PDA

View Full Version : The Official Power Ring Thread

He-Man
07-14-2009, 11:03 AM
http://i31.tinypic.com/1624m7m.jpg

What things are you looking forward to seeing lanterns do with the ring?

(Giant Fist, Shield, Cage, Battering Ram, ect..ect)

Webhead2006
07-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Hmmm thats a tough call, i would like to see less cheesy objects and more objects that wouldnt be consider cheesy looking. So i go with engery beams, shields, walls, maybe a claw or hand to grab someone or something.

Wesley Dodds
07-14-2009, 02:05 PM
A giant boxing glove (an affectionate nod to the silver age)

A classic Green Lantern containment orb (y'know the ones he used to take bad guys to the science cells in)

A construct of his father at the end, that smiles at him and symbolically blows away in the wind (a la Secret Origins)

A Megaphone ("This is Green Lantern! You are under arrest! Come out with your hands on your head!")

A skateboard... :hehe: Kidding.

dnno1
07-14-2009, 02:10 PM
I am looking forward (or at least like to see) the writers emphasizing that the ring is the most powerful "weapon in the universe" and giving examples of how powerful it really is like traveling faster than light (FTL), traveling beyond time, moving mountains, etc.

\S/JcDc\S/
07-27-2009, 06:42 AM
It can be a question of how cartoonish should you get? BUT, I'd like to see some inventive uses of the ring.

Interesting objects and placement would be great.

I'd like to see him form a rushing waterfall of pain, then have it form right back up to prison bars :D

protocida
07-27-2009, 02:17 PM
In the 1 draft, I remember him doing:

. shrimp crackers.
. Giant green fists.
. Paris.
. Walls.
. Ropes.
. Shields.
. Force fields.

I'd like to see him do:

. Giant green hands.
. Boxing gloves.
. Force fields.
. Shields.
. Missile lauchers.
. An cockpit armor.
. His father (Secret Origins).
. An folding chair. (Green Lantern: First Flight).
. An jet.

zeptron
07-27-2009, 02:21 PM
A hammer. Like one of his special moves in MK vs DC.

Wesley Dodds
07-27-2009, 02:24 PM
A giant boxing glove. Love it or hate it. it's a classic Jordan move and should be in this movie.

That-Guy
07-27-2009, 02:55 PM
I don't know... the constructs in the comics look okay but I'm not sure how well it will work in a movie. I was thinking more along the lines of energy blasts and forcefields, but I suppose that would get boring after a while.

Wesley Dodds
07-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Definitely! Part of the fun of GL is he can make ANYTHING he can think of. Limiting Hal to just forcefields and energy beams would be inbelievably boring considering the potential...

That-Guy
07-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I know... I just fear that the big green fists and such would look too silly. Hell, Hal has even made fun of how ridiculous they are in the comics.

Wesley Dodds
07-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I know... I just fear that the big green fists and such would look too silly. Hell, Hal has even made fun of how ridiculous they are in the comics.

It all boils down to context. It depends totally on how they're used. Secret Origins made a place for the giant boxing glove and it worked really well. (Hals first day of bootcamp)
Johns is apparently contributing to the script so maybe they could just port that scene over directly.

AnorexicBatman
07-27-2009, 04:02 PM
He also makes a scimitar to spar with Sienstro

ChickenScratch
07-27-2009, 04:22 PM
I would love to see him do Superman. Things crashing down and he does a giant Superman as a shield.

SlackBrian
07-27-2009, 04:28 PM
All the more reason to be thankful that dreadful Green Lantern pitch featuring Jack Black didn't get greenlit. Didn't he say that his Green Lantern would make giant green sex toys with the ring? Why.... Just why....

Wesley Dodds
07-27-2009, 04:34 PM
The more i hear about that movie, the more i want to drive a pick-up truck over whoever came up with the idea... And i don't even drive.

protocida
07-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Kilowog would tell Legion's origin using singing green puppets. :hehe:

Bren
07-27-2009, 05:25 PM
I've always thought that Hal would use those boxing gloves, and Sinestro and Kilowog would be showing him that he's wasting energy (willpower) making the shape and could do better with 'simpler' designs. Jordan would basically throw the middle finger up :woot:!

Hush
07-27-2009, 06:45 PM
I hope the actual Power Ring itself stays true to the comic, no variation at all.

Wesley Dodds
07-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Yeah, me too. It'd be a nice touch if all of the Lanterns had their proper rings...

PumpkinBombxXx
07-27-2009, 07:31 PM
well it ryan renolds so you know there will be some humor when it comes to the constructs. I hope that each lanterns energy style is differnt like there personalities just like the current comics

Wesley Dodds
07-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Yeah, Kilowogs should be the only one that makes a sound like the books...

protocida
07-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Silent rings? I don't think so.

Wesley Dodds
07-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Why not? They're slent in the book.

It's the damage they do that makes the noise.

protocida
07-27-2009, 07:53 PM
They make noises in ALL medias with sound. I don't think it'll be different in the movies.

Gilpesh
07-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Why not? They're silent in the book.
And they should be silent unless used by Kilowog... :o

Wesley Dodds
07-27-2009, 07:56 PM
And they should be silent unless used by Kilowog... :o

Gilpesh knows.

Gilpesh
07-27-2009, 08:02 PM
Gilpesh knows.
And who really wants to tell Kilowog that everyone's ring is going to make noise... I'm not going to do that...

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8016/glcorp38.jpg

protocida
07-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Noisy rings, I say!

Gilpesh
07-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Silent rings except for Kilowog's. :cmad:

protocida
07-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Noisy Rings! :cmad:

Gilpesh
07-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Never. It would be annoying once you get a whole bunch of Lanterns together fighting.

sdc10
07-27-2009, 08:23 PM
Silent rings except for Kilowog's. :cmad:

I never understood the belief behind "silent rings", i know it was stated in a comic, but i think it was pretty apparent in Sinestro Corps War that the rings do make a noise when used. When Bedovian used his ring it clearly said "voom".

protocida
07-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Never. It would be annoying once you get a whole bunch of Lanterns together fighting.
No, it wouldn't.

NOISY RINGS! :cmad:

SlackBrian
07-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Silent rings... in space. Scientific accuracy, I say.

protocida
07-27-2009, 09:38 PM
What about the impact?

sdc10
07-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Silent rings... in space. Scientific accuracy, I say.

You want scientific accuracy in a movie about a bunch of people who can fly as a result of wearing a ring?

SlackBrian
07-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Well, it was more of joke based on the silent/noisy debate... A joke that clearly failed. Victory.

SatEL
07-28-2009, 07:01 AM
http://i31.tinypic.com/1624m7m.jpg

What things are you looking forward to seeing lanterns do with the ring?

(Giant Fist, Shield, Cage, Battering Ram, ect..ect)

I would love to see herald level feats e.g. Time stop, mind reading and the likes. Might be best to save those for later films though.

protocida
07-28-2009, 07:13 PM
^Agreed.

It'd be cool to see Hal flying trough walls, tough.

Wesley Dodds
07-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Whatever happened to that? Hal hasn't done that in ages.
Has it been Ret-Johnned?

protocida
07-28-2009, 07:19 PM
I believe they avoid it to not make the GLs overpowered.

Wesley Dodds
07-28-2009, 07:22 PM
The flying through walls thing is the ONE old school ringpower from GL history i'd actually like to see in the flick... What about you, man?

protocida
07-28-2009, 07:29 PM
. Flying trough walls.
. Invisibility.
. Communication.
. Universal translator.

Wesley Dodds
07-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Not so sure about invisibility. That might make it too easy for him.

protocida
07-28-2009, 07:37 PM
You're probably right. Forget invisibility.

Mister J
07-28-2009, 07:44 PM
I hope they hit on the ring's status as essentially a communicating supercomputer; as opposed to limiting it to constructs and energy blasts. Some of the more sentient functions, like the reserve power for its user's protection, an inability to use it to kill someone, etc.

However, one thing I do not want to see is that crap 'willpower exceeding ring capacity' garbage Johns came up with a couple of years ago.

protocida
07-28-2009, 07:48 PM
I really like the "willpower exceeding the ring capacity".

Wesley Dodds
07-28-2009, 07:49 PM
So do I.

Mister J
07-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority then. For me, having the ring's ability long cited as only being limited by the willpower of its wearer was more enjoyable from a reader's perspective. I didn't really care for the new inclusion.

protocida
07-28-2009, 07:55 PM
There's also the power level.

Wesley Dodds
07-28-2009, 07:57 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority then. For me, having the ring's ability long cited as only being limited by the willpower of its wearer was more enjoyable from a reader's perspective. I didn't really care for the new inclusion.

I can completely see where you're comin' from, J and yeah, for the movies it's probably for the best if they dont use the whole "exceeding willpower" thing but i reckon in the books it works really well... It's epic!

Mister J
07-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Trying to recreate an entire planet, only to have the ring conk out from overload, is pretty epic and certainly does convey the magnitude of the willpower involved. However, I'm a stubborn fanboy and simply refuse to condone the change. :p

I suppose I felt there was an added mystical quality to the ring before. Not a dealbreaker though.

The Caped Knight
07-30-2009, 12:55 PM
I want to see Hal use the ring to it's limits .

Wesley Dodds
07-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Push it to the limit
Walk along the razor's edge
but don't look down, just keep your head
and you'll be finished

Open up the limit
past the point of no return
You've reached the top but still you gotta learn
how to keep it

Hit the wheel and double the stakes
throttle wide open like a bat out of hell
and you crash the gates
(crash the gates)

Going for the back of beyond
Nothing gonna stop you
there's nothing that strong
So close now you're nearly at the brink
so, push it

(Ooo yeah)

Welcome to the limit
(The limit)
Take it maybe one step more
The power game's still playing so
you better win it

Push it to the limit
(The limit)
With no one left to stand in your way
you might get careless, but you'll never be safe
while you still feel it

Welcome to the limit
(The limit)
Standing on the razor's edge
don't look down just keep your head
and you'll be finished

Welcome to the limit
(The limit)
(The limit)
(The limit)
(The limit)

Push it to the limit
(The limit)
(The limit)
(The limit)
(The limit)

(The limit)
(The limit)
(The limit)
(The limit)

Push it to the limit
(The limit)
(The limit)
(The limit)
(The limit)

AnorexicBatman
07-30-2009, 01:38 PM
THIS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqXE57VD3m8

Doctor Jones
07-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Okay, so in order to pull this off without look to corny. I was thinking of getting rid of the green trail that is in the middle of the object and the ring itself.

Hal can just summon the object like a giant fist, but that's all we see. No green trail connecting it to the ring.

protocida
07-30-2009, 04:14 PM
About the hands, I've been thinking about making them holographic-like, above Hal's hands. When he throws a punch, the green hands makes to blown. Do you understand this?

Katsuro
07-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Do you understand this?

Not even a little bit.

Webhead2006
07-30-2009, 08:54 PM
hmm i wonder how that would look not having what ever her thinks of not attached to the ring, i think it could be done and not look cheesy but hopefully the sfx guys can figure something good out.

protocida
07-31-2009, 01:14 PM
Not even a little bit.
Damn. :csad:

rdh007
08-01-2009, 07:51 AM
If the ring is going to talk, which I think it should. Who would be the voice? When I read Secret Origins and Emerald Dawn I heard David Hyde Pierce's voice each time. Now, having said that, that would be a lot like casting Doug Jones to be every skinny alien and Ron Perlman to be every big alien, so I'm wondering what other's thoughts are. Or is there already a thread for this?

Doctor Jones
08-01-2009, 09:47 AM
In the script the ring doesn't talk. That would seem kind of silly anyway.

And proticida I do get what you're saying. I do hope the SFX guys work something otu so it doesn't look cheesy.

protocida
08-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Agreed. :)

I think the ring could talk, but I imagine an feminine voice (Especially with Hal :hehe:). Maybe Julianne Moore (She was great as "the voice" from Eagle Eye).

Webhead2006
08-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Ya a talking ring could be looked at as a silly thing, but if they can figure a way it isnt cheesy i am all for it. But the logical thing would be for the ring to just make sounds when its powered up/de powered/makes objects.

CaptainGenerica
08-01-2009, 09:35 PM
About the hands, I've been thinking about making them holographic-like, above Hal's hands. When he throws a punch, the green hands makes to blown. Do you understand this?

I think I understand what you mean.

I was thinking they should do something more like...Falcon Punch (from Smash Bros). That would be awesome, I think. Sort of like using floating boxing gloves, but a little less silly.

Not shaped like a bird of course, but a fist (or fireball or whatever) that he uses to punch with.

JackIvyGB
08-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Okay, so in order to pull this off without look to corny. I was thinking of getting rid of the green trail that is in the middle of the object and the ring itself.

Hal can just summon the object like a giant fist, but that's all we see. No green trail connecting it to the ring.

Dear God yes! I want to lose the green energy tether that ties the construct back to the ring! It's one thing if he's doing something that involves actually "roping" something to bind it or pull it closer, but as far as forming other objects to use, it should go. It would look so much cooler with out it! The tether adds this touch of cartooniness to everything, like it's one of Inspector Gadget's goofy gloved hands that come out of his hat.

MatthewZD
08-02-2009, 07:19 PM
hmm i wonder how that would look not having what ever her thinks of not attached to the ring, i think it could be done and not look cheesy but hopefully the sfx guys can figure something good out.

With the boxing glove, it could be the glove starts from Hal's fist and grows to large size as it travels from his fist to whatever he's aiming it at. This could be done with various constructs, like cages to trap criminals.

Eliminating the tether to his ring would work as long as it's apparent that the construct was formed by his ring in this way, that it's seen coming from his ring.

The only time it would be connected is if Hal's forming a rope or some sort of tether to pull someone toward him.

If the ring is going to talk, which I think it should. Who would be the voice? When I read Secret Origins and Emerald Dawn I heard David Hyde Pierce's voice each time. Now, having said that, that would be a lot like casting Doug Jones to be every skinny alien and Ron Perlman to be every big alien, so I'm wondering what other's thoughts are. Or is there already a thread for this?

I say have whomever plays Abin Sur become the voice of the ring. That just seems to make the most sense -- have the voice be that of the previous bearer.

StanLee Wannabe
08-02-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm wondering if the ring has a voice when the comic book writers draw the squares with data on it...ya know like "Power Level: 34%" or "Planet: Xyxoere. 11232 inhibitants" Is there a voice?

I know it's not an artificial intelligence or he would interact with it. The character Nova has an interactive ai that he interacts with (The Worldmind) which is different.

Makes me wonder if the ring has one of those "The car is ajar" voices.

sdc10
08-02-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm wondering if the ring has a voice when the comic book writers draw the squares with data on it...ya know like "Power Level: 34%" or "Planet: Xyxoere. 11232 inhibitants" Is there a voice?

I know it's not an artificial intelligence or he would interact with it. The character Nova has an interactive ai that he interacts with (The Worldmind) which is different.

Makes me wonder if the ring has one of those "The car is ajar" voices.

Yes it does have a voice, in the Sinestro Corps War a lantern asked what the antimatter universe was, the ring then answered. The lantern then responded "you learn something new on Oa everyday". It would be odd if the lantern said that out loud if he only received the answer in his head.

protocida
08-02-2009, 09:47 PM
In Emerald Dawn and Secret Origins, Hal always says "Who's talking?" when the Ring starts communicating with him.

Webhead2006
08-02-2009, 11:49 PM
do you guys think they will do that, and for those who did read the whole first draft did they do that, if not their do you think it was put in during later drafts?

Mindreaper21
08-03-2009, 12:03 AM
Just had a thought. I see alot of discussion about the rings power, but what about the look of the ring? I'm thinking it should look something like a class ring. Silver with markings along the side, an emerald stone and the symbol ingraved inside of the stone. Any other suggestions?

Wesley Dodds
08-03-2009, 12:07 AM
No, the ring should be Hal's proper ring. Every Lantern should have the ring they have in the comics. I mean, why not? It seems like otherwise they'd only be changing them for the sake of changing them and what's the point in that?

Webhead2006
08-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Ya that is a good question i do think the symbol should be a green emerald like stone an maybe a silver/green casing around it.

Webhead2006
08-03-2009, 12:08 AM
heck those replica gl rings i seen pics of still look pretty sweet looking.

Webhead2006
08-03-2009, 12:08 AM

Mindreaper21
08-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Do you have a picture?

Doctor Jones
08-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Just don't let the ring look like a plastic children's ring or anything. It needs some dimension to it.

dnno1
08-03-2009, 10:46 AM
I would love to see herald level feats e.g. Time stop, mind reading and the likes. Might be best to save those for later films though.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/1989-03-14_Action_Comics_642_12_GL.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/1989-03-14_Action_Comics_642_22_GL.jpg

I remember as great time stop feat where Hal was on the verge of death and decided to stretch a nanosecond into an eternity so he could choose a successor. After some discussion with Deadman (he was impervious to time since he was dead), Hal decides that he doesn't want to die and wills himself to life again. That is the greatness of having the ring. You can do anything you can imagine even deciding weather to live or die.

Wesley Dodds
08-03-2009, 10:50 AM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/1989-03-14_Action_Comics_642_12_GL.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/1989-03-14_Action_Comics_642_22_GL.jpg

I remember as great time stop feat where Hal was on the verge of death and decided to stretch a nanosecond into an eternity so he could choose a successor. After some discussion with Deadman (he was impervious to time since he was dead), Hal decides that he doesn't want to die and wills himself to life again. That is the greatness of having the ring. You can do anything you can imagine even deciding weather to live or die.

That's VERY pre-crisis, though. I don't think the ring is gonna be that powerful in the movie.
Especially, with Geoff Johns on script-doctoring duties. I'm expecting something more in line with his Secret Origins.

dnno1
08-03-2009, 10:57 AM
That's VERY pre-crisis, though. I don't think the ring is gonna be that powerful in the movie.
Especially, with Geoff Johns on script-doctoring duties. I'm expecting something more in line with his Secret Origins.

Well, I'm going to say this. It would be very hypocritical if in one breath they said that the ring would allow you to do anything within your imagination and then in another, say that it is limited. The only limitation should be the user's imagination and will, the 24 hour charge, or the weakness to yellow (which should be clarified).

protocida
08-03-2009, 12:10 PM
The Ring can CREATE anything within it's user imagination. Anything other than that would be overpower.

dnno1
08-03-2009, 02:54 PM

Do you have a picture?

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/Ringsig.jpg

protocida
08-03-2009, 03:12 PM
I like the Green Lantern: First Flight ring design.

Webhead2006
08-03-2009, 04:01 PM
I am sure they will come up with something great looking, and they will probably have tons of replica versions too for fans, like someone said before for gl and marketing come comic con next yr they should have tshirts/replica rings for attendees.

Ace of Knaves
08-06-2009, 08:36 AM
So do you want the ring to have an actual voice? If so what sort of voice?

AnorexicBatman
08-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Hal Jordan = Sexy Female
Jon Stewart = Gruff Military dude
Kyle Rayner = Bugs Bunny
Guy Gardner = Himself

Ace of Knaves
08-06-2009, 08:53 AM
:hehe: Well yea a different voice for each ring bearer would be cool. And yea I'd imagine Hal's would be a seductive female voice. Or maybe even his fathers voice? That would be a cool little touch.

protocida
08-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Hal should have a female ring voice. :hehe:

Octoberist
08-06-2009, 12:44 PM
The voice of Jerry Lewis.

Wesley Dodds
08-06-2009, 12:47 PM
I think the voice of the ring should have a cold, monotonous, computer-like tone to it. Whether, it's male or feamle doesn't bother me. But I'd go for male because I hear it a little like HAL from 2001 in my head.

TheWatcher
08-06-2009, 01:19 PM
agreed maybe corey burton's brainiac voice?

The Guard
08-06-2009, 01:22 PM
The ring's should have the voices of their wearers, approximated after the wearer speaks the first time. That would just be weird. And cool. So, so cool.

But there are no voices to the rings in the scripts.

Wesley Dodds
08-06-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm convinced one of the changes Johns made is giving the rings voices... Just look at his Lantern stories, he uses the ring voices ALL the time.

Webhead2006
08-06-2009, 01:30 PM
well we will see if that was added to the film or not.

Ace of Knaves
08-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Yea surely the rings will have voices?

protocida
08-06-2009, 01:41 PM
They don't in the 1 Draft, but they could in later Drafts.

Wesley Dodds
08-06-2009, 01:42 PM
In the first draft, apparently they don't. But, as i said I'm sure Johns has fixed that...

Ace of Knaves
08-06-2009, 01:46 PM
I can picture a scene now of the first time Hal flies into Oa and the ring talking to him, explaining what the Corps is all about and where everything is n that.

Would be a cool scene.

dnno1
08-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Hal Jordan = Sexy Female
Kyle Rayner = Bugs Bunny
Guy Gardner = Himself

Actually, I think it should be a standard female voice (like the woman who does the phone time or the GPS) for every ring, but your suggestion is a very good one.

dnno1
08-06-2009, 02:37 PM

That would be G'nort's ring

Webhead2006
08-06-2009, 03:36 PM
it should be interesting to see if they choose to go with talking ring.

rdh007
08-06-2009, 04:02 PM
My post from the ring thread:

MatthewZD
08-06-2009, 08:21 PM
If each GL has their own unique voice for their ring, I think Hal should have either his father's voice or that of Abin Sur.

Like R. Lee Ermey?

Actually, what might be a great effect would be an overlay of different voices speaking, almost like various voices from the past and across the galaxy.

Wesley Dodds
08-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Actually, Martin Campbell's wife Sol Romero announced a while ago that she has a role in the movie that she can't comment on.
Since she doesn't fit any other role in GL mythology, I'm guessing she's going to be the voice of the rings. Just a funny feeling...

AnorexicBatman
08-06-2009, 08:57 PM
So Sol Romero = Majel Roddenberry?
Voice of the ring = Voice of the Enterprise?

Wesley Dodds
08-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Pretty much, yeah. That's what i'm guessing, anyway.

terry78
08-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Mr. Feeny aka KITT.

rdh007
08-07-2009, 07:06 AM
^You know, I thought Val Kilmer was one of the bright spots of the recent KR "revival". Having said that, we're not talking about brain surgery.

KangConquers
08-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Sigourney Weaver. I loved the disembodied voice she did as the computer in Wall-E.

Franklin Richards
08-07-2009, 02:57 PM
It should be the voice of the Lantern they got the ring from.

:gl: :gl: :gl:

Ace of Knaves
08-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Franklin! Ain't seen you in ages.

And yea the ring with Abin Sur's voice would be cool.

chamber-music
08-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Kevin Spacey's creepy serial killer voice he has in Moon, Usual Suspects and Se7en.

Franklin Richards
08-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Hey Ace! Yeah.. I think that would be cool.

As for where I've been, go check the Folsom Prison Blues thread in Community. :(

:doom: :doom: :doom:

Drakon
08-07-2009, 03:18 PM

"Nice fellow with the zappity ring! Use with the willpower and hassenfeffers! Froinglaven!!"

terry78
08-07-2009, 03:23 PM
If we're going that route, why not Woody Allen?

"Er, uh..geez...current ring capacity is at about 35 uh...percent right now...but don't quote me on that, really. I don't wanna get blamed for you getting into it with that burly Sinestro character and uh, turns out you got like, less power coming outta you than I did that time Mia caught me giving Soon-Yi that sponge bath...."

Wesley Dodds
08-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Matthew Perry?

" Could I be anymore of a ring?"

Franklin Richards
08-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Elmer Fudd : Your powuh is vewy, vewy wow. Pweese wecharge.

protocida
08-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Actually, Martin Campbell's wife Sol Romero announced a while ago that she has a role in the movie that she can't comment on.
Since she doesn't fit any other role in GL mythology, I'm guessing she's going to be the voice of the rings. Just a funny feeling...
I bet she'll be Lianna Sur.

dnno1
08-07-2009, 04:16 PM

I didn't think of that. You might be right.

Ace of Knaves
08-08-2009, 04:21 AM
Hey Ace! Yeah.. I think that would be cool.

As for where I've been, go check the Folsom Prison Blues thread in Community. :(

:doom: :doom: :doom:

You been behind the door?

nite-owl
08-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Brian Blessed should be the voice of the ring.

StanLee Wannabe
08-08-2009, 08:33 AM
They should all have the same semi-robotic voice. If you give the rings different voices, that begins to give them personalities...which means artificial intelligence...which means talking back and forth with the ring...like Stark did with Jarvis in IM.

He obviously doesnt do that in the comics. It's more "Power: 35%" or "Planet Qrtenrhi: 34 billion inhabitants." Sure a sexy voice is great for teenage boys...ok well for us 37 year old boys too...but it doesnt seem to fit to me.

Ace of Knaves
08-08-2009, 08:36 AM
A seductive female voice would suit Hal Jordan though. Each uniform is slightly different depending on the user right? Maybe the same could be applied to the ring. With the uniforms it's what the user wills it to look like. Same could happen with the rings voice.

Brian Braddock
08-08-2009, 09:06 AM
I'd like think the later drafts include the rings talking; I mean, as an expositionary tool, a talking ring that bring's the audience up to speed on events and characters is pretty much priceless from a filmakers point of view.

I liked the earlier idea of each ring approximating the same voice of the bearer after it's heard their vocal patterns for the 1st time, sort of like a personal customisation - just add some sort vocal synth effect to the voice in order to differenciate it from the bearer and we're golden.

chamber-music
08-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Brian Blessed should be the voice of the ring.

Only if he gets to shout "Jordans Alive!" :woot:

protocida
08-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Julianne Moore's voice from Eagle Eye is my choice.

Drakon
08-08-2009, 02:12 PM
They should all have the same semi-robotic voice. If you give the rings different voices, that begins to give them personalities...which means artificial intelligence...which means talking back and forth with the ring...like Stark did with Jarvis in IM.

He obviously doesnt do that in the comics. It's more "Power: 35%" or "Planet Qrtenrhi: 34 billion inhabitants." Sure a sexy voice is great for teenage boys...ok well for us 37 year old boys too...but it doesnt seem to fit to me.

The rings themselves don't necessarily have personalities, but they interact differently with their user. Kilowog's makes a sound, Guy's ring sparks.

Ace of Knaves
08-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Yea but that's more to do with the user I thought. Guy's ring literally sparks because he has so much willpower it's constantly bursting to get out for example. Dunno why Kilowogs one makes a sound though.

Drakon
08-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Exactly my point. So, why not have the ring have a different voice per user? I mean, if you make Kilowog and Guy switch rings, the one on their finger will still act like the one before it.

Ace of Knaves
08-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Ahh yea I see what you are saying. And I'd agree. Their uniforms have little differences depending on the user and how they imagine it, so that should be carried over to their rings I think. The power is based on the users imagination right? So yea, the voice should come from the users imagination too.

I was thinking maybe Hal's dad as the voice of his ring? Something to comfort him and that gives him strength and willpower.

Franklin Richards
08-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Gotta be Abin Sur's voice. A reminder of duty and sacrifice.

AnorexicBatman
08-22-2009, 04:08 AM
The new dual lens camera used to film James Cameron's AVATAR should be used to film and create the energy constructs of the ring. IMAGINE HOW AWESOME IT WOULD BE!!!

I don't know how expensive filming with it really is but they can at least do that much.

The constructs would pop out in your face. I mean you don't have to watch the movie in 3D but if you do, you get an extra treat.

arivin923
08-26-2009, 08:14 PM
what about the voice of the gaurdians or salaak?

Motown Marvel
08-27-2009, 12:24 PM
RING: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

:grin:

The Bruce
10-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Did Johns create the whole ring "sentient being" thing?

Oh and James Earl Jones.

Doctor Jones
10-21-2009, 05:06 PM
No voice please.

dnno1
10-21-2009, 05:48 PM

So Sol Romero = Majel Roddenberry?
Voice of the ring = Voice of the Enterprise?

Pretty much, yeah. That's what i'm guessing, anyway.

I bet she'll be Lianna Sur.

I didn't think of that. You might be right.

On second though, it may not be right. I found this interview of her for her up coming film, "Edge of Darkness" staring Mel Gibson:

F3PHW-gMM-w

Apparently, Her hubby, Martin Campbell, wants her to have some action scenes in the film. I have a feeling that she might either be one of the lanterns or maybe a fellow test pilot or something like that, but not the voice of the ring. Besides, she does not have the voice that would strike me as an artificially inteligent power ring.

DarkSuperman
10-22-2009, 02:03 AM
Ahh yea I see what you are saying. And I'd agree. Their uniforms have little differences depending on the user and how they imagine it, so that should be carried over to their rings I think. The power is based on the users imagination right? So yea, the voice should come from the users imagination too.

I was thinking maybe Hal's dad as the voice of his ring? Something to comfort him and that gives him strength and willpower.

Why not Carol's voice? subconsciously thats prob the one he wants to hear most anyway. Plus she bosses him around all day on the air field and when relaying orders from the guardians the ring will do the same...makes sense to me.

Ace of Knaves
10-22-2009, 04:18 AM
Na I would of thought it'd be his Dad's voice he wants to hear the most. It makes sense to me more than Carol.

Octoberist
10-22-2009, 08:23 AM
wouldn't he want to hear his dad's voice? i'm with ya, ace.

Jahu-Momus
10-22-2009, 02:08 PM
The voice would probably sound more like a Poke'dex. You know, something computer like.

Webhead2006
10-22-2009, 03:01 PM
in comics history, how much/often has the ring talked?

Artistsean
10-29-2009, 01:26 PM
I always imagined that the voice of the Green Lantern Corp.'s rings sounded like the Guardians. Because they created the rings and are the bosses, almost like they programmed their voice into the rings. (I also imagine, for the most part, they all sound similar)

And I imagined that Sinistro's Corp.'s rings sound like him, because he created them and programmed his voice into the rings.

Brian Braddock
10-29-2009, 01:31 PM
That's pretty sound logic, to be fair.

Damn you, Artistsean; Damn you for using logic on a messageboard.

Octoberist
10-29-2009, 01:38 PM
it should sound like Bill Cosby.

Brian Braddock
10-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Nah, Richard Pryor.

terry78
10-29-2009, 03:02 PM
it should sound like bill cosby.

what ya gotta do, ya see, is direct all power into the core because it's just gonna constantly drop ya see, like that time theo dropped that book and it had the joint inside, wa-ha-ha-ha.

Drakon
10-29-2009, 03:24 PM
I always imagined that the voice of the Green Lantern Corp.'s rings sounded like the Guardians. Because they created the rings and are the bosses, almost like they programmed their voice into the rings. (I also imagine, for the most part, they all sound similar)

And I imagined that Sinistro's Corp.'s rings sound like him, because he created them and programmed his voice into the rings.

I was just coming in here to post that.

CaptainGenerica
10-29-2009, 03:56 PM

I like this idea. Either that, or the rings should have the same voice as Ion (should they use the character).

I don't like the idea of using Hal's father for the ring's voice because it may give the impression that his father's spirit inhabits the ring, or something to that effect, which is clearly not the case.

Changeling
10-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Maybe Sol Romero is Katma Tui?

MessiahDecoy123
11-17-2009, 01:11 AM
How good should he be in the beginning, middle, and end of the movie?

What abilities should be saved for a sequel?

Webhead2006
11-17-2009, 01:24 AM
hmm that is a good bunch of questions. At the start i would see him just trying to do a simple construct. But then when he understands what the power is do more and use the power better.

MessiahDecoy123
11-17-2009, 01:37 AM
Should he have a revelation near the end obtaining Neo like power at the end?

Octoberist
11-17-2009, 01:39 AM
maybe near the end, he learns to do more complex constructs, like creating a fighter plane or King Kon. Just as the movie goes on he observes other Lanterns and their styles.

Mac_Hine
11-18-2009, 10:30 PM
Slow progression of simple constructs to very complex. Maybe even at the end creating a deus ex machina type construct to deafeat Sinestro.

In2Minds
12-02-2009, 12:35 PM
As reguards the silent vs Noisy debate i think the justice league cartoon handled it rather well, it wasn't overly loud unless Jon was PO' and even then it didnt make a huge noise it was just a small scccching noise :huh: whenever the ring was used.

In2Minds
12-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Elmer Fudd : Your powuh is vewy, vewy wow. Pweese wecharge.

sorry for the double post and all but this, please god WB do this!

*crying with laughter*

oh and while we're on the subject how about

Dr Cox: *Whistles* Judy! I Re-heeeeeee-eally think you outta recharge your ring.

Chris B
12-02-2009, 05:03 PM
What if as a tribute to his work on Justice League, they got Phil LaMar to do the voice of the ring.

superkong 500
05-12-2010, 08:27 PM
I wondered why there wasn't a thread for this, after all is the most important visual aspect of the film. If the constructs fail the movie will suffer badly. Anyway Iam interested in discusing this mainly because of concerns i've read in other threads about the constructs looking silly or not real enough, the cgi not being good enough, the designs looking ridiculous and so on.

For me its a subject definitely worthy of discusion. How will they look and how will they move? how will/could they work onscreen? what will be the physical dynamics of these weapons?

nogap87
05-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Nice thread topic. I hope the huge weapons have a little bit of weight to them. I don't want Hal swinging giant hammers around like they are full of air.

Webhead2006
05-12-2010, 11:26 PM
i think we might have had a topic on this before that got buried somewhere. but yea there is alot of things they can go with the constructs and i cant wait to see what they have in store for us.

THE MR. TERRIFIC
05-13-2010, 10:28 AM
I know I'm gonna get flack from this but I wanna see this!

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd241/bigmike_779/GLRobot.jpg?t=1273760654

:oldrazz::oldrazz::oldrazz:

greenlantern248
05-13-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm not going to give you flack man, cause honestly I would like to see something like that too, like when he is fighting legion he creates that and goes to town on him or something

nogap87
05-13-2010, 05:23 PM
I know I'm gonna get flack from this but I wanna see this!

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd241/bigmike_779/GLRobot.jpg?t=1273760654

:oldrazz::oldrazz::oldrazz:

Speaking of robots, It would be sweet if Hal made a giant drill like Gurren Lagann. For those who don't know what that is, it's an anime that involves a giant robot that pretty much gives a big middle finger to physics.
http://i22.tinypic.com/r7naj6.gif

http://i13.tinypic.com/4r7yj6d.gif

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1874/phantmr8.gif

Note: I did not make these gifs

Mr. Earle
05-20-2010, 08:58 AM
I like this idea. Either that, or the rings should have the same voice as Ion (should they use the character).

I don't like the idea of using Hal's father for the ring's voice because it may give the impression that his father's spirit inhabits the ring, or something to that effect, which is clearly not the case.Imho, the voice should sound like Ion, the green entity.
Speaking of robots, It would be sweet if Hal made a giant drill like Gurren Lagann. For those who don't know what that is, it's an anime that involves a giant robot that pretty much gives a big middle finger to physics.
http://i22.tinypic.com/r7naj6.gif

http://i13.tinypic.com/4r7yj6d.gif

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1874/phantmr8.gif

Note: I did not make these gifsKyle is a manga fan so it would be more appropriate for him.

So anyway, a construct that i'd like to see is Batman. :hehe:
The situation is hopeless and Hal doesnt know what to do, so what does he do? He makes a Batman construct and wins the day. :hehe:

Dark Sentinel
05-20-2010, 06:50 PM
sorry for the double post and all but this, please god WB do this!

*crying with laughter*

oh and while we're on the subject how about

Dr Cox: *Whistles* Judy! I Re-heeeeeee-eally think you outta recharge your ring.

hell. YES! that would be freaking epic!

protocida
05-20-2010, 10:33 PM
The ring's voice will be Abin Sur's.

Mr. Earle
05-21-2010, 08:07 AM
The ring's voice will be Abin Sur's.Is that confirmed? Why would it have his voice? I assume that his ring was used by someone else before him. Its not like he built it.

protocida
05-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Is that confirmed? Why would it have his voice? I assume that his ring was used by someone else before him. Its not like he built it.
I believe his spirit will unhabit the ring and come to Hal's aid in a moment of need to help him learn how to control the green light.

Mr. Earle
05-21-2010, 12:26 PM
The rings have a voice and talk to the wearer the way Jarvis talks to Tony in the movies. That voice should either be a neutral voice (like the one they use for Jarvis) or the voice of a Guardian of the Universe. Preferably the former.

It cant be Abin Sur's spirit inhabiting the ring, otherwise the ring and Sinestro will be drinking coffee every now and then.

"Hey, what's up ol' chump?"
"Nothing much Sinestro. How's the daughter?"

Hal should be on his own, with the ring speaking only for delivering info like "incoming missiles" or whatever.

protocida
05-21-2010, 12:38 PM
I believe the spirit actually making its presence know is a "one of" (Just like someone's Laser Gautlets :hehe:). I do like the idea of the previous ringslinger becoming one with its ring; and the idea of the previous user of the ring becoming the voice his sucessor's ring's Artificial Inteligence is also very appealing.

We'll see how it goes. :yay:

Mr. Earle
05-21-2010, 12:41 PM
It sounds like the Matrix of Leadership from ROTF or the Force (its where all the dead Jedi's go, right?) from SW.

Webhead2006
05-21-2010, 05:12 PM
yea i rather it be a nutreul voice myself.

Wesley Dodds
07-23-2010, 08:38 PM
I have a funny feeling Morrison will do the voice of the ring as well as Abin... I don't know why. Just a hunch.

Webhead2006
07-27-2010, 03:28 AM
likely if they are going to have the rings talk.