Matt Murdock
02-09-2007, 09:07 PM
I have a playstation 3 and a Wii and I was wondering if anyone knew how to connect my ps3 to the internet via my airport. I've searched high and low, but nothing works.

I think my airport uses a wep:

Network name: adelphia
password: adelphia10

help please!

jaguarr
02-09-2007, 09:13 PM
I have a playstation 3 and a Wii and I was wondering if anyone knew how to connect my ps3 to the internet via my airport. I've searched high and low, but nothing works.

I think my airport uses a wep:

Network name: adelphia
password: adelphia10

help please!

No clue, dude. I can help you configure the Airport but I don't have a Wii or a PS3 and that's where you need the help with configurations. Try the gaming forums (and don't give 'em your freakin' passwords, man).

jag

Cmill216
02-10-2007, 12:07 PM
jag, what's the best FREE program out there for video file to GIF conversion?

jaguarr
02-10-2007, 12:39 PM

GIMP.

jag

Cmill216
02-10-2007, 12:41 PM
I'll give it a look.

Props. :up:

Cmill216
02-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Okay, so I just went through the whole x11 fiasco with GIMP. I don't have the OSX install disc on me, so is there any way else to get x11?

jaguarr
02-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Okay, so I just went through the whole x11 fiasco with GIMP. I don't have the OSX install disc on me, so is there any way else to get x11?

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/x11formacosx.html

jag

Cmill216
02-10-2007, 01:38 PM
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/x11formacosx.html

"You cannot install X11 on this volume. Newer software already exists on your computer."

And yet when I try to open GIMP, I get the same 'need X11' alert. The hell?

jaguarr
02-10-2007, 01:54 PM
"You cannot install X11 on this volume. Newer software already exists on your computer."

And yet when I try to open GIMP, I get the same 'need X11' alert. The hell?

Are you running OS X 10.4? I forgot that the version of X11 on Apple's site doesn't work with 10.4. You have to get X11 off of your Tiger install DVD or it won't work.

jag

Cmill216
02-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Are you running OS X 10.4?

Yup. 10.4.8 and newly updated.

I forgot that the version of X11 on Apple's site doesn't work with 10.4. You have to get X11 off of your Tiger install DVD or it won't work.

Alright. No problem. I appreciate the help.

Crooklyn
02-11-2007, 01:17 AM
Anyone know if it's possible to enable a Mac-only ipod to be connected to a PC? My ipod was formatted for windows out of the box, but when I got my Macbook, I reformatted it to the Mac.
Problem is, now my PC can't see the ipod whenever it's hooked up. I know it has something to do with FAT32 and NTFS. Beyond that however, I've got no clue.

jaguarr
02-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Anyone know if it's possible to enable a Mac-only ipod to be connected to a PC? My ipod was formatted for windows out of the box, but when I got my Macbook, I reformatted it to the Mac.
Problem is, now my PC can't see the ipod whenever it's hooked up. I know it has something to do with FAT32 and NTFS. Beyond that however, I've got no clue.

If it's formatted for your Mac, your PC isn't going to be able to read it.

jag

aptget
02-12-2007, 03:17 PM
In general, FAT32 works fine for both Windows and Mac
NTFS is readable and writable in windows but only readable in Tiger
HFS/HFS+ is writable and readable with 3rd party apps in windows

Mrh7448
03-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Okay I'm not exactly what you would call tech savvy.

I'm looking to upgrade my memory in my Mac Pro. Does the PC# mean matter? I've seen the same memory 667MHz ECC FB-Dimm with either PC5300 or PC5400, would it matter which one was used or is there that much of a difference?

jaguarr
03-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Okay I'm not exactly what you would call tech savvy.

I'm looking to upgrade my memory in my Mac Pro. Does the PC# mean matter? I've seen the same memory 667MHz ECC FB-Dimm with either PC5300 or PC5400, would it matter which one was used or is there that much of a difference?

Read this (http://www.barefeats.com/quad09.html) and then head over to [http://www.crucial.com]Crucial.com[/url]. They'll help you select the correct memory for your upgrade and give you a very good deal on it as well. :up:

jag

Mrh7448
03-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks Jag, much appreciated

KalMart
03-12-2007, 04:53 AM
So I wonder...with the pending release of the new ATI "Dragon's Head" video card,

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2492

if the prices on the current 'upgrade' ATI Radeon X1900T will drop for the MacPro. Just got a Matrox MXO for incorporating into my editing system for realtime HDV monitoring/otuput and HD to SD downconversion....

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/5273/mxoj1.jpg

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/9352/isobbke8.jpg

It uses its own hardware acceleration to to take your HD output video from your secondary DVI otuput and scale it in real time with gamma correction for both HD on an external LCD monitor as well as SD NTSC monitoring, and SDI out in either res...and although it runs fine on the stock NVidia 7300GT, the ATI might be even better. Any insight on this, Jag? On the new card, that is.

jaguarr
03-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Hey, Kal. Good to see you. I have to confess that I don't follow the graphics card rumors as closely as some of the other things I track. I do know that video card rumors tend to be fairly reliable, though. It may take awhile for the 1900 to come down in price after Dragon's Head is released, but I would imagine that it will at some point, at least to a certain extent, as it will no longer be the top end of their line. The only thing I worry about with ATI is that their acquisition by AMD will effect them in quality and reliability or in terms of customer service/support or even longevity since AMD is having some pretty bad financial problems.

jag

KalMart
03-12-2007, 03:26 PM
I've had some issues with ATI cards in the past...took me 3 cards to get a good one when I put a Radeon 9600 in my G5. There have also been some reports of audio issues attributed to the ATI cards. Thing is, aside from the stock GeForce 7300GT for the Pro, there's only the Radeon X1900T and the ludicrously expensive NVidea Quadro 4500. Not crazy about the extra fan on the ATI card, but I realize that they need them. Just another thing making noise, and it's not like these things need more heat running through them. The MXO only recently worked out some firmware bugs and issues it had with the ATI card. Wish NVidia would come out with a 7800 for the Mac Pro. I've always had better luck with their cards.

jaguarr
03-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I've always been more of an Nvidia fan myself, rather than an ATI fan.

jag

KalMart
03-13-2007, 06:44 PM
OS X 10.4.9 just came out. I'm smack in the middle of a big edit project (The NY Comic Con, of all things!), so I'm going to hold off on my Intel Mac Pro running FCP 5.1.4 on 10.4.8...don't want to risk it, but I might take the plunge later tonight on my G5 PPC PowerMac. Trying to keep an eye on the discussion boards for issues, but you figure that it's the last version before Leopard, so there's not a whole lot of wiggle room to not get it right.

Jag, be my guest to bite the bullet and step into the fire on this update...and tell us what's up.

jaguarr
03-14-2007, 10:57 AM
I usually wait a few days on service releases to see if they've got any major bugs. I'm content to let others guinea pig their systems and then report any issues they see on some of the Mac tech forums I frequent. Looks like this one may have a few bugs in it, too. I'll give it a few more days before I take the plunge.

jag

Crooklyn
03-14-2007, 01:21 PM
What are the bugs? I just updated yesterday, haven't had any problems yet. As for the fixes, here's a list:

- RAW camera support
- Handling of large or malformed images that could cause crashes
- Image capture performance
- Mouse scrolling and keyboard shortcuts
- Font handling
- Playback quality, and bookmarks in DVD Player
- USB video conferencing cameras for use with iChat
- Bluetooth devices
- Browsing AFP servers
- Apple USB Modem
- Windows-created digital certificates
- Open and Print dialogs in applications that use Rosetta on Intel-based Macs
- Time zone and daylight saving for 2006 and 2007
- Security updates

jaguarr
03-14-2007, 01:49 PM
I've read about the following bugs cropping up for some people:

Various shortcut keys no longer work
Eject button key no longer works
Failed Update Installs
Loss of "n" functionality in new high-speed Airport wireless cards
Various system crash reports

That's just off the top of my head.

I'll wait a few days. :)

jag

KalMart
03-15-2007, 11:51 AM
I've read of a lot of issues using the computer's 'Software Update' function, rather than downloading the 'Combo Update' from the apple site. Did the combo update on my G5 and everything seems fine...FCP, Pro Tools, all good. I'm goign to wait until I'm done with my edit project on the Mac Pro before doing the combo on that.

jaguarr
03-15-2007, 12:09 PM
I'm going to update my PowerBook tonight and see how it goes. (I always use the Combo Update myself). If I don't find any major bugs from doing that, then I'll go ahead and update my G5 and my wife's MacBook. At some point I'm going to have to update my boxes and make the Intel switch, I suppose. They still run so damn good, though, it seems like a waste of money at the moment. I'll probably wait until they're a little longer in the tooth before I do it and then turn my G5 into a storage and media server or something.

jag

Scarlet spidey
03-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Sure.. I had to read this once I almost finish updating.. Wish me luck, then. ;)

KalMart
03-15-2007, 01:18 PM
I'm going to update my PowerBook tonight and see how it goes. (I always use the Combo Update myself). If I don't find any major bugs from doing that, then I'll go ahead and update my G5 and my wife's MacBook. At some point I'm going to have to update my boxes and make the Intel switch, I suppose. They still run so damn good, though, it seems like a waste of money at the moment. I'll probably wait until they're a little longer in the tooth before I do it and then turn my G5 into a storage and media server or something.

jag

Plus, that 'Octo' core Mac Pro will probably be introduced at NAB this April (nice to just a few months after I spent all this money on the Dual 3.0 Intel :cmad: !).

Bring on Leopard already! Although I wonder if putting 10.5 on my G5 would be a good idea.

jaguarr
03-15-2007, 01:26 PM
I plan on putting Leopard on my G5. I've played with the beta releases a little bit on a buddy's machine and it's outstanding. Seems to run great on his G5 iMac test machine, and if that thing will run it well then I KNOW my dual proc G5 will. But, yeah.....Octo-Core MacPro.....*drools*

jag

KalMart
03-15-2007, 01:49 PM
I plan on putting Leopard on my G5. I've played with the beta releases a little bit on a buddy's machine and it's outstanding. Seems to run great on his G5 iMac test machine, and if that thing will run it well then I KNOW my dual proc G5 will. But, yeah.....Octo-Core MacPro.....*drools*

jag

I'm not so much concerned about my ol' G5 handling the 10.5...it's Pro Tools! DigiDesign has been notorious in either taking their sweet time updating their compatability/drivers, or putting out versions that take any several of many beta-fix-subversion-doohickey installs to target different bugs for different users. But before I make the jump to Leopard on the G5, I've got to get the logic board replaced while it's still under AppleCare. Still have fan noise issues and a few other things that have always plagued it. The MacPro, however, has been rockin' from day one.

The only other things is if RAM OS useage is going up considerably with each new version.

jaguarr
03-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Yeah, DigiDesign does have a reputation for dragging their ass to make their products compatible with latest release OS updates. I don't think Leopard's going to put any more of a strain on RAM requirements than Tiger already does, though.

jag

KalMart
03-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Did the combo updates for 10.4.9 on both the G5 and the Mac Pro...both seem to be working fine with all the apps. Whew! Bring on the Leopard!

jaguarr
03-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Alright, all systems in my house are now at 10.4.9. No problems to report. Seems to run nicely and applications seem to start up quicker, which is in line with what I've been reading elsewhere.

jag

KalMart
03-17-2007, 06:25 PM
The first reboot after installation took forever. After that, my MacPro was starting up pretty slowly. It turned out to be a login item that I didn't need, so I got rid of it, and startups are very fast now. There have been some reports of prebinding issues with the new installation:

http://www.unsanity.org/archives/mac_os_x/shock_and_awe.php

But luckily, none with mine. Remember that prebinding command that you had to type into the terminal window in Linux a while back? Wonder if that still applies....just in case.

Golgo-13
03-17-2007, 09:32 PM
Just did a software check and i see, as other's have said, that there is now an update 10.4.9. Updating as we speak.

KalMart
03-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Just did a software check and i see, as other's have said, that there is now an update 10.4.9. Updating as we speak.

'DOH! Dunno if it's too late, but you should definitely go to the apple site under 'support - downloads' and download the 'combo update', instead of using your computer's automatic 'software update' function. There have been stability issues with the computer's software update. Also, don't run any other apps or even have them open while updating, like a web browser. Good luck.

Golgo-13
03-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Well, so far so good; thanks for the heads up. I haven't noticed any problems since i downloaded it last night....

Cmill216
03-18-2007, 01:41 PM

GIMP.

So I eventually got GIMP going, but I'm not any closer to figuring out how to do video to GIF conversions in it. I've fooled around with the program for a bit now, but I've come up with nothing.

jaguarr
03-18-2007, 01:48 PM
So I eventually got GIMP going, but I'm not any closer to figuring out how to do video to GIF conversions in it. I've fooled around with the program for a bit now, but I've come up with nothing.

Been awhile since I've mucked with GIMP, but I believe you can just drag and drop your video onto GIMP in the Dock and it will automate the conversion. It's either GIMP or Imageready that works like that, but I can never remember which. Just make sure you have the gif animation package for GIMP installed.

jag

jaguarr
03-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Stumbled across a nice Mac Software listing resource this morning:

Pure Mac (http://www.pure-mac.com/)

Thought I'd share.

jag

Cmill216
03-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Just make sure you have the gif animation package for GIMP installed.

I don't believe it's currently installed, so I'll have to dig for it elsewhere.

Pure Mac (http://www.pure-mac.com/)

Thought I'd share.

I've been using PureMac for a while now. Some really good stuff on there.

jaguarr
03-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Thought I'd bump this with mention of a little app that can save you quite a bit of hard disk space. One of the great things about Macs is that Apple localizes the OS and a lot of it's applications for a HUGE variety of languages. The nice thing about this over say a Microsoft OS, is that it comes ready for whatever language you speak, right out of the box, instead of having to buy a special copy of the OS in Spanish or whatever language you speak. Many app makers follow Apple's lead with their third-party apps for Mac OS X, too. While this is a really cool feature, it also eats up quite a bit of disk space. Enter Monolingual (http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/). This cool little free tool automates the process of removing the languages you don't use from your system and applications, thereby freeing up disk space. Well worth downloading and running if you only have a need for one or two languages.

jag

Golgo-13
03-24-2007, 11:18 AM
Browser problems?

I can't access certain sites, ALL OF A SUDDEN. I get a blank, white page when i click on links for certain sites that i used to be able to access with no problem. I can access these same sites on my wifes lap top, no problem, so the issue is not with the site itself. How do i remedy this with my comp...?

KalMart
03-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Which browser are you using? Mozilla, Safari?

Golgo-13
03-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Safari.

Cmill216
03-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Golgo, my Safari tends to have issues with certain random sites and/or videos and things of that nature. I would suggest getting Firefox and see if those sites pull up for you then.

I still run Safari mainly, but I shoot over to Mozilla whenever I run into an issue.

Golgo-13
03-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Where do i get Mozilla from?

Cmill216
03-24-2007, 05:17 PM
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Golgo-13
03-24-2007, 05:26 PM
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Crooklyn
03-25-2007, 02:18 AM
What's a good program to securely keep track/store passwords? I had very little use for them, but now I'm juggling 35+ distinct passwords, and it's giving my brain a major headache from keeping track. :O

KalMart
03-25-2007, 02:43 AM
What's a good program to securely keep track/store passwords? I had very little use for them, but now I'm juggling 35+ distinct passwords, and it's giving my brain a major headache from keeping track. :O

Make a little TextEdit file with all your passwords and keep it in a secret location. Just don't forget where that location is.

Crooklyn
03-25-2007, 02:51 AM
Yeah, that could work, but any user that takes a look through spotlight or something would easily find it, no? :o

Cmill216
03-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Yeah, that could work, but any user that takes a look through spotlight or something would easily find it, no? :o

Actually you can set your Spotlight preferences to make it so that the file won't be picked up by Spotlight.

jaguarr
03-26-2007, 02:56 PM

I've never had need for one, but if Kalmart's text file idea doesn't appeal to you, check out the list of password utilities at Pure Mac (http://www.pure-mac.com/para.html). Bound to be one in there that you like.

jag

KalMart
04-02-2007, 04:48 AM
Heh...Apple Discussion site has been down all day...April Fools, right? They should've put a Windows Vista banner across the top.

KalMart
04-04-2007, 01:46 PM
The OCTO has arrived!

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

jaguarr
04-05-2007, 12:29 PM
I know...I saw that yesterday. 8-Core Mac Pro's. Mmmmmmm....yum!

jag

KalMart
04-06-2007, 12:18 AM
Did you know that some folks have already bought the separate processors and swapped them out in their Quads? I believe the operative term is Hackintosh.

jaguarr
04-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Haha! Yeah, when the switch to Intel chips was made I knew we'd be seeing more of that. I know people have been upgrading iMacs and Mac Mini's with updated chips as well.

jag

KalMart
04-12-2007, 04:44 PM
No Leopard until Oct. 07!!

Article:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070412/sfth056.html?.v=87

Too bad...more waiting....hope they try out and work out all the bugs in the meantime.

I was hoping to hear about the Octo Core running Leopard with FCP 6 Extreme after this weekend's NAB show. Oh well

jaguarr
04-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I've been expecting the delay, and for the same reasons that Apple stated; they stole away Leopard developers to work on the iPhone. Not a big shocker to me, really.

jag

KalMart
04-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Rumor has it that the real reason is because they're too busy helping Microsoft fix Vista.

:cwink:

KalMart
04-15-2007, 11:43 PM
FCP 6 at NAB:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/15/apple-keynote-live-from-nab-2007/

Just ordered the upgrade, should be here in a month. Ho' boy......

jaguarr
04-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Haven't looked that close at FCP6, Kal. What are the major changes/new features?

jag

Golgo-13
04-18-2007, 04:56 PM
How do i save the link below, into my itunes library?

http://www.firefilms.com/torrents/Sleeper_CELL_Theme.mp3

Cmill216
04-18-2007, 05:00 PM
I'd just alt+click and then drag it into iTunes. *shrug*

EDIT: I just did that, and it took me literally five seconds.

Golgo-13
04-18-2007, 05:22 PM
I'd just alt+click and then drag it into iTunes. *shrug*

EDIT: I just did that, and it took me literally five seconds.
It worked. You are a beautiful human being.:yay: :up:

KalMart
04-18-2007, 11:23 PM
Haven't looked that close at FCP6, Kal. What are the major changes/new features?

jag

It's a lot to go through, but I'll try and break some of it down.

Final Cut Studio 2 (FCS2)

FCP 6:
- More effects.

- more format support

- ProRes 422...a new codec that will offer uncompressed HD video quality at SD file-sizes with 4:2:2 color sampling and real-time effects, with smooth intraframe performance for non-destructive editing.

- Open format timeline...you can import and edit multiple resolutions/codecs/framerates in the same timeline in realtime with no transcoding. You can also apply ProRes 422 to the entire timeline and continue in that format across the board, rather than transcoding each clip into a new file and re-importing.

- 2K and 4K res editing capability (see later)

Motion 3:
- New 3D animation and lighting features rivaling those of Adobe After Effects...with templates that you can open IN FCP without switching between the two.

- More particle and motion effects.

- All res's up to 4K

Soundtrack Pro:
- Quicker integration with FCP and 5.1 surround mixing capabilities.

Shake
- Not so familiar with this.

Color:

This is the biggie. Formerly Silicon Final Touch...which is the most powerful and intuitive color-correction app short of a full-blown top-end Avid Symphony system (which could cost $250K and up). Final Touch, up until about month ago or so, ranged from a $7000 basic package to a $25K one capable of 2K res...and it's thrown in with FCS2 for no extra charge.

FCS2 as a straight-up purchase is still only $1299, $499 for an upgrade from FCS1...and they added Color for free. FREE! A $25,000 application, now included for no extra cost. Short of maybe MPEG Streamclip...this is the best bargain in media apllications in history. :P

And...with FCP6, you get a direct compatability and a streamlined workflow with this cool camera...

http://www.red.com/

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/620/redone5ald8.jpg
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/4835/redone8alq9.jpg

Which can shoot up to 4K res and has a 35mm PL mount for motion picture lenses. You just have to read through what it can do to believe it.

My DP/Coworker (who is still out there) and I put a deposit down on one, so we should be receiving one by this Summer.

Basically, Apple and Red OWNED NAB 2007 from the first day. Hardly anyone spent any time at the other booths, and many more are still waiting in lines around the facility to get into the Apple and Red tents. Red received over a thousand pre-orders for the RedOne within the first three days...and today it's up past 6000. It's unbelievable, and we're on board completely now.

twylight
05-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Brought my new Macbook Pro home last night! ^_^

And as I'm *practically* jumping right into a Mac with no prior experience, does anyone have any helpful tips?

Cmill216
05-06-2007, 02:53 PM
And as I'm *practically* jumping right into a Mac with no prior experience, does anyone have any helpful tips?

Play around, play around, and play around some more. The little tutorials are nice and all, but just exploring the Mac and discovering all of the features will take some time. So just cruise through it and enjoy the ride. :cool:

jaguarr
05-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Congratulations on your new MacBook, Twy. I think you're at the start of a beautiful love affair. :) Like cmill said, just explore and play around. Some folks find it helpful to pick up a Mac OS X For Dummies book (make sure it's for 10.4.x Tiger, if you do) to help them get familiar with everything in there and how things work.

jag

twylight
05-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Congratulations on your new MacBook, Twy. I think you're at the start of a beautiful love affair. :) Like cmill said, just explore and play around. Some folks find it helpful to pick up a Mac OS X For Dummies book (make sure it's for 10.4.x Tiger, if you do) to help them get familiar with everything in there and how things work.

jag

I hope it's not a love affair! The incest! O.O
It's name is 'Baby'...Cary Grant..Katherine Hepburn...:o anyway....
*yes...I named it*

I've cruised around all day, and it's pretty familiar since I use an iMac at school for PS, now I just need to figure out how to transfer my files from my Dell over to it and decided on which Office for Mac I'm getting ^_^

*wiggles all happy*

Is it advisable to get an invisi-shield or something to put on the handrests or anywhere else?

P.S. I went to play chess on it and there's a creepy voice that the computer uses to say its move...how do I turn that off?

jaguarr
05-07-2007, 12:42 PM
I hope it's not a love affair! The incest! O.O
It's name is 'Baby'...Cary Grant..Katherine Hepburn...:o anyway....
*yes...I named it*

I've cruised around all day, and it's pretty familiar since I use an iMac at school for PS, now I just need to figure out how to transfer my files from my Dell over to it and decided on which Office for Mac I'm getting ^_^

*wiggles all happy*

Is it advisable to get an invisi-shield or something to put on the handrests or anywhere else?

P.S. I went to play chess on it and there's a creepy voice that the computer uses to say its move...how do I turn that off?

Migrating Files From Your PC To Your Mac 101 (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304721)

Marware makes a nice keyboard protector and handrest pad combo (http://www.marware.com/PRODUCTS/Apple-Laptop-Products/Protection-Pack-Plus-for-MacBook).

In the Chess program, go File> Preferences and then deselect the "Speak Computer Moves" box.

Have fun! :)

jag

jaguarr
05-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Indespinsable tips for Windows to Mac switchers (http://www.macinstruct.com/node/124). :up:

jag

twylight
05-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Thanks Jag, it's very useful!

Hmm...poor Wieg. :( I'm bombarding him with questions..>.<
So I'll try to branch out a bit.

I'm looking for Office for Mac for all of my word/excel/powerpoint files I have *there are many* as a student is it advantageous to buy the Student/Teacher edition?
A few people have suggested OpenOffice to me but since my entire campus and work runs Microsoft Office I want to make absolutly certain my files can seamlessly merge over.

Also I find myself in need of Windows for the Publisher program I *have* to have for work. Which XP edition is best?

Golgo-13
05-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Once i 'command+Shift+4' to capture an image, what do i do to past the image i've captured?

jaguarr
05-08-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm looking for Office for Mac for all of my word/excel/powerpoint files I have *there are many* as a student is it advantageous to buy the Student/Teacher edition?
A few people have suggested OpenOffice to me but since my entire campus and work runs Microsoft Office I want to make absolutly certain my files can seamlessly merge over.

Well, NeoOffice opens and writes back to absolutely every MS Office file format, including the brand new ones on the new on the Windows version of Office that MS hasn't even released a converter for on the Mac side so that Mac Office can read them. The new file format isn't very pervasive, though, and isn't gaining huge traction, so I wouldn't worry about that all that much. That said, the Student/Teacher edition of Mac Office is the full version of the product at a reduced price, so it should be fine for your use.

Also I find myself in need of Windows for the Publisher program I *have* to have for work. Which XP edition is best?

If you've GOTTA run Windows, use XP Pro. You can do it with a dual boot or with Parallels, which is what I would recommend.

Once i 'command+Shift+4' to capture an image, what do i do to past the image i've captured?

It should create an image file on your desktop. You should be able to insert it into a document like any other image file.

jag

twylight
05-09-2007, 01:00 AM
So..you prefer Parallels over BootCamp? *just clarifying*

I'm assuming an OEM version of Windows XP Pro wouldn't work, would it?

jaguarr
05-09-2007, 12:59 PM
So..you prefer Parallels over BootCamp? *just clarifying*

I'm assuming an OEM version of Windows XP Pro wouldn't work, would it?

I prefer Parallels over Bootcamp, yes. The only reason I'd boot directly into BootCamp is to play a hardware intensive game that wouldn't run under Parallels. Parallels is actually set up to use the same Windows partition as BootCamp if you want it to. The only downside is that there is a rumor that the BootCamp beta that is out will expire at some point and you'll have to either upgrade to Leopard or pay extra for the final version of BootCamp. An OEM version of XP Pro should work fine as long as it is the full install that includes Service Pack 2 already built into the install. Anything without SP2 isn't going to run or install correctly.

jag

twylight
05-09-2007, 06:20 PM
*scratches head* I don't get the first part with the partitions and BootCamp and Parallels.

You can have both Parallels and Bootcamp on your computer utilizing the same Windows OS?

Thanks for the OEM info, it's the full version with SP2 but quite a bit cheaper. However it said it had to be installed on an empty harddrive so I didn't know if it would work or not.

jaguarr
05-09-2007, 09:27 PM
*scratches head* I don't get the first part with the partitions and BootCamp and Parallels.

You can have both Parallels and Bootcamp on your computer utilizing the same Windows OS?

Thanks for the OEM info, it's the full version with SP2 but quite a bit cheaper. However it said it had to be installed on an empty harddrive so I didn't know if it would work or not.

Yes. After you set up BootCamp and install WinXP, you can configure Parallels to use that same install and partition. Some links you probably should read:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303572

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_install_windows_xp_on_my_mac_using_boot_c amp_1.html

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/04/boot-camp-tutorial-install-windows-xp.html

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/use_winxp_boot_camp_partition_in_parallels.html

jag

twylight
05-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Thankie :)

KalMart
05-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Final Cut Studio 2 (upgrade) has arrived:

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/808/discrk2.jpg

Took about two hours to install everything, and about 50GB of space, but wow does it come with a lot of stuff. Gonna mess around with some stuff tonight, as well as dip my toes in the new Color program. Have to wait until about late October for the Red to arrive, though. :cmad:

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/3139/widefcxe3.jpg