PDA

View Full Version : Da Mask: Yea or Nay

terry78
07-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Yes, it is part of the original costume due to the identity thing, and later on he just kept it as part of the costume, but should he wear it in the flick, or not have it at all? Also, should his eyes have pupils or should they go all white when it's on, or maybe turn white or greenish when he uses the power ring as a side effect of the power, etc.? I know in the books the white eyes may be artistic license like Batman's, but I always wondered if they literally did become white when he donned the mask since it was created from the ring.

SPIDERMAN117
07-11-2009, 12:37 AM
YES!!!!! Big YES!!!!

craigdbfan
07-11-2009, 12:40 AM
Yea I say.

The mask is an important aesthetic and key to Hal/Green Lantern imo.

I'd prefer if he had the mask and his pupils white too.

NightBeetle
07-11-2009, 12:43 AM
Of course yes

The Squirrel
07-11-2009, 02:26 AM
Yea for the mask. I could go either way for the pupils.

Timstuff
07-11-2009, 02:34 AM
Yes to the mask, and his pupils should be visible. I don't think invisible pupils are necessary in live action, since you can get the live action equivalent simply by putting black makeup on the skin between the eyes and mask material.

batman44
07-11-2009, 02:49 AM
Mask all the way! I would like fully white pupils or atleast at times to be fully white.

Lobo
07-11-2009, 04:59 AM
Yes.

THE MR. TERRIFIC
07-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Need da Mask!:gl:

Wesley Dodds
07-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Huh?

Of course he should have the mask! We've never seen Gl in live action before, like we have almost every other superhero so WB dont have the leeway to change up the costume the way other suphero movies have.
We need to introduce the real masked, white gloved classic costume Hal to the public first, then maybe a couple of years down the line when everybody knows Green Lantern, they can start to change small things...

He also needs to have the white pupils in the mask. The way i see it, it's gonna be hard enough for some people to ignore the fact that there's no way ANYBODY wouldn't know Hal is Green Lantern as soon as they saw him. I mean, it's a small green domino mask! He doesn't even change his voice. The white pupils can only help.

I believe the white pupils are in the script, yes?

protocida
07-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Hal's puppils become white in the Script. I bet they'll change that. Might limitated the actor's range.

Wesley Dodds
07-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Hal's puppils become white in the Script. I bet they'll change that. Might limitated the actor's range.

I wouldn't mind that too much. Alex Ross does Hal without white pupils and it looks good.
But, i still say they're a good idea. I'm definitely Pro-White eyes!

BizarroAids
07-11-2009, 11:17 AM
The mask to me, makes the character that much cooler. IMO. As far as the eyes go. I guess either way would work for me. If they were normal color or all white. I'm kinda hoping at one point they turn green. That would be a cool visual.:huh:

Project862006
07-11-2009, 11:26 AM
the mask looked fine on the comedian and the spirit in film so why would'nt it look fine on GL

Steelsheen
07-11-2009, 11:30 AM
yes with the mask. it can be an actual physical mask, or a creation of the power ring, it doesnt matter so long as it conceals his real identity. as for pupils vs whiteouts, whatever makes the mask look better. but for the sake of the actor, go with the pupils, it will make conveying emotions easier to get on film. then maybe CG some green glow to it later.

Drakon
07-11-2009, 11:54 AM
I say yes to the mask, but I don't necessarily want his eyes to be made white. I think that it'd be better if they were a vivid shade of green with the mask on, instead.

hippie_hunter
07-11-2009, 12:06 PM
I say yes to the mask, but I don't necessarily want his eyes to be made white. I think that it'd be better if they were a vivid shade of green with the mask on, instead.

That's how I'd like it to be. The only comic book character who wears a mask that should have white eyes is Batman.

mclay18
07-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Yes. No question about it.

AnorexicBatman
07-11-2009, 12:28 PM
The mask is in the first draft of the script.

Majik1387
07-11-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm happy no one voted no mask.:up:

Wesley Dodds
07-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Me too.

Majik1387
07-11-2009, 12:34 PM
I was curious to see the results considering the poll on the white gloves.

Superman
07-11-2009, 12:35 PM
I want the mask in this movie.:cmad:

:cwink::oldrazz:

Wesley Dodds
07-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Yeah. It looks like it's shaping up well. I like that everyone seems to want to stay as faithful to the comicbook costume as possible.

Drakon
07-11-2009, 12:50 PM
I want the mask in this movie.:cmad:

:cwink::oldrazz:

[img]www.photobucket.com/Drakon/JimCarreyTheMask.jp.......

Nah, too easy. :p

dnno1
07-11-2009, 01:29 PM
If they do it like "Secret Origins" he would have the mask at first and then appreciate the value of having it. I certainly wish that for once the producers can pull off the white eyes in the mask though.

Doctor Jones
07-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Of course he has to have the mask!

It's bad enough Supes doesn't have one and makes everyone surrounding him look like idiots for not recgonizing Clark.

"Hey, Hal was replaced by a man with a green costume with a power ring!"

Hal turns around

"Oh my God! It looks exactly like Hal!"

samsnee
07-11-2009, 04:10 PM
It'd remind of Robin from Batman and Robin.

Timstuff
07-11-2009, 04:36 PM
His pupils should be visible, but there should be an epic shot somewhere where his eyes light up green. Maybe while he's using the ring, his irises and pupils turn to a glowing green.

Majik1387
07-11-2009, 04:46 PM
It'd remind of Robin from Batman and Robin.
You should get over that movie seeing as how its a decade old.

craigdbfan
07-11-2009, 04:56 PM
The white pupils when he is wearing his costume makes sense with Hal more than any other SH we've seen on screen thus far.

Showing the actors actual pupils works with Batman, The Comedian, and Ozymandias because none of them have "super powers". Hal Jordan on the other hand has been invested with an "alien" power ring.

If there's ever been a good reason to adapt the white pupil aspect it has to be Green Lantern just because they have an explanation that the ring is alien and is just one of the effects it causes onto the user.

Those saying it might affect the actors emotional range doesn't really quite cut it when even a rather "indifferent" persona type like Dr.Manhattan was able to pull off the white pupils excellently without being a detriment on Crudups acting ability.

The only time the white pupils shouldn't be used is when the hero is a regular human being and when most of the actors face is already covered by a mask and cowl (ex: Batman).

Hal Jordan/Green Lantern's face is almost completely exposed for the exception of the domino mask. I really think the white pupils can work in this case of Hal.

terry78
07-11-2009, 05:40 PM
If his eyes were pretty much blank when in hero mode it would definitely add to his wanting to look more imposing to supervillains.

greenlantern248
07-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Well of course he needs the mask, where filming Hal here not John or Guy

Octoberist
07-13-2009, 01:40 PM
it would be cool if Hal didn't have pupils.

Chris B
07-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Definitely need to keep the mask. His pupils should also be visible. Maybe do what has been done with every Batman suit for the last 20 years and paint some make-up on the exposed skin by Reynold's eyes when he's wearing the mask. Only in this case green.

Wesley Dodds
07-13-2009, 03:44 PM
I think you can get away with black make-up. Batman is just a man. He made his costume himself.
It's a little different for GL. I'd be looking at the green make-up around his eyes and thinking "wait... Did the ring apply that?"

Hal also doesn't strike me as the sorta guy who'd go along with wearing make-up either. Whatever the circumstances...

ultimatefan
07-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Tough question. On one hand, it´s always been part of Hal´s costume. On the other, it doesn´t quite make sense to me that a GL, who´s a member of a peacekeeping corps, and not a vigilante like Batman, should wear a mask. John Stewart and Guy Gardner didn´t wear one. There´s the "protecting beloved ones" angle, but again, if you kill or blackmail Superman, his powers are neutralized, if you kill or blackmail Hal, they´ll give the ring to someone else or let another GL do the job.

Wesley Dodds
07-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Tough question. On one hand, it´s always been part of Hal´s costume. On the other, it doesn´t quite make sense to me that a GL, who´s a member of a peacekeeping corps, and not a vigilante like Batman, neushould wear a mask. John Stewart and Guy Gardner didn´t wear one. There´s the "protecting beloved ones" angle, but again, if you kill or blackmail Superman, his powers aretralized, if you kill or blackmail Hal, they´ll give the ring to someone else or let another GL do the job.

It's not just rhe "protecting his loved ones" agle, though.
Hal enjoys having a life outside of the corps. It's important to him he keeps some semblance of normality. He loves being a pilot and just being one of the guys... Something he couldn't do anymore if everyone knew he was Green Lantern.

Guy and John have made the Corps their Lives. They've devoted themelves to it and don't really have anything else in their lives... That's why they don't bother hiding who they are. They have nothing to lose.
They're Green Lanterns and they don't care who knows.

ultimatefan
07-13-2009, 04:00 PM
^Makes sense.

Drakon
07-13-2009, 05:59 PM
If you kill or blackmail Hal, they´ll give the ring to someone else or let another GL do the job.

Which is kind of a point to keep the mask, I think. It helps preserve a sense of anonymity. To a degree, it's worse to be pursued by a "faceless" man.

Octoberist
07-14-2009, 12:56 AM
i also think Green Lantern is probably one of the few heroes that I think that pulls of the domino mask well.

Kent
07-14-2009, 05:46 AM
Mask, but no white eyes.

MagicPrime
07-14-2009, 07:26 AM
I think when he first gets the ring he should not have the mask. Then the first time he runs in to someone else or uses his powers in public he constructs the mask with the ring to hide his identity.

Also, for the eyes I think glowing green irises would be great.

Webhead2006
07-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Yes i agree mask all the way. I am sure who ever the costumer person is i blanking on the person's name at this time, can find material and look that comes off looking good and not cheesy. Like others have said if the spirt/watchmen guys can pull it off well why cant green lantern do it too. As for the white eyes/pupils thing. I think he should have pupils but times he is powered up/using the ring maybe they cgi glowing aura/glow on the eyes.

Watson
07-14-2009, 02:37 PM
I think when he first gets the ring he should not have the mask. Then the first time he runs in to someone else or uses his powers in public he constructs the mask with the ring to hide his identity.

Also, for the eyes I think glowing green irises would be great.

I liked when he decided to wear it in New Frontier, but that coudn't be replicated for this film.

Doctor Jones
07-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Instead of white lenses, go with white light, and maybe a hint of green eyes when you look closer into Hal's eyes. Just a ring around it or something. Also gives off more of the ring motif.

In hero mode or when some ****'s going down or when he's close like in the scenes with Carol, the tone of the white light should depend.

Like Ghost Rider's flames. Bright and fierce in hero mode but calm and normal with Carol but it should still throw her off from being Hal.

Nathan
07-14-2009, 05:31 PM
I say mask with sightly green glowing pupils.

SsM
07-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Of course!

dnno1
07-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Which is kind of a point to keep the mask, I think. It helps preserve a sense of anonymity. To a degree, it's worse to be pursued by a "faceless" man.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/Cop.jpg
Typical Police Officer

It would be just like cops who wear shades. A lot of that is to protect their Identity.

Drakon
07-15-2009, 07:47 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/Cop.jpg
Typical Police Officer

It would be just like cops who wear shades. A lot of that is to protect their Identity.

Precisely.

Octoberist
07-15-2009, 07:48 PM
really? I had no idea.

Sub-Zero
07-15-2009, 08:04 PM
glanced at secret origins. there was a part where the ring creates the mask for him to conceal his identity when earth people arrive after he's saved a plane. could work well for the movie.

Saint
07-15-2009, 09:32 PM
If you vote against the mask, I hate you forever. Masklessness is one of the greatest failings in the modernization of superheroes

SsM
07-15-2009, 09:33 PM
I wonder who voted no mask.

M.O.Steel
07-20-2009, 02:25 PM
i didn't, but i can be ok with it if is was gone.

he is beyond earth now. he's not here to stop petty criminals from robbing banks, he is much more than that. no need for the mask.

Octoberist
07-20-2009, 02:57 PM
the mask to me is one of the visual elements that makes Hal's Green Lantern cool.

M.O.Steel
07-20-2009, 03:11 PM
yeah it would look pretty naked without it.

Octoberist
07-20-2009, 03:13 PM
again, I think Hal Jordan is one of the few heroes (IMO) who can sport the domino mask and make it look cool. It works for him well.

M.O.Steel
07-20-2009, 05:03 PM
If you vote against the mask, I hate you forever. Masklessness is one of the greatest failings in the modernization of superheroes

who got shafted? everyone retained their masks

Infinity9999x
07-20-2009, 06:42 PM
who got shafted? everyone retained their masks

X-men springs to mind.

terry78
07-20-2009, 07:00 PM
I think with X-Men that was ultimately symbolism. You're a mutant first, and you don't want to hide that fact, nor your face. Other superheroes got their powers from random accidents, so they feel more of a need to be secretive. With Xavier AND Magneto out there preaching, you feel more pride to an extent.

M.O.Steel
07-20-2009, 08:42 PM
X-men springs to mind.

i'll give you wolverine. but no one else really wears a mask in the comics either.

M.O.Steel
07-20-2009, 08:44 PM
i think if they do use a mask, i think the nose bridge shouldn't be included. it should be like robin's and batgirls in B&R

Doctor Jones
07-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Wolverine in the films would of looked like Batman with a mask. It worked fine.

Webhead2006
07-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Yea i said it before i do hope they go with the mask and with the right material and look it could be a great visual look on hal.

storyteller
07-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Unless they never plan on having Hal step foot on earth as a green lantern..........um right

He needs the mask. Honestly is more more then a disguise. Its putting on the face.

Webhead2006
07-20-2009, 10:28 PM
actually the live action film has him based on earth for pretty much the whole film doesnt it. Its only the animated film that is earth for opening minutes and space for the rest right.

M.O.Steel
07-21-2009, 02:44 PM
can we please not talk about script details? at least have spoiler tags around them webhead.

Drakon
07-21-2009, 02:53 PM
It is in the spoiler section. Not to mention that unless he works for Warner, he's basing info off of an old scripts

SsM
07-21-2009, 05:45 PM
i think if they do use a mask, i think the nose bridge shouldn't be included. it should be like robin's and batgirls in B&R

Wow, never thought those words would be used TOGETHER in the same sentence.

M.O.Steel
07-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Wow, never thought those words would be used TOGETHER in the same sentence.

i know i was surprised about referencing that film.

M.O.Steel
07-21-2009, 06:36 PM
It is in the spoiler section. Not to mention that unless he works for Warner, he's basing info off of an old scripts

yes i heard that argument before. many come to the spoiler section because there is always minimal activity in the other one. this has manip thread, pictures thread, news, nothing compared to the non-spoiler thread. i come to these thread for those. now if this thread was discussing storylines, scripts, then it's different. but in other threads, it literally takes 1 sec to put the blackout around the words.

and many times old scprits provide foundations to revised scripts.

Webhead2006
07-21-2009, 11:35 PM
M.O i was just more talking about the animated film which many know its mostly space based.

Marlboro Man
07-21-2009, 11:41 PM
I like the idea of having the mask with some kind of green glow to the eyes. Even if that isn't how it happens, I still think the Green Lantern needs the mask. I can't really imagine him without it.

Webhead2006
07-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Yea hal has always been portrayed with a mask right it would be silly not to have him with it.

M.O.Steel
07-22-2009, 05:41 PM
M.O i was just more talking about the animated film which many know its mostly space based.

fair enough. no worries.

Lightning Strykez!
07-22-2009, 08:56 PM
In answer to the question, it's not GL without the mask, so I vote yes. But it needs to be done with finesse...so it doesn't come across cheesy.

SsM
07-22-2009, 09:01 PM
In answer to the question, it's not GL without the mask, so I vote yes. But it needs to be done with finesse...so it doesn't come across cheesy.

I agree, I keep trying to visualize it in my head to no avail.

Octoberist
07-22-2009, 09:10 PM
it's completely possible to make it basarse.

Lightning Strykez!
07-22-2009, 09:11 PM
I agree, I keep trying to visualize it in my head to no avail.

The guy in Watchmen wore a mask...in fact didn't a couple of the characters have them? It didn't strike me as stupid then. But so much had to do with the badazz attitude the characters had BEHIND the mask. That's why the writing, acting, directing, etc. all has to be off the chain to make this work. :up:

Octoberist
07-22-2009, 09:12 PM
yeah i agree. It's more on confidence under the mask, and I think Ryan has it.

SsM
07-22-2009, 09:15 PM
The guy in Watchmen wore a mask...in fact didn't a couple of the characters have them? It didn't strike me as stupid then. But so much had to do with the badazz attitude the characters had BEHIND the mask. That's why the writing, acting, directing, etc. all has to be off the chain to make this work. :up:

The only one in Watchmen that rubbed me the wrong way was Ozymandias's mask.

Octoberist
07-22-2009, 09:16 PM
I'll be honest, Ozy's mask was kinda awkward. There were lids on it, giving him a weird 'lazy' eye look.

Webhead2006
07-23-2009, 12:05 AM
Yea from the bits and pieces i saw of watchmen, with the right materials/designs i am sure they can make hal's mask look good and not cheesy.

DukeJordan
08-06-2009, 07:19 AM
I say absolutely mask, and when he uses the power ring or charges it his eyes/pupils should change white/green.

Also, has there been any mention of salt and pepper hair? Or are we assuming this is an origins type movie and Hal is young?

Webhead2006
08-06-2009, 12:37 PM
i dont think the salt and pepper hair is going to be done.

Wesley Dodds
08-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Doesn't he Get the parallax streaks in his hair after he opens the battery at the end?
In the first draft, anyways...

protocida
08-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Yes.

I don't like that.

Webhead2006
08-06-2009, 02:40 PM
well its likely it probably was changed out in the later drafts, so much is unknown right now.

Wesley Dodds
08-06-2009, 02:44 PM
I just want to know what silly bastards voted for "We don't need it, that is some cheesy **** right there"...

Webhead2006
08-06-2009, 03:08 PM
ya i know its a defining trait of the character it would be a fools move not to do it.

Brian Braddock
08-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Hal's got to have the mask. He's got to. You just dont jetisson years of tradition for the sake of it.

As to the whole, pupils vs non pupils debate; there's been a suggestion that when Hal's in costume but not actively using the ring, you can see his eyes. But as soon as he uses the ring, the green aura and the white/green eye effect becomes apparent.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/SUPERBENITEZ/scan0002-2.jpg

So, in short - why not the best of both worlds? How's that for a compromise?

Octoberist
08-08-2009, 01:53 PM
I also think that, after watching First Flight, that the mask should be a dark green; or at least darker than the green on the suit.