PDA

View Full Version : Why do men and women have separate public toilets?

November Rain
06-23-2006, 11:56 AM
I know it sounds silly but i don't understand why normal private homes only have one toilet area and in most public places, they have male and female toilets...

:confused:

is there a genuine reason why this is and not some arty farty reason?

I don't see why in this modern era, why all establishments shouldn't have unisex toilet facilities.

The Storm
06-23-2006, 12:00 PM
It would make more sense when waiting for the toilet in a pub or club however in some cases seperate toilets are needed. This might sound silly but there would probably be outrage from religious groups if public toilets were unisex. It would be easy for someone to perv and possibly rape plus women spend hours in the toilet so the men would be queuing for ages.

redmarvel
06-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Since boys have been attacked in men's toilets... I think every toilet should be "unisex" but have only a single stall in it and a door with a decent lock on it, with a camera outside to catch the folks forcing people into it.

November Rain
06-23-2006, 12:06 PM
women are likely to perv and rape one another in toilets, so are men to other men, especially around urinals when the goods are out. People just need to get on with their own business.

Unisex toilets would cause for ladies to spend 'less' time in toilets since they won't have the privacy they require to do what they normally would and hence would be less time consuming about it, so an emphasis on 'freshing up' and touching up on makeup on a night out would be less likely to occur as frequently.

I don't see how a unisex toilet is any more dangerous than someone of the opposite sex waiting outside a toilet for someone.

as for capacity, i'd expect a unisex toilet to take up the space of approximately 1.8 times the size of a two separate toilets so there would be less emphasis on quiening and so on and so forth.

relligiously, i don't see the problem, especially considering toilets in the home are technically unisex ones...

Daisy
06-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Part of it I'd say has to do with multiple people using a bathroom at the same time.

For example: Urnials are not 'private'. Also, it's easy to 'peek' over (or under) stall doors/walls.

I've been in a number of restaurants where there was only one though.

Personally, I don't mind it (separation of bathrooms) because, in my experience, men's bathrooms (even without urinals) and shared bathrooms are generally stinkier. I've never understood if it's that a lot of men have bad aim, or if there's some sort of deeply ingrained need to mark territory - and evolutionary throw-back, if you will. ;)

black_dust
06-23-2006, 12:07 PM
we (men) pee on the seat and dont say you dont!

November Rain
06-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Since boys have been attacked in men's toilets... I think every toilet should be "unisex" but have only a single stall in it and a door with a decent lock on it, with a camera outside to catch the folks forcing people into it.I get the cameras idea but if located in a region of a public toilet where it didn't see people using the urinals and where all stall entraces could be viewed (without being able to see inside), wouldn't this allow for more than one stall to be operative?

and i agree they should all have decent locks on them.

Danalys
06-23-2006, 12:10 PM
they just drink more and piss more.

November Rain
we (men) pee on the seat and dont say you dont!my toilet seat always stays up, i can honestly say i've never peed on the seat, i don't ever use it...

:o

besides, in a night time environment (club, bar), i've seen plenty of women use the male piss ridden stalls before if the queue for their own toilet has been too long...

Daisy

No, we women don't.

Daisy
06-23-2006, 12:12 PM
my toilet seat always stays up, i can honestly say i've never peed on the seat, i don't ever use it...

besides, in a night time environment (club, bar), i've seen plenty of women use the male piss ridden stalls before if the queue for their own toilet has been too long...

You don't ever use the seat? :confused: :eek:

Yeah, but when have you ever seen the queue for the men's toilet being too long with the women's being open? :confused:

Morg
06-23-2006, 12:15 PM

I don't :p even when I'm drunk I know how to aim :p

November Rain
06-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Part of it I'd say has to do with multiple people using a bathroom at the same time.

For example: Urnials are not 'private'. Also, it's easy to 'peek' over (or under) stall doors/walls.

I've been in a number of restaurants where there was only one though.

Personally, I don't mind it (separation of bathrooms) because, in my experience, men's bathrooms (even without urinals) and shared bathrooms are generally stinkier. I've never understood if it's that a lot of men have bad aim, or if there's some sort of deeply ingrained need to mark territory - and evolutionary throw-back, if you will. ;)Again if the size of the lavetry was designed to give access to multiple users with some sort of flow path (ie a single door for entry with another one for exiting, with stalls first on one side, urinals on the other side and taps at the end with tissues etc..) then there wouldn't be too much of a problem getting people in and out, especially if the space for 2 toilets was used for a single one (infact you wouldn't need that much space due to the duplication of some appliances).

as for the perving, that's a risk us men take on a daily basis with other people taking sneaky peaks at your goods, it's not the end of the world.

as for the stalls...perhaps they could be designed in manner where the doors are cubicals are as high as the room itself to not allow people the option of peaking over (with ventilation given from above). it seems at the very worst to be a simple design specification to overcome rather than deeming it completely out of the question.

It's not like anyone polices the fact that one sex uses one side and vice versa, if someone really wanted to perv on another person on the toilet, they would. Besides with the use of a busy unisex toilet, i doubt anyone would have the opportunity to such antics withouth more people being on the lookout (as good citizens hopefully).

as for the smell,it probably comes with bad aim of men missing when aiming in the stalls, which is likely to cut down if they think a woman may enter that toilet straight after. It may actually help men (especially when drunk) to concentrate more on what they are doing.

November Rain
06-23-2006, 12:20 PM
You don't ever use the seat? :confused: :eek:

Yeah, but when have you ever seen the queue for the men's toilet being too long with the women's being open? :confused:heh, that's the secret to getting nice strong thighs ;) haven't used a seat since i was around 14...

pub nights, or events that women are not likely to visit like football (soccer) matches etc...

TheAlmightyFuzz
06-23-2006, 12:22 PM
What makes you think I want to see your junk, Pervy McPerverson? :mad:

November Rain
06-23-2006, 12:23 PM
why is the female perception of male toilets 'Wangs at high noon'?

TheAlmightyFuzz
06-23-2006, 12:26 PM
Didn't that win an Oscar?

Erzengel
06-23-2006, 12:33 PM
This is why I wait til I get home to use the bathroom.

black_dust
06-23-2006, 12:33 PM
I don't :p even when I'm drunk I know how to aim :p
I bet you have :p

November Rain
06-23-2006, 12:41 PM
Didn't that win an Oscar?best soundtrack is hardly anything worth writing home about....

heh, i think the last time i spoke to you was in another thread about 2 1/2 years ago about how women couldn't pee standing up.

oh how these topics unite us everytime...

LEX
06-23-2006, 12:41 PM
Toilet seats are too cold whenever you seat on it, especially in winter. I don't know women can stand the cold. (Unless, of course, you put toilet paper on the seats.) Thank God for urine stands.

They should invent one of those aiming lasers for penises. I sometimes miss the target. :o

TheAlmightyFuzz
06-23-2006, 12:44 PM
best soundtrack is hardly anything worth writing home about....

heh, i think the last time i spoke to you was in another thread about 2 1/2 years ago about how women couldn't pee standing up.

oh how these topics unite us everytime...

I think it also won best set design in a ceremony that was untelevised.

It's because we both presumably have toilets. We have SO much in common!

Victor Von Doom
06-23-2006, 12:48 PM
cause girl farts smell.

Erzengel
06-23-2006, 12:51 PM
Girls play BattleSh't in the bathroom. Disgusting. :(

Jplaya2023
06-23-2006, 03:04 PM
I think this is only an American thing, i heard them cats in england share bathrooms and other places out there, i could be wrong though.

Daisy
06-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Considering the chap who started this thread lives in England, I'd say you are wrong.

Jplaya2023
06-23-2006, 03:10 PM
Considering the chap who started this thread lives in England, I'd say you are wrong.

Damn like i said i could be wrong though. *shrugs*

Wilhelm-Scream
06-23-2006, 03:11 PM
I can hardly bring myself to use a public restroom that's restricted to men.
I sure as hell don't want to see women in such a setting.

Iceman
06-23-2006, 03:15 PM
I think this is only an American thing, i heard them cats in england share bathrooms and other places out there, i could be wrong though.No, us cats also have separate rooms. :up:

Jplaya2023
06-23-2006, 03:17 PM
I can hardly bring myself to use a public restroom that's restricted to men.
I sure as hell don't want to see women in such a setting.

go in a stoll

U.S War Machine
06-23-2006, 03:17 PM
I dunno maybe it's a break

Wilhelm-Scream
06-23-2006, 03:23 PM
go in a stollThe stall hasn't been built that can protect me from sounds and smells and the filth that animals leave behind.

Daisy
06-23-2006, 03:27 PM
The stall hasn't been built that can protect me from sounds and smells and the filth that animals leave behind.

Wear your sound-proof bubble. :)

Wilhelm-Scream
06-23-2006, 03:31 PM
The only way to keep it sound proof is to make it air-tight and I keep passing out within a few blocks of my house.:down

huskerwebhead
06-23-2006, 03:31 PM
I just don't ever see this happening. At least not any time in the near future. It's just not socially acceptable at the moment...at least not in the US.

Again if the size of the lavetry was designed to give access to multiple users with some sort of flow path (ie a single door for entry with another one for exiting, with stalls first on one side, urinals on the other side and taps at the end with tissues etc..) then there wouldn't be too much of a problem getting people in and out, especially if the space for 2 toilets was used for a single one (infact you wouldn't need that much space due to the duplication of some appliances).

For the most part, I'll buy this. But urinals just wouldn't work. They are just not private enough for a guy to whip out his junk and do his business. Do you honestly think it's appropriate for little girls to be standing in line watching guys do their business? I'm not so sure. And I can already see guys complaining about women taking up the sink area for "freshing up." I don't see that decreasing at all.

as for the perving, that's a risk us men take on a daily basis with other people taking sneaky peaks at your goods, it's not the end of the world.

True. But you see a guy enter/waiting a unisex bathroom and you may not think twice. But you see a guy enter/hanging out in a women's bathroom you know immediately something is up.

as for the stalls...perhaps they could be designed in manner where the doors are cubicals are as high as the room itself to not allow people the option of peaking over (with ventilation given from above). it seems at the very worst to be a simple design specification to overcome rather than deeming it completely out of the question.

This would never work. You're talking about closing these off so there could be no peaking? You'd have way too many people getting clostrophobia from that. Plus if you plan on taking them all the way to the ground to prevent peaking from below what happens when the toilet overflows? The water doesn't go anywhere? The open lower part of the stalls allow for drainage. Maybe I'm overthinking this.

It's not like anyone polices the fact that one sex uses one side and vice versa, if someone really wanted to perv on another person on the toilet, they would. Besides with the use of a busy unisex toilet, i doubt anyone would have the opportunity to such antics withouth more people being on the lookout (as good citizens hopefully).

I already touched on this above.

as for the smell,it probably comes with bad aim of men missing when aiming in the stalls, which is likely to cut down if they think a woman may enter that toilet straight after. It may actually help men (especially when drunk) to concentrate more on what they are doing.

LOL. Awfully optamistic aren't you? There are plenty of places that have small one person unisex bathrooms. They are just as messy as anyplace else. It won't influence anyone to be "neater" in there.

black_dust
06-23-2006, 03:34 PM
No, us cats also have separate rooms. :up:
Ive never see a cat use any toilets around here?:confused:

Carter
06-23-2006, 03:52 PM
Because if a man heard a woman actually taking a filthy giant dump, his head would explode.

War Lord
06-23-2006, 03:55 PM
We have separate toilets because I like my privacy.

War Lord
06-23-2006, 03:56 PM
Because if a man heard a woman actually taking a filthy giant dump, his head would explode.

Woman don't take dumps.

They put their load in pretty plastic bags to be recycled.

LEX
06-23-2006, 04:08 PM
Woman don't take dumps.

They put their load in pretty plastic bags to be recycled.
And use them to plant trees.

War Lord
06-23-2006, 04:09 PM
And use them to plant trees.

All at 3 AM so that nobody ever sees it happening.

Man-Thing
06-23-2006, 04:48 PM
because I don't want to drop a load with a girl in the same room as me.:up:

Holly Goodhead
06-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Because men can't put the god damn seat down.

War Lord
06-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Because men can't put the god damn seat down.

We don't need the seat down.

Once you've been pregnant, you don't need it down either.

Carter
06-23-2006, 04:50 PM
If I had my way, I'd remove the ****ing seat

theoneandonly
06-23-2006, 04:50 PM
its because men would sexually assault the woman or vice versa

Man-Thing
06-23-2006, 04:51 PM
that would suck when have to go #2 real bad though. I don't like going #2 in public restrooms, but sometimes (2-321) times a year I have to.

Jplaya2023
06-23-2006, 04:57 PM
its because men would sexually assault the woman or vice versa

Lol so if thats the case have seperate, rooms for men and women because you can get sexually assaulted anywhere

theoneandonly
06-23-2006, 04:59 PM
well yeah but there would be more chance if it were unisex bathrooms

Whirlysplat
06-23-2006, 05:00 PM
I know it sounds silly but i don't understand why normal private homes only have one toilet area and in most public places, they have male and female toilets...

I don't see why in this modern era, why all establishments shouldn't have unisex toilet facilities.

I know a few bars that have open plan toilets.

- Whirly

DBM
06-23-2006, 05:06 PM
The reason there are separate bathrooms is simple: Girls have cooties.

Everyone knows that.

Holly Goodhead
06-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Glory holes would be a lot more accessible.

Angry Sentinel
06-23-2006, 05:19 PM

I don't see why in this modern era, why all establishments shouldn't have unisex toilet facilities. It's been touched on here a few times in a few different ways by you and others. And for the most part, the 'unisex' bathroom doesn't work in the home setting either (also keep in mind the fact that those people choose to co-habitate together). Man and woman generally choose to ADD a bathroom after just a few years of cohabitation. So can you imagine the level of clashes if this were the state of all bathrooms....everywhere... ANARCHY!!

On secong thought, that doesn't sound that bad. :up:

The Squirrel
06-23-2006, 05:22 PM

I really don't.

Jplaya2023
06-23-2006, 05:26 PM
I really don't.

you need to especially at work or public places to discourage men from taking dumps there where nigs just trying to pee.

Whirlysplat
06-23-2006, 05:31 PM
you need to especially at work or public places to discourage men from taking dumps there where nigs just trying to pee.

Is U Ali G?

- Whirly

The Female Torch
06-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Why do men and women have separate public toilets?

Um because that would be gross if they didnt >_<

You answered your own question..

Jplaya2023
06-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Is U Ali G?

- Whirly

who?

Erzengel
06-23-2006, 05:35 PM
I have yet to hear a woman take a dump and don't think I ever want to.

Jplaya2023

so you have seperate bathroom's at the crib then?

Whirlysplat
who?

I thought you might be someone I knew ;) called Ali G. No biggie homes.

- Whirly

theoneandonly
06-23-2006, 05:38 PM
ali g in da ouse

Whirlysplat
06-23-2006, 05:39 PM
ali g in da ouse

Aye Boyakasha.

- Whirly

theoneandonly
06-23-2006, 05:41 PM
haha

all he wanted to do was keep the little peoples gangster club

WHY DIDT THEY LET HIM :(

Whirlysplat
06-23-2006, 05:43 PM
haha

all he wanted to do was keep the little peoples gangster club

WHY DIDT THEY LET HIM :(

:lol:

- Whirly

Abaddon
06-23-2006, 06:49 PM
that is a very foolish question.

Holly Goodhead
06-23-2006, 07:01 PM
I accidentally peed my pants once, it was weird. like I could have stopped but what the hell. Just let it happen

War Lord
06-24-2006, 12:40 AM

I don't think it's gross.

I like to watch women pee.

Shuley
06-24-2006, 06:41 AM
Here's how men piss on the seat

*wake up*
*realize they have to pee*
*Walk into bathroom*
*Pull thier penis out*
*start to pee*
*realize your peeing on the seat and not in the toilet*
*Move the penis over so your pissing in the toilet water*
*shake it to get the rest of the pee out*
*don't clean off the seat*
*Flush*
*walk out of the bathroom*
*don't clean the seat*
*Watch a women walk in after you and hear her ******

GarudA
06-24-2006, 01:10 PM

Because most men are perverts, go figure.

comicgirl
06-24-2006, 01:11 PM

Because most men are perverts, go figure.'cause guys would pee all over the couch?

Slipknot
06-24-2006, 01:36 PM
that would suck when have to go #2 real bad though. I don't like going #2 in public restrooms, but sometimes (2-321) times a year I have to.
I refuse to sit down on a toilet seat in a public restroom.

Strange
06-24-2006, 02:16 PM
I refuse to sit down on a toilet seat in a public restroom.

I agree and will go one futher, I hate public restrooms. I will only use them if it is an extreme emergency. They are filthy and never cleaned properly. I would love to see a show on dateline or one of those new programs take their black lights and do tests on public restrooms to see how many toxins are present.

As far as unisex bathrooms, well they may work in some places but if they were everywhere then some sick person would take advantage of that. I mean look at the extremes some pervs will go to with their camera phones.

Batty for Bats!
06-24-2006, 02:24 PM
I accidentally peed my pants once, it was weird. like I could have stopped but what the hell. Just let it happenThat's strangely attractive..
*looks at stuff goldenshowers*

I piss on public toliets (purposefully.. i give people jobs goddammit) I would rather my inside burst before I sit on a public toliet. So no, women would b**** more about men generically pissing on the toliets, instead of not just their husbands but also complete strangers. Adding to the already b****ing by 691% No thank you Alex.

Abaddon
06-24-2006, 03:27 PM
Women's bathrooms look cleaner,but tend to be less sanitary.

ScottyBBadd
06-24-2006, 03:34 PM
It is just a good idea to have them seperate.

TheAlmightyFuzz
06-24-2006, 03:50 PM
I accidentally peed my pants once, it was weird. like I could have stopped but what the hell. Just let it happen
At the family picnic, no less.

Abaddon
06-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Fuzzy!:O