PDA

View Full Version : Green Lantern Crew (Costume Design & More)

batlovescatDC
03-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Is there anyone who u would like to see design Hal Jordan tights, or someone u would like to see create the awesome effects that will come from the Green Lantern's rings? If there's anyone at all that u would prefer to see in any major area of crew from GL, say it here.....

mclay18
03-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Ngila Dikson is rumored to be the costume designer for GL (she did LOTR and other Oz/NZ shot films), but I have no clue what visual effects company will work on the pic.

I'd love for Weta Digital, ILM and Sony Pictures Imageworks to work on this film. I think Campbell and WB might lean towards Weta due to the proximity during filming, but who knows if they will (they're working on Avatar right now).

As for cinematographer, I bet Phil Meheux will come back to work with Campbell on GL, but if not, there are five top-notch Oz cinematographers -- John Seale, Dion Beebe, Simon Duggan, Russell Boyd and Donald McAlpine -- who can do justice to the production design.

protocida
03-21-2009, 02:22 PM
I think Weta is going to do the visual effects, but i'd be trilled it ILM or ImageWorks accepted also. :grin:

Changeling
03-25-2009, 07:50 PM
Weta will rule. I really want to see their JLM designs.

Webhead2006
03-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Nice to see someone decided to make a thread for the other crew members so we dont have to go through the casting threads for crew hires. I mentioned we should make a crew thread page a few days ago. i would love to see weta or ilm do sfx both are great companies and have great effect houses.

rdh007
03-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Dickinson and WETA are both Oscar winners, correct?

Though they may have JRR Tolkien to thank for that more than anything else.

batlovescatDC
04-01-2009, 01:34 PM
I wonder who is gonna be director-of-photography. A movie like GL has to have some awesome shots.

Octoberist
04-01-2009, 01:59 PM
I would love if SOny IMageworks DOESN'T touch their disgusting paws on this film.

I'm all for ILM, Double Negative/ Framestore (Batman Begins and Dark Knight), or WETA.

Webhead2006
04-01-2009, 02:24 PM
yea i think it will likely end up being ilm/weta for visual effects. As for DP since campbell is director he would likely want to use someone he has worked with in past films. Who has been his DPs on his last few films?

mclay18
04-01-2009, 05:15 PM
I wonder who is gonna be director-of-photography. A movie like GL has to have some awesome shots.

Campbell will likely rely on his longtime collaborator, Phil Meheux, who's done most of his U.S. films (David Tattersall did Vertical Limit). But if Meheux is unavailable, I think there's an army of top-notch cinematographers in Australia that Campbell can pick from.

I'm a big fan of Donald McAlpine's work on Moulin Rouge, Peter Pan, Chronicles of Narnia and Wolverine (judging by the trailers for the latter) -- the guy has a clear command of contrast, filters, and color usage (particularly PP and Wolverine). I'd be thrilled if he did work on this movie.

Retroman
04-24-2009, 05:42 PM
UPDATE
Oscar winner Grant Major (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0538194/) (Lord of the Rings, King Kong) has joined GL as the new production designer replacing Jeff Mann (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0542802/) while Francois Audouy remains on board as the supervising Art director (he was in Berlanti's team (http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=16036765&postcount=1144) before he left).Got this info from Audouy's official site.

Source: http://www.audouy.com/fa/CREDITS.html

Major has a website too for those who aren't familar with his work.
http://www.grantmajor.com/

protocida
04-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Green Lantern crew:

Aaron Simms - Costumes director.
Rodolfo DiMaggio - Storyboard artist.
Francois Audouny - Supervisioning Art Director.
Grant Major - Production Designer.

Who else?

Webhead2006
04-24-2009, 08:50 PM
thanks for the new crew news. I hope they do some stellar work for gl.

protocida
04-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Well, the crew is full of Oscar winners... :woot:

Now it's just get Weta/ILM and John Williams/Michael Giaccino and we're patched!

mclay18
04-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Green Lantern crew:

Aaron Simms - Costumes director.
Rodolfo DiMaggio - Storyboard artist.
Francois Audouy - Supervisioning Art Director.
Grant Major - Production Designer.

Who else?

You're missing the cinematographer (DOP or DP) and editor(s). But the latter doesn't come in until a month before shooting starts, usually.

protocida
04-25-2009, 09:56 AM
I know. I meant everyone who knew more, like Retroman, could add more information to the list. :woot:

Webhead2006
04-25-2009, 07:50 PM
well its more then likely it will be weta or ilm doing the effects work and i am fine with either. As for music as much as i love williams work i think we should have someone different do a superhero theme.

protocida
04-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Why?

DarkReflections
04-25-2009, 11:50 PM
id love to see ilm do the effects and for williams to do the score.

protocida
04-26-2009, 10:26 AM
ILM would be great, but aren't they commited to Iron Man 2?

mclay18
04-26-2009, 11:38 AM
ILM's gotten to the point where their crew is big enough to handle multiple projects. In 2007, they worked on three major projects: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Transformers, and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix within months of each other.

I wouldn't be surprised if ILM does GL alongside IM-2 and HP 7.1 in the same year, I mean they're a big VFX company.

protocida
04-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Iron Man, Transformers and Star Trek had some of the best visual/special effects I've ever seem.

ILM FTW! :woot:

AnorexicBatman
04-26-2009, 01:37 PM
The one good thing George Lucas created besides the original star wars trilogy...

protocida
04-26-2009, 01:45 PM
And Indiana Jones.

Webhead2006
04-26-2009, 06:28 PM
well williams has some great scores over the years, starwars, indiana jones, superman, etc... I think with GL we should get someone with new blood to take a crack at it.

protocida
04-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Williams made classic, iconical scores. Shouldn't GL get one as well?

Webhead2006
04-26-2009, 11:27 PM
yes but he isnt the only guy out there who could do it.

protocida
04-27-2009, 10:41 AM
But he's a safe choice.

Webhead2006
04-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Yea i guess if they want to play it safe. But there is tons and tons of composers out their.

protocida
04-29-2009, 09:37 AM
I think Williams or Giachinno are the best choices.

Webhead2006
04-29-2009, 02:23 PM
I wish i knew more names of composers. But i dont.

Doctor Jones
04-29-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm starting to think James Horner could write one hell of a GL score. Giachinno and Williams as well.

Saint
04-29-2009, 05:26 PM
The score needs a good dose of sci-fi sound to it, in addition to the obligatory superhero sound. If you've played Mass Effect, you know what I mean by "Sci-fi sound."

Webhead2006
04-29-2009, 06:29 PM
yea it needs to be that scifi/space sound with an epic beat to it.

protocida
04-30-2009, 05:15 PM
Agreed. And Giachinno and/or Williams can do that! :)

Webhead2006
04-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Yes they can but there is others out there too. And i do think it would be nice to see someone different then williams always doing these epic blockbusters scores. I do love his work.

protocida
04-30-2009, 05:29 PM
I understand.

Saint
04-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Williams isn't really the what I meant by "sci-fi sound." Again, Mass Effect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVdDjFAMDYI

As I said, this is a superherho movie and should sound like it, but sprinkle in bits of that kind of electronic science fiction sound to it, and you've got a winner.

Webhead2006
04-30-2009, 10:00 PM
yea so can someone post some names/works of some other guys we havent mentioned before.

bunk
04-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Maybe Eric Serra (Fifth Element)?

Webhead2006
04-30-2009, 11:06 PM
that film had some great music in it.

batlovescatDC
05-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Giacchino, Horner, Williams, Beltrami, or David Arnold are the best choices.

protocida
05-01-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm all for Giachinno. Star Trek's score was great! :up:

Retroman
05-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Media commentator Russell Brown spoke to GL's costume designer. He posted the following about that meeting on his blog!

Goodie Bag! | May 01, 2009 11:49

It was perhaps predictable that the work at the Auckland Art Fair that really made my heart sing would be a McCahon. I'm like that. It was one I'd never seen before: 'Coastal Landscape', a simple work of ink on gold paper that roiled like the sea. Perhaps it's Muriwai: I can't find any information about it online. Can anyone help?

That isn't to say there was nothing newer that took my fancy at last night's gala opening. I loved John Edgar's Cube JE 90, a work of glass and stone that seemed to possess its own internal source of light, and the small, obsessive paintings of Sam Leach and Neil Pardington's witty photograph Art Store #3 (which doesn't work at all at web size).

Amongst work I might currently aspire to own, Darryn George's formal but sensuous oil paintings, which reference Gordon Walters on their way to somewhere else, stood out. Perhaps we can put one in the budget for the house extension …

The people-watching wasn't bad either. I rarely get to art events, so it was fun to witness the wealthy, the wise and the weird sluicing back the wine and shouting merrily at each other.

I also ran into costume designer Ngila *****on, who is -- be ready to swoon, geeks -- working on the Green Lantern movie. It's set in the present day, rather than the 1950s, but she's had access to all the original comics illustrated by a series of artists ("bad, bad, BRILLIANT, bad …") for inspiration. The film itself is something of a New Zealanders' club: Martin Campbell is directing and Grant Major is there as production designer. She says she's loving it.SOURCE:http://publicaddress.net/5854

With Campbell, *****on and Major all being from New Zealand i think there's a bigger chance WETA will be involved in GL now.

Lmao the the site censors are blocking Dic kson's name.:hehe:

Webhead2006
05-03-2009, 11:22 AM
yea i dont see why weta wouldnt be picked they would probably want to keep effects house near by.

mclay18
05-03-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm sure that since Dic kson and Major worked on Lord of the Rings, I'm sure WETA Workshop will be involved in some form. (And possibly WETA Digital too, but Campbell may want to try the local F/X houses like Animal Logic if they're cheaper.)

protocida
05-03-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm hoping for ILM. GL's effects must be fluid as we're Iron Man's and Transformers's.

Saint
05-03-2009, 06:27 PM
What is being censored in that name? Haha.

protocida
05-03-2009, 06:40 PM
D i c k.

mclay18
05-09-2009, 05:13 PM
The IMDB reports that Dion Beebe will be the cinematographer for Green Lantern -- a good choice IMO.

Webhead2006
05-09-2009, 08:55 PM
hopefully thats true. its nice to get another important crew member on board.

mclay18
05-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Beebe has done a lot of excellent work for films like Chicago, Memoirs of a Geisha, Collateral and Miami Vice. I wasn't a fan of the shakycam, CSI-esque digital video look for Michael Mann's previous films, but his work on Memoirs was superb.

And he's Australian too, so that works into the Australian tax break thing too.

Retroman
05-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks mcclay.Beebe is another great addition.:yay:

A few months ago he spoke of his desire to work on another movie with "extensive effects".

HDE: Now that you’re finishing up “Land of the Lost,” are you motivated to do another movie with extensive effects?

DION BEEBE: Yes, it’s such a huge part of storytelling now, I am somewhat more excited about it than I have been in the past. Visual effects are an important part of the language of film now. Having gone through the whole process on this movie from pre-visualizing it, and then breaking it down and creating the image on film, to the final result, was enticing and exciting. To realize those ideas was very interesting, and it fully opens up things. You realize that there is no limit to what can be accomplished on screen.

HDE: Are there new technologies that are interesting to you?

DION BEEBE: I am currently working with Steve Scott at E-Film on “Land of the Lost” and have been impressed with the new tracing tools in the suite. We are able to run a couple of windows during a shot that can track with the action, fade out during a shot or create dynamic shifts in color and density. On occasion we can take an actors eyes and just lift in the sockets without consideration for how much camera movement there is in the shot - Steve can track them with completely accuracy. Of course, it does help that Steve is an artist.

HDE: What do you think about the increasing interest in 3D?

DION BEEBE: 3D is intriguing. I am curious to see James Cameron’s “Avatar” push 3D beyond the realm of novelty. I want to see 3D used in a dramatic sense, to draw the audience fully into the visual experience and at the same time heighten the dramatic storytelling. I am intrigued and would welcome the challenge to tell a story in 3D.Source:http://hdexpo.net/editorial/editorial_ASK_0309_Beebe.html

And for those of us who wanted WETA to get involved it looks like they might too busy to take on GL?:huh::down
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/05/12/steve-niles-wake-the-dead-adaptation-stalled-by-the-hobbit/

Webhead2006
05-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Yea i remember hearing about that my self if they cant get weta hopefully they go with ILM if they go with any other company it might not look that great. But maybe campbell can get weta to work a bit on gl. Is there any word on when the hobbit is actually going to get filming and would need weta's work?

Octoberist
05-26-2009, 02:51 AM
If WETA can't do a horror movie because of The Hobbit, then I'm sure they can't do Green Lantern. However, they can pull The Dark Knight; hired really multiple good SMALL VFX companies.

Webhead2006
05-26-2009, 03:14 AM
who ever is the special effects house i hope they do quality work and the fx looks good. We dont need a crappy fx house to come in and give us subpar effects.

Octoberist
05-26-2009, 02:09 PM
like Sony Imageworks? I hate them with a passion because they never ever make quality CGI. I swear to you all.

Wesley Dodds
05-26-2009, 02:14 PM
What've they done?

Octoberist
05-26-2009, 02:17 PM
they did the Spider-Man movies, I think I am Legend, some of the CGI in Watchmen. There's times when they are okay. There are times when their CGI is so darn cartoony.

I mean, they are waaay behind WETA and ILM when it comes down to it.

Wesley Dodds
05-26-2009, 02:21 PM
I know what you mean. Those movies had a lot of that rubbery CGI effect i hate... Especially, the I Am Legend villains... Oh, how i loathe the I Am Legend villains.

Octoberist
05-26-2009, 02:23 PM
usually, they're okay but I think after Transformers and Pirates of the Carribean, you what some quality effects you know?

That's why I hope they get good companies for this..

Webhead2006
05-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Yea only good work i seen them do is in the spidey films which look great, but some of their other stuff like i am legend and superman returns looked like great half the time. I would prefer ILM if they are free.

batlovescatDC
05-27-2009, 12:02 PM
All I know is they better have the best ppl for the effects they can find. This needs to be Star Wars/Trek material here.

Norm3
06-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Just make it look like the Comic book. thats all I ask for. I can't stand some of the changes they make on these Superhero movies.

batlovescatDC
06-10-2009, 11:31 AM
I think it would be awesome if they would do parts of this in Imax 3D. The effects from Hal's ring shooting out at you would be incredible. But that's only if they can do it without making it too cheesy. And no 3D on the dvd. They just haven't found the right tech to do 3D right for television sets, yet.

mclay18
06-13-2009, 07:19 PM
like Sony Imageworks? I hate them with a passion because they never ever make quality CGI. I swear to you all.

They also did a lot of the CGI work in Superman Returns. Some of that was really, really good (like the plane crash sequence and the boat rescue scene) -- the rest looked iffy though.

mclay18
06-13-2009, 07:28 PM
I think it would be awesome if they would do parts of this in Imax 3D. The effects from Hal's ring shooting out at you would be incredible. But that's only if they can do it without making it too cheesy. And no 3D on the dvd. They just haven't found the right tech to do 3D right for television sets, yet.

It's a high possibility GL will be part of Warners' concurrent 35mm and IMAX releases in 2011 (they could take their revenge on Paramount/Dreamworks for that 4 week exclusive distribution deal for TF-2 that way). They could render the action sequences in IMAX 3D after the film is completed, but I'd rather see the action sequences shot with IMAX cameras. The extra resolution and composition is just staggering, and that way the DVD and Blu-ray releases have both versions.

And it's a nice double punch of revenue if it's well-received, since Warners isn't going to pass up the opportunity to release the final HP film a month later in IMAX as well.

JAK®
06-14-2009, 07:39 AM
They also did a lot of the CGI work in Superman Returns. Some of that was really, really good (like the plane crash sequence and the boat rescue scene) -- the rest looked iffy though.That's the main problem with Imageworks, they often focus on a few shots which end up looking amazing, but rush the rest so you end up with CGI that is all over the place.

Webhead2006
06-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Yea they have been good for some films. but others like SR was pretty lousy work. I rather have ILM, WETA or a small fx house that does quality work.

DannyDreg
06-18-2009, 01:01 AM
I know what you mean. Those movies had a lot of that rubbery CGI effect i hate... Especially, the I Am Legend villains... Oh, how i loathe the I Am Legend villains.

Wil Smith was the villain in I Am Legend, he was hunting them down & kidnapped that female mutant. That's what made him the Legend (well to the mutants anyway)

I know it's off topic, but I'm just sayin'.

Wesley Dodds
06-18-2009, 03:54 AM
Wil Smith was the villain in I Am Legend, he was hunting them down & kidnapped that female mutant. That's what made him the Legend (well to the mutants anyway)

I know it's off topic, but I'm just sayin'.

Nope. Neville was the "villain" in the novel. The movie completely missed the point and turned the character into a more general audience-friendly savior type... Curing the infected and saving the world from the mess Emma Thompson created. He even died that ridiculous martyrs death. That's what made him the legend... To the surviving humans.

Try to out-Matheson me, eh?

Whyyyyyy I oughta........

:hehe:

Octoberist
06-18-2009, 04:01 AM
exactly, the book had that theme that Nevelle was the villain, where as the movie version of Neville was the Legend to the humans because of his sacrifice

dnno1
06-18-2009, 07:31 PM
On the poll, I voted other because IMDb lists Nglia Dickson as the costume designer (i.e. none of the above).

bunk
06-18-2009, 07:43 PM
She's really good. Has she done any science fiction work though?

dnno1
06-18-2009, 07:54 PM
She's really good. Has she done any science fiction work though?

She has done costumes for Sci-Fi projects (a TV series titled "Mysterious Island" and a Kiwi film titled "My Grandpa Is a Vampire), but nothing like what would be needed for a film like Green Lantern (that would be in the way of comic book hero costumes). I would have to refer you to her work on the LOTR films for anything that would approach what I think would be required as far as talent.

bunk
06-18-2009, 08:03 PM
She has done costumes for Sci-Fi projects (a TV series titled "Mysterious Island" and a Kiwi film titled "My Grandpa Is a Vampire), but nothing like what would be needed for a film like Green Lantern (that would be in the way of comic book hero costumes). I would have to refer you to her work on the LOTR films for anything that would approach what I think would be required as far as talent.

Yeah, LotR is what I know her from mostly. I've seen all of her behind the scenes footage from the Rings appendices.

Webhead2006
06-18-2009, 08:25 PM
isnt there a official costume designer already picked i am pretty sure.

dnno1
06-18-2009, 08:58 PM
That's what I was saying a few posts back. Nglia Dickson is the costume designer for "Green Lantern" according to IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0225699/).

Webhead2006
06-18-2009, 09:16 PM
I thought someone posted an official article about her nabbing the position.

dnno1
06-18-2009, 09:33 PM
That's who we were talking about. Someone asked if she had done any Sci-Fi before and that's what started this discussion.

Webhead2006
06-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Ah ok

mclay18
06-18-2009, 10:29 PM
That's who we were talking about. Someone asked if she had done any Sci-Fi before and that's what started this discussion.

Michael Kaplan did a terrific job redesigning the Starfleet uniforms for Star Trek, and he hadn't worked on any real fantasy-esque sci-fi films before that. (Unless you count I Am Legend or Armageddon.)

I'm sure Ngila will do a good job. The article confirming her position as costume designer also mentioned that Ngila was poring over the different GL comic books and she's back working with Grant Major. She'll do a better job than Louise Mingenbach, I'm sure.

aroundthefur33
07-10-2009, 06:23 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/aroundthefur33/Green_Lantern_Mortal_Kombat_vs_DC_C.jpg
this is what the costume should look like, it isnt lycra and silly, it is similar to the superman returns look...

NightBeetle
07-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Maybe something like the costume from First Fight.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2479/3659078842_dbbb6674cc_b.jpg

Octoberist
07-10-2009, 07:21 PM
i think either of these designs work, as long as the suit doesn't change.

I think the suit should not look to militaristic or Star Treky. I think the 'superhero spandex' look is great and simple enough to look..alien.

Octoberist
07-10-2009, 07:21 PM
i think either of these designs work, as long as the suit doesn't change.

I think the suit should not look to militaristic or Star Treky. I think the 'superhero spandex' look is great and simple enough to look..alien.

bunk
07-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Why do you keep double posting?

Octoberist
07-10-2009, 07:57 PM
i really don't know. must be my computer.

bunk
07-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Your computer is just looking out for you. His opinions must read dammit!

Webhead2006
07-14-2009, 01:18 AM
Yea i hope the costume designer makes a good suit, uses good materials, and dont deviate from the classic look of hal's costume to much. I want to see more like spider-man movie series costume, and less xmen movie suits/superman returns superman suit.

MagicPrime
07-14-2009, 07:34 AM
I am actually a fan of the armor plates, ala DC vs. MK and First Flight.

Retroman
07-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Yet another Oscar winner has been added to the ranks if the info on imdb is correct. This time it's Clay Pinney (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0684439/) who'll serve as the on set special effects supervisor.:up:

Also, australian concept artist Daniel James Cox (Australia, Eragon, Fantastic Four 2, Justice League Mortal) posted the following on his blog:

Friday, June 19, 2009

It LIVES!

Sorry about the long time between updates. but i'll make it up to you (i swear) -- there's new artwork below, and i have two new websites up and running. if you have the time, check out my feature film visual development gallery here:

Visual Development 2.0 (http://www.danieljamescox.com/)

http://www.danieljamescox.com/images/gallery/aus_al_dd228_0520_djcox.jpg

It's still be finished, but i needed to get it up and running to show the Green Lantern people my work. Fingers crossed i'll be working on that in August at Fox Studios.
SOURCE Link (http://danieljamescox.blogspot.com/2009/06/it-lives.html)

Octoberist
07-20-2009, 02:55 PM
does he have the gig, or is he trying to get onto Green Lantern?

Retroman
07-20-2009, 03:09 PM
^^Not sure if he has it now as this was posted last month and at that time he was still trying. He has a good chance of landing the job though since he's australian and having worked on Miller's Justice League plus being a comic book fan (http://danieljamescox.blogspot.com/2009/07/wednesday-comics-my-review.html) will help too.:yay:

Octoberist
07-20-2009, 03:15 PM
I hope he gets it then. Thanks retro.

Retroman
07-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Sure, no problem.:yay:

Webhead2006
07-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Sounds good i hope we get alot of good talented folks involved on the production end of things. I would love one day to do production end of things on films, my dream would be to work on a hero film that would be great.

Retroman
08-26-2009, 03:11 PM
From The New Zealand Herald:
Major undertaking

4:00AM Thursday Jul 09, 2009

By Scott Kara

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/81/grant300x200.jpg
Grant Major has been developing his short film since 2006. Photo / Glenn Jeffrey

The 2009 New Zealand International Film Festival's programme of short films includes the debut film of a local filmmaker who has already won an Oscar and has a career in Hollywood. SCOTT KARA reports and casts an eye over the works of some other local up and comers

Grant Major has won an Oscar among many other awards and nominations, made films with Peter Jackson for years, and is currently in Hollywood working on blockbuster The Green Lantern.

Filmmaking has been the Auckland production designer's life for nearly 30 years, but it's only now he's got around to making his own movie.

While Undergrowth, a nine-minute short film on at the Film Festival as part of the Homegrown programme, is not on the scale of King Kong or Lord of the Rings, Major's chuffed to have done it.

"Writing something, directing it, and making my own story is bloody awesome actually," he says cheerily on the phone from Los Angeles.

He won his Academy Award in 2004 for The Return of the King, the final instalment of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and then went on to work with Jackson on King Kong. It was after that, around 2006, he started developing the story and ideas he had for Undergrowth.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/movies/news/article.cfm?c_id=200&objectid=10583169

Octoberist
08-26-2009, 03:14 PM
i can always count on Retro for nice news bits! thanks

Retroman
08-26-2009, 04:25 PM
You're welcome.:yay:

Webhead2006
08-26-2009, 05:33 PM
cool little tidbit.

Retroman
09-25-2009, 11:58 AM
Illustrator, designer and model maker Paul Ozzimo, who's worked on everything from The Abyss and Back To The Future 3 to X-Men 2 and Transformers has a brief rundown of his (still ongoing) time on GL up on his website.

Link (Click on news): http://www.paulozzimo.com/

Webhead2006
09-25-2009, 02:38 PM
cool find retroman

Octoberist
09-25-2009, 10:43 PM
now we know that there was a huge rewrite, to those who was slightly worried about the first draft. Obviously it was a first draft and it was going to change, but it still had structural issues, not just dialog, etc.

Octoberist
09-30-2009, 12:58 AM
Green Lantern prepares for Mexico shoot

By Brendan Swift

Warner Broshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2.gif (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?p=17541866#) is understood to be preparing to shift its Green Lantern production to Mexico from Australia, where the booming currency has blown out costs.

The latest proposal overrides recent plans to shift the film to the US state of Louisiana (as reported in the October issue of INSIDEFILM) although a final decision has yet to be made.

If the shoot does proceed at Fox Studioshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2.gif (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?p=17541866#) Australia it would add more than $US20 million to production costs due to the rising dollar, according to sources.

However, it is understood that Warner Bros is continuing to pay Fox Studios Australia to hire its eight sound stages although there have been rumours that it may use the space to shoot another film.

Green Lantern, which will star Ryan Reynoldshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2.gif (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?p=17541866#) in the lead role, is set to begin filming early next year. It was originally scheduled to begin filming at Fox Studios Australia in November.

However, Warner Bros had not locked in its financing when NSW Premier Nathan Rees announced the State had won the production in April this year. The value of the Australian dollar has since risen to about 87.5 US cents from about 72 US cents at that time.

“We still haven’t given up on Green Lantern but the way the exchange ratehttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2.gif (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?p=17541866#) is going up it’s looking more and more unlikely,” one source said.

As well as facing a rising Australian dollar, Green Lantern director Martin Campbell is also understood to have made substantial script amendments, which required a higher budget, placing further pressure on the production’s Australian base.

Another source suggested the production might have required more studio space than Fox Studios Australia could accommodate.

The last major feature film shot at Fox Studios Australia was Hugh Jackman’s X-Men Origins: Wolverine in early 2008. Meanwhile, the facility’s long term operations manager James Bramley recently resigned. He has been replaced by another long term staff member, Sam Pantos.

bswift@if.com.au

http://if.com.au/2009/09/30/article/...QFRBJDKZB.html (http://if.com.au/2009/09/30/article/Green-Lantern-prepares-for-Mexico-shoot/NQFRBJDKZB.html)

mclay18
09-30-2009, 01:21 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see outdoor shots done in Mexico and indoor sets shot in New Orleans. If Campbell is requiring a higher budget with the rewrites... Warners will want a location that offers substantial tax incentives so they can claim a reasonable price for the movie.

Unholyjustice
09-30-2009, 04:17 PM
I agree

dnno1
09-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Green Lantern prepares for Mexico shoot

By Brendan Swift

Warner Broshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2.gif (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?p=17541866#) is understood to be preparing to shift its Green Lantern production to Mexico from Australia, where the booming currency has blown out costs.

The latest proposal overrides recent plans to shift the film to the US state of Louisiana (as reported in the October issue of INSIDEFILM) although a final decision has yet to be made.

If the shoot does proceed at Fox Studioshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2.gif (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?p=17541866#) Australia it would add more than $US20 million to production costs due to the rising dollar, according to sources.

However, it is understood that Warner Bros is continuing to pay Fox Studios Australia to hire its eight sound stages although there have been rumours that it may use the space to shoot another film.

Green Lantern, which will star Ryan Reynoldshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2.gif (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?p=17541866#) in the lead role, is set to begin filming early next year. It was originally scheduled to begin filming at Fox Studios Australia in November.

However, Warner Bros had not locked in its financing when NSW Premier Nathan Rees announced the State had won the production in April this year. The value of the Australian dollar has since risen to about 87.5 US cents from about 72 US cents at that time.

“We still haven’t given up on Green Lantern but the way the exchange ratehttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2.gif (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?p=17541866#) is going up it’s looking more and more unlikely,” one source said.

As well as facing a rising Australian dollar, Green Lantern director Martin Campbell is also understood to have made substantial script amendments, which required a higher budget, placing further pressure on the production’s Australian base.

Another source suggested the production might have required more studio space than Fox Studios Australia could accommodate.

The last major feature film shot at Fox Studios Australia was Hugh Jackman’s X-Men Origins: Wolverine in early 2008. Meanwhile, the facility’s long term operations manager James Bramley recently resigned. He has been replaced by another long term staff member, Sam Pantos.

bswift@if.com.au

http://if.com.au/2009/09/30/article/...QFRBJDKZB.html (http://if.com.au/2009/09/30/article/Green-Lantern-prepares-for-Mexico-shoot/NQFRBJDKZB.html)

That's what I said (http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=17384025&postcount=398). If it was all about money, they should shoot it there since the exchange rate is the lowest. Obviously, somebody is listening.

Showtime
09-30-2009, 09:27 PM
The final draft turned in by Marc Guggenheim contained Martin Campbell's changes.

mclay18
09-30-2009, 09:48 PM
So all they have to do is find a shooting location, right?

Right?

Octoberist
09-30-2009, 09:54 PM
The final draft turned in by Marc Guggenheim contained Martin Campbell's changes.

Can you ask your source about Rob Liefeld's silly comments on twitter?

"Oh whats that Green Lanternhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2.gif (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=324011&page=30#), you have to take a back seat to my movie? Awww, that's sad."

http://twitter.com/Rob_Liefeld

Octoberist
09-30-2009, 10:05 PM
hehe..i wonder who's the better writer: Marc Guggenheim or Michael Green..

Showtime
09-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Can you ask your source about Rob Liefeld's silly comments on twitter?

What movie is Rob Liefield talking about, Deadpool?

Do we have another Mark Millar on our hands?

Webhead2006
09-30-2009, 10:55 PM
well i hope the whole location thing is pegged down in the next few weeks so the rest of the pre production process can keep moving.

Octoberist
10-01-2009, 02:11 AM
Good God, I thought imdb.com and youtube.com were bad. I just read the reader comments on ign.com, and some people were like "Please kill Ryan Reynolds" or "Ryan's a douchebag. Epic Fai". Wow. stupid.

Octoberist
10-01-2009, 02:15 AM
What movie is Rob Liefield talking about, Deadpool?

Do we have another Mark Millar on our hands?

Not too sure. It cannot be Deadpool. Despite being the creator, I never saw Rob being a 'Todd McFarlane' type when it came to said character. I felt like he created him, then moved on, and when the character became popular, he went back to the series. Kinda like Joe Jackson, and exploiting what he's got.

anyway, I think it would more in the lines of Youngbloods, but that's going no where. And it's so 90s till this very day..with bandannas, steel arms, katanas, no feet and grimaces.

mclay18
10-16-2009, 05:36 PM
The reveal of the one-sheet poster for Edge of Darkness makes me think that Martin Campbell will bring on Stuart Baird to edit Green Lantern. Baird has edited Campbell's past three movies (Darkness, Casino Royale and The Legend of Zorro), and he's also edited another DC movie: Superman: The Movie (as well as sections of Superman II).

Octoberist
10-16-2009, 05:41 PM
he's pretty good. though his directorial work is eh, i'm glad that he's sticking to what he does best..

mclay18
10-16-2009, 07:32 PM
I think Campbell likes using Baird because in an interview for Casino Royale, he said that Baird works fast. There was one tidbit where Campbell mentioned that Baird had most of the finished product ready just a few weeks after filming ended.

Octoberist
10-16-2009, 07:39 PM
hmm. that means one thing: a teaser with footage next summer! Or, comic con footage!

Webhead2006
10-16-2009, 09:21 PM
i dont know that guys work myself, but its always good for directors to work with crew they know best so things can run more smoothly.

BojacRedleif
10-17-2009, 05:42 AM
So Grant Major is working on GL? Awesome. Pure Awesome. Those guys are freakin brilliant. I really wish we could have seen the costume tests from the JLA debacle they made.

mclay18
10-17-2009, 10:29 AM
hmm. that means one thing: a teaser with footage next summer! Or, comic con footage!

Maybe. Even if Campbell does have his final cut of GL done after filming wraps, he still has to contend with the CGI shots, color timing, etc.. That said, if Baird indeed comes on to edit GL, a 2010 CC trailer or footage isn't impossible.

Webhead2006
10-17-2009, 10:56 AM
totally.

Retroman
11-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Pixel Liberation Front's official site shows that they are currently previsualizing fx shots and sequences for GL. As you can see from their credits they really know their stuff and therefore are very well qualified to do the job!:up:

http://www.thefront.com/film.php

Drakon
11-15-2009, 04:57 PM
That's one HELL of a resume.

Webhead2006
11-15-2009, 10:20 PM
well that is very cool find there retro good one. Cant wait to see what they have in store for the film. Are they a recent hired on, or been with gl production for awhile?

Octoberist
11-16-2009, 02:01 AM
Pixel Liberation Front's official site shows that they are currently previsualizing fx shots and sequences for GL. As you can see from their credits they really know their stuff and therefore are very well qualified to do the job!:up:

http://www.thefront.com/film.php

once again, thanks retro!

Retroman
11-17-2009, 11:05 AM
That's one HELL of a resume.

It sure is!
well that is very cool find there retro good one. Cant wait to see what they have in store for the film. Are they a recent hired on, or been with gl production for awhile?

It's their most recent project but it's not specified how long they've been on board.My feeling is that they've been at it for a while

Another company that specializes in previz, called Proof Inc (http://proof-inc.com/index.php?/work/category/film/the_green_lantern), did similar work when Greg Berlanti was set to direct.
once again, thanks retro!

And you're welcome.:yay:

Webhead2006
11-17-2009, 12:51 PM
ok retro thanks for the details i would expect they probably would be on for awhile too. While campbell saying that the film has alot of sfx shots. So he probably wanted to have some previz stuff in the past few months while the script was getting settled on and the budget.

solidsnake86
11-17-2009, 03:56 PM
With the amount of fx shots they probably already have the whole movie previz'd. I also can't wait to hear what company they go with for the CGI stuff which we should be hearing about soon I would imagine.

Drakon
11-17-2009, 03:57 PM
What does "previz" mean?

Chewy
11-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Pre visualizations. Kind of like animated storyboards, basically really rough, low-poly versions of big set pieces showing off what needs to be filmed, what the animators need to create, etc

Webhead2006
11-17-2009, 09:10 PM
I really hope its a top notch sfx company for the film like ILM or WETA. I am sure its likely going to be ILM.

JAK®
11-18-2009, 09:26 AM
It'll probably be Sony Imageworks to be honest.

Octoberist
11-18-2009, 12:11 PM
i hope not.

Webhead2006
11-18-2009, 02:07 PM
yea i hope it isnt sony imageworks, they totally sucked for superman returns. Though in their defense it was 2006 and its now 2009/2010 so they probably could be better now. Personally i really hope its ILM i consider them the best, then WETA a close second in my mind.

Octoberist
11-18-2009, 05:27 PM
right now, with certain movies like The Dark Knight or even Clash of the Titans, they would use a legion of smaller CGI companies like Framestore.

Webhead2006
11-19-2009, 12:14 AM
very possible it could end up being a smaller cgi house over a big one like ILM/WETA. Who ever will be in charge of the CGI i would is good and its visually stunning. I dont want it to look overall fake looking.

Octoberist
11-19-2009, 02:08 AM
Yeah.

One of my pet peeves is when a fictional city or world looks too fake. So I hope that Oa looks like a real physical location, not just a greenscreen set..

Webhead2006
11-19-2009, 02:21 AM
totally i want the cgi and all that to be top notch and real looking.

mclay18
01-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Some new additions to the crew:

Art directors Scott Plauche and Andrew L. Jones have joined Francois Audouy in the art department, with Anne Kuljian as set decorator. Plauche's involvement certainly solidifies the Louisiana-based production, as he served as art director on The Final Destination, Ray, Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Runaway Jury. (All of them were shot mostly or partly in the Big Easy.)

Andrew L. Jones's resume is a bit lighter. He's served as assistant art director in Beowulf and Polar Express, before graduating to a full art director with Avatar and The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn.

Ann Kuljian is the set decorator for GL. She's also worked on Spielberg films like Minority Report and War of the Worlds as well as Mummy 3, all of them CGI-heavy films. It seems that the production is in full swing, with a set production date and new crew members.

Webhead2006
01-10-2010, 10:15 PM
nice grabs. The look for GL should be great.

Watson
01-10-2010, 11:07 PM
That is some damn good sci-fi pedigree.

Octoberist
01-11-2010, 03:10 AM
they're getting plenty of top notch people here..

Nightwing 52
01-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Visually, this film should be epic.

NightBeetle
01-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Great crew additions http://www.superherohype.com/forums/images/smilies/icon14.gif

Webhead2006
01-13-2010, 01:23 AM
i cant wait to see our first tease into the green lantern world they are creating.

Retroman
01-19-2010, 04:11 AM
Good crew additions, thanks for sharing.

Two time Emmy award winner Joel Harlow (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0363355/) has also joined the ranks according to imdb (confirmed on this official site) as prosthetic makeup department head. His credits include many scifi/action movies including the Matrix and Pirates films and most recently Inception and Star Trek where he worked on the Romulans, Vulcans and Klingons.

Official site : http://www.joelharlowdesigns.com/

Also, there's this blog posting from sculptor and set construction worker Duncan Crawford's (Transformers, Iron Man 2) official blog.

December 30, 2009

Moving On

End of the year wound up being rather hectic work wise. We were really under the gun to finish up the THOR set we had been working on for past couple of months and I have to say it was massive and turned out looking pretty darned good. Still have no idea what the storyline of the film is or when in the movie our set will appear. Guess we'll have to revisit and discuss in 2011.

And once the New Year begins, I'm off to sculpt on GREEN LANTERN. Only have a few details on what we'll be working on and as usual, I'm not allowed to share.

What I can say openly though is... HAPPY NEW YEAR! There's no stoppin' 2010!

Posted by Duncan Crawford at 2:23 PMSource:http://skulboy6.blogspot.com/

Webhead2006
01-19-2010, 04:51 AM
nice finds retro

Mr. Earle
01-19-2010, 05:57 AM
I dont know which of these guys i'd get for the costumes, but i'd definitely not get Lindy Hemming. The woman doesnt even know how Batman is supposed to look, why would she know how and appreciate the GLs?

Octoberist
01-19-2010, 11:06 AM
well, Ngila Dickson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0225699/) is doing the costumes.

Webhead2006
01-19-2010, 03:39 PM
yea i think crew is very solid group of folks for the film. Totally cant wait to see the world they are creating.

conan69
02-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Nevermind

burbank52
02-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Seems to me that GL's "costume" should not be cloth, but a "second skin" created by the ring; no seams or stitching to be seen.
However, since the ring works via his will power, if he ever got knocked out the "uniform" would fade away so he better have his GL underoos on!

Webhead2006
02-10-2010, 05:49 PM
i am curious how they will do the whole costume deal myself.

Retroman
03-07-2010, 11:51 AM
GL's prosthetic makeup department head Joel Harlow is one of the nominees at tomorrow morning's (tonight in the USA) Academy Awards because for his work on Star Trek. The other nominees are The Young Victoria and Il Divo.

Best Alien Makeup/Best Makeup from Another Planet: Star Trek

This was about more than mastering the perfect swoop of Uhura’s cat-eye liner; oceans of silicone bubbled to make this adventure romp. The nomination is a first for prosthetic makeup designer Barney Burman, makeup department head Mindy Hall and prosthetic makeup supervisor Joel Harlow. Burman is known for his work on TV and in film, especially his transformation of Tom Cruise into noxious studio head Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder. Hall was makeup department head on Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps and on The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2. Harlow has Green Lantern on his CV, was the makeup artist for Johnny Depp on Alice in Wonderland and did Depp’s memorable smoky eye as a Pirate of the Caribbean.

Prosthetics and more prosthetics were involved in this space prequel; scores of Vulcan ears and Romulan brows were made ready for their close-ups. Captain Nero’s tribal/death metal ink had the unenviable task of hiding Eric Bana’s beauty, and there was an amusing bit where Kirk suffers an alarming allergic reaction. Special mention goes to the tweezer gaffer for all the perfectly arched Vulcan brows.
Source (http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars/2010/03/oscars-laying-it-on-thick-for-best-makeup.html)

BojacRedleif
03-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Ryan Reynolds mentioned that the GL costume is "snug" and that it "didn't leave much to the imagination". So maybe this costume is more faithful than the "concept art" we've seen.

Webhead2006
03-07-2010, 11:53 PM
yea i cant wait to see how makeup/costumes/effects look.

Willi Berg
03-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Ryan Reynolds mentioned that the GL costume is "snug" and that it "didn't leave much to the imagination". So maybe this costume is more faithful than the "concept art" we've seen.

It was great to hear Ryan talking about it, it really feels like it's starting now.

Here it is btw (he talks about training and the costume at 00:55):

WBufgKbtE88

JAK®
03-08-2010, 11:35 AM
We actually haven't had a classic form-fitting superhero costume on screen for a while.

dnno1
03-08-2010, 11:46 AM
He was trying to be brief so as not to spill the beans on the costume. About any of those Hollywood superhero costumes are snug. Ask anyone who played in the X-men films. About the only think his comment revealed was that it wasn't a rubber suit since he said nothing about it being hot.

mclay18
03-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Seacrest should've asked Ryan if the movie GL has him wearing the titular mask. Even though odds are that he'll be wearing it, it would've been nice to have him say no/yes/no comment.

mclay18
03-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Also, Seacrest should've asked him about the movie being in 3D too.

Octoberist
03-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Green Lantern is gonna wear his mask. that's a given. Ryan might make a funny comment about it, i guess.

Webhead2006
03-08-2010, 11:42 PM
yea no reason they wont have the mask. its very doable on screen these days. will be great once we do have that first official shot of ryan in costume. i hope they have a good pose and good lighting and all that for it. Everything was terrible in the first shot for SR suit. Which i hated that film and suit.

Doctor Jones
03-09-2010, 04:13 PM
God I remember that first SR shot of the suit. Ugh.

I'm sort of getting a Tron feeling for the GL suit. Not exactly like it but with the black and how the colors mix it could remind us of it.

Antonello Blueberry
03-10-2010, 11:54 AM
GL's prosthetic makeup department head Joel Harlow is one of the nominees at tomorrow morning's (tonight in the USA) Academy Awards because for his work on Star Trek. The other nominees are The Young Victoria and Il Divo.

Well, now we have an Oscar winner handling the aliens make-up in GL.

Antonello Blueberry
03-10-2010, 11:59 AM
double post

Webhead2006
03-11-2010, 11:56 PM
yea i so cant wait to see how everything looks.

fq2000
03-12-2010, 08:54 PM

I think it will be so cool to see what they do with the characters, right on!!!!!!!!

fq2000
03-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Green Lantern is gonna wear his mask. that's a given. Ryan might make a funny comment about it, i guess.

From What I have heard, the screen tests where made with the mask on. Can anyone link me the audition video of Bradley Cooper talking like Christian Bale.

Webhead2006
03-12-2010, 10:42 PM
yea he did mention he had a mask on. it was probably just a temp face mask deal.

Retroman
03-13-2010, 01:17 PM

Yes, it's great to see so much talent behind the camera.

There's a total of five Oscar winners; costume designer, director of photography, sfx supervisor (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0684439/), production design and now makeup.

Webhead2006
03-13-2010, 09:44 PM
yea i am liking the crew campbell has assembled for the film. i cant wait to see how the film ends up looking.

Sawyer
03-13-2010, 09:49 PM

Source (http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars/2010/03/oscars-laying-it-on-thick-for-best-makeup.html)

Wait.... the guy that did the prosthetics for Star Trek is doing GL? We're definitely in for something great! :up:

Webhead2006
03-13-2010, 09:53 PM
yea he has been known for a couple months now if i recall sawyer.

Sawyer
03-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Hmmm... I havent been paying much attention to the fine details of this movie's production. But considering how amazing the aliens in ST looked, I cant wait to see Sinestro, Abin Sur, Kilowog, the Guardians, etc.

Webhead2006
03-13-2010, 10:03 PM
oh totally that is why i hope with this guy on board any alien gls we are getting will be done with actors in makeup or posthestic work and all that. Over full blown cgi creations. Though i would figure if we are seeing any full on cgi lanterns it would be the more odd shaped guys like mogo, that fly looking one, and the other odd creature ones.

The ?ion
03-13-2010, 10:08 PM
I picked other when I voted on the poll. My choice would be Rob Bottin. His most note worthy work has been the lord of darkness from Legend, Robocop, and the makeup for Fight Club. The guy is creative and believable in most of the work he does. I have no doubt that he could come up with a really solid yet faithful costume for this film.

The ?ion
03-13-2010, 10:16 PM
oh totally that is why i hope with this guy on board any alien gls we are getting will be done with actors in makeup or posthestic work and all that. Over full blown cgi creations. Though i would figure if we are seeing any full on cgi lanterns it would be the more odd shaped guys like mogo, that fly looking one, and the other odd creature ones.

I co-sign. I prefer prosthetic work over CG unless they are prepared to go James Cameron on this and use the same technology that was used in Avatar. Since most of the alien Lanterns are humanoid, prosthetic work wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Here is a clip from "Guyver 2: Dark Hero." It is sixteen years old, and while some creatures look like rejects from a Toei film, some of the characters (Guyver and Crane) look simply amazing. Prosthetic work has surely come a long way since then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vcOgehnULc

Webhead2006
03-14-2010, 12:44 AM
totally i would think it would be a waste of time and money to do full on cgi to the lanterns that are more humaniod looking. I would only go for full on cgi versions for the ones that are not regular shaped beings like i pointed out above. i dont really know alot of gl names so i dont know names of the more odd ball ones that would work better as cgi.

Doctor Jones
03-14-2010, 10:01 AM
The guy from ST doing the prosthetics is ****ing perfect.

Webhead2006
03-14-2010, 02:25 PM
yup jones i so cant wait to see what he comes up with for gls and any other aliens we could be seeing.

Drakon
03-17-2010, 02:22 AM
Via TWITTER [GeoffJohns0] =

Saw the finalized power ring from the Green Lantern film. Yeah. It rocks. Also saw freaking SALAAK. This is AMAZING.

professorpyg
03-17-2010, 03:04 AM
Woah, what?! I think that's the first time Salaak's been confirmed for the movie! How friggin cool!

professorpyg
03-17-2010, 03:05 AM
Woah, what?! I think that's the first time Salaak's been confirmed for the movie! How friggin cool!

Octoberist
03-17-2010, 03:53 AM
I'm glad that Salaak is in the movie. It shows how much has changed since the first draft. Also, I don't recall a 'bar scene' (post-Ring) in the draft either.

dnno1
03-17-2010, 04:11 AM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/Rodents/SalaakandChp.png

But you can't have Salaak without C'hp.

Webhead2006
03-17-2010, 04:05 PM
cool news about that alien gl salaak being in the film. Really cant wait to see what the makeup/sfx guys do with the alien green lanterns.

The ?ion
03-18-2010, 05:18 AM
Salaak will be a tough one to pull off given the non humanoid shape of his skull and the multitude of extremities that he has. I imagine it will have to be an actor in a really well crafted suit, with an animatronic head. More or less, Salaak will have to be done in the same way that the xenomorphs were done in the aliens movies.

dnno1
03-18-2010, 05:23 AM
I am sure he will be CGI.

The ?ion
03-18-2010, 05:56 AM
I am sure he will be CGI.

We will have to wait and see I suppose. I am hoping for live actors, but if the CGI quality is superb and does not look out of place with live actors (e.g. Avatar) then I am all for it.

Webhead2006
03-18-2010, 01:37 PM
well i could see actor with fake arms that move and maybe a mask with motors and all that. Or they have blue/green screen on arms/head to fill in later with cgi.

The ?ion
03-19-2010, 12:51 AM
Yeah...additional mechanical arms reminds me of Goro from Mortal Kombat. I loved that movie, but even then, it never looked natural.

Octoberist
03-19-2010, 01:12 AM
but that was like 15 years ago too..

The ?ion
03-19-2010, 01:23 AM
I haven't seen any more modern examples, so that was the best one I could give.

Webhead2006
03-19-2010, 12:22 PM
yea makeup/motor suits and all that stuff is alot better today's age then say in the 80s and early 90s and all that. it would be more pratical and probably cheaper to have phsyical actors and makeup/mask then full on cgi. or like i pointed out maybe have a phsyical actor in costume but have a blue/green screen mask on and add the funky head design with cgi. i am sure we will probably get more details on the alien gl's soon enoug.

The ?ion
03-20-2010, 06:21 AM
Comic Con is only three months away. So we will find out sooner than we think.

Doctor Jones
03-20-2010, 09:33 AM
Can't wait for CC. The only good thing about last year was IM2. This year it's Thor and GL's turn. Be cool if we had some interview panel of the cast for Cap, because they would just begin filming.

Sawyer
03-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Can't wait for CC. The only good thing about last year was IM2. This year it's Thor and GL's turn. Be cool if we had some interview panel of the cast for Cap, because they would just begin filming.

Last years CC was, for the most part, a huge diappointment.

Webhead2006
03-20-2010, 02:34 PM
jones i dont think they will probably be able to attend comic con. they will probably be in mists of filming for cap if all things are good. maybe a special video appearance from cast/crew like spielbergy did with indy 4 at comic con or something like that.

But yea gl/thor and others should be a cool comic con this year.

The ?ion
03-20-2010, 02:43 PM

There was Kevin Smith's Q&A. I always get a laugh when that man tells stories. He can make any conversation entertaining and humorous.

Retroman
03-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Via TWITTER [GeoffJohns0] =

Saw the finalized power ring from the Green Lantern film. Yeah. It rocks. Also saw freaking SALAAK. This is AMAZING.

Cool!:up:

Some more additions to GL's makeup crew includes people who have worked on Constantine, Heroes, Pirates of the Caribbean, Star Trek, Indiana Jones 4, Edge Of Darkness and many more scifi/fantasy films.

From Make-Up Artist Magazine:

Green Lantern (Feature) Felicity Bowring (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0101446/), Stephen Buscaino (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0123928/), Richard Alonzo (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0022314/), David Dupuis (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0243495/)
SOURCE (http://makeupmag.com/Call%20Sheet_3-2-09.pdf)

Octoberist
03-21-2010, 07:27 PM
sweet. thanks again retro.

it's call how many of the make-up artists came from Star Trek!

MultiPurposePon
03-21-2010, 07:39 PM
If you guys want to a quick peek of the GL crew disassembling the Broome's Bar set I found a few vids:

http://www.**************.com/fansites/Poniverse/news/?a=16115

Webhead2006
03-21-2010, 11:15 PM
saw that post muli nice find there, and cool news about some more makeup crew. this is all great to hear.

mclay18
03-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Stuart Baird's IMDB profile indicates that he's working on Green Lantern. That makes it his second superhero film, after Superman: The Movie. (Baird did get co-editing credit for Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut, but Michael Thau did a lot of the work.)

Retroman
03-27-2010, 05:50 AM
^^Nice one.Yet another seasoned vet in his field plus he's also a Oscar nominee.:yay:

Variety confirms it....

Posted: Mon., Mar. 22, 2010, 4:09pm PT

Mirisch Agency bookings: production designers Patrizia von Brandenstein on Neil Burger's "Dark Fields," Sean Haworth on Matthijs van Heijningen's "The Thing" and Jay Vetter on Peter and Bobby Farrelly's "Hall Pass"; art director Sue Chan on John Requa and Glenn Ficarra's "Romantical"; costume designer Mandi Line on Lifetime's "Drop Dead Diva"; editors Barbara Tulliver on Jim Sheridan's "Dream House," Michael Jablow on ABC pilot "Wright vs. Wrong," Stuart Baird on Martin Campbell's "Green Lantern," Martin Nicholson on FX pilot "Justice," Tod Feuerman on ABC pilot "Boston PD," Mark Baldwin on CW pilot "Nikita," Tim Streeto on HBO's "Boardwalk Empire," Mark Goldblatt on David Slade's "Twilight Eclipse" and Geoffrey Rowland on HBO's "Haven"; and vfx supervisor on David Frankel's "The Big Year."Source:http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118016758.html

Webhead2006
03-27-2010, 10:09 PM
nice i really like the crew they got on board for this. it is surely going to make it look like a good quality picture.

Retroman
11-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Australia will still benefit (a little) from GL and vice versa...

From Variety:
Posted: Tue., Oct. 12, 2010, 4:00am PT

Rising Sun lights 'Lantern'

Aussie production house lends hand with WB tentpole

By Peter Caranicas

Warner Bros. is heading Down Under for some of the vfx on the upcoming feature "Green Lantern."
The work will be done by Aussie shingle Rising Sun Pictures, which will collaborate alongside major vendor Sony Pictures Imageworks to provide CG sequences.

"Green Lantern," is helmed by Martin Campbell ("Casino Royale") and stars Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively and Peter Sarsgaard. It's skedded for a summer, 2011 release.

The production will benefit from a reduction in Australia's 15% post, digital and vfx rebate threshold. However, "the government needs to do more to ensure the local industry can remain competitive on a larger scale," said RSP director Tony Clark. "The sustained strength of the Australian dollar is not helping attract lucrative, longer-term contracts to our shores."

Clark added that although "Rising Sun is pleased to have brought a fraction of the 'Green Lantern' spend back to Australia, a sliding rebate scale locked in step with the dollar up to a maximum of 30% would once again position Australia as a true competitor on the international stage."

A recent expansion at RSP enhanced its ability to serve major productions and deliver a large volume of complex effects work and character shots. The company is also working on "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part II" and the local film "Red Dog".
Source (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118025576.html)

Octoberist
11-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks again, Retro!

Dark Knight
11-14-2010, 08:41 PM
The suit looked fantastic by the way in the footage from the EW spot!

The black was in the right areas of the suit....like the comics version!

Abraham
11-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Kilowag looks absolutely awesome too and that brief hard to see shot of Sinestro made me jizz in my pants a little. Great work by the crew so far, CG artists still got a good 6 months of hard work to go and the editors certainly aren't done so heres to them bringing it all home. Cheers.

Dark Knight
11-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Does anyone know which actors have been chosen to do the voice work or Kilowog, Tomar-Re and other aliens in the film?

maenalus
11-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Does anyone know which actors have been chosen to do the voice work or Kilowog, Tomar-Re and other aliens in the film?

Nope, haven heard anything yet on that front.

Alientraveller
11-17-2010, 08:59 AM
It'd be cool if the non-human Lanterns spoke in their own languages (subtitled for the audience) to emphasise Hal understands them because of his ring. But I doubt it.

John DiMaggio for Kilowog!