PDA

View Full Version : What is Batman Strength level?

explode7
01-28-2006, 05:29 PM
I know Batman is no where near spiderman's strength level but what would you say his strength level is and what is the most heaviest thing he have ever lifted comic book/cartoon/movie wise?

Two-Face
01-28-2006, 05:36 PM
Movie or the comic book?

explode7
01-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Anyone.

Orko Is King
01-28-2006, 06:01 PM
Well, he's supposedly in peak physical condition, so I'd wager he can bench 250-300.

Mr. Socko
01-28-2006, 06:03 PM
That sounds about right

batnkevlar
01-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Well, he's supposedly in peak physical condition, so I'd wager he can bench 250-300.

Benching 300 is too weak... I mean, I weigh 165 and can bench maybe 200-ish, for now...

i mean, the guy in Annapolis needs to bench 400 for Luke Cage...

explode7
01-28-2006, 08:07 PM
The suit was said to make him stronger right so that means with the suit on he can bench 500+.

TRUE
01-28-2006, 08:42 PM
^^ The suit does not enhance strength.

Storyteller2
01-28-2006, 09:54 PM
All the suit does is add extra defense.

The_Guyver
01-28-2006, 11:17 PM
I know Batman is no where near spiderman's strength level but what would you say his strength level is and what is the most heaviest thing he have ever lifted comic book/cartoon/movie wise?

It depends, do you mean with or without prep time?? :)

user123456789
01-28-2006, 11:18 PM
i read somewhere that Batman can bench press 700 pounds. it was on the DC website with all their superhero stats, etc.

Mister J
01-28-2006, 11:21 PM
i read somewhere that Batman can bench press 700 pounds. it was on the DC website with all their superhero stats, etc.

I'm not sure exactly, but it's way more than 300. Somewhere around 700 sounds right, maybe a little less.

user123456789
01-28-2006, 11:26 PM
I'm not sure exactly, but it's way more than 300. Somewhere around 700 sounds right, maybe a little less.

im confident its 700 pounds.

like someone else said, they can bench ~200 @ 165. im 150 and i can bench ~190.

there are a few NFL players who can bench 500-600 pounds, and one that benched 700 pounds. think about it, NFL players aren't even in tip-top shape. they are brute mass / muscle.

Batman is in tip top shape, nearly all muscle.

user123456789
01-28-2006, 11:32 PM
found this:
Vital Statistics of Batman

Name: Bruce Wayne
Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 210 lbs.
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black
Intelligence Level: Extraordinary Genius
Strength Level: Peak human
Endurance Level: Peak human (enhanced by body armor)
Speed Level: Peak human
Agility Level: Peak human
Stamina Level: Peak human
Reflexes Level: Peak human
Special Abilities: Aside from the abilities listed above, Batman is master of many forms of armed and unarmed combat, and probably the creator of his own style of fighting based on his vast experience and training. Batman is extremely knowledgeable of science both theoretical and applied.
Special Weapons and Paraphernalia: Too numerous too list. Essentially, Batman can obtain and use expertly any weapon or technological advancement. at: http://www.webenglish.com.tw/encyclopedia/en/wikipedia/b/ba/batman_1.html

Mister J
01-28-2006, 11:38 PM
im confident its 700 pounds.

like someone else said, they can bench ~200 @ 165. im 150 and i can bench ~190.

there are a few NFL players who can bench 500-600 pounds, and one that benched 700 pounds. think about it, NFL players aren't even in tip-top shape. they are brute mass / muscle.

Batman is in tip top shape, nearly all muscle.

I was agreeing with you as much as I could without actually having something to verify it by. His condition has always been 'near or at physical perfection', it's just hard to quantify that. I remember something along the lines of 700, but that was before DC's website re-organized their character info listings to mere copies of what's in the DC Encyclopedia. If you say you saw it at 700, I can't say you didn't. I just wished stuff like that was more readily accessible.

user123456789
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-366803-how-strong-exactly-is-batman.html

first couple posts are very insightful

user123456789
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-366803-how-strong-exactly-is-batman.html

first couple posts are very insightful

user123456789
01-28-2006, 11:40 PM
I was agreeing with you as much as I could without actually having something to verify it by. His condition has always been 'near or at physical perfection', it's just hard to quantify that. I remember something along the lines of 700, but that was before DC's website re-organized their character info listings to mere copies of what's in the DC Encyclopedia. If you say you saw it at 700, I can't say you didn't. I just wished stuff like that was more readily accessible.

ohhh yea i know i was just talkin to the other posters who still weren't sure. thanks for the support

i found some more info

user123456789
01-28-2006, 11:41 PM
FOUND IT....

' He may bench press approximately 725 pounds and is the near-equal or equal of the world's best athlete in any Olympic event.'

from...

http://www.starnet-database.com/dbase_deo/profiles/batman/batman.html

user123456789
01-28-2006, 11:43 PM
now i wanna know what spidermans strength is ^^

Mister J
01-28-2006, 11:44 PM
FOUND IT....

' He may bench press approximately 725 pounds and is the near-equal or equal of the world's best athlete in any Olympic event.'

from...

http://www.starnet-database.com/dbase_deo/profiles/batman/batman.html

That's funny. i just found the same page and was getting ready to post.

Mister J
01-28-2006, 11:46 PM
now i wanna know what spidermans strength is ^^

Spidey is Class 10 (able to lift/press 10 tons)

http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/s/spiderman.htm
(gotta scroll down a bit)

user123456789
01-28-2006, 11:47 PM
Spidey is Class 10 (able to lift/press 10 tons)

http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/s/spiderman.htm
(gotta scroll down a bit)

WHAT!!??

hmmm... has spidey shown this strength in the movies yet?

*tries to think of some examples*

edit: NO WAY can he 'press' 20000 pounds.

Mister J
01-28-2006, 11:51 PM
WHAT!!??

hmmm... has spidey shown this strength in the movies yet?

*tries to think of some examples*

Not even close. The most impressive things he's done strength-wise were holding the trolley at the end of SM1 and keeping that steel girder from crushing MJ in Doc Ock's lab in SM2 (and maybe stopping the train, but that was inertia and resistance as opposed to brute strength).

I hate the fact that he's depowered like that. I mean, 10 tons is a lot of damn weight. They've yet to fully show his strength.

user123456789
01-28-2006, 11:54 PM
Not even close. The most impressive things he's done strength-wise were holding the trolley at the end of SM1 and keeping that steel girder from crushing MJ in Doc Ock's lab in SM2 (and maybe stopping the train, but that was inertia and resistance as opposed to brute strength).

I hate the fact that he's depowered like that. I mean, 10 tons is a lot of damn weight. They've yet to fully show his strength.

that trolley probably weighed... hmmm 15 kids + 1 adult ~ 2000 pounds... then add the trolley which would be... another ton?

wtf... 10 tons? stan lee messed up there, lol.
i can't even fathom something that would weigh that much.

Mister J
01-28-2006, 11:57 PM
that trolley probably weighed... hmmm 15 kids + 1 adult ~ 2000 pounds... then add the trolley which would be... another ton?

Some of Marvel's character strength level are just ridiculous. Granted, DC probably has some too, but I like to go over to Marvel Directory and just check things out. Even though, it's not official, it's usually plenty spot-on when it comes to that stuff. They go all the way to Class 100. Seriously, who needs to lift 200,000 lbs?

War Lord
01-29-2006, 12:08 AM

Since a trolley is simply a bus without an engine, it's probably closer to 3 or 4 tons. 15 kids and a couple of adults would weigh about a ton.

Add that he was also trying to stop it when it was already falling.

They got it about right. Just try and catch something weight 50 lbs from 15 feet up and see how easy it is.

Mister J
01-29-2006, 12:12 AM
Since a trolley is simply a bus without an engine, it's probably closer to 3 or 4 tons. 15 kids and a couple of adults would weigh about a ton.

They got it about right. Just try and catch something weight 50 lbs from 15 feet up and see how easy it is.

That trolley's not that big. I used to ride it; It's nowhere near as big as a bus. I wish it was, it would have made for a more pleasant commute.:)

Your point's taken though. Catching the trolley was definately a show of strength, it just wasn't overt enough for me. I wish studios didn't feel the need to depower characters like that.

War Lord
01-29-2006, 12:17 AM
DC doesn't really like to state Batman's stats because he's supposed to be a decathalete who's just off record stats, but the stats keep moving up.

It's safe to assume that whatever the current record is, he's just under it.

Mister J
01-29-2006, 12:19 AM
DC doesn't really like to state Batman's stats because he's supposed to be a decathalete who's just off record stats, but the stats keep moving up.

It's safe to assume that whatever the current record is, he's just under it.

When I read that, for some reason I got a vision of Batman in one of those 'World's Strongest Man' competitions you see on ESPN. He'd be kicking ass in all the events, while some dudes named Magnus and Lars were all pissed.

user123456789
01-29-2006, 12:29 AM

good analysis but,

it didn't 'look' like it was on par with spideys strength.. u feel me? the general public needs something HUGE for spiderman to use his strength on

user123456789
01-29-2006, 12:30 AM
When I read that, for some reason I got a vision of Batman in one of those 'World's Strongest Man' competitions you see on ESPN. He'd be kicking ass in all the events, while some dudes named Magnus and Lars were all pissed.

LMFAO whenver i see that on ESPN it always looks like they replay the SAME year over and over

War Lord
01-29-2006, 12:32 AM
good analysis but,

it didn't 'look' like it was on par with spideys strength.. u feel me? the general public needs something HUGE for spiderman to use his strength on

How about stopping an entire subway train, with passengers?

Would that work with you?

boywondernerdDC
01-29-2006, 12:36 AM
batman stats state 750lbs is his max lift

Mister J
01-29-2006, 12:37 AM
batman stats state 750lbs is his max lift

Where'd you see that?

user123456789
01-29-2006, 01:42 AM
How about stopping an entire subway train, with passengers?

Would that work with you?

mister J and i discussed this before... it has more to do with friction / inertia than it does with showing how much he can lift or how strong he is.

and if he's so smart, what he should have done is web the electrical line so the train loses power.

antmanx68
01-29-2006, 01:59 AM
wow, 725 pound bench for Bats? Thats crazy. The strongest human beings ever can bench around that much, ever.... and they're all more like Bane looks-wise. Around 1,000 is the world record, but the guy who does it weighs 380 pounds. Batman is in peak physical condition, but he's only human.... weighing around 220 he aint benching no 700+ pounds (not disputing that the number exists out there in his stats, just saying its ridiculous). Weights like that are reserved for Ronnie Coleman/Offensive Guard types.... Batman cant be the fastest, strongest, AND most agile human to ever life, its just not physically possible (granted we're talking about a comic, but 700+ is way inflated.) As someone who lifts pretty hard, I'd say around 500 would be amazing and make him one of the pound for pound strongest guys in the world.

Mister J
01-29-2006, 02:01 AM
Suspension of belief.

antmanx68
01-29-2006, 02:15 AM
accepting that a guy who runs like an Olympic Sprinter and tumbles like an Olympic Gymnast can bench 500 pounds is WAY suspending disbelief.

Mister J
01-29-2006, 02:19 AM
accepting that a guy who runs like an Olympic Sprinter and tumbles like an Olympic Gymnast can bench 500 pounds is WAY suspending disbelief.

Just a little further from 500 to 700+.:)

War Lord
01-29-2006, 08:15 AM
wow, 725 pound bench for Bats? Thats crazy. The strongest human beings ever can bench around that much, ever.... and they're all more like Bane looks-wise. Around 1,000 is the world record, but the guy who does it weighs 380 pounds. Batman is in peak physical condition, but he's only human.... weighing around 220 he aint benching no 700+ pounds (not disputing that the number exists out there in his stats, just saying its ridiculous). Weights like that are reserved for Ronnie Coleman/Offensive Guard types.... Batman cant be the fastest, strongest, AND most agile human to ever life, its just not physically possible (granted we're talking about a comic, but 700+ is way inflated.) As someone who lifts pretty hard, I'd say around 500 would be amazing and make him one of the pound for pound strongest guys in the world.

Actually, if you take a look at some pictures of old time body builders, some of them are capable of benching world record lifts, but are built like Batman, so that is perfectly plausible. Franco Columbo is an example of that.

However, comics are about pushing the bounds of the unbelievable and you gotta accept that.

explode7
01-29-2006, 10:45 AM

Its a comic book dude. If u can believe a man can get bitten by a radioactive spider and survive plus gain 10 ton strength and shoot webbing throught his hands and climb walls, how hard it is to believe batman can lift 700+ pounds.

antmanx68
01-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Spiderman has SUPER-human powers because of the spider, Batman's a normal human.

Its way different. Spiderman in general takes way more suspension of disbelief, its more out there. Batman has always been more based in reality.

The Joker™
01-29-2006, 02:43 PM
A reality where a girl can do spells by saying a sentence backwords and people can fly.:rolleyes:

Infinity9999x
01-29-2006, 02:56 PM
The 750 bench thing is just crazy. The guys that can do that have lots of bulk and weigh close to 400ish pounds, Batman is supposed to weigh only around 230. His body is just not bulky enough to lift that much weight. No one, I reapeat NO ONE, who weights 230 will ever bench 750lbs unless its one of those situations where they're liked trapped under a car. It's just not realistic. Bats wouldn't want to bench 750 either, because to get his body to that level, he'd have to gain more bulk which would slow him down. Realistically, he'd want to be around the 350 range, 400 tops.

But of course this is a comics so I guess they can blow it out of proportion, but still, Bats is supposed to be a character who is a little more grounded then the average superhero.

explode7
01-29-2006, 04:42 PM
Spiderman has SUPER-human powers because of the spider, Batman's a normal human.

Its way different. Spiderman in general takes way more suspension of disbelief, its more out there. Batman has always been more based in reality.

Yeah but its still a comic book and spiderman was a human before he got bitten by that radioacive spider which means that adds a lot of suspension of disbelief because no one human can survive that. They can make batman how strong they want because don't matter how much the comic feels realistic its still a comic book, a work of fiction where anything can be possible.

War Lord
01-30-2006, 12:38 AM
The 750 bench thing is just crazy. The guys that can do that have lots of bulk and weigh close to 400ish pounds, Batman is supposed to weigh only around 230. His body is just not bulky enough to lift that much weight. No one, I reapeat NO ONE, who weights 230 will ever bench 750lbs unless its one of those situations where they're liked trapped under a car. It's just not realistic. Bats wouldn't want to bench 750 either, because to get his body to that level, he'd have to gain more bulk which would slow him down. Realistically, he'd want to be around the 350 range, 400 tops.

But of course this is a comics so I guess they can blow it out of proportion, but still, Bats is supposed to be a character who is a little more grounded then the average superhero.

Although Batman should weigh closer to 250, a lot of what he can do can be explained from a physiological standpoint. A person who is who has a high degree of fast twitch fibers in his muscles tends to be inordinarily strong for his weight.

Batman would be on the very extreme of that and that would explain his combination of agility, power, and strength.

However, his endurance would be compromised because people who have a lot of fast twitch tend to not have a lot of endurance, because being fast twitch means that when you do a lift, most of your muscle fibers are involved and the glycogen stored would get used quickly and so he'd also tire quickly.

Evidence of this fact is that when he took on Captain America, it was a quick battle and he lost because, though they aren't too far apart in strength, he didn't have the endurance to keep battling.

BUt also keep in mind that for what he does, he doesn't really need a lot of endurance because most of his activities comprise stalking, striking out in the dark, and quick merciless fights.

Orko Is King
01-30-2006, 12:56 AM

Precisely. If you can bench 700 lbs., there's no way in hell you're fast/flexible/agile enough to do the things Batman is supposed to do.

War Lord
01-30-2006, 01:02 AM
Precisely. If you can bench 700 lbs., there's no way in hell you're fast/flexible/agile enough to do the things Batman is supposed to do.

Agility is merely a ratio of body weight and strength.

As a combination, the stronger somebody is and the lighter they weigh, the more agile they are going to be. If they are stronger, but heavier, they aren't going to be as agile and neither will they be agile if they are lighter, but weaker.

But somebody who is as strong as possible, but also as light as possible are going to be as agile as possible.

Orko Is King
01-30-2006, 01:09 AM
Agility is merely a ratio of body weight and strength.

As a combination, the stronger somebody is and the lighter they weigh, the more agile they are going to be. If they are stronger, but heavier, they aren't going to be as agile and neither will they be agile if they are lighter, but weaker.

But somebody who is as strong as possible, but also as light as possible are going to be as agile as possible.

Like Bruce Lee?

War Lord
01-30-2006, 01:10 AM
Like Bruce Lee?

Yes, he would be extremely agile, though I don't know what his strength was.

TheJuice
01-30-2006, 06:19 AM
For Batman to bench 700 pounds, that would probably be just one repetition. I don't see him being able to do more than one rep of that.

War Lord
01-30-2006, 07:24 AM
For Batman to bench 700 pounds, that would probably be just one repetition. I don't see him being able to do more than one rep of that.

That's what I've been saying. A fast twitch person is capable of incorporating most of his muscle fibers in a single movement, but they tire very quickly.

Shawn Wayne
01-30-2006, 09:10 AM

I think it's somewhere between a medium pony and a small boy.....

Salemdog
01-30-2006, 12:15 PM
Well, if you go according to the comics then the closest to Batman/Bruce Wayne physique wise would be this http://www.tcnwe.org/s-reeves.jpg

Steves Reeves at 6"1 1/2 and 215 is pretty close. Now Reeves certainly couldn't bench 700 pds. Though he could press easily in the 300's. Now the improbability shouldn't match the impossibility.

Currently in the 198pd class Marcus Brandon holds the record at 512 while in the 220 class Tony Succarotte is at 635 accoeding to national standards. It must be noted though that a 1st Class James Burnette of the Navy is noted to have set a new world record in the 181-pound weight class Aug. 14 2004 with a bench press of 540 pounds.

The flexibility issue could be called into question though I am reminded of Charles Glass. A former gymnast and now bodybuilding trainer he recalled his first time bench pressing in college on a dare from some members of the football team. They were curious how strong gymnastics made a person. Glass ended up benching 300pds. It was the first time he had touched weights.

War Lord
01-30-2006, 03:00 PM
Well, if you go according to the comics then the closest to Batman/Bruce Wayne physique wise would be this http://www.tcnwe.org/s-reeves.jpg

Steves Reeves at 6"1 1/2 and 215 is pretty close. Now Reeves certainly couldn't bench 700 pds. Though he could press easily in the 300's. Now the improbability shouldn't match the impossibility.

Currently in the 198pd class Marcus Brandon holds the record at 512 while in the 220 class Tony Succarotte is at 635 accoeding to national standards. It must be noted though that a 1st Class James Burnette of the Navy is noted to have set a new world record in the 181-pound weight class Aug. 14 2004 with a bench press of 540 pounds.

The flexibility issue could be called into question though I am reminded of Charles Glass. A former gymnast and now bodybuilding trainer he recalled his first time bench pressing in college on a dare from some members of the football team. They were curious how strong gymnastics made a person. Glass ended up benching 300pds. It was the first time he had touched weights.

Gymnists, who don't work with weights, only work with their body, so there's a built in limitation as to how strong they can get.

It's a myth that weight training inhibits flexibility. Many Body Builders are as flexible as gymnists.

Kritish
01-30-2006, 04:24 PM
Like boyscouT said, about as much as the best real human can.

antmanx68
01-31-2006, 03:32 PM
Gymnists, who don't work with weights, only work with their body, so there's a built in limitation as to how strong they can get.

It's a myth that weight training inhibits flexibility. Many Body Builders are as flexible as gymnists.

it doesnt inhibit flexibility... but there is such a thing as being "muscle-bound"? It means that when you get all big like that you just cant do certain things with your body that a normal person could because there is muscle in the way (particularly how you can bend your arms, reach behind your own back, etc). People who bench over 700 pounds are muscle bounc (and usually pretty fat too). Over 700 pounds is just a lot, you can say "its just a comic book" if you want, but one of Batman's selling points has always been as strong AND fast "as humanly possible". Human being the key here, just because he exists in a world with magic, lazarus pits, costumed freaks, and aliens with God-Like powers doesnt change that... its the rules set up by the comic itself.

blueboy
01-31-2006, 04:12 PM
i bet batman couldn't bench more than me :)

War Lord
02-01-2006, 12:56 AM
it doesnt inhibit flexibility... but there is such a thing as being "muscle-bound"? It means that when you get all big like that you just cant do certain things with your body that a normal person could because there is muscle in the way (particularly how you can bend your arms, reach behind your own back, etc). People who bench over 700 pounds are muscle bounc (and usually pretty fat too). Over 700 pounds is just a lot, you can say "its just a comic book" if you want, but one of Batman's selling points has always been as strong AND fast "as humanly possible". Human being the key here, just because he exists in a world with magic, lazarus pits, costumed freaks, and aliens with God-Like powers doesnt change that... its the rules set up by the comic itself.

You should really take a couple of fitness courses before you speak, because it's clear that you don't know what you're talking about. Quit listening to your fellow know-nothings for false information and become well informed.

1. Having muscles doesn't make you muscle-bound, it makes you move better and a proper weight-training program makes you more flexible because you're doing complete movements while pushing weights. Many people might seem "muscle-bound", but that's because too many people confuse lifting as much weight as possible for limited movements as being better than lesser weights, but complete movements.

http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_60/83_fitness_tip.html

2. Power lifters and Olympic weight-lifters, on average, aren't fat. They often are around 12% body fat or so, that's below average, fat-wise, by today's standards. The reason why they look fat is because their training requires them to exercise large muscle groups to get the most strength.

3. How much you can bench is dependent on many factors, including your muscle composition, size, health, age and other factors. Somebody who's muscles have a lot of fast-twitch fibre will be far stronger than average because they are able to incorporate more muscle fibres into a movement than somebody with more slow-twitch fibres. So while a fast-twitch person is stronger, he doesn't have as much endurance as slow-twitch persons. This is why two people, same size and weight and musculature, can differ in how much they lift and for how long they can lift. On the extreme end of being fast-twitch, a person is capable of lifting upwards of 3 and a half times their weight, but usually only once.

Since it can be assumed that Batman is on the very extreme of being fast-twitch, he would suffer a lack of muscular endurance if he were pushing himself to the extreme all the time. However, since his modus operandi is skulking and surprising, he doesn't really need muscular endurance, because he's strong enough that anything he does doesn't really tax his abilities very often

One more point, though his endurance would be his weak point, he'd still probably have better than average because of his fitness level.

War Lord
02-01-2006, 12:58 AM
i bet batman couldn't bench more than me :)

When I read his comic, I'm lifting several Batmans at once, so I kick ass.

mano012sg
02-01-2006, 07:29 AM
Guys, First lemme let you know that our dear Micheal Jordan himself can leg-press 1000lbs. it IS in some old magazine. So let me add that for Bat's to be an all round athlete, and for the gradual physical conditioning benching 700+lbs would be measely like his daily touch up, not his max. There was this animated series episode where he was mad enough to rip the entire portion of the left of his batcomputer off the floor in the batcave, coz he was pissed with something, the episode was such.

But let me share something else with you guys. most people who put batman's profile up, have little clue as to how truly fit true athletes can become. We are not talking about Olympic records here--its just the beginning, we are talking about world-class athletes and the kind you see on Ripleys or those fantastic feats who see in the guinness records or shaolin monks. These are real humans, with normal restrictions of daily life balance.

Bruce who is supposed to be the best trained athlete and martial artist....would be a lot more powerful than he's potrayed to be. Unfortunately, his history of training prowness and the skills he brings onto the crime fighting scene are not in sync. I am referring to the best of the shows: BatmanTAS and The Batman animated series.

Bat's and all comic/anime characters have the great luck of being able to be precisely dedicated and perfectly managed in their exercises, that is ideally progress without muscle and bone problems+mistakes athletes make to screw themselves up. *Besides people who are very into martial arts and chi kung will understand the possibilites that I am about to highlight:

So Guys & gals: Bruce Wayne who is supposed to be the best trained athlete and martial artist....would be a lot more powerful than he's potrayed to be.

With such obsession, and such skill at martial arts and athletics and techincal gadgetry, He should be much more powerful than he is potrayed to be. If anyone of you guys watched Japanese anime or know about real martial arts esp: ninjutsu, taichi and wingchun kung fu, with that kinda training he would be:

**Check these anime on the web--very popular
a. half as powerful as the ninku [a jap anime] characters (minus the chi powers)

b. half as powerful as kenshin/battousai of Samurai X

c. at least > 30% of Master Hiko Seijuro of Samurai X

d. 50% of a chi kung master in channelling and projecting his chi --
Hence avoiding bullets and all like Battousai (& like aikido grandmaster Morhei Ushieba)+ limited levitation and flight like david copperfield (without the cape), propel himself in midair like they show the samurai x characters do. Lifting Cars and Pulling Lorries and stuff like the masters do.

e. 2x or more powerful than Bruce Lee + taking on Multiple opponents wingchun masters do that without moving much u noe), no matter how difficult (with taichi incorporated).

f. with ninjutsu skills (justified as he works well in the special skills aspects) but 3x more refined than what he's potrayed as in even BatmanTAS.

g. with a-g + learning from the top athletes, should be much smoother in his moves than he is.

h. With a&d&e&f&g, perform at least limited versions of ninku skills of
jumping& gliding and using air-pressure and stuff as weapons, before
the aid of his tools. he should be a limited version of nightwing's glider suit gliding capabilities -- before he(bats) opens his bat-cape glider.

i. Given all of these he will be able to channel his chi to be almost superhuman (u noe all those ripley's feats?). He would be almost an equal challenge one-to-one to spiderman and daredevil. He wouldn't be struggling to keep up with superman to that point as seen in the animated series. True, superman is powerful. But Batman will be struggling much less to keep up, coz he's as powerful as 30% of Hiko Seijuro and just as functional.

In short, He will be more more powerful and capable, than what he is potrayed to be. So guys, either take a good look at his qualifications he revamp it to suit his abilities&history or reinvent his missions in the comics, to suit his perceived training.

[*am not trying to show off or anything but I personally experiment with various martial arts (soft&hard) and styles of physical exercises for many years now, so that's why I feel qualified to talk liberally about chi and stuff]

mano012sg
02-01-2006, 07:31 AM
Bruce Lee's feats: look under "Bruce Lee: the Philosophy of a human being" for those who don't know what he can do.

mano012sg
02-01-2006, 07:31 AM
Bruce Lee's feats: look under "Bruce Lee: the Philosophy of a human being" for those who don't know what he can do.

mano012sg
02-01-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by boyscouT
FOUND IT....

from...

http://www.starnet-database.com/dbas...an/batman.html

This is just what I mean: the 725Lbs was put in as an assumption. There are people today who can lift cars weighing almost a ton or 1000lbs. Bat's with his exposure to every super villian like croc and superman gone bad, would have to have this strength (1000 lbs) as part of his daily quick start routine, not something he overly sweats over!

user123456789
02-01-2006, 09:29 AM

i'll take a look

edit: wow this freaks me out!

For a party trick Bruce would place a dime in a participant's upturned palm and told them that he would try to pick the dime out of their palm before they could close their hand. So with the unsuspecting participant ready Bruce's fingers were poised above the upturned palm, then within a flash Bruce would snatch - it would seem Bruce was too slow with the smiling participant with closed hand thinking that they still had the dime within it. But to the participant's amazement Bruce was successful - upon opening their hand they were stunned to find Bruce had grabbed the dime, but even more amazing was that he left a penny in it's place.

antmanx68
02-01-2006, 05:56 PM
You should really take a couple of fitness courses before you speak, because it's clear that you don't know what you're talking about. Quit listening to your fellow know-nothings for false information and become well informed.

1. Having muscles doesn't make you muscle-bound, it makes you move better and a proper weight-training program makes you more flexible because you're doing complete movements while pushing weights. Many people might seem "muscle-bound", but that's because too many people confuse lifting as much weight as possible for limited movements as being better than lesser weights, but complete movements.

http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_60/83_fitness_tip.html

2. Power lifters and Olympic weight-lifters, on average, aren't fat. They often are around 12% body fat or so, that's below average, fat-wise, by today's standards. The reason why they look fat is because their training requires them to exercise large muscle groups to get the most strength.

3. How much you can bench is dependent on many factors, including your muscle composition, size, health, age and other factors. Somebody who's muscles have a lot of fast-twitch fibre will be far stronger than average because they are able to incorporate more muscle fibres into a movement than somebody with more slow-twitch fibres. So while a fast-twitch person is stronger, he doesn't have as much endurance as slow-twitch persons. This is why two people, same size and weight and musculature, can differ in how much they lift and for how long they can lift. On the extreme end of being fast-twitch, a person is capable of lifting upwards of 3 and a half times their weight, but usually only once.

Since it can be assumed that Batman is on the very extreme of being fast-twitch, he would suffer a lack of muscular endurance if he were pushing himself to the extreme all the time. However, since his modus operandi is skulking and surprising, he doesn't really need muscular endurance, because he's strong enough that anything he does doesn't really tax his abilities very often

One more point, though his endurance would be his weak point, he'd still probably have better than average because of his fitness level.

not even going to read all that. If you'd like to know, I took 1 purely strength related fitness courses before I graduated with my bachelors, I work out hard, I bench over 300 pounds and lift about 5 times a week if that matters at all.. You dont need to be telling me anything, let alone calling me "a know nothing" or "uninformed"

My point was that people who can bench over 700 pounds are usually big, bulky, carrying a ton of weight, and yes often times they're fat, guess you missed that. You're entire #1 is a big "Duh?!" statement to me. Ask youself: You see any guys who fit Bruce Wayne's height and weight that can bench near 700 pounds? Or move with any kind of speed and agility. If you have i'd like to know about it. And are you trying to say there's no such thing as being muscle bound? What about people who cant put their arms at there sides because their lats are just too big, or who need to be arrested with 2 pairs of hancuffs becuase their muscle mass simply doesnt allow their arms behind their backs? That kind of size is pretty common with people who bench over 700 pounds. But i guess being a "know something" you already knew all that.

user123456789
02-01-2006, 06:25 PM
not even going to read all that. If you'd like to know, I took 1 purely strength related fitness courses before I graduated with my bachelors, I work out hard, I bench over 300 pounds and lift about 5 times a week if that matters at all.. You dont need to be telling me anything, let alone calling me "a know nothing" or "uninformed"

My point was that people who can bench over 700 pounds are usually big, bulky, carrying a ton of weight, and yes often times they're fat, guess you missed that. You're entire #1 is a big "Duh?!" statement to me. Ask youself: You see any guys who fit Bruce Wayne's height and weight that can bench near 700 pounds? Or move with any kind of speed and agility. If you have i'd like to know about it. And are you trying to say there's no such thing as being muscle bound? What about people who cant put their arms at there sides because their lats are just too big, or who need to be arrested with 2 pairs of hancuffs becuase their muscle mass simply doesnt allow their arms behind their backs? That kind of size is pretty common with people who bench over 700 pounds. But i guess being a "know something" you already knew all that.

this whole debate would be solved if bruce lee wasn't asian. had he been any other race, he could have arguably become a real life batman.

antmanx68
02-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Agreed. But he'd have to bench 725 :eek:

He was the man though.

DorkyFresh
02-01-2006, 07:08 PM
"What is Batman's strength level?"

It's a strength level high enough to be able to lift up a six foot four dude weighing over 200 lbs while hanging over a cliff. ;) He did it with one arm, none the less...

Jacobhiggins
02-02-2006, 12:03 AM
Batman is a normal human being in peak condition. He isn't a body builder and he isn't the most strongest man in the world. He is far less physically powerful then ALOT of other superheroes!

War Lord
02-02-2006, 04:37 PM

You're missing the fact that if he has a lot of power, he wouldn't necessarily need the mass. Most powerlifters have a lot of strength, but not necessarily the power. This is why they tend to be monsters of people.

You should look up some of the old time body builders, Franco Columbo or Bill Pearl or others. They were able to bench 500 lbs+, but they weren't massive like power lifters, because they had a lot of power.

Salemdog
02-02-2006, 09:36 PM
You're missing the fact that if he has a lot of power, he wouldn't necessarily need the mass. Most powerlifters have a lot of strength, but not necessarily the power. This is why they tend to be monsters of people.

You should look up some of the old time body builders, Franco Columbo or Bill Pearl or others. They were able to bench 500 lbs+, but they weren't massive like power lifters, because they had a lot of power.

I have to disagree..Franco and Pearl both were very massive for their realitive sizes. And Franco was a known strong man. From a boxer to bodybuilder and blowing up hot water bottles for fun. At the time it was said he was pound for pound the strongest man in the world.

To me this is massive http://www.schwarzenegger.it/mro/columbu/fc131.jpghttp://athlete.ru/fotos/profi/franco_columbu/franco_columbu_020.jpg

Especially considering he was 5'4"

And Pearl? http://www.tcnwe.org/bill-pearl.jpg

Basically speaking at 215 and 6'2 it is impratical for anyone to be able to bench 700 pounds, much less even 500. And to say Batman lacks certain endurance levels considering his nightly regimen is a bit much as well. The climbing, swinging, fighting, running, etc. would require endurance in large doses.

I truly believe it is safe to say that those writers of the comics didn't understand human conditioning. If the even dropped the press to 400 it would be just as impressive on any standpoint if you look at the overall standards in the world. 90% of the people on this planet can't bench their own bodyweight. To bench twice as much is a true achievement on any level.

War Lord
02-02-2006, 09:49 PM
I have to disagree..Franco and Pearl both were very massive for their realitive sizes. And Franco was a known strong man. From a boxer to bodybuilder and blowing up hot water bottles for fun. At the time it was said he was pound for pound the strongest man in the world.

To me this is massive http://www.schwarzenegger.it/mro/columbu/fc131.jpghttp://athlete.ru/fotos/profi/franco_columbu/franco_columbu_020.jpg

Especially considering he was 5'4"

And Pearl? http://www.tcnwe.org/bill-pearl.jpg

Basically speaking at 215 and 6'2 it is impratical for anyone to be able to bench 700 pounds, much less even 500. And to say Batman lacks certain endurance levels considering his nightly regimen is a bit much as well. The climbing, swinging, fighting, running, etc. would require endurance in large doses.

I truly believe it is safe to say that those writers of the comics didn't understand human conditioning. If the even dropped the press to 400 it would be just as impressive on any standpoint if you look at the overall standards in the world. 90% of the people on this planet can't bench their own bodyweight. To bench twice as much is a true achievement on any level.

My point is that neither man is "muscle bound".

That doesn't remove the fact that Batman could conceivably (as far as comics are concerned) do what he does if he has the right physiology, meaning lots of power and strength.

I already mentioned that where Batman would be weak is endurance, but that doesn't mean that he wouldn't have any. It just means that he couldn't run any marathons, which aren't required for what he does. He might have to run two or three miles, but the rest of the time is spent skulking, sneaking, and attacking.

War Lord
02-02-2006, 09:50 PM
I do agree that his weight should be adjusted to 230 lbs or so because that's how he's drawn anyway.

antmanx68
02-02-2006, 09:51 PM
funny how Columbu keeps coming up.... in Pumping Iron Arnold and this other guy jokingly said they were gonna start calling him "the bat" after seeing his lat spread at the Mr. Olympia contest.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8510/franco4bs.jpg

War Lord
02-02-2006, 10:03 PM
funny how Columbu keeps coming up.... in Pumping Iron Arnold and this other guy jokingly said they were gonna start calling him "the bat" after seeing his lat spread at the Mr. Olympia contest.

He was a very gifted body builder.

user123456789
02-02-2006, 10:42 PM
what... in gods name... that back is massive...

The_Guyver
02-03-2006, 01:25 AM

What. The. Hell.

Did that guy swallow a mini-fridge??

That is freaky.

Abe Rush
02-03-2006, 06:38 AM

His lower back is so small compared to the upper part... it's not healthy.
Complete lack of judgement from his part, IMO.

When it comes to the fast-twitch / slow-twitch fibers that War Lord mentionned, Batman simply cannot have only fast-twitch ones. The individuals that possess only fast-twitch fibers are what we could call "explosive", i.e.: olympic sprinters, for the 100 m are a good exemple of that. Batman does way too much acrobatics and chasing for him to be fast-twitch only. If I had to take a guess, I'd say he's 60 % fast-twitch, 40 % slow-twitch. The problem with this is that most slow-twitch athletes aren't as big as fast-twitch ones... as being "explosive" requires more muscle strength, while the other requires endurance. With that being said, I highly doubt Batman could bench 700 pounds and even if he could, it wouldn't be of any real use to him, as I don't think his goal is to become as muscle bound as possible.

I thought part of the reason Batman always looked so "strong" was because of all his martial arts training, that allowed him to use other people's own strength or momentum against them, no? I think he appears stronger than he actually is because he understands his body better than most people and he knows how to control it and use positioning and such to his advantage.

But as far as actual "strength" goes... I'd say he's a gifted, "intelligently" strong human being.

The_Guyver
02-03-2006, 09:35 AM
I thought part of the reason Batman always looked so "strong" was because of all his martial arts training, that allowed him to use other people's own strength or momentum against them, no? I think he appears stronger than he actually is because he understands his body better than most people and he knows how to control it and use positioning and such to his advantage.

But as far as actual "strength" goes... I'd say he's a gifted, "intelligently" strong human being.

I think this pretty much sums up where Batman's true source of strength lies, well done dude :up:

Savage
02-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Yeah, Ruf's got it. I don't buy the 700 lb crap. Captain America is 240 and he can lift twice his body weight alone (this is what marvel calls peak human). I'd say batman can lift between 400-500. The rest is just an illusion. I've been doing wushu for about 5 years now and I'm 6'0 200 lbs and I've easily thrown guys 6'6 and well over 240. It's a momentum thing. I don't think the guy can literally pick up 700+ but I'm sure he can probably throw a guy that size.

...I just don't see him lifting Bane OVER his head, you know?

Ronny Shade
02-03-2006, 11:58 AM
I thought this tread wouldve petered out after 2 or 3 pages

Salemdog
02-03-2006, 12:08 PM
I do agree that his weight should be adjusted to 230 lbs or so because that's how he's drawn anyway.

Full agreement there. It would make sense and at that height he still wouldn't be "muscle bound". A gymnasts or martial fighter build at 6'2 could easily reach the 230 pound mark. One only has to follow Pride, UFC, or the like to see the possibility.

Salemdog
02-03-2006, 12:13 PM

He could deadlift over 800 pounds. Over 700 for reps. Sounds pretty heathy to me.

He's also a licensed chiropractor.

Salemdog
02-03-2006, 12:23 PM
I thought this tread wouldve petered out after 2 or 3 pages

An interesting subject is just that. It's nice to see people intelligently debate and delve into the realistic aspect of the subject instead of just saying "Well, he's Batman, that's why." Like they do with Superman sometimes. Batman is the icon he is because he's something that is attainable (physically) unlike many other superheroes. So why not debate just what the supposedly top physical man is truly capable of.

antmanx68
02-03-2006, 01:34 PM
pro bodybuilders definitely risk their health to look like that. Lifting extremely heavy weights can be catostrophic for joints, and the body in general. Anyone who messes with HEAVY dumbells in the gym can understand how it could be life threatening to try benching 200 pound dumbells. haha

And they were on steroids which are pretty much dangerous (not speculating here, Arnold admits it on the Pumping Iron DVD, saying it wasnt a big deal back then, they all just did it and it was a part of their supplementation.)

Salemdog
02-03-2006, 02:19 PM
pro bodybuilders definitely risk their health to look like that. Lifting extremely heavy weights can be catostrophic for joints, and the body in general. Anyone who messes with HEAVY dumbells in the gym can understand how it could be life threatening to try benching 200 pound dumbells. haha

And they were on steroids which are pretty much dangerous (not speculating here, Arnold admits it on the Pumping Iron DVD, saying it wasnt a big deal back then, they all just did it and it was a part of their supplementation.)

Anyone who plays professional sports risks their health. Anyone who fights in a boxing ring or martial arts ring risks their health. Olympic contenders risk their health. And the so called steriod risk is the same as any other supplement. Too much means risk. They're are thousands of athletes who take or have taken steriods with no harmful side effect. But they are countered by the handful who not only took steriods, but a handful of other illegal drugs but blamed it all on the one. It was easy for Lyle Alzado to admit to steriods but he conviently left out the cocaine, alcohol, speed, downers and other little tidbits that were being consumed at the time. Too much protein can damage the liver, too much hydroxycut caused heart attacks.

The problem is moderation. Like anything else people want too much too fast and look for the easy way out. So the bans come a running. Because some people just can't handle themselves.

Besides, here's Frank Zane at 62
http://www.frankzane.com/images/frankworkoutjuly2003sm.jpg

I think I'll keep up the weights.

Abe Rush
02-03-2006, 02:48 PM
He could deadlift over 800 pounds. Over 700 for reps. Sounds pretty heathy to me.

I guess it all depends on what you want to accomplish.
I'm not even half of that man's size and I'm already being told that I need to work on my lower back area.

... it's an important part and his seems abnormally small.
As a matter of fact, it's not the only thing that looks "abnormal" about him.

Well, as long as he's happy... who gives a damn, right?

The Question
02-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Batman benching 725 pounds makses very little sense. Batman's got a fighter's build. Not a powerlifter's build. Powerlifter's are huge. Also, Btaman has been shown to be very fast and agile. Powerlifter's are usually quite slow and not very agile at all. So, it would make more sense for Batman to bench around 250 or 300 pounds. Writers who have Batman benching725 really don't know anything about how the human body works.

War Lord
02-03-2006, 03:26 PM

He also has a doctorate in physiology.

He also popped his own knee back into place when he popped it during a strongman competition.

It must have hurt.

War Lord
02-03-2006, 03:29 PM

He's also said that they took their stuff under supervision of a physician, which they could because steroids weren't illegal at the time.

War Lord
02-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Yeah, Ruf's got it. I don't buy the 700 lb crap. Captain America is 240 and he can lift twice his body weight alone (this is what marvel calls peak human). I'd say batman can lift between 400-500. The rest is just an illusion. I've been doing wushu for about 5 years now and I'm 6'0 200 lbs and I've easily thrown guys 6'6 and well over 240. It's a momentum thing. I don't think the guy can literally pick up 700+ but I'm sure he can probably throw a guy that size.

...I just don't see him lifting Bane OVER his head, you know?

Marvel has Cap at a 1000 pound bench, last I heard.

Keep in mind that what Batman has been measured to do is likely a one rep maximum, not repeated reps.

Infinity9999x
02-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Marvel has Cap at a 1000 pound bench, last I heard.

Keep in mind that what Batman has been measured to do is likely a one rep maximum, not repeated reps.

Cap also was enhanced with a formula, Bats just trained himself. Even if it was only a one rep maximum, he'd have to have a huge build to do that much weight, which wouldn't be practical. Now I could see him doing something like 700lbs under extreme stress w/ adrenaline pumping, but not just as a workout.

War Lord
02-03-2006, 03:42 PM

When it comes to the fast-twitch / slow-twitch fibers that War Lord mentionned, Batman simply cannot have only fast-twitch ones. The individuals that possess only fast-twitch fibers are what we could call "explosive", i.e.: olympic sprinters, for the 100 m are a good exemple of that. Batman does way too much acrobatics and chasing for him to be fast-twitch only. If I had to take a guess, I'd say he's 60 % fast-twitch, 40 % slow-twitch. The problem with this is that most slow-twitch athletes aren't as big as fast-twitch ones... as being "explosive" requires more muscle strength, while the other requires endurance. With that being said, I highly doubt Batman could bench 700 pounds and even if he could, it wouldn't be of any real use to him, as I don't think his goal is to become as muscle bound as possible.

Columbo's lower back isn't likely to do with lack of training, but genetics. I personally have great potential in the shoulders, but my forearms suck like you wouldn't believe regardless of the training that I used to do. I'm talking about when I was fit and training, which I'm not currently. Also, he was flairing his lats and to maximize the effect, he squeezed his waist making his lower back look smaller.

He's not going to squat and deadlift 700 pounds+ (I have a biography on him) without a well developed lower back.

Batman doesn't do a lot of running in the comics that I've seen. His Modis Operandi is to surprise attack and do it quickly, so endurance isn't really an issue that I've seen. Also, I've read that Batmans costume aids his endurance (and probably his strength as well).

War Lord
02-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Cap also was enhanced with a formula, Bats just trained himself. Even if it was only a one rep maximum, he'd have to have a huge build to do that much weight, which wouldn't be practical. Now I could see him doing something like 700lbs under extreme stress w/ adrenaline pumping, but not just as a workout.

Again, that's dependent on his amount of power. If he's on the extreme edge of humanity in that regard, he'd beable to bench as much as 3 and a half times his weight. It's not just a workout, but a one time rep.

If it was a workout, it'd probably be closer to 500 or 560 for ten reps.

War Lord
02-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Batman benching 725 pounds makses very little sense. Batman's got a fighter's build. Not a powerlifter's build. Powerlifter's are huge. Also, Btaman has been shown to be very fast and agile. Powerlifter's are usually quite slow and not very agile at all. So, it would make more sense for Batman to bench around 250 or 300 pounds. Writers who have Batman benching725 really don't know anything about how the human body works.

Again, most powerlifters have tons of strength, but not much in the way of power. That's the way they train.

The Question
02-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Exactly. If Batman ever did lift 725 punds, it would only be for about a second of seriously pushing himself and he'd be quite spent afterwards.

The Question
02-03-2006, 04:00 PM
If it was a workout, it'd probably be closer to 500 or 560 for ten reps.

Even that seems like a bit much for Batman. Like I've said, he's got a fighter's build. He'd probably only be able to bench about 250/300, if you want to talk realistically here.

War Lord
02-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Exactly. If Batman ever did lift 725 punds, it would only be for about a second of seriously pushing himself and he'd be quite spent afterwards.

That's the consequence of being highly fast twitch, you don't have much to give afterwards. However, if you're not pushing yourself to to edge, and normally Batman doesn't have to because most of his activities don't come near to his edge, this weakness wouldn't necessarily be apparent.

War Lord
02-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Even that seems like a bit much for Batman. Like I've said, he's got a fighter's build. He'd probably only be able to bench about 250/300, if you want to talk realistically here.

I don't consider this to be just a fighter's build.

http://www.universohq.com/quadrinhos/images/JLeeBM.jpg

The Question
02-03-2006, 04:27 PM
Which is one of the reasons why I don't like Jim Lee's Batman. I highly doubt anyone with those kinds of muscles could be as agile as Batman is depicted to be. And I also highly doubt that anyone who was that could an acrobat would be strong enough to bench 725 punds. The people who draw and write Batman like that clearly don't have a very good understanding as to how the human body works.

War Lord
02-03-2006, 04:32 PM
Which is one of the reasons why I don't like Jim Lee's Batman. I highly doubt anyone with those kinds of muscles could be as agile as Batman is depicted to be. And I also highly doubt that anyone who was that could an acrobat would be strong enough to bench 725 punds. The people who draw and write Batman like that clearly don't have a very good understanding as to how the human body works.

Again, agility isn't a function of size, but strength ratioed against weight. Just take a look at the average NBA game. Most of those players are showing amazing amounts of agility for people who are almost 7'0 on average.

If Batman can bench 725 lbs, weighing 230 or 250 lbs isn't going to be affect him much in terms of agility.

I should add that he isn't the most agile, because Dick beats him out on that. He's just simply agile and fast for his size because his movements are so practiced.

The Question
02-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Yeah, but bats has still been shown to be pretty damn agile. And someone witha build like that drawn by Jim Lee isn't going to be as agile as Bruce is supposed to be. Remember, muscle weighs about twice as much as fat.

War Lord
02-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Yeah, but bats has still been shown to be pretty damn agile. And someone witha build like that drawn by Jim Lee isn't going to be as agile as Bruce is supposed to be. Remember, muscle weighs about twice as much as fat.

Again, his personal movements have been so well practiced that he moves without thinking, which helps his agility.

Also, being so strong, he's not hampered by his size or weight.

Salemdog
02-03-2006, 04:46 PM
He also has a doctorate in physiology.

He also popped his own knee back into place when he popped it during a strongman competition.

It must have hurt.

This may date me a bit but I remember seeing that. He was carrying a refirgerator on his back. Ranked up there with Theisman's ankle in worst sports related injuries.

War Lord
02-03-2006, 04:48 PM
This may date me a bit but I remember seeing that. He was carrying a refirgerator on his back. Ranked up there with Theisman's ankle in worst sports related injuries.

If I remember correctly, he hit a pothole when he popped that knee.

Salemdog
02-03-2006, 04:53 PM
I guess it all depends on what you want to accomplish.
I'm not even half of that man's size and I'm already being told that I need to work on my lower back area.

... it's an important part and his seems abnormally small.
As a matter of fact, it's not the only thing that looks "abnormal" about him.

Well, as long as he's happy... who gives a damn, right?

Well..it wasn't that his lower back was so small but his upper back was so big. Just an incredible lat spread. This might help a bit with the perspective..

A shot from the front..he's actually a bit thick waisted..http://www.onewaysystem.com/images/olimpiak_albuma/franco_columbo.jpg

and a idea of his power..http://www.swt.bz/exercices/souleve-terre/franco-columbu-a.jpg

The Question
02-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Again, his personal movements have been so well practiced that he moves without thinking, which helps his agility.

He'd still have to be pretty damn agile to do it in the first place.

Also, being so strong, he's not hampered by his size or weight.

Yeah, it kind of does. Remember, muscle weighs twice as much as fat. And the stronger he is, the bulkyer he'll be. And bulk makes you less flexible. And flexibility plays an important role in agility. There's not way I can see that someone who can bench 725 punds or even 540 pounds would be able to do all the acrobatic stuff that Batman can do. More often then not, Batman is drawn with a build like this:

http://members.fortunecity.com/jlaavenger/2627cb50.gif

Strong, but not so muscley that he's too bulky. A fighter's build. Because that's what Batman is. A fighter. Too much muscle, he's too slow. So, he wouldn't aim for the 540 or 725 pound marks. Writers who have Batman being able to do all that stuff is just them wanting to make him look cool without really thinking.

Salemdog
02-03-2006, 05:01 PM
I don't consider this to be just a fighter's build.

http://www.universohq.com/quadrinhos/images/JLeeBM.jpg

Oh..I dont know..http://www.kenshamrock.com/php-bin/gallery/imgs/Studio%20Photos/Ken-Shamrock-(chest).jpg;)
http://www.ndcma.com/images/Img118.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/32/Couture.jpg/200px-Couture.jpg

War Lord
02-03-2006, 05:10 PM
He'd still have to be pretty damn agile to do it in the first place.

He is agile, very much so, for his size.

Yeah, it kind of does. Remember, muscle weighs twice as much as fat. And the stronger he is, the bulkyer he'll be. And bulk makes you less flexible. And flexibility plays an important role in agility. There's not way I can see that someone who can bench 725 punds or even 540 pounds would be able to do all the acrobatic stuff that Batman can do. More often then not, Batman is drawn with a build like this:

The only reason why weighing 230 lbs (I'm choosing the weight he really should be at, as opposed to official DC stats) would slow him down, is if he wasn't as strong as he is. However, since he is that strong, his bulk isn't the same level of concern than another man who weighed that much, but wasn't that strong.

Another thing you should consider, that suit he wears isn't just a nylon based suit lined with kevlar. It's also fairly high tech that assists his strength and agility and endurance.

http://members.fortunecity.com/jlaavenger/2627cb50.gif

Strong, but not so muscley that he's too bulky. A fighter's build. Because that's what Batman is. A fighter. Too much muscle, he's too slow. So, he wouldn't aim for the 540 or 725 pound marks. Writers who have Batman being able to do all that stuff is just them wanting to make him look cool without really thinking.

This simply reflects your desire and bias, not who Batman is. You have stated that you want Batman to be less than how DC defines him and that he should get defeated occasionally. I think your complaint reflects this bias.

War Lord
02-03-2006, 05:12 PM
Oh..I dont know..http://www.kenshamrock.com/php-bin/gallery/imgs/Studio%20Photos/Ken-Shamrock-(chest).jpg;)
http://www.ndcma.com/images/Img118.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/32/Couture.jpg/200px-Couture.jpg

Batman as depicted by Jim Lee is larger than the gents you provided.

His arms, chest and legs are much bigger than these gents.

darknight7
02-03-2006, 05:30 PM

I must disagree, considering my brother is 160 lbs and can bench 345 lbs...lol...

Therefore Batman/Bruce being 210 at the MAX HUMAN PHYSICAL PEAK!...

I would say...he should be able to bench...400 - 500 lbs...

EDIT: Mathematically...my brother benches 2.16 lbs per pound on his body.

THEREFORE: 2.16 x 210 (Batman's weight) = 453.6

EDIT: I myself (being 185lbs at the time) benched 205 lbs twice (without ever working out a single day of my life).

--dk7

The Question
02-03-2006, 05:39 PM
The only reason why weighing 230 lbs (I'm choosing the weight he really should be at, as opposed to official DC stats) would slow him down, is if he wasn't as strong as he is. However, since he is that strong, his bulk isn't the same level of concern than another man who weighed that much, but wasn't that strong.

Thing is, if he's as bulky as Jim Lee draws him, he'd weigh a bit more that 230. And even if he is incredibly string, his bulk is still going to hinder his agility. It'll slow him down, mess up his balance, and keep him from jumping particularly high. Logically speaking, that is.

Another thing you should consider, that suit he wears isn't just a nylon based suit lined with kevlar. It's also fairly high tech that assists his strength and agility and endurance.

No it doesn't. It's just a nylon/nomex weave lined with kevlar. It's never increased his strength, agility, and endurance. In Batman Beyond, yeah, but in the comics it's just highly tear resistant (and in some areas bulletproof) fabric.

This simply reflects your desire and bias, not who Batman is. You have stated that you want Batman to be less than how DC defines him and that he should get defeated occasionally. I think your complaint reflects this bias.

May not be who Batman is, but it is who Batman was.

The Question
02-03-2006, 05:40 PM
I must disagree, considering my brother is 160 lbs and can bench 345 lbs...lol...

Therefore Batman/Bruce being 210 at the MAX HUMAN PHYSICAL PEAK!...

I would say...he should be able to bench...400 - 500 lbs...

EDIT: Mathematically...my brother benches 2.16 lbs per pound on his body.

THEREFORE: 2.16 x 210 (Batman's weight) = 453.6

--dk7

But then, you have to take his speed and agility into acount. He'd have to sacrifice some of his strength for speed and agility. So, I'd say around 300 pounds makes sense.

darknight7
02-03-2006, 05:44 PM
But then, you have to take his speed and agility into acount. He'd have to sacrifice some of his strength for speed and agility. So, I'd say around 300 pounds makes sense.

Not to be rude: But why would you take away speed and agility. This guy TRAINED HIS WHOLE LIFE. My brother (being able to bench what he can bench) is still one of the fastest people I know "IN PERSON". He can hit me 5 times before I know it, his punches/kicks are like throwing bolders at my face, and he can do the splits. STILL, able to bench 345lbs.

PS: My bro trained Tae Kwan Doe/Kung Fu for 6 years and worked out for 10 years and is capable of all these things today. Therefore, there is no need to take away speed and agility, Batman would be benching 400-500 lbs, able to throw kicks and punches faster than expected from a man his size, and would be quick and agile.

--dk7

Salemdog
02-03-2006, 06:10 PM
There seems to be a back and forth on the speed and agility vs. strength. Perhaps a look at combine scores with athletes of a similiar height and weight to compare with the stats of Batman might help. The following is in order of height, weight, 40 yd dash, vertical jump, long jump, bench press reps with 225, shuttle and cone drills.

Peter SirmonOregon6-1-7/82464.8434-1/2"9'7"204.277.21
Marcus BellArizona6-1-5/82374.7831-1/2"9'3"214.337.17
Ian GoldMichigan6-1-1/82214.5833"9'7"214.196.97
Dashon PolkArizona6-1-7/82334.7332"9'3"184.457.43
Brian GrayBrigham Young6-1-1/42144.9533-1/2"9'8"194.247.38
Rogers BeckettMarshall6-1-1/22074.6239-1/2"9'11"154.296.46
Tinker KeckCincinnati6-1-1/42004.5936-1/2"10'0"154.316.96
Erik OlsonColorado State6-12064.5835"9'7"174.216.61

Hope this helps on the perspective.

My apologies on the stats. To help the first should read

6'1 7/8 246 4.84 34 1/2 9'7" 20 4.27 7.21

The Question
02-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Not to be rude: But why would you take away speed and agility. This guy TRAINED HIS WHOLE LIFE. My brother (being able to bench what he can bench) is still one of the fastest people I know "IN PERSON". He can hit me 5 times before I know it, his punches/kicks are like throwing bolders at my face, and he can do the splits. STILL, able to bench 345lbs.

PS: My bro trained Tae Kwan Doe/Kung Fu for 6 years and worked out for 10 years and is capable of all these things today. Therefore, there is no need to take away speed and agility, Batman would be benching 400-500 lbs, able to throw kicks and punches faster than expected from a man his size, and would be quick and agile.

--dk7

Just because you've trained for a long time doesn't mean you'll be much stronger than you were a few years earlyer. There comes a point where you have to sacrifice strength for speed and agility or vice versa. That's just how the body works. In fact, the way you described your brother sounds about right for Batman.

Mr. Socko
02-03-2006, 06:24 PM
I don't imagine Batman to be much stronger or a better fighter then Ra's.

Abe Rush
02-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Some people are getting carried away here...
First of all, we shouldn't try to use pictures of Batman to show his physiology, as there are way too many different interpretations of him in order to be able to stay completely objective here. I think everyone will agree on this, no?

He can go from this...
http://www.darkknight.ca/gallery/batman.jpg

To this... and more.
http://www.imakinarium.net/comic/Persnajes/Batman/batman/er03batman1.jpg

... and his "official stats" will always remain the same.

From a logical standpoint, Batman wouldn't try to get as big as possible, as it would affect his mouvements and agility in a negative way. We all know that he has done tons or martial arts training and to my knowledge, none of them ( that I'm aware of ) prones huge muscles... I think that Bruce Wayne is smart enough to know that's not the way to go anyway. His strength comes from within him, as well as from experience... I think that anyone who'd want to do his kind of "job" would never put emphasis on training with 700 lbs lifts and such.

Plus, although it might just be nitpicking, I think that it's more "realistic" if he's not that muscle bound, as he is still Bruce Wayne in his everyday life... he has to maintain the illusion. He fights all night and hardly gets any sleep, all his energy goes to fighting crime, which leads me to believe he's not some abnormal super powered lifter... at all.

darknight7
02-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Just because you've trained for a long time doesn't mean you'll be much stronger than you were a few years earlyer. There comes a point where you have to sacrifice strength for speed and agility or vice versa. That's just how the body works. In fact, the way you described your brother sounds about right for Batman.

Hmm, once again, not to be rude, but you kind of confused me with your arguement.

But what I am trying to say is, being able to see my brother do all these things, at 5'7 160lbs, makes it easy for me to beleive that Batman would be agile, fast and strong all at once. I don't beleive he would lose anything, because his body would be at the max human peak. He would be strong from training, allowing him to lift weights from 1 - (AT LEAST) 450lbs, at his size and weight, 6'2, 210lbs. Yet he would be just as agile as ever because he is doing cardio practically everynight for who knows how many hours, and he has to be able to throw fast/swift/strong shots as well.

Personally Batman would be just as fast as he is strong. I don't beleive there would be any deductions. Like I said before, my brother is fast as ever, and strong as ever. Seeing a real human being do what my bro can do, makes me beleive that someone with a more weight and training, could do alot more. lol.

Just my opinion, not saying yours is wrong:) :up: , just how I see things.

--dk7

The Question
02-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Yes. But what I was saying is that I'd think your brother is about at the limit of the balance between strength and speed. So, I'd think that Batman would be at roughly the same level as your brother. As you get stronger, it eventually gets to the point where you have to sacrifice speed and agility for strength. That is a fact. The kind of people who can bench press 500 pounds are huge and bulky. Not agile at all, and only fast in terms of sprinting (like football players).

The Question
02-03-2006, 06:56 PM
EDIT: Double post.

darknight7
02-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Yes. But what I was saying is that I'd think your brother is about at the limit of the balance between strength and speed. So, I'd think that Batman would be at roughly the same level as your brother. As you get stronger, it eventually gets to the point where you have to sacrifice speed and agility for strength. That is a fact. The kind of people who can bench press 500 pounds are huge and bulky. Not agile at all, and only fast in terms of sprinting (like football players).

You make sense:) , and yes I can agree with you on most levels. And I still beleive my own opinion as well, But at the same time, if we were to look at it how you say...than:

Bro: 160lbs (benches 345lbs)

Batman: 210 (benches 385lbs)

Because, if you add the 40lbs difference onto the bench, it will add up to 385lbs. But I am willing to bet, that Batman would be at least to put up 400lbs once. Like in a life threatening situation when he is trapped under a 400lbs peice of something, he could lift it up. But other than that, I would say 400lbs is probably Batman's limit.

What do you think Question?

--dk7

Mr. Socko
02-03-2006, 07:46 PM
I also agree Batman benching 700 is crazy, carried away, and stupid.

The Question
02-03-2006, 08:01 PM
You make sense:) , and yes I can agree with you on most levels. And I still beleive my own opinion as well, But at the same time, if we were to look at it how you say...than:

Bro: 160lbs (benches 345lbs)

Batman: 210 (benches 385lbs)

Because, if you add the 40lbs difference onto the bench, it will add up to 385lbs. But I am willing to bet, that Batman would be at least to put up 400lbs once. Like in a life threatening situation when he is trapped under a 400lbs peice of something, he could lift it up. But other than that, I would say 400lbs is probably Batman's limit.

What do you think Question?

--dk7

Makes a certain amount of sense. I might put the strength a bit lower, simply because Batman just seems like the type of fighter who'd put more emphasis on speed rather than strength, but that does make a good amount of sense.

The Question
02-03-2006, 08:04 PM
I also agree Batman benching 700 is crazy, carried away, and stupid.

Well, that's a problem DC's writers have. They try and have Batman doing all sorts of cool stuff without even stoping to think how ludicrous it sounds.

Bloodsword
02-05-2006, 07:04 PM
I think his strength level was increased after the "venom" story line. He had some lingering effects after. So he MAY be benching 700, but its with some help from the Venom left in his system.

The Question
02-05-2006, 10:07 PM
I'm fairly certain Venom doesn't work like that at all. And veen if it did, Bane (who is now off of Venom after using it quite regularly) is around the 700/800 pound area, and he's a ****ing tank. He's about seven feet tall and 300 pounds of pure muscle. He can probably barely fit through doors and the like. And again, I don't think Venom causes any permament changes. Bane stoped using the stuff and had to build his strength back up naturally, and even then he isn't as strong as he was on Venom (but he's still a ****ing tank of a man).

mano012sg
02-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Guys. You say Batman is at the Peak Fitness condition and speed. its a matter of balance.

Having said that, the guiness book of records has feats: lifting cars, pulling trains.aircraft etc: done by people like arnie himself or 'measly' looking priests, or shaolin monks. I mean having learnt 127 martial arts Batman of the fictional world should be able to flip his own batmobile turtle with his strength. I am talking in terms of 1000++ pounds or 2 tons at max. Sounds impossible till you see that Shaq O Neil himself does 1000lbs for his leg press alone.

By learning martial arts, his strength is increased functionally, while his speed is just as fast. Human being Bruce Lee could do things that belied his frame. Wat more about peak potential, fully muscular Batman?

ObakeTora
02-16-2006, 06:39 PM

ahh is that all? I would hope the number is larger then that. I can bench 300 atomatically after a long period of not working out. I think he should be able to atleast bench 400-700 as much as he trains.

Mr. Socko
02-16-2006, 06:49 PM
Well, that's a problem DC's writers have. They try and have Batman doing all sorts of cool stuff without even stoping to think how ludicrous it sounds.

Batman just looks like a huge bodybuilder in alot of the comics.

Frosty81
02-17-2006, 01:11 AM
The current Batman is often drawn to be as big as the most well built body builder. He is also seen being as fast as an olympic sprinter. In reality it has to be one or the other, or some combination of the two. The 80's Batman was probably the closest to balancing strength and speed within the confines of comic book art. The greatest of all artists, Jim Lee, depicts Batman as being absolutely huge, but amazingly quick. Tim Sale does the same. In reality, there is no way one can be that strong and move that fast. The human body doesn't work that way so some compromise must be made.

- Chris

Saint
02-17-2006, 01:16 AM
Jim Lee is hardly "the greatest of all artists."

Frosty81
02-17-2006, 01:27 AM
Jim Lee is hardly "the greatest of all artists."

:confused:

- Chris

War Lord
02-17-2006, 01:38 AM
The current Batman is often drawn to be as big as the most well built body builder. He is also seen being as fast as an olympic sprinter. In reality it has to be one or the other, or some combination of the two. The 80's Batman was probably the closest to balancing strength and speed within the confines of comic book art. The greatest of all artists, Jim Lee, depicts Batman as being absolutely huge, but amazingly quick. Tim Sale does the same. In reality, there is no way one can be that strong and move that fast. The human body doesn't work that way so some compromise must be made.

- Chris

Professional basketball players are very quick and they average close to 7 feet tall. I only bring it up to refute the point that bigness must compromise quickness or agility. Shaq isn't slow and he's 7 feet and 300 lbs.

Here is how Batman is plausible. Plausible doesn't mean reality, but simply possiblity:

1. His strength is because he's on the very upper end of fast twitch. This means that he can have a lot of power and strength without necessarily needing a lot of muscle mass, incomparison to most powerlifters who typically don't have a lot of power, but strength.

2. He has a very low percentage of fat, so the fact that he's 215 lbs (I think he should weigh closer to 230 with the same low fat percentage) means that if he was the average 15%, he'd weigh closer to 240 lbs.

3. He's not so much as quick as well practiced. The reason why he appears quicker than he is because every move he makes has been practiced ten thousand times. He doesn't have to think about what to do, which aids his agility.

4. Where he would lose is his endurance, because if he's primarily fast-twitch, he'd be strong and fast but couldn't last in an extended fight. Mind you, he really doesn't need endurance because of of what he does relies on the surprise and quick and because he's so skillful, his fights probably don't last very long either. Also, because he is so strong, most of what he does doesn't really tax him so it appears that he has lots of endurance. I would say that this was the primary reason for him losing against Captain America in the cross-over.

War Lord
02-17-2006, 01:38 AM

- Chris

I don't think he likes Jim Lee.

Frosty81
02-17-2006, 01:59 AM
Professional basketball players are very quick and they average close to 7 feet tall. I only bring it up to refute the point that bigness must compromise quickness or agility. Shaq isn't slow and he's 7 feet and 300 lbs.

I agree with most of what you have to say. But the more you run, the leaner your muscles become. Shaq is 7ft plus. His weight is not applicable to a 6ft man or a 5ft man. If someone were to move as Batman is portrayed to, like a gymnist, your muscles wouldn't be that bulky. You would be "cut" to no end, but not huge.

- Chris

Frosty81
02-17-2006, 02:00 AM
I don't think he likes Jim Lee.

- Chris

warren_sparta27
02-17-2006, 02:24 AM
someone doesn't like Jim Lee :(

The Question
02-17-2006, 08:06 AM
ahh is that all? I would hope the number is larger then that. I can bench 300 atomatically after a long period of not working out. I think he should be able to atleast bench 400-700 as much as he trains.

Not all training necesairly increases how much you can bench. Batman is a fighter. Menaing his training would logically concentrait on speed and agility more than strength.

ChrisBaleBatman
02-17-2006, 08:53 AM
Honestly, Jim Lee is the best DC Comics has to offer right now. I don't know about his rank of ALL time artists.....but, as of today's artists...he's defintely up there all right.

The Question
02-17-2006, 10:09 AM
I hardly think he's DC's best. His art is nice, but it's all style and no substance. I much prefer Frank Quietly's art.

ObakeTora
02-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Not all training necesairly increases how much you can bench. Batman is a fighter. Menaing his training would logically concentrait on speed and agility more than strength.

Yes Bats is a fighter, but you have to consider that since he doesnt kill he has to train like a firefighter. When I was in fire camp the strength levels were between 300 to 620 bench. Im just assuming he must be strong because of all the heavy bodies Ive seen him hoist out of burning buildings and so on. So just imagine how formidable a person would be if they included speed+agility+strength

deemar325
02-18-2006, 09:18 PM

You realize Batman is a normal human with no super powers?

So your question is redundant, how strong is an peak athlete? theres your answer.

deemar325
02-18-2006, 09:18 PM
I hardly think he's DC's best. His art is nice, but it's all style and no substance. I much prefer Frank Quietly's art.

Ditto. :up:

StorminNorman
02-18-2006, 09:26 PM
You realize Batman is a normal human with no super powers?

So your question is redundant, how strong is an peak athlete? theres your answer.

But see it doesnt work that way, Batman is a comic book (or movie) hero and thus can have super powers while being normal humans.

StorminNorman
02-18-2006, 09:27 PM
Honestly, Jim Lee is the best DC Comics has to offer right now. I don't know about his rank of ALL time artists.....but, as of today's artists...he's defintely up there all right.

I have not seen much of Lee's art (relative noobie as far as Batbooks go), but I was very very impressed with HUSH.

The Question
02-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Yes Bats is a fighter, but you have to consider that since he doesnt kill he has to train like a firefighter. When I was in fire camp the strength levels were between 300 to 620 bench. Im just assuming he must be strong because of all the heavy bodies Ive seen him hoist out of burning buildings and so on. So just imagine how formidable a person would be if they included speed+agility+strength

1) Why would the fact that he doesn't kill mean that he would have firefighter training?

2) The human body doesn't work like that. If you're as strong as a human being can possibly be, you can't also be as agile or flexible. I'm sure the people who you trained with who could bench 620 pounds weren't as agile as they could be. Batman would want the proper blend of speed, agility, strength, and reflexes. Seeing as how speed is much more of a factor in a fight than strength, then he would probably concentrait more on speed and agility. So, I'd say 300-350 pounds would be his strength level.

But see it doesnt work that way, Batman is a comic book (or movie) hero and thus can have super powers while being normal humans.

Yeah, but that would be ****ing retarded.

StorminNorman
02-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Yeah, but that would be ****ing retarded.

You miss understand me, I am not saying that writers can just give Batman the powers of spiderman (they can but it would be as you said retarted), I mean that they can have them surpass normal human limits. Thus comparing Batman's ability to that of a peak athlete is a flawed case, of course now I relize I am actually having a conversation about a fictional characters Strength and feel ashamed.

The Question
02-18-2006, 11:05 PM
You miss understand me, I am not saying that writers can just give Batman the powers of spiderman (they can but it would be as you said retarted), I mean that they can have them surpass normal human limits. Thus comparing Batman's ability to that of a peak athlete is a flawed case, of course now I relize I am actually having a conversation about a fictional characters Strength and feel ashamed.

That would still be ****ing retarded. If they say he's just a normal human with training, they should write him as such.

StorminNorman
02-18-2006, 11:12 PM
That would still be ****ing retarded. If they say he's just a normal human with training, they should write him as such.

But fiction action heros are never normal humans. If Batman gets in a spot and he needs to do something that would normally be humanily impossible, but not exactly super human he does it. If Batman gets shot he recovers. If Batman breaks his back he comes back to fight another day. None of these are "super powers" but they are impossible for normal human beings, however they need to happen inorder for the next comic to come out. Its not just comics but action movies and the what not. When you are creating something you have no limits, in real life it does not work that way.

The Question
02-19-2006, 10:44 AM
One can recover from being shot. And when Batman's back was broken, he went through months of physical therapy and had the help of a metahuman healer to get back into fighting condition.

StorminNorman
02-19-2006, 12:29 PM
One can recover from being shot. And when Batman's back was broken, he went through months of physical therapy and had the help of a metahuman healer to get back into fighting condition.

So you are saying that one can sustain the beatings Batman has taken over his comic book life and be A Okay? No. Its a comic (or movie or whatever) and thus the characters are never limited to normal human limits.

ObakeTora
02-19-2006, 03:58 PM
[quote=The Question]1) Why would the fact that he doesn't kill mean that he would have firefighter training?

quote]

since he doesnt kill I assumed he had some kind of training since I see him pulling criminals out of burning buildings.

The Question
02-19-2006, 04:56 PM
So you are saying that one can sustain the beatings Batman has taken over his comic book life and be A Okay? No. Its a comic (or movie or whatever) and thus the characters are never limited to normal human limits.

Obviously he's going to be scarred as **** (which he is), but he wears body armor, which does protect him (that being it's job and all). And, it is possible to get shot and recover. Like I said, he wears body armor, so most of his injuries are cuts, bruises, minor bullet wounds, and the occasional broken bone. It's not like he's being put into traction every other week. And like I said, with his back breaking, he did go through months of physical therapy and had the help of a metahuman healer.

And yes, if the characters are well written, then they should be limited to normal human limits. Otherwise, it's just lazy writing.

since he doesnt kill I assumed he had some kind of training since I see him pulling criminals out of burning buildings.

That doesn't mean he has firefighter training. Just that he's pulled some people out of burning buildings on occasion. And it's not like it's something he does regularly. It happens very rarely to him, I'd think.

ChrisBaleBatman
02-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Meh, over the years........a couple times I'd assume.

I'd be more inclined to think he took alot of "dodge-the-bullets-or-die" training........those are much more common.

explode7
02-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Jeez I didn't know this thread will become so popular.

Mr. Socko
02-22-2006, 07:14 PM
And to think it still has nothing to do with Batman 2.

explode7
02-22-2006, 07:17 PM
word

Jplaya2023
02-23-2006, 03:37 PM
Batman at his prime with no venom payload in the DC universe can bench 650+ pounds i beleive

With the venom payload its well over 1 ton

explode7
03-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Really? But does he or has he really used his full strength in the movies or comics?

Jplaya2023
03-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Really? But does he or has he really used his full strength in the movies or comics?

No he hasnt in the comics or movies but in TAS when he became rage batman prime he used his full strength and fighting abilities.

Savage
03-02-2006, 11:23 PM
Actually, he did use it in the movie. When he lifted Ra's with one arm. One bicep curl with a 200+ pound man. THAT is insane!:eek: Musta drank a truckload of milk.

War Lord
03-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Actually, he did use it in the movie. When he lifted Ra's with one arm. One bicep curl with a 200+ pound man. THAT is insane!:eek: Musta drank a truckload of milk.

It was more of a press than a curl.

The Question
03-08-2006, 07:29 AM

Well, it definately seemed like one of those "kid trapped under a car and mom lifts the car" moments. Bruce was obviously running on adrenaline there. I mean, if you had been in that situation, wouldn't you be?

mano012sg
03-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Hmm, once again, not to be rude, but you kind of confused me with your arguement.

But what I am trying to say is, being able to see my brother do all these things, at 5'7 160lbs, makes it easy for me to beleive that Batman would be agile, fast and strong all at once. I don't beleive he would lose anything, because his body would be at the max human peak. He would be strong from training, allowing him to lift weights from 1 - (AT LEAST) 450lbs, at his size and weight, 6'2, 210lbs. Yet he would be just as agile as ever because he is doing cardio practically everynight for who knows how many hours, and he has to be able to throw fast/swift/strong shots as well.

Personally Batman would be just as fast as he is strong. I don't beleive there would be any deductions. Like I said before, my brother is fast as ever, and strong as ever. Seeing a real human being do what my bro can do, makes me beleive that someone with a more weight and training, could do alot more. lol.

Just my opinion, not saying yours is wrong:) :up: , just how I see things.

--dk7
If you want to see a believable comic character to cross-reference batman,
I suggest you look at Hiko Seijuro of Rurouni Kenshin. He's huge yet well proportioned, yet belivably as powerful as he's potryed to be, with raw power (perfectly interchangable immense strength and speed). So with that, Batman could conceivably lift quite a >500 lb hefty weight with little problems, adding in years of refinement, and hence the deceptive toned body. with a little touc hup on his wardrobe, Bruce can appear campy and unassuming without putting his Bats identity at risk

GoldGoblin
03-13-2006, 05:01 PM

^So he can bench half of what I do.

Jplaya2023
03-13-2006, 05:05 PM
^So he can bench half of what I do.

thats because you take steroids

GoldGoblin
03-13-2006, 06:46 PM
thats because you take steroids

^No,Goblin serum:)

ChrisBaleBatman
03-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Dude.......ewwwww.......that sounds soooooo wrong.

krpton2
03-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Lower than superman.

mano012sg
10-12-2006, 09:33 PM

Here is how Batman is plausible. Plausible doesn't mean reality, but simply possiblity:

1. His strength is because he's on the very upper end of fast twitch. This means that he can have a lot of power and strength without necessarily needing a lot of muscle mass, incomparison to most powerlifters who typically don't have a lot of power, but strength.

2. He has a very low percentage of fat, so the fact that he's 215 lbs (I think he should weigh closer to 230 with the same low fat percentage) means that if he was the average 15%, he'd weigh closer to 240 lbs.

3. He's not so much as quick as well practiced. The reason why he appears quicker than he is because every move he makes has been practiced ten thousand times. He doesn't have to think about what to do, which aids his agility.

4. Where he would lose is his endurance, because if he's primarily fast-twitch, he'd be strong and fast but couldn't last in an extended fight. Mind you, he really doesn't need endurance because of of what he does relies on the surprise and quick and because he's so skillful, his fights probably don't last very long either. Also, because he is so strong, most of what he does doesn't really tax him so it appears that he has lots of endurance. I would say that this was the primary reason for him losing against Captain America in the cross-over.
which shows you don't know a **** about world class fitness

War Lord
10-12-2006, 09:48 PM
which shows you don't know a **** about world class fitness

I know enough that it's impossible to be the peak of human strength and endurance at the same time.

mano012sg
10-12-2006, 09:59 PM
I know enough that it's impossible to be the peak of human strength and endurance at the same time.
Which is not enough of knowledge. Impossible is nothing. Its balnace.
And freaking hell...if a bloddy animal's powers are measured in terms of their own body measurements, shouldn't comic batman break some human limits and follow that scheme of thought? probably maxing at 5 times his body weight in terms of strength or 10 times of per second of his height (60 km/h sprint) in terms of speed. That's not too fast for a peak comic athelete, a fluffy ostrich can run faster. without combining speed and strength about with skill alone about 3x more powerful than bruce Lee.

Boy, He'll be able to --
Lift: 600 kg @ 120kg body wt
Hold: 60 kg flat out like it were a tea cup for almost as long (so you can imagine him shaking the daylights out of 180 kg men with one hand)
Run: 40km/h (faster than any human world sprint record)
Sprint: 60-70 km/h (>1.5 x faster than human sprinter, about as fast and graceful as a deer or rhino)
Endure: a knock in the gut of 3 ton pressure or an endurance of 300 kg like it he were its support (trained exercise + mastery of Iron Body Chi Kung techniques from Qigong, Tai Chi, Kung Fu and Ninjitsu -- 4 of 127 martial arts he learnt).
Reflexes: ~ 300 ft/sec (95 km/h) with pin point accuracy, not counting putting the full body into the action.
Jump: 20 ft into the air ; Dive/Glide: 30 ft forward
Leap a diagonal distance of 20 - 25 ft with a run up launch.

*These are all possible human- superhuman feats accomplished up to 75-80% by martial artists, 'feats' men etc...* I am extrapolating from facts that were just as close (Bruce lee could kick 10 ft in the air...its known that he leapt 8 feet to kick a light bulb. around the time of 'enter the dragon' it had increased to 10 feet) so compared to that Batman is a lucky westener with more power and more lifelong training and instruction than bruce lee, so inching up a little to jumping at 20 feet, for bruce, I don't think would be a problem for him and him alone.

By the way this isn't a fantasy that I HOPE batman to have. it is a caluculation that I EXPECT ( interms of "he jolly well have") Batman to meet or exceed.

Eros
10-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Batman is stornger then the average guy, he has the same strength level as Green Arrow and all the other powerless heroes.

StorminNorman
10-12-2006, 10:06 PM
I would say Batman is more strong than your normal powerless heroes. (Green Arrow, Nightwing, Huntress, Daredevil). He has always come off (to me) to be much more power than the finess of say a Nightwing or a Daredevil. Green Arrow isn't exactly in the same catagory me thinks.

War Lord
10-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Which is not enough of knowledge

I know more than you might think, because I've actually studied the subject. That doesn't mean that I know everything there is to fitness and I have forgotten much I'll admit, because it's been about 20 years since I've studied the material, but I have studied it and know enough still.

However in terms of this subject, I only wanted to show that Batman was merely plausible and show how it was plausible.

Eros
10-12-2006, 10:22 PM
I would say Batman is more strong than your normal powerless heroes. (Green Arrow, Nightwing, Huntress, Daredevil). He has always come off (to me) to be much more power than the finess of say a Nightwing or a Daredevil. Green Arrow isn't exactly in the same catagory me thinks.

considering Green Arrow,Nightwing,Huntress,Daredevil take on super powered villains just like batman does, i would disagree with your statement.

Keyser Sushi
10-12-2006, 10:23 PM
This thread is stupid.

Batman is stronger than you. Batman is smarter than you.

End of discussion.

Eros
10-12-2006, 10:29 PM
This thread is stupid.

Batman is stronger than you. Batman is smarter than you.

End of discussion.

he also is apprently more homosexual then us.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/77/Batbed.png/200px-Batbed.png

StorminNorman
10-12-2006, 10:31 PM
considering Green Arrow,Nightwing,Huntress,Daredevil take on super powered villains just like batman does, i would disagree with your statement.

Nightwing/Huntress/Daredevil have more of an acrobatic style than Batman does though. Their body types are much more stremelined and thus would equal to more speed/less power.

Green Arrow uses projectiles, so he doesn't need the pure brute force Batman does.

War Lord
10-12-2006, 10:56 PM

I can't help but ask why, during the fifties, they showed married people sleeping in different beds, but they show this?

mano012sg
10-12-2006, 10:57 PM
I know more than you might think, because I've actually studied the subject. That doesn't mean that I know everything there is to fitness and I have forgotten much I'll admit, because it's been about 20 years since I've studied the material, but I have studied it and know enough still.

However in terms of this subject, I only wanted to show that Batman was merely plausible and show how it was plausible.
what I am telling you is this. I don't care if you are a PH.D on the subject of Fitness and human potential....coz when you put limits on a human being, especially one like batman....all your studies is useless.

Here's my belief: no limits, temporary plaeteus ok, but in the long term no limits. I don't even give a **** to professors' insisting that the human body will this or that or impossible...coz...these same smarties have not been able understand things that happen but are 'outside the realm of science'. I am talking about normal things at an extreme level. So so long as they can't explain that, I don't give a **** about their studies.

mano012sg
10-12-2006, 10:58 PM

you can ask me: if I am so smart...do I have the answers. As a matter of fact I do. But sorry I am not going to share them. You go and use yur studies and figure them out for yourself.

War Lord
10-12-2006, 11:00 PM
what I am telling you is this. I don't care if you are a PH.D on the subject of Fitness and human potential....coz when you put limits on a human being, especially one like batman....all your studies is useless.

Here's my belief: no limits, temporary plaeteus ok, but in the long term no limits. I don't even give a **** to professors' insisting that the human body will this or that or impossible...coz...these same smarties have not been able understand things that happen but are 'outside the realm of science'. I am talking about normal things at an extreme level. So so long as they can't explain that, I don't give a **** about their studies.

Then why are you arguing with me on this? :confused:

If you've read the thread, I've defended the plausibility of Batman from the start.

mano012sg
10-12-2006, 11:05 PM

since you know so much tell me:
What is the true upper limit of the human physical potential. I am not talking about xxx lbs max....I am talking about when the human being's potential is unleashed so that he is completely full of energy and totally balanced and calm, that that is truly the peak potential of the human individual that there's no way he can improve anymore...what is that level?

Now forget scientists and present predictions. Based on solely your studies and understanding--Answer me on this:

1) Describe based on your understanding the ''things he could do" at (complete) peak physical potential
2) Give me the stats in your opinion for every component of fitness (strength, power, speed etc..), for this person at this peak potential.

I want to see how much we have in common in understanding.

Eros
10-12-2006, 11:06 PM
Nightwing/Huntress/Daredevil have more of an acrobatic style than Batman does though. Their body types are much more stremelined and thus would equal to more speed/less power.

Green Arrow uses projectiles, so he doesn't need the pure brute force Batman does.

i do agree, but Green arrow physique matches Batman[as does Roy Harper].Ive yet to see Baman physically do something another none powered hero can't do[ if not better]. Hell Robin can do most of the things Bruce can do, only when Tim drake does it its more impressive, him being a teenager[and skinny 5 foot nothing] and all.

Keyser Sushi
10-12-2006, 11:06 PM

It's THAN. More homosexual THAN us. THAN. Not THEN.

"Then" is a reference to a specific point in time. "Than" is a comparative term.

I am smarter THAN you.

You made a typo, and THEN I corrected you.

:yay:

ChrisBaleBatman
10-12-2006, 11:08 PM
I'm pretty sure that's Ownage.

Checking......checking......uh, yes. Ownage.

Eros
10-12-2006, 11:14 PM
ChrisBaleBatman i really hope you are aware i Am John MacLeod of the Clan Macleod.

Crooklyn
10-12-2006, 11:15 PM
I'm pretty sure that's Ownage.

Checking......checking......uh, yes. Ownage.
I'm pretty sure that's Ass-Kissing.

Checking......checking......uh, yes. Ass is kissed. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/Dex4788/Smilies/Love/005.gif

:ninja:

ChrisBaleBatman
10-12-2006, 11:18 PM
ChrisBaleBatman i really hope you are aware i Am John MacLeod of the Clan Macleod.

The who..........? Of the what......? :huh: :huh: :huh:

aware? uh.......yeah, I'm aware of ownage when I see it. Hey, take it up with Keyser.

War Lord
10-12-2006, 11:21 PM
since you know so much tell me:
What is the true upper limit of the human physical potential. I am not talking about xxx lbs max....I am talking about when the human being's potential is unleashed so that he is completely full of energy and totally balanced and calm, that that is truly the peak potential of the human individual that there's no way he can improve anymore...what is that level?

Now forget scientists and present predictions. Based on solely your studies and understanding--Answer me on this:

1) Describe based on your understanding the ''things he could do" at (complete) peak physical potential
2) Give me the stats in your opinion for every component of fitness (strength, power, speed etc..), for this person at this peak potential.

I want to see how much we have in common in understanding.

The upper limit of the human body has probably been figured out, but I wouldn't know what it is.

However, the way the human body is set up, when you are at the upper extreme of the human body in one aspect, you lose out on others. For example, you don't see marathon champions competing in weight-lifitng competitions for the very reason that the the kind of body that creates endurance champions don't create weight-lifting champions. Bodies that create champion power-lifters don't create champion marathon runners.

You can have a person being at peak fitness in any particular physical aspect (or a few of them), but then they cannot be so in others.

It is possible to have a person who is in the upper-middle range for many physical aspects, but that person pays a price by not being able to be a champion in any physical aspect.

Since this thread was on Batman's physical strength, I merely provided an explanation of how he is so strong.

mano012sg
10-12-2006, 11:27 PM
The upper limit of the human body has probably been figured out, but I wouldn't know what it is.

However, the way the human body is set up, when you are at the upper extreme of the human body in one aspect, you lose out on others. For example, you don't see marathon champions competing in weight-lifitng competitions for the very reason that the the kind of body that creates endurance champions don't create weight-lifting champions. Bodies that create champion power-lifters don't create champion marathon runners.

You can have a person being at peak fitness in any particular physical aspect (or a few of them), but then they cannot be so in others.

It is possible to have a person who is in the upper-middle range for many physical aspects, but that person pays a price by not being able to be a champion in any physical aspect.

Since this thread was on Batman's physical strength, I merely provided an explanation of how he is so strong.
typical expalination. Straight from the studies.
But you've not answered the question directly. Putting limits on the human body. Fine if that is your thanking...fantastic...live with it.

mano012sg
10-12-2006, 11:27 PM

But you've not answered the question directly. Putting limits on the human body. Fine if that is your thinking...fantastic...live with it.

mano012sg
10-12-2006, 11:33 PM

But you've not answered the question directly. Putting limits on the human body. Fine if that is your thinking...fantastic...live with it.

War Lord
10-12-2006, 11:34 PM

When you can show me a champion marathon runner lifting world class weights, I'll take your rebuttle under consideration.

DA Harvey Dent
10-12-2006, 11:42 PM

I agree. You can't be at the upper level of power lifting and simultaneously be at the upper level of long distance running. The reason is simply b/c both of those activities require different levels of endurance, muscle fiber recruitment, VO2 levels, etc.

Yup, you can be a very strong power lifter and be a very good long distance runner - you just can't be at the top level for each of these activites b/c they require vastly different bodytypes.

mano012sg
10-12-2006, 11:43 PM
When you can show me a champion marathon runner lifting world class weights, I'll take your rebuttle under consideration.
On earth...so far there isn't any, unless you count Bruce Lee, who for his own size and worth was pretty much well-rounded, and still admired by these elite athletes. But this at a higher level...so so far not yet (only)

As for the others...they are limited by mindsets like yours or take to their preferences with passion. If they talk about balanced exercise its only in terms of the main one stands out, while all the rest are just supporting for the sake of having exercise balance.

But still coz of their area of focus....the results are like you claim...strength high, speed sacrificed etc...

So i'll show you an example when that person comes....errr....actually you'll see for yourself...since such a person will be world legend.

mano012sg
10-12-2006, 11:44 PM
I agree. You can't be at the upper level of power lifting and simultaneously be at the upper level of long distance running. The reason is simply b/c both of those activities require different levels of endurance, muscle fiber recruitment, VO2 levels, etc.

Yup, you can be a very strong power lifter and be a very good long distance runner - you just can't be at the top level for each of these activites b/c they require vastly different bodytypes.
both within the physques of human capability. Why cant both be ultiamtely developed, for their own purposes?
its balance vs preference

mano012sg
10-12-2006, 11:45 PM

by the way endurance is a generic term for 'fitness baseline'. Its strength, stamina,speed and duration all rolled into one.

Its all about the skill of using your energy. that's it. MUscles and all are partly genetic, yet partly evolutionary as in based on your demand. I refuse to believe that even genes are a limit...coz even cells communicate and evolve.

War Lord
10-12-2006, 11:49 PM
both within the physques of human capability. Why cant both be ultiamtely developed, for their own purposes?

For example, the type of person who can do champion level power-lifting is going to have a very dense bone structure as well as a great capacity for putting on muscle. This adds weight that is going to take away from a body's ability to maximize endurance.

Not to mention that a champion power-lifter is going to have a lot of fast-twitch muscles, which is capable of expending a lot of energy quickly (which is why they can lift a lot of weight quickly), but the price of expending a lot of energy is not being able to minimize energy expenditure that is needed for marathon running.

saint sinner x
10-12-2006, 11:50 PM
hahahahahah you guys are very funny, some of you are stating that batman can only lift 750pounds max? It's the danm Batman and he is stronger then every non-powered hero such as: Nightwing, Punisher, Daredevil, Robin, Black Panther. I'll show you guys straight from the source now let's just take a closer look at the comics now shall we.

Batman is able to hold a cieling that weights exactly 1000pounds

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6687/77cbat1000cy2.jpg

Had enough? No I don't think so, here's Batman swinging MAN-BAT btw MAN-BAT weights about 600pounds

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9721/58961batswing122564lopr6.jpg

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/4213/a03batreexd9.jpg

Here's batman showing off some strength and adgility and looking pretty danm bad ass and stylish at it.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7439/1f4batductri6.jpg

Yea I pretty much established that Batman's strength is above a normal human then again Batman was never really meant to be taken realisticly he is a fictional character just like james bond and mcguyver.

As for spiderman's strength well www.marvel.com has him as 15times stronger then his own strength so I would say he's about the same strength level as Batman Beyond.

BAT's IS A FREAKIN BAD ASS!

War Lord
10-12-2006, 11:52 PM
As I said, while being a champion in one area is going to prevent a person from being a champion in another area, that doesn't mean that they can't develop further abilities in their weak areas, but they won't be able to have be a champion in those areas.

For example, a power-lifter can probably gain enough endurance to run 5 or 6 miles, but probably not much further without inhibiting his ability to lift massive weights.

Eros
10-12-2006, 11:54 PM
hahahahahah you guys are very funny, some of you are stating that batman can only lift 750pounds max? It's the danm Batman and he is stronger then every non-powered hero such as: Nightwing, Punisher, Daredevil, Robin, Black Panther. I'll show you guys straight from the source now let's just take a closer look at the comics now shall we.

Had enough? No I don't think so, here's Batman swinging MAN-BAT btw MAN-BAT weights about 600pounds

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9721/58961batswing122564lopr6.jpg

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/4213/a03batreexd9.jpg

Here's batman showing off some strength and adgility and looking pretty danm bad ass and stylish at it.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7439/1f4batductri6.jpg

Yea I pretty much established that Batman's strength is above a normal human then again Batman was never really meant to be taken realisticly he is a fictional character just like james bond and mcguyver.

As for spiderman's strength well www.marvel.com (http://www.marvel.com) has him as 15times stronger then his own strength so I would say he's about the same strength level as Batman Beyond.

BAT's IS A FREAKIN BAD ASS!

Spider-man can lift about 15 tons, Batman beyonds suit cannot do this.

DA Harvey Dent
10-13-2006, 12:21 AM
As I said, while being a champion in one area is going to prevent a person from being a champion in another area, that doesn't mean that they can't develop further abilities in their weak areas, but they won't be able to have be a champion in those areas.

For example, a power-lifter can probably gain enough endurance to run 5 or 6 miles, but probably not much further without inhibiting his ability to lift massive weights.

Exactly. Are people that dense that they don't understand this?

DA Harvey Dent
10-13-2006, 12:28 AM

Hello? Mcfly? There's a reason power lifters are built a certain way and marathon runners are built a completely different way. Like War Lord said, a power lifter can train to be a maraton runner and vice versa however, he will never be a top marathon runner while simultaneously being a top power lifter. Its a physiological impossiblity b/c of different muscle fiber recruitment (marathon runners have highly developed Type I muscle fibers; and power lifters have highly developed Type II muscle fibers), body momentum and dynamics, etc.

ChrisBaleBatman
10-13-2006, 12:33 AM
I'm pretty sure that's Ass-Kissing.

Checking......checking......uh, yes. Ass is kissed. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/Dex4788/Smilies/Love/005.gif

:ninja:

I'm pretty sure this is un-funny.

Checking....checking.....uh, yes...not funny.:woot:

ChrisBaleBatman
10-13-2006, 12:35 AM
Btw.......shouldn't some of those feats of strengths get chalked up to the good 'ol 'Bat-God'?

StorminNorman
10-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Spider-man can lift about 15 tons, Batman beyonds suit cannot do this.

Of course he could...

With Prep Time. :batman:

ChrisBaleBatman
10-13-2006, 03:23 PM
That Batman Beyond suit can do a **** load of things. He can take a great ass whooping in that, Terry did atleast....

StorminNorman
10-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Yea, I mean Terry was a normal teenage (he was not unreasonably strong, big, special) who puts on a suit and BOOM! Got Batman's strength and abilities.

I would of loved to see what grown up, Bruce trained Terry could of done.

War Lord
10-13-2006, 03:27 PM

It occurs to me that if the wolves are trained to attack when the "sky" reaches the floor, that there might be nothing to attack, because a squished Batman isn't the best of targets.