PDA

View Full Version : Will audiences accept yellow as a weakness for the Lanterns?

Watson
07-14-2009, 04:00 PM
As all us dedicated Green Lantern fans know, yellow is to Green Lanterns as kryptonite is to Superman. The comics have done a good job of fleshing this concept out so that is believable, especially now that we know about the colour spectrum of lanterns.

That's all well and good, but for average Joe movie goer, will the yellow impurity make any sense or be believable? I worry about this because it's come up in conversation with my non-nerd friends. They heard about the Reynolds casting, and naturally they come to me, thier nerdy friend, for info. They're all on board with the GL concept UNTIL I get to the yellow flaw explanation. As soon as I try to explain it to them they think it's stupid and laugh. And I do see thier point. GL is a superhero, unless someone attacks him with a daffodil (just joking, but still).

So here's my question. What does this movie need to do to get audiences to take the leap of faith and believe that yellow is a big bad? Should the film introduce the emotional spectrum earlier then it is in the comics? Should we get hints of Parallax? I honestly don't know how it should be done, but I do think it is really important that it be explained. It could make a difference in how coherent the film is and how well audiences respond to it.

So, discuss.

PS Obviously I haven't read the script. I'm interested in what they did there but maybe keep it to tags so that the rest of us can speculate if we want.

dnno1
07-14-2009, 04:03 PM
This guy is just too powerful without some type of weakness. Either you use yellow (maybe as a joke) or the fact that you have to use a lot of willpower to command the ring to do things -- or something like that I guess. I think you might loose some of the audience if they thought that Green Lantern was too powerful.

ChickenScratch
07-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Or you don't even have to touch it. There will be a lot going on and tons for the uninitiated to absorb right out of the gate. A weakness can be mentioned maybe, but save fully addressing it for a sequel.

Webhead2006
07-14-2009, 04:15 PM
I think if the script writes it in well and in a believe way the whole yellow thing could work out and the general movie goers would understand it.

AnorexicBatman
07-14-2009, 05:06 PM
The script actually hints to the emotional spectrum. It says that a lantern's greatest weakness is the "Light of Fear" which just happens to look yellow...

They say Fear instead of yellow or as a dialog goes:
Sinestro to the Guardians: "You know that there is a more powerful light" which in turn refers to Legion/Parallax. The very physical manisfestation of fear

JAKŪ
07-14-2009, 05:10 PM
The script actually hints to the emotional spectrum. It says that a lantern's greatest weakness is the "Light of Fear" which just happens to look yellow...

Sinestro to the Guardians: "You know that there is a more powerful light" which in turn refers to Legion/Parallax. The very physical manisfestation of fear
This is actually a very good way of including the weakness.

AnorexicBatman
07-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Which is exactly how it is in the (Blackest Night) comics....

I WISH STUDIOS WOULD UNDERSTAND THAT!!!
50 YEARS OF MYTHOS MEANS SOMETHING ASSHATS!!!

hYPE
07-14-2009, 05:18 PM
This guy is just too powerful without some type of weakness. Either you use yellow (maybe as a joke) or the fact that you have to use a lot of willpower to command the ring to do things -- or something like that I guess. I think you might loose some of the audience if they thought that Green Lantern was too powerful.

That is going to be one of the ultimate questions. Most definitely the element of the rings weakness might not come across all to well, depending on if its done right.

terry78
07-14-2009, 09:16 PM
It's the same principle as people making fun of Aquaman for not having useful powers, even though he pretty much has superhuman everything. Comedians have cracked jokes about GL for a while, saying all you have to do is throw a lemon at his ass and he's screwed, or something like that.

dnno1
07-14-2009, 09:26 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/2468267766_147f0d4436.jpg

Pretty much like this.

Watson
07-14-2009, 11:50 PM

Pretty much like this.

heh heh.

Definitely prefer the way that it's explained here, but they are going to need to explain it well to make sense to the audience.

Paradox1
07-15-2009, 12:15 AM
I'm a not big fan of the GL but I've read enough DC Comics to know who they are, and what they are. I had thought the color yellow was gone from being weakness but I guess not. As a movie goer if Green Lantern is fighting somebody and they jump infront of a caution sign and his blast is deflected or whatever this movies is gonna laughed right out of theaters by critics and the average movie goer as well. There is noway you can explain that ,that would make sense. Its just a horrible horrible character flaw in the GL I say they just dismiss the whole thing and stick to a good story forget the whole yellow weakness. I can imagine there are enough powerful enemies like Sinestro, or those Robots, or Darkseid to make the battles worthwhile without them having to pull out a caution sign or hiring Mr. Burns.

By the Way I hope they please find a way to get Kilowog in the movie he's my favorite GL.

Octoberist
07-15-2009, 03:54 AM
I think there's a misconception of the 'yellow' weakness but after reading some of the comics, I completely buy it as a weakness..

MagicPrime
07-15-2009, 08:52 AM
If the embrace even the most basic premise of the emotional spectrum then they can push Fear/Yellow off as a weakness.

Even so far as an opening voice over explaining the origins of the universe.

Have a big star field with 6 stars glowing brightly in the colors of the emotional spectrum.

Doctor Jones
07-15-2009, 08:55 AM
No, the audience will laugh, unless they're creative as hell.

If we see GL run away from lemonade or stops a gold heist than that means a good laugh to the audience.

ASB&R made a hilarious point about this. And they are right if it's straight up yellow they're dealing with.

Grommers
07-15-2009, 09:38 AM
Just got to say there is different energys, green...yellow...green is weak to yellow energy and just make some space terms with it. saying that starcumbustual particles interact with us based on our will power, some take the form of yellow others green, and yellow owns green.

SlackBrian
07-15-2009, 09:52 AM
I think it'd be ok if they said the GL's were weak against the yellow light of fear, which could lead to the Sinestro Corps in future sequels, but I definitely think it would come off as ridiculous if a GL is suddenly useless around a pencil or a school bus.

dnno1
07-15-2009, 09:58 AM
If the embrace even the most basic premise of the emotional spectrum then they can push Fear/Yellow off as a weakness.

Even so far as an opening voice over explaining the origins of the universe.

Have a big star field with 6 stars glowing brightly in the colors of the emotional spectrum.

That's an intresting concept. Fear (Paralax) finds it's strength in the color yellow just as vampires find their strenght in darkness, and it would not be so much a weakness to yellow that Green Lanterns have buy being able to spot the presence of fear hiding behind the color (I am being metaphoric here). What if the ring had trouble detecting an agent of fear when he used yellow as a guise?

JeetKuneDo
07-15-2009, 10:06 AM
I'm a not big fan of the GL but I've read enough DC Comics to know who they are, and what they are. I had thought the color yellow was gone from being weakness but I guess not. As a movie goer if Green Lantern is fighting somebody and they jump infront of a caution sign and his blast is deflected or whatever this movies is gonna laughed right out of theaters by critics and the average movie goer as well. There is noway you can explain that ,that would make sense. Its just a horrible horrible character flaw in the GL I say they just dismiss the whole thing and stick to a good story forget the whole yellow weakness. I can imagine there are enough powerful enemies like Sinestro, or those Robots, or Darkseid to make the battles worthwhile without them having to pull out a caution sign or hiring Mr. Burns.

By the Way I hope they please find a way to get Kilowog in the movie he's my favorite GL.
I agree. Some things from comics just have to go. It's not all gold. Knowing the difference is key I guess.

Like with Spider-Man. They knew to get the costume right...but got rid of the webshooters. A big improvement. The comic should have done it that way. The explanation that Peter Parker is "the world's foremost expert on webbing" just sounds silly. Mighty convenient that he would achieve that just in time to build himself some webshooters, eh?

Wesley Dodds
07-15-2009, 10:09 AM
I don't see his weakness against yellow being a problem, particularly because in the script it's kind of downplayed. It's never directly referred to as Yellow. It's called the 'light of fear'... Hinting at the fact they'll bring in the emotional spectrum in later movies.

Also, now that we know Johns has worked on the script, i want them to bring in the idea that only rookies who have yet to overcome gret fear are powerless against yellow.
By the end of the movie, I want hal to overcome it. leaving him of it for future films...

Watson
07-15-2009, 10:33 AM
I agree. Some things from comics just have to go. It's not all gold. Knowing the difference is key I guess.

Like with Spider-Man. They knew to get the costume right...but got rid of the webshooters. A big improvement. The comic should have done it that way. The explanation that Peter Parker is "the world's foremost expert on webbing" just sounds silly. Mighty convenient that he would achieve that just in time to build himself some webshooters, eh?

Oh dear, lets not start that debate up :csad:.

Doctor Jones
07-15-2009, 11:01 AM
It was the right thing to do. Watson were you against it? If so, it makes logical sense.

The Guard
07-15-2009, 11:12 AM
You're asking if in a movie about a man who has a magic green ring that can create green objects...if the audience will buy that there is a yellow impurity/weakness to that power?

The script handled it just fine. I'm sure the movie will, as well. It's absurd, but so are a LOT of elements of the mythology.

terry78
07-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Watch that Brave and the Bold ep. The Eyes of Despero again. When Bats, who is powered up a GL suit(lordy) and Sinestro are captured in yellow rings by Despero, Sinestro is like, "focus your willpower...when that's done, there is nothing I...we...can't do." And they break free of them, even though they're obviously supposed to neutralize the power rings.

Doctor Jones
07-15-2009, 11:28 AM
I would do it subtly. Like they did it in the script. Don't say it outright. Just allude to it but go about it differently.

Who knows? The audience could just see the yellow light as just a weakness and not think of the yellow, they'll just think of it that nutrilizes them.

Doctor Jones
07-15-2009, 11:29 AM
I would do it subtly. Like they did it in the script. Don't say it outright. Just allude to it but go about it differently.

Who knows? The audience could just see the yellow light as just a weakness and not think of the yellow, they'll just think of it that nutrilizes them.

Watson
07-15-2009, 11:40 AM
It was the right thing to do. Watson were you against it? If so, it makes logical sense.

No, not at all. But that debate was so heated back in the day. Can't start it again :hehe:.

You're asking if in a movie about a man who has a magic green ring that can create green objects...if the audience will buy that there is a yellow impurity/weakness to that power?

The script handled it just fine. I'm sure the movie will, as well. It's absurd, but so are a LOT of elements of the mythology.

Personally I was just worried that people can suspend disbelief over the yellow thing. As shown by some examples in this thread, sometimes they can't. But I have taken a look at the script now and it looks like they did an alright job.

Paradox1
07-15-2009, 04:43 PM

Didn't they get rid of the idea that ring was magic a long time ago I thought it was built on some sci fi thing now about the guardians. Anyway people could buy it that somebody making things with their minds if they are powered by a green ring even the things he can make can't be way out there like a Giant robot, maybe even a huge fist might be a little too far just mho.

But powerless against a caution sign, he can't beat Homer Simpson is a epic failure.Most fan boys grew up reading comic books so if a hero is powerless against yellow you a kid could believe it but to ask an Adult who's never read a GL comic to believe that is absurd.I've read GL comics and I still wouldn't buy it in a film.

The Guard
07-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Didn't they get rid of the idea that ring was magic a long time ago I thought it was built on some sci fi thing now about the guardians.

It's a joke of sorts.

My point is...

We're afraid that audiences who we're already asking to buy the idea of a Power Ring won't buy into the yellow impurity?

Come on, people.

Green Lantern is an absurd concept. Its absurdities are half of what makes it so damn cool.

BojacRedleif
07-15-2009, 04:56 PM
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/7098/yellowstrip.jpg

Didn't they get rid of the idea that ring was magic a long time ago I thought it was built on some sci fi thing now about the guardians. Anyway people could buy it that somebody making things with their minds if they are powered by a green ring even the things he can make can't be way out there like a Giant robot, maybe even a huge fist might be a little too far just mho.

Alan Scott's ring was magic. (Now he's all magic) He's still around.

He's weak to wood if I recall correctly.

storyteller
07-15-2009, 07:03 PM
If the audience can accept that a man uses a physical manifestation of willpower to fight the evil of the universe. I think they can accept that the green lantern has a weakness to yellow if its actually explained.

dnno1
07-15-2009, 07:21 PM
I think that most of the general (non comic book reading public) still believe that the Green Lantern has a weakness to yellow. It's just like kryptonite to Superman and Catwoman to Batman.

Octoberist
07-15-2009, 07:43 PM
in the script, it was explained quite well!

Webhead2006
07-16-2009, 01:23 PM
well hopefully with all the rewrites it was kept in there and have a good logical reason.

Doctor Jones
07-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Even if people can believe in the concept itself doesn't mean they can believe in the weakness of yellow. That's two different things. Who says they can believe in those two? This is the general audience. They don't think like that. They don't stop and think, "Hey if I can believe in so and so I can believe in the weakness of yellow!"

But the script explains it quite well. Isn't it called the impurity or something?

terry78
07-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Maybe there are certain powers that others wield that HAPPEN to be yellow, so that effects it, but not just random yellow objects. And if they happen to infuse an object with their power, that could turn it yellow to showcase how it's been amplified to counteract the power rings.

Octoberist
07-16-2009, 01:44 PM
The yellow light is the impurity of fear from Legion.

So, just make a ring out of that, and bam, you get a ring of fear that came from it's source.

Octoberist
07-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Maybe there are certain powers that others wield that HAPPEN to be yellow, so that effects it, but not just random yellow objects. And if they happen to infuse an object with their power, that could turn it yellow to showcase how it's been amplified to counteract the power rings.

Yeah. I think my previous post explains it a little.

A yellow crayon won't be enough to defeat the Corps!

Steyin
07-16-2009, 05:48 PM
While I'm not an avid GL comic reader, can someone please sum up the spectrum in terms of whats weak against what? I already know what emotion is linked to what color, but beyond that I know nothing.

BojacRedleif
07-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Green's weak to just about everybody (kinda).
Blue is uber broken against everybody.
But everybody is weak to Black.

That's about it.

http://www.dccomics.com/sites/greenlantern/?action=corps
^This will help if you need more details.

Katsuro
07-16-2009, 11:24 PM
The yellow weakness will be fine if it's explained correctly. It's not like kryptonite, where Green Lanterns become ill in the presence of something yellow. Their rings just dont work on yellow things. It's not really much of a weakness anyways, as it's pretty easy to work around.

"What, you're wearing yellow armor? I'll just pick up this car over here and throw it at you"

Katsuro
07-16-2009, 11:24 PM
edit

Paradox1
07-17-2009, 03:57 AM
just get rid of the yellow weakness its not worth 2mins of explanation.Its not audience are too dumb to get it but it takes you out of the movie when the eventual "weakness to yellow wtf?"happens. :ss: and its not the same as kryptonite cause it emits radiation. Everyone knows radiation is bad and could kill you.There is no leap in faith when its radiation everybody understands the concept.

Octoberist
07-17-2009, 04:04 AM
read my previous post (#37).

It's done subtle enought that the General Audience won't even notice it.

Kent
07-17-2009, 06:31 AM
It's a joke of sorts.

My point is...

We're afraid that audiences who we're already asking to buy the idea of a Power Ring won't buy into the yellow impurity?

Come on, people.

Green Lantern is an absurd concept. Its absurdities are half of what makes it so damn cool.

No. Green Lantern is a far fetched concept. Yellow as a weakness is a silly concept.

There's a difference. One is "Oh, this is really hard to believe." and the other one is "Oh, this makes me want to laugh."

Like so.

Antonello Blueberry
07-17-2009, 06:47 AM
I would like if they explain that the Guardians put the yellow weakness in the battery to avoid that the Lantern became too powerful, maybe as powerful as the Guardians themselves.

Doctor Jones
07-17-2009, 09:20 AM
No. Green Lantern is a far fetched concept. Yellow as a weakness is a silly concept.

There's a difference. One is "Oh, this is really hard to believe." and the other one is "Oh, this makes me want to laugh."

Like so.

Exactly.

And I can see where people are coming form here.

The impurity is from Legion, it can be colored yellow, but if done correctly, they'll think of the impurity from Legion is the weakness and not the color yellow itself, so you can kind of disguise it there.

The Guard
07-17-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm a bit tired of people showing that picture. A Green Lantern needs to be resourceful, not just dumb enough to keep firing ineffectively at something that is yellow. There are ways around the weakness to yellow, and that's kind of the point. Green Lanterns have long had to learn to use their environment and their wits when confronted with this issue.

They're both degrees of absurd and silly, depending on the execution of the concept.

But Green Lantern is definitely an absurd concept by definition.

Based on what, exactly?

How does one believe that green light can be the most powerful weapon in the universe, but that issues with the yellow wavelength is impossibly silly?

And quite honestly, the idea being "out of left field" is pretty much half its charm. Hal's said more than once, some version of "Oh, COME ON!" when he finds out.

Ion Kenshin
07-17-2009, 12:21 PM
If broken down into the emotions I think it can be done. A GL's power is not just green light. It is willpower. Just keep equating green to will as they have done in the comics and then equate yellow to fear. Hell when a Lantern gets a ring one of the first things is says is that you have the ability to overcome fear.

Doctor Jones
07-17-2009, 05:48 PM
^ That's a good way to do it I suppose. And I'm sure they won't do straight out yellow as weakness.

M.O.Steel
07-18-2009, 05:17 PM
hold on! he is weak to the color yellow? like, literally to the color yellow? that makes no sense. how do they explain this in the comics?

i think they should use it like "green" is to superman. not literally the color, but it just so happens that everything that hurts him has a yellow hue to it.

Changeling
07-18-2009, 05:19 PM
No. Thats not it. He is a vulnerability to fear, and in the emotional spectrum, fear is the color yellow.

M.O.Steel
07-18-2009, 05:24 PM
ah ok...phew.

that makes more sense.

but does that mean he hates sun rises? and yeloow cake? and twinkies?

Watson
07-18-2009, 05:28 PM
No. Thats not it. He is a vulnerability to fear, and in the emotional spectrum, fear is the color yellow.

That's true now, but it's kind of a retcon from the recent GL stories. As far as I know when the character was first around it was just a yellow impurity in the rings. Golden Age Green Lantern (Alan Scott) was of course weak to wood.

protocida
07-18-2009, 06:02 PM
It's just say Green and Yellow block eachother.

protocida
07-18-2009, 06:07 PM
How do they explain this in the comics?
Originally, it was a problem in the Central Battery metallic league, that made the ring useless to anything yellow (Robin beat Green Lantern up putting his yellow cape over his hand).

Geoff Johns retconned it, explaining that each emotion of the emotional spectrum had a visual color representation. Parallax, the entity of fear, was yellow. The Guardians placed him inside the Central Battery so he wouldn't destroy the Universe, and, because of his presence, the rings became useless against yellow. Now, the senior Lanterns (Hal, John, Guy, Kyle, Kilowog, Salaak...) can fight yellow, and the recruits can't. However, if any Lantern feels fear, his ring will become useless against the yellow light of fear (As Parallax showed Jack T. Chance).

Webhead2006
07-18-2009, 08:19 PM
yea if they explain the whole spectrum thing it should be good.

louiebling$
07-18-2009, 08:40 PM
To be Honest I've always found this a flaw to me.. which is the very reason I didn't like GL for a Very long time (or DC for that matter) then I finally Started Collecting GL and I finally understood what his Weakness really is... its not realy the Color yellow but its Fear(Sinestro Corp) that hinders his will power.If they can make the GA understand that the GL's Power comes from their Will Power and that Fear Weakness Willpower then I think they can Grasp his Weakness and not think its just the actual color then it should be good.

Webhead2006
07-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Yea i dont see if they explain it well the GA should understand it and dont think its silly or cheesy.

Doctor Jones
07-19-2009, 11:14 AM
If they do it the way people have been talking about around here it should be fine.

Chris B
07-19-2009, 02:04 PM
What if they showed that it was still possible for the ring bearer to overcome the weakness to yellow despite the impurity? Every other GL succumbing to it while Hal is eventually able overcome it at some point could help plant the seeds of him being considered the greatest GL one day.

Webhead2006
07-19-2009, 02:04 PM
that could work.

Timstuff
07-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Sounds good to me. :up:

Paradox1
07-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Saw GL: First Flight last night which was ok, the way they explained the weakness was a lot better. In the movie it wasn't a weakness to the color yellow at all it was a weakness to a yellow crystal called yellow element. I'd prefer if the movie went with that sort of explanation. I'm not give away any of the plot for those who want to see the movie but that explanation is best to me.

Katsuro
07-20-2009, 02:19 AM
Saw GL: First Flight last night which was ok, the way they explained the weakness was a lot better. In the movie it wasn't a weakness to the color yellow at all it was a weakness to a yellow crystal called yellow element. I'd prefer if the movie went with that sort of explanation. I'm not give away any of the plot for those who want to see the movie but that explanation is best to me.

That sounds like a direct ripoff of Superman's weakness to Kryptonite. That wouldn't be good.

The comic book explanation of the weakness is fine. It only has to be brought up casually, like it is in the script, where it isn't even mentioned that it's yellow, just "the light of fear".

Paradox1
07-20-2009, 12:55 PM
That sounds like a direct ripoff of Superman's weakness to Kryptonite. That wouldn't be good.

The comic book explanation of the weakness is fine. It only has to be brought up casually, like it is in the script, where it isn't even mentioned that it's yellow, just "the light of fear".

Watch the movie before you dismiss their explanation of the weakness. The crystal itself is not their weakness it has to be turned into a weapon. The yellow element was the ying to the green element yang.The elements were just a powersource from which the GL's and Sinestro drew their power.

Ion Kenshin
07-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Let's not forget that spoiler tag button

dnno1
07-20-2009, 01:22 PM

Actually in the original story in Showcase #22, Abin Sur explained that it was a yellow impurity in the metal used to create the power battery that caused the weakness, so explaining it as a crystal or element is not that far off. Although Superman is most well known for having one, using a weakness as a plot device is a common thing in the comics. If they didn't, these characters would be just too powerful to write any intresting stories about.

Raiden
07-20-2009, 01:51 PM
If they make it so GL is vulnerable to yellow energy on the emotion spectrum, instead of just color yellow, then it could work. GL needs a weakness otherwise he'd be too powerful otherwise, but they have to do it in a way that doesn't seemed too campy.

M.O.Steel
07-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Actually in the original story in Showcase #22, Abin Sur explained that it was a yellow impurity in the metal used to create the power battery that caused the weakness, so explaining it as a crystal or element is not that far off. Although Superman is most well known for having one, using a weakness as a plot device is a common thing in the comics. If they didn't, these characters would be just too powerful to write any intresting stories about.

i understand what you are saying, but i don't think it has to be this way. if they are so powerful, they should be pitted against other powerful beings. if two individuals are fighting each other with GL rings, then the weakness is not necessary.

superman fighting brainiac or darkseid. neither one really uses krytonite. if the character is too powerful, then you pit him against something even more powerful.

Webhead2006
07-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Yea every hero needs to have a weakness, superman has kryptonite, spider-man his compasion for human life, etc......

Katsuro
07-21-2009, 01:33 AM

I'm aware there's nothing wrong with him having a weakness. It was just that the way he described it made it sound like there was some yellow rock that made Green Lanterns lose their powers or something, which is pretty much kryptonite exactly.

But i'd really prefer they stick to the current continuity of the comics as close as possible. I know a lot of people dont like Parallax, but I would like to see the movies eventually go down that path eventually, so you have to set it up so that later Parallax can be revealed to be the yellow fear entity residing in the Central Battery, which caused GL power rings to not work on things colored yellow (unless fear was overcome).

Lightning Strykez!
07-21-2009, 08:47 PM

Pretty much like this.

Holy crap. That...is effing hilarious. :p

On a more serious note, I think that audiences have been already well-conditioned to accept the fact that certain things and colors weaken superheroes. Kryptonite, the loss of Wonder Woman's belt, etc. have already been played out for decades.

The important thing here is good writing.

M.O.Steel
07-21-2009, 09:12 PM
i didn't know that fact until i came to this thread because of the new movie. and i consider myself way more of a comic book fanatic than the general population.

i didn't know it had to do with the color alone. i really think the color thing needs to be thought out. simple reaction to the color wouldn't work. there are too many things in the world that are yellow for it to be a genuine weakness.

green does not weaken superman. and this is also the first time i heard wonderwomans' belt gives her her powers.

Lightning Strykez!
07-21-2009, 09:14 PM
The TV Wonder Woman is what I was referring to M.O. Steel. Whenever the bad guys got a hold of Lynda Carter's belt, she became useless. Ditto for the magic bracelets.

Paradox1
07-21-2009, 09:38 PM
WW losing her bracelets has a sexual component that the creator of Wonder Woman had put in. I believe that weakness to has been fazed out cause of the controversy behind it.

sdc10
07-21-2009, 09:41 PM
i didn't know that fact until i came to this thread because of the new movie. and i consider myself way more of a comic book fanatic than the general population.

i didn't know it had to do with the color alone. i really think the color thing needs to be thought out. simple reaction to the color wouldn't work. there are too many things in the world that are yellow for it to be a genuine weakness.

green does not weaken superman. and this is also the first time i heard wonderwomans' belt gives her her powers.

Well thats one of the great things about Geoff John's work on GL, he actually gave a reason for the Lantern's rings not being able to affect yellow objects.

M.O.Steel
07-21-2009, 09:57 PM
The TV Wonder Woman is what I was referring to M.O. Steel. Whenever the bad guys got a hold of Lynda Carter's belt, she became useless. Ditto for the magic bracelets.

:funny: haha. my bad. I didn't know.