PDA

View Full Version : The Official John Stewart Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Blackman
03-21-2009, 08:59 PM
http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu50/Fannboi/GL/179039-john-stewart_400-A-1.jpg

Despite their being a GL Thread, the conversations in that thread are mostly about Hal Jordan. So I made a thread dedicated to John Stewart

Do you want him in the film
How big should his role be
Which actor should play him
Etc

alexlachiusa
03-21-2009, 09:05 PM
For a second I thought this thread was about the other John Stewart.

BigSams50
03-21-2009, 10:01 PM
I think common should play him, he wasnt tht bad in wanted or street kings

Webhead2006
03-22-2009, 02:12 AM
Well as we know right now john stewart doesnt have any role in this film. Only other earth lantern that is to be seen/mentioned is guy garner. But if js was to show up in a future sequel i would love to see it happen. As for who hard to say i dont know that many black actors that would be suited well for the role, but we would have to know a bit more on what they would be doing with the character.

AnorexicBatman
03-22-2009, 02:37 AM
What about Micheal Jai White?

Philly Phanboy
03-22-2009, 07:52 AM
I'd go with Eamonn Walker (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0907708/). :up:

Blackman
03-22-2009, 08:20 AM
The sad thing is how difficult it is to come up with good young black actors.

Anyways

Common: I dont think he really has the look for John Stewart, but he is an okay actor but I rather hear his new album then see him as GL

Michael J White: Is/Was Gambol and I dont think he has the look

Lobo
03-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Idris Elba

cerealkiller182
03-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Jamie Foxx

We've seen him play bull-headed military types. John Stewart IMO has been treated as a bland character. I think Foxx would do the character justice but also add some charisma and personality to also make him likeable.

Keyser Soze
03-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Shouldn't this be moved to the sequels board?

Gilpesh
03-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Idris Elba
Ditto. He's great.

Blackman
03-22-2009, 06:12 PM
It would have been great to see David Boreneaz as Hal and Idris Elba as John. But since there casting young it's hard to say

SuperFerret
03-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Jamie Foxx

We've seen him play bull-headed military types. John Stewart IMO has been treated as a bland character. I think Foxx would do the character justice but also add some charisma and personality to also make him likeable.

I could definitely see this working.

batman44
03-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Idris Elba, he was great on The Wire.

Octoberist
03-23-2009, 04:52 PM
why doesn't John wear a mask, along with Guy?

Wesley Dodds
03-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Idris Elba. It's gotta be Stringer himself.

protocida
03-23-2009, 05:43 PM
why doesn't John wear a mask, along with Guy?
John doesn't use a mask because "he has nothing to hide".

In his early years, Guy did whore a mask. After the accident that made him who he is today, he decided that he just didn't felt like wearing it.

:cwink:

SuperFerret
03-23-2009, 06:15 PM

In his early years, Guy did whore a mask. After the accident that made him who he is today, he decided that he just didn't felt like wearing it.

You mean the Warrior thing, or the fact that Guy's an *******? :hehe:

protocida
03-23-2009, 06:27 PM
I don't know if this still counts, but, in the original comics, when Guy became a GL, he had a personality similar to Hal Jordan: A Heroic, brave and dedicated man. One day, during a mission, Guy tryed to use a "infected" battery and was send to a parallel dimension, where he went trough hell. When Hal finally rescued him, he had alredy become the aszhole when all know and love. :woot:

SuperFerret
03-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Wow. I was just making a joke, but cool. :up:

protocida
03-23-2009, 06:48 PM
No problem!

Changeling
03-25-2009, 02:32 PM

What? Lol

Btw, if we could choose from John and Guy to be in a movie, I would easily take Guy. I know everyone says this, but Guy, Kyle, and Hal are all so much more interesting. But we do need racial diversity, so I think that John should be introduced in GL2

protocida
03-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Between John and Guy, I'd choose Guy because he'd be a great character to work with, especially because of his personality. But John would follow him. Kyle would be the last one to go.

But I also think that, by the Hollywood rules, John will be next GL to appear.

GL1
03-27-2009, 08:30 AM
John is by far my fav GL, I probably won't care about this franchise until I know Stewart is on the way.

I could see Jamie Foxx doing it, as well as Lee Thompson Young, who is a bit, er, greener, but extremely talented. Imho, Colombus Short can do anything... the rest of those choices are dissonant on at least one level.

As for how big his role should be? As big as any other GL in the film, imho.

dnno1
03-28-2009, 04:43 AM
Between John and Guy, I'd choose Guy because he'd be a great character to work with, especially because of his personality. But John would follow him. Kyle would be the last one to go.

But I also think that, by the Hollywood rules, John will be next GL to appear.

Well if they followed the comics to the letter, it would be Guy (wich it seems like he will be making a cameo in the first film) and then John. Actually there is a lot of directions they could go with the character if they decide to make it a full blown film and television franchise. They could use characters like John and Kyle in a (hopefully syndicated) television series, while they use Hal, Sinestro and a few others in the film franchise. Just like in the Star Trek franchise they could have the characters from the television series make cameo apperances in the film from time to time to show continuity.

Changeling
03-28-2009, 04:44 AM
John's pretty boring. Bring on the GUY!

dnno1
03-28-2009, 04:48 AM
John's pretty boring. Bring on the GUY!

:huh:

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=John+Stewart&word2=Guy+Gardner

Changeling
03-28-2009, 05:01 AM
John Stewart is far more known than Guy is so obviously, that video doesnt hold any legitimacy...John is a far more inferior character to Guy, IMO.

dnno1
03-28-2009, 05:11 AM
John Stewart is far more known than Guy is so obviously, that video doesnt hold any legitimacy...John is a far more inferior character to Guy, IMO.

If he was boring, then why is he more popular? Who are you to say that the videos (Justice League and Justice League) unlimited are illegitimate? It gave the character exposure and the end result is that you are seeing more of the character in the comics than you did decades before as well his popularity on the Internet.

Changeling
03-28-2009, 05:16 AM
If he was boring, then why is he more popular? Who are you to say that the videos (Justice League and Justice League) unlimited are illegitimate? It gave the character exposure and the end result is that you are seeing more of the character in the comics than you did decades before as well his popularity on the Internet.
That's what you do, man. You put words into people's mouths. I was saying that John Stewart has much more exposure FROM JL and JLU. He is only more popular because he was in a HUGE TV show that MILLIONS of little kids watched.

Changeling
03-28-2009, 05:18 AM
If he was boring, then why is he more popular?

You answer your question in the next sentence man...:whatever:

dnno1
03-28-2009, 10:06 AM
That's what you do, man. You put words into people's mouths. I was saying that John Stewart has much more exposure FROM JL and JLU. He is only more popular because he was in a HUGE TV show that MILLIONS of little kids watched.

Guy, you just said that the video didn't hold any legitimacy. That means that it was illigitimate by defintion. I am not putting any words in your mouth because that is what you said. Yes, the JL and JLU series made him emensely popular. That is part of the source material and fair game. John Stewart is far from a boring character and bordom and popularity is all in who writes the character. Your statement about Stewart being borign is a misnomer.

dnno1
03-28-2009, 10:08 AM
You answer your question in the next sentence man...:whatever:

That's right, and I wouldn't expect the answer to be anything else.

protocida
03-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Both are awesome, OK?

Drakon
03-28-2009, 01:04 PM
:huh:

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=John+Stewart&word2=Guy+Gardner

To be fair, imagine all the people who were looking for Jon Stewart.

Part of the reason he was added as the main GL instead of Kyle [which woulda been easy, since he got his ring in Superman:TAS], was so that the group wasn't a bunch of white people and an alien.

Yeah, dude. You do. This is like, the fourth person to catch you on it. And I really hope this doesn't become an issue.

Changeling
03-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Well, let's all just settle on the fact that ALL Green Lanterns are friggin awesome. :D

Drakon
03-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Duck Dodgers was the best. :p

Changeling
03-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Haha I still have got to see that.

dnno1
03-30-2009, 12:46 AM
To be fair, imagine all the people who were looking for Jon Stewart.

And the folks who were looking for the astronaut Guy Gardener. You have a point there. Here are more refined ones:

http://www.yahoofight.net/?kw1=green%20lantern%20john%20stewart&kw2=green%20lantern%20guy%20gardener

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=green+lantern+john+stewart&word2=green+lantern+guy+gardner

I guess John is still popular.

Part of the reason he was added as the main GL instead of Kyle [which woulda been easy, since he got his ring in Superman:TAS], was so that the group wasn't a bunch of white people and an alien.

So what are you trying to say here? He is popular now and I would hardly say that he is boring.

Yeah, dude. You do. This is like, the fourth person to catch you on it. And I really hope this doesn't become an issue.

So are you trying to tell me to shut up and let this guy continue to post untruths about these characters? Get real.

Drakon
03-30-2009, 12:58 AM
And the folks who were looking for the astronaut Guy Gardener. You have a point there. Here is a more refined one:

http://www.yahoofight.net/?kw1=green%20lantern%20john%20stewart&kw2=green%20lantern%20guy%20gardener

I guess John is still popular.

Comparatively speaking, I guess. He has the better haircut. :p

So what are you trying to say here? He is popular now and I would hardly say that he is boring.

I don't think I can break it down further than that. He was added to the team, and the show became a hit. If the show had tanked, then there's a very good chance he'd not be nearly as popular as he is now.

So are you trying to tell me to shut up and let this guy continue to post untruths about these characters? Get real.

No. If I was gonna do that, then I'd just tell you to do so--I don't play coy. Or I would have just disciplined you. Despite the fact that his argument is very valid, the point I was specifically commenting on is "That's what you do, man. You put words into people's mouths."

dnno1
03-30-2009, 01:17 AM
Comparatively speaking, I guess. He has the better haircut. :p

Fair enough.

I don't think I can break it down further than that. He was added to the team, and the show became a hit. If the show had tanked, then there's a very good chance he'd not be nearly as popular as he is now.

And Changeling would have been justified in his statement, but we all know that the show didn't tank and he is popular (moreso than Guy). Now as a sanity check we can look had John vs a lesser used character in the series, Aquaman. Here is the result:

http://www.yahoofight.net/?kw1=green%20lantern%20john%20stewart&kw2=aquaman

I guess that doesn't speak too well about Guy.

No. If I was gonna do that, then I'd just tell you to do so--I don't play coy. Or I would have just disciplined you. Despite the fact that his argument is very valid, the point I was specifically commenting on is "That's what you do, man. You put words into people's mouths."

Hey, I just asked the guy a question: "Who are you to say that the videos (Justice League and Justice League) unlimited are illegitimate?" All he had to do was answer the question, but instead he accused me of putting words in his mouth. The truth of the matter was I didn't. Sure, he said that the Google fight was illegitemate, but my point was that it really doesn't matter if he polled well in an internet search result. What does is that he was in a TV series and was popular -- not boring at all.

Drakon
03-30-2009, 01:53 AM
And Changeling would have been justified in his statement, but we all know that the show didn't tank and he is popular (moreso than Guy). Now as a sanity check we can look had John vs a lesser used character in the series, Aquaman. Here is the result:

http://www.yahoofight.net/?kw1=green%20lantern%20john%20stewart&kw2=aquaman

I guess that doesn't speak too well about Guy.

Well, to be fair, Aquaman has a fair share of popularity between the old Superfriends show, and all the shows making fun of him [like the Family Guy spoofs]. If you really wanted to do something, I'd say try someone who hasn't been on TV much, like Guy vs. Blue Beetle or something.

Colossal Spoons
03-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Blair Underwood :up:

RockSP
04-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Of the choices on the poll I would say either Columbus Short or Derek Luke. Definitely not Tyrese...who should never be in any movie EVER, or Common who is my mother #@$$% when it comes to rapping but can't act for @#$% (at least not yet).

GL1
04-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Lee Thompson Young or Columbus Short would be great for an origin of John movie.

I like the idea of a TV show with John while there's a movie with Hal, that sounds pretty awesome.

There's really no doubting John's awesomeness. Read GL Vol. 4, read GL: Mosaic, watch the Cartoons, read GL Vol. 2... Stewart has ALWAYS been awesome. You don't need google to prove that... just read the comics. The only time he's been boring is in Kyle's run, and that is a writer issue, since every other writer has shown John to be awesome.

Guy had a GL stint first, but John was a full time Lantern first.

protocida
04-13-2009, 12:53 PM
John is cool. :up:

GL1
04-14-2009, 07:20 AM
Just a few cool things John has done in the past couple years

-Taken out the Bedovian sniper who was dropping GLs left and right at the beginning of the Sinestro Corps war.

- Pushed the ring past its willpower limit, something that was impossible heretofore

- Taken Superman out of a fight with one blow

Clearly not 'boring' to people who read comics.

I won't even touch on his stint as full time GL in Vol. 2, and honestly, no one can have read Mosaic and ever think of John as boring. If you read some GL other than Kyle's run, you'll know what's up.

protocida
04-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Johns saved John. :hehe:

RockSP
04-14-2009, 03:56 PM
- Taken Superman out of a fight with one blow

I don't remember this one...what happened?

louiebling$
04-14-2009, 04:03 PM
I'd go with Eamonn Walker (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0907708/). :up:
he is great on KINGS.... i like him or the ALLSTATE guy :hehe:

protocida
04-14-2009, 05:35 PM
John, alongside the Justice League, goes to Ferris Aircraft to interrogate Hal about Coast City's "return" in Green Lantern: Rebirth. During the conversation, John is infected with Parallax, and becomes enraged of Batman accusing Hal of killing more people, so, he attacks the League. Superman tries to reason with him, and John knocks him down by attacking him eyes (His "weak point").

RockSP
04-14-2009, 07:05 PM
^^Oh yeah. That one didn't make much sense.

protocida
04-14-2009, 07:14 PM
I think it did. Two focused blasts in the eyes must hurt. Even for Superman.

Blackman
04-14-2009, 07:49 PM
I'm surprised Common is winning the poll

Wesley Dodds
04-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Common is more or less the only casting decision of George Millers that i actually liked...

RockSP
04-14-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm surprised Common is winning the poll

A lot of the voters probably don't know the other choices. Common can't act :csad:

protocida
04-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Let's wait Terminator Salvation, his first REAL supporting role.

Blackman
04-14-2009, 08:05 PM
But imo Common doesnt even look like John the only similarity is that their both black and Common is nothing more than a mediocre/rising action star

protocida
04-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Common looks A LOT like JLU John.

Blackman
04-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Common looks A LOT like JLU John.
???

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb306/shinlord/UpStart/CommonGreenLantern.jpg
http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu50/Fannboi/GL/b137103371.jpg

They dont look alike at all imo besides the beard

protocida
04-14-2009, 08:47 PM
I think he does.

With the JLU version.

Blackman
04-14-2009, 08:49 PM
there not even the same complexion

protocida
04-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Alright, alright...

Moving on...

Blackman
04-14-2009, 09:06 PM
^^^
Ok

How would you guys want him handled in the film
in the first GL draft script i read that a ring lingers by a coach named last named Gardner I would like to see a similar thing with Stewart

RockSP
04-14-2009, 09:08 PM
there not even the same complexion

Can't really go by that. They don't really do different skintones in comics and cartoons.

Wesley Dodds
04-15-2009, 05:24 AM
^^^
Ok

How would you guys want him handled in the film
in the first GL draft script i read that a ring lingers by a coach named last named Gardner I would like to see a similar thing with Stewart

The best way to do it is as a straight book-to-screen port of the way they first met each other in Secret Origins.
Have Hal and he get into a bar brawl at the beginning before he gets the power ring...

Ibn
04-16-2009, 02:33 AM
Blair Underwood :up:

Hell yeah! That is one brilliant actor in just about the right age bracket.

I would have completely voted for Idris Elba, because he's probably my favorite young black actor right now. But I really want him to be Spawn.

Wesley Dodds
04-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Blair Underwood used to be my top choice for John, but these days i'm more inclined to think of him as a better Black Panther...

Spawn!? Where are you posting from, Ibn? 1997?:hehe:

GL1
04-16-2009, 08:16 AM

GL: Rebirth, the JLA was investigating the whole Hal thing, and John got a little to Parallaxy, put Batman in his place and said something about "even the strongest buildings have weak points" before sending two thin blasts of energy into Superman's eyes. He was grabbing his face and stuff.

What is really crazy to me about the GL Mythos is how toned down they are nowadays, even with all the colorfulness and galaxy spanning, I remember back when John was the main GL and he and Katma were running together and had to question some memory wiping chick, Katma just programmed her ring to restore their memories after they got far enough away. It was so uber, I'm thinking... who on Earth can stand up to that!?

RockSP
04-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Hell yeah! That is one brilliant actor in just about the right age bracket.

If they want someone like Pine for the role of Hal then Underwood wouldn't be in the right age bracket. John isn't older than Hal.

Ibn
04-16-2009, 01:41 PM
If they want someone like Pine for the role of Hal then Underwood wouldn't be in the right age bracket. John isn't older than Hal.

.............Who?:csad:

Blair Underwood used to be my top choice for John, but these days i'm more inclined to think of him as a better Black Panther...

Spawn!? Where are you posting from, Ibn? 1997?:hehe:

Welp the rebooted Batman after 7 years, and **** Hulk after what 5. Here's hoping.

AnorexicBatman
04-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Chris "The Goddamn Kaptain Kirk" Pine! That's who!

Changeling
04-16-2009, 02:22 PM
What? You mean for Hal?

Ion Kenshin
04-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Yes

Changeling
04-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Yes what? Im confused

Changeling
04-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Cuz youre like answering for him...

RockSP
04-16-2009, 02:30 PM
What's so confusing? Pine has been rumored to be in talks with the studio about playing Jordan.

So like I said, if they are going for Pine (or someone his age) it would make little sense to have someone playing John who is so much older than him.

aroundthefur33
04-16-2009, 02:31 PM
at first, i thought common would be great, but i really like Idris Elba after the office and recently seeing rocknrolla

Blackman
04-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Idris Elba would be first if they were casting realistically but since theyre prob going young i vote Columbus Short.
Check Elba out in the Wire if you havent seen him

Blackman
04-16-2009, 07:29 PM
ALso Watch the new trailer for the movie Armored and you'll see Columbus Short looking like JLU John
fwG0evjnhlU

D-Man22
04-16-2009, 07:32 PM
No he doesn't. He looks like Chris Rock. Are you trying to say that Chris Rock looks like John Steward?

Blackman
04-16-2009, 07:38 PM
No he doesn't. He looks like Chris Rock. Are you trying to say that Chris Rock looks like John Steward?
i'm sorry but what the hell are you talking about lol
They dont look alike except for one thing

D-Man22
04-16-2009, 07:40 PM
You said the guy in the trailer looks like JLU John but he doesn't he looks more like Chris Rock.

Blackman
04-16-2009, 07:42 PM
You said the guy in the trailer looks like JLU John but he doesn't he looks more like Chris Rock.
and I said what are you talking about they dont look alike except for one things and alot of ppl have this one thing in common

Infinity9999x
04-16-2009, 07:43 PM

He doesn't look like Chris Rock at all.:huh:

D-Man22
04-16-2009, 07:44 PM
:lol: Yes but you originally said

ALso Watch the new trailer for the movie Armored and you'll see Columbus Short looking like JLU John
fwG0evjnhlU

GL1
04-17-2009, 12:03 PM
I dare someone to post a comparison shot and tell me that Chris Rock looks like Colombus Short. I understand that it takes exposure to be able to tell people of different races apart easily. If you don't hang with Klingons, then they all look the same to you. I get it, that's fine.

But when you're corrected, you gotta take it. Colombus Short doesn't look like Chris Rock, or particularly like JLU John (which is not the target). He simply has the JLU hairstyle, which doesn't make him look like him, any more than giving Tom Cruise a bowl cut makes him look like Guy Gardener.

Infinity9999x
04-17-2009, 12:34 PM
I dare someone to post a comparison shot and tell me that Chris Rock looks like Colombus Short. I understand that it takes exposure to be able to tell people of different races apart easily. If you don't hang with Klingons, then they all look the same to you. I get it, that's fine.

But when you're corrected, you gotta take it. Colombus Short doesn't look like Chris Rock, or particularly like JLU John (which is not the target). He simply has the JLU hairstyle, which doesn't make him look like him, any more than giving Tom Cruise a bowl cut makes him look like Guy Gardener.

I agree, like I said above, he doesn't look like Chris Rock at all.

Blackman
04-17-2009, 03:31 PM
http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu50/Fannboi/GL/img_00601.jpg

I think he has the look of a younger version of JLU John but in my dream cast (where age doesnt really matter then I would say Idris Elba.

and thank you for ppl agreeing that he looked nothing like Chris Rock

RockSP
04-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Heh. Wow...I thought someone saying Jamie Foxx looks like Terrence Howard in the Iron Man movie thread was wierd. Chris Rock and Columbus Short...? :huh::huh::huh:

Lobo
04-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Columbus Short actually said no to the John Stewart role during the Justice League movie days.

Idris Elba, my top John choice, is now in another DC movie, The Losers. Not sure who my top pick is now.

Blackman
04-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Columbus Short actually said no to the John Stewart role during the Justice League movie days.

Idris Elba, my top John choice, is now in another DC movie, The Losers. Not sure who my top pick is now.

ya he said it was too popcorn for his taste but if the GL series is the DC Comics Star Wars i'm pretty sure he would sign on

RockSP
04-17-2009, 06:53 PM
ya he said it was too popcorn for his taste

*Snicker*...like Stomp The Yard and Armored are "deep" :hehe:.

Blackman
04-17-2009, 06:58 PM
*Snicker*...like Stomp The Yard and Armored are "deep" :hehe:.
lol i was going to make a crack at Stomp the Yard...I hate movies like that where all black actors need to do is dance

GL1
04-20-2009, 01:52 PM

I forgot about that.

I used to be down for Derek Luke... even made a fantrailer... I don't really know so much nowadays though...

Changeling
04-20-2009, 06:25 PM
What's so confusing? Pine has been rumored to be in talks with the studio about playing Jordan.

So like I said, if they are going for Pine (or someone his age) it would make little sense to have someone playing John who is so much older than him.

Reread what they said. It was confusing because someone just randomly said "Chris Pine that's who" and this is a John Stewart thread. It wouldnt make sense for someone to just randomly say Chris Pine in a John Stewart thread. Then I asked if he meant for Pine to be Jordan, and then some other person randomly answered for him. Then I was confused because I didnt know what the guy that first posted "Chris Pine that's who" meant by what he said because he never answered my question himself.

RockSP
04-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Well if you go a couple posts above that I was the one who mentioned Pine...for Hal. Then the next poster asked "who" and the next poster answered Chris Pine.

It's no big deal, though.

protocida
04-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Should John be a Marine or a Architect?

Blackman
04-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Marine.......

Colossal Spoons
04-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Can't he be a Marine that's good at architecture? I mean, they're gonna have to explain why his constructs are so damn intricate haha.

Webhead2006
04-20-2009, 10:23 PM
yea you could easily have him be both he could have been an architect who then joined the marines,etc......

RockSP
04-20-2009, 10:28 PM
In the comics when they retconned him into a marine they explained he joined to pay his way through college. He's an architect who is a former marine.

Colossal Spoons
04-20-2009, 10:34 PM
That'll fit perfectly in the movie :up:

Webhead2006
04-20-2009, 10:34 PM
yea it can easily work.

GL1
04-21-2009, 07:16 AM
And it makes VASTLY more sense than joining the Marines after being an Architect. :)

protocida
04-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Agreed. :)

Webhead2006
04-21-2009, 12:51 PM
totally.

protocida
04-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Nice. :)

Changeling
04-21-2009, 02:30 PM
I love that idea. lol @ joining Marines after being an architect. Man, that would suck

protocida
04-21-2009, 02:34 PM
:hehe:

AnorexicBatman
04-21-2009, 02:35 PM
He would DRAW a lot of fire though... *badam pssh! :hehe:*

okay slap me...

protocida
04-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Slap? I'LL PUNCH YOU!

Changeling
04-21-2009, 03:13 PM

Man of Tomorrow
04-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Here's another actor for John.

Demore Barnes (6'1). He just left "The Unit" after 4 seasons:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0055567/

http://media.movieweb.com/news/12.2007/unit.jpg

http://www.poptower.com/images/db/3410/420/300/demore-barnes.jpg

AnorexicBatman
04-24-2009, 03:06 AM
Screw the ring... the dude can kill just by looking at you... scary...
Somebody manip glowing green eyes onto him...

Ion Kenshin
04-24-2009, 08:22 AM
That guy does look like a no nonsense kinda guy. I wouldnt **** with that guy.

protocida
04-24-2009, 11:00 AM

Changeling
04-24-2009, 02:54 PM
He scares the **** outta me

protocida
04-24-2009, 03:16 PM
He looks like an action figure on the 2 pic. :hehe:

GL1
04-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Dang. That's a lot of presence to mess with. Give him some solid lines and some solid delivery and you have one helluva John Stewart.

C. Lee
04-24-2009, 07:27 PM
How about James Black http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0085316/

Ion Kenshin
04-24-2009, 07:43 PM
He looks the part and he has been on some good shows

protocida
04-24-2009, 07:47 PM
He looks like John.

Man of Tomorrow
04-24-2009, 07:47 PM
And will be 50 years old by the time a sequel with JS comes out.

protocida
04-24-2009, 07:51 PM
I did not knew that.

Webhead2006
04-24-2009, 08:58 PM
how old was the john stewart when he was given his gl ring?

protocida
04-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Mid-20s/mid-30s, if I'm not mistaken.

Blackman
04-25-2009, 02:18 PM
around Hal's age I think

RockSP
04-25-2009, 03:15 PM
He's supposed to be younger than Hal, though it's possible they've retconned that too.

Wheels
04-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Djimon Hounsou

RockSP
04-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Djimon Hounsou

John Stewart with a heavy accent...? Nah.

protocida
04-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Idris Elba might be good.

Man of Tomorrow
04-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Elba would work if someone as old as Worthington is cast.

Hopefully that's the case!

protocida
04-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Yeah.

Webhead2006
04-25-2009, 07:47 PM
thanks for the john ages guys i was just wondering what it was in the comics when he became a lantern.

protocida
04-25-2009, 08:25 PM
I believe all of them (except Kyle) we're mid-20s/30s when they became GLs.

Webhead2006
04-26-2009, 06:24 PM
ah ok

protocida
04-26-2009, 07:54 PM

Matt
04-28-2009, 06:07 PM
How about Erik King from Dexter?

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r62/stref2001/bio-king.jpg

Lobo
04-28-2009, 06:45 PM
^I like that

Matt
04-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Thank you, I'm suprised no one else mentioned it. I've been watching Dexter for 4 days and its just like, "Holy ****...this is John Stewart!"

greenlantern248
04-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Yeah I can really see Erik as John

Ion Kenshin
04-29-2009, 08:08 AM
I'd be totally cool with him playing John. He is great on Dexter

protocida
04-30-2009, 05:06 PM
He's great, but there's something about him that screams "Psycho" for me. :hehe:

I think it's the eyes...

Wesley Dodds
04-30-2009, 05:07 PM
I'd prefer Erik King to be Luke Cage.

That'd be great!

protocida
04-30-2009, 05:21 PM
I like Tyreese Gibson as Luke Cage. :)

Webhead2006
04-30-2009, 05:22 PM
has there been any more movement on luke cage film?

protocida
04-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Not really. I believe even John Singleton left the boat.

RockSP
04-30-2009, 06:34 PM
I believe even John Singleton left the boat.

If true...:applaud:grin::applaud:up::up::applaud

Blackman
04-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Singleton is one of the better black directors out there. Boyz n da Hood, Four Brothers, Higher Learning. I would have been happy if he made it

protocida
04-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Me too.

RockSP
04-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Singleton is one of the worst directors out there (besides Boyz N The Hood). And he wanted his muse Tyrese for Cage. If there's any justice, neither will be involved.

protocida
04-30-2009, 06:51 PM
You don't like Tyreese?

RockSP
04-30-2009, 06:54 PM
As an actor? Nope. He's a decent singer.

protocida
04-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Ok.

Webhead2006
04-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Yea i havent heard anything on other marvel guys getting films besides cap/avengers/im2 and possibly doc strange for 2012/13 period.

Drakon
04-30-2009, 10:13 PM
About a year ago, I woulda been stoked for Doc Strange.

Lobo
04-30-2009, 10:25 PM
^What happened?

Drakon
04-30-2009, 10:41 PM
Twylight.

Lobo
04-30-2009, 10:42 PM
I've never read the books, or saw that movie.

Drakon
04-30-2009, 10:52 PM
I've seen half of Twylight. And with the success they had with that crapfest, I'm afraid that'd give them a directional angle.

Webhead2006
04-30-2009, 11:07 PM
i dont see what twilight has to do with doc strange.

protocida
05-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Dr. Strange will (If nothing bad happens) Neil Gaiman in the Script and Guilhermo Del Toro in the direction. There's no way it'll fail.

Oh, and there's also a Runaways movie in works.

Webhead2006
05-01-2009, 03:37 PM
i remember hearing that myself but its probably not going to happening to 2013-2015 range i feel.

protocida
05-01-2009, 04:15 PM
I believe it'll be the 1 movie of Marvel's second storage of movies.

Changeling
05-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Here's another actor for John.

Demore Barnes (6'1). He just left "The Unit" after 4 seasons:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0055567/

http://media.movieweb.com/news/12.2007/unit.jpg

http://www.poptower.com/images/db/3410/420/300/demore-barnes.jpg
Love it!

protocida
05-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I can see it. :up:

GL1
05-11-2009, 09:35 AM
As long as they portray John smart... he's usually the long range and unorthodox thinker (as opposed to Jordan's unorthodox doing) of the GL corps, I'd like to see that come out in his onscreen appearances.

Blackman
05-11-2009, 03:16 PM
:up:

Blackman
05-11-2009, 03:48 PM
http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu50/Fannboi/GL/glso03.jpg
I would love this scene in a sequel

Changeling
05-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Who won that fight?
That's Hal and John right?

javphonic
05-12-2009, 11:48 AM
I think Lee Thompson would be best for the role, especially since he's young and could do the role if they ever decide to do a GH fillm with John Stewart's later down the line

batlovescatDC
05-12-2009, 12:07 PM
I don't want John in this film. Save him for the sequel.

protocida
05-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Who won that fight?
That's Hal and John right?
Neither, I believe. They just went kick other marines/pilots asses.

Webhead2006
05-12-2009, 12:54 PM
i do like lee thompson's work i have seen him in over the years but since he is currently's smallville's cyborg i dont think wb would want to use him as another character. Even though yea smallville is just tv show and films are different.

Blackman
05-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Nobody supports ma boy Columbus Short:cmad:
lol

cerealkiller182
05-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Jamie Foxx has always been my favorite. Not only because he has pulled off the bull-headed, military type successfully twice, but because I think he'll be able to add some personality to a character that has infamously been written bland a number of times.

Wesley Dodds
05-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Jamie Foxx is my choice for Mr. Teriffic. I think he'd be... Well, terrific!

Lobo
05-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Nobody supports ma boy Columbus Short:cmad:
lol

Well, he's already in The Losers, which looks to be awesome btw.

Blackman
05-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Just wondering: What does the Losers have to do with Columbus Short as John Stewart?
Unless they put John in the GL movie, then it shouldnt interfere with casting right?

Lobo
05-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Just wondering: What does the Losers have to do with Columbus Short as John Stewart?
Unless they put John in the GL movie, then it shouldnt interfere with casting right?

It just means he'd be in another DC movie. Some fans can't handle that.

cerealkiller182
05-12-2009, 03:24 PM
cuz some fans are looney possessive people who have trouble separating elements.

Imagine if they were casting directors, no one would ever have the more than one role.

Blackman
05-12-2009, 03:27 PM
It just means he'd be in another DC movie. Some fans can't handle that.
lol ya I thought about that too
but hey JDM is in Watchmen and now hes gonna be in The Losers.
My thing is as long as the characters are not set within the main DC Superverse (Batman, Superman, Wonder WOman, etc.) then sure you can play 2 characters

OT: I just realized the director for The Losers is Tim Story:csad:

RockSP
05-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Jamie Foxx has always been my favorite. Not only because he has pulled off the bull-headed, military type successfully twice,

If they are going with someone Chris Pine's age then Foxx is too old. And Stewart isn't the "bull-headed military type" anyway.

cerealkiller182
05-12-2009, 03:50 PM
If they are going with someone Chris Pine's age then Foxx is too old. And Stewart isn't the "bull-headed military type" anyway.

I dont really think age should even be a factor. And they have been turning Stewart into military type since JLU. Its not like other GLs are saying "Oh John you bull-headed military type" but next to Hal's hothead, Guy's showoff, and Kyle's naivity, John comes off pretty bull-headed. It might be the wrong word. More "by the book"

Webhead2006
05-12-2009, 03:51 PM
i thought it was some guy name waite/white directing losers.

cerealkiller182
05-12-2009, 03:54 PM
yea Tim Story isnt directing Losers. Its Sylvain White, who if you look at their filmography, it might as well be Tim Story, but someone said he came from the same class or roots or something of a couple other fan-fave directors. I forget the details though.

Webhead2006
05-12-2009, 03:56 PM
well i know next to nothing of the losers or the director but i am giving it a chance once i see footage.

Lobo
05-12-2009, 03:57 PM
lol ya I thought about that too
but hey JDM is in Watchmen and now hes gonna be in The Losers.
My thing is as long as the characters are not set within the main DC Superverse (Batman, Superman, Wonder WOman, etc.) then sure you can play 2 characters

OT: I just realized the director for The Losers is Tim Story:csad:

Story has been off of The Losers for quite some time now. Sylvain White will be directing.

Blackman
05-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Well thats good that Story isnt directing. IDK about the other guy

Man of Tomorrow
05-12-2009, 05:11 PM
If Worthington is Hal, I wouldnt mind Common as JS.

It would be amusing.

protocida
05-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Ditto.

RockSP
05-12-2009, 06:16 PM
No rappers.

Project862006
05-12-2009, 06:23 PM
who gives a crap if he is a rapper he is a good actor that is all that should matter

Blackman
05-12-2009, 06:30 PM
but hes not that good of an actor, so.......
or at least I should say from the movies I have seen him in Wanted, Smoking Aces, Street Kings, and American Gangster he doesnt seem like that good of an actor

RockSP
05-12-2009, 06:34 PM
who gives a crap if he is a rapper he is a good actor that is all that should matter

I wouldn't give a crap either if he actually was a good actor...but like most rappers turned actors...he isn't.

There are plenty of real actors to choose from.

Project862006
05-12-2009, 06:38 PM
he doesn't suck he has been good in everything i have seen him in he is no christian bale or anything but he is the only one on the list that looks like john.

Blackman
05-12-2009, 06:41 PM
he doesnt even look like John imo

RockSP
05-12-2009, 06:48 PM
he doesn't suck he has been good in everything i have seen him in

We obviously disagree. Again, a real actor should play John. Nobody is suggesting Eminem for Hal...

he is no christian bale or anything but he is the only one on the list that looks like john.

Lol...you act like the filmmakers have to pick someone from the shh list. And John doesn't have a specific look.

Project862006
05-12-2009, 07:57 PM
because eminem doesn't remotely look like hal LOL

I SEE SPIDEY
05-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Common hasn't impressed me as an actor...at all.

RockSP
05-13-2009, 07:11 AM
because eminem doesn't remotely look like hal LOL

He looks as much like Hal as Common does John.

And you obviously missed my point. Real actor for Hal, real actor for John.

Ion Kenshin
05-13-2009, 11:29 AM
So let me get this straight if you were a music artist first than became an actor your are not are real actor and vice versa :huh:

RockSP
05-13-2009, 12:02 PM
So let me get this straight if you were a music artist first than became an actor your are not are real actor and vice versa :huh:

Oh please. No one said people can't be multi-talented. Mos Def, for example. The point is Com Sense is not a good actor. Most singers (not just rappers) who cross over to acting aren't good at it and get roles because of their fame. Maybe he'll get better...hopefully he will, since people keep casting him in movies.

There are actual trained actors who don't sound like they are reading lines who can play John Stewart.

Ion Kenshin
05-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Oh please. No one said people can't be multi-talented. Mos Def, for example. The point is Com Sense is not a good actor. Most singers (not just rappers) who cross over to acting aren't good at it and get roles because of their fame. Maybe he'll get better...hopefully he will, since people keep casting him in movies.

There are actual trained actors who don't sound like they are reading lines who can play John Stewart.
See this I can deal with. You originally stated real actor. If you are acting in films whether you are a good actor or not you are still an actor.

chamber-music
05-13-2009, 01:43 PM
he doesnt even look like John imo

Agreed I don't think I've seen a comic where John looks at all like Common

RockSP
05-13-2009, 01:43 PM
See this I can deal with. You originally stated real actor. If you are acting in films whether you are a good actor or not you are still an actor.

Yeah right. That's like saying Macho Man Randy Savage is a real rapper because he put out that album...

Ion Kenshin
05-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Yeah right. That's like saying Macho Man Randy Savage is a real rapper because he put out that album...
NO that just means you are a one trick pony.

RockSP
05-13-2009, 01:49 PM
NO that just means you are a one trick pony.

:huh: Uh yeah. Whatever.

I'm sure most people knew what I meant when I said real actor. It doesn't need a ton of explanation.

Ion Kenshin
05-13-2009, 01:55 PM
:huh: Uh yeah. Whatever.

I'm sure most people knew what I meant when I said real actor. It doesn't need a ton of explanation.
Whatever works. It's all a matter of opinion anyway.

Drakon
05-13-2009, 04:30 PM

"Be a man Hulk! Don't be skurred! You runnin' from Macho, that's what I heard!!"

Blackman
05-24-2009, 03:03 PM
I hope after seeing TS ppl will see Common as a less than adequate actor:hehe:

RockSP
05-24-2009, 04:58 PM
I didn't need to see Terminator to tell you that...but yes he was terrible as usual.

Webhead2006
05-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Well to be honest his character didnt do much in the film so you cant really judge him on that one character. As for his other films i havent seen them myself.

Blackman
05-24-2009, 07:16 PM
But that one scene lol:
"It's beautiful man, look at it"
When Connor and him killed that HunterKiller

but as you said Ive seen his other films and he is very mechanic

RockSP
05-24-2009, 07:26 PM
The size of the role doesn't really matter. If you suck, you suck.

Kevin Smith
05-26-2009, 11:47 AM
I'd like Common to play him. I think he'd do fine. I think he should show up in a JLA movie if they don't use Hal Jordan, maybe even if they do.

CB Fan
06-03-2009, 04:54 PM
So out of all the suggestions I would have to say Derek Luke because He's young and talented, I like Idris but he looks way too old.

javphonic
06-05-2009, 12:19 AM
woot! Lee Thompson Young, the talent and the youth to still be able to play this role when/if the film comes out in years to come
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/6250/lty.png (http://img74.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lty.png)

Webhead2006
06-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Yea i have enjoyed his work over the yrs on jett jackson on disney in the late 90s/early 00s and his few appearances on smallville as victor stone/cyborg. If they did choose him for john i would be down with him.

Colossal Spoons
06-05-2009, 09:00 AM
He's great on TV shows but did you see him The Hills Have Eyes 2? God, everybody's acting was horrible lol

javphonic
06-05-2009, 10:25 AM
^maybe the script was partially to blame, I mean, not to make excuses as I've never watched the film, was the dialogue cheesy?

RockSP
06-05-2009, 11:48 AM
was the dialogue cheesy?

That's a safe assumption for a movie titled The Hills Have Eyes 2...:hehe:

Blackman
06-05-2009, 01:17 PM
He was good in Friday Night Lights

Webhead2006
06-05-2009, 05:45 PM
YEa and even good actors can have a bad film/acting in a film some times. Other times its the director not getting better acting out of the actors or the script was crap and the actors are just doing it for the paycheck.

greenlantern248
06-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Common was also in American Gangster, and he really didn't do a whole lot, he was mostly there in the background.

Dog Brother #1
06-06-2009, 05:24 PM
I wish all the Common hate would stop. It's unfounded. But for John Stewart I want Taye Diggs. He is such an underrated actor, and he would do an awesome job in this supporting role.

RockSP
06-06-2009, 05:54 PM
I wish all the Common hate would stop. It's unfounded.

:huh: He's been in several movies and been bad in them all. Hardly "unfounded". And I can only speak for myself but I don't "hate" Com. He just can't act.

Dog Brother #1
06-06-2009, 06:14 PM
I disagree. So far all the roles I've seen Com in have been such minor backround roles that didn't have a whole lot of substance to them. That being said, I don't think he was that bad in any of them, especially given what little he was given to work with. Granted he won't be winning an oscar anytime soon, but he's a hell of alot better actor than Jason Statham or Vin Diesel, who seem to be able to keep headlining movies of their own somehow. Seriously, how do those two keep getting work?

RockSP
06-06-2009, 06:26 PM
. Seriously, how do those two keep getting work?

:hehe: I don't go see their flicks, either...

Blackman
06-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Just watch the Terminator Salvation scene.
"ITS BEAUTIFUL" lol hes a bad actor great rapper

Jake Cassidy
06-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Yeah, he's one of the very few rappers I can listen to and not throw up. :woot:

Mos Def. Now there's one rapper who can act.

Blackman
06-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Mos Def, Will Smith, LL Cool J
are a few good rapper actors that I can think of off the top of my head

Jake Cassidy
06-06-2009, 10:42 PM

Don't forget Vanilla Ice. :oldrazz:

Webhead2006
06-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Yes mos def is cool i seen a few of his films. He came to my school last yr to talk about something i cant remember offhand i went to it pretty good speaker too.

Some times yea some rappers should just stick to rapping and stay out of the world of acting.

Blackman
06-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Top Choices

1. Columbus Short
2. Lee Thompson
3. cant even think of one

RockSP
06-07-2009, 04:37 PM

Mos Def, Most Definitely. Of course, he's been acting as long as he's been rapping. Will has gotten alright I guess, but LL? :down

Panthro
06-14-2009, 06:13 PM
I'm sorry if this was mentioned before but what about Chiwetel Ejiofor for John Stewart?

Jake Cassidy
06-14-2009, 06:27 PM
I'm sorry if this was mentioned before but what about Chiwetel Ejiofor for John Stewart?

:up:

He has been mentioned a few times and he's the best damn choice, imo.

Blackman
06-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Ejiofor is T'Challa/Black Panther

Panthro
06-14-2009, 07:37 PM
Ejiofor is T'Challa/Black Panther
Well that works too. The man definitely has charisma, now he needs a big well made mainstream film to showcase it.

Webhead2006
06-14-2009, 08:13 PM
could work for either.

RockSP
06-14-2009, 08:20 PM
I could see him as Stewart, but I don't know about Panther...

protocida
06-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Blair Underwood is my choice:

http://spotlightonentertainment.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/underwood_b.jpghttp://web.hotsitepanini.com.br/aguerradosaneis/img/membros/john_stewart.jpg

dnno1
06-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Underwood would be a safe choice (a familiar well spoken seasoned TV actor, if not on film). It is strange that he wasn't even consider for the role in the "Justice League: Mortal" project.

Man of Tomorrow
06-26-2009, 03:36 PM
He wasn't considered because he's too old.

He was born in 64.

dnno1
06-26-2009, 10:12 PM
He wasn't considered because he's too old.

He was born in 64.

In all sincerity, if you just look at the date of birth, certainly you will conclude that a person is too old.

AZHBx_uV7hQ

This was an interview of Underwood at the Golden Globes earlier this year. Honestly the guy doesn't look a day over 35 if you ask me and, in truth, the guy they did choose for GL in JL:M was 35. If you shaved Underwoods head he would look 15 years younger than that. You want to know something else? Avery Brooks was 45 when he took the role of Captain Cisco in ST:DS9 (head shaven) and he was in that role for 7 years. I don't believe that anyone was complaining about him looking too old. I don't think a (male) actor should necessarily be discriminated because of his age (i.e. his date of birth) but rather his appearance and popularity amongst the target demographic.

Blackman
06-27-2009, 11:54 PM
Richard T Jones would be good if they're casting older

Man of Tomorrow
06-28-2009, 11:48 AM
In all sincerity, if you just look at the date of birth, certainly you will conclude that a person is too old.

AZHBx_uV7hQ

This was an interview of Underwood at the Golden Globes earlier this year. Honestly the guy doesn't look a day over 35 if you ask me and, in truth, the guy they did choose for GL in JL:M was 35. If you shaved Underwoods head he would look 15 years younger than that. You want to know something else? Avery Brooks was 45 when he took the role of Captain Cisco in ST:DS9 (head shaven) and he was in that role for 7 years. I don't believe that anyone was complaining about him looking too old. I don't think a (male) actor should necessarily be discriminated because of his age (i.e. his date of birth) but rather his appearance and popularity amongst the target demographic.

Who cares?

I'm telling you why such an actor wasn't even considered for JL:M. Common at 35 is fine. An actor born in the early 60s, no.

And what does Sisko have to do with this? 45 was the right age for the Sisko character. He had a teenage son for goodness sake. It's a different thing than casting a superhero like GL.

Webhead2006
06-28-2009, 01:35 PM
well another factor would be is if they wanted john character to be a young guy, or an older guy. In the comics when john was choosen to be a latern was he a young guy or a little older?