PDA

View Full Version : Does any one know what 6'3" and 225 pounds lean actually looks like?

Pages : [1] 2

SuperMike335!!
06-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Hi all,

Not new to the boards, but have been lurking for a very long time. I read posts a lot, and I am of the group that does NOT like the way Routh looks as superman, or the costume changes.

At age 25, I am a life long superman fan, and comic collector as well, and this is far and away my favorite comic book character, so admittedly I am hard to please.

I am also an Iraq war vet with about 5 years in the army, and I have been an avid natural bodybuilder for a long time too, and have a good grasp on what bodyweights at certain bodyfat% look like, for given heights.

There seems to be a lot of argument on what build a superman actor should have. Some people here consider any muscular body a “muscle bound” freak, and think that 225 at 6’3” is skinny (not true at all). Others seem to favor a more Arnold Schwarzenegger type build for superman.

So what is “muscle bound?” The definition of muscle bound, is when a skeletal structure has so much muscle that is has lost a degree of movement to the point where it can no longer be athletic.

Let my say first off that only the most massive of bodybuilders are truly muscle bound. Guys like Ronnie Coleman 5’11” 300 pounds current Mr.Olympia, Jay Cutler 5’9” 300 pounds, Gunter Schlierkamp 6’2” 320+ pounds, Markus Ruhl 5’10” 300+pounds, are big time muscle-bound.

Lou Ferrigno, when he was on TV as the Hulk, although muscular, was only mildly muscle bound, and had the ability to still be athletic, so was Arnold S. Back in this time bodybuilders where not nearly as massive as they are to day.

For the most part, only bodybuilders, and some powerlifters, tend to be muscle-bound.

So by now you may be thinking that I would prefer a bodybuilder, like Mike O’hearn, to play superman? Absolutely NOT.

Remember Boagrius from the movie Troy (the giant guy Pitt kills in the beginning scene)? That was 6’11.5” 360+ pound bodybuilder, and WSM competitor Nathan Jones. That kind of build is WAY too massive for a role like superman, but would not be bad for a Juggernaut doomsday type character.

I think that bodybuilders tend to look way too muscular and especially the steroid using ones would just look cartoonish as Superman, on top of that they tend to be under 6 foot (not always the case, but many of them are), and even the taller ones these days still tend to be too built for the role of superman.

One thing we do agree on is that superman is ripped. He may not be a bodybuilder, but he can be very lean. No one wants a fat superman.

Then there is the “logical” argument that superman should be skinny because he could not lift weights to increase his muscular size. Nothing in the known galaxy would give him that type of resistance training. Not unless he was working out with planets, right?

WRONG, that is applying human physiology to him too much. If that were the case by the same logic superman would look sickly atrophied as everyday life would not give him the resistance his muscles need to maintain themselves!

Clark is an ALIEN, he can simply have whatever build that a Kryptonian has when under a yellow sun. No need to put logic to it, a strong lean muscular build (but NOT super-heavyweight bodybuilder), at a height of 6’3”. He can look like a guy who lifts weights even though he does not actually have to in order to maintain his body.

Then there is the Clark Kent argument, seriously, you think if a guy looked well built in a suit, that people would just assume he is a superhero? Absurd, it is well known that millions of men in the US. Lift weight to stay in shape, be muscular and healthy, and any one who knows him would just think “well he was a big farm kid, and he must work out”.

Also the real reason no one find his secret identity is that no one is looking for it! He does not wear a mask, so most people in the DC universe might just assume he does not have an identity he is trying to protect.

Now, officially, according to DC comics superman is 6’3” and 225 pounds. Sometimes it is printed as 235, like in the DC encyclopedia, but I will go with the 225 just to be conservative.

I happen to know what a lean 225 at 6’3” should look like. I know that some magazines have printed that Routh is 220 (even one typo that he was 250) yeah right!

Bull*****, Routh is not even 210, unless his bodyfat is >15%, and that IMHO is not lean enough to be superman if that is the case.

Some people may be thinking; “I have a friend who is 220 at 6’2”, and he does not look very muscular at all, to be muscular you got to be like 250”, well if that is the case your friend has a lot of bodyfat making up his weight%, or he is padding his weight to sound bigger.

I know several guys in my company who do work out, lift weights and who are lean by army standards, and weigh between 220-230, and are 6’2”-6’4”, and they all look way bigger than Routh does.

There are several guys who are the same weight as the guys who work out a lot, but who do not work out as much, and the difference is huge. The guys who work out minimally still are in half ways decent shape, and although they are not as lean as the better shape guys, even though they weigh similar, the visual difference in muscular size is huge. It all has to do with the bodyfat %. 6% fat vs. 18% at the same weight the 6% will look far more muscled.

6’3” at around 225 pounds, ripped, is actually more like an in-between Vin Diesel, and the Rock build. Vin only weighs about 210, and the Rock in the Run Down, and Walking tall weighed about 245 pounds at 6’5”.

So what Singer should have done was found a guy of that build with a face that resembled the current comic superman, and who can act, and I am sure that lots of guys can fit that bill.

That is just the way it is. Physically, IMHO Routh does just not look like a "superman", at all.

Reeve I think could have been about 15-20 pounds more muscular for his superman portrayal; and that still would not have been bodybuilder or muscle-bound proportions, or even closely resemble a Schwarzenegger look at all.

His face also does not look right, he looks too young. His face lacks the masculine qualities that Christopher Reeves had. Sure he may resemble Reeves, when Chris was 16 years old, but Routh does not look like superman to me. Not at all.

I think that the costume has also been changed too much. All the small changes add up to being a big change, and the hair cut on him is too long. Superman does not have a buzz cut, and sure his hair should be long enough to be wavy as Superman, but still look like a conservative business haircut on Clark.

Also the portrayal of Clark in modern day comics is much more head strong and less nerdy than it was during the Reeve era. More like the Bruce Tim animated Superman cartoon than the previous Superman movies.

Whack Arnolds
06-05-2006, 11:40 AM
Uhhh, ok. Welcome to the boards, I think?

Topdawg
06-05-2006, 11:45 AM
We've heard this a hundred times dude !

Routh IS Superman like it or not and they signed him for 2 other movies!.lol

Superman79
06-05-2006, 11:55 AM
We've heard this a hundred times dude !

Routh IS Superman like it or not and they signed him for 2 other movies!.lol

Yeah, it has been said, but so have many things on this board. SM335 was just getting something off his chest about his thoughts on the movie, no different than anything we've all done. Yes Routh is SUpes, no ifs ands or buts. But you never know, maybe Singer and Co. will get wind of the "thin SUpes" disdain and have BR work out/bulk up a wee bit more for the next film...

thechubbysaint
06-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Good post Supermike. I agree. Be prepared to be shouted down by the Singer fanboys though.

Bad Superman
06-05-2006, 11:58 AM
http://dvdmedia.ign.com/media/reviews/image/gladiator/gladiator_3.jpg

NotFadeAway
06-05-2006, 12:00 PM
http://dvdmedia.ign.com/media/reviews/image/gladiator/gladiator_3.jpg

Hey, that was my choice for Lex Luthor. Neat!!!

Superman79
06-05-2006, 12:01 PM

you know Venom, JP woulda made a pretty damn good Luthor I think...the question is...Would he have taken the role??

Cinemaman
06-05-2006, 12:03 PM
ROUTH=SUPERMAN :supes:

Eteric
06-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Wow, a "I hate Bradon" thread wrapped in a bodybuilder story... Nice try.

Also, you forget that the suit is like a rubber band, it constricts his muscles big time.

Spider-Steve
06-05-2006, 12:09 PM
Good post Supermike. I agree. Be prepared to be shouted down by the Singer fanboys though.

I'm a "Singer fanboy" and i repect each others opinion.

When i first saw the first official released pic of Superman i loved the belt, only the maroon was 'strange" for me.

But now i love whole the suit. We all should be happy there is a new Superman movie, no matter who the actor is or how the suit looks.

And i think Routh is just fine for his first movie. I think he will be more muscular for the sequels!!!

Steve

NotFadeAway
06-05-2006, 12:18 PM
you know Venom, JP woulda made a pretty damn good Luthor I think...the question is...Would he have taken the role??

Ya know, I think you could get him interested in the role, to atleast look at the script, but it would have to be a damn good, character driven villian to make him do so. I will go out on a limb and say he would NOT have taken the Luthor role that Kevin Spacey is playing.

As coporate, conniving, jealous of Superman Lex, Phoenix would rule the screen. Just watch him in Gladiator, how much his character hates Maximus because he is beloved by his father and the citizens of Rome, that is perfect for Superman/Lex. Ive thought JP would be a great Luthor sense the day I saw Gladiator.

grabmygladys
06-05-2006, 12:33 PM
I will be the first to say that I really hate noobs.:p I am sooo tired of these guys bashing Routh. Face it he is Superman so dont go see the movie if you feel he isnt!!!!!

y2jversion1
06-05-2006, 12:35 PM
The Rock (Dwayne Johnson) is 6'4 225lbs in the film "Walking Tall" at probably 8% bodyfat. During his wrasslin days and even in the movie "The Rundown", he was hovering around 240lbs.

NotFadeAway
06-05-2006, 12:35 PM
By the way, Jaquin Phoenix is now my choice for Harvey Dent.

The Kid
06-05-2006, 12:39 PM
maybe he could put on a little extra muscle, especially around the neck, I think. They gave him some with the padding but the body along with the suit's low undies make his mid-section seem too long for the supes I remember and overall gives off this lean-ness for the whole body in many pics i've seen. As for the face, it's the ears. he has long lobes. I think that's what makes him look a little bit more boyish than reeve. The kid who plays superboy has smaller ears and I see him more as a fit for supes because of it if we're talking perfect resemblence. They could, i think, find a way to do his hair better and somehow that would give the illusion of smaller ears. I'm thinking some sideburns would do the trick.

The suit, yeah... I think the regal look is a better way to go for the future.

Sarcasm
06-05-2006, 12:39 PM
You mention Lou Ferrigno....I found it funny how his frame was considered acceptable for the "Incredible Hulk". Lou is 6'5" tall and weighed 220 lbs when he portrayed the Hulk....when he returned to competitive pro bodybuilding in 1992 at the Mr. Olympia in Helsinki, Finland he weighed in a 298lbs and his bodyfat was easily at about 6%.......his looked twice as large as he did while portraying the Hulk, but Hollywood wouldn't have accepted him. Much like Routh's build, most people equate size with height not weight or muscular build...those concepts are fairly foreign to the average person. Although, tell the average person that a man is 6'8" and 240 lbs and they think that's huge.......it's not.....just tall. Routh is easily 6'3" and about 190lbs at best.......a ripped Superman, 5-6% bodyfat, 6'3" tall and 225lbs would be hard to swallow for the masses.

coast city
06-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Just saw a few pics and captures from the MTV Movie Awards. There's a few with Christian Bale and Brandon Routh. I found it interesting that side by side and face to face (in the pics) Routh appears to dwarf Bale. So compared to our current Batman, Routh not only looks about 2-3 inches taller, but also just bigger in general. Man those pics whetted my appetite for Supes vs. Batman movie!

SuperMike335!!
06-05-2006, 12:50 PM
I will be the first to say that I really hate noobs.:p I am sooo tired of these guys bashing Routh. Face it he is Superman so dont go see the movie if you feel he isnt!!!!!

really funny how my join date is 2 years before yours.

It may be a long post, but I may not post often.

BTW, I did not have much time to post when I first joined, I was in Bagdad.

Cinemaman
06-05-2006, 12:50 PM

Sometimes I really want to kill all them :D

y2jversion1
06-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Hey SuperMike335!!,

Good to have you back from Baghdad.. unfortunately, we're not allowed to have comments/criticism that go against Singer & Co. in the SR section anymore.

SuperMike335!!
06-05-2006, 12:55 PM
6'3" tall and 225lbs would be hard to swallow for the masses.

Oddly enough though, 225 does not look overly massive, not at that height any way, about what the Rock was in Walking tall, and I do not think that is too massive because the complaint most of the people I know, average folks who are not superman fans, and do not post here, is that Routh does not look masculen enough in face or body.

Besides, Superman IS officially 225 pounds.

biggles2000uk
06-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Uhhh, ok. Welcome to the boards, I think?

lol, look when he joined the boards.he's been around a while

grabmygladys
06-05-2006, 12:58 PM
SuperMike I am more of a Superman fan then you will ever be and if I had my way you would not be allowed to see this movie. Will a mod please close these stupid threads?! This is the Hype not the Planet.

SuperMike335!!
06-05-2006, 12:59 PM
You mention Lou Ferrigno....I found it funny how his frame was considered acceptable for the "Incredible Hulk". Lou is 6'5" tall and weighed 220 lbs when he portrayed the Hulk....when he returned to competitive pro bodybuilding in 1992 at the Mr. Olympia in Helsinki, Finland he weighed in a 298lbs and his bodyfat was easily at about 6%.......his looked twice as large as he did while portraying the Hulk, but Hollywood wouldn't have accepted him. Much like Routh's build, most people equate size with height not weight or muscular build...those concepts are fairly foreign to the average person. Although, tell the average person that a man is 6'8" and 240 lbs and they think that's huge.......it's not.....just tall. Routh is easily 6'3" and about 190lbs at best.......a ripped Superman, 5-6% bodyfat, 6'3" tall and 225lbs would be hard to swallow for the masses.

Lou was WAY over 220 when he was the hulk, he started weighing 275 at the beggining, and gradually got even bigger over the years, he was about 290 when he was in Return of the INcredible Hulk. Durring his run as the hulk his bodyfat was about 10-12%, very lean, abbs, vascularity.

Yes, he did return to competition in the early 90's took second place in the Masters division Olympia, and he was 298 there. Only about 5% fat too, maybe less. He was a peeled freak then.

griffolyon12
06-05-2006, 01:01 PM
I personally feel Routh looks perfect for the part.And since this is based off of the old 40s cartoons and the old movies he is the perfect build.Superman wasn't huge in Golden Age comics.Routh looks perfect for what Singer is going for.

SuperMike335!!
06-05-2006, 01:01 PM
SuperMike I am more of a Superman fan then you will ever be and if I had my way you would not be allowed to see this movie. Will a mod please close these stupid threads?! This is the Hype not the Planet.

Ohh ouch the flames :ghost:

Sarcasm
06-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Oddly enough though, 225 does not look overly massive, not at that height any way, about what the Rock was in Walking tall, and I do not think that is too massive because the complaint most of the people I know, average folks who are not superman fans, and do not post here, is that Routh does not look masculen enough in face or body.

Besides, Superman IS officially 225 pounds.

6'3" and 225lbs at 5-6% bodyfat isn't massive.....at all, but for most it would be (put those same stats on a 5'8" frame and that's something different). The Rock in Walking Tall wasn't more than 235lbs.....at about 12-13% bodyfat and 6'5".....not huge at all; most consider that huge.....I don't, but whatever. I think Routh will be easily as iconic as Reeve who many consider to be the only true "Superman"...whatever taht means. Reeve and Routh were about the same build......the Superman suit made em look larger than life when they really weren't. Regardless, this is an exhausted topic; still, I wonder why no one questions Reeve's build?

y2jversion1
06-05-2006, 01:02 PM
6'4, 225lbs right here:

http://img173.imageshack.us/img173/2945/djbhills023sw.jpg

SuperMike335!!
06-05-2006, 01:04 PM
6'3" and 225lbs at 5-6% bodyfat isn't massive.....at all, but for most it would be (put those same stats on a 5'8" frame and that's something different). The Rock in Walking Tall wasn't more than 235lbs.....at about 12-13% bodyfat and 6'5".....not huge at all; most consider that huge.....I don't, but whatever. I think Routh will be easily as iconic as Reeve who many consider to be the only true "Superman"...whatever taht means. Reeve and Routh were about the same build......the Superman suit made em look larger than life when they really weren't. Regardless, this is an exhausted topic; still, I wonder why no one questions Reeve's build?

I actually did mention that although I think reeves was great he could have been about 20 pounds heaiver for the role.

grabmygladys
06-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Haha this guy just lost all credibility in my eyes.

grabmygladys
06-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Go attempt to benchpress a car for me Mike.

Sarcasm
06-05-2006, 01:09 PM
I actually did mention that although I think reeves was great he could have been about 20 pounds heaiver for the role.

Don't worry bro, I agree with you completely!! Although, the majority of the population doens't think bigger is better (it isn't always, but you know what I mean). Just the way it is.....if girls dig Routh the movie will be a monster hit.....he's got the right type of swimmer's build to appeal to the mass of girls that really make products something "desirable".

NotFadeAway
06-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Im 5'9 180 lbs of lean muscle and Im simply ripped, not bulky. But th8en again, I run 5 miles a day and do high rep workouts.

Superman79
06-05-2006, 01:26 PM
Ya know, I think you could get him interested in the role, to atleast look at the script, but it would have to be a damn good, character driven villian to make him do so. I will go out on a limb and say he would NOT have taken the Luthor role that Kevin Spacey is playing.

As coporate, conniving, jealous of Superman Lex, Phoenix would rule the screen. Just watch him in Gladiator, how much his character hates Maximus because he is beloved by his father and the citizens of Rome, that is perfect for Superman/Lex. Ive thought JP would be a great Luthor sense the day I saw Gladiator.

So maybe go with a Lex Luthor: MOS approach? Or perhaps as manipulative and two-faced as the President Lex story line? Those'd be my bets :up:

Whack Arnolds
06-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Hey, what happened to the Rock and WWF? He is never there, anymore.

y2jversion1
06-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Hey, what happened to the Rock and WWF? He is never there, anymore.

He's just doing movies now.

Superman79
06-05-2006, 01:34 PM

Hey now. It is a free country (and Thank you to SuperMike for fighting to keep it so :up: ) People are entitled to their opinions, good and bad. Yes we know ROuth is Supes and this could be a fantastic movie. Still if people have something they'd like to talk about reservations/whatever, then they should be allowed.

Just because he comments on Routh's size does not make him less of a Superman fan than you are. Not be allowed to see this movie?? Geez man, take a deep breath. Opinions are like a$$-holes everyone's got one. Let the man say his peace, if you don't like it, then say so and leave the thread alone. But seriously, you gotta chill out a bit buddy.

Whack Arnolds
06-05-2006, 01:35 PM
He's just doing movies now.Oh, gotcha. :o Thanks..

NotFadeAway
06-05-2006, 01:36 PM
So maybe go with a Lex Luthor: MOS approach? Or perhaps as manipulative and two-faced as the President Lex story line? Those'd be my bets :up:

EXACTLY. Phoenix would be perfect those versions of the Lex Luthor character, there is no one better.

Actually, in my novel, which I wrote with Phoenix in mind for Lex, I take the MOS approach and the Presidency storyline, with Lex funding terrorism to make the President look weak, only so he can turn around, win Presidency, and wipe out all of the enemies of the United States and become the most powerful man on the planet. And this coincides with the debut of a certain super powered boyscout who is determined to hope to a world that's lost it's way.

As I said in another thread, my take on Superman will debut in novel format in the communtiy board after Returns comes out. Very real world, very character driven, but I also throw John Corben/Metallo in there as Luthors " Ultimate Weapon ".

Superman79
06-05-2006, 01:39 PM
He's just doing movies now.

Yeah, now hopefully one day someone will get him a REAL script (not like the crap he's been in) preferrably a comedy...so he can show off what he's capable of...I think he has great action star AND acting potential

Superman79
06-05-2006, 01:42 PM
EXACTLY. Phoenix would be perfect those versions of the Lex Luthor character, there is no one better.

Actually, in my novel, which I wrote with Phoenix in mind for Lex, I take the MOS approach and the Presidency storyline, with Lex funding terrorism to make the President look weak, only so he can turn around, win Presidency, and wipe out all of the enemies of the United States and become the most powerful man on the planet. And this coincides with the debut of a certain super powered boyscout who is determined to hope to a world that's lost it's way.

As I said in another thread, my take on Superman will debut in novel format in the communtiy board after Returns comes out. Very real world, very character driven, but I also throw John Corben/Metallo in there as Luthors " Ultimate Weapon ".

Dude...post that EVERYWHERE...I'm psyched to read it...sounds like it'll be great.

You wouldn't mind PMing me when you release it would ya?? I really am interested in how it turns out :up:

Whack Arnolds
06-05-2006, 01:45 PM
All I know is, someone the Rock's size is too big. You want Clark to be able to at least blend in. His size a Supes is just fine. It's not the size of Clark in mass that helps him lift stuff, it's the readiation from the yellow sun.

halfapple
06-05-2006, 01:51 PM
I think Routh has just the right build for Superman!

Maybe in the next movie he will put just alittle more wieght on his "Upper Body".

He has been away too 2.5 years to get to Krypton, 2.5 years to get back.

His body was under quite some stress to being without his power, and 5 years away from the Sun.

Plus exposed heavily to the Kryptonite poisoning after being there, and not having our Sun to help Him rejuvinate himself while he was on that 2.5 year journey back to earth.

So yeah He is going to be abit on the lean side atm (swimmers type of body).

But He has returned and after lifting a few more planes, trains, automobiles, buildings and stuff He might put the wieght back on overtime /shrug.

Routh is the perfect Superman, and a quality one indeed!

newmexneon
06-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Just for comparison and to prove you don't have to look like a steroid freak to be have the kind of size Brandon has her is a pic of UFC fighter Andrei Arlovski
he is 6'3" and wieghs about 240.

http://news.adcombat.com/images/articles/3175/arlovski.jpg

Superman79
06-05-2006, 01:55 PM
All I know is, someone the Rock's size is too big. You want Clark to be able to at least blend in. His size a Supes is just fine. It's not the size of Clark in mass that helps him lift stuff, it's the readiation from the yellow sun.

I dunno. I think with the right cut of suits or wearing sweaters (as was discussed in the Birthright Comics) someone the Rock's size (or close to) could blend in quite well. Of course, it's all hypothetical

ROBOCOP CPU001
06-05-2006, 01:56 PM
And we should care why?

another bloody to small thread.

:(

Superman79
06-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Just for comparison and to prove you don't have to look like a steroid freak to be have the kind of size Brandon has her is a pic of UFC fighter Andrei Arlovski
he is 6'3" and wieghs about 240.

http://news.adcombat.com/images/articles/3175/arlovski.jpg

definately has a bigger chest than Routh...but otherwise, fairly comprable. It's tough to have REALLY thick arms when you're tall and have longer arms...

ROBOCOP CPU001
06-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Oh for god sake..has it come back to this?

y2jversion1
06-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Here come the thought-cops...

Superman79
06-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Oh for god sake..has it come back to this?

It's just bordom that lead to this...you get bored and you discuss the same ole crap just to have something to talk about :(

ROBOCOP CPU001
06-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Robocop to you son.

This topic has been exhausted a million times over. tuff **** that Routh isn't big enough for you.. live with it.. because that is what we have.

grabmygladys
06-05-2006, 02:01 PM
It is another big steaming pile of Routh dissage.

y2jversion1
06-05-2006, 02:01 PM
If people want to continue discussing what could've been, then you should deal with it too, instead of being a thought-nazi/wannabe-mod.

I mean jeez..some folks here get as emotional/touchy on any sort of criticism like a chick during her period.

Secret_Riddle
06-05-2006, 02:03 PM
i like routh as superman..i mean he doesnt look older then chris reeves but i still think he has the right look. friendly...but can be serious wen he needs to be

ROBOCOP CPU001
06-05-2006, 02:04 PM
If people want to continue discussing what could've been, then you should deal with it too, instead of being a thought-nazi/wannabe-mod.

i wasn't telling you do anything..whos not really thinking? me or you.

i didn't say close the thread..and if i was pretending to mod..i would have... Its tedious that people still are upset this is what we are getting. you may want to apologise for your remark in the later passage.

y2jversion1
06-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Apologize for?

You come off in this thread telling people to "deal with it" - that sure sounds like you're telling people to DO something, i.e. deal with it, instead of discussing the topic of the initial post.

Sure some people are upset as to what we're getting, but there are some posters here are satisfied - however are discussing what could've been and/or what could be in the future.

Hope the saddle isn't too far off the ground.

Kryptonite
06-05-2006, 02:20 PM
So what Singer should have done was found a guy of that build with a face that resembled the current comic superman, and who can act, and I am sure that lots of guys can fit that bill.

Easier said than done. Most of those guys can't act period. Within that group, Vin Diesel and The Rock are like Orson Welles and Marlon Brando respectively. I'd much rather have a smaller guy who looks like Superman and can act, than having a muscle bound moron like the World Finest guy.

Also the portrayal of Clark in modern day comics is much more head strong and less nerdy than it was during the Reeve era. More like the Bruce Tim animated Superman cartoon than the previous Superman movies.

Singer has a hard-on for Donner's work. So it's not surprising that this movie will look and feel like Superman: The Movie and not the more realistic and fan-loved works of Bruce Timm

ROBOCOP CPU001
06-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Apologize for?

You come off in this thread telling people to "deal with it" - that sure sounds like you're telling people to DO something, i.e. deal with it, instead of discussing the topic of the initial post.

Sure some people are upset as to what we're getting, but there are some posters here are satisfied - however are discussing what could've been and/or what could be in the future.

Hope the saddle isn't too far off the ground.

what could be for the future??

your in the wrong forum buddy :)

I was making my standing on it..my opinion deal with it.. don't like it? tuff **** also.

y2jversion1
06-05-2006, 02:27 PM
I guess you conveniently didn't read the whole sentence:

"...discussing what could've been and/or what could be in the future."

Anyways, I'm done with you..I don't take kindly to hypocrites anyways.

Have a good day.

Majestic
06-05-2006, 02:29 PM
That first post is a little ridiculous, because if you lift at all like you say then you would obviously know that everyone carries there weight different. For every example you site one way a person can site an example another way. So to say you are the expert is lame and revisiting a dumb argument rehashed over and over. Also for starters it is hard to quantify through pictures how much weight a person is carrying on there legs which can account for a lot of weight. David Carr is probably the closest build to Routh in my opinion, Carr is 6'3 220.

http://www.geocities.com/carrpage2/carr287b.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/carrpage/carr90b.jpg

http:///www.geocities.com/carrpage2/carr313b.jpg

ChrisBaleBatman
06-05-2006, 02:36 PM
Isn't Routh 6'4?

Whack Arnolds
06-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Yeah, he is 6'4.

Superman79
06-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Isn't Routh 6'4?

In heels :D

I always thought the official line was 6'2.7" or somehting similar and they just say 6'3"...but who knows

ROBOCOP CPU001
06-05-2006, 02:41 PM
I guess you conveniently didn't read the whole sentence:

"...discussing what could've been and/or what could be in the future."

Anyways, I'm done with you..I don't take kindly to hypocrites anyways.

Have a good day.

then you must know me.. hmm who are you really?

:)

ChrisBaleBatman
06-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Well, officially people said he was 6'4.........then otu of nowehre the rumor that he was 6'0 began. From what I've seen the guy's gotta be 6'3 or taller.

DorkyFresh
06-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Bale is 6 feet at the shortest and Routh towers over him.....Routh is at least 6'3.

NotFadeAway
06-05-2006, 02:44 PM
It's simple, however tall Christian Bale stands, Routh is atleast 2 inches, if not more, taller than him.

ROBOCOP CPU001
06-05-2006, 02:46 PM
I think we can safely say the latest pictures prooves he is one tall SOB.

at least 6.3.

Armoured-Fury
06-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Well i'm 6 ft 2 and a half (so my doc says) and i have a pretty nice figure... I went an entire year of people asking me how old they would be before they got to my size but i could never answer honestly lol.

Superman79
06-05-2006, 02:51 PM
I think we can safely say the latest pictures prooves he is one tall SOB.

at least 6.3.

OK, and pardon this, but is 6'3" REALLY that tall? Everybody makes it sound huge. I'm 6'3" and I really don't think of myself as that tall. My dad is 6' and my two younger bro's are 6'1" and 6'5" respectively. I always thought 6'3" was kind of average. At least in the midwest.

ROBOCOP CPU001
06-05-2006, 02:52 PM
OK, and pardon this, but is 6'3" REALLY that tall? Everybody makes it sound huge. I'm 6'3" and I really don't think of myself as that tall. My dad is 6' and my two younger bro's are 6'1" and 6'5" respectively. I always thought 6'3" was kind of average. At least in the midwest.

really? it isn't considerd average.. 5.11 is considerd average in england.

not sure about the states..

The Kid
06-05-2006, 02:54 PM

I mean jeez..some folks here get as emotional/touchy on any sort of criticism like a chick during her period.

to some it may seem as if superman were a religion. to me, it is.:supes: :ghost:

Whack Arnolds
06-05-2006, 02:55 PM
I've met Bale, face to face chatted with him. I'm 5'11 / 6'0 (Spacey's official height), and Bale was about a good forehead taller than me. Bale is 6'1, at the shortest. He was wearing Adidas sneakers, so its not like he had a huge boost. Routh is definetely 6'3" - 6'4".

Whack Arnolds
06-05-2006, 02:55 PM

not sure about the states..Pretty much the same. Over 5'11 is above average in height. :up:

ROBOCOP CPU001
06-05-2006, 02:56 PM
then that settles it.. he is way above average height.

:)

Armoured-Fury
06-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Yeh well i live in England and i'm almost 6 ft 3 so i'd say 5 '11 is avergage here lol

The Game
06-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Yeh well i live in England and i'm almost 6 ft 3 so i'd say 5 '11 is avergage here lol

I live in England too, but I think 5'9 - 5 '10 is what the average height for a male is listed at.

Armoured-Fury
06-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Oh right so i guess i'm tall then lol

The Game
06-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Oh right so i guess i'm tall then lol

Lol, yep

The Game
06-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Man but this thread has been done a million and one times now, Routh is Superman he may not be my ideal, and he is in no way ''huge'' or ''ripped'' but thats Singer's fault and not Routh's and thats just the way it is.

Armoured-Fury
06-05-2006, 03:07 PM
I don't mind being tall to be honest... I used to get names shouted at me but now the only people who shout names at me do it from the comfort of their own homes through a window behind a 1 ft thick wooden door... Lame asses...

Once two guys walked by me the size of rugby players and said somethin nasty to me so i said "get bent u stupid pr*icks*" and they didn't even do anythin they just shut their mouths lol

The Game
06-05-2006, 03:12 PM
I don't mind being tall to be honest... I used to get names shouted at me but now the only people who shout names at me do it from the comfort of their own homes through a window behind a 1 ft thick wooden door... Lame asses...

Once two guys walked by me the size of rugby players and said somethin nasty to me so i said "get bent u stupid pr*icks*" and they didn't even do anythin they just shut their mouths lol

LOL

Well i'm 6' so for you being 6'3 is not a great departure from my height, now imagine being as tall as Peter Crouch, LOL.

Armoured-Fury
06-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Yeh i know there aint much difference but i would hate to be TOO tall lol.. I'm fine with my height

nosebleed.
06-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Routh's height is just fine and so is build. I think one of the key things is that Routh does not have a tree trunk neck like Reeve did. Before Reeve started working out for the role his neck was huge...its just his body structure. Even if Routh got as big as Bale for this movie his neck would still be small compared to Reeve. I'd photoshop it to show you guys but I'm not really that concerned anymore with his appearance...I just wanna see a kickass Supes movie. I feel bad for the people with too many issues with the movie to truly enjoy what they are getting. What a waste of time for them I guess.

DvilDog
06-05-2006, 06:46 PM
really funny how my join date is 2 years before yours.

It may be a long post, but I may not post often.

BTW, I did not have much time to post when I first joined, I was in Bagdad.

Bro welcome. I have done 2 stints in Iraq myself. Both at Al Asad. I dont agree with you but just thought i would welcome another service member. Of course being a Marine is slightly different than being in the Army. But nice post nonetheless. I am sorry you dont like Routh or the suit. Hope it doesnt ruin your movie experience.

DvilDog
06-05-2006, 06:54 PM

The average height of an american male is anywhere from 5'5 to 5'9

Ricky_Tan
06-05-2006, 06:59 PM
agreed, there is a reason singer and co. have not released a shirtless routh pic, he is not that big.

Superman79
06-05-2006, 08:18 PM
The average height of an american male is anywhere from 5'5 to 5'9

REALLY?!?! Wow...I never really thought of myself as tall. I guess i just never had to look up at me :D

SuperMike335!!
06-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Wow, now we got fans fighting back and forth.

Ok, my first post was just my opinion, where I stand so to speak.

I never said Routh was too short to be superman. 6'2"-6'4" is good enough height.

I just felt that he looks to boyish for the role. Christopher Reeve had a much more masculen face, at least thats what I thought of him.

Any how, I do understand that a movie is still just a movie, and NOT the final word on what is superman.

Superman cannon, the official word, will always be DC comics.

The way I envision a version of that character, they way I imagine him to look would look different than what Routh look like.

But Routh is what we get for the movie, some love em, so do not. I can keep in mind that a movie is an artistic interpertation of the character.

Lightning54SC
06-05-2006, 10:13 PM
im 6'3 almost 200lb and im lean im sure 20 lb of muscle can be done just fine and btw routh is nowwhee near 225

DeFett
06-05-2006, 10:58 PM
I'm Superman, 6'3" and 207 :)

Scooter
06-05-2006, 11:03 PM
I'm 8 1/2 feet tall, weigh 759 pounds, and have 5% bodyfat.

Pickle-El
06-05-2006, 11:22 PM

You're Giant Gonzales? :eek: Dude, you tower over The Undertaker!

http://wrestlebizz.wrestling-total.com/images/gonzales.jpg

http://www.wrestlingzone.ru/images/ggiant3.jpg

Showtime
06-05-2006, 11:27 PM

http://www.usedwigs.com/graphics/wonka.jpg
You're Weird....

Nightwing1977
06-06-2006, 12:27 AM
You're Giant Gonzales? :eek: Dude, you tower over The Undertaker!

Actually, he's the Great Khali. ;)

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/d/dalipsingh/08.jpg

Scooter
06-06-2006, 01:18 AM
You're Weird....
I'll weird you...! :mad:

ROBOCOP CPU001
06-06-2006, 01:24 AM
I'll weird you...! :mad:

how does one exactly weird someone?

:o

Scooter
06-06-2006, 01:25 AM
how does one exactly weird someone?

:o
http://www.johnberman.com/pics/funny/hasselhoff_puppies_2.jpg

ROBOCOP CPU001
06-06-2006, 01:27 AM
Well thats answerd my question..

dude you are sick.

:D

rock_on
06-06-2006, 01:42 AM
anyone too muscular would just look odd... a bit off. A guy with too much muscle would look massive in the suit... but not in a good way. There would be no way to see the definition.... it's like the Rock and John Goodman would look the same in the suit.... well, not really. Routh has won me over.... from his voice, to him just standing tall to his spot-on awesome portrayal of clark... and of course Superman. Superman to means so much more than muscle.

I just want to say that I am so psyched for SR.... I remember last May searching for SR info and stumbling onto the hype... I've been reading the forums for a year now, following each and every SR story... and it's hard to believe that SR is almost here!

- 'Nuff said.

ocriggins
06-06-2006, 02:41 AM
Does any one know what 6'3" and 225 pounds lean actually looks like?
Well, New York Yankee Alex Rodriguez is listed at 6'3" 225. My guess is that he is pretty lean considering he is one of the most gifted athletes on the planet, but in no way does he have a muscle bound build.

http://femmefan.com/site/images/lookerspics/lookers4/Alex_Rodriguez.jpg

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.getty-57208759ab022_boston_red_so.jpg

Agentdemon
06-06-2006, 03:09 AM
Looks like he has more mass than Routh did during filming. The problem is Routh's somewhat hourglass shape which makes him look less bulky.

buggs0268
06-06-2006, 04:08 AM
Hi all,

Not new to the boards, but have been lurking for a very long time. I read posts a lot, and I am of the group that does NOT like the way Routh looks as superman, or the costume changes.

At age 25, I am a life long superman fan, and comic collector as well, and this is far and away my favorite comic book character, so admittedly I am hard to please.

I am also an Iraq war vet with about 5 years in the army, and I have been an avid natural bodybuilder for a long time too, and have a good grasp on what bodyweights at certain bodyfat% look like, for given heights.

There seems to be a lot of argument on what build a superman actor should have. Some people here consider any muscular body a “muscle bound” freak, and think that 225 at 6’3” is skinny (not true at all). Others seem to favor a more Arnold Schwarzenegger type build for superman.

So what is “muscle bound?” The definition of muscle bound, is when a skeletal structure has so much muscle that is has lost a degree of movement to the point where it can no longer be athletic.

Let my say first off that only the most massive of bodybuilders are truly muscle bound. Guys like Ronnie Coleman 5’11” 300 pounds current Mr.Olympia, Jay Cutler 5’9” 300 pounds, Gunter Schlierkamp 6’2” 320+ pounds, Markus Ruhl 5’10” 300+pounds, are big time muscle-bound.

Lou Ferrigno, when he was on TV as the Hulk, although muscular, was only mildly muscle bound, and had the ability to still be athletic, so was Arnold S. Back in this time bodybuilders where not nearly as massive as they are to day.

For the most part, only bodybuilders, and some powerlifters, tend to be muscle-bound.

So by now you may be thinking that I would prefer a bodybuilder, like Mike O’hearn, to play superman? Absolutely NOT.

Remember Boagrius from the movie Troy (the giant guy Pitt kills in the beginning scene)? That was 6’11.5” 360+ pound bodybuilder, and WSM competitor Nathan Jones. That kind of build is WAY too massive for a role like superman, but would not be bad for a Juggernaut doomsday type character.

I think that bodybuilders tend to look way too muscular and especially the steroid using ones would just look cartoonish as Superman, on top of that they tend to be under 6 foot (not always the case, but many of them are), and even the taller ones these days still tend to be too built for the role of superman.

One thing we do agree on is that superman is ripped. He may not be a bodybuilder, but he can be very lean. No one wants a fat superman.

Then there is the “logical” argument that superman should be skinny because he could not lift weights to increase his muscular size. Nothing in the known galaxy would give him that type of resistance training. Not unless he was working out with planets, right?

WRONG, that is applying human physiology to him too much. If that were the case by the same logic superman would look sickly atrophied as everyday life would not give him the resistance his muscles need to maintain themselves!

Clark is an ALIEN, he can simply have whatever build that a Kryptonian has when under a yellow sun. No need to put logic to it, a strong lean muscular build (but NOT super-heavyweight bodybuilder), at a height of 6’3”. He can look like a guy who lifts weights even though he does not actually have to in order to maintain his body.

Then there is the Clark Kent argument, seriously, you think if a guy looked well built in a suit, that people would just assume he is a superhero? Absurd, it is well known that millions of men in the US. Lift weight to stay in shape, be muscular and healthy, and any one who knows him would just think “well he was a big farm kid, and he must work out”.

Also the real reason no one find his secret identity is that no one is looking for it! He does not wear a mask, so most people in the DC universe might just assume he does not have an identity he is trying to protect.

Now, officially, according to DC comics superman is 6’3” and 225 pounds. Sometimes it is printed as 235, like in the DC encyclopedia, but I will go with the 225 just to be conservative.

I happen to know what a lean 225 at 6’3” should look like. I know that some magazines have printed that Routh is 220 (even one typo that he was 250) yeah right!

Bull*****, Routh is not even 210, unless his bodyfat is >15%, and that IMHO is not lean enough to be superman if that is the case.

Some people may be thinking; “I have a friend who is 220 at 6’2”, and he does not look very muscular at all, to be muscular you got to be like 250”, well if that is the case your friend has a lot of bodyfat making up his weight%, or he is padding his weight to sound bigger.

I know several guys in my company who do work out, lift weights and who are lean by army standards, and weigh between 220-230, and are 6’2”-6’4”, and they all look way bigger than Routh does.

There are several guys who are the same weight as the guys who work out a lot, but who do not work out as much, and the difference is huge. The guys who work out minimally still are in half ways decent shape, and although they are not as lean as the better shape guys, even though they weigh similar, the visual difference in muscular size is huge. It all has to do with the bodyfat %. 6% fat vs. 18% at the same weight the 6% will look far more muscled.

6’3” at around 225 pounds, ripped, is actually more like an in-between Vin Diesel, and the Rock build. Vin only weighs about 210, and the Rock in the Run Down, and Walking tall weighed about 245 pounds at 6’5”.

That is just the way it is. Physically, IMHO Routh does just not look like a "superman", at all.

Reeve I think could have been about 15-20 pounds more muscular for his superman portrayal; and that still would not have been bodybuilder or muscle-bound proportions, or even closely resemble a Schwarzenegger look at all.

His face also does not look right, he looks too young. His face lacks the masculine qualities that Christopher Reeves had. Sure he may resemble Reeves, when Chris was 16 years old, but Routh does not look like superman to me. Not at all.

I think that the costume has also been changed too much. All the small changes add up to being a big change, and the hair cut on him is too long. Superman does not have a buzz cut, and sure his hair should be long enough to be wavy as Superman, but still look like a conservative business haircut on Clark.

Get ready to be jumped on and called every name in the book. I argued the same thing and got called every name in the book about the muscle suit underneath. And low and behold, a muscle suit.

Hades
06-06-2006, 04:24 AM
Jay cutler for Superman!

http://malemuscle.8m.net/images/p/04/0529/DSCN0018.jpg

Nivek
06-06-2006, 06:10 AM
Get ready to be jumped on and called every name in the book. I argued the same thing and got called every name in the book about the muscle suit underneath. And low and behold, a muscle suit.

Im sorry but this is a pretty standard genral opinion, concidering the character get's his strength from sources not tied into mis muscle mass, I see no reason the character should look like those 'roided up gorillas. And has been pointed out, most of these guys cant act and look freakish when trying to pass for a normal guy. This is Superman we are talking about, not the Hulk. Sandy Collera, in finding a guy who looks like the comic book Superman scale wise, also showed how the same actor looks way too freakish as Clark Kent. There was even a great bit of the rock on SNL years ago that made a joke out of this entire discussion.

Superfreak
06-06-2006, 06:58 AM
Im sorry but this is a pretty standard genral opinion, concidering the character get's his strength from sources not tied into mis muscle mass, I see no reason the character should look like those 'roided up gorillas. And has been pointed out, most of these guys cant act and look freakish when trying to pass for a normal guy. This is Superman we are talking about, not the Hulk. Sandy Collera, in finding a guy who looks like the comic book Superman scale wise, also showed how the same actor looks way too freakish as Clark Kent. There was even a great bit of the rock on SNL years ago that made a joke out of this entire discussion.

SUPERMAN'S STRENGTH IS TIED TO HIS MUSCLE MASS, why wouldn't it be. The only difference is that instead of eating to get energy, he is powered by the Sun. His muscles are still doing the work. Come on people, who is making things up. His superstrength is not a result of some magical aura which makes him strong. He is strong biologically, not because of some magical energy field that makes him strong (that's invulnerability and flight, it has nothing to do with his strength).

For all intents and purposes, Superman is human. But his dense molecular structure, and his ability to absorb sunlight, allow him to be super strong. This isn't some magical power, his body is just more effecient than ours. His muscles are essentially human, the only difference is that where his muscle is getting its energy from, and the 'capacity' of his muscles is much greater than the lowly human.

Now, this doesn't mean he should be a roid monkey (at first). Superman's size and power should increase over time, as his feats become bigger and better. Ie. at the beginning, he's lifting cars, he should be about average human size. But as his powers grow, and he begins picking up bridges and buildings, he should begin to grow a little bigger.

Superman works out too

JamalYIgle
06-06-2006, 08:37 AM
SUPERMAN'S STRENGTH IS TIED TO HIS MUSCLE MASS, why wouldn't it be. The only difference is that instead of eating to get energy, he is powered by the Sun. His muscles are still doing the work. Come on people, who is making things up. His superstrength is not a result of some magical aura which makes him strong. He is strong biologically, not because of some magical energy field that makes him strong (that's invulnerability and flight, it has nothing to do with his strength).

For all intents and purposes, Superman is human. But his dense molecular structure, and his ability to absorb sunlight, allow him to be super strong. This isn't some magical power, his body is just more effecient than ours. His muscles are essentially human, the only difference is that where his muscle is getting its energy from, and the 'capacity' of his muscles is much greater than the lowly human.

Now, this doesn't mean he should be a roid monkey (at first). Superman's size and power should increase over time, as his feats become bigger and better. Ie. at the beginning, he's lifting cars, he should be about average human size. But as his powers grow, and he begins picking up bridges and buildings, he should begin to grow a little bigger.

Superman works out too
Actually no. Superman's strength is indeed tied directly to the amount of solar radiation he absorbs. The more sunlight he absorbs the more powerful he becomes. He is not directly affected by strain and it would take an incredible amount of effort for him to become more muscular since muscle is built by actually tearing muscle tissue and allowing it to heal.
if you remove sunlight from him, he becomes no stronger than a normal human being.
The only reason he is drawn as large as he is, frankly,is an individual artist rendition.

resentment
06-06-2006, 08:38 AM

Superman works out too

I'm sorry, but you're a little off there. Read the official "The Science of Superman" and the all new Superman series All-Star (yes it's elseworld's, but just because the "story" is not on key with continuity.) His muscles sure are tough and strong, but the fact of the matter is, how in the hell would Superman lift a submarine out of the water with the surface area of 10 inches of steel that his hands are pushing up against push the rest of the ship upwards? It can't, that's impossible. Same goes with an airplane. If they were to raise an airplane on jacks so to say, would they use a jack the width of a man's hand to lift it straight up? No, because that would just tear right through the outer metal and punch a hole into the plane. The point I'm getting at is this, it has been printed he uses an aura, because half the stuff he does with superstrength would be impossible one way or another, even if he was strong enough to lift whatever it is. On a side note, it's also official that he MUST be able to lift that amount of weight on his own, with his own strength, but once he does, it becomes weightless due to his "anti-graviton" aura that bursts outwards like a radio wave, so the larger the object, the heavier it is for him, due to radio frequencies weakening with distance. Hell, I seem to remember reading a comic once where me remarked to whatever he was lifting, seemed to instantly feel weightless because of this ability.

edit: In response to the above poster, what most writers and fans forget about Superman when he loses his powers is this: Krypton originally had the gravitational force 10 times that of Earth. So if Superman were to somehow not have solar energy given to him, he would be naturally 10 times stronger and durable than the average man on Earth. He should still be able to see different light spectrums and hear greater than the average human, due to the harshly dense atmosphere Krypton had. His hearing would naturally be better because sound waves would not travel as easily through such muck in the air on Krypton, and his sight would still be augmented incredibly without his "powers" on this planet due to the much thinner air and different light source (yellow sun rather than a red sun). His skin would also be tough as a brick, and he should be naturally resistant to other mediocre forms of radiation that would harm or even kill a normal human. The only reason I'm saying this is because this is from 'The Science of Superman" which I highly recommend to anyone who has not read it yet.

JamalYIgle
06-06-2006, 08:41 AM
well, I've seen the actual suit. The Muscle suit is thin and nessesary because miliskin is really sheer, and not much thicker than nylon and not very opaque. Without the muscle suit around the ribcage and chest, you can see right through the suit.Also, no padding on the shoulders and arms as well, contrary to your opinion.

supzfan
06-06-2006, 08:41 AM
As I understand it Krptonians have reached some level of physical perfection. Now when we consider the physical ideal, I assume we imagine someone along the lines of classical Greek and Roman sculpture as emulated by bodybuilders and physical culturists throughout history. Superman's appearence should, by definition, suggest POWER and STRENGTH and that measns MUSCLES!. Not necessarily the steroid-induced kind but the kind that can only come from deliberate weightlifting or some kind of strenuous exercise. I think it a bit hypocrtical to give Routh's skinny and ill-propotioned physique a pass when at the same time we see The Man Of Steel being portrayed in the comics as a muscular man. If muscles didn't matter we could put Pee Wee Herman in a padded suit and call him "Superman". Of course they matter. Look at Bale and Jackman.

supzfan
06-06-2006, 08:45 AM
BTW, here are some stats on some muscular men from the past. Steve Reeves stood 6ft 1in and weighed in at around 215 lbs. He had arms over 18 inches and a 29 inches waist. Football great Jim Brown was 6ft.3in and weighed 230 lbs. Watch "The Dirty Dozen" and take a look at Clint Walker who stood 6ft.6in and weigh close to 250. Another thing to remember is that the camera automatically ADDS 10 lbs. to one's appearance.

Majestic
06-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Like I have said before for every example are examples the other way. Everyone is built differently and carries weight differently and anyone that actually works out consistently knows this. So people who compare Routh to to Steve Reeves or who ever they may are lame. For straters he is two inches shorter and a "PROFESSIONAL" body builder. Routh is not, plus he carries a lot of weight in the legs which is easy to tell. Also have has anuone ever met him in person? NO! From the pics at the MTV music awards you can see hhow much bigger he is than Bale and that is after losing some weight. People need to stop being such armchair quarterbacks and hope for a great movie!

http://www.brandonrouth.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=126&pos=11

That first post is a little ridiculous, because if you lift at all like you say then you would obviously know that everyone carries there weight different. For every example you site one way a person can site an example another way. So to say you are the expert is lame and revisiting a dumb argument rehashed over and over. Also for starters it is hard to quantify through pictures how much weight a person is carrying on there legs which can account for a lot of weight. David Carr is probably the closest build to Routh in my opinion, Carr is 6'3 220.

http://www.geocities.com/carrpage2/carr287b.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/carrpage/carr90b.jpg

http:///www.geocities.com/carrpage2/carr313b.jpg

SuperMike335!!
06-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Just wanted to point out that I would not have wanted superman to be cast as a bodybuilder.

I completely understand that those guys have far and away more muscle than one ever needs to look masculen.

They also have such an unusual apearance that makes them look like they are a different species.

What I would have prefered is for an unkown actor to be cast, that can act, who has about the build of the Rock. Dwayne Johnson (the Rock) is 6'4" and 225, and ripped, would be a perfect build for superman, and would not overly sant out in a suit. Would just be big enough for people at the planet to say "well he grew up on a farm, and he must work out these days". Not unusual. Millions of guys work out and are not bodybuilders, no one thinks twice these days when they see a muscular person, and no one ever figures them for a superhero.

Not that I would want the Rock himself to be superman either, he is too well known, and superman is not somoan. But there must be some one out there who has that build, who does look like superman in the face, and who can act.

To me Superman has also been a strong masculen role, and I just dont get that feeling looking at Routh. I did with Reeves, but not Routh.

It is not just the body, also the face. I see the difference between Routh and Chris, and Brandon just has softer looking features. He aalso has a thin looking neck.

One thing I think they both have in common is they need a hair cut.

Just my opinion, I know some people love that thin look for superman.

Some folks are just stuck to the idea that superman cant have big muscles because there is nothing for him to lift weights with.

By the same logic, how can characters like the Hulk, and Doomsday have such large muscles? I mean they are so strong they should be skinny too, right?

Superman is an ALIEN, so he can have whatever build that a Kryptonian has under a yellow sun. He CAN have big muscles without lifting weights, at least big enough to be 225 lean pounds.

DorkyFresh
06-06-2006, 09:34 AM
What I would have prefered is for an unkown actor to be cast, that can act, who has about the build of the Rock. Dwayne Johnson (the Rock) is 6'4" and 225, and ripped, would be a perfect build for superman, and would not overly sant out in a suit. Would just be big enough for people at the planet to say "well he grew up on a farm, and he must work out these days". Not unusual.

no offense but...

http://images.hollywood.com/images/large/l_1726931.jpg
http://eur.yimg.com/i/xp/premier_photo/e/e904d02be8.jpghttp://eur.yimg.com/i/xp/premier_photo/6/6771002fbb.jpg

...he DOES stand out in a suit, hehe. the Rock's a big dude, i would NEVER want Superman (in a movie) to look that big. that's pushing Collora's World's Finest.

Superman79
06-06-2006, 09:35 AM
no offense but...

...he DOES stand out in a suit, hehe.

Looks normal enough to me... :O

He does have a bit of a large head though

DorkyFresh
06-06-2006, 09:45 AM

this is normal...

http://www.**************.com/images/news/batman-begins/batman040504.jpg
edit: http://superbat81.free.fr/site/bale1.jpg

this is bigger than normal...

Superman79
06-06-2006, 09:50 AM
this is normal...

http://www.filmrot.com/images/baleonset.jpg

this is bigger than normal...

Sorry...all I'm getting for pic #1 is a red X...

y2jversion1
06-06-2006, 09:55 AM
Sorry...all I'm getting for pic #1 is a red X...

The red X is Bale

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/8180/baleonset9ur.jpg

DorkyFresh
06-06-2006, 09:58 AM
yeah....that's normal. the Rock in a suit isn't...hehe. i edited my post btw.

Superman79
06-06-2006, 09:59 AM
The red X is Bale

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/8180/baleonset9ur.jpg

Ahh... I see now.

Really if bale had his coat open and teh Rock had his top button done they would really look about the same. Yeah the Rock has wider shoulders and a little thicker neck, but really he looks nabout like I do in a suit and I'm normal. (6'3" about 200-205)

If you get a properly tailored suit, anyone wuold look "normal"...at least that's my contention.

Mr. Socko
06-06-2006, 10:19 AM
It doesn't matter I guess since Routh will be wearing a bodysuit. But I agree he's not Superman type size. 6'3 and 225 lbs would be perfect.

Bale was like 220 in Begins and Routh looks alot skinnier then him. Singer was just bent on having an unknown play the role that he liked and didn't care how he looked.

Superman79
06-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Routh will do just fine I'm sure...regardless of the tweaks we'd have made.

Mr. Socko
06-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I'm not worried about his muscles.

DorkyFresh
06-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Bale was like 220 in Begins and Routh looks alot skinnier then him.
uh...not a LOT. maybe just a BIT...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/Geijutsuka/SHH%20stuff/balerouthcompare1.jpg

Mr. Socko
06-06-2006, 10:32 AM
I'll laugh if they have a scene with Routh w/out a shirt on. They won't because he'd look too small and then bigger in the suit(because it's a muscle suit)

DorkyFresh
06-06-2006, 10:41 AM
the muscle suit is no more than half an inch thick and it's there because 1) the type of material that the suit is actually SHRINKS his body mass (as confirmed with the Superman Returns official movie guide) so they put extra 'muscle' to make up for the suit depressing Routh's and 2) to give the suit definition.

if Routh were to take his shirt off, he wouldn't look much different (build-wise) than with the suit on.

Lightning54SC
06-06-2006, 10:52 AM

He does have a bit of a large head though

hes pushing 265 not 225

Superman79
06-06-2006, 10:55 AM
hes pushing 265 not 225

Is that why his head looks big ? :D

I never said he wasn't big, just that he looked "normal" or proportional.

lazur
06-06-2006, 10:55 AM
hes pushing 265 not 225

There's no way Routh is 265. Between 200 and 220 at the most.

Superman79
06-06-2006, 10:56 AM
There's no way Routh is 265. Between 200 and 220 at the most.

I think he was talking about the Rock

lazur
06-06-2006, 10:58 AM
I think he was talking about the Rock

I'd put him at closer to between 240 and 250, depending on the season. Some people have a very skewed perspective of weight versus body mass.

wootbaby
06-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Does any one know what 6'3" and 225 pounds lean actually looks like?

first, roth was picked because he looks like christopher reeves, not because he looks like superman. so what's the point of your post?

second, your stats are way off. I've seen the Rock in person at a distance. he's like 6'1". arnold is 6'0" (shorter than Bush in pictures). every actor in hollywood inflates his height 2 inches. heights and weights for wrestlers are notoriously useless. Hulk hogan used to be listed as 6'8". he's more like 6'2"

third, have you ever lifted in your life? are you actually in the military? because your entire post is filled with jacked up numbers and you dont seem to know thing 1 about actual weight and muscle mass. first of all, if you're talking about athletic muscle mass you'd know that it's concentrated in the LEGS, LOWER body and TORSO. a lot of guys work on their upper body to look good but lack the strength in the lower body to actually fight, tackle or wrestle. you take a guy, all he does is live in the gym and you actually train him to fight you'd add 20-30 lbs to his lower body without changing the top at all. all your figures are off. EVEN MORE IMPORTANT, everyone who works out knows that there's DIFFERENT BODY TYPES. comparing 6'3" 225 for a mesomorph versus a endomorph is a JACK WASTE. things like how long your torso is, how long your limbs are, even how much neck you have dramatically affect your height/weight ratio

bottom line. your numbers mean jack. if you actually lifted you'd know this.

ps. what unit are you in and where are you stationed? who's your CO

Superman79
06-06-2006, 10:59 AM
I'd put him at closer to between 240 and 250, depending on the season. Some people have a very skewed perspective of weight versus body mass.

amen to that

ROBOCOP CPU001
06-06-2006, 11:13 AM
first, roth was picked because he looks like christopher reeves, not because he looks like superman.

I believe lex could answer this for you...

WRONG!!

he was picked because he was the best man for the job.

DorkyFresh
06-06-2006, 11:24 AM
first, roth was picked because he looks like christopher reeves, not because he looks like superman.
i'm not gonna argue with you about the rest of your post.....but the part i quoted is wrong. Singer was looking for an actor that has Supes and Clark in his everyday actions and mannerisms....Routh is that dude, he just happens to share a resemblance to Reeve...

...which isn't a bad thing considering most actors who were considered for Supes shared a resemblance to Reeve on one level or another.

Mr. Socko
06-06-2006, 11:26 AM
^unless Singer screentested everyone on earth, you or him don't know he's the best to play the job. Singer has said himself that he picked him because he looks like Reeve.

second, your stats are way off. I've seen the Rock in person at a distance. he's like 6'1". arnold is 6'0" (shorter than Bush in pictures). every actor in hollywood inflates his height 2 inches. heights and weights for wrestlers are notoriously useless. Hulk hogan used to be listed as 6'8". he's more like 6'2"

You're an idiot. Hogan is 6'7, I've seen him in person. And Rock is 6'3-6'4.

y2jversion1
06-06-2006, 11:33 AM
hes pushing 265 not 225

In that specific picture, from "The Rundown", he was pushing 240. After that film, he cut down to 225 for "Walking Tall"

DorkyFresh
06-06-2006, 11:49 AM
^unless Singer screentested everyone on earth, you or him don't know he's the best to play the job.
ADUURRRR!!!! gee....thank you Captain Obvious! i was talking about the actors that Singer auditioned.

Singer has said himself that he picked him because he looks like Reeve.
Singer also said he picked him because he saw Clark and Superman in his personality and mannerisms....so Singer had several reasons why he picked Routh, not just one. if Singer were looking for someone PRIMARILY because they looked like Reeve he could've easily gotten someone who looks even MORE like Reeve considering half the time Routh doesn't look like Reeve.

You're an idiot. Hogan is 6'7, I've seen him in person. And Rock is 6'3-6'4.

Hogan is 6'3 - 6'4
http://www.celebheights.com/s/Hulk-Hogan-464.html

Denny67
06-06-2006, 11:54 AM
I think Roth is passable to play Superman in this movie. I would like to see him hit the gym for the next one though. Kind of like how Jackman did for X-2 and Reeves did for Superman II.

The question of what 6'3" and 225 pounds looks like. That is really dependant on what the genetics of the individual are. There are two areas where a person can get the majority of their height from. Some have longer limbs and some have a longer torso. This will effect how that person muscle mass is developed greatly.

All people are basically broken down into 3 genetic types:
Ectomorph (skinny)/Mesomorph (naturally muscular)/Endomorph (more than average body fat).

This is not to say the people can borderline two different types but most lean heavier to one more than another. Given these genetic factors, skeletal structure and body fat people can be roughly the same height and weigh and look very different.

Being pretty active in the gym myself and only being 5’ 8 1/2” there are people who have assumed I am 220ish when in fact I only weigh in at about 187-193 depending on my water intake and if I have to take a dump or not. Bodybuilding is for the most part an illusion, and people body sculpt to enhance (hopefully proportionately) to their strengths and weaknesses as do they to achieve fitness goals.

All of that being said… Is Routh 225? Who knows… maybe, maybe not. In the end I could care less what the scale says as long as he “looks” like Superman.

Banshee
06-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Why is there still debate over this?

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/7697/mm48yc5cf.jpg

Bale was the perfect Batman, including his size, and Routh towers over him. Looks like a pretty similar size difference to the comics, and Routh looks wide too. Besides, if we are going to start using credentials to "judge" how much he weighs, then I'm a NCAA swimmer, my team is very into our weight, and I can tell you that weights can be decieving. I look to be one of the smallest on my team, yet I'm only a few pounds behind some of the biggest kids.

Point is, Routh looks big when compared to many people around him, thats what matters. So you amateur body builders can quit *****ing about how you "know" how Routh is supposed to look. I'm an athlete who's paid to go to school, and I think he looks fine. So I win.

Banshee
06-06-2006, 11:58 AM
I think Roth is passable to play Superman in this movie. I would like to see him hit the gym for the next one though. Kind of like how Jackman did for X-2 and Reeves did for Superman II.

The question of what 6'3" and 225 pounds looks like. That is really dependant on what the genetics of the individual are. There are two areas where a person can get the majority of their height from. Some have longer limbs and some have a longer torso. This will effect how that person muscle mass is developed greatly.

All people are basically broken down into 3 genetic types:
Ectomorph (skinny)/Mesomorph (naturally muscular)/Endomorph (more than average body fat).

This is not to say the people can borderline two different types but most lean heavier to one more than another. Given these genetic factors, skeletal structure and body fat people can be roughly the same height and weigh and look very different.

Being pretty active in the gym myself and only being 5’ 8 1/2” there are people who have assumed I am 220ish when in fact I only weigh in at about 187-193 depending on my water intake and if I have to take a dump or not. Bodybuilding is for the most part an illusion, and people body sculpt to enhance (hopefully proportionately) to their strengths and weaknesses as do they to achieve fitness goals.

All of that being said… Is Routh 225? Who knows… maybe, maybe not. In the end I could care less what the scale says as long as he “looks” like Superman.

Good post, basically what I said also.

DorkyFresh
06-06-2006, 12:00 PM
i really don't care how much he weighs....he still looks significantly bigger than he did BEFORE he started preparing for Superman...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/Geijutsuka/routhsm1.jpghttp://www.brandonrouth.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/478_Superman1.jpg

resentment
06-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Good post Banshee and Denny.

lujho
06-06-2006, 12:48 PM

US average male height is only 5'9" - and hasn't increased since WWII. In other countries the average has increased quite a bit since then.

lujho
06-06-2006, 12:50 PM

Something like .5 percent of men in the US are 6'3" or over. So yeah, it's tall, really tall. Not by comparison to how tall a person can really get (almost 9 feet) but in terms of how rare it is, yes it's tall. I.E. there are very few people taller than you.

In other countries it's not quite so tall because the average is much higher - it's closer to the centre of the bell-curve.

lujho
06-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Even if Routh got as big as Bale for this movie his neck would still be small compared to Reeve.

In fact, Bale himself never had a thick neck (except in the cowl, of course). But still, the neck can be developed if you focus on it specifically, apparently, which they apparently neglected to do with Routh.

Superman79
06-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Something like .5 percent of men in the US are 6'3" or over. So yeah, it's tall, really tall. Not by comparison to how tall a person can really get (almost 9 feet) but in terms of how rare it is, yes it's tall. I.E. there are very few people taller than you.
In other countries it's not quite so tall because the average is much higher - it's closer to the centre of the bell-curve.

cool :up:

bsquad
06-06-2006, 01:24 PM
In the Superman Returns book there is a part where Martha looks at Clark and notices he looks smaller. It may be a long shot but we do know that Routh was told not to get very big and that Singer wanted a thinner Superman. Mabe that is why, a small detail to push the idea that he has been gone, passed out in a spaceship for nearly 6 years

Personally though the exact details of his size and weight don't matter to me. I'm not going to be measuring him up and down while I watch the film. As long as he nails the role i'm happy.

lujho
06-06-2006, 01:28 PM
cool :up:

Seriously, I'd kill to be as tall as you. I'm only 5'8" :(

Superman79
06-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Seriously, I'd kill to be as tall as you. I'm only 5'8" :(

Don't be too jealous...do you know how hard it is for me to buy decent dress shirts? I need a 17 inch neck and 36/37 arm length and the most common is a 34/35 arm length...and don't get me started on the shoulders...it drives me nuts!! :o

Then again, it does make findiing people at parties easier (that and chicks dig tall guys) :D :up:

DorkyFresh
06-06-2006, 01:37 PM
i'd rather be too tall than too short...

...i have to hem every pair of pants i buy because they're too long. not to mention most chicks go for taller dudes...

Superman79
06-06-2006, 01:37 PM
i'd rather be too tall than too short...

...i have to hem every pair of pants i buy because they're too long. not to mention most chicks go for taller dudes...

how tall are you DF?

DorkyFresh
06-06-2006, 01:38 PM
5'5, i'm about as tall as Kate Bosworth...that's what i get for being asian, hehe

ROBOCOP CPU001
06-06-2006, 01:39 PM
the girls love the tall fellas....so i'm ok then. :D

6ft and proud. :cool:

Superman79
06-06-2006, 01:39 PM
5'5...that's what i get for being asian, hehe

LOL...it's ok, I'm sure you have other charming attributes that draw the ladies :up:

Superman79
06-06-2006, 01:40 PM

Is that before or after the bionics???

DorkyFresh
06-06-2006, 01:41 PM
LOL...it's ok, I'm sure you have other charming attributes that draw the ladies :up:
yup! i have a HUGE...

...brain. :D :up:

Superman79
06-06-2006, 01:44 PM
yup! i have a HUGE......brain. :D :up:

Why does that joke never get old?

It ranks up there with: "rectum?! Damn near killed 'em!!" :eek:

I laugh everytime :D

ROBOCOP CPU001
06-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Is that before or after the bionics???

before..after 6.5.

:cool:

Mr. Thing
06-06-2006, 01:52 PM

6' 2", *****. ;)

Superman79
06-06-2006, 01:57 PM
6' 2", *****. ;)

Like I've said before: 6'3" and proud of it!!:D

Booyah Thingy!! :p

The one-upsmanship continues!!!

Mr. Thing
06-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Like I've said before: 6'3" and proud of it!!:D

Booyah Thingy!! :p

The one-upsmanship continues!!!

Oh, we're discussing body height? ;)

lujho
06-06-2006, 02:19 PM

He draws ladies all right - with a pencil.

Sorry, couldn't resist that one - and he is a damn fine artist.

Superman79
06-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Oh, we're discussing body height? ;)

oh ZING!! :D

DorkyFresh
06-06-2006, 02:25 PM
He draws ladies all right - with a pencil.

Sorry, couldn't resist that one - and he is a damn fine artist.
damn...i should've caught that one! haha

thanks lujho, the respect goes both ways brother

Venom71
06-06-2006, 02:48 PM
Dorky I am shorter then you are ..I am 4' 11" Just call me
Short-Round :D

Nightwing1977
06-06-2006, 03:14 PM
http://www.johnberman.com/pics/funny/hasselhoff_puppies_2.jpg

I hope you don't have a thing for Hasslehoff with that disgusting pic there. I pity you. :o :eek:

ChrisBaleBatman
06-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Bale was like 220 in Begins and Routh looks alot skinnier then him.

Actually, I think Bale was about 210 in Begins. I belive he balloned to about 225 after the MACHINST......and then lost alot of weight and put on muscle. But, I think he was at 210 for Begins.

6'3 is tall.

5'10 or 5'11 is average. Anyone at 6'0 and taller is considered tall.

Anyone 6'4 and over is just a freak of nature. lol

Pretty much the same. Over 5'11 is above average in height. :up:

Yup.

I'm 6'2....so......yeah......boooo yah. Um....sorry about that....

Btw....WTF is Hasselhoff doing to those poor animals!!!!??

buggs0268
06-06-2006, 04:00 PM
well, I've seen the actual suit. The Muscle suit is thin and nessesary because miliskin is really sheer, and not much thicker than nylon and not very opaque. Without the muscle suit around the ribcage and chest, you can see right through the suit.Also, no padding on the shoulders and arms as well, contrary to your opinion.
Well if there is no padding in the shoulders in that suit then Brandon Routh has shoulders that operate differently from evey other person on the planet, including someone who is so low in bodyfat, in that shot. I mean, if what you are saying is true, than that has to be the case because everyone, everyones shoulders, unless they had some damage and surgery tying the shoulder muscles up differently, dont act like that when moving his arms that way.

I showed both a chiropractor friend of mine, and a kinesiologist friend and they both confirmed that his shoulder muscle do not move like anyones muscles do and they clearly stated that the shoulders are padded.

And wasn't the arguement that there was padding and then his shoulders got bigger so they removied them halfway throught the shoot. I wish you guys would get yoru stories straight.

ROBOCOP CPU001
06-06-2006, 04:02 PM
6' 2", *****. ;)

bigger they are... and all that.

DorkyFresh
06-06-2006, 04:50 PM
damn...wtf? are you an oompa loompa or sumtn'? lol

j/m dude....are you really 4'11? that's how tall my mom and sis are...

Tron5000
06-06-2006, 05:04 PM

Brainiac, perhaps?

buggs0268
06-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Damn dude. That is short man. It is unfair that some people ge the luck of the draw and some people don't with avengance. Sorry to hear about that man. We have had our disagreements about the suit, but I feel for ya man.

JamalYIgle
06-06-2006, 05:49 PM
Well if there is no padding in the shoulders in that suit then Brandon Routh has shoulders that operate differently from evey other person on the planet, including someone who is so low in bodyfat, in that shot. I mean, if what you are saying is true, than that has to be the case because everyone, everyones shoulders, unless they had some damage and surgery tying the shoulder muscles up differently, dont act like that when moving his arms that way.

I showed both a chiropractor friend of mine, and a kinesiologist friend and they both confirmed that his shoulder muscle do not move like anyones muscles do and they clearly stated that the shoulders are padded.

And wasn't the arguement that there was padding and then his shoulders got bigger so they removied them halfway throught the shoot. I wish you guys would get yoru stories straight.

I never said other wise, but having seen the suit, on display in Times Square, I can tell you what's there and not there. Gives me a bit of an advantage , don't you think.

SuperMike335!!
06-06-2006, 05:58 PM
first, roth was picked because he looks like christopher reeves, not because he looks like superman. so what's the point of your post?

third, have you ever lifted in your life? are you actually in the military? because your entire post is filled with jacked up numbers and you dont seem to know thing 1 about actual weight and muscle mass. first of all, if you're talking about athletic muscle mass you'd know that it's concentrated in the LEGS, LOWER body and TORSO. a lot of guys work on their upper body to look good but lack the strength in the lower body to actually fight, tackle or wrestle. you take a guy, all he does is live in the gym and you actually train him to fight you'd add 20-30 lbs to his lower body without changing the top at all. all your figures are off. EVEN MORE IMPORTANT, everyone who works out knows that there's DIFFERENT BODY TYPES. comparing 6'3" 225 for a mesomorph versus a endomorph is a JACK WASTE. things like how long your torso is, how long your limbs are, even how much neck you have dramatically affect your height/weight ratio

bottom line. your numbers mean jack. if you actually lifted you'd know this.

ps. what unit are you in and where are you stationed? who's your CO

I just went by listed weights for various famous people, sure some of them may be exaggerated, weight and height.

The other bodybuilders I mentioned I gave their offseason weights, the amount or so they would weigh every day of the year when they are not on stage or durring a contest prep.

Regardless if a guy is endo ecto or meso, assuming they have decent symmetry, if they are lean, 10% or less fat, then they will look big at 225 at 6'3". NOT like a bodybuilder, but far from thin.

True, weight can be more in the legs than the upperbody, and for a lot of athletic activities lower body is more improtant than upper.

Sorry i left out those details in a post that was already very long.

Now you want to question if I was in the military?

I wont say where I am at now, but while I was in Iraq, I was stationed at BIAP, 1st squad, 1st Platoon, Delta Company of the 256 ADA serving under the 1st Calvary division as mechanized infantry, QRF and regular patrols of Route Irish Bagdad, and the Mohalas.

My CO. at the time would have been Maj.Pete Lillie.

Any other fun personal questions since I must be full of *****?

Katsuro
06-06-2006, 07:44 PM
Congratulations SuperMike335! You win the award for the most boring post I've ever read! Have a cookie!

SuperMike335!!
06-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Congratulations SuperMike335! You win the award for the most boring post I've ever read! Have a cookie!

What?

No glass of milk to wash it down with?:)

ChrisBaleBatman
06-06-2006, 07:58 PM
I'm sure he'll give something to wash it down with............

C. Lee
06-06-2006, 10:56 PM
SuperMike335!!.....thank you for a well thought out and written post.

To the ones of you who spazzed out at his writings.....grow up.

Superman79
06-06-2006, 11:03 PM
I wont say where I am at now, but while I was in Iraq, I was stationed at BIAP, 1st squad, 1st Platoon, Delta Company of the 256 ADA serving under the 1st Calvary division as mechanized infantry, QRF and regular patrols of Route Irish Bagdad, and the Mohalas.

In all sincerety...THANK YOU for your service to our country...God Bless America :up:

DvilDog
06-06-2006, 11:12 PM
Yes definitly thank you for serving our country.

Showtime
06-06-2006, 11:16 PM
Meanwhile, ContactMusic.com (http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/rouths%20ripping%20superman%20suit_06_06_2006) have this quote from Brandon Routh about troubles he had with the costume and his build...
New SUPERMAN actor BRANDON ROUTH worked out so hard for his role in the superhero film, he almost ruined his famous costume. Routh was desperate to match the Man of Steel's comic book physique and spent hours in the gym ahead of filming. But the 26-year-old's newly bulging muscles infuriated costume designers, who were constantly forced to patch up his skin-tight blue and red suit as it tore against the strain of his biceps. He recalls, "While I was doing a lot of weightlifting to get fit for the role, I was starting to get really muscled. That made the suit a lot tighter and a few times I would burst the seams. "So I just eased off the workouts but I was pretty proud of getting myself in good shape because when I first tested the suit I didn't have the kind of build I wanted."

DorkyFresh
06-06-2006, 11:20 PM
nice find, showtime! here's a little paragraph that's word for word what's in the Official Movie Guide.

"The suit is made from miliskin, a synthetic material that is thin but extremely tight. Routh compared wearing the skintight costume to wearing a rubber band. Mingenback arranged for Routh to wear subtle muscle padding beneath the costume to restore the muscular definition that had been squeezed out by the miliskin."

C. Lee
06-06-2006, 11:31 PM
When I bought some of the movie cards...I got a memoralbia card with a piece of the blue part of the suit. The little designs you see are slightly raised....but it is still fairly smooth. It was interesting to touch.

Showtime
06-06-2006, 11:38 PM
That is pretty damn cool C. Lee. I was happy just to get Perry's vest. I am going to grab the tin of cards they have at Newbury Comics tomorrow. It's 30 cards per tin for 9.99.

Michael Corleone
06-06-2006, 11:57 PM
In all sincerety...THANK YOU for your service to our country...God Bless America :up:

Same here. Reguardless of everyones political views we should all be thankfull that when called you guys step forward without question.

Also quick question to DvilDog.....Are you active duty in the Marines? Reserves? Just curious. I come from a Marine Corps/Navy family and was just wondering.

As for the build discussion...well it really can be subjective in some ways. I was at one time 6'4 227 lbs and was not far from Rouths build, I've since changed my workout so I have no way to judge personally now. I would say I was bigger but only slightly. In fact I considered myself fairly skinny. I have no idea what my body fat was but I wasnt carrying a lot. Best way to describe it would be a swimmer's build. I wouldnt doubt Routh being 6'3 225 lbs. However I'm guessing he is more around 215...maaaybe 220. I don't think he has ever given an actual statement on his height and weight. It's been speculated so many times. Hell Wizard even said he was 6'4 250 lbs at one time. So it really is hard to pinpoint exactly. However He does seem to tower over most "average" height folks.

buggs0268
06-07-2006, 01:42 AM
Now you want to question if I was in the military?

Extends hand to shake yours. Thank you for putting your life in harms way for the duty of protecting our freedom. No matter what the reason for going in, you put your life in a dangerous situation. My cousins are special forces and I know it was hell there. it is an honor to meet you.

If you don't agree with him or not, please show him some respect. He did and was in a place that a lot of us wouldn't have to balls to be at. Please show him some respect. He has earned it.

buggs0268
06-07-2006, 01:47 AM
I never said other wise, but having seen the suit, on display in Times Square, I can tell you what's there and not there. Gives me a bit of an advantage , don't you think.

All I know is people in the know on the set and with the ears of the producer said that first they used shoulder padding and then they took it out. I was not trying to be disrepectful, but I dont care who you are, your shoulder muscles don't move like that when doing that move with your arms. they just dont. When a lot of people here saw it who knew how shoulder muscles move when the arm is moved like that know they just dont do that. They flatten out midway in the move. there is a crater area between yoru shoulder muscles and your neck. It does it on everyone. Including muscle builders who have definition there and low fat count. They just dont do what they do in that shot.

JamalYIgle
06-07-2006, 09:53 AM
MR. Singer, YOUR S&M SUPERMAN SUIT SUCKS.

DODV-DEFENDERS OF DONNER'S VISION.
the classic suit, and how it has looked like in the comics, with exception of the "S" on the cape added in the 50's, since 1942 till today.
times , they are a changing....
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c7/JamalIgle/Supes652.jpg

DorkyFresh
06-07-2006, 10:01 AM
ew...i don't like the way that dude drew Superman's sleeves past his wrists.

Superman79
06-07-2006, 10:03 AM

yeah, it looks a bit feminine...the raised shield is interesting. But the neck is still lower than the SR suit, and the shield is bigger...so it's not a complete bow to the movie, but it is a nice amalgam.

Nightwing1977
06-07-2006, 11:30 AM

Yep. The drawing of the sleeve reaching his wrists make me think it Supergirl. Perhaps he took fashion idea from her? :p

BULLITT
06-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Reeve 6' 4"

Welling 6' 3"

Routh 6' 2"

DorkyFresh
06-07-2006, 03:42 PM
Reeve 6' 4"

Welling 6' 3"

Routh 6' 2"

that's wrong. Christian Bale is 6'0 or 6'1 and Routh is at least 3 inches taller than Bale. Routh is either 6'3 or 6'4.

grabmygladys
06-07-2006, 03:44 PM
These Routh haters wont face that he is either 6'3" or 6'4".

BULLITT
06-07-2006, 03:55 PM
These Routh haters wont face that he is either 6'3" or 6'4".

Those are your words, but if you think he's the same height as Reeve (Without a heel assistance) than that's your delusion.

DorkyFresh
06-07-2006, 04:00 PM
i'm sure you've seen Routh and Reeve, in person, standing right next to each another. :rolleyes:

JamalYIgle
06-07-2006, 05:33 PM
yeah, it looks a bit feminine...
He wears his underwear on the outside and your complaining about the length of his sleeves?
....fanboys.

DvilDog
06-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Same here. Reguardless of everyones political views we should all be thankfull that when called you guys step forward without question.

Also quick question to DvilDog.....Are you active duty in the Marines? Reserves? Just curious. I come from a Marine Corps/Navy family and was just wondering.

As for the build discussion...well it really can be subjective in some ways. I was at one time 6'4 227 lbs and was not far from Rouths build, I've since changed my workout so I have no way to judge personally now. I would say I was bigger but only slightly. In fact I considered myself fairly skinny. I have no idea what my body fat was but I wasnt carrying a lot. Best way to describe it would be a swimmer's build. I wouldnt doubt Routh being 6'3 225 lbs. However I'm guessing he is more around 215...maaaybe 220. I don't think he has ever given an actual statement on his height and weight. It's been speculated so many times. Hell Wizard even said he was 6'4 250 lbs at one time. So it really is hard to pinpoint exactly. However He does seem to tower over most "average" height folks.

I am active duty Marine Corps taking a well deserved rest in ft worth:) 3 years of doing nothing i think i will enjoy this:)

Nivek
06-07-2006, 07:28 PM
He wears his underwear on the outside and your complaining about the length of his sleeves?
....fanboys.

No, I gotta agree with them, it really doesn't look good at all. I like the raised S and darker tones of red, but those sleeves dont look appealing at all.

ChrisBaleBatman
06-07-2006, 08:37 PM

Ya know...it used to be cool when Lee Bermejo was the first and only guy to do that....but yeah, a little too many other are copying it now....

yeah, it looks a bit feminine...the raised shield is interesting. But the neck is still lower than the SR suit, and the shield is bigger...so it's not a complete bow to the movie, but it is a nice amalgam.

Yeah.....especially now that Supergirl wears 'em like that.

that's wrong. Christian Bale is 6'0 or 6'1 and Routh is at least 3 inches taller than Bale. Routh is either 6'3 or 6'4.

Bale is 6'2, actually. Some say he might be 6'1 1/2......but there's pics to prove he's 6'2.

I'd say the stats they gave on Routh when he got casted are true, he's gotta be 6'4 the way I see it.

Scooter
06-07-2006, 08:40 PM
Bale isn't 6'2".

C. Lee
06-07-2006, 08:46 PM
That is pretty damn cool C. Lee. I was happy just to get Perry's vest. I am going to grab the tin of cards they have at Newbury Comics tomorrow. It's 30 cards per tin for 9.99.
I also got a piece of Kitty's dress...but the Superman suit was the best.

newmexneon
06-07-2006, 08:53 PM
C. Lee did you buy a box or did you just buy a few packs? I bought a box and only got one memorabilia card and it was kitty's dress.

Agentdemon
06-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Ya know...it used to be cool when Lee Bermejo was the first and only guy to do that....but yeah, a little too many other are copying it now....

Yeah.....especially now that Supergirl wears 'em like that.

Bale is 6'2, actually. Some say he might be 6'1 1/2......but there's pics to prove he's 6'2.

I'd say the stats they gave on Routh when he got casted are true, he's gotta be 6'4 the way I see it.

According to [URL="http://www.celebheights.com/s/Christian-Bale-721.html"[/URL], he's about 6.05 feet. Bale has been quoted saying ""I just assumed that I would be around 145. But then I just decided I was going to go for it. It’s just an extra nine pounds, and I can drop that in a week or so. But I’m 6 foot — it’s just not healthy." His own words, case closed.

Ricky_Tan
06-07-2006, 09:39 PM
no way bale is 6 2

Showtime
06-07-2006, 10:21 PM
I also got a piece of Kitty's dress...but the Superman suit was the best.

A piece of Kitty's dress aye. :eek:

The chance of getting Kitty's dress in a pack is 1 out of 31 packs.

The chance of getting Superman's suit is 1 out of 218 packs. :eek:

Perry's Vest, which I got in the pack is a 1 out of 31 packs.

C. Lee
06-07-2006, 11:14 PM
C. Lee did you buy a box or did you just buy a few packs? I bought a box and only got one memorabilia card and it was kitty's dress.
I bought a box.

Whack Arnolds
06-07-2006, 11:23 PM
Bale is 6'1, Routh is def. 6'4.

ChrisBaleBatman
06-08-2006, 01:10 AM
According to http://http://www.netglimse.com/celebs/pages/christian_bale/index.shtml (http://www.celebheights.com/s/Christian-Bale-721.html&quot;[/URL], he's about 6.05 feet. Bale has been quoted saying &quot;&quot;I just assumed that I would be around 145. But then I just decided I was going to go for it. It’s just an extra nine pounds, and I can drop that in a week or so. But I’m 6 foot — it’s just not healthy.&quot; His own words, case closed.</p><p> </p><p>Celeb heights is unreliable. There's more soruces providing Bale is 6'2.</p><p> </p><p>Check these out, they have him listed at 6'2:</p><p>[URL=&quot;http://http://www.netglimse.com/celebs/pages/christian_bale/index.shtml)
http://celebritiespictures.supereva.com/celeb.php?name=Christian%20Bale
http://www.teenidols4you.com/bio/Actors/40/cbale.html
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/entertainment/film/biographies/christian_bale_biog.html
http://www.wildaboutmovies.com/interviews/WildAboutMoviesChristianBaleBatmanBegins.php
http://www.celebsprofile.com/b/christian-bale/index.html
http://webfantasy.info/Christian_Bale/Bio.htm
http://screengazing.dee-dee.net/archives/001368.html
http://musicals.allinfoabout.com/celebspotlight.html

Well....Caine is 6'2 and Freeman is 6'3. Bale was equal, atleast visually for me, with Caine. And it makese sense with some of the pics posted from the premeire.

http://homepage.mac.com/mukaya/media/LaBatmanPrem7.jpg

http://eur.yimg.com/i/xp/premier_photo/c/c0b41a1e0c.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/mukaya/media/LaBatmanPrem8.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/mukaya/media/LaBatmanPrem20.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/mukaya/media/LaBatmanPrem19.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v435/mark_phaser/Premierenbild_18jpeg_700x456.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v435/mark_phaser/Premierenbild_19jpeg_700x456.jpg

Nightwing1977
06-08-2006, 01:47 AM
Based on the pics there, Bale has to be around Caine's height at 6' 2". The top of their head quite the same height, even thought Bale's shoulders appear to be lower than Caine. Perhaps Bale's torso is not long as Caine.

ChrisBaleBatman
06-08-2006, 01:54 AM
Well, I should remind you all...Bale was alot thinner in those pics than for BEGINS. He had to lose a lot of weight for an upcoming filme RESCUE DAWN. So, in Batman shape....he'd be more built.

Scooter
06-08-2006, 02:21 AM
Morgan Freeman is 6'2". Bale is 6'0" or under. Lots of actors wear lifts in their shoes, especially the short ones.

DorkyFresh
06-08-2006, 08:29 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/Geijutsuka/SHH%20stuff/baleheight.jpg

Liam Neeson is 6'4, Morgan Freeman is 6'3, Michael Caine is 6'2, Bale looks to be about 2 inches shorter than Neeson and around the same height as Caine (just a tad shorter). so Bale is maybe 6'1.5. that would make Routh at LEAST 6'3, maybe 6'4 (Neeson's height).

Superman79
06-08-2006, 08:46 AM
I just have to say...these discussions are all valid, but is anyone taking into account posture and how the people are standing? I mean, you can clearly see Freeman is a bit hunched from his full height...yet the comaprisons are all made as if they are standing straight and tall.

Not trying to rip on the discussion, I just wondered how that variable would affect things.

If nothing else, maybe i can help. I go to law school in Des Moines...Routh is supposed to make some sort of appearence at a mall there in a week. I plan on attending. How's about I walk up to him and see how tall he is comapred to me (6'3")...

lujho
06-08-2006, 12:51 PM
I just have to say...these discussions are all valid, but is anyone taking into account posture and how the people are standing? I mean, you can clearly see Freeman is a bit hunched from his full height...yet the comaprisons are all made as if they are standing straight and tall.

Not trying to rip on the discussion, I just wondered how that variable would affect things.

Also, the fact that they're all standing in a staggered line makes a difference. Even a few inches closer or further away from the camera's position's going to change apparent height and size compared to the other people. You can't just draw a horizontal line across their heads and say "see"?

DorkyFresh
06-08-2006, 01:03 PM
I just have to say...these discussions are all valid, but is anyone taking into account posture and how the people are standing?
yup...that's why i picked that picture. Neeson, Bale, and Caine are all standing pretty straight...

Also, the fact that they're all standing in a staggered line makes a difference. Even a few inches closer or further away from the camera's position's going to change apparent height and size compared to the other people. You can't just draw a horizontal line across their heads and say "see"?
if Bale is one inch closer to the camera man it's not going to make that much of a difference. if Bale is a FOOT closer to the camera man THEN it makes a significant difference.

but when all is said and done, we really can't tell how tall Routh and Bale are unless we meet them in person with a tape measurer. all the speculation on this thread (INCLUDING mine) is all best guess...

JBElliott
06-08-2006, 01:15 PM

Then you see it wrong. Bale was clearly shorter than every other male lead in Batman Begins: Caine, Freeman, Oldman and Neeson.

Bale looks the be right around 6', but he did work out enough for his part, unlike Routh.

JBElliott
06-08-2006, 01:32 PM
times , they are a changing....
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c7/JamalIgle/Supes652.jpg

Not really, Bermejo has been drawing the costume like that for a while:

http://www.newsarama.com/DC/March_05/LexLuthorManOfSteelCv1.jpg

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TwDiAscYWfO!phPBmriOI93VDVID7CMguDeQJPiBflo8oNups UvpEfbG65kpdp8Nhxux!on6NBONwqPL0eAHcsIx9oFLTO7RtuF jZIZjGJyM1Emc8WJAVQ/Bermejo%20Superman.jpg?dc=4675503359060990755

It's got the raised S shield and the long sleeves. But Bermejo's version, as well as the one above, have a much larger S shield, the "copyright S version" low cut shirt, oval buckle and yellow symbol on the cape and Superman is a big guy. Let's hope time's don't change so much that we see the awful Singer version and the skinny Routh version in the comics.

By the way, I read on this forum that one of the reasons they didn't use the yellow symbol on the cape was because it would have been too hard for the CG artists to pull off. Too bad the CG artists Singer used aren't as talented as the guys at Pixar who have a nice CG flag waving in a Cars/State Farm commercial where there is a banner with the "Cars" logo and the word "Premiere" on it falls on one of the characters, fluttering and rippling and generally behaving exactly like a piece of cloth with lettering on it. I guess Singer didn't think Superman was worth getting the best CG people in the business.

Comicfan
06-08-2006, 02:52 PM
Reeve 6' 4"

Welling 6' 3"

Routh 6' 2"

Actually I think that it is:

Reeve 6´5"... he was 1.95 Cms

Routh 6´3"

Wlling 6´2"

DorkyFresh
06-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Let's hope time's don't change so much that we see the awful Singer version and the skinny Routh version in the comics.
Bale looks the be right around 6', but he did work out enough for his part, unlike Routh.
lol...yet another person who wants a muscle head Supes.

SuperDaniel
06-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Routh is 6'3". It states this in the official Superman Returns site. Now stop this stupid discussion.

spidoman
06-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Personally I love the way Routhe looks as superman, it's not big and tough and hulkish, it's smooth, thin, and sophsticated. His body reflects his personality. Makes sense.

JBElliott
06-08-2006, 03:35 PM
lol...yet another person who wants a muscle head Supes.

LOL...yet another person who hasn't read that many Superman comics. You should take a look at some comics or the great animated series (Nolan and Singer could learn a lot from Timm and Dini (who should have been the ones to make the live action Batman and Superman adaptations)) and see that, much more often than not, Superman is drawn as a "muscle head" (your words, not mine). Too bad Singer et al. didn't do that.

bsquad
06-08-2006, 03:39 PM
LOL...yet another person who hasn't read that many Superman comics. You should take a look at some comics or the great animated series (Nolan and Singer could learn a lot from Timm and Dini (who should have been the ones to make the live action Batman and Superman adaptations)) and see that, much more often than not, Superman is drawn as a "muscle head" (your words, not mine). Too bad Singer et al. didn't do that.

key word though is 'drawn'

newmexneon
06-08-2006, 04:32 PM

And what actor would would you recommend for the role of "Superman the Bodybuilder".

DorkyFresh
06-08-2006, 05:13 PM

i'll take this...
http://www.brandonrouth.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/478_Superman1.jpg

over this...
http://www.collorastudios.com/projects/finest/finestpics/wf10.jpg

...ANY day of the week.

JBElliott
06-08-2006, 05:35 PM
i'll take this...
http://www.brandonrouth.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/478_Superman1.jpg

over this...
http://www.collorastudios.com/projects/finest/finestpics/wf10.jpg

...ANY day of the week.

Guess you don't like the comics or the animated series then.

I'll take a guy as beefy as O'Hearn who can act over skinny boy Routh any day of the week.

JBElliott
06-08-2006, 05:35 PM
key word though is 'drawn'

Yeah so what?

JBElliott
06-08-2006, 05:57 PM
And what actor would would you recommend for the role of "Superman the Bodybuilder".

For the role of SUPERMAN (not skinnyboy which is what Routh looks like, I guess the S on his chest and belt buckle (LOL) is for Skinny) I'd have prefered an actor (who could act very well) with an upper body the size of O'Hearn but without the obvious body builder cuts. An actor (who could act) of the build of Clint (Posey from the Dirty Dozen) Walker (see below) would have been perfect. Walker was 6'6" and made Jim (NFL all time great running back, 6'2" and 232lbs) Brown look small. Here are some pics of Walker, who has the perfect look for Superman:

http://www.clintwalker.com/cart_images/full/sendmenoflowers13b.jpg

http://www.clintwalker.com/cart_images/full/sevensaints15b.jpg

http://www.clintwalker.com/cart_images/full/dirtydozen22b.jpg

http://www.davedraper.com/gallery/data/511/822124006.jpg

http://www.kirbyjonas.com/cw/images/cw_lucy.jpg

http://www.briansdriveintheater.com/clintwalker/clintwalker41.jpg

(that's Burt Reynold's who is around 6' tall next to Walker)

http://www.briansdriveintheater.com/clintwalker/clintwalker39.jpg

(that's Alax Karras, 6'2" next to Walker, Karas played offensive line for the Detroit Lions)

Whack Arnolds
06-08-2006, 06:03 PM
JBElliot, how in the world is Routh 'skinny'? lol

Dude was so big, he was prone to ripping his costume...and had to slim down. Take your ,male muscle infactuation elsewhere...

JamalYIgle
06-08-2006, 06:04 PM

I'll take a guy as beefy as O'Hearn who can act over skinny boy Routh any day of the week.
JB,
Superman is drawn the way he is because of aestetics, It looks good on paper but is impractical in real life. Brandon Routh is hardly skinny. A Mike O'hearn Superman in live action looks ridiculous because he's supposed to be passing himself off as an average person.
We only get away with in the comics because we say the disguise works.

DorkyFresh
06-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Guess you don't like the comics or the animated series then
ya guessed wrong. i obviously do since i'm posting here.

good luck finding a dude as big as O'Hearn who can actually act.

gotta question for ya...do you think Christopher Reeve was built enough to play Supes?

Diamondhead
06-08-2006, 06:11 PM
6'4, 225lbs right here:

http://img173.imageshack.us/img173/2945/djbhills023sw.jpgThe rock should play watt wingfoot in the next fantastic four movies he'd be perfect !

And oh yeah I think in the first two superman movie Christ reeve had the right built but the fourth superman movie he seems to have lost some weight and I’m sure it was because he got older and he didn’t have time to train

Just like Lindsay carter in the first wonder woman pilot!
What a babe she was!
The perfect woman for the role with long legs and all!

And then after a few episode she seem to have lost a lot of weight even her butt started to look a little flat for my taste !
I guess she was force to loose weight under pressure!

Anyway both, Linda Carter and Christopher Reeve are irreplaceable!

I’m pretty sure it would be impossible to find a woman to look as good as Linda Cater without mankind her looking like a cheap ****h in the next wonder woman movie.

davejames
06-08-2006, 06:13 PM

Personally I don't know how anyone can actually LIKE that humongous, steroidal-looking Superman of the comics. He looks like a freakin WWE star nowadays. Even in the old days when he was big and beefy, he didn't have veins popping out of his arms or a neck the size of a tree trunk.

To me there's something a lot more magical about watching a more naturally-built Superman fly into the air or lift a tank over his head. You can imagine yourself BEING that guy. When most kids fantasize about being Superman, being ultra buff probably has nothing to do with it. They just want to have his powers and fly through the air. I think the comics have gotten away from that too much.

ChrisBaleBatman
06-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Morgan Freeman is 6'2". Bale is 6'0" or under. Lots of actors wear lifts in their shoes, especially the short ones.

Freeman is 6'3.

Liam Neeson is 6'4, Morgan Freeman is 6'3, Michael Caine is 6'2, Bale looks to be about 2 inches shorter than Neeson and around the same height as Caine (just a tad shorter). so Bale is maybe 6'1.5. that would make Routh at LEAST 6'3, maybe 6'4 (Neeson's height).

I'd be inclined to give Bale the 1/2 inch.....He seems about the same height as Caine. But, he's ATLEAST 6'1 1/2.....which, your right, would mean that Routh is ATLEAST 6'3.....and I'd say he's 6'4, just like early reports said. He seems about the same distance height away from Bale as Neeson to me.

Then you see it wrong. Bale was clearly shorter than every other male lead in Batman Begins: Caine, Freeman, Oldman and Neeson.

He looked GIGANTIC next to Murphy........he looke deven with Caine.

Your insane if you think he looked smaller than Oldman.

He looked smaller than Neeson and Freeman b/c they're both taller than he is. Neeson is 6'4 and Freeman is 6'3.

Not really, Bermejo has been drawing the costume like that for a while:

Yup. And I think it was cooler when he was the only one that did it. Now people are copying it, and add to that the new design for Supergirl's costume...well....now we get this "fem" feel for it.

Personally I don't know how anyone can actually LIKE that humongous, steroidal-looking Superman of the comics. He looks like a freakin WWE star nowadays. Even in the old days when he was big and beefy, he didn't have veins popping out of his arms or a neck the size of a tree trunk.

Totally.

i personally could NEVER accept a Superman that looks like that.

There was a skit with The Rock on SNL where he wore a suit so tiny that he looked like a steriod freak. And that's how a guy like O'hearn would look as Superman. It'd be too obvious, there'd be no need for a secret identity. He'd rip he jacket and shirt every time he bent over to pick something up.

Routh is not skinny. The guy seems buff.

Diamondhead
06-08-2006, 07:12 PM

To me there's something a lot more magical about watching a more naturally-built Superman fly into the air or lift a tank over his head. You can imagine yourself BEING that guy. When most kids fantasize about being Superman, being ultra buff probably has nothing to do with it. They just want to have his powers and fly through the air. I think the comics have gotten away from that too much.
Are you crazy?
You get the ***** outta here man!
In the world of comic books huge muscle rules
That’s the reason why I first was attracted to superhero comics ever since I was around 8 or 9
First I wanted to make my body looks like theirs and I knew in doing so I’d get their strength along the way too.
Just by building huge muscle through lots of effort
my will was getting stronger
I knew I could also develop other abilities through the sheer force my will

Kids who dream of having those powers without the body to go along with it must be lazy and stupid.
I pity them!

That’s why I despise lots of Manga character who look like stick figure with immense power .
I think they are sending the wrong message to kids
Nature just doesn’t work that way.

With huge strength must also come huge muscle and a strong body to cope with it?
One’s must amplified what’s already there
So don’t show me a little woman with huge strength who’s beating men twice her size
Just like in those stupid Buffy the vampire crappy stuff
All of these thing are usually concocted by stupid nerds who has no clue about
What it’s mean to have huge physical strength
That’s their only way to take revenge on bigger guys

In fact if superman was for real his muscle would be so huge and they’d weight tons just to cope with his super strenght .

ChrisBaleBatman
06-08-2006, 07:37 PM
I doubt that, seeing as how he cannot work out. He'd have to lift tons at a time to break a sweat.

DorkyFresh
06-08-2006, 07:43 PM
yeah....he'd have to move islands in order to break a sweat.....if ya know what i mean! hehe ;)

Nivek
06-08-2006, 07:43 PM
I doubt that, seeing as how he cannot work out. He'd have to lift tons at a time to break a sweat.

Exactly. He shouldn't look like a 'roid ape, just a very in shape reguler guy.

ChrisBaleBatman
06-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Yeah.

Being a Batman fan, Batman NEEDS to work out.....he doesn't have the God given powers. He can work his body out with weights, and build muscle.

Superman can't build muscle....atleast, not like normal people. He might have to move planets as workouts.

But....then you have to ask....why would he? He's already got super strength.

Plus, being so huge.....how would he keep himself under the radar as Clark Kent?

Nightwing1977
06-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Are you crazy?
You get the ***** outta here man!
In the world of comic books huge muscle rules

Guess what? SR isn't a comic book. It's a movie!! Therefore, Supes don't need to have huge muscles like an ugly bodybuilders.

That’s the reason why I first was attracted to superhero comics ever since I was around 8 or 9
First I wanted to make my body looks like theirs and I knew in doing so I’d get their strength along the way too.
Just by building huge muscle through lots of effort
my will was getting stronger
I knew I could also develop other abilities through the sheer force my will

Are you sure? :p

Kids who dream of having those powers without the body to go along with it must be lazy and stupid.
I pity them!

Sad to see you're such a hate monger with making hateful comments about kids like that. Guess that mean you will never be a father in your life. Beside, not all kids dream of being huge. They dream of being strong like Supes. You know Supes can be strong without being big like the Hulk.

That’s why I despise lots of Manga character who look like stick figure with immense power .
I think they are sending the wrong message to kids
Nature just doesn’t work that way.

That is the stupidest thing I ever heard. How does Manga send a wrong message to kids? I thought the Human Torch send the kids the wrong message. After all, he can turn him into fire & fly. Wouldn't kids try to set themself on fire, thinking they can fly & shoot flames? :ghost:

With huge strength must also come huge muscle and a strong body to cope with it?

Not in the case of Superman who isn't really a plain human being, so it possible he can be strong without looking like it.

One’s must amplified what’s already there
So don’t show me a little woman with huge strength who’s beating men twice her size

I know Wonder Woman is just about as strong as Supes & she surely as hell don't look like Chyna. And I mean muscles shape beside look. Funny how no one seem to point that out compare to Supes.

All of these thing are usually concocted by stupid nerds who has no clue about
What it’s mean to have huge physical strength
That’s their only way to take revenge on bigger guys

Surely you must be a nerd yourself with how you demanding Supes be play by a bodybuilder to look like the comic. That very nerdish there. ;) :D

In fact if superman was for real his muscle would be so huge and they’d weight tons just to cope with his super strenght .

Not really. His strength didn't came from muscles, it from the sun!! Therefore, he don't need to be bulky. The reason why he's so bulky in the comic book, is because comic book aren't real. And the fact is they draw superheroes big in the comic books anyway is to make them look heroic. You need to know the difference between realstic & pure fantasy. :p

Whack Arnolds
06-08-2006, 09:25 PM
LOL...yet another person who hasn't read that many Superman comics. You should take a look at some comics or the great animated series (Nolan and Singer could learn a lot from Timm and Dini (who should have been the ones to make the live action Batman and Superman adaptations)) and see that, much more often than not, Superman is drawn as a "muscle head" (your words, not mine). Too bad Singer et al. didn't do that.Yet someone who doesn't understand the characters OR the mythos. Superman's powers aren't a deriviative of the size or bulk of his muscles...but of the radiation from the yellow sun. Dumb ass. Nolan owned Batman, and did it about as spot on as you can get. :o

bsquad
06-08-2006, 11:16 PM
Yeah so what?

my point is that just because its drawn a certain way does not mean it will look just as good in real life. think outside the funny pages man

ChrisBaleBatman
06-09-2006, 01:11 AM
Ya know what.....with all these issues of steriods....and HGH.....and the constant issues with keeping young athletes (as in teenagers....) away from them.....it's probably best not to portray these heroes as sterioid-like muscled beings.

SuperMike335!!
06-09-2006, 01:36 AM
ok, as some people are now calling the description I gave fro 225 punds at 6'3" as a "bodybuilder", is absurd.

My point was just that I prefer superman to look bigger than Routh does, at least by a little bit, and get his hair cut too.

Not Rouths fault the suit was so constricting he actually had to slim down, if he gets a trainer for a sequel they will have to make him a bigger costume.

And who ever posted the picture of Clint Walker is right on the money.

If I were the casting director, and I am not, I would have tried to find some one who looks like him.

NOT bodybuilder size, but an actor who has a physique like Clint Walker had at his peak.

Tall, powerfully built, but not the look of a competative bodybuilder.

ChrisBaleBatman
06-09-2006, 01:38 AM
Well, I don't think his hair is an issue at all.

And, he does look like a big guy......

MJZ
06-09-2006, 01:41 AM
Routh is tall but lacks muscularity. This didn't seem to be an issue to Singer or the studio, who're patterning everything after Chris Reeve, i.e. a tall thin Superman, not the big buff guy from the comics.

SatEL
06-09-2006, 06:00 AM
ok, as some people are now calling the description I gave fro 225 punds at 6'3" as a "bodybuilder", is absurd.

My point was just that I prefer superman to look bigger than Routh does, at least by a little bit, and get his hair cut too.

Not Rouths fault the suit was so constricting he actually had to slim down, if he gets a trainer for a sequel they will have to make him a bigger costume.

And who ever posted the picture of Clint Walker is right on the money.

If I were the casting director, and I am not, I would have tried to find some one who looks like him.

NOT bodybuilder size, but an actor who has a physique like Clint Walker had at his peak.

Tall, powerfully built, but not the look of a competative bodybuilder.

You have to understand that builds have changed vastly over the years and nowadays a build like Clint Walkers would be someone like welling in season5 of smallville. I personally think routh looks small but there have been pictures of him in the suit that made him look big, as i have stated time and time again in similair threads i think the easiest thing singer and co could have done was have a shirtless routh pic it would have silenced a lot of people.

Also we have to remember that the suit compresses his build so that might be making him look smaller.