PDA

View Full Version : sPartan vs Ninja? sPike's DEADLIEST WARRIOR finds out...

Ratcrawler
03-26-2009, 12:55 PM
http://www.spike.com/video/dealiest-warrior/3114105

Between this, Battles BC and Dark Days in Monkey City, what I call "The 300ization of Edutainment" continues...

Ratcrawler
04-07-2009, 11:21 PM
sPoilers...

Apache beat Gladiator!

Gotta say, I'm pretty stoked about that although not too surprised. They were pretty much the baddest tribe on the continent.

I also like the way they determine the winner, which is basically won by percentage. They feed data into a computer to run a thousand battles and the Apache won 600 something scenarios.

Next week it's...
Viking
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/delfeario/Thor.jpg

VS

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c211/AnimeZodiac/Superheroes/Shredder.jpg
Samurai

Mister J
05-08-2009, 09:11 PM
I love this show. I don't always agree with the practicality of the results, but the setup and substantive information is pretty good. Getting a look at the different weaponry, tactics and brief histories of the different warrior classes is of interest.

Plus, some of those weapons can really **** you up. :ninja:

Yakuza v. Mafia wasn't all that great, but Green Beret v. Spetnaz looks promising.

X-Ray
05-08-2009, 09:31 PM
The Yakuza v. Mafia match up was ********. They didn't take the Yakuza's martial art training into account. That alone would have beaten the Mafia's baseball bat & ice pick. And why the **** are they considered warriors !?

Pink Ranger
05-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Testing weapons on the ballistic gel dummies was awesome. You can really imagine the splatter that a simple blade can accomplish.

I was actually surprised that the Spartan's spear actually smashed the guy's rib on the way through. Whoa!

Mister J
05-08-2009, 09:51 PM
The Yakuza v. Mafia match up was ********. They didn't take the Yakuza's martial art training into account. That alone would have beaten the Mafia's baseball bat & ice pick. And why the **** are they considered warriors !?
That was one of the matchups I didn't particularly agree with. I think the Yakuza were too skilled and disciplined in comparison to the Goodfellas.

I guess they're willing to cite any distinct 'organization' with an established legacy as a warrior class, but it was surely a stretch. They probably thought it'd be an interest episode. Maybe we'll get Bloods v. Crips next season. :woot:

Upset Spideyfan
05-09-2009, 01:07 AM
The show's entertaining but its sort of silly despite its scientific premise.

Gladiator vs Apache? Sure, in the woods, I'd give it to the Apache but by that token wouldn't the Gladiator reign supreme within an enclosed area? Not to mention the scenario they presented was fine up until the Gladiator hit him in the face with cestus... TWICE... and the Apache not only lived but recovered in a few seconds.

And what's the logic behind Ninja vs Spartan? By that thinking you might as well have Green Beret vs Pillbox.

Ratcrawler
05-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Well, technically sPeaking, gangs have wars over territory, resources and reputation just like everybody else did. They're actually more qualified to be on this show than Gladiators or Ninjas.

It should also be pointed out that THE DRAMATIZATIONS IN THE END AREN'T REPRESENTATIVE OF HOW THESE FIGHTS PLAY OUT IN THE SIMULATOR. They're just fun, susPenseful showcases of the weaponry used in the thousand battles. So you could susPend your disbelief at an Apache surviving two Cestus slams from a Gladiator.

And regarding that Match-up, yes, a Gladiator might have the advantage over an Apache in an Arena. An Apache, on the other hand, would be at home in the forest, prarie, desert, canyon, mountain, swamp and pretty much any other natural setting. So there's not much sense in saying the Gladiator was cheated. He was lucky this Apache didn't have a 6 shooter!

Ratcrawler
05-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Also, here's the Aftermath sPecial for Yakuza VS Mafia
http://www.spike.com/video/aftermath-yakuza-vs/3167087

Mister J
05-10-2009, 07:36 PM
It should also be pointed out that THE DRAMATIZATIONS IN THE END AREN'T REPRESENTATIVE OF HOW THESE FIGHTS PLAY OUT IN THE SIMULATOR. They're just fun, susPenseful showcases of the weaponry used in the thousand battles.
This is key to remember. They just look at the final results and come up with a scenario that might be visually entertaining It's not meant to be a exact representation. There might have been a result where the Apache kicked the Gladiator in his package, chopped his leg off and then slit his throat, all in under 30 seconds, but it would have been rather boring to watch.

Yurka
05-10-2009, 07:36 PM
This is a sweet show but I don't agree with half of the outcomes. I think next week is Green Beret vs. Spetsnaz, I'll go with Spetsnaz.

El_Citrus
05-10-2009, 08:07 PM
I really like this show, but I think that they could have done some better matchups. Pirate vs Ninja! It's sitting right there! Then have Knight vs Spartan, or rework it with Viking vs Spartan and Knight vs Samauri. It looks like they dumped their whole budget into the science equipment since the fight scenes are worse than tv budget. I hope they allow for different matchups in the future.

Ratcrawler
05-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Yup. And after that, it'll be Shaolin Monks VS Maori and (possible season finale) Braveheart VS Shaka Zulu.

I think they should do a Mash-Up sPecial. Preferably ones where the previous losers win, even if that WOULD seem forced. Same weapons, so we wouldn't have to retest everything. A quick overview of the arsenals, dramatization, explanation for the turnout as shown on program, commercial, repeat.

Ninja VS Pirate
Because this is the one EVERYBODY on the internets wanted to see.

Knight VS Samurai

Viking VS sPartan

sPetznaz & Green Beret VS Yakuza & Mafia Or just mash that up as necessary.

Bad Superman
05-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Awesome show. I loved how in the Pirate VS Knight

The Pirate's win was funny.

Would love to see:

-Ninja VS. Samurai
-Knight VS. Spartan
-Gladiator VS. Viking

AxlsAppetite
05-18-2009, 12:04 AM
I didn't like how that one Green Beret acted like a sore loser. Accept defeat and move one.

The Saiga Shotgun and Ballistic Knife were killer. Didn't like that giant shovel thing. The green beret had that dead-on aim though(Sniper), that was awesome.

Pink Ranger
05-19-2009, 09:10 PM
I didn't like how that one Green Beret acted like a sore loser. Accept defeat and move one.

The Saiga Shotgun and Ballistic Knife were killer. Didn't like that giant shovel thing. The green beret had that dead-on aim though(Sniper), that was awesome.

Doesn't matter though. British SAS would mop the floor with both of them.

Mister J
05-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Shaolin Monk is going to whip ass tonight!

Ratcrawler
05-20-2009, 09:18 PM
He sure did! By 69% which I believe was the biggest margin yet. I guess the clincher was that the Shoalin had 3 mid-range weapons and the Maori had two, one of which, the Stingray sPear, could have easily been been destroyed by any of them.

Pink Ranger
05-20-2009, 11:07 PM
I knew the Shaolin would win, but really, pit a meat eater against a vegetarian and what would really happen? We've seen it before (Allosaurus versus Brontosaurus) and we know how that turns out ...

Mister J
05-20-2009, 11:25 PM
It figured to have that much of a beating ...and I wouldn't have been surprised to see it larger. SM's speed, defense, range and hand-to-hand were just too much to overcome. The twin hooks were easily the most lethal weapon displayed; the whipchain wasn't bad either. Everything the Mauri Warrior was looking to do was close quarters-based and simply brute force. As General Zod said, "No style at all".

Next week: William Wallace v. Shaka Zulu.

X-Ray
05-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Wallace wins. He can shoot fireballs out of his eyes and lightning bolts out of his ass.

Silver Spider
05-21-2009, 10:10 PM
I've been watching this show since the Ninja vs. Spartan episode and I've got to say, it's a really entertaining show.
Personally I thought the biggest cheat was the Pirate vs. Knight. The pirate waould have been owned, without his "tech."

Mister J
05-21-2009, 10:21 PM
I really didn't like that one. The pirate is bringing firepower, but both, the damn Flintlock and Blunderbuss were prone to jamming. The latter would have been more effective, but only at close range. Plus, the knight has armor and a shield ...and a couple of big ass swords/blades to an unarmored pirate (good luck with establishing a close proximity Mr. Pirate). There was even a crossbow for Jack Kirby's sake! I think the gun value was overrated, compared to the knight's protective devices.

However, I will say that the way the pirate won in the representation was entirely badass. :o

Pink Ranger
05-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Next week: William Wallace v. Shaka Zulu.

Maybe next season it can be William Shatner v. Chaka Khan.

cyborg ninja 14
05-21-2009, 11:01 PM
God, the whole show is just a circle jerk.

"Well, my fighter would totally kick that other guy ass cause I'm so awesome!"

Silver Spider
05-22-2009, 03:05 PM
I really didn't like that one. The pirate is bringing firepower, but both, the damn Flintlock and Blunderbuss were prone to jamming. The latter would have been more effective, but only at close range. Plus, the knight has armor and a shield ...and a couple of big ass swords/blades to an unarmored pirate (good luck with establishing a close proximity Mr. Pirate). There was even a crossbow for Jack Kirby's sake! I think the gun value was overrated, compared to the knight's protective devices.

However, I will say that the way the pirate won in the representation was entirely badass. :o
Agreed, with everything.:woot:

Pink Ranger
05-22-2009, 07:24 PM
God, the whole show is just a circle jerk.

"Well, my fighter would totally kick that other guy ass cause I'm so awesome!"

That's part of the appeal of the show to me. All these childish martial arts jocks evangelizing for their favorite warrior, who in most cases have never met in real life.

Metamorpho1977
05-22-2009, 08:20 PM
The show's entertaining but its sort of silly despite its scientific premise.

Gladiator vs Apache? Sure, in the woods, I'd give it to the Apache but by that token wouldn't the Gladiator reign supreme within an enclosed area? Not to mention the scenario they presented was fine up until the Gladiator hit him in the face with cestus... TWICE... and the Apache not only lived but recovered in a few seconds.

And what's the logic behind Ninja vs Spartan? By that thinking you might as well have Green Beret vs Pillbox.

Yeah, I think the Apache would fall in an arena type environment. They could never beat the Cartwrights or Matt Dillon standing beside a poison water lake.

Ratcrawler
05-22-2009, 10:21 PM

I guess history's finest suit of armor was no match against it's crappiest guns. Still, even if not deadly, the guns and grenade would knock the night on his ass, making him all the easier to kill.

Mister J
05-23-2009, 01:03 AM
I thought there was some test where they fired one of those handguns at medium range and it didn't pierce the armor. If the grenado struck within range, it'd definitely put him on his ass. I'm not so sure about a hit with the gun though. I don't recall the calibur/kick on either.

Silver Spider
05-23-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm so excited. There's like a marathon on today, so I'm going to get to see ones I've missed.

Ratcrawler
05-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I'm making a videotape (I know I'm SO oldschool!) right now with pretty much every infotainment program about sParta that come on recently and I'm about to add the re-aired sPartan vs Ninja episode. Also on my tape...
Warriors w- Terry Schappert
Rise & Fall of the sPartans parts 1 & 2
Last Stand of the 300

Hey, anybody catch the add for XMO: Wolverine where they basically compared DW's sPartans against Sabretooth? It was kinda funny.

Silver Spider
05-26-2009, 08:45 PM
^I still videotape shows; it's what I grew up with.:woot:

So...William Wallace vs. Shaka Zulu tonight, huh. It seems weird that they're putting two specific fighters up against one another.

Ratcrawler
05-26-2009, 11:31 PM
I would rather have had just a Zulu vs some random warrior like an Aztec or a Hun.

But yeah, considering that neither really had any good long range weapons, it wasn't surprising Wallace's Claymore won the day.

Jager X
05-27-2009, 08:08 AM
i figured they were gonna have wallace win but personally i find this show at times to be a crock of ****. they should just name this show deadliest weapons because that is what determines the winner on this show. i think that skill accounts for alot of victories. not every weapon have to deliver a deathlow with one hit to be an effective weapon. it kept pissing me off when the people were basically writing zulu off because some of his weapons, "this is deadliest warrior not distraction warrior". the deadliest warrior is one that is completely unpredictable. zulu's poison was as much of a credible weapon as any. don't care if u arm yourself with a claymore, if u are blind then you are dead. but the computer said wallace was the winner, so.

kane9321
05-27-2009, 11:01 AM
wallace's big azz sword was no match for a shield made outta ox ass. This was a no brainer

next up...IRA vs Taliban...IRA ftw

X-Ray
05-27-2009, 11:22 AM
wallace's big azz sword was no match for a shield made outta ox ass. This was a no brainer

next up...IRA vs Taliban...IRA ftw

I wonder who they'll bring in to represent those guys. I'm thinking a former CIA guy. But it would be weird see him get all sore and bent out because the taliban is getting their asses kicked in the experiment.

Silver Spider
05-27-2009, 02:41 PM
i figured they were gonna have wallace win but personally i find this show at times to be a crock of ****. they should just name this show deadliest weapons because that is what determines the winner on this show. i think that skill accounts for alot of victories. not every weapon have to deliver a deathlow with one hit to be an effective weapon. it kept pissing me off when the people were basically writing zulu off because some of his weapons, "this is deadliest warrior not distraction warrior". the deadliest warrior is one that is completely unpredictable. zulu's poison was as much of a credible weapon as any. don't care if u arm yourself with a claymore, if u are blind then you are dead. but the computer said wallace was the winner, so.
Not last week. :oldrazz:

I thought Zulu was gonna win to be honest, with his speed. I was surprised to see William Wallace win, and by such a large margin.

Also, who else thinks that the end fight was one of this show's best?

Pink Ranger
05-27-2009, 05:29 PM
i figured they were gonna have wallace win but personally i find this show at times to be a crock of ****. they should just name this show deadliest weapons because that is what determines the winner on this show. i think that skill accounts for alot of victories. not every weapon have to deliver a deathlow with one hit to be an effective weapon.

I'm not sure about that. In the Shaolon v. Maori match, the Maori won every single weapons category except for one. And he was bigger. And yet the Shaolin waxed him, so the game engine must take speed, talent and training into it somehow. Same thing with the Spetnatz v. Green Beret; at the outset everybody knows the Americans have the best weapons, but it was the training and tactics that make the difference.

Silver Spider
05-28-2009, 03:03 PM
^Just what I was saying.
Although, the Shaolin's twin hooks were beastly, giving them 566 kills.

Ziggyman
05-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Next one is just whack...!

All have been pretty good so far!

Ratcrawler
05-29-2009, 06:37 PM
figured they were gonna have wallace win but personally i find this show at times to be a crock of ****. they should just name this show deadliest weapons because that is what determines the winner on this show. i think that skill accounts for alot of victories. not every weapon have to deliver a deathlow with one hit to be an effective weapon. it kept pissing me off when the people were basically writing zulu off because some of his weapons, "this is deadliest warrior not distraction warrior". the deadliest warrior is one that is completely unpredictable. zulu's poison was as much of a credible weapon as any. don't care if u arm yourself with a claymore, if u are blind then you are dead. but the computer said wallace was the winner, so.

Yeah, but humans have physical limits. So you've got to figure that, styles aside, the most physically capable sPartan would be in the same league as the most physically capable sPetznaz. But one long range armor piercing round is all it would take to to win 999 out of the thousand battles.

Also, the great thing about the claymore is it's range. In the experienced hands of someone like Wallace, he wouldn't need to see Shaka coming, only hear from a vague direction. One swing gets everything within 7 feet. So, unless Shaka had another one of those very phallic knobkerries on him, a blinded Wallace is still a dangerous man up close.

Also, who else thinks that the end fight was one of this show's best?
Word. It's almost a shame this wasn't the finale. That fight was quick, brutal and satisfying like a good punk rock song.

I'm not sure about that. In the Shaolon v. Maori match, the Maori won every single weapons category except for one. And he was bigger. And yet the Shaolin waxed him, so the game engine must take speed, talent and training into it somehow.

Yeah but bear in mind, the twin hooks are basically 5 weapons in one. (Or two) Also take into account that the monk had 3 effective midrange weapons against the Maori's 2 and the latter would be dead before he got close enough the use the club or shark toothed ax.

It's kind of like Apache vs. Gladiator; Everything in the Apache's arsenal could be used from a distance, even his short range knives and tomahawks. All the Gladiator had was that pathetic sling which a) he probably wouln't have been allowed to use anyway because that would endanger the on-lookers over the arena and 2) had to be shot out of an air-cannon for testing because nobody could aim it well enough to be accurate.

Come to think of it, I would love to see Roman Gladiator vs Shaolin Monk. That would rock pretty hard for a close range battle.

Mister J
05-31-2009, 08:59 PM
Special night ep starting up right now: IRA v Taliban. I just stumbled across the promo.

kane9321
06-01-2009, 09:42 AM
DAMN..the last IRA guy took out 3 taliban all by himself..the last kill was teh awesome...

Hush
06-01-2009, 09:57 AM
What time does this show air? Anyone?

Mrh7448
06-01-2009, 10:39 AM
My issue with this show is that some of the testing seems a bit one sided at times. Like with the Spetsnaz vs the Green Berets. They tested two grenades one from each group, but the Spetsnaz had to stick theirs in a washing machine, which blew it apart, but the green berets got to toss theirs in right beside two dummies? Which do think is going to look more devestating? So of course the judges gave the advantage to the Green Berets. That was one of the stupidest test I've seen on this show.

I still like, it's interesting to see the weapons tests but they really should test more accurately IMO.

Ratcrawler
06-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Anybody got some match-up or contender ideas for Season 2?

I wanna see an Aztec Cuachicqueh face off with a Roman Centurion

Aztec
-Obsidian sPear
-Atlatl darts
-Huitzauhqui (Club with obsidian blades)
-Macuahuitl (Wooden sword with--you guessed it--obsidian blades)
-Cotton armor & Wooden shield

Roman
-Pilum sPears
-Parazonium long sword
-Pugio dagger
-Knob ended staff
-Iron armor & wooden shield

Ziggyman
06-03-2009, 08:56 PM
I think The Monk vs. Maori(sp?) fight was so one-sided that they took out one of the weapons...In the beginning you could clearly see they were testing out a Monk weapon which was like 2 frisbee like metal things that they threw and they never showed it!

Ratcrawler
06-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Yeah, they do that all the time. I remember they did it in Ninja VS sPartan with a couple of ninja weapons and the sPartan kopis (the sword used in 300) which frankly would have been a better choice. The xiphos (short sword) was meant to be used in phalanx formation because it's smaller size and greater weight made it easier to wield in a tight crowd and break through enemy shields. But one on one, a sPartan would have been much better off with the longer blade.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l7/Vigi-Kami/SPARTAN_SWORD.jpg

Mister J
06-04-2009, 09:38 PM
The IRA/Taliban match was the closest one I've seen; something like 52%/48%. That RPG was the destroyer of worlds. The range on that thing was listed at 900+ yards in the specs (though they only tested from 100). You've got to be ****ing kidding. :wow:

JackIvyGB
06-06-2009, 05:19 AM
I watched the marathon and I gotta say, this is a sweet show. I missed the ending of a couple because my sister kept changing it and asking me to go to walmart and get stuff for her to cook with, but what I did see was awesome.

The one thing I disagreed with was Wallace vs. Shaka Zulu. The big mistake in calculating the outcome of that fight was they regarded the poison spit as a weapon and as such, it was put in the computer as a weapon. On it's own, it does nothing but blind you, obviously, but that's the thing: it is the pre-cursor to the attack. It gives Shaka the upper hand so he can attack you. He's not just gonna spit in your eyes and declare victory! He was faster, wasn't carrying as many heavy weapons, and could get through the armor. And I know that the video is just a fun thing to watch, but there is no way that with how smart Zulu was in battle, that he would have tried to spit at wallace from as far away as they had him. Zulu should have won.

And yes, I also demand a pirates vs ninjas episode. And do it like the green beret/spetsnaz and mafia/yakuza fights. I want a squadron of ninjas vs a fleet of pirates!

Ratcrawler
06-07-2009, 12:02 AM
go to warrior.sPike.com and find The Aftermath for Wallace VS Zulu. They explain that the poison sPit DID in fact contribute to many of Shaka's victories. They didn't mention it on the show because they don't tend to get into a lot of detail with the results but yeah, it helped. The fight itself was based mainly on close range weapons. Shaka's were all well and good, but Will had 4ft blade which, when swung, had the most effective range of any weapon.

Bad Superman
02-05-2010, 11:35 AM
I wonder when Season 2 is scheduled to air.

Mister J
02-05-2010, 11:45 AM
It looks like Max Geiger’s afro was too good to let go as Spike TV announced today that Geoff, Max, and the Good Doctor are back at it for another season of Deadliest Warrior. Hit the jump for all the details.

After setting record numbers both on-air and online, it was a “no-brainer” to pick them back up for another season, said Spike TV’s Senior Vice President of Original Programming Sharon Levy. And with some of the bloodiest battles taking place in fan forums online, Spike.com will also be renewing its original web series Deadliest Warrior – The Aftermath.

The series is set to return in the Spring of 2010 with all new matchups between history’s most fearsome war mongers. So warm up your one-liners and stretch out your typing fingers, because in just a few short months history gets bloody.

For more on Deadliest Warrior and all Spike TV news, visit www.spike.com/press.

http://www.spike.com/blog/back-from-dead/84017

No specifics, other than what should be sometime in the next couple of months, but at least it's coming back. I'd guess no later than April.

Bad Superman
02-05-2010, 11:57 AM
http://www.spike.com/blog/back-from-dead/84017

No specifics, other than what should be sometime in the next couple of months, but at least it's coming back. I'd guess no later than April.

That's great news. Is the first season available on DVD?

Mister J
02-05-2010, 12:02 PM
I've only seen Video on Demand from Amazon. No disc sets. Can't imagine why. Everything gets a video release these days.

Bad Superman
02-05-2010, 12:03 PM
I've only seen Video on Demand from Amazon. No disc sets. Can't imagine why. Everything gets a video release these days.

I would love to have the first season in my DVD collection. I read somewhere there were plans for a new gen videogame.

Mister J
02-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Downloadable content for unspecified platforms. Looks kinda wonky.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/12/13/deadliest-warrior-video-game-announced-during-vgas/

Bad Superman
02-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Downloadable content for unspecified platforms. Looks kinda wonky.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/12/13/deadliest-warrior-video-game-announced-during-vgas/

Thanks. I hadn't read that before. :up:

Ratcrawler
02-27-2010, 12:36 PM
It looks like Season 2 might premiere with another historical figure smackdown a la Shaka VS Braveheart. This time, though, it will be none other than...

http://www.spike.com/blog/92686

Attila The Hun VS Alexander The Great!

Place your bets, anyone?

Scourge2099
02-27-2010, 01:26 PM
It looks like Season 2 might premiere with another historical figure smackdown a la Shaka VS Braveheart. This time, though, it will be none other than...

http://www.spike.com/blog/92686

Attila The Hun VS Alexander The Great!

Place your bets, anyone?
I'm going for Alexander the Great ftw.

Pink Ranger
02-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Colin Farrell vs. Gerard Butler? In drinking, I'd go with Alexander, in a pub brawl I'd go with Attila.

Ratcrawler
02-27-2010, 03:57 PM
My money's on Attila. According to the photos, He's got a sword, a shield and a battle axe. Probably his legendary "Sword of Mars". His other two weapons will likely be the recurve bow and lasso. He's about as well armored as Alex, albeit in a different way (though it seems his helmet is missing) that allows greater mobility.

Alex has a Kopis sword (which I've often lamented the sPartan not using) and a shield. I'm not too familiar with sPecial Macedonian weapons except for the 17ft Sarissa Pike or the 13ft Xyston sPear. I can see Alex using the latter against a single opponent. Beyond that, I would imagine he used the standard bows and arrows, javelins and slings his army would have used for distance weapons although I dunno if we'll see them used as this show appears to hate using the same weapons over and we've seen those used.

Beyond that, Alex doesn't seem as well defended as the sPartan was. He has no gauntlets, his thighs are more exposed without the large hoplon shield in front and that helmet's a death trap. He looks blind in half those pictures. It's either light and weak or thick and heavy. Really, Alex, either put a bronzed lion head on it or a crest but not both!

The Riddler
03-01-2010, 05:36 PM
can't wait for the new season.

one thing i don't understand ratcrawler, is what is up with the capitalization in the thread title? haha.

El_Citrus
03-01-2010, 05:54 PM
I wonder if we'll see new matchups this time, like Knight vs Samurai. Even though the production quality of the show is sometimes laughable, I still enjoy seeing all of the weapon demonstrations.

Bad Superman
03-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Alexander FTW. I believe he's a bit more strategic. As for the weapons, we'll see how that turns out.

Ratcrawler
03-15-2010, 12:22 PM
http://www.spike.com/blog/another-warriors-den/93257

Match 2: Nazi SS VS Viet Cong

Pink Ranger
03-15-2010, 12:41 PM

OMG, they're really going to go there? Yeesh *shivers slightly*

Besides, I always thought the SS were more like investigators rather than fighters, but I welcome correction from someone who's more familiar with WW2 history than me.

Ratcrawler
03-15-2010, 09:51 PM
If it weren't for the technology gap, Nazis VS Taliban would've been awesome.

bored
03-16-2010, 01:34 AM

Besides, I always thought the SS were more like investigators rather than fighters, but I welcome correction from someone who's more familiar with WW2 history than me.

Keep in mind this show had the IRA and Taliban fighting last season. It's not like there's a statement being made. I think with the SS thing, they're applying that to more than just intelligence agents, but Nazis as a whole. Either way, it'll be fun to watch.

Mister J
03-16-2010, 01:37 AM
When they went Mafia v. Yakuza, someone quipped that they should go with Black Panther vs. KKK. It may not be so far-fetched after all. :funny:

bored
03-16-2010, 01:46 AM
When they went Mafia v. Yakuza, someone quipped that they should go with Black Panther vs. KKK. It may not be so far-fetched after all. :funny:

Meh, there's a difference between rabble-rousers who occasionally get violent and organizations that regularly get into armed conflict.

Mister J
03-16-2010, 01:53 AM
Does that mean no Hatfield v. McCoy? :(

Mrh7448
03-16-2010, 09:08 AM

They did do intelligence but the SS did pretty much everything else as well. Special forces, policing, guarding Hitler etc.

Scourge2099
03-16-2010, 03:46 PM
I want to see the Tamil Tigers vs Hezbollah myself. Hindu terrorists vs Muslim terrorists.

Pink Ranger
03-16-2010, 04:46 PM
I want to see the Tamil Tigers vs Hezbollah myself. Hindu terrorists vs Muslim terrorists.

Tamil Tigers versus Pakistani Al Qeada. Not in a fight, but in a cricket match. :)

sweetrenu13
03-17-2010, 03:18 PM
in a match, there is no doubt about it that a Spartan will win against a ninja! :)

ChickenScratch
03-17-2010, 05:20 PM
in a match, there is no doubt about it that a Spartan will win against a ninja! :)

That's true, but ninjas never fought pitched battles. It's a scenario that would never happen ... but I guess that's the point of the show.

Ratcrawler
03-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Official Season 2 matches...

SWAT vs. GSG-9

Attila the Hun vs. Alexander the Great

Aztec Jaguar vs. Zande Warrior

Jesse James Gang vs. Al Capone Gang

Persian Immortal vs. Celt

Roman Centurion vs. India's Rajput Warrior

Somali Pirate vs. Medellin Cartel

Nazi SS vs. Viet Cong

KGB vs. CIA

Vlad the Impaler vs. Sun Tzu

Ming Warrior vs. Musketeer

Comanche vs. Mongol

Navy Seal vs. Israeli Commando

Mister J
03-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Jesse & Frank James' revolvers against Al Capone's Crew and their Tommy guns? Really?
I'm liable to pass out on either of these nights. :awesome:

The Riddler
03-23-2010, 07:21 PM

SWAT vs. GSG-9

Nazi SS vs. Viet Cong

KGB vs. CIA

Comanche vs. Mongol

holy mother of goodness...i want to watch every one of these matchups so badly!

when does the new season start?

El_Citrus
03-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Those matchups sound awesome. I'm still hoping they revisit the other warriors sometime and make some new matchups.

Ratcrawler
03-23-2010, 11:07 PM
April 20th

Other Warriors I was hoping to see this season (but I guess I'll have to wait) were Dahomey Amazons, Conquistadors, Landsknecht, Sikhs, Winged Hussars, King Kamehameha & Joan of Arc.

kane9321
03-24-2010, 11:41 AM

holy crap..they gonna take it there?..ok!

Pink Ranger
03-24-2010, 12:50 PM
holy crap..they gonna take it there?..ok!

Yeah, I'm not sure what they're going to use as their "historical re-enactment" footage for the SS. The Taliban and Viet Cong shooting at American soldiers is one thing, but who are the SS going to "fight"? Are they going to show an SS officer turning his gun on a terrified, screaming Jewish mother? Yikes ...

Ahura Mazda
03-24-2010, 01:23 PM

I don't quite get the above battle. Sun Tzu was at best a general not an individual warrior where is Vlad was a knight of the Draconian order not to mention that a couple thousand years seperated the two.

Bad Superman
03-24-2010, 01:31 PM

SWAT vs. GSG-9

Nazi SS vs. Viet Cong

KGB vs. CIA

Comanche vs. Mongol

Awesome match ups. Thanks for the info.

Pink Ranger
03-24-2010, 05:45 PM

Ouch. After the Green Berets vs. Spetznatz from last year, yet another loss for the American military. They're running out of elite U.S. units to pit against the world's best, pretty soon we're going to see the British SAS vs. the South Carolina National Guard.

Ratcrawler
03-25-2010, 10:03 AM
I wanted to see the Mossad go up against Ghurkas, myself :/

Pink Ranger
03-25-2010, 10:28 PM
I wanted to see the Mossad go up against Ghurkas, myself :/

That's hardly a fair fight. Israeli secret agents versus those tiny pickles. :)

AnorexicBatman
03-25-2010, 10:53 PM
When are they going to do Batman Vs. Chuck Norris? :awesome:

Ratcrawler
03-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Never. Batman's not "Deadliest" anything.

Now The Joker on the other hand...

Hmm.

Joker VS Conan The Cimmerian would be an interesting match-up if they ever used fictional characters.

ChickenScratch
03-26-2010, 12:16 PM
When are they going to do Batman Vs. Chuck Norris? :awesome:

Remember when Wizard Magazine used to have that character versus character battle thing and they would list attributes and decide who wins? Any battle with Batman always ended with Batman winning because he finds weaknesses and uses his head. He won't kill though.

Bad Superman
03-26-2010, 12:26 PM
The Techno Viking is unbeatable.

:hehe:

Scourge2099
03-27-2010, 08:24 PM
Comanche vs Mongol is a match I always wanted to see since they're both gods on horses.

Ratcrawler
04-09-2010, 11:05 AM
True but it seems pretty one sided since the Mongols had actual armor and had access to more international resources. Honestly, Huns might have been a better match up.

Ratcrawler
04-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Oh, here's a new minute & a half long commercial. Just 2 weeks left! :)

http://www.spike.com/video/new-science-new/3368807

PemLam
04-21-2010, 08:13 AM
I liked how they took all the winners from season 1 and came out with an ultimate winner for both the hisotrical and modern warriors. Agreed with both selections and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the season.

Had to DVR the GSG-9 vs SWAT episode because my wife insisted on watching that friggin V crap.

El_Citrus
04-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Glad this show is back, though I wasn't very interested in SWAT vs the German version. Nice to see SWAT win though.

I liked the Ultimate Warrior bit before the season premiere. Spartan vs Samurai was the way to go, along with Spetsnaz vs IRA.

The weird thing is that the Deadliest Warrior BOOK lists the Knight as the Deadliest Warrior. (I think the Knight should have easily won against the Pirate. That episode I heavily disagreed with.) I can't argue with the Spartan being the Ultimate Warrior though.

Bad Superman
04-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Glad this show is back, though I wasn't very interested in SWAT vs the German version. Nice to see SWAT win though.

I liked the Ultimate Warrior bit before the season premiere. Spartan vs Samurai was the way to go, along with Spetsnaz vs IRA.

The weird thing is that the Deadliest Warrior BOOK lists the Knight as the Deadliest Warrior. (I think the Knight should have easily won against the Pirate. That episode I heavily disagreed with.) I can't argue with the Spartan being the Ultimate Warrior though.

Deadliest Warrior has a book? :huh:

El_Citrus
04-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Deadliest Warrior has a book? :huh:

Shockingly enough, yes. It lists the Knight as the Deadliest Warrior, which makes sense considering his armor and weapons. The Pirate should have lost because of the unreliability and scattershot of the blunderbuss and the fact that the grenado didn't penetrate armor.

Sometimes, I really wish they would test more thoroughly like the Mythbusters. I would have had the Pirate run a course and try to get the Blunderbuss to fire while moving around against multiple dummy targets and see how reliable it is from various ranges until it becomes too innacurate to be used.

Scourge2099
04-21-2010, 05:09 PM
True but it seems pretty one sided since the Mongols had actual armor and had access to more international resources. Honestly, Huns might have been a better match up.
I think the Huns got chased out by the Mongols.

My predictions of who would win between the Spartan and Samurai and between Spetsnaz and the IRA were wrong.:csad:

SWAT vs GSG-9 kicked ass though. I knew SWAT was gonna win because they're alot better than their German counterpart. The SWAT team is so good that most of them haven't had to fire their weapons because the criminals know they're f*****.

The Riddler
04-22-2010, 12:56 AM
i wanted samurai to win but i knew spartan would. that shield is a hack.

Bad Superman
04-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Shockingly enough, yes. It lists the Knight as the Deadliest Warrior, which makes sense considering his armor and weapons. The Pirate should have lost because of the unreliability and scattershot of the blunderbuss and the fact that the grenado didn't penetrate armor.

Sometimes, I really wish they would test more thoroughly like the Mythbusters. I would have had the Pirate run a course and try to get the Blunderbuss to fire while moving around against multiple dummy targets and see how reliable it is from various ranges until it becomes too innacurate to be used.

Thanks for the info.

I wonder what kind of program they use to run the battle simulations. They always show the guy working on a spreadsheet very similar to Excel. . . . :oldrazz:

El_Citrus
04-22-2010, 11:35 AM
They never mention what the program exactly is, except that it's developed by Slytherin Studios.

Nivek
04-22-2010, 12:53 PM
i wanted samurai to win but i knew spartan would. that shield is a hack.

I really hope in the Captain America movie that they really use a Shield to full defensive/ offensive capabilities. This show illustrates again & again how that round style shield is a pretty awesome thing in the right Warriors hands.

Mr.Webs
05-05-2010, 11:02 PM
I have to say, the right man won the last match up. Jesse James and his men's skills were too good to be overlooked. But I have to say the comparing of the weapons was odd. Why compare the Tommy Gun with the Revolver when they could have used the Colt 1911?

And having untrained forty year olds test out the Brass Knuckles didn't make much sense to me.

El_Citrus
05-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Yeah, it was weird testing the Tommy Gun again this season, instead of Capone's standard handgun at the time. I did like the driveby tests though.

I, too found the brass knuckles test odd, but I guess they were going for historical accuracy with mobsters being relatively untrained and slightly older and the gunslinger being around the same age, thereabouts. I wasn't a fan of the pistol whip/brass knucks test in general. The right team did win though, as I think the James Gang was more skill while Capone was more strength in numbers with firepower.

Siby
05-06-2010, 07:33 AM
I discovered this show recently and have seen all of season 1 and the recent Jesse James episode. I like the show but I have a lot of issues with their testing practices and assumptions.

The first assumption that I take issue with is "One shot, one kill". I think it is too much of an over simplification of a battle. Especially with nadir fighting styles.

I also take issue with the "test team" discounting stealth, combat movement as being inferior to brute force. This brings me to another point which is to say that the "test team" and a lot of their guests are such irritating a-holes. I don't mind a little bit of smack talk from the two sides but often they go way overboard.

I think the Slytherin software is total crock. We know way too little about the parameters of the program to trust the results. The results seem too skewed at times to be legitimate.

Iron_Stark
05-06-2010, 10:09 AM
I didn't agree with the results, actually I haven't agreed with most of the results.

And yeah why did they get 60 year old men to test out the brass knuckles, they should've gotten someone younger.

Bad Superman
05-06-2010, 10:22 AM
That was one of James' strengths his quickness and accuracy when shooting. I believe that the seconds it may have taken Capone to aim Jesse would've shot him three times already.

Ratcrawler
05-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Seemed weird that the Capone gang had no handguns. Not that it would've helped 'em much anyway.

Bad Superman
05-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Seemed weird that the Capone gang had no handguns. Not that it would've helped 'em much anyway.

I thought that was weird too. The "basic" gangster weapons are the bat, the knife, a handgun and the Tommy.

El_Citrus
05-06-2010, 12:20 PM
I discovered this show recently and have seen all of season 1 and the recent Jesse James episode. I like the show but I have a lot of issues with their testing practices and assumptions.

The first assumption that I take issue with is "One shot, one kill". I think it is too much of an over simplification of a battle. Especially with nadir fighting styles.

I also take issue with the "test team" discounting stealth, combat movement as being inferior to brute force. This brings me to another point which is to say that the "test team" and a lot of their guests are such irritating a-holes. I don't mind a little bit of smack talk from the two sides but often they go way overboard.

I think the Slytherin software is total crock. We know way too little about the parameters of the program to trust the results. The results seem too skewed at times to be legitimate.

Oh I agree that the program and the tests completely overlook some of the weapons simply because they don't rip a guy in half.

My biggest issues were the fact that, during the Spartan/Ninja fight, they completely discounted the black eggs. Glass in that Spartan's eye immediately sets him up for the kill. It's not a killing weapon, but a Spartan is incapacitated immediately with glass to the eyeball. A simple Ninjato slice and boom, dead.

My other issue was the Pirate/Knight fight. Knight should have won easily, as the grenado didn't go through a Knight's armor, and the Blunderbuss, while effective, was also unreliable during combat. One shot that doesn't kill the knight and he shreds the Pirate.

Thundarr
09-15-2010, 07:31 AM
I've finally seen all of season one. I totally love this show, and can't wait until season two comes out on dvd.

I do disagree with some of the results from season one. The Knight vs The Pirate for one. The pirate had no armor to counteract any of the knights attacks. The crossbow, the morning star, the halberd, and the broadsword all should have killed the pirate. The pirate's grenade and pistols couldn't even penetrate the knight's armor. And the blunderbuss, while powerful if it hits, is notoriously inaccurate and unreliable. Even when they did fire, one out of every ten shots blew up in your face. Their computer program didn't take that into account.

I also agree with some of the posters on here that the show seems to discount the use of distraction tactics like the ninja's black eggs or the Zulu's poison spit. These are not kill weapons, but meant to set a person up for the kill. Essentially macing them so you can just walk up and slit their throat or crush their skull with little or no resistance. However, as my ancestry is Scottish, I'm glad William Wallace won against Shaka Zulu.

One thing that was neglected in the Apache vs Gladiator match was that the gladiators of ancient Rome never fought to kill, they fought to entertain. While deaths weren't uncommon in the gladiator arena, they weren't the goal of the gladiators either. It took many years of training, and a lot of money, for someone to become a gladiator. Thus fights would rarely be intentionally to the death. When a gladiator got his opponent down, he would look to the emperor for the thumbs up or thumbs down. Since the emperor understood what went into making a gladiator, especially one capable of providing the audience with an entertaining fight, he would usually give him the thumbs up to live. Thus none of a gladiator's attacks are going to be for a quick decisive kill. The Apache, on the other hand, only fights to kill. If an Apache gets you down, he won't wait for anyone's permission to kill you, he'll just kill you. So I totally agree with that result.

I'd be interested in seeing them revisit some of the previous warriors but giving them new opponents. Spartan vs Knight, Ninja vs Pirate, Viking vs Shoalin Monk, etc.

And Ratcrawler, what the hell is up with your capitalization of names? Not just in the thread title, but in damn near every one of your posts too! You keep writing "sPartan" instead of "Spartan", and other such mistakes. I mean I can understand an occassional typo, they happen to the best of us. But the same one? Over and over again? Do you actually think that that's the correct spelling? Should we start spelling your name "rAtcrawler"? Maybe I should change my handle to "tHundarr"? I don't mean to come off insulting, but seriously dude, what is up with that?

Wolfwood
09-15-2010, 01:58 PM
The Swat team battle was by far one of my favorites, loved the ending in the simulation.

Thundarr
10-12-2010, 05:42 AM
Bumped, just because I can.

Thundarr
10-12-2010, 06:11 AM
Someone on this thread had posted earlier that they'd like to see a Ninja vs Samurai episode. Personally, I doubt that will ever happen. The whole point of the show is to pit two opponents against each other that historically have never met before due to their time in history, geography, etc. Ninjitsu was specifically developed by Japanese peasants for the express purpose of defeating their samurai oppressors. Thus Samurai vs Ninja has historically already been done and doesn't need to be redone on the show.

Samurai vs Knight? Samurai vs Spartan? Samurai vs Pirate? Pirate vs Ninja? Spartan vs Knight? Ninja vs Shaolin Monk? These are all possibilities that could be addressed in future seasons.

Would anyone else like to see them do an episode pitting two fictional characters against each other? Maybe for a future Halloween episode, put Jason Voorhees against Michael Myers? Or put Batman up against The Punisher? Just for s#!ts & giggles for Halloween or something, like once a season. Could be fun to watch.

Metallo
10-12-2010, 10:16 AM
That would certainly be fun. Man I love this show. Anyone know when new episodes start back up?

Ratcrawler
11-19-2010, 08:45 PM
And Ratcrawler, what the hell is up with your capitalization of names? Not just in the thread title, but in damn near every one of your posts too! You keep writing "sPartan" instead of "Spartan", and other such mistakes. I mean I can understand an occassional typo, they happen to the best of us. But the same one? Over and over again? Do you actually think that that's the correct spelling? Should we start spelling your name "rAtcrawler"? Maybe I should change my handle to "tHundarr"? I don't mean to come off insulting, but seriously dude, what is up with that?

That's just for "sP" like "That sPider disPensed with a lisP." It's an old quirk. I don't use it for names like Spider-Man or Sparta or Jessie Spanno anymore though.

Anyway, Hannibal, Crazy Horse and at least one female warrior have been confirmed for season 3. And from production photos, some fans have found clues for Genghis Khan, Russian Cossacks and Scottish Highlanders.

Midnyte_Sun
12-26-2010, 11:11 PM
The Swat team battle was by far one of my favorites, loved the ending in the simulation.

Swat team was good, but it pales to the Spetsnaz vs Green Berets.

X-Ray
09-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Zombie vs. Vampire episode tomorrow night. :awesome:

Ultra Lantern
09-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Tomorrow night on the season finale,Deadliest Warrior finds out who's deadliest.

VAMPIRES
or
ZOMBIES

AxlsAppetite
09-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Vampires win. I was rooting for them but I honestly thought Zombies would win.

TheDreamMaster
09-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Did they run out of real warriors or something?
If this is the case, I'd go for Mandalorians vs Klingons or something.

Pink Ranger
09-15-2011, 07:49 AM
I think once they start having fictional warriors, this show has outlived its usefulness.

Siby
09-15-2011, 08:00 AM
I think once they start having fictional warriors, this show has outlived its usefulness.

Agreed! lol

I saw this show yesterday while channel surfing and it had George Washington versus Napoleon Bonaparte. I noticed they got a new guy to do the simulations. I got bored so I didn't finish watching it, not to mention the fact that the muscular guy really annoys me. The doctor is the only one that I find likable.

Metamorpho1977
09-15-2011, 10:28 AM
If they start using fictional characters I want to see James Bond vs. Nick Fury.

X-Ray
09-15-2011, 01:39 PM

Also thought zombies would take it. I was thinking maybe the virus they carry would win it for them. The scenario was pretty bad ass. 3 vamps vs. 190+ zombies. First vamp trims it down to 110 or so before biting it. :word:

GREEN =w= DAY
09-15-2011, 02:24 PM
i gotta say, the Vamps vs Zombies thing was really cool

and i had a feeling that the Vamps would take it because they are much stronger and faster

Ultra Lantern
09-15-2011, 05:05 PM
If they start using fictional characters I want to see James Bond vs. Nick Fury.

How about The Terminator vs. Inspector Gaget.

AxlsAppetite
09-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Chuck Norris vs. Everything

(outdated I know, but I had to do it)

Pink Ranger
09-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Chuck Norris vs. Everything

(outdated I know, but I had to do it)

Cordell Walker vs. Col. Scott McCoy. :up:

Siby
09-15-2011, 06:29 PM
I challenge anybody to go up against my Captain Wilton Parmenter (Scourge of the West). :)

NY1981
09-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Kirk vs Picard....nuff said

Ultra Lantern
09-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Data vs. Worf

Picard vs. Sisko

Kirk vs. Archer

Harry Mudd vs. A Borg

Iron_Stark
09-17-2011, 09:55 PM
In a fight like that, yeah vampires would win, in "reality", zombies would wipe them out. A zombie pandemic is global, vampires are few and far between, zombies would find where they're sleeping and kill them there.

What they got wrong in the episode was how fast zombies tear people apart, they shouldn't have gotten those 3 strong men as a gauge, they should've shown Romero's "Day of the Dead" and seen how fast they tore apart Rhoades and his men.

If the US military isn't able to stop a zombie uprising, no way do some sparkly vampires beat them.

Pink Ranger
09-17-2011, 09:59 PM
In a fight like that, yeah vampires would win, in "reality", zombies would wipe them out. A zombie pandemic is global, vampires are few and far between, zombies would find where they're sleeping and kill them there.

What they got wrong in the episode was how fast zombies tear people apart, they shouldn't have gotten those 3 strong men as a gauge, they should've shown Romero's "Day of the Dead" and seen how fast they tore apart Rhoades and his men.

If the US military isn't able to stop a zombie uprising, no way do some sparkly vampires beat them.

That's the problem with using fictional warriors. You can basically just engineer powers and abilities based on any argument, which is why I hope this is a once in a season thing for this show.

Ultra Lantern
09-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Darth Vader's Stormtroopers vs. The Romulans

Scourge2099
09-17-2011, 11:25 PM
I watched all of season 3 on Youtube today. My favorite fight was Hannibal vs Genghis Khan.

Thundarr
09-27-2011, 09:53 PM
I like the new software they're using for the simulations. The fact that they factor in various "X Factors" into the equasion makes for some more believable outcomes. I also like that they run the simulations 5000 times instead of only 1000. Because of this, I think some of the warriors from Season 1 deserve a rematch.

Spartan vs Ninja: I'm not saying that the ninja definitely should have won that match, but the Spartan definitely shouldn't have just shrugged off the effects of the powdered glass from the black egg. If he blocked it with his shield, fine. I can see the end happening the way it did in the original episode. But if it hit him right between the eyes, like it does in the original episode, then the Spartan should have died. Black eggs might not be "one shot, one kill" but their effectiveness in combat is an X Factor that can't be ignored.

Knight vs Pirate: They never tested the pirates cutlass' effectiveness against the knight's armor in the first episode. And the blunderbuss' tendancy to misfire is an X Factor that should have been considered.

Mafia vs Yakuza: The Yakuza's extensive martial arts training should have been a major X Factor in their favor. These were 1930's mafiosos. They'd never even seen a karate movie, let alone know what karate (or jujitsu, or ninjitsu, or aikido, etc) even is. The closest thing to an even fight would be an Italian boxer (fighting in the old flat footed style, before shuckin' and jivin' became the norm) going against a black belt in one of Japan's deadliest martial art forms. Personally, I don't think the Italian would fare very well.

Thundarr
09-27-2011, 10:31 PM

Oooooo . . . Good one. Here are some fictional matchups I'd like to see.

Forgotten Realms' Drizzt Do'Urden vs Lord Of The Rings' Legolas

Michael Myers from John Carpenter's Halloween vs Jason Voorhees from Friday The 13th

Batman vs The Punisher

Superman vs Thor

Thundarr
10-28-2012, 12:54 AM
I just watched the "Match Of The Champions" episode from Season 1 on Netflix.

It's too bad that they cancelled this show. There are more match ups I'd like to see from Season 1's winners.

Apache vs Shaolin Monk would be an interesting match up.

Maybe William Wallace from Season 1 vs Vlad The Impaler from Season 2.

And there are lots of other matches I'd love to see as well. What do you guys think?