PDA

View Full Version : Pirates 3, Spider-Man 3, Shrek The Third - What film will gross the most?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

mcilroga
03-13-2007, 02:47 AM
Title says all.

Anyway, I'm giving this to Shrek III as the top grosser. Then Pirates 3, then Spider-Man 3.

Galactus
03-13-2007, 03:06 AM
How many "which movie will rule summer"-threads do we need?

GoldGoblin
03-13-2007, 03:08 AM
Pirates 2 sucked,so alot of people are no longer looking forward to the third one.SM3 will win big time.

mcilroga
03-13-2007, 03:10 AM
How many "which movie will rule summer"-threads do we need?

While you're here, why not drop your prediction to?

I searched, found nothing.

Darth Elektra
03-13-2007, 03:19 AM
AWE will reign supreme!

However, here's a thread:
http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267682

NewYorkSpider
03-13-2007, 03:44 AM
Yeah this will be merged. I am going to say SM3 will gross the most.

blind_fury
03-13-2007, 04:17 AM
This thread includes Shrek, making it superior to the other thread.

blind_fury
03-13-2007, 04:23 AM
1) Spider-man = 430 million
2) Shrek = 410 million
3) Pirates = 390 million

Spider-man has a two week head start. Shrek and Pirates are going to have to compete for the same audience.

blind_fury
03-13-2007, 04:27 AM
The poll isn't public?

lame. :down

mcilroga
03-13-2007, 04:39 AM
The poll isn't public?

lame. :down

Sorry.

Reasons I think Shrek The Third will beat both POTC 3 and Spider-Man 3:

1) Shrek 2 grossed the most in the US out of both Dead Man's Chest and Spider-Man 2, and it made more worldwide than Spidey 2.

2) Shrek 2 grossed over $400 million more worldwide than the first one. If this progresses, God only knows what Shrek The Third will make.

3) Shrek 2 was just as well-liked from the public and the critics as the original.

4) Spider-Man 2 made less than the first one did.

5) Pirates of the Caribbean 2 was not as well-liked as the first one, despite making more. I definitely didn't like it as much as the first.

6) POTC 2 was just released last year. Shrek 2 and Spider-Man 2 were both released in 2004, so we haven't seen a new sequel for both of those franchises in three years... This has definitely anticipated the audience, and I think they'll be more anxious to see these films.

A.J.Rimmer(BSC)
03-13-2007, 07:04 AM
Shrek will win, but it shouldn't. That really p*ssed me off that it beat Spidey 2 in the box office.

Fanticon
03-13-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm gonna say it'll go to Shrek. People adore the big green schlub and friends...Spiderman 3 could make as much as 2 but won't come near what part 1 made. And I truly believe that after DMC, POTC lost some of its magic. These three coming out all in one month...will have a huge effect on final box office take...SM2 and Shrek 2 battled it out and ended up being the highest grossing movies that summer...but there isn't room for a third to enter the ring...which means that its possible that between AWE and SM3...one of them won't hit 300m. The reason movies did so well back in the day...like ET and the OT for Star Wars...is because people didn't have this many choices when going to the theatres...which resulted in audiences going to the same movie all summer. Imagine if ET, Jedi, and Ghostbusters all came out the same summer.

DACrowe
03-13-2007, 10:54 AM
This is hard. I'd like to say Spidey, which I think will beat Pirates, but Shrek is a wild card.

Honestly, if Shrek the Third beat both I'd laugh, because the fanboys and fangirls (for pirates) are so loud and obnoxious about this, it would just be funny.

L0ngsh0t
03-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Pirates 2 sucked,so alot of people are no longer looking forward to the third one.SM3 will win big time.

I love it how one mans opinion is the bases for the whole summer in terms of box office

Tempest19
03-13-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm going to say neck-to-neck... that way I don't look like an idiot if Shrek 3 wins.

Matt
03-13-2007, 01:26 PM
too close to call.

I SEE SPIDEY
03-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Shrek 3 is going to win and I'm going to be one of the few people who actually lays out facts as to why I think that it's going to win and not my opinion on any given movie; because your opinion of a movie doesn't matter one bit when it comes to predicting the boxoffice.

Lets look at DVD sales first: Shrek 2 has sole over 18 million-an amazing number, not a whole lot of films sale over 10million copies let along 15mil.

Shrek is an animated movie that appeals to adults just as much as kids and sadly (I liked the first two films BTW) animated films don't have to be excelent films to make a crap load of money, so even if Shrek 3 is just okay kids will want to see it over and over again if it makes them laugh enough. And as I stated before Adults love the first two movies also so they will have no trouble seeing it over and over again.

PREDICTION: 390mil total. Winner!

Pirates AWE is a hard one to predict because it's being released a year after the second one and people could be all pirated out but the DVD has sold over 15 million copies and counting, last time I checked, that is a huge number for a liveaction DVD, and the movie had good sequel legs on a record opening. Do I think most people liked it as much as the first one? Nah, but I don't think they disliked it. I think Jack Sparrow and crew will bring in the big bucks again and possibly win the summer but I'm not predicting that because Shrek has more going for it in my opinion.

PREDICTION: 375mil. NUMBAH TWO with a bullet!

And now for my most anticpated movie of the year!

I don't think Spidey 3 has a chance in hell of winning the year because Spidey 2 sold the least DVD (a little under 10mil) and tickets of the bunch and the 2nd movie made less than the first. I believe that the two weeks alone could help it do more than I'm saying and it does look oh so awsome but I just can't bring myself to predict it at number one. I want it to but I can't.

PREDICTION: 340mil. Sorry Spidey!

I SEE SPIDEY
03-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Shrek 3 is going to win and I'm going to be one of the few people who actually lays out facts as to why I think that it's going to win and not my opinion on any given movie; because your opinion of a movie doesn't matter one bit when it comes to predicting the boxoffice.

Lets look at DVD sales first: Shrek 2 has sole over 18 million-an amazing number, not a whole lot of films sale over 10million copies let along 15mil.

Shrek is an animated movie that appeals to adults just as much as kids and sadly (I liked the first two films BTW) animated films don't have to be excelent films to make a crap load of money, so even if Shrek 3 is just okay kids will want to see it over and over again if it makes them laugh enough. And as I stated before Adults love the first two movies also so they will have no trouble seeing it over and over again.

PREDICTION: 390mil total. Winner!

Pirates AWE is a hard one to predict because it's being released a year after the second one and people could be all pirated out but the DVD has sold over 15 million copies and counting, last time I checked, that is a huge number for a liveaction DVD, and the movie had good sequel legs on a record opening. Do I think most people liked it as much as the first one? Nah, but I don't think they disliked it. I think Jack Sparrow and crew will bring in the big bucks again and possibly win the summer but I'm not predicting that because Shrek has more going for it in my opinion.

PREDICTION: 375mil. NUMBAH TWO with a bullet!

And now for my most anticpated movie of the year!

I don't think Spidey 3 has a chance in hell of winning the year because Spidey 2 sold the least DVD (a little under 10mil) and tickets of the bunch and the 2nd movie made less than the first. I believe that the two weeks alone could help it do more than I'm saying and it does look oh so awsome but I just can't bring myself to predict it at number one. I want it to but I can't.

PREDICTION: 340mil. Sorry Spidey!

Darth Elektra
03-13-2007, 03:05 PM
No way Shrek 3 wins! AWE and Spdierman will be very very close but I still say AWE wins.

Erzengel
03-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Part of me wants Shrek 3 to win just to piss off everybody. :up:

L0ngsh0t
03-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Lol

As long as I know that it will easily be the worst of the 3 movies, it can make the most money

Cinemaman
03-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Spider-man 3 will rule the summer (domesticly).

My predictions

1. Spider-man 3
Opening Day: $57m
Opening Weekend: $140m
Domesticly: $391m
Foreign: $423m
Worldwide: $814m

2. Pirates of the Caribbean: World's End
Opening Day: $46m
Opening Weekend: $114m
Domesticly: $341m
Foreign: $481m
Worldwide: $820m

3. Shrek 3
Opening Day: $34m
Opening Weekend: $86m
Domesticly: $289m
Foreign: $441m
Worldwide: $729m

Movies205
03-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Pirates 3 will not make as much as Pirates it's been proven at the BO that sequals that come out a year after the pred. don't do as well, outside of LoTR, especially since Pirates 2 was less than spectactular. Shrek 3 is definately a wild card especially after the glut of CGI movies and again the sequal being less than spectactular. Spider-Man 2 has the benefit of being an improvement over it's prequal, especially since coming off a successful sequal is also offering perhaps one of hte most popular villains Venom. It's between Spidy 3 and Shrek the Third but Transformers is going wipe em all off the map :)

Darth Elektra
03-13-2007, 03:50 PM
Dang, wish this poll was public!

Downhere
03-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Spider-Man 3 is in the best position to make the most. It will have two full weeks before the next "big" blockbuster comes out. Shrek 3 will have to contend with POTC 3 on its second weekend and POTC 3 will have to contend with Shrek 3 on its first weekend.

Spider-Man 3 will be on top followed by POTC 3 and then Shrek 3.

Matt
03-13-2007, 03:57 PM
My predictions

1. Spider-man 3
Opening Day: $57m
Opening Weekend: $140m
Domesticly: $391m
Foreign: $423m
Worldwide: $814m

2. Pirates of the Caribbean: World's End
Opening Day: $48m
Opening Weekend: $114m
Domesticly: $346m
Foreign: $489m
Worldwide: $835m

3. Shrek 3
Opening Day: $34m
Opening Weekend: $86m
Domesticly: $289m
Foreign: $502m
Worldwide: $791m

Haha, I figured you would've learned following the debacle with your Superman Returns vs Pirates predictions. Those numbers are more ridiculous than what you predicted for Superman.

PirateLord89
03-13-2007, 03:58 PM
ha...whomever thinks that shrek is gonna beat both SM and Pirates is seriously clueless...shrek had it's 10 min of fame back in 2004...yes it is a childrens movie and yes Shrek 2 made over 400 mil but thats dosent mean that shrek 3 will do the same. Children's films and annimation films are hard to predict b/c one minute they are the biggest thing and the next...kids move on to something else. Children films are unpredictable...yes shrek has sort of a strong following but in terms of b/o pattern and the way franchises make money...you can't really include kiddie films b/c they can't be compared to franchises like Star Wars, LOTR, Spider-Man, POTC....Franchise films tend to have a pattern to them in terms of b/o performance...though kid films tend to be all over the place...

Erzengel
03-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Star Wars, LOTR, Spider-Man, POTC.....
*singing*

One of these franchises is not like the other.

PirateLord89
03-13-2007, 04:04 PM
yeah...i know...spider-man...:cwink:

Darth Elektra
03-13-2007, 04:07 PM
ok, since this poll is not public I'll make it public:

AWE:

Darth Elektra
Longshot
PirateLord89

Spiderman 3:

Blind_Fury
DA Crow
Cinemaman
Movies205
Downhere

Shrek 3:

A.J.Rimmer(BSC)
mcilroga
Fanticon
I SEE SPIDEY

L0ngsh0t
03-13-2007, 04:12 PM
*singing*

One of these franchises is not like the other.

Yeah LOTR, is not nearly as popular amongs general movie goers, they find it overly and unnessecarily long, and sometimes boring

the other 3 though, are all but universally loved by general movie goers

I'm not saying I think LOTR is overly long, but as some random guy out of the 4 what is his prefrence

I garuntee more times than not LOTR is at the bottum of the list...Is is just? Probably not, but it is what it is

L0ngsh0t
03-13-2007, 04:15 PM
Haha, I figured you would've learned following the debacle with your Superman Returns vs Pirates predictions. Those numbers are more ridiculous than what you predicted for Superman.

I actually think they are close, out side of cinnemans Spiderman's obsered domestic gross

391? I don't think so

I do however think Pirates will be around 350, and he has them at 346, so I can feel that, I would put them on the other side of 50 but this is all perdiction

Spiderman won't falter from having a piece of **** movie like Superman Returns did, so I don't think it will get quick as ***** slapped as Pirates made SR

I think though CM ya got cut 50 million dollars off that total, for Spiderman, I can feel 350 (which would be more than 2 made) but none of these three will get a sniff of 400 million domestically, and I think Spiderman is the least likely of the 3 to get 400 cause of when it opens, and what follows it

Downhere
03-13-2007, 04:19 PM
for Spiderman, I can feel 350 (which would be more than 2 made) but none of these three will get a sniff of 400 million domestically, and I think Spiderman is the least likely of the 3 to get 400 cause of when it opens, and what follows it

First, Spidey 2 made 373 million domestically. Second, I agree that those predictions were too high, but I differ in that I think Spidey 3 has the best chance to come out on top. It has 2 full weeks with nothing major to contend with, until it's third weekend when Shrek 2 comes out.

Erzengel
03-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Yeah LOTR, is not nearly as popular amongs general movie goers, they find it overly and unnessecarily long, and sometimes boring

the other 3 though, are all but universally loved by general movie goers

I'm not saying I think LOTR is overly long, but as some random guy out of the 4 what is his prefrence

I garuntee more times than not LOTR is at the bottum of the list...Is is just? Probably not, but it is what it is
Yeah but there's no possible way unless someone goes door to door. That's like saying asking some random guy what his favorite cola is. :huh:

Honestly, yes LOTR is adopted from the novels but it's a much better story than Pirates. Disney isn't really known for their "epic" tales.

And honestly I was looking at my watch during Pirates.

Darth Elektra
03-13-2007, 04:24 PM
Why dont you guys study the summer better? I keep hearing people say that Spiderman has 2 weeks without any competition, but neither does AWE:

May 4: Spiderman
May 11:---
May 18: Shrek 3
May 25: POTC: AWE
June 1: ---
June 8: Oceans 13
June 15: FF: RotSS.

AWE has 2 weeks to itself too, possible three.

Erzengel
03-13-2007, 04:28 PM
I think some people should study the movie coming out before Pirates. Cause I keep hearing people say how Shrek the Third is a non issue.

L0ngsh0t
03-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Yeah but there's no possible way unless someone goes door to door. That's like saying asking some random guy what his favorite cola is. :huh:

Honestly, yes LOTR is adopted from the novels but it's a much better story than Pirates. Disney isn't really known for their "epic" tales.

I'm just saying talk to people that arent like yourself, regular movie goers I garuntee prefer the other 3 over LOTR, I'm sure they recognize what it is and all that, but in terms of popularty, Jack Sparrow alone is 10 times more popular than the whole movies of LOTR

I think LOTR is fantastic, so I am not voicing my opinion on them, but the general public thinks 75 percent of the trilogy is boring...Kevin Smith said it best, and he gets pop culture as much as anyone else does "What is so special about those movies, they are 3 movies about walking, even the trees walk" and he goes on to say one of the most brilliant ideas ever "if they really wanted me to give them best picture, they should have had Sam go down on frodo, dead silence, no music for the last 10 minute, and in the end he bricks in his mouth" Which that isn't the genral concences of movie goers, but the first part is, that second part is just pure genius cause they're aren't enough good out of nowhere over the top endings in movies

Darth Elektra
03-13-2007, 04:31 PM
I think some people should study the movie coming out before Pirates. Cause I keep hearing people say how Shrek the Third is a non issue.

I can't wait till May. :woot:

I love smelling the air of victory.

L0ngsh0t
And honestly I was looking at my watch during Pirates.

Yeah but you don't like the franchise

You don't speak for the 100 million people that do

Downhere
POTC 3 will have to deal with Shrek 3 and Shrek 3 will have just come out the week before. Whether people want to realize it or not, Shrek 3 will be huge, but how huge is the question. Spidey 3 doesn't have to worry about a sequel in which it's predecessor made over 440 million opening a week before it, POTC 3 does.

L0ngsh0t
03-13-2007, 04:33 PM

I garuntee Pirates would gross 100 million opening weekend if it had anything opening in front of it, its the flavor of the week, and the flavor is everyone has seen the first two, and will see the third

Everyone that would see Sherk again for a second time, are going to see Pirates, Pirates is going to make Sherk the forgotten movie cause it has all of the same fan base as Sherk plus some

Erzengel
03-13-2007, 04:34 PM
Once again...try and prove it. Let me know if you can the opinion of at least 20% of the theater going public, then get back to me. Saying, that the theater sells out or the 5 million dvds sold, prove nothing to me in the matter of preference.

And not that I'm turning this into Pirates vs. LOTR. But what's so special about Pirates? And please that was rethorical. I don't want to have to read 5 paragraphs of you going on how "epic" you think Pirates is. I'm not trying to sound rude here but there's nothing you can say that's going to make me rethink my position. So just say we agree to disagree.

Erzengel
03-13-2007, 04:36 PM
I can't wait till May. :woot:

I love smelling the air of victory.
Which is kinda why I hope Shrek 3 makes more than both Spiderman 3 and Pirates. I'd love to hear the excuses afterwards from both camps. :yay:

Darth Elektra
The only people seeing Shrek 3 will be the people who came to see AWE but it was sold out.

Now Im not saying Shrek 3 wont be big, because it will, but not big enough to hurt AWE's outcome.

Downhere
Don't underestimate the kiddies and their love for Shrek. It's been a while since the last Shrek film so you know there is some anticipation. Also, to put things in perspective, Shrek 2 made more than POTC 2 domestically.

slipknotrocks
03-13-2007, 04:39 PM
I remember people saying that Superman Returns would hurt DMC.

DMC cut Superman Returns into small pieces and fed it to the Kracken!

Awe wins.

Downhere
03-13-2007, 04:42 PM
You can't compare Superman Returns to Shrek 3. Shrek 2 made more than double what SR made. Shrek is a huge franchise, it wouldn't have made over 900 million worldwide if it wasn't.

I love the POTC franchise, but POTC 3 will be hurt by Shrek 3 and vice versa.

L0ngsh0t
03-13-2007, 04:43 PM
I remember people saying that Superman Returns would hurt DMC.

DMC cut Superman Returns into small pieces and fed it to the Kracken!

Awe wins.

SR was also so bad that if both Spidey, and Sherk bust it will still cut into AWE more than SR did

Istill say AWE will win though

Darth Elektra
03-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Memorial Day Weekend has always been the best weekend for summer movies.

Also kids arn't out for school yet when Spidy 3 hits, but most will be getting out at the end of May or the beginning of June. That will help AWE and Shrek 3.

Downhere
03-13-2007, 04:48 PM
That will help AWE and S3, but remember that Spidey 1 opened in early May and still crossed 400 mil.

Darth Elektra
03-13-2007, 04:50 PM
I never have liked giving numbers so I always stay away from predicting how much the movies make, but AWE will reign supreme when its all said and done.

Monday the trailer hits... Everyone will have a differant tone Monday.

Shrek 3 has released 2 trailers, AWE hasnt released one yet but more people are talking and Pirates then shrek.

Kids will love Shrek but if you asked a 8 year old kid which he would prefer to see, Shrek 3 or AWE? I wonder what he would say... :woot

Erzengel
03-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Actually the highest top grossing movie to open on Memorial Day is Finding Nemo and that's at #14.

The rest range from the week before Memorial Day, Mid June, Early July and Christmas.

Movies205
03-13-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm really going gloat when Transformers wipe the floor with the competition :trans:

People let's look at this objectively... All three of these movies this is the THIRD movie coming out... People get tired of franchises, however... Out of all of them Shrek has the biggest excuse since it's a family film, quality doesn't matter as much. Pirates of the Carribean 3 IS HALF A MOVIE!!! This is going to hurt it's box office since it's the third movie in the series. Spiderman 3, like I said before it improved with 2, so it might just fall short of 400 mil.

PotC 2 was so obviously filler, audiences are not going be that forgiving toward that, expect the backlash of hte Matrix but not to the same scale that it'll be a bomb.

I see a lot of people saying Shrek 3 is not an issue, every year there's been one Juggernaunt animated flick, so yeah it's going be a contender. But Transformers is the new franchise on the block much like Spiderman was back in 2002... TF!!!:trans:

Darth Elektra
03-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Well this is my last post in this thread until May or June, but I just want everyone to know that I think AWE wins.

I'll see you guys this June, When AWE is on its way to winning!

Downhere
03-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Transformers? lol...that will be lucky to get over 200 million. It will have to contend with HP5 and Transformers is not proven like Spidey is so I don't expect it to make more than 250.

mcilroga
03-13-2007, 05:12 PM
ha...whomever thinks that shrek is gonna beat both SM and Pirates is seriously clueless...shrek had it's 10 min of fame back in 2004...yes it is a childrens movie and yes Shrek 2 made over 400 mil but thats dosent mean that shrek 3 will do the same. Children's films and annimation films are hard to predict b/c one minute they are the biggest thing and the next...kids move on to something else. Children films are unpredictable...yes shrek has sort of a strong following but in terms of b/o pattern and the way franchises make money...you can't really include kiddie films b/c they can't be compared to franchises like Star Wars, LOTR, Spider-Man, POTC....Franchise films tend to have a pattern to them in terms of b/o performance...though kid films tend to be all over the place...

It seems that you're the clueless one. "Kid films are all over the place" isn't an argument. You have no idea what you're talking about. The original Shrek was released in 2001, made a ****load. The second one was released three years later in 04, made a ****load. The third one is being released three years later, this year, 2007. Using your logic, the kids would've moved on to something else in 04... They didn't. And this year won't be any different. Come back when you have a clue.

Erzengel
03-13-2007, 05:14 PM
If Transformers is phenominal, I'd have no problems with that being #1. :up:

Matt
03-13-2007, 06:30 PM
I actually think they are close, out side of cinnemans Spiderman's obsered domestic gross

391? I don't think so

I do however think Pirates will be around 350, and he has them at 346, so I can feel that, I would put them on the other side of 50 but this is all perdiction

Spiderman won't falter from having a piece of **** movie like Superman Returns did, so I don't think it will get quick as ***** slapped as Pirates made SR

I think though CM ya got cut 50 million dollars off that total, for Spiderman, I can feel 350 (which would be more than 2 made) but none of these three will get a sniff of 400 million domestically, and I think Spiderman is the least likely of the 3 to get 400 cause of when it opens, and what follows it

My issue with Cinemaman's prediction is the outrageous 140 million opening weekend for Spider-man.

Matt
03-13-2007, 06:33 PM

I think Shrek is considered a less factor because while kids can put up good numbers, you also need an adult demographic to be pulling in the mid to high 300 million range. I feel based on my own opinion and public reaction that I've seen (which is by no means scientific) there was a large drop in quality between Shrek and Shrek 2 which may in turn effect Shrek 3's box office, especially when competing with Spider-Man and Pirates.

That being said, I honestly don't know. I won't make a prediction because it is stupid to do so. Pretty much everyone who makes one will walk away from this thread looking like an ass and sure, one or two people will get it right, but its not because of talent or skill or knowledge. It is quite frankly because if you throw enough **** at the wall, something will stick.

Matt
03-13-2007, 06:44 PM
I'm really going gloat when Transformers wipe the floor with the competition :trans:

People let's look at this objectively... All three of these movies this is the THIRD movie coming out... People get tired of franchises, however... Out of all of them Shrek has the biggest excuse since it's a family film, quality doesn't matter as much. Pirates of the Carribean 3 IS HALF A MOVIE!!! This is going to hurt it's box office since it's the third movie in the series. Spiderman 3, like I said before it improved with 2, so it might just fall short of 400 mil.

PotC 2 was so obviously filler, audiences are not going be that forgiving toward that, expect the backlash of hte Matrix but not to the same scale that it'll be a bomb.

I see a lot of people saying Shrek 3 is not an issue, every year there's been one Juggernaunt animated flick, so yeah it's going be a contender. But Transformers is the new franchise on the block much like Spiderman was back in 2002... TF!!!:trans:

Too many people are ready to sell Pirates short, claiming the public disliked DMC. The second movie made ONE BILLION DOLLARS, Whether you like it or not, disliked simply don't make that. Look at what word-of-mouth did to Superman.

Furthermore, the Matrix Revolutions argument simply doesn't apply. There was a bad reaction to Reloaded. That is why it died down right after opening weekend. That was not the case with DMC. It doubled what Reloaded made domestically. If Pirates were getting such bad word of mouth and so many people disliked it, it would've never put up the numbers it did.

As for Transformers...I really think The Simpsons will cut into it and keep it from getting the number one spot this summer. In fact, The Simpsons which is a bonafide popculture smash could very well be a contender for the summer title.

Matt
03-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Once again...try and prove it. Let me know if you can the opinion of at least 20% of the theater going public, then get back to me. Saying, that the theater sells out or the 5 million dvds sold, prove nothing to me in the matter of preference.

And not that I'm turning this into Pirates vs. LOTR. But what's so special about Pirates? And please that was rethorical. I don't want to have to read 5 paragraphs of you going on how "epic" you think Pirates is. I'm not trying to sound rude here but there's nothing you can say that's going to make me rethink my position. So just say we agree to disagree.

Do you know why Pirates does so well? It has nothing to do with being epic, or having a revolutionary plot, or even Johnny Depp. The simple answer is that it is the ultimate escapist movie. You can go into it, turn off your head for a couple hours, kick back, have a hell of a fun time and just get lost in the swashbuckling world Verbinski created. That is why it does well.

Movies205
03-13-2007, 07:27 PM
Too many people are ready to sell Pirates short, claiming the public disliked DMC. The second movie made ONE BILLION DOLLARS, Whether you like it or not, disliked simply don't make that. Look at what word-of-mouth did to Superman.

Furthermore, the Matrix Revolutions argument simply doesn't apply. There was a bad reaction to Reloaded. That is why it died down right after opening weekend. That was not the case with DMC. It doubled what Reloaded made domestically. If Pirates were getting such bad word of mouth and so many people disliked it, it would've never put up the numbers it did.

As for Transformers...I really think The Simpsons will cut into it and keep it from getting the number one spot this summer. In fact, The Simpsons which is a bonafide popculture smash could very well be a contender for the summer title.

I agree and disagree... I absolutely love transformers so I an admit my fanboy bias might be getting the best of me... As for Pirates... I don't think it's going do bad, I simply don't think it going outdo DMC(Which was really mediocre). Simply because it so blatantly obvious that DMC and World's End should be one movie. When you have movies that are half-movies, your immediately restricting your fanbase to those who've seen the second, while a lot of people saw the Second film, it still will not gross more than the second film. I'm sticking with this prediction as for the simpsons, I agree it'll be huge but the Simpsons is not TF. Transformers is the type of film that a father can take his son to see, a movie a girlfriend/boyfriend can go see, or simply a film a bunch of middle school kids can see, it's got a very wide appeal in terms of the male demographic though I don't see women being that interested, it shouldn't stop it from being a Box Office Juggernaunt!

Erzengel
03-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Do you know why Pirates does so well? It has nothing to do with being epic, or having a revolutionary plot, or even Johnny Depp. The simple answer is that it is the ultimate escapist movie. You can go into it, turn off your head for a couple hours, kick back, have a hell of a fun time and just get lost in the swashbuckling world Verbinski created. That is why it does well.
I never said it wasn't Matthew.

But aside it being a fun movie, it pretty much was a big fish in a very small pond last year.

L0ngsh0t
03-13-2007, 07:39 PM
I think the reason this thread is going nowhere, and will continue to go nowhere till the finals are in like September, and all three movies are out of theaters, is that they will end up being photo finsih close, and right now there are people who ether want Spidey to win, Pirates to, Pirates to lose, or Spidey to lose, and no one really cares to much about Sherk cause none of use are children, and most of us prefer action oriented movies

domestically they both might be around 350 (Spidey, and AWE) I highly doubt ether makes less than 330, and I highly doubt ether makes more than 370, the only way one makes 400 domestically is if the other busts in my opinion

slipknotrocks
03-13-2007, 07:43 PM

:up: Brilliant post.

slipknotrocks
03-13-2007, 07:46 PM
I think the reason this thread is going nowhere, and will continue to go nowhere till the finals are in like September, and all three movies are out of theaters, is that they will end up being photo finsih close, and right now there are people who ether want Spidey to win, Pirates to, Pirates to lose, or Spidey to lose, and no one really cares to much about Sherk cause none of use are children, and most of us prefer action oriented

I think your right, There's no reason to discuss this subject because most of us are bias.

I think just like most hear that the films will come down to possible just a few million that will seperate them.

Come Septmeber will know everything we want too.

Erzengel
03-13-2007, 08:28 PM
I still think we are going to have people refusing to accept any result.

"Well if you subtract the production costs, you can see that my movie made more over budget than yours." :whatever:

Ah..Thing2005, how your posts still amaze me.

Matt
03-13-2007, 08:28 PM
I agree and disagree... I absolutely love transformers so I an admit my fanboy bias might be getting the best of me... As for Pirates... I don't think it's going do bad, I simply don't think it going outdo DMC(Which was really mediocre). Simply because it so blatantly obvious that DMC and World's End should be one movie. When you have movies that are half-movies, your immediately restricting your fanbase to those who've seen the second, while a lot of people saw the Second film, it still will not gross more than the second film. I'm sticking with this prediction as for the simpsons, I agree it'll be huge but the Simpsons is not TF. Transformers is the type of film that a father can take his son to see, a movie a girlfriend/boyfriend can go see, or simply a film a bunch of middle school kids can see, it's got a very wide appeal in terms of the male demographic though I don't see women being that interested, it shouldn't stop it from being a Box Office Juggernaunt!

Dude, are you kidding? The Simpsons is far bigger than Transformers. You're definitely letting your fanboy biases get in the way.

As for the two movies...you have one example to cite, The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions, and its already been pointed out why that is faulty.

Matt
03-13-2007, 08:33 PM
I never said it wasn't Matthew.

But aside it being a fun movie, it pretty much was a big fish in a very small pond last year.

Thats not true. It was competing with Superman Returns...which in theory should have been a massive success...and yet Pirates still rolled over it. To say Pirates had no competition is flat out inaccurate.

Matt
03-13-2007, 08:34 PM

"Well if you subtract the production costs, you can see that my movie made more over budget than yours." :whatever:

thats the truth.

Matt
03-13-2007, 08:35 PM
I think your right, There's no reason to discuss this subject because most of us are bias.

I think just like most hear that the films will come down to possible just a few million that will seperate them.

Come Septmeber will know everything we want too.

I'm not sure it will come down to a few million dollars. At least one of these movies will put up disappointing numbers, if not all three. There is no way you will see 1.2-1.5 billion dollars generated domestically by a combined 3 movies in the same month.

Erzengel
03-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Thats not true. It was competing with Superman Returns...which in theory should have been a massive success...and yet Pirates still rolled over it. To say Pirates had no competition is flat out inaccurate.
Well one fish that looked a lot bigger until you reeled it in. But even if I do give you SR, and even X3. Last Summer brought us very little else. This will be the Summer to watch the box office.

Btw, I do agree with you stance on not shooting off your mouth because in the end, someone is going to eventually have to eat crow. I think there are just too many movies coming out to pick a decisive winner. Who knows maybe the top grossing movie won't even be in the month of May.

Erzengel
03-13-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm not sure it will come down to a few million dollars. At least one of these movies will put up disappointing numbers, if not all three. There is no way you will see 1.2-1.5 billion dollars generated domestically by a combined 3 movies in the same month.
This is one of the most interesting aspects that I want to take a look at.

Repeat Business.

While everyone else is doing Spiderman, or Pirates is going to roll over etc, I'm very interested to see how all these movies:
Spiderman 3
Shrek 3
Pirates 3
Ocean's 13
FF2
Evan Almighty
Rattaoullie
Live Free Die Hard
Transformers
Harry Potter
Simpsons
Bourne 3
scrunched together in a 13-14 week release schedule, if repeat business is going to take hit this summer.

Matt
03-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Well one fish that looked a lot bigger until you reeled it in. But even if I do give you SR, and even X3. Last Summer brought us very little else. This will be the Summer to watch the box office.

Last year, we seemed to have a couple movies that should've been block busters destroy themselves. Superman should have been a block buster but Bryan Singer delivered a whiney, depressing, boring movie. MI:III could've been a block buster bust Cruise's antics destroyed it. Yeah, I see what you are saying...last year was weak. That is what is going to make this one so damn interesting.

Btw, I do agree with you stance on not shooting off your mouth because in the end, someone is going to eventually have to eat crow. I think there are just too many movies coming out to pick a decisive winner. Who knows maybe the top grossing movie won't even be in the month of May.

I don't know why, but I am really feeling The Simpsons. This is a show that has been on for 18 years...still gets millions of viewers each week, even more in syndication, can attract audiences from children to the elderly. I think its going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Matt
03-13-2007, 08:48 PM
This is one of the most interesting aspects that I want to take a look at.

Repeat Business.

While everyone else is doing Spiderman, or Pirates is going to roll over etc, I'm very interested to see how all these movies:
Spiderman 3
Shrek 3
Pirates 3
Ocean's 13
FF2
Evan Almighty
Rattaoullie
Live Free Die Hard
Transformers
Harry Potter
Simpsons
Bourne 3
scrunched together in a 13-14 week release schedule, if repeat business is going to take hit this summer.

Yeah, this is an insane summer...and at the end of the day, I really think everyone is going to end up losing. I think a good majority of these high budget, high expectation movies are going to pull a Superman Returns where they crawl to making their budget back...if at all. The industry has oversaturated the market this summer, and their greed is inevitably going to bite them in the ass.

What could be really interesting is the possible fall out brought on by this summer. This is a summer where you have 12 huge budget block busters going head to head. Imagine if a good number of them all put up subpar numbers. I wonder with the success of 300 (70 million on some boring weekend in March) this could lead to a more spread out film schedule throughout the year instead of studios just cramming blockbusters into the summer?

Movies205
03-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Dude, are you kidding? The Simpsons is far bigger than Transformers. You're definitely letting your fanboy biases get in the way.

As for the two movies...you have one example to cite, The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions, and its already been pointed out why that is faulty.

To each is own... I didn't say TF would be bigger than the Simspons... I said there different demographics... But I'm telling you WE is not going be bigger than DMC... It's common sense... You can't build the anticipation needed to past DMC's box office in less than a year. Look at the facts... The reason PotC 2 did so well was because the first movie was such a solid film and it came out of no where, no one was expecting it to do so well, and then when it hit DVD it further built upon it's fanbase. It allow 3 years for a fanbase to build with anticipation to a sequal to such a film that reintroduce the film audience to the genre of swashbuckling. DMC does not add anything new, it simply a rehash of the first one, and it's only half a film. Not only that like I said it coming right off the heal's of the 2nd movie... It's not going make more than DMC. So please when I'm candid don't try and use that as some kind of witism to prove a point, you're better than that, I hope :) Also as others pointed out DMC also had the benefit of one of the worst summers in recent history, it had no competition. I'm not seeing World's End short at all since I'm not saying it'll be a Box Office Flop, it's going make some serious money but isn't going surpass DMC.

Matt
03-13-2007, 08:58 PM
To each is own... I didn't say TF would be bigger than the Simspons... I said there different demographics... But I'm telling you WE is not going be bigger than DMC... It's common sense... You can't build the anticipation needed to past DMC's box office in less than a year. Look at the facts... The reason PotC 2 did so well was because the first movie was such a solid film and it came out of no where, no one was expecting it to do so well, and then when it hit DVD it further built upon it's fanbase. It allow 3 years for a fanbase to build with anticipation to a sequal to such a film that reintroduce the film audience to the genre of swashbuckling. DMC does not add anything new, it simply a rehash of the first one, and it's only half a film. Not only that like I said it coming right off the heal's of the 2nd movie... It's not going make more than DMC. So please when I'm candid don't try and use that as some kind of witism to prove a point, you're better than that, I hope :) Also as others pointed out DMC also had the benefit of one of the worst summers in recent history, it had no competition. I'm not seeing World's End short at all since I'm not saying it'll be a Box Office Flop, it's going make some serious money but isn't going surpass DMC.

I never once claimed it would make more than DMC. Quite the contrary, I am expecting the possibility of ALL of these movies to put up disappointing numbers. I'm just saying for people (Yes, including you) to sell it short when being compared to Spider-Man...well, look at last years box office thread to see what asses the Superman fans made of themselves :cwink:

Movies205
03-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Yeah, this is an insane summer...and at the end of the day, I really think everyone is going to end up losing. I think a good majority of these high budget, high expectation movies are going to pull a Superman Returns where they crawl to making their budget back...if at all. The industry has oversaturated the market this summer, and their greed is inevitably going to bite them in the ass.

What could be really interesting is the possible fall out brought on by this summer. This is a summer where you have 12 huge budget block busters going head to head. Imagine if a good number of them all put up subpar numbers. I wonder with the success of 300 (70 million on some boring weekend in March) this could lead to a more spread out film schedule throughout the year instead of studios just cramming blockbusters into the summer?

Probably not... THere's always a hit in the March season, last year was Ice Age/Inside Man. Of course this was unusual in the sense of it's genre but these things tend to happen every now and then. What you also have to remember is right now we are in a great Box Office Year, it's looking like we have three locks for 100 mil, Ghost Rider, Wild Hogs, and 300. And both Norbit and Bridge to Terabithia are going be in the 80-90 mil range... This has been a pretty great year thus far for the BO and we haven't even hit April yet. I can see the trend going all the way through the summer, it all depends on the quality of the movie. I don't care what anyone says, once you get past the opening weekend it's all about quality. If a movie sucks, it's most likely going to do poorly, and if it's good, it'll do great. Obviously there are exceptions of htis rule since the terms "good" and "bad" are quite subjective as well as other factors. So if all these movies are quality than they'll do good, but we know better. More likely than not a couple of the summer films will suck and as a result will suffer in the box office. But as of right now it's really hard to identify which movie will be the weak link since the advertising been awesome for all of them. Even World's End I'm lookign forward to due to the production values of DMC, and seeing as how World's End will actually be a movie instead of some insanely elongated first act.

Movies205
03-13-2007, 09:17 PM
I never once claimed it would make more than DMC. Quite the contrary, I am expecting the possibility of ALL of these movies to put up disappointing numbers. I'm just saying for people (Yes, including you) to sell it short when being compared to Spider-Man...well, look at last years box office thread to see what asses the Superman fans made of themselves :cwink:

I'm usually pretty decent when it comes ot BO predicting... I haven't really given any movie of these three any weight in terms of being the best. I simply said that if I had to choose one I'd go with SPidey 3 simply because given the factors it's the strongest but not by much. Due the reasons I've stated... I think World's End will be very frontloaded and it's legs won't be as strong as DMC. I think these movies will do decent just not breaking any records, it's very hard to bring new audiences in by the time you hit a third film simply because anyone who was interested saw the previous films, and though that might of been are turned away by the fact they didn't see the previous entries. Which is why I think Transformers stands the best chance, outside of The Simpsons, of being a juggernaut. SINCE it's really the only new franchise on the block though it's based on a cartoon, this really is the beginning. ALl the other films are sequals since it's a new franchise. In my opinion though it depends on the strength of the movie. And we won't know about that till a week or two before the movies are release and we hear pre-buzz about the film.

Mr. Socko
03-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Box Office Order:

Pirates/Harry Potter- undecided
Spider-Man
Shrek III

Quality:

Spider-Man
Harry Potter
Pirates/Shrek- undecided

Oh yes, I'm still lmao at the people last year who said Superman Returns would make close to a billion- yes there were many who said it. I couldn't stop laughing when the actuals came in.

Spider-Man ain't gonna do better numbers than Pirates or Potter and this is comin' from a huge Spidey fan.

PirateLord89
03-13-2007, 10:17 PM
from what i have been hearing even from Transformers fanboys...they supposedly don't like the script so i think that may keep alot of them away...and also i don't think Transformers appeals to a broad enough audience...yes 80's kids are gonna wanna see the movie...a few teenagers are gonna wanna see the movie and obviously fanboys are gonna wanna see it but it's not like Spider-Man...or POTC where couples can go...younger kids are gonna wanna go...teenagers boys/girls are gonna wanna go...plus all the fans...i think transformers may be this summers Superman Returns...or perhaps another King Kong...lol:woot:

Mr. Socko
03-13-2007, 10:26 PM
I agree. Transformers was big in the 80s and thats about all. Kids barely know what it is.

I use to like it and I like Shia Labuff so I'll be watching it.

Erzengel
03-13-2007, 10:32 PM
There's been quite a few Transformers since the 80's. Beast Wars, Beast Matchines, Transformers Armada....kids today know what a Transformer is.

PirateLord89
03-13-2007, 10:34 PM
they know what it is...but todays kids like POTC...and Spider-Man...not so much Transformers

Ebil Gig
03-13-2007, 10:50 PM
I'm thinking PotC 3 will be on top out of the 3 movies listed followed pretty close by Spidey.

Mr. Socko
03-13-2007, 10:56 PM
I think Turtles is gonna bomb.

Not every movie/show from the 80s can be brought back successfully.

Erzengel
03-13-2007, 10:58 PM
they know what it is...but todays kids like POTC...and Spider-Man...not so much Transformers
I like how you seem to pull your facts out of your air. :huh:

As someone who does on occasion go to Target, Toys R Us etc. I've seen Transformers for years along the shelves and considering they are releasing new toys for the movie, I think it's going to just increase their popularity.

blind_fury
03-13-2007, 11:14 PM
TINO is going to make at least 200 million. Now imagine what a REAL Transformers movie would make.

Movies205
03-13-2007, 11:18 PM
TINO is going to make at least 200 million. Now imagine what a REAL Transformers movie would make.

You got be kidding me TINO? That ****in ridiculous... There introducing to hte world robots that transform into every day things and are 30 feet high, the approach there taking is practical, especially for slowly drawing in new audience into the TF world. This film is just setting things up...

Speedball
03-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Pirates will kick Spider-man's ass, then use Shrek as a cannonball.

Erzengel
03-13-2007, 11:21 PM
I love Transformers but even Optimus's truck form is outdated by today's standards. I can understand the need to update. Besides I've seen how a lot of them look. Ironhide, Optimus, Ratchet and Jazz. :up:

Mr. Socko
03-13-2007, 11:29 PM
Pirates will kick Spider-man's ass, then use Shrek as a cannonball.

Lol! I hope it doesnt kill Spidey

blind_fury
03-13-2007, 11:31 PM
You got be kidding me TINO? That ****in ridiculous... There introducing to hte world robots that transform into every day things and are 30 feet high, the approach there taking is practical, especially for slowly drawing in new audience into the TF world. This film is just setting things up...

Yeah your right. Lets get McG to "update" Harry Potter by replacing the broomsticks with neon colored skateboards and change the characterizations that made the books so popular. While we're at it lets get Uwe Boll to update LOTR and replace the ring with an umbrella and make Gollum a tapdancing penguin. Who cares about the characterizations and designs that made the LOTR popular? KIDS LOVE DANCING PENGUINS!!! :wow: :up:

:whatever:

Erzengel
03-13-2007, 11:37 PM
Stop comparing apples and oranges.

I wasn't on board originally when I first heard about it.

The trailer really swayed me as well as pictures of the Transformers.

Seriously give it a chance before automatically condemning it.

And this is from an avid TF fan.

Mr. Socko
03-13-2007, 11:43 PM
Yeah your right. Lets get McG to "update" Harry Potter by replacing the broomsticks with neon colored skateboards and change the characterizations that made the books so popular. While we're at it lets get Uwe Boll to update LOTR and replace the ring with an umbrella and make Gollum a tapdancing penguin. Who cares about the characterizations and designs that made the LOTR popular? KIDS LOVE DANCING PENGUINS!!! :wow: :up:

:whatever:

Let's call SCHUMACHER!!!!!!!!!!!

That second one about Boll/LOTR had me crackin' up:oldrazz:

blind_fury
03-13-2007, 11:44 PM
I love Transformers but even Optimus's truck form is outdated by today's standards. I can understand the need to update. Besides I've seen how a lot of them look. Ironhide, Optimus, Ratchet and Jazz. :up:
If the story is compelling, the characters engaging, and the dialogue memorable people will come in droves to see Optimus even if he looks "boxy" and his truck form is a red flatnose.

What are people going to say? "Wow this movie is so fun and interesting but I'm going to walk out because a truck used is outdated and the robots don't look like four-eyed bionicle figures."

There's no reason to revamp the characterizations and designs. Not only do you alienate millions of fans you risk losing the appeal that made the concept popular in the first place.

Asteroid-Man
03-13-2007, 11:45 PM
1. Spidey 3
2. POTC 3
3. Shrek 3

L0ngsh0t
03-13-2007, 11:58 PM

I garuntee you if Pirates looses at the b.o. I will admit that they lost

I will be a bit upset if it is to Sherk 3, but Spidey is no second teir movie, that movie might end up being in my top 20, at least that is how the trailer is lookin' and considering the story and the themes

but it is gunna be hard pressed to beat AWE imo, and at the b.o. I think that there is alot of downplaying going on, and I think most act like it didn't just gross a Bill less than a year ago, I think that gives it instant cred, and just like a sports team that won a championship they always have to be considered the favorite the next year....not saying it always happens, or rarely happens that they repeat, but the great ones do, I know you'll instantly disagree with this, and thats all good

also the Transformers talk....that movie is gunna rule all (except Spidey, and Pirates) this summer, and possibley Die Hard, cause that also looks exceptional

L0ngsh0t
03-14-2007, 12:01 AM

I garuntee you if Pirates looses at the b.o. I will admit that they lost

I will be a bit upset if it is to Sherk 3, but Spidey is no second teir movie, that movie might end up being in my top 20, at least that is how the trailer is lookin' and considering the story and the themes

but it is gunna be hard pressed to beat AWE imo, and at the b.o. I think that there is alot of downplaying going on, and I think most act like it didn't just gross a Bill less than a year ago, I think that gives it instant cred, and just like a sports team that won a championship they always have to be considered the favorite the next year....not saying it always happens, or rarely happens that they repeat, but the great ones do, I know you'll instantly disagree with this, and thats all good

also the Transformers talk....that movie is gunna rule all (except Spidey, and Pirates) this summer, and possibley Die Hard, cause that also looks exceptional

PirateLord89
03-14-2007, 01:51 AM
I like how you seem to pull your facts out of your air. :huh:

As someone who does on occasion go to Target, Toys R Us etc. I've seen Transformers for years along the shelves and considering they are releasing new toys for the movie, I think it's going to just increase their popularity.

it's not a matter of where i get my facts from...
and just b/c the toys are available dosen't mean that the franchise is what it was 10 or 20 years ago...sure kids may still play w/ the toys or watch the cartoon but that dosent by any means show that the franchise is a phenomenon like it was in the 80's...

Tempest19
03-14-2007, 03:14 AM
I think the reason this thread is going nowhere, and will continue to go nowhere till the finals are in like September, and all three movies are out of theaters, is that they will end up being photo finsih close, and right now there are people who ether want Spidey to win, Pirates to, Pirates to lose, or Spidey to lose, and no one really cares to much about Sherk cause none of use are children, and most of us prefer action oriented movies

domestically they both might be around 350 (Spidey, and AWE) I highly doubt ether makes less than 330, and I highly doubt ether makes more than 370, the only way one makes 400 domestically is if the other busts in my opinion

Couldn't have said it better myself.

This summer, I don't want to be one of the many making an ass of themselves- as Matt said- because it's probably going to be NECK-TO-NECK close...

There really is no way to know for sure any outcome about this summer.

What I can say though is this summer will by far make up for last year's summer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Transformers, it's going to surprise most of you guys I bet. SM3, POTC3,and Shrek 3 are going to be the top three (no specific order), then I think Transformers has a slight shot at fourth or fifth.

It's going to drive kids in like crazy, yeah- they don't know about the mythos and comics... I don't either! Most general audiences know nothing about Transformers, but what we and most general audiences do know is- giant robots fighting and interacting has got to be AWESOME! Kids are going to LOVE that! And definitely a summer blockbuster!

I got a ID4 sense when reading it. I personally loved the script and can't wait until the film comes out, and as I said before, I know nothing about Transformers- so I only viewed it as the general audience would and will... A kick ass summer popcorn flick with action sequences that will blow you away! The film has comedy, tense moments, and believe it or not- the script alone made me care about these Transformer characters, especially Bumblebee! And that's just on page!

Transformers has a strong chance of being an epic blockbuster summer film that will drive an audience in in droves!

Kids.... already on it, "cool giant robots!"

Teenagers and college students.... already on it, "cool giant robots!"

I played the trailer before film class last semester and I litterally had about fifteen guys (out of a class of thirty) crowding around it- all wanting to see Transformers and all went.... "cool!!! I REALLY want to see that movie!"

I'm telling you guys, if you think Transformers is going to be a disappointment in box office, you're dead wrong- I see this easily being fourth or fifth place this summer. Everyone I've heard from, and from that response to the trailer I just told you guys about- I don't see how this movie can not be a success.

There's more than meets the eye.

primemover
03-14-2007, 04:49 AM
ok, since this poll is not public I'll make it public:

AWE:

Darth Elektra
Longshot
PirateLord89

Spiderman 3:

Blind_Fury
DA Crow
Cinemaman
Movies205
Downhere

Shrek 3:

A.J.Rimmer(BSC)
mcilroga
Fanticon
I SEE SPIDEY

I voted for Shrek 3 and have publically said Shrek 3 in many a thread in the last year. There will be many a Spidey fanboy backpedalling next summer.

primemover
03-14-2007, 04:54 AM
ha...whomever thinks that shrek is gonna beat both SM and Pirates is seriously clueless...shrek had it's 10 min of fame back in 2004...yes it is a childrens movie and yes Shrek 2 made over 400 mil but thats dosent mean that shrek 3 will do the same. Children's films and annimation films are hard to predict b/c one minute they are the biggest thing and the next...kids move on to something else.

Animated films had 4 movies that scored in the high to mid 100 million range, with one breaking 200 million, outgrossing both major super-hero movie franchises.

I don't know what planet you are referring to, but here on planet earth animated films are more successful than super-hero films.

mcilroga
03-14-2007, 04:56 AM
If a mod wants to make the poll public, go ahead. I can't, and I forgot to.

I've stated why I think Shrek 3 will take the top gross home already. It's very possible that Pirates will beat it. Spider-Man? HUGE doubts there. God knows why it's winning the poll. I'm sure alot of the people who voted for it are biased fanboys, but Hell...

mcilroga
03-14-2007, 04:58 AM
Animated films had 4 movies that scored in the high to mid 100 million range, with one breaking 200 million, outgrossing both major super-hero movie franchises.

I don't know what planet you are referring to, but here on planet earth animated films are more successful than super-hero films.

Amen.

Spider-Man is mainly directed at Spider-Man fans... Shrek is directed at most kids... it's more popular, and box office has proven this.

Shrek is directed at children, but most of the gross comes from their parents... Spider-Man isn't seen by many kids.

Matt
03-14-2007, 06:31 AM
The entire "INO" thing is so 2003.

Mr Jide
03-14-2007, 06:40 AM
I think shrek is going to take this.

Erzengel
03-14-2007, 09:16 AM
it's not a matter of where i get my facts from...
and just b/c the toys are available dosen't mean that the franchise is what it was 10 or 20 years ago...sure kids may still play w/ the toys or watch the cartoon but that dosent by any means show that the franchise is a phenomenon like it was in the 80's...
It is a matter of where you get your facts from because it's pretty biased.

You make it sound that most kids don't even know what Transformers is. I like how you backpeddle though. :down

Downhere
03-14-2007, 09:19 AM
The problem with Transformers is the fact that it will face HP5 after two weeks and considering the fact that we have no idea how it will open when it is released, it's hard to gauge how much it could make. Right now I'd put the low end at 180 mil and high end at 250 mil.

Erzengel
03-14-2007, 09:25 AM
Most movies today make 70-80% of their domestic grosses in the first 2 weeks. So 2 weeks seems to be plenty nowadays.

Downhere
03-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Most movies today make 70-80% of their domestic grosses in the first 2 weeks. So 2 weeks seems to be plenty nowadays.

While that may be true, if Transformers does not open to expectations then it won't have a big gross. It could go both ways. If it has a soft opening then it will have a good but not huge total gross because once HP5 hits then it will eat into Transformers take. Now, if it opens huge, then it could have an uber blockbuster take...but that is yet to be seen.

L0ngsh0t
03-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself.

This summer, I don't want to be one of the many making an ass of themselves- as Matt said- because it's probably going to be NECK-TO-NECK close...

There really is no way to know for sure any outcome about this summer.

What I can say though is this summer will by far make up for last year's summer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Transformers, it's going to surprise most of you guys I bet. SM3, POTC3,and Shrek 3 are going to be the top three (no specific order), then I think Transformers has a slight shot at fourth or fifth.

It's going to drive kids in like crazy, yeah- they don't know about the mythos and comics... I don't either! Most general audiences know nothing about Transformers, but what we and most general audiences do know is- giant robots fighting and interacting has got to be AWESOME! Kids are going to LOVE that! And definitely a summer blockbuster!

I got a ID4 sense when reading it. I personally loved the script and can't wait until the film comes out, and as I said before, I know nothing about Transformers- so I only viewed it as the general audience would and will... A kick ass summer popcorn flick with action sequences that will blow you away! The film has comedy, tense moments, and believe it or not- the script alone made me care about these Transformer characters, especially Bumblebee! And that's just on page!

Transformers has a strong chance of being an epic blockbuster summer film that will drive an audience in in droves!

Kids.... already on it, "cool giant robots!"

Teenagers and college students.... already on it, "cool giant robots!"

I played the trailer before film class last semester and I litterally had about fifteen guys (out of a class of thirty) crowding around it- all wanting to see Transformers and all went.... "cool!!! I REALLY want to see that movie!"

I'm telling you guys, if you think Transformers is going to be a disappointment in box office, you're dead wrong- I see this easily being fourth or fifth place this summer. Everyone I've heard from, and from that response to the trailer I just told you guys about- I don't see how this movie can not be a success.

There's more than meets the eye.

ID4 is a solid call for what feel it gives out

I had been saying Jurassic Park from the giant ****ing things on screen element, but ID4 fits better cause it more than likely won't be as good as JP

I SEE SPIDEY
03-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Amen.

Spider-Man is mainly directed at Spider-Man fans... Shrek is directed at most kids... it's more popular, and box office has proven this.

Shrek is directed at children, but most of the gross comes from their parents... Spider-Man isn't seen by many kids.Thats insane, Spider-Man has plenty of kids that love the movies, thats why both movies made over 350mil.

DACrowe
03-14-2007, 01:50 PM
Kids don't go see Spider-Man movies? Really? Then why the action figures, happy meals, t-shirts and cartoon lines all connected to the movie. Please.

Cinemaman
03-14-2007, 01:57 PM

Shut up, Spidey 3 can't be another SR. They are differnet franchises. And do you really think POTC3 will have DMC numbers? If yes, then you're idiot.

I SEE SPIDEY
03-14-2007, 02:09 PM
How can you be so sure what Pirates 3 will or won't make? I remember you being one of the people who thought that it was going to be a close race between SR and POTC2. Look at the numbers, SR didn't even gross as much as an adult thriller, The Da Vinci Code. Now nobody is going to be right all of the time when it comes to boxoffice (more like you're doing good if your 50-50) but you seem to be one of the worse boxoffice predictors on here, and thats saying alot.

Cinemaman
03-14-2007, 02:18 PM
How can you be so sure what Pirates 3 will or won't make? I remember you being one of the people who thought that it was going to be a close race between SR and POTC2. Look at the numbers, SR didn't even gross as much as an adult thriller, The Da Vinci Code. Now nobody is going to be right all of the time when it comes to boxoffice (more like you're doing good if your 50-50) but you seem to be one of the worse boxoffice predictors on here, and thats saying alot.

How can you judge me, if you don't make predictions?

Spidey is one of the most popular franchises today.

How can 3rd film get #1 domesticly?

Release date (that's the first summer blockbuster of the year)
Marketing (easily, it has the best promotion plan among it's competitors)
Fan base
2 weeks without any competitionYou think that I am one of those, who have no clue in box office numbers. That's not right, cause I was right with MI3 and DVC.

And stop overestimating potential of POTC3. If 2nd movie made so much, it doesn't mean the 3rd one will repeat it's numbers.

DMC didn't even start it's promotion (as you say), but it's already March and we have only 3-4 posters and one trailer, which hasn't even come yet.

You think you are the smartest here, don't you? If you didn't, then you wouldn't try to hurt me saying how dumb my forecast is. And it's not dumb, because still it's forecast, it's not the real numbers, but it's very closed to it. You can easily find every guy, who said SR would have made $500m. But I wasn't one of them, I said $329m. Ther eis a big difference.

Asteroid-Man
03-14-2007, 02:31 PM
1. Spidey 3
2. POTC 3
3. HP 5
4. Shrek 3

Poetic Chaos
03-14-2007, 02:54 PM
HP5 will win WW. That's the only number that counts anyway.

primemover
03-14-2007, 03:04 PM
And stop overestimating potential of POTC3. If 2nd movie made so much, it doesn't mean the 3rd one will repeat it's numbers.

Here, try this on for size, 'And stop overestimating the potential of Spider-Man 3. If the 2nd movie made so much, it doesn't mean the 3rd one will repeat it's numbers'

DMC didn't even start it's promotion (as you say), but it's already March and we have only 3-4 posters and one trailer, which hasn't even come yet.

Promotion means nothing until a few months before the movie comes out. Remember too, POTC3 will have plenty of 'promotion' as it had a 400+ million dollar movie come out last year, it'll still be fresh in peoples minds.

You think you are the smartest here, don't you? If you didn't, then you wouldn't try to hurt me saying how dumb my forecast is. And it's not dumb, because still it's forecast, it's not the real numbers, but it's very closed to it. You can easily find every guy, who said SR would have made $500m. But I wasn't one of them, I said $329m. Ther eis a big difference.

So you were off by 129 million dollars, and to you that is 'closed to it'?

Cinemaman
03-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Here, try this on for size, 'And stop overestimating the potential of Spider-Man 3. If the 2nd movie made so much, it doesn't mean the 3rd one will repeat it's numbers'

Promotion means nothing until a few months before the movie comes out. Remember too, POTC3 will have plenty of 'promotion' as it had a 400+ million dollar movie come out last year, it'll still be fresh in peoples minds.

So you were off by 129 million dollars, and to you that is 'closed to it'?

Actually 2nd movie made less than the 1st one. And I see box office numbers of Spidey films being closed to Star Wars prequels numbers. First one made more than $400m and had the best profit (Spidey 1 and Episode I), then sequel made less than the previous movie (Spidey 2 and EPisode II), but the last one will make more than sequel, but less than 1st film staying as #2 (Spidey 3 and ROTS).

That's funny, because POTC3 has now worser situation with marketing than SR (even it had one trailer by March). The only thing, which still saves POTC3 is the success of the sequel. But most of peopel thought that DMC had been worser than 1st film, what makes anotehr problems for POTC3 (remember the same situation with The Matrix).

I wasn't closed to the actual numbers. But I think there is no guy, who can make the exact predictions to every movie coming out this summer. Predictions are our thoughts and guesses of the final result, aren't they? Still, I was right with Da Vinci Code and MI3, and that's exactly what most of posters here don't want to remeber only because I said SR would have made more than POTC2.

L0ngsh0t
03-14-2007, 04:26 PM
How can you judge me, if you don't make predictions?

Spidey is one of the most popular franchises today.

How can 3rd film get #1 domesticly?
Release date (that's the first summer blockbuster of the year)
Marketing (easily, it has the best promotion plan among it's competitors)
Fan base
2 weeks without any competitionYou think that I am one of those, who have no clue in box office numbers. That's not right, cause I was right with MI3 and DVC.

I have a couple points for you CM, I'm interested to see what you have to say about my rebutle to you:woot:

Okay

1. Spidermans release date; First summer blockbuster is not nearly as strong as Memeorial Days, especially recently, I think if Memorial Day movie wheren't an established franchise like Pirates it wouldn't matter much, but it is
1a. First blockbuster/Memorial day breakdown

Last year MI-3 50 mill vs Xmen-wasn't it over 100? something obsered like that, and MI-3 was much better imo

there where others I have posted a while back, I have class and need to hurry lol

1b. Spiderman is released when kids, and college students (the big return buisness demographic) are in school

2. Marketing; I agree Spidermans currently is far superior, but come May what really matters? That people knew about it last January, or People know about it+plus an awesome trailer in April/May?
2a. When ya break it down, if AWE trailer is awesome, and all over ABC, Disney Channel, and ESPN(Companies owned by Disney) it won't really matter

3. Fan Base=Spiderman has a better core fan base, but general movie going audeinces will go to both it all depends on who goes to what more

4. 2 weeks without any competition-Pirates can say the exact same thing, they have a whole second week without anyone major, it isn't till the 13 that Oceans 13 comes out
4a. You will say "well Pirates has Sherk 3 opening infront of it" and my rebutle to that is, DVC opened one week before X3, and X3 for a month had the largest opening weekend ever....I think ether largest, or 2nd largest

Erzengel
03-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Actually LS with Memorial Day?

The highest grossing moving opening on a Memorial Day is Finding Nemo and that's at #14.

Highest grossing Memorial Day Weekend gross is X3.

Actually the week before Memorial Day has a better tract record with grosses than Memorial Day (i.e. Star Wars, Shrek 2).

L0ngsh0t
03-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Actually LS with Memorial Day?

The highest grossing moving opening on a Memorial Day is Finding Nemo and that's at #14.

Highest grossing Memorial Day Weekend gross is X3.

Actually the week before Memorial Day has a better tract record with grosses than Memorial Day (i.e. Star Wars, Shrek 2).

Well I wasn't nessecarily saying Memeroial Day is the best, but I was more so saying it was the more prime opening weekend than first weekend of summer, especially recently

Sure Spiderman broke the bank there 5 years ago, but since then its been letdown centeral, not saying SM3 will let down, the other movies that have been letdowns had negitive outside criticism (i.e. MI-3=Tom Cruise, even though that is a solid flick) or like Van Helsing just sucking, where as X3 was pretty subpar yet still managed to have the highest openig weekend ever (until DMC), even with a top 5 grosser opening the week before it (DVC)

and my point with all of this is that AWE could still suck, and monsterously break the bank opening weekend regardless of what opens infront of it (Sherk 3 could gross 350 and it still won't matter for 'this' weekend) because of the popularity of the name recognition, the build up of DMC etc. And if it is as good as Bruckhimer says it is or even 3/4 as good, those are the factors why I think it will be the top grosser of May, and possibley of the year

primemover
03-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Actually 2nd movie made less than the 1st one. And I see box office numbers of Spidey films being closed to Star Wars prequels numbers. First one made more than $400m and had the best profit (Spidey 1 and Episode I), then sequel made less than the previous movie (Spidey 2 and EPisode II), but the last one will make more than sequel, but less than 1st film staying as #2 (Spidey 3 and ROTS).

Nice, find some anecdotal evidence and draw a parrellel.

Maybe it's like the Harry Potter movies instead, where the 2nd movie loses money to the first, and then loses more money on the 3rd. I can do that too.

Darth Elektra
03-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Guys, another major blockbuster has been pushed up to May...

Blood Rayne 2.

Look out AWE and Spiderman 3... Rayne is coming...:ninja:

Mr. Socko
03-14-2007, 07:00 PM
OMG This is going to kill AWE, Spider-Man, and Shrek!

back to seriousness:

I'm expecting Transformers to make around MI:3 numbers.

mcilroga
03-14-2007, 07:03 PM
Sorry, should've added an "as." Spider-Man isn't seen by AS many kids as something like Shrek. Because it's more action-packed, and the young kids don't really understand it so much. It's mainly seen by teens/adults.

Matt
03-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Sorry, should've added an "as." Spider-Man isn't seen by AS many kids as something like Shrek. Because it's more action-packed, and the young kids don't really understand it so much. It's mainly seen by teens/adults.

Thats not even close to true.

mcilroga
03-14-2007, 07:10 PM
Thats not even close to true.

Then feel free to negate. You're telling me that in a theatre showing of Spider-Man, you see more young kids (6, 7, 8, 9 year olds) than teens and adults? Versus something like Shrek? Are you serious?

Erzengel
03-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Well I wasn't nessecarily saying Memeroial Day is the best, but I was more so saying it was the more prime opening weekend than first weekend of summer, especially recently

Not necessarily.

Like I said...top movie opening day is #14 Finding Nemo.

If you are talking first weekend of Summer it's #7 Spiderman.

Out of the rest of the top 14 movies, they fall everywhere else on the Calender.

While Memorial Day does give an extra day at the box office, it's not necessarily a more prime release day than the first week of May.

Actually one of the best weeks is the week before because it carries into Memorial Day.

Golgo-13
03-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Spiderman 3, out of the three you listed is the most kiddie friendly so i say SM. Shrek, eventhough animated, has alot of crude humor in it that alot of parents have issues with...

L0ngsh0t
03-15-2007, 04:10 AM
Not necessarily.

Like I said...top movie opening day is #14 Finding Nemo.

If you are talking first weekend of Summer it's #7 Spiderman.

Out of the rest of the top 14 movies, they fall everywhere else on the Calender.

While Memorial Day does give an extra day at the box office, it's not necessarily a more prime release day than the first week of May.

Actually one of the best weeks is the week before because it carries into Memorial Day.

Look at the past 3 first weekends of summer

MI-3
Troy
Van Helsing

all underpreformed

Galactus
03-15-2007, 04:23 AM

MI-3
Troy
Van Helsing

all underpreformed

Which I think has more to do with the quality of the movie (especially Van Helsing) than the release date. To me it feels just wrong to compare these movies with Spider-Man 3. Spider-Man is the kind of movie that will a lot of money no matter when it's released

Sam Fisher
03-15-2007, 04:27 AM
Sorry, should've added an "as." Spider-Man isn't seen by AS many kids as something like Shrek. Because it's more action-packed, and the young kids don't really understand it so much. It's mainly seen by teens/adults.So I guess kids didn't understand Spidey TAS because it had "action" in it:word:

mcilroga
03-15-2007, 04:40 AM
So I guess kids didn't understand Spidey TAS because it had "action" in it:word:

Why don't you READ what I said. If you noticed, I finished that sentence with a "so much." Not to mention, I gave another reason too. If you're going to sit there and say that kids would be more able to understand Spider-Man versus Shrek, you're nuts.

Sam Fisher
03-15-2007, 04:44 AM
Why don't you READ what I said. If you noticed, I finished that sentence with a "so much." Not to mention, I gave another reason too. If you're going to sit there and say that kids would be more able to understand Spider-Man versus Shrek, you're nuts.Umm, well when I first saw Spidey 1 and 2, there was almost as many kids as Shrek 2.

mcilroga
03-15-2007, 05:15 AM
Umm, well when I first saw Spidey 1 and 2, there was almost as many kids as Shrek 2.

Are you serious? When I saw Spidey 1 & 2, it was loaded with teens/adults as opposed to the 6, 7, 8, 9 year olds. When I took my niece to Shrek, it was loaded with kids and their parents... and a few teens. I'd definitely say that Shrek is more "kid-friendly" than Spider-Man is. For one, it's animated and that appeals to children.

And sorry if I came off as a dick to you in my last post. Today has sucked the big one for me, so it's not personal.

Sam Fisher
03-15-2007, 05:18 AM
Are you serious? When I saw Spidey 1 & 2, they were more loaded with teens/adults as opposed to the 6, 7, 8, 9 year olds. When I took my niece to Shrek, it was loaded with kids and their parents... and a few teens. I'd definitely say that Shrek is more "kid-friendly" than Spider-Man is. For one, it's animated and that appeals to children.

And sorry if I came off as a dick to you in my last post. Today has sucked the big one for me, so it's not personal.True. But as someone already mentioned, Shrek does have a lot of crude humor.

Sam Fisher
03-15-2007, 05:19 AM
Are you serious? When I saw Spidey 1 & 2, it was loaded with teens/adults as opposed to the 6, 7, 8, 9 year olds. When I took my niece to Shrek, it was loaded with kids and their parents... and a few teens. I'd definitely say that Shrek is more "kid-friendly" than Spider-Man is. For one, it's animated and that appeals to children.

And sorry if I came off as a dick to you in my last post. Today has sucked the big one for me, so it's not personal.That's ok. I understand:yay:

mcilroga
03-15-2007, 05:45 AM
True. But as someone already mentioned, Shrek does have a lot of crude humor.

It does, and that's unfortunate. Seems that almost every animated movie today has some crude humor in it. Obviously, it's not that big of a deal to the parents though considering the second Shrek made over $400 million more than the first. :woot:

Downhere
03-15-2007, 06:24 AM
For both Spidey 1 and 2, I went during the day and the place was full of little kids and their parents, which has me thinking this time I will go at night.

Erzengel
03-15-2007, 09:26 AM

MI-3
Troy
Van Helsing

all underpreformed
For the past 3 years on Memorial Day.

Last year was X-3 which did pretty well

The year before that Madagascar and the Longest Yard opened.

But look at the movies for both dates. It's really a question of quality than it is about optimum release date.

I mean is Madgascar and Longest Yard really the same league as Pirates?

My whole point and take at least this from my post, Memorial Day like July 4th gives an extra day with grosses. People tend to go more to movies to give it it's extra day, however, it's the quality of the movie not the release date that determines success.

L0ngsh0t
03-15-2007, 11:03 AM
For the past 3 years on Memorial Day.

Last year was X-3 which did pretty well

The year before that Madagascar and the Longest Yard opened.

But look at the movies for both dates. It's really a question of quality than it is about optimum release date.

I mean is Madgascar and Longest Yard really the same league as Pirates?

My whole point and take at least this from my post, Memorial Day like July 4th gives an extra day with grosses. People tend to go more to movies to give it it's extra day, however, it's the quality of the movie not the release date that determines success.

In a 95 percent agreement

a few points

Madagascar and Longest Yard, while neither grossed anything specia both, however, grossed more than 60 million each, which is alot of money for 2 movies

X3, we can argue the quality all we want, I think it kind of sucks but what they where trying to do worked for me, but that still made 120 or whatever

I agree Pirates has to be a good movie to beat Spidey in the b.o. but I think it defintaley has the more favorable head start

which I mean we can say Spidey has to be good to beat AWE, there is no doubt in my mind ether will suck, but they still both have to be good if they wish to beat their dueling partner

L0ngsh0t
03-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Which I think has more to do with the quality of the movie (especially Van Helsing) than the release date. To me it feels just wrong to compare these movies with Spider-Man 3. Spider-Man is the kind of movie that will a lot of money no matter when it's released

I agree they are not in its league

but all three especially MI-3, and Troy had a consideral amount of hype around them, and you would think with that kind of hype their opening weekedn would have actually been good, but nither grossed more than 50

i don't expect Spidey to suffer the same, but when I think Pirates might gross 125ish in its favorable opening weekend (i.e. extra day, kids out of school) I think Spidey will be around 110ish

Erzengel
03-15-2007, 11:16 AM
MI-3 could have had a better gross that week I honestly think Cruise f'ed himself on that one. Which is pretty much why we haven't seen hide nor hair of him recently.

But you seem to keep going back to Memorial Day is the coveted spot of the Summer when history proves there's no really such thing.

First Week of May, First Week of June, Second Week of June, Memorial Day, Week before Memorial Day, July 4th have all had huge releases.

Cinemaman
03-15-2007, 03:03 PM
I have a couple points for you CM, I'm interested to see what you have to say about my rebutle to you:woot:

Okay

1. Spidermans release date; First summer blockbuster is not nearly as strong as Memeorial Days, especially recently, I think if Memorial Day movie wheren't an established franchise like Pirates it wouldn't matter much, but it is
1a. First blockbuster/Memorial day breakdown

Last year MI-3 50 mill vs Xmen-wasn't it over 100? something obsered like that, and MI-3 was much better imo

there where others I have posted a while back, I have class and need to hurry lol

1b. Spiderman is released when kids, and college students (the big return buisness demographic) are in school

2. Marketing; I agree Spidermans currently is far superior, but come May what really matters? That people knew about it last January, or People know about it+plus an awesome trailer in April/May?
2a. When ya break it down, if AWE trailer is awesome, and all over ABC, Disney Channel, and ESPN(Companies owned by Disney) it won't really matter

3. Fan Base=Spiderman has a better core fan base, but general movie going audeinces will go to both it all depends on who goes to what more

4. 2 weeks without any competition-Pirates can say the exact same thing, they have a whole second week without anyone major, it isn't till the 13 that Oceans 13 comes out
4a. You will say "well Pirates has Sherk 3 opening infront of it" and my rebutle to that is, DVC opened one week before X3, and X3 for a month had the largest opening weekend ever....I think ether largest, or 2nd largest

I say we will find out who's right.

Actually, it was Cruise, he killed all hype for this movie talking every time about psychiatry.

But I don't think school will stop teens to see such blockbuster as Spidey 3. And what about students, they always can find time for this during weekends.

I doubt it's good way of promotion plan. While Sony was promoting Spidey 3 over the year, Disney lost their time with unfinished post-production. Besides, as I said people had been waiting for Spidey 3 since 2004, what gives it the another advantage.

Yep, teen girls will go to see POTC3, that's 100%. But I think mcomic book fans and guys of the age 13-23 will spend their time seeing Spidey.

Agreed, but most of people didn't think that sequel had been beeter than the 1st one, and this can really hurt the potential of AWE (again, The Matrix sequels). if it has good WOM and nice legs, it will make high numbers. But if not, then... well, you know what will happen.

I am sure POTC3 beat Shrek 3, but I doubt it will have make more than Spidey 3. That's just my guess.

Please, don't think I am Spidey fanboy (I haven't been in Spidey boards for 2 months and I post there very rarely), though I still like (not love, but like) Spidey films. I just think it will be #1 in domestic top.

FaT_tONle
03-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Pirates made a fatal mistake... its still gonna make money... but absolutely no reason at all to release this movie this soon... it could be crap... 2009 would have been logical and well worth the wait... its still gonna do 380 million plus so no worries

alfonzo
03-15-2007, 06:27 PM

MI-3
Troy
Van Helsing

all underpreformed

I dont know what opened the first weekend of may in 2005, but it wasn't Troy. That came out in 2004, the same year as Van Helsing, one weekend later.

Just throwing it out there.

Spidey-Bat
03-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Shrek. Wider audience and shorter running length.

Mr. Socko
03-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Pirates made a fatal mistake... its still gonna make money... but absolutely no reason at all to release this movie this soon... it could be crap... 2009 would have been logical and well worth the wait... its still gonna do 380 million plus so no worries

Are you mad?

Did a simultaneous yearly release stop LOTR from making money?

Answer that then get back to me....

L0ngsh0t
03-16-2007, 05:05 AM
I say we will find out who's right.

Actually, it was Cruise, he killed all hype for this movie talking every time about psychiatry.

But I don't think school will stop teens to see such blockbuster as Spidey 3. And what about students, they always can find time for this during weekends.

I doubt it's good way of promotion plan. While Sony was promoting Spidey 3 over the year, Disney lost their time with unfinished post-production. Besides, as I said people had been waiting for Spidey 3 since 2004, what gives it the another advantage.

Yep, teen girls will go to see POTC3, that's 100%. But I think mcomic book fans and guys of the age 13-23 will spend their time seeing Spidey.

Agreed, but most of people didn't think that sequel had been beeter than the 1st one, and this can really hurt the potential of AWE (again, The Matrix sequels). if it has good WOM and nice legs, it will make high numbers. But if not, then... well, you know what will happen.

I am sure POTC3 beat Shrek 3, but I doubt it will have make more than Spidey 3. That's just my guess.

Please, don't think I am Spidey fanboy (I haven't been in Spidey boards for 2 months and I post there very rarely), though I still like (not love, but like) Spidey films. I just think it will be #1 in domestic top.

I am ending the Pirates Matrix comparions now

A. Reloded is a very solid movie for startes

B. Even so, Reloded didn't have 1/3 the legs DMC had

C. Revolutions sucked on its own, it wasn't Relodeds fault it underpreformed at the box office, if it where anywhere close to being good it would have done better itself

AWE will have an opening weekend based off of the fan base of the first 2 movies which is huge, but its legs will come from how good of a movie it is

TheVileOne
03-16-2007, 05:10 AM
Anyone know why they aren't releasing any trailers or teasers for Pirates 3 at all?

Sam Fisher
03-16-2007, 06:04 AM
Anyone know why they aren't releasing any trailers or teasers for Pirates 3 at all?March 19th

And Reloaded is not better than DMC. All Reloaded had was action. And pointless sex scene.

L0ngsh0t
03-16-2007, 11:51 AM
March 19th

And Reloaded is not better than DMC. All Reloaded had was action. And pointless sex scene.

totally agree, but i still don't think reloaded is that bad ether

TheVileOne
03-16-2007, 12:17 PM
March 19th

That's only 2 months before the movie comes out. That's ridiculous for a movie of Pirates 3's caliber.

hippie_hunter
03-16-2007, 12:39 PM
1. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
2. Spider-Man 3
3. Shrek the Third
4. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
5. Ratatouille
6. Live Free or Die Hard
7. Transformers
8. Oceans Thirteen
9. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
10. The Simpsons Movie

L0ngsh0t
03-16-2007, 12:57 PM
2. Spider-Man 3
3. Shrek the Third
5. Ratatouille
6. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
7. Live Free or Die Hard
8. Transformers
9. The Bourne Ultimatum
10. The Simpsons Movie

I garuntee this is incorrect

Transformers will be top 5

X-Chick
03-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Spider-Man will be the top grosser, just like all the Marvels usually are. Fantastic 4 will come in second, probably followed by Harry Potter or POTC, then maybe Shrek and Transformers.

L0ngsh0t
03-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Spider-Man will be the top grosser, just like all the Marvels usually are. Fantastic 4 will come in second, probably followed by Harry Potter or POTC, then maybe Shrek and Transformers.

I gaurntee you FF2 won't make 1/3 what POTC, Harry Potter, and Sherk do

Those three on their own will make more than FF1, and 2 combined

X-Chick
03-16-2007, 01:28 PM
I gaurntee you FF2 won't make 1/3 what POTC, Harry Potter, and Sherk do

Those three on their own will make more than FF1, and 2 combined

I find that doubtful, but whatever you say. Harry Potter always does well at the box office, but it doesn't do Spider-Man well. Shrek I don't really know about. I haven't seen it advertised at all really. And POTC lost some of its fan following with the second one. And Marvel has a reputation for box office smashing.

hippie_hunter
03-16-2007, 01:44 PM
I garuntee this is incorrect

Transformers will be top 5

I'm going to adjust it a little bit. But I don't think that Transformers will be in the top 5.

hippie_hunter
03-16-2007, 01:48 PM
I find that doubtful, but whatever you say. Harry Potter always does well at the box office, but it doesn't do Spider-Man well. Shrek I don't really know about. I haven't seen it advertised at all really. And POTC lost some of its fan following with the second one. And Marvel has a reputation for box office smashing.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets made more than Spider-Man at the box office. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban made more than Spider-Man 2 at the box office.

No Harry Potter movie has been below #2 as the highest grossing movie of the year. Both Spider-Man movies have been #3.

L0ngsh0t
03-16-2007, 01:48 PM

I never said anything about Spiderman, that is almost a lock to be in the top 3, worst case scenario it is 4th

the fact that you think FF2 will gross more than Harry Potter, Pirates, and Sherk 3 is the most out of touch opinion I have ever herd

FF1 made 300 million dollars worldwide, and was lambasted by critcs(although I do like it) Pirates, Sherk, and Harry Potter have all had movie make 300 million dollars in the US alone, I mean it when I say it FF2 might barely gross 1/3 the totaly gross of the other 3

X-Chick
03-16-2007, 01:50 PM
Oh, you're probably right then. Honestly, I was just making a guess.

L0ngsh0t
03-16-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm going to adjust it a little bit. But I don't think that Transformers will be in the top 5.

Okay that is fair

Tho I will garuntee Transformers makes more than Die Hard and FF2

My perdiction is

1. Pirates
2. Harry Potter
3. Spiderman
4. Transformers
5. Sherk
6. Rush Hour
7. Die Hard
8. Surf's Up (animated penguin surfing moving, penguins+animation=money)
9. Ratatoullie (however it's spelt)
10. 300/Saw 4/ I am Legend/ FF2

hippie_hunter
03-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Okay that is fair

Tho I will garuntee Transformers makes more than Die Hard and FF2

My perdiction is

1. Pirates
2. Harry Potter
3. Spiderman
4. Transformers
5. Sherk
6. Rush Hour
7. Die Hard
8. Surf's Up (animated penguin surfing moving, penguins+animation=money)
9. Ratatoullie (however it's spelt)
10. 300/Saw 4/ I am Legend/ FF2

I think it's a toss up between Die Hard and Transformers. I put Die Hard on top simply because it's Die Hard.

I put Ratatouille in the top 5 because it's a Pixar movie and no Pixar movie has been out of the top 5 range.

Tempest19
03-17-2007, 07:25 PM
I still don't understand this Harry Potter reasoning. I've heard fans say that it's the worst book- which by itself doesn't bode well for the movie. And in 2004 both SM2 and S2 got more money than the HP film that year... domestically, I don't know about worldwide-

Those saying HP are you thinking domestic or worldwide?

Because the HP, SM, and S competition already took place back in 2004.

Sugarculted
03-17-2007, 07:47 PM
2. Spider-Man 3
3. Shrek the Third
5. Ratatouille
6. Live Free or Die Hard
7. Transformers
8. Oceans Thirteen
9. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
10. The Simpsons Movie

Even though I haven't enjoyed the Simpsons for a very, very long time now...I think The Simpsons Movie will do extremely well. Regardless of how I'm not enjoying the shows anymore, The Simpsons could probably make more than Ocean's Thirteen, Die Hard, or even Ratatouille.

I mean, it's the Simpsons...

DieSmiling
03-17-2007, 08:30 PM
I think Transformers will be in the top three.

I think at least one of these will be a big letdown at the boxoffice.

Darth Elektra
03-18-2007, 12:52 AM
You can see the AWE trailer in the POTC: AWE thread.

:woot:

L0ngsh0t
03-18-2007, 03:58 AM
Yes we have a trailer for AWE

there is no question in my mind which will be the best movie

and because of that, I think that will translate into it being the top grosser

I_Hate_U_All
03-18-2007, 04:51 AM
Longshot, I usually think you're a jackass, but this time I'm utterly compelled to agree. That trailer kicked ass and the movie will most likely do the same

Cmill216
03-18-2007, 11:25 AM

W....T....F?

Spider-Man Franchise: $777,230,860 (Domestic) $1,605,630,860 (Worldwide)

Shrek Franchise: $704,373,719 (Domestic) $1,403,773,719 (Worldwide)

My issue with Cinemaman's prediction is the outrageous 140 million opening weekend for Spider-man.

There's nothing outrageous about that. It's entirely possible.

Cinemaman
03-18-2007, 11:36 AM
I have just seen POTC3 trailer. All I can say is there wasn't anything amazing for me. That's true, I tried to compare Spidey 3 trailer with POTC3 and sure you know which one is better. It looks like Disney don't understand how can it influence on their movie's success.

Cinemaman
03-18-2007, 11:40 AM
W....T....F?

Spider-Man Franchise: $777,230,860 (Domestic) $1,605,630,860 (Worldwide)

Shrek Franchise: $704,373,719 (Domestic) $1,403,773,719 (Worldwide)

There's nothing outrageous about that. It's entirely possible.

You see, Matt thinks that my predictions for Spidey 3 are similar to SR (and that's isn't true), so that's why he doesn't want to agree with me. He thinks I am another wierd fan boy, but it's just my guess.

Hunter Rider
03-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Well Ive now seen the POTC:AWE trailer(Albeit in poor picture quality and in Russian)and while i am no more certain on which of the 3 will win I do know personally that trailer excited me more than anything Ive seen from SM3 or Shrek 3.

Cmill216
03-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Well Ive now seen the POTC:AWE trailer(Albeit in poor picture quality and in Russian)and while i am no more certain on which of the 3 will win I do know personally that trailer excited me more than anything Ive seen from SM3 or Shrek 3.

I think everything before the minute and a half mark was pretty standard "meh" Pirates fair, but that last half or so was fantastic.

Can't say I'm more excited about Pirates over SM3, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Sentinel X
03-18-2007, 12:39 PM

What could be really interesting is the possible fall out brought on by this summer. This is a summer where you have 12 huge budget block busters going head to head. Imagine if a good number of them all put up subpar numbers. I wonder with the success of 300 (70 million on some boring weekend in March) this could lead to a more spread out film schedule throughout the year instead of studios just cramming blockbusters into the summer?Seriously, I dont know what people are thinking. For instance I think a POTC movie would work perfectly in the winter season..as would Shrek 3 nd FF2. Not so much SM3 but it could do pretty good in spring. If some of these big blockbusters were released at different seasons, Im pretty sure theyd be able to pull off a ton of money

Anyone know why they aren't releasing any trailers or teasers for Pirates 3 at all?
This a major reason why I think POTC 3 wont do as good as SM3 or Shrek 3. They have probably the worse marketing plan I've seen for such a big blockbuster. There hasn't been a teaser trailer yet and no one really knows when its even coming out b/c of lack of advertisement. SM3s marketing has been amazing so far and Shrek 3 has at least realeased 2 trailers.
But I wouldn't be too surprised if one of the smaller big blockbusters (Transformers, Ratoullie, FF2) beat one of these big three or become the box office king for that matter

Gonking
03-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Spider-Man 3

L0ngsh0t
03-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Longshot, I usually think you're a jackass, but this time I'm utterly compelled to agree. That trailer kicked ass and the movie will most likely do the same

the reason some usually think i am a jackass is cause i tell it like i feel like its gunna be, and then once the trailer comes out i tell it like i see it...now that we have a trailer, its not like I am firing blanks, and more people will agree that AWE looks like it is gunna be the coolest movie of the year

Sentinel X
03-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Okay I hate POTC but the new trailer I saw looked pretty cool...esp Jack's fight with Davy Jones on top of the sail. but I still dont know if Ill check it out, I didnt really like the first two...especially the 2nd

Tempest19
03-18-2007, 02:36 PM
To me- SM3 kicks POTC3's ass....

BUT- I can see that, thank god, Disney didn't repeat the trash that was POTC2. And actually, hopefully, went back to what made POTC1 good-

And Longshot- you're still not saying how you came to one of the most ridiculous ideas ever- that HP would be #1.... how the hell would that happen? Especially given that S & SM already beat it in 2004.

L0ngsh0t
03-18-2007, 02:51 PM
To me- SM3 kicks POTC3's ass....

BUT- I can see that, thank god, Disney didn't repeat the trash that was POTC2. And actually, hopefully, went back to what made POTC1 good-

And Longshot- you're still not saying how you came to one of the most ridiculous ideas ever- that HP would be #1.... how the hell would that happen? Especially given that S & SM already beat it in 2004.

HP has a mad fan base, the last one, and all of them did great buisiness, I think the cluter of May possibley could keep both SM and POTC from running the tables, and HP is released in the very generous spot it is

Honestly I don't know how you can watch that trailer and legitimately say SM3 kicks POTC3's ass

I sure as hell am cool with you thinking SM is better than POTC, but com'on if the DJ/Sparrow sword fight didn't immediatley make you all hyped up there has to be something wrong with you

To me-POTC3 looks cooler than SM3, but if SM3 where released in any other year it would probably be easily my favorite

Orko Is King
03-18-2007, 02:52 PM
I dunno. A lot pf people were disappointed in POTC 2. I say it's down to Shrek and Spidey.

L0ngsh0t
03-18-2007, 03:00 PM
I dunno. A lot pf people were disappointed in POTC 2. I say it's down to Shrek and Spidey.

this is incorrect

A lot of people don't think it is better than the first, but that does not mean it was a dissapointment; some think it is crap, but they represent under 10 percent of the people who will go to AWE, and they will still probably go anyways

I think it is great, just not better than the first, the general reaction I have got from people is it is between good and great(like between a 6-8), just not better than the first, with the minorities on polar ends (like few think it is below a 3, and few think it is above a 9) regardless of all these numbers, the fact of the matter is there are few people who completely hated it, and out of those people there are few of those who will completely not go to AWE. So the business won't be affected

Tempest19
03-18-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm a hardcore Venom and Spidey fan.

I immensely hated POTC2 to a degree that words aren't even enough.

The only cool parts in the trailer is the sea battles, which has been seen before- although here it's taken to a more science fiction level (ship battles like this have been seen before, but granted not as huge in scale). So, personally I don't know how you can legitimately say that the trailer is better.... but, you are a die hard Pirates fan (obviously) whereas I'm a die hard Spidey fan. So, we are both beyond biasness. And that you can't deny-

As I said, I am more excited than I was- but I'm still skeptical- because the POTC2 trailer was good as well but the movie turned out to be cheesy as hell and almost made me puke at how much they ruined the greatness of POTC1. So, I'm still skeptical about POTC3- but, I am having a higher level of hope that it could be good.... you have to understand, after the abomination of POTC2 I am skeptical of all things POTC. So, I'm more excited for POTC3- but I remain skeptical.

As for HP, I still don't see it- I mean, look at 2004 box office (domestic at least), Shrek and Spidey already kicked Harry's ass. So, I still don't understand why you put it at #1... sure, it has an easy release area- but, I don't see it being a radically different outcome than what happened in 2004.

L0ngsh0t
03-18-2007, 03:23 PM
HP has 2 of the 10 highest grossing movies ever, SM only has 1

Cinemaman
03-18-2007, 03:24 PM
this is incorrect

A lot of people don't think it is better than the first, but that does not mean it was a dissapointment; some think it is crap, but they represent under 10 percent of the people who will go to AWE, and they will still probably go anyways

I think it is great, just not better than the first, the general reaction I have got from people is it is between good and great(like between a 6-8), just not better than the first, with the minorities on polar ends (like few think it is below a 3, and few think it is above a 9) regardless of all these numbers, the fact of the matter is there are few people who completely hated it, and out of those people there are few of those who will completely not go to AWE. So the business won't be affected

People were expecting sequel to be better first movie. It wasn't so, what means disappointment for most of auidience, which saw it.

Cinemaman
03-18-2007, 03:25 PM
HP has 2 of the 10 highest grossing movies ever, SM only has 1

HP has 4 movies and Spidey only 2 (if we don't count 3rd one).

Cinemaman
03-18-2007, 03:29 PM
HP has a mad fan base, the last one, and all of them did great buisiness, I think the cluter of May possibley could keep both SM and POTC from running the tables, and HP is released in the very generous spot it is

Honestly I don't know how you can watch that trailer and legitimately say SM3 kicks POTC3's ass

I sure as hell am cool with you thinking SM is better than POTC, but com'on if the DJ/Sparrow sword fight didn't immediatley make you all hyped up there has to be something wrong with you

To me-POTC3 looks cooler than SM3, but if SM3 where released in any other year it would probably be easily my favorite

Don't forget, Spidey fanbase>>>HP fanbase.

Even though HP5 is going to be released in July, it will still have competition (TF and new Pixar film). The worst HP movie (in BO meaning) was POA, which got released in summer.

Just watch Spidey 3 trailers (including teaser-trailer, full trailer, 7-minute preview and new Venom trailer).

There'll be Battle Royale in Spidey 3, which is going to be the best movie fight of this year (think about it, Spidey & Harry vs. Sandman and Venom).

L0ngsh0t
03-18-2007, 03:34 PM
I think you are pretty dillusional if you think that Spiderman has a more rabid and bigger fan base then harry potter

there is no contest between kids, and a very little contest between everyone else Harry Potter is medium god right now, eveything it touches turns to gold

Spiderman are great movies, and because of that they make a tone of money, but Harry Potter probably has the biggest fan base of any active franchise right now

And we've seen nothing of this Battle Roayle, and we've seen enough of the final fight in Pirates, I garuntee Pirates is superior

and who really thinks Venom and Sandman will team up, what will ether of them (especailly Sandman) have to benifit from fighting with each other

Hunter Rider
03-18-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm not a hardcore fanboy and i can honestly say ive never felt the urge to watch any of the SM3 footage more than once,each trailer ive watched,thought looked cool and deleted it,the POTC:AWE trailer is still on my desktop in crappy format and ive watched it 3 times already.

Hunter Rider
03-18-2007, 03:40 PM
And we've seen nothing of this Battle Roayle, and we've seen enough of the final fight in Pirates, I garuntee Pirates is superior

That's the fanboy talking.

and who really thinks Venom and Sandman will team up, what will ether of them (especailly Sandman) have to benifit from fighting with each other

It is true,that's been known for quite some time.

BMM
03-18-2007, 03:41 PM
July could be Harry Potter madness with the release of the fifth movie followed by the release of the highly anticipated final book one week later.

Tempest19
03-18-2007, 03:42 PM
Spider-Man and Shrek ALREADY beat Harry Potter at box office as I keep on saying and you keep on ignoring- look at 2004. The battle between those franchises already played out and domestically HP never even made close to those two.

L0ngsh0t
03-18-2007, 03:44 PM
People were expecting sequel to be better first movie. It wasn't so, what means disappointment for most of auidience, which saw it.

in my opinion (this is my opinion but i am stating it to make a point about sequels and dissapointments) SM2 is more of the letdown to SM1, than DMC is to Curse, but in saying that, I wasn't dissapointed with ether, both are fantastic movies, and are in my top 50, possibley top 30, but there is just something about that first time, that nostalgic feel that generally can't be replaced even with the mightey Empire Strikes Back it is possibley the best movie ever, but there is still that feeling that it doesn't duplicate of the originality of the, well original

I think both 3's have the infinate potential to be 2 of the best movies ever, because making a 2 work is always hard, but once you do the 3 is easy, cause in 1 the characters are introduced, 2 story defined, 3 is the pay off

3's that didn't work like Revolutions failed to pay off, 3's that did work (Jedi, and the great Sith) Payed off everything the other 2 had built

Cinemaman
03-18-2007, 03:46 PM
I think you are pretty dillusional if you think that Spiderman has a more rabid and bigger fan base then harry potter

there is no contest between kids, and a very little contest between everyone else Harry Potter is medium god right now, eveything it touches turns to gold

Spiderman are great movies, and because of that they make a tone of money, but Harry Potter probably has the biggest fan base of any active franchise right now

Spidey has always been a hero for kids, I doubt you'll find anybody under 20, who wouldn't go to see 3rd film.

Why should we see anything in BR? Sony don't wnat to show everything from their film, it will ruin the potential of their movie.

Read novel book, it's already released ;)

L0ngsh0t
03-18-2007, 03:46 PM
That's the fanboy talking.

it's the fan boy talking

Hunter Rider
03-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Cyrus if you want to give your opinion learn to do it like the rest here in a non insulting fashion.

L0ngsh0t
03-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Spidey has always been a hero for kids, I doubt you'll find anybody under 20, who wouldn't go to see 3rd film.

Why should we see anything in BR? Sony don't wnat to show everything from their film, it will ruin the potential of their movie.

Read novel book, it's already released ;)

that is a point beyond arguing, cause you can make it for SM3, POTC3, HP5, and Sherk 3

everyone has seen all of these movies, why wouldn't they go see the third?

Ok, so if you've read the novel answer this question for me, cause it really makes no sense what is the reason Venom and Sandman team up? Outside of destroying peter parker, which sandman shouldn't really even care about, SM just gets in his way when he tries to rob ****, I see no gain for him especially

BMM
03-18-2007, 03:50 PM
I would prefer to see Spider-Man 3 be the frontrunner of these three installments, as I guess I've enjoyed the Spider-Man franchise as a whole more than either POTC or Shrek.

I don't care much for Shrek... and while I liked The Curse of the Black Pearl, Dead Man's Chest just felt like excess/unnecessary filler.

Cinemaman
03-18-2007, 03:50 PM
in my opinion (this is my opinion but i am stating it to make a point about sequels and dissapointments) SM2 is more of the letdown to SM1, than DMC is to Curse, but in saying that, I wasn't dissapointed with ether, both are fantastic movies, and are in my top 50, possibley top 30, but there is just something about that first time, that nostalgic feel that generally can't be replaced even with the mightey Empire Strikes Back it is possibley the best movie ever, but there is still that feeling that it doesn't duplicate of the originality of the, well original

I think both 3's have the infinate potential to be 2 of the best movies ever, because making a 2 work is always hard, but once you do the 3 is easy, cause in 1 the characters are introduced, 2 story defined, 3 is the pay off

3's that didn't work like Revolutions failed to pay off, 3's that did work (Jedi, and the great Sith) Payed off everything the other 2 had built

DMC is better than Spidey 2? :eek: :rolleyes: :up:

Spidey 3 looks like example of both successful summer blockbuster and qulity movie. I have seen only one trailer POTC3, but it was enough for me to make sure that beside usual pirate dialogue lines and action scenes, there's nothing what would make sense.

Hunter Rider
03-18-2007, 03:54 PM

I liked DMC better than SM2

Spidey 3 looks like example of both successful summer blockbuster and qulity movie. I have seen only one trailer POTC3, but it was enough for me to make sure that beside usual pirate dialogue lines and action scenes, there's nothing what would make sense.
Sense is the wrong word Cine,for instance it's clear even in Russian what the plot is and as far as the action goes it looked spectacular IMO

Tempest19
03-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Longshot take a look at this:

2004 Box Office (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2004&p=.htm)

And try to tell me why you think it would change so much as to make HP a possible #1.

Cinemaman
03-18-2007, 03:57 PM
that is a point beyond arguing, cause you can make it for SM3, POTC3, HP5, and Sherk 3

Ok, so if you've read the novel answer this question for me, cause it really makes no sense what is the reason Venom and Sandman team up? Outside of destroying peter parker, which sandman shouldn't really even care about, SM just gets in his way when he tries to rob ****, I see no gain for him especially

My point is that people go to see film, which would be good to everyone. Of course Spidey 3 isn't perfect film (there is no perfect one), but it looks like the best one among other blockbusters IMO.

Did I say that I had it? No, but tehre's some posters in Spidey boars, which read it and the details, which I heard impressed me. I guess Brock understand how hard is it to beat SPidey, so that' why he needs someone, who would make all work for him, but left Spidey almost weaked, so it would make for Venom easy to end up the fight.

You know, some directors like Raimi or Nolan can't make action scenes just because they should be there. They try to find the reason, why this or another scene is necessary.

L0ngsh0t
03-18-2007, 03:58 PM

I'm arguing semantics here but yes, I think DMC is like a 8.5, and SM2 like an 8

I don't think it completely destroys SM2, but I liked it better enough to say I like it better

In comparison I think Curse is like a 9.9, and SM1, like a 9.7; so if anyone thinks I have a mega biased, you are wrong, I have a biased, but a very slight one, both franchises are excellent up to this point in my book, I just don't see sweet Pirate movies any more, and there are a slew of very good superhero movies out, and that is probably where the slight edge to Pirates goes

Cinemaman
03-18-2007, 04:01 PM
I liked DMC better than SM2

Sense is the wrong word Cine,for instance it's clear even in Russian what the plot is and as far as the action goes it looked spectacular IMO

That's your opinion.

For me, it was nothing, but exactly what I saw in DMC. Disney had their chance to prove the quality of POTC3 with the help of marketing. They used it, but not in the best way.

And BTW, don't you think that I need some rest? It's just not so friendly, when two guys argue with only one.

L0ngsh0t
03-18-2007, 04:01 PM

And try to tell me why you think it would change so much as to make HP a possible #1.

Becuase many (not myself) consider Prisoner of Azkaban the weakest HP movie to date

the most recent one, which is the first one some of my friends who didn't like the others cause they where to kiddie movies started to like i.e. the appeal is growing to more adults no as the themes and stories get more serious, GOF out grossed both SM1, and SM2 If I am right, 892 million, that easily outgrosses 2, and I believe it out gross SM1

Cyrusbales
03-18-2007, 04:05 PM

That is why I don't want to see POTC3, after seeing the the first, i was reasonalby interested in the second, but lost all hope upon seeing it, many share this view.

Shrek 1 was ok, shrek 2 was ghastly, so makes me not want to see the third.

SM was great, so went to see SM2, which was not as good, but still copiable, however the set ups are there to make me want to watch the third, having seen the trailers and hearing about choice of villains etc, it has me and many others hyped!

Hunter, I understand your point about my statement, perhaps it was a little agressive, but the writing in POTC2 was bad and made the entire activites of the sequel so glaringly obvious, I would b surprised if anyone didn't know the entire narrative and how it links together from seeing DMC.

I apologize for my previous tone, but film is something I feel strongly about, so when people are happy being fed basic things, it bugs me. If people don't demand more, then we end up with rubbish, because they can get away with it:(

Tempest19
03-18-2007, 04:05 PM
Also, from what I heard- someone said they know someone who has read the book as well- that the HP book of the upcoming film is actually the weakest of the books thus far... so, I think that may carry into the film as well-

Hunter Rider
03-18-2007, 04:08 PM
For me, it was nothing, but exactly what I saw in DMC. Disney had their chance to prove the quality of POTC3 with the help of marketing. They used it, but not in the best way.

Pretty much how i feel about SM3 with more of the same in all the cliche' areas

And BTW, don't you think that I need some rest? It's just not so friendly, when two guys argue with only one.I'm not arguing just making friendly debate:cwink:

BMM
03-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Also, from what I heard- someone said they know someone who has read the book as well- that the HP book of the upcoming film is actually the weakest of the books thus far... so, I think that may carry into the film as well-

I can see that. The Order of The Phoenix is more of a setup of things to come... so that may definitely factor into its performance.

Hunter Rider
03-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Hunter, I understand your point about my statement, perhaps it was a little agressive, but the writing in POTC2 was bad and made the entire activites of the sequel so glaringly obvious, I would b surprised if anyone didn't know the entire narrative and how it links together from seeing DMC.

I apologize for my previous tone, but film is something I feel strongly about, so when people are happy being fed basic things, it bugs me. If people don't demand more, then we end up with rubbish, because they can get away with it:(

I thought you got it Cyrus until i read these bolded parts.you need to understand that people enjoy things you don't and that your opinion is merely yours and thus learn how to present it that way.

Cinemaman
03-18-2007, 04:14 PM
Pretty much how i feel about SM3 with more of the same in all the cliche' areas

I'm not arguing just making friednly debate:cwink:

That's the matter of opinions. Yeah, there were cliche lines, but not as much as were in POTC3 (for example "And they all will die").

I didn't mean it seriously or should have I put a smile? :)

Hunter Rider
03-18-2007, 04:19 PM
That's the matter of opinions. Yeah, there were cliche lines, but not as much as were in POTC3 (for example "And they all will die").

I didn't mean it seriously or should have I put a smile? :)

I wasn't meaning the lines:cwink:

It's cool Cine:cwink:

L0ngsh0t
03-18-2007, 04:21 PM
That is why I don't want to see POTC3, after seeing the the first, i was reasonalby interested in the second, but lost all hope upon seeing it, many share this view.

Shrek 1 was ok, shrek 2 was ghastly, so makes me not want to see the third.

SM was great, so went to see SM2, which was not as good, but still copiable, however the set ups are there to make me want to watch the third, having seen the trailers and hearing about choice of villains etc, it has me and many others hyped!

I was more so stating that as a generality

All these movies are gunna do insane business cause well, they are all movies that millions of people enjoy, pretty much I don't think sherk is gunna win cause it has the narrowest demographic of all of them, but between POTC, HP, and SM3, quote me on this they will all make over 800 mill ww, and they will all rock, but I figure wich ever is the best will end up making the most, which imo right now looks to be POTC3

And cryus we are never gunna see the same on movies, I think all the indie and forgien films you cite as examples of where big budget movies suck in comparison are most of the time booty movies in themseleves, more proud of the fact that they aren't a big budget movie, than they are of the fact they could actually make a decent movie out of the bit; they pride them selves on not selling out, when all they are doing is in direct contradiction of what they claime they don't do, and that is they are selling out to the fact that there is a crowed for these types of movies and if they can sell it to those people (just like any competitent big budget movie does) they can completley cash in...I like some of them, but I don't see most of them as being better movies than the ones in question (SM, Harry Potter, and Pirates')

In saying that how can you possibely say we POTC3 looks really cliche, and we know everything that is gunna happen...granted we probably do, but when you are excited for a movie that everyone knows how every frame of the movie is going to happen

SM3 is gunna play out just like the other 2

Bad guy(s) come to town

everything becomes a mess for peter, cause they couldn't come at a worse time

he fights baddies; he loses

his love interest(s) get annoyed with this game he plays

he wished he never had the powers he was given

he realizes that with great power comes great responsiblilty

he over comes and beats the baddies

if that is wrong I will never question you again, but I garuntee that is pretty close to what is going to happen

Cyrusbales
03-18-2007, 04:22 PM
I thought you got it Cyrus until i read these bolded parts.you need to understand that people enjoy things you don't and that your opinion is merely yours and thus learn how to present it that way.

Take this example, Ghost rider, people are saying "it's an OK popcorn flick."

But don't we want much better than a popcorn flick? Shouldn't we say, "hold on, we deserve better" then we get a great movie instead?

I think people sell themselves short, no-one is saying(even the fan's) that DMC is a perfect movie, so where is the harm in demanding more?

Not too mention the fun of baiting you:cwink:

Cinemaman
03-18-2007, 04:23 PM
I wasn't meaning the lines:cwink:

It's cool Cine:cwink:

Then what do you mean?

Hunter Rider
03-18-2007, 04:25 PM

But don't we want much better than a popcorn flick? Shouldn't we say, "hold on, we deserve better" then we get a great movie instead?

I think people sell themselves short, no-one is saying(even the fan's) that DMC is a perfect movie, so where is the harm in demanding more?

There are plenty of ppl on here that also said they loved GR and DMC so it's not a good example,there are views on both sides you just need to be more respectful.

Baiting me isn't such a good idea

Cinemaman

Damn, you are right about such s*** as GR. Directors gor really lazy with their ideas. But still, it doesn't mean mainstream should become the second art house (lets be honest with this).

Tempest19
Well, Peter never questions his powers- he questions his choice of using the powers... now it's just time to have fun.

As a joke on set:

"With great power, comes great fun."

Cmill216
03-18-2007, 04:26 PM

Bad guy(s) come to town

if that is wrong I will never question you again, but I garuntee that is pretty close to what is going to happen

:dry:

No.

Cyrusbales
03-18-2007, 04:29 PM
I was more so stating that as a generality

All these movies are gunna do insane business cause well, they are all movies that millions of people enjoy, pretty much I don't think sherk is gunna win cause it has the narrowest demographic of all of them, but between POTC, HP, and SM3, quote me on this they will all make over 800 mill ww, and they will all rock, but I figure wich ever is the best will end up making the most, which imo right now looks to be POTC3

And cryus we are never gunna see the same on movies, I think all the indie and forgien films you cite as examples of where big budget movies suck in comparison are most of the time booty movies in themseleves, more proud of the fact that they aren't a big budget movie, than they are of the fact they could actually make a decent movie out of the bit; they pride them selves on not selling out, when all they are doing is in direct contradiction of what they claime they don't do, and that is they are selling out to the fact that there is a crowed for these types of movies and if they can sell it to those people (just like any competitent big budget movie does) they can completley cash in...I like some of them, but I don't see most of them as being better movies than the ones in question (SM, Harry Potter, and Pirates')

In saying that how can you possibely say we POTC3 looks really cliche, and we know everything that is gunna happen...granted we probably do, but when you are excited for a movie that everyone knows how every frame of the movie is going to happen

Bad guy(s) come to town

SM3 isn't trying to conjure up a mystery, but I do know what u mean on this point.:yay:

Without digressing too much, the whole indie thing, you are confusing hat I'm thinking about, with people who think they are artsy snobby people, and do so.

True Independant filmmaking in a nutshell, is making the film you wanna make, where quality and accuracy to your vision is the overall aim. Whether they make money or not doesn't matter too much, but then again, people don't make follow up films without cash, so there must be an appeal, so yes they do want people to watch them.

Guillermo Del Toro is a good example of how budget affects someone's work, he has shown that with whatever budget he is given, he can make the most of it, and stay as accurate to what he wants to do as possible.

Hunter Rider
03-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Then what do you mean?

Peter and MJ's relationship once again on and off

Sandman not really a bad guy he's doing it for his daughter

MJ kidnapped for the finale for the third straight movie

not to mention this clunker

Sandman killed Uncle Ben

The problem with these threads is posters don't make guesses so much as they trash one film to try and promote their own.

I am looking forward to both,more so POTC3 after the trailer but i am sure both will deliver and i don't like trashing movies especially before seeing them but you asked so that is my thoughts.

I will guarantee one thing,i cannot predict the BO but no matter what Tempest and Cyrus will return here and say SM3 was better and Darth and Longshot will return here and say POTC3 was,that is a certainty:cwink:

Secret_Riddle
I loved dmc but alot didnt so i think the third wont make as much money.

Spider-man 3 is the sequal to one of the most beloved superhero movies of all time so probably that.

Cinemaman
:dry:

No.

The same what I think, this guy has no clue in what will be in Spidey 3.

Secret_Riddle
03-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Why compare the quality of Spider-man films vs. pirates films? Both are without a doubt very good films.

Look what each has contributed. Pirates made everyone realise how cool pirates are after the 90's where they were more of a joke, as well as helped reconstruct the fantasy film genre which was destroyed before films like potter and lotr came along. And spider-man along with x-men convinced people that superhero movies could be great, especially after batman 3 and 4 as well as superman 3 and 4.

Pirates and Spider-man are my 2 favourite series of films and i often try to consider which one i like better but it really depends on my mood, spider-man's strengths lie in the subtle details and depth that sam and alvin put into every scene, where as pirates strengths lie in the shock and suspense department, as well as depps constantly amazing performance.

There both excellent series that belong in everybodies collections, and they will both make a crap load of money.

L0ngsh0t
03-18-2007, 04:41 PM
SM3 isn't trying to conjure up a mystery, but I do know what u mean on this point.:yay:

Without digressing too much, the whole indie thing, you are confusing hat I'm thinking about, with people who think they are artsy snobby people, and do so.

True Independant filmmaking in a nutshell, is making the film you wanna make, where quality and accuracy to your vision is the overall aim. Whether they make money or not doesn't matter too much, but then again, people don't make follow up films without cash, so there must be an appeal, so yes they do want people to watch them.

Guillermo Del Toro is a good example of how budget affects someone's work, he has shown that with whatever budget he is given, he can make the most of it, and stay as accurate to what he wants to do as possible.

I wish to give you another chance

Still, I disagree with 'some' of the movies that you have recommened I see in the past (I have watched some of em) But I am a fan of others, I don't like calling them 'indie' movies cause that term in itself has become to cliched, but I like the directors that make the film they want to make

And Guerllmo del toro (butcherd his first name) is one of my favs

Tempest19
03-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Well, it all rests in the details. Generally it is somewhat right and I'm not afraid to admit it-

Bad guy(s) come to town

Sandman comes to "town," but his intentions are actually noble.

Yes and no. Sandman arrives before Peter's life spirals down- but it is bad timing and it will later allow the symbiote to take him over.

They do fight and in the first fight Spider-Man does lose. But, in the second fight (before final FIGHTS) he wins- easily.

Yes and no. MJ is annoyed by Spider-Man being worshipped by the city. Thus, she turns to Harry.

WRONG. Peter takes this as "freedom" and becomes a complete symbiote Spidey baddie.

He does realize this, because of his actions towards Mary Jane at the Jazz Club.

Spider-Man does win the final fight. But, it's not because he overcomes his own personal struggles-

But, as I said- the action rests in the details. Because the THEMES are there, but when those themes occur and how the themes are altered- in this set up- are, more or less, way OFF.

L0ngsh0t
03-18-2007, 04:51 PM

Sandman killed Uncle Ben

The problem with these threads is posters don't make guesses so much as they trash one film to try and promote their own.

I am looking forward to both,more so POTC3 after the trailer but i am sure both will deliver and i don't like trashing movies especially before seeing them but you asked so that is my thoughts.

I will guarantee one thing,i cannot predict the BO but no matter what Tempest and Cyrus will return here and say SM3 was better and Darth and Longshot will return here and say POTC3 was,that is a certainty:cwink:

Sadley you are right, I like to think SM3 stands a chance, and in any other year (well next year it wouldn't ether cause TDK is coming out) but most other years, it would easiley be no. 1 for me...fact is it could be the best superhero movie ever, and if AWE is at least as good as DMC, I will probably like it better

tho Cyrus will probably say the new Michelle Godry film is gunna be the best movie of the year:oldrazz:

Cinemaman
03-18-2007, 04:53 PM

Sandman killed Uncle Ben

1. That's the development of their relationships. In sequel MJ was at first with Jameson. In Spidey 3 Pete meets Gwen Satcey. I think Raimi put there Swen to show can relationships of Pete and MJ stand after such figure as she.

2. So you want Sandman to be just dull villian without any simpathy (spelling?)?

3. Yep, but it's like tradition. In every superhero film (even in BB) love interests always kidnapped in the final action scene.

4. Actually he did it, but it was accident and still Sandman feels sorry for this. That makes him very dramatic character (+ the fact that his wife don't want their daughter to talk with him).

I don't trash other movies and I am also looking foward to POTC3. But after I saw POTC2 on DVD, i realised that it wasn't as enjoyable as was during theatre screening. Also I lost my interest in AWE, but still it has chance to be improved for me.

Can't disagree there ;)

Tempest19
03-18-2007, 05:01 PM
1. That's the development of their relationships. In sequel MJ was at first with Jameson. In Spidey 3 Pete meets Gwen Satcey. I think Raimi put there Swen to show can relationships of Pete and MJ stand after such figure as she.

Peter doesn't really like Gwen- in that way. He USES her to get to Mary Jane. But, other than that- as Peter tries to stress to MJ... she's just his lab partner and she's blown everything out of proportion due to her own downward spiral in the film.

So, Gwen isn't really a love interest. She's just a lab partner Peter uses to get to Mary Jane.

Hunter Rider
03-18-2007, 05:03 PM

It's repetetive IMO,they got together at the end of 2,i'd like them to stable personally

2. So you want Sandman to be just dull villian without any simpathy (spelling?)?

So a villain has to be sympathetic or he is dull ? i like straight up stone cold mother****ers as my villains who are bad because they are,like in real life,not every scumbag has a sad story to excuse being a scumbag

3. Yep, but it's like tradition. In every superhero film (even in BB) love interests always kidnapped in the final action scene.

You can call it tradition i call it lazy

4. Actually he did it, but it was accident and still Sandman feels sorry for this. That makes him very dramatic character (+ the fact that his wife don't want their daughter to talk with him).

I think that is frankly awful writing,why does Raimi need to always connect Peter to his villains.

I don't trash other movies and I am also looking foward to POTC3. But after I saw POTC2 on DVD, i realised that it wasn't as enjoyable as was during theatre screening. Also I lost my interest in AWE, but still it has chance to be improved for me.

i had the opposite reaction but cool:cwink:

Can't disagree there ;)

:woot::up:

Tempest19
03-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Eddie Brock is that scumbag, he's the villain you love to hate. He's sympathetic in a sense- but not really. He's regarded as the slime of the Earth. So, there's your scumbag. And he mops the ground with Spider-Man as well during the battle royale.:cwink:

Cristo
03-18-2007, 05:12 PM
but it was accident and still Sandman feels sorry for this.

Tempest, in the novelization, does Peter have any flashbacks to Uncle Ben's death?

Tempest19
03-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Not in the novelization- but, there are two spaces to have it:

1. When George Stacy tells Peter that Flint Marko is the actual killer

2. Flint Marko's "confession"

But, we do see it happening- as pics show-

Cinemaman
03-18-2007, 05:19 PM
It's repetetive IMO,they got together at the end of 2,i'd like them to stable personally

So a villain has to be sympathetic or he is dull ? i like straight up stone cold mother****ers as my villains who are bad because they are,like in real life,not every scumbag has a sad story to excuse being a scumbag

You can call it tradition i call it lazy

I think that is frankly awful writing,why does Raimi need to always connect Peter to his villains.

i had the opposite reaction but cool:cwink:

:woot::up:

1. Then there wouldn't be anything intersting in their relationships, would it?

2. Yeah, I like your bad SOB guys. But every directors shows the villians as he sees them in his enemies. For example, Nolan showed Ras as very smart and mystic character, while Singer showed Magneto as both old friend and #1 in enemy list.

3. Maybe laziness? :)

4. Osbourne was the father of his best friend, Ock was some kind of example of his idol in science stuff and Sandman as the reason, why he became superhero. I think connections aren't bad. If there weren't any of them, then every new Spidey film would look like every new comics issue.

5. Yeah, cool :D

Cyrusbales
03-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Why compare the quality of Spider-man films vs. pirates films? Both are without a doubt very good films.

Look what each has contributed. Pirates made everyone realise how cool pirates are after the 90's where they were more of a joke, as well as helped reconstruct the fantasy film genre which was destroyed before films like potter and lotr came along. And spider-man along with x-men convinced people that superhero movies could be great, especially after batman 3 and 4 as well as superman 3 and 4.

Pirates and Spider-man are my 2 favourite series of films and i often try to consider which one i like better but it really depends on my mood, spider-man's strengths lie in the subtle details and depth that sam and alvin put into every scene, where as pirates strengths lie in the shock and suspense department, as well as depps constantly amazing performance.

There both excellent series that belong in everybodies collections, and they will both make a crap load of money.

BOLD - well i don't think so, which means thereis a body of doubt.

RED - pirates being cool? they were taken rather lightheartedly, since pirates raped and killed many people, so not really taking them seriously.

BLUE - Once again, doubting this, because everybody does not like them, this statement is dubunkt.

Hunter Rider
03-18-2007, 05:26 PM
1. Then there wouldn't be anything intersting in their relationships, would it?

2. Yeah, I like your bad SOB guys. But every directors shows the villians as he sees them in his enemies. For example, Nolan showed Ras as very smart and mystic character, while Singer showed Magneto as both old friend and #1 in enemy list.

3. Maybe laziness? :)

4. Osbourne was the father of his best friend, Ock was some kind of example of his idol in science stuff and Sandman as the reason, why he became superhero. I think connections aren't bad. If there weren't any of them, then every new Spidey film would look like every new comics issue.

5. Yeah, cool :D

1.I think it would be interesting to see them stable for a change personally

2.I just don't see why Sandman had to be sympathetic especially when Harry already is.

3.Maybe:cwink:

4.I think Peter's ongoing journey is the link,his relationships with Harry,MJ,JJ,Aunt May would bind the films without the villains needing to be connected to him and i really don't like the way Raimi has conveniently retconned the first movie to make the link.

5:woot:

To make it clear i am in no way saying SM3 will be bad,i actually think it will be quite amazing,with epic action a really interesting arc for Peter and the resolutions to many things,all i am pointing out is it is formulaic in many parts and fits to Raimi's template that he won't veer from,hell it's made 1.5B+ so why would he:cwink:

Darth Elektra
03-18-2007, 05:29 PM
HR have you voted yet?

Tempest, think the new AWE trailer is dark enough for you?

Tempest19
03-18-2007, 05:34 PM
Yeah, still skeptical though because trailers don't equal final result. But, so far looks good- might be an actual good sequel to POTC.

Even though all I could understand (dialouge wise) was "acaba escuchar a laba!" LMAOL. So, want to see an English trailer-

Cinemaman
03-18-2007, 05:43 PM
1.I think it would be interesting to see them stable for a change personally

2.I just don't see why Sandman had to be sympathetic especially when Harry already is.

3.Maybe:cwink:

4.I think Peter's ongoing journey is the link,his relationships with Harry,MJ,JJ,Aunt May would bind the films without the villains needing to be connected to him and i really don't like the way Raimi has conveniently retconned the first movie to make the link.

5:woot:

To make it clear i am in no way saying SM3 will be bad,i actually think it will be quite amazing,with epic action a really interesting arc for Peter and the resolutions to many things,all i am pointing out is it is formulaic in many parts and fits to Raimi's template that he won't veer from,hell it's made 1.5B+ so why would he:cwink:

1. I still can't understand what change do you want to see :confused:

2. I wouldn't call Harry as a villian. He's mor elike friend, which became enemy and then again friend. He wants revenge on Pete just like Pete wants revenge on Sandman and just like Brock wants revenge on Spidey.

3. Well, it's your opinion. Not every movie should be the same. Besides, I hate in Pirates that there is too much weight on vissual style and comedy moments than on the plot itself.

4. Again, not every director tries change the formula of story of their films with making a new one (like Nolan). But Raimi is more like director, who wants to show improvement in scenes, which are similar to previous films. But this doesn't mean there won't be anything new. BTW, the best side of Spidey 3 will be it's drama aspect, not vissual effects. If you read the end of novel (SPOILER! where Harry dies), you'll understand me.

hippie_hunter
03-18-2007, 05:52 PM

Domestic box office means nothing, it's the overall box office that matters the most and the overall box office has all of the Harry Potter movies grossing over BOTH Spider-Man films and the first Shrek movie.

I say the only reason why Shrek 2 beat out Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was because the Prisoner of Azkaban was a rather weak adaptation of the best Harry Potter book.

Secret_Riddle
03-18-2007, 07:16 PM
BOLD - well i don't think so, which means thereis a body of doubt.

RED - pirates being cool? they were taken rather lightheartedly, since pirates raped and killed many people, so not really taking them seriously.

BLUE - Once again, doubting this, because everybody does not like them, this statement is dubunkt.

1. Thats your opinion but you cant say that these films are widely disliked because they definately are not.

2. im referring to pirates as they have always been represented in pop culture and not the actual private mercenaries of the past.

3. The films are 2 of the biggest pop culture icons and they are not disliked by many, however everyone is entitled to there opinion, but in the case of these 2 films the critical as well as social consensus is that they are good films.

Tempest19
03-18-2007, 07:19 PM
3. That's true for Spidey, not Pirates. Pirates is critically hated with a passion- I can understand POTC2, but not their thoughts on POTC1.

Cyrusbales
03-18-2007, 07:21 PM
the critical view of pirates is accurate

Secret_Riddle
03-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Pirates is not hated critically. the first one is actually very well reviewed both by critics and normal movie goers, as can be seen on rotten tomatoes and imdb.

the second one recieved mixed critical reviews but remained well liked on imdb.

They are not hated.

Cyrusbales
03-18-2007, 07:46 PM
erm.....by critics, are we talking about people who write for mass papers etc? most reviewers write for the audiences, if you look at reviews from more respected film reviewing sources, the second one is panned massively, the first is passed off as simplistic, only worth seeing for Depp.

DACrowe
03-18-2007, 08:29 PM
The first got very good reviews.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pirates_of_the_caribbean_the_curse_of_the_black_pe arl/

The second on the other hand....

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pirates_of_the_caribbean_dead_mans_chest/