PDA

View Full Version : I hit a Mailbox, what should I do?

raybia
07-08-2006, 10:12 AM
I was driving in town this morning and as I reached over to grab a CD, I swerved and hit a mailbox of a business on the side of the road. The car broke the wood beam attached to the box but the box itself is still intact.

Should I call the business and tell them what I did?

Iceman
07-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Nah.

raybia
07-08-2006, 10:26 AM
Am I legally obligated to? What if someone saw me and took down my license plate number and reported me to the police?

LEX
07-08-2006, 10:28 AM
How busy was the location when you hit the mailbox?

If "not really", I'd sit tight and not do anything.

If "very", I'd work my butt off to get the money to fix the mailbox.

Iceman
07-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Am I legally obligated to? What if someone saw me and took down my license plate number and reported me to the police?What country are you from? I would expect that the law on this varies between different countries. In England you are legally expected to either stop at the scene of an accident or report it very quickly (ie before someone else reports you). I think any sort of property damage would also count under that rule. Saying that if noone saw you do it, it didn't happen ;).

Batty for Bats!
07-08-2006, 10:31 AM
What Lex said..

enterthemadness
07-08-2006, 10:55 AM
:o don't worry about it, it's just a stupid mailbox. It can be replaced...by them. They probably blame it on some damn hooligan.

U.S War Machine
07-08-2006, 10:58 AM
you know, you shouldn't try to grab something while your driving thats one of the most important rules cuz your not paying attention.

Darthphere
07-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Burn it.

"Huh? WHat mailbox? All I see is ash."

black_dust
07-08-2006, 10:59 AM
**** it, but keep your eyes on the road! next time it could be a child

U.S War Machine
07-08-2006, 11:00 AM
**** it, but keep your eyes on the road! next time it could be a childExactly :up:

Immortalfire
07-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Just claim that reptilian people with holographic technology did it.

Joker
07-08-2006, 11:24 AM
go back, and while you're driving by have one of your friends lean out the window and hit it with a baseball bat, that should knock the box right off...oh, you dont want to finish the mailbox off? nevermind :o

Carter
07-08-2006, 11:39 AM
Laugh, and then drive away

dpm07
07-08-2006, 11:40 AM
If they didn't see you then you should be good. Any damage on the car? They can fix the mailbox and it's relatively inexpensive. Insurance actually probably covers it. I would check out any video cameras in the way, however. Also, many intersection lights now have surveillance cameras as well. Keep that in mind, and weigh out your options.

Spidey-Bat
07-08-2006, 12:35 PM
You should go to them and tell them you hit it and pay for the damage. You should pay the price for still listening to CD's.

War Lord
07-08-2006, 12:46 PM
I was driving in town this morning and as I reached over to grab a CD, I swerved and hit a mailbox of a business on the side of the road. The car broke the wood beam attached to the box but the box itself is still intact.

You should turn in your driver's license and go take more lessons.

enterthemadness
07-08-2006, 12:47 PM
I like CD's...and dislike ipods and mp3 players. :o I'm just old-school.

Just go back and tell them what you did. Forget what I said earlier, the risk of you getting in trouble is too high.

InsaneMembrane
07-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Do the right thing and tell them what you did...

Batty for Bats!
07-08-2006, 01:00 PM
People like witty and humurous stuff. So here's what I suggest - Take an envelope, scribble To Store Owner on the front. Insert a sheet of paper that says: Oh ****! Sorry! and behind that sheet, place some dog feces.

By the time they get through laughing, they'll have forgotten all about the insident. :)

raybia
07-08-2006, 01:24 PM
How busy was the location when you hit the mailbox?

If "not really", I'd sit tight and not do anything.

If "very", I'd work my butt off to get the money to fix the mailbox.

It wasn't very busy at the time which was 6:30am.

The Last Meatbag
Bring it to the vet and put it down :(

raybia
What country are you from? I would expect that the law on this varies between different countries. In England you are legally expected to either stop at the scene of an accident or report it very quickly (ie before someone else reports you). I think any sort of property damage would also count under that rule. Saying that if noone saw you do it, it didn't happen ;).

USA/Illinois

raybia
07-08-2006, 01:28 PM
You should turn in your driver's license and go take more lessons.

Thank you for your input.

raybia
07-08-2006, 01:28 PM
**** it, but keep your eyes on the road! next time it could be a child

G-d forbid!

Wilhelm-Scream
07-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Tell me this a joke, or a test of some sort.

Are you saying that your sense of morality compels you to omit the "o" in "God", but it doesn't nag at you a bit? How, you destroyed someone else's property, you know it was all your fault, and you should reimburse them, or at least let them know who was responsible???

You must know that taking off and forgetting about it would be wrong, because you're paranoid that someone might've SEEN YOU DO IT.

Wow, a gorgeous reflection on your "religious beliefs".

And I don't know about the Quran, but in the Bible it asks "If a man can not be responsible in small things, how can he be responsible in larger matters?"

So you may deny it, but if you can't own up to hitting a mail box with your car, I'm confident in suspecting that if it HAD been a little kid standing there, and you hit the kid, you'd just speed off and pray to Allah that no one saw you do it.

Respect Plummetted:down

Warhammer
07-08-2006, 03:09 PM
I'd do the right thing...

....by doing nothing and forgetting about it. :D

Kidding.

Carter
07-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Oh let me count the times I've hit things and given out the wrong phone number...

Da Docta
07-08-2006, 03:14 PM
"Hello, I'm just calling 4 hours after I hit your mailbox because conscience hit me. Kthankxbye"

Warhammer
07-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Actually, I'd be more worried about my car than a companies mailbox.

Warhammer
07-08-2006, 03:16 PM
...Wouldn't hitting a mailbox be considered a Federal crime?

deemar325
07-08-2006, 03:26 PM

It would be the honest thing to do, but hey if you got away with it scottfree screw it.

Obi-Ron
07-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Mail them an apology, then laugh at the mailman when he tries to deliver it.

Childlike Wild
07-08-2006, 04:09 PM
If honesty wasn't your first reaction, just forget it. No use trying to have a conscience now.

Carter
07-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Oh, don't let these do-gooders put you down
It's just a mailbox

JubJub BONKS
07-08-2006, 04:59 PM
go arrest yourself, and get ready to be PUUUOOONNISHED

Erundur
07-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Just report what you did, it would be the nice thing to do.

Pyro Max
07-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Your history man. It's a federal crimb, and you admit to it here. Case closed. You better get ready to serve as some guys *****, until he trades you for a couple of packs of smokes, or shivs you in the shower.

Carter
07-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Pfft copying dvd's is a federal crime too, and *I might or might not do that on a regular basis

Spidey-Bat
07-08-2006, 05:51 PM
It's only a crime if you make a profit off it.

Spider-X
07-08-2006, 05:58 PM

Are you saying that your sense of morality compels you to omit the "o" in "God", but it doesn't nag at you a bit? How, you destroyed someone else's property, you know it was all your fault, and you should reimburse them, or at least let them know who was responsible???

You must know that taking off and forgetting about it would be wrong, because you're paranoid that someone might've SEEN YOU DO IT.

And I don't know about the Quran, but in the Bible it asks "If a man can not be responsible in small things, how can he be responsible in larger matters?"

So you may deny it, but if you can't own up to hitting a mail box with your car, I'm confident in suspecting that if it HAD been a little kid standing there, and you hit the kid, you'd just speed off and pray to Allah that no one saw you do it.

very well put post right here^

own up buddy.

Its me Jesus
07-08-2006, 05:59 PM
My heart is broken.:(

Spider-X
07-08-2006, 06:01 PM
My heart is broken.:(

Jesus Christ! :mad:

Childlike Wild
07-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Jesus' name is grammatically incorrect. :(

twylight
07-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Jesus' name is grammatically incorrect. :(

His father was only a carpenter. :(

Childlike Wild
07-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Jesus Sr. was omniscient and illiterate.... I'm so confused. :(

twylight
07-08-2006, 07:29 PM
The world is a confusing place. :(

raybia
07-08-2006, 10:51 PM
G-d forbid!

Just to let those who are interested that I informed the business (The store manager) about their mailbox. They told me not to worry about as the mailbox itself wasn't damaged but only the wooden beam that is the base.

Since the business is a major hardware store with lumber they said it wasn't a big deal but appreciated my honesty and gave me a $50 gift card.

...Just kidding about the gift card.

InsaneMembrane
07-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Just to let those who are interested that I informed the business (The store manager) about their mailbox. They told me not to worry about as the mailbox itself wasn't damaged but only the wooden beam that is the base.

Since the business is a major hardware store with lumber they said it wasn't a big deal but appreciated my honesty and gave me a $50 gift card.

...Just kidding about the gift card.

The truth will set you free..but W-S pointed out what I was too polite to say :down

raybia
07-08-2006, 10:56 PM

If this post had of been from someone other than you it just may had bothered me.

The truth of the matter is that there is more to this than I care to mention but this thread and some of its responses has served its purpose. Your impression of me is so insignficant that I feel no need to clairfy the circumstances that led to my creating this thread.

raybia
07-08-2006, 11:00 PM
The truth will set you free..but W-S pointed out what I was too polite to say :down

People Who Live In Glass Houses Should Not Throw Stones. My thanks for not throwing one.

InsaneMembrane
07-08-2006, 11:02 PM
People Who Live In Glass Houses Should Not Throw Stones. My thanks for not throwing one.

fair enough...

ShadowBoxing
07-08-2006, 11:02 PM
If this post had of been from someone other than you it just may had bothered me.People often grasp at straws to make them feel better about themselves.

twylight
07-08-2006, 11:07 PM

Shouldn't change clothes in a glass house either.

Tsunulia
07-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Shouldn't change clothes in a glass house either.

Or shower :(

ShadowBoxing
07-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Shouldn't change clothes in a glass house either.Depends on the person.:o

Or shower

ditto

raybia
07-08-2006, 11:17 PM
People often grasp at straws to make them feel better about themselves.

And sometimes they just go ahead and listen to their conscience to feel better about themselves as well.

War Lord
07-09-2006, 12:41 AM
Thank you for your input.

Thank you for contributing to Nike's profits.

Morg
07-09-2006, 09:54 AM
you know, you shouldn't try to grab something while your driving thats one of the most important rules cuz your not paying attention.

agree, some dumb college kid pulled the same thing but he hit a kid, lucky he didn't kill the boy

SpideyInATree
07-09-2006, 11:26 AM
Go back and fix it yourself if you're that concerned about it.

If it were me I would have, most likely, purposely broken the mailbox with a baseball bat...but that's another story...for another time...and another place.