PDA

View Full Version : Armored GL suit planned. Do you approve?

Pages : [1] 2

Man of Tomorrow
07-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Based on the concept art, it appears the Ion-esque suit for Hal Jordan is indeed armor (akin to Batman).

Personally, I like it. Spandex could look kinda lame in comparison.

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/1631/greenlanternconcept02.jpg

Manip:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g39/doubledown44/RRasGl.jpg

What do you guys think?

Gilpesh
07-18-2009, 03:22 PM
It's a little silly, seeing as the ring is pretty much anything he wants. It's like if for the next Superman movie, they give him a suit like Batman's. His powers don't really need him to wear something like that.

Bren
07-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Don't really see the point. I'm hoping for something similar the the FF4 suits.
Won't stop me going to watch though...

Mister J
07-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Closer to Spider-Man, rather than Batman would be my preference. Full blown armor, as opposed to a stylized uniform with some 'padding/shaping', is overdone, seeing as how it's the ring that's providing the protection.

Nathan
07-18-2009, 03:37 PM
No to TDK like armor. He simply doesn't need it. He could run around in shorts and the ring would still provide all the protection he needs.

ChickenScratch
07-18-2009, 04:20 PM
The armor sucks, it makes it seem like his power is lacking in protection.

Keyser Soze
07-18-2009, 04:51 PM
There's no guarantee we'll get an armor look like what's seen above. That was merely concept art drawn by an artist no longer involved with the project.

M.O.Steel
07-18-2009, 05:06 PM
they are intergalactic police force. and that concept art looks pretty cool, doesn't look that much rubbery/artificial.

i say a compromise. not straight spandex like spiderman, but not overboard like batman begins/TDK.

Changeling
07-18-2009, 05:08 PM
I think the black parts should be spandex, and the green parts should be kinda like TDK armor.

Nathan
07-18-2009, 05:11 PM
I have nothing against it if it looks slightly padded. But no armor.

dnno1
07-18-2009, 05:16 PM
He's going to look silly in spandex. That's played out. There has to be some 3-Dimensional topography on the costume. If you would have noticed, that has been the trend since Batman 89'. We all need to stop thinking about what artists have gotten away with for the sake of time and money in the comics and start thinking more functional and outside the box for a big budget live action-film.

Spider-Vader
07-18-2009, 05:27 PM
No armor. It works for Batman because it serves as protection, but Lantern could just make a shield with his ring.

dnno1
07-18-2009, 05:37 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/NoSpandex.png

No Spandex! Leave these guys alone to design a great costume. They've certainly got the money to do so.

protocida
07-18-2009, 05:47 PM
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/5051/gl38.jpg

'Nuff said.

TheWatcher
07-18-2009, 05:52 PM
agreed

The Guard
07-18-2009, 06:00 PM
Armor? On the Emerald Knight? Noooo!

I'm fine with some kind of high-tech, ring-created pseudo-armor as long as it doesn't hinder his movement of make him look bulky.

protocida
07-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Black parts - FF spandex.
Green parts - SM padds.

Keyser Soze
07-18-2009, 06:15 PM
I think something that could work pretty well is if, for the black parts, you use plain spandex like the Fantastic Four or Spider-Man costumes, but maybe have the green parts in Reynolds' costume be motion-capture suit, then they can CG in a bright, glowing green, helping the costume look a little more alien.

JokerLedger
07-18-2009, 06:20 PM

'Nuff said.

Yup... I like th elook of the First Flight Green Lanterns. Not necessarily spandex but it does have an armored look to it that's sleek.

Nathan
07-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Just add enough armor to give it a 3 dimensional look, but very sleek looking. I really like the First Flight design. Anything more is too much.

Canadian Rider
07-18-2009, 06:28 PM
The suit can be a rubberized version like in DK with Bale. I think the armor sends the wrong message and is out of character. How exactly does he hide armor under his clothes? Suit = rubberized material = Good. Armor = Gayness

698 days and counting.

Nathan
07-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Huh? Hiding under his clothes? His ring materializes the suit.

Doctor Jones
07-18-2009, 06:42 PM
The black should be like the SM or FF costumes, the green is protected looking yet durable armor. I don't want to see a LOTR kind of armor. Just something that can make Hal control his own movement and be flexible yet still protect him.

Canadian Rider
07-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Huh? Hiding under his clothes? His ring materializes the suit.

Originally it was a suit that he wore that belonged to Abin Sur.

Showcase #22 ...

If they use that story then he has a uniform.

If they go with the suit appearing then they can do whatever they want ... but I hope they don't do armor. It's unnecessary and goofy.

:ghost:

Panthro
07-18-2009, 06:55 PM
I guess I'm okay with it so long as it retains the basic color scheme outline of the costume as seen in the comics.

M.O.Steel
07-18-2009, 06:55 PM
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg117/mosteel/greenlantern.jpg

look familiar?

Nathan
07-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Eh... looks too busy. And I've never been a fan of the fake six pack.

greenlantern248
07-18-2009, 07:57 PM
I say a combination of the two , like a lot of the posters have said, the black parts, Spiderman or even Superman Returns type spandex, and the green parts a rubber style light armor, pretty much like Green Lantern First Flight.

DannyDreg
07-18-2009, 08:00 PM
LOL! 2 pages worth of posts and we're all basically saying the same thing. I'd prefer it if that the costume is similar to FF/SM too. I really didn't have a problem with the Ion-ish looking suit from the concept art, maybe change the emblem a little.

Webhead2006
07-18-2009, 08:56 PM
well we dont really know if that armored concept stuff is going to be what is the final product of the film. They were early designs and things have problem changed alot since those ideals to know. As for the look i agree we dont need armor suit for hal/gls it doesnt serve much of a need since they got energy aura/engery shields to throw up on themselfs. I would like something in line to spider-man movie costume/fantastic four with good material/spandex-etc.... materials.

Man of Tomorrow
07-18-2009, 09:16 PM
I gotta admit the armored look made the Mortal Kombat version of the suit look so much cooler than the comics:

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/3817/greenlanternmortalkomba.jpg

But I'd be fine with the Ion suit on Hal too.

Timstuff
07-18-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm hoping we get something kind of like the MKvDCU GL suit. :up:

JackIvyGB
07-18-2009, 11:28 PM
I can't stand the DC vs MK suit. It's got armor in all the wrong places in all the wrong ways.

Also, maybe it's just personal interpretation, but I don't see armor anywhere in the concept art :huh: I just see some seam lines that contour to his muscles. I think you'd be able to tell a little more obviously if it was armor.

As for what I'd like to see, I would like a superman returns type material for the black part. For the green part, I'd want that to almost look like parts of the black suit were being illuminated. Like when he suited up, parts of the suit would blink to life like a neon light. It wouldn't be too blindingly bright, but it would glow. Enough to give him a slight aura. Not too bright to drown out the pure white light from his symbol.

Another idea I had was that his suit as a projection and extension of his ring would be responsive to him. Let's say for example, that the green illuminated areas on his suit were laid out similarly to either of the Nolan batsuits, just for a working visual example. Perhaps not as busy as TDK. At least the chest area of the BB suit.

Suppose GL is fighting someone/thing. Sinestro, whoever. During the fight, he is hit in such a way that it breaks something, maybe a rib or an arm. Well, the illuminated part over that area would slide around over it and point out exactly what had happened. If it was a rib, the appropriate rib armor plate would shift around to graphically point it out to Hal and the ring would tell him what injury he has sustained, then it would take the appropriate measures to rectify the injury for the duration of the fight, like sending more energy to that area to "pad" it up a little more.

Also, maybe Hal needs to hit something especially hard with his fist. It'd be cool to see the light energy actually travel from the symbol along seam lines or other illuminated plates to his fist, where the "hard light" would encase his lower arm and strengthen the area for the appropriate level of smack down and pwn.

I feel inspired to sketch this out...

Timstuff
07-19-2009, 01:39 AM
I think you're ideas are getting a bit too experimental... Just make the black be fabric, and the green be armor, and we should be good to go.

thebat
07-19-2009, 09:44 AM
I like it, and I'd say it's pretty faithful. And it's not real "heavy Armor"...it's pretty streamlined. Besides...He's a Galactic Space-Cop...his Costume should look like a Space Suit.

And Spandex works best in Comic Books.:cwink:

dnno1
07-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Eh... looks too busy. And I've never been a fan of the fake six pack.

You're never going to get that with spandex or lycra.

Doctor Jones
07-19-2009, 11:13 AM
I don't like that one at the top at all. It's too much like Batman.

thebat
07-19-2009, 11:16 AM
I don't like that one at the top at all. It's too much like Batman.

I agree...I like the first Picture,on page 1.

Chris B
07-19-2009, 01:55 PM
I really like the idea of the black section being a Spider-Man/Fantastic Four material while the green is a kind of rubber armor. I think that could look pretty good.

craigdbfan
07-19-2009, 01:59 PM
I really like the idea of the black section being a Spider-Man/Fantastic Four material while the green is a kind of rubber armor. I think that could look pretty good.

I had that in mind too. Hope they go with that. :up:

Not really a fan of the completely armored look to the outfit.

Webhead2006
07-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Yea like others and i said there isnt a need for hal or gl's to have armored suits with their ring/powers giving them protection against a wide range of things. I would like material wise as i said like spider-man movie costume, with maybe the green parts being a flexible kelvar like material so its a bit tougher looking without needed to be a full on armor deal.

Doctor Jones
07-19-2009, 02:33 PM
The armor has to look on the alien side a bit. It can't look like it was built by man.

dnno1
07-19-2009, 04:27 PM
The armor has to look on the alien side a bit. It can't look like it was built by man.

What do you mean by that? It would be created by the wearer's imagination. In this case he would be a man.

Doctor Jones
07-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Oh, really? Nevermind then.

SuperAl
07-19-2009, 05:16 PM
concept art was released? where?

terry78
07-19-2009, 08:22 PM
When did this place turn into the Bravo channel? :o

Seriously, he should wear hockey pads.

Octoberist
07-19-2009, 09:55 PM
it's old concept art from an artist who is no longer associated with the project.

B
07-19-2009, 10:00 PM
MK vs DC like armour: Yes

Anything similar to Batman ala The Dark Knight: No

Marlboro Man
07-19-2009, 11:30 PM
The suit should have a little texture to it. Straight-up spandex would look awful. But so would a suit akin to what was worn in "The Dark Knight." I think the concept art in the first post looks like the perfect middle ground.

storyteller
07-20-2009, 12:36 AM
In first flight the green lantern suits are not skin tight spandex. They are armor like. They have shoulder pads. I dont think the lantersn need Dark knight armor. But think underarmor covered by a suit would work.

haephestus
07-20-2009, 01:36 AM
Hopefully it will be something similar to the "Fantastic Four" suits. Their costumes are pretty much the best thing about those movies.

If they rendered the "green" parts in a different kind of material to provide a difference finish on screen ("shiny" or even metallic looking), that would also be good, but I'm not a fan of seeing "armour" on Green Lantern. If they MUST give him "armour" at some point in the film, I would prefer it to be a construct of his ring.

Cheers.

Octoberist
07-20-2009, 02:19 AM
i agree, Haephestus

CLARKY
07-20-2009, 05:01 AM
Hopefully it will be something similar to the "Fantastic Four" suits. Their costumes are pretty much the best thing about those movies.
If they rendered the "green" parts in a different kind of material to provide a difference finish on screen ("shiny" or even metallic looking), that would also be good, but I'm not a fan of seeing "armour" on Green Lantern. If they MUST give him "armour" at some point in the film, I would prefer it to be a construct of his ring.
Cheers.
I agree: the sleeker they could do the better it would be, IMO. No armor. It should be a uniform not a fight suit. The ring is here to provide defense already.
Nevertheless, I would go even further if I were the director. Do not want to be flamed but I would do something like Mystique in Xmen1 and 2. To make every construct more obvious. Having a "suit" is very terrestrial IMO, and I'm not sure all the aliens in the universe would wear "suits".
My 2 cents.

dnno1
07-20-2009, 11:21 AM
I can't stand the DC vs MK suit. It's got armor in all the wrong places in all the wrong ways.

Also, maybe it's just personal interpretation, but I don't see armor anywhere in the concept art :huh: I just see some seam lines that contour to his muscles. I think you'd be able to tell a little more obviously if it was armor...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/GreenLantern.jpg
Green Lantern Initial Concept Art
(by Brian Murray)

I don't know what the settings are on your monitor is as far as shading goes, but if you look closely at the concept art, you can see raised ribs along the front of the suit. This gives one the feel that there is some extra padding/reinforcement along the chest and torso area and, along with the raised gauntlets, give the impression that this is an armored suit possibly made of leather.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/Aromors/Gladiator_Sla1.jpg
Leather Gladiator Armor

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/Aromors/CelticArmor.png
Leather Celtic Armor

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/Aromors/Grid.jpg
Conventional Padded Bulletproof Armor

Leather armored suits do not necessarily have to be padded nor do they need to protect the entire torso or entire body. They were mainly designed to protect the the vital organs from a frontal attack since an attacker usually faces (fronts) their enemy in combat. This is a similar concept used in armored battle tanks to save weight and allow for more manuverability. Keep in mind that is is just concept art and is just notional, used for the purpose of pitching the film project. The final concept may be totally differnet from what we have seen thus far.

MK vs. DCU Green Lantern Suit

In a similar fassion, the MK vs. DCU Green Lantern suit has frontal protection (no unlike the Celtic leather armor) around the torso. You can also notice the added protection to the knees and along the sides of the upper arms. that is because in a side attack his arms will more than likely bear the bunt of the assault. Once you see GL fighting with the suit you can readilly see the functionality of the design.

wShbzzrDOeI

In this sequence from the game you can clearly see that the blows out side of clear head shots are taken to the chest and arms. The reinforcements to the knees are mainly to protect the them when he drops to the ground. Outside of the close in combat, Green Lanterns have the major advantage of fighting at distance which reduces the need for heavy armor. In conclusion, the suit is functional.

terry78
07-20-2009, 11:24 AM
I'll be straight up, if you have a power ring that can give you a costume, why wouldn't you go for armor? Even if the ring's power provides a shield against danger, you'd still feel more comfortable wearing something like that as opposed to a spandex deal.

Nathan
07-20-2009, 11:28 AM
It just depends on how much armor we're talking about. If it looks like the sketch or MKvsDCU design, that's fine. It offers protection yet is still very sleek. But if we're going into Batman territory that's already too much.

dnno1
07-20-2009, 07:39 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/Iron_lantern_cover.jpg

I guess we can all agree that we don't want this either.

Infinity9999x
07-20-2009, 07:53 PM
I think it could be cool if they made his armored suit look like it was made out of the power of his ring. Give the green and black a special effect to make it look like a kind of solid light, always kind of have a slight glow, with energy swirling around inside the suit, kind of like the effect you get when light reflects through water, those cool, kind of lazy light swirls.

THE MR. TERRIFIC
07-20-2009, 08:55 PM
I like the GL First Flight look personally.

IMAGE REMOVED

Webhead2006
07-20-2009, 11:37 PM
well the suit wouldnt need to be straight out spandex with the right material, pattern, texture it could turn out to look good and all that.

Motown Marvel
07-21-2009, 01:14 AM
boo armor. and boo that costume as depicted.

Dark Knight
07-21-2009, 02:30 PM

'Nuff said.

Agreed! Black Gloves with green gauntlets.....definitely NO white gloves!

Spider-Vader
07-21-2009, 07:54 PM
I think the First Flight & MK vs DC costumes could look pretty good on the big screen.

Lightning Strykez!
07-21-2009, 08:40 PM
An armored suit is a terrible idea--not to mention nonsensical. We've seen spandex done well in the FF and Spider-Man films...why would DC/WB feel the need to retard the creative process??

:down

dnno1
07-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Spandex didn't help change the mixed opinion of a good number of fans any. Additionally, you just gave two examples where spandex was used in a film. I could just as well cite the Batman films and "Iron Man" as examples of success with armor. I think that is neither here nor there whether or not using spandex or armor is going to make a big difference.

Lightning Strykez!
07-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Spandex didn't help change the mixed opinion of a good number of fans any. Additionally, you just gave two examples where spandex was used in a film. I could just as well cite the Batman films and "Iron Man" as examples of success with armor. I think that is neither here nor there whether or not using spandex or armor is going to make a big difference.

Meh, I disagree: we need balance in the force. TDK and IM already have armored heroes, and yes, they were big hits. I love their designs. However, I don't want to see this armor-thing become a fad, as if to say "Armor + Badass Hardcore attitude = Successful film.

They should stick to the classic look.

sdc10
07-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Meh, I disagree: we need balance in the force. TDK and IM already have armored heroes, and yes, they were big hits. I love their designs. However, I don't want to see this armor-thing become a fad, as if to say "Armor + Badass Hardcore attitude = Successful film.

They are more likely doing the armored look to "modernize" the outfits, after all running around in spandex isnt the best looking thing, even Watchmen changed their outfits and they wanted that to be pretty close to the source material (tho the book is still by far superior for that crappy movie :hehe:)

M.O.Steel
07-21-2009, 09:54 PM
but what niteowl wore i would not consider armour. ozy's was, but not what nite owl wore. it looked pretty flexible.

Doctor Jones
07-21-2009, 09:55 PM
They are more likely doing the armored look to "modernize" the outfits, after all running around in spandex isnt the best looking thing, even Watchmen changed their outfits and they wanted that to be pretty close to the source material (tho the book is still by far superior for that crappy movie :hehe:)

Wrong sir! WRONG!

sdc10
07-21-2009, 10:31 PM
but what niteowl wore i would not consider armour. ozy's was, but not what nite owl wore. it looked pretty flexible.

Ya but i mean it was a significant change from what he wore in the comic tho.

dnno1
07-21-2009, 11:03 PM

You don't stop using armored heros just be cause you already have them (and FF had an aromored hero in the Thing and an armored villian BTW). If that is what sells you keep doing it. The classic look was partly based on the state of the art at the time (the late 1950's and 1960's). Even Soldiers didn't wear armor then. Technology has progressed and today's moviegoer is smart enough to know that just wearing spandex is just not enough for a hero who has no other powers outside of a ring. The need to see something that helps them realize the he/she actually has some protection and some type of armor, even if it is just leather is consistent with that.

terry78
07-21-2009, 11:20 PM
I think the main issue is that these are basically soldiers fighting to keep peace, and wearing armor as their official uniform is technically a little more feasible, but I get why the spandex would be warranted.

Webhead2006
07-22-2009, 12:50 AM
and whos to say it has to be spandex per say. There is loads of thin/flexible materials out there.

M.O.Steel
07-22-2009, 06:37 PM
right. it's kinda weird everyone thinks it's either spandex or ironman/TDK armour. there's a HUGE middle ground.

Doctor Jones
07-22-2009, 06:59 PM
It sure as hell better not be spandex.

Reynolds could make a joke about how it gets cold in certain places.

Octoberist
07-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Spandex in the way of Spider-Man or Fantastic Four where there are texture on the suit. I think that could work well for Hal, as long as it's not distracting looking like Routh's Superman outfit.

Nathan
07-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Yeah, no hundreds of tiny Lantern symbols.

Gamma Goliath
07-22-2009, 09:06 PM
I thought that aspect of the superman costume was a complete waste of time and money.

Lightning Strykez!
07-22-2009, 09:09 PM
I thought that aspect of the superman costume was a complete waste of time and money.

It was indeed. Especially considering that most people aren't even aware of the concept because it was so...minute. :whatever:

Webhead2006
07-23-2009, 01:03 AM
Yea there was so many things i didnt like in SR suit, hopefully the GL costume folks give us something good and retain many of the classic gl suit look and is faithful.

JackIvyGB
07-23-2009, 09:36 PM
I figured it out! I want the green portions of the suit to glow the way the outfits and vehicles look in the new TRON movie! Go check it out, they just released a couple new pics from comic con, and you can see the original footage from last year's con on youtube! THAT sort of glow that isn't insanely over powering, but looks sick against the black part of the rest of the suit is perfect! It plays up the aspect of GL actually being a Lantern, a sort of positive guiding light at dark times!

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq320/JackIvyGB/img_0284.jpg

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq320/JackIvyGB/img_0289.jpg

What do you think?

Webhead2006
07-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Would be interesting but i dont think they will do that.

Timstuff
07-24-2009, 03:36 AM
If the green portions of his suit glowed it would be very distracting from his face, which would make it hard to act. If anything on his suit is going to have luminescence it should only be the white on his chest logo.

Webhead2006
07-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Yea i was just thinking that if anything is glowing besides an aura around him if he goes into space/shields his body from an attack via the film's villains making the chest logo glow in some fashion probably wouldnt be that bad.

GL FREAK
07-24-2009, 05:26 PM
Hey People this is interesting, HAS ANYONE SEEN STARWARS, play close atention to the swords effect, if they can use the effect of the swords in the suit with green light instead of blue or red, I think i would look a lot more COOL than an spandex suit. What do you :woot::bh:think people?
IMAGE REMOVED

dnno1
07-24-2009, 06:46 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/stewart3hh.gif

If they could do this with spandex, then I would go for it, but it is doubtful that it could be done.

dnno1
07-24-2009, 06:46 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/lumalive.jpg

Yd99gyE4jCk

I saw this over at YouTube a while back (almost 3 years ago). Apparently Royal Philips Electronics of the Netherlands (better known as Philips) has developed a technology (called Lumalive) where you can produce light emitting textiles. Maybe that could be used to produce the effect you show by the lightsabers.

Wally West
07-24-2009, 09:00 PM
I don't think armor is completely useless. It'd be nice to have a small measure of protection if the ring runs out of juice...granted that's an awfully weak arguement. Armor won't help much if the power runs out at 30,000 feet, much less in space.

I agree it's certainly not necessary. Even so, I'm in pretty decent shape, but if I were a green lantern I'd give myself a bit of armor as oposed to a pure spandex costume. I'd go with looking somewhat intimidating over looking somewhat silly.

sdc10
07-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Im fine with the armor outfit, after all in the comics a Lantern's outfit was whatever they wanted it to be. Im sure we will see a wide range of uniforms in the film.

Kurosawa
07-24-2009, 09:58 PM
There's been several hundred issues of concept art for GL that destroys anything these hollywood clowns could produce. Make it look like the comics costume or don't even bother.

Webhead2006
07-25-2009, 12:01 AM
like someone else pointed out before we have no real proof confirming or denying they will go for some armor look over say material like used in spidey/ff suits. plus that concept art was for an artist who is no longer on the project if i believe. I am sure they will come up with something good and honor the comics.

dark_b
07-25-2009, 09:14 AM
can someone post good GL pics from the suit? i need some inspiration. i dont like the white gloves.

Doctor Jones
07-25-2009, 09:33 AM
Make it form the comics or don't bother? Wow, that's not ignorant. Spandex would look stupid as hell on screen. Who cares about if the ring would protect him? Make it look cool and not dull to look at. He would have to spar with someone eventually. A ring isn't always gonna work.

Kurosawa
07-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Make it form the comics or don't bother? Wow, that's not ignorant. Spandex would look stupid as hell on screen. Who cares about if the ring would protect him? Make it look cool and not dull to look at. He would have to spar with someone eventually. A ring isn't always gonna work.

Yes, because the Spider-Man costume isn't the most faithful and successful adaptation of a comics suit ever. :whatever:

Fresh Prince
07-25-2009, 11:53 PM
Spandex

Fresh Prince
07-25-2009, 11:55 PM
I figured it out! I want the green portions of the suit to glow the way the outfits and vehicles look in the new TRON movie! Go check it out, they just released a couple new pics from comic con, and you can see the original footage from last year's con on youtube! THAT sort of glow that isn't insanely over powering, but looks sick against the black part of the rest of the suit is perfect! It plays up the aspect of GL actually being a Lantern, a sort of positive guiding light at dark times!

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq320/JackIvyGB/img_0284.jpg

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq320/JackIvyGB/img_0289.jpg

What do you think?

GL drives in vehicles?

M.O.Steel
07-26-2009, 12:48 AM
did you even read his post?

dnno1
07-26-2009, 10:05 AM
GL drives in vehicles?

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/GLandStarship1.png

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/GLandStarship2.png

Jordan was once given a starship by an alien race he had saved. He flew a round in it for several issues afterwards. Of course, he can always create one with his ring.

Antonello Blueberry
07-26-2009, 10:22 AM
There's a kind of Spandex that has a leathery look, they could use that.
And I'd avoid any material that sags or make wrinkles. This is supposed to be the uniform of an intergalactic police corp, probably made of green lanterns energy made solid, so it should look alien.

Doctor Jones
07-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Yes, because the Spider-Man costume isn't the most faithful and successful adaptation of a comics suit ever. :whatever:

I'm just saying don't use the spandex. Spider-Man's suit wasn't spandex at all.

Spidey really only has one suit, with GL you can do different things tot it. It's about making it look interesting and something we haven't seen before.

Antonello Blueberry
07-26-2009, 10:33 AM
A glowing suit? Like this one?
OQb1ZD9W8_c

Marx
07-26-2009, 02:17 PM
I think an armor version could be really interesting, as long as it doesn't go over board like the TDK puzzle piece suit.

dnno1
07-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Would be interesting but i dont think they will do that.

Apparently, at the SDCC, it appears that the industry is pushing 3D in their films, and that some time in the future, most if not all theatrical productions will be in 3D. What are the chances that this could happen to the GL picture?

Banshee
07-26-2009, 06:08 PM
I think it should look otherworldly. A couple of years ago, back when Johns and Pacheco took over GL, someone touched his costume and reacted to it being rather warm. I'd like it if the costume were to glow like someone sugested, but not obnoxiously. Very very subtly lit, and maybe look fluid (the green parts). The black parts could just be matted black. I'd just like to see something different. No armor or spandex, more like an alien uniform.

Motown Marvel
07-26-2009, 06:09 PM
definitely dont want armor. its pointless, and just doesnt look good. something along the material or spider-man's costume would suffice.

Doctor Jones
07-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Why is it pointless? Yeah the ring could protect him but wouldn't he get into actual physical contact? Don't count on that thing guys. This is a movie to make it more exciting.And I'm pretty sure he's gonna go head to head and get a beat down. If not here, the next one with Sinestro.

It's not exciting if the ring can protect him from anything. There has to be more to it. We can't have a GL that is invincible You have to believe in the character.

Nathan
07-26-2009, 06:17 PM
How much protection do you want the suit to offer when the ring's got no juice anymore? Enough to protect him from a few bruises? Bullet proof?

Bren
07-26-2009, 08:26 PM
I was under the impression that his suit was created by his ring - So if the ring got no juice, then no armoured suit anyway.
And if the ring had very little juice, would he be using what's left to make armoured clothing? Or a force field or something?

Again though, since he's human, his imagination might add a little armour to the suit. And a little armour wouldn't be a bad thing actually...

terry78
07-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Yeah, with him being a pilot, I would think he'd go for armor on his own because that's just what they would prefer. Though if you want to justify the spandex, have him be in huge bulkuy armor at first then have the Corps tell him that spandex is standard issue and he can't use it or something.

Gilpesh
07-26-2009, 09:07 PM
have him be in huge bulkuy armor at first then have the Corps tell him that spandex is standard issue and he can't use it or something.
Or have Kilowog still just beat the crap out of him, even though he's got on huge armor. The reason? Hal was wasting too much of his power and will on armor instead of fighting.

Nathan
07-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Pilots wear armor?

terry78
07-26-2009, 09:10 PM
^You know what I mean. The mindset of going big or not going at all...the hotshot mentality he has.

Nathan
07-26-2009, 09:14 PM
I don't know. Armor would be the last thing I'd be thinking off when I'd have that all powerful ring on my finger. I can walk through explosions, why'd I need an extra layer of armor?

terry78
07-26-2009, 09:16 PM
You don't know HOW powerful it is yet. He's gonna be skeptical even after seeing the **** he does. If someone tells me how invinicible the ring makes me, reflex will still have me constructing a protective barrier like armor or something.

Nathan
07-26-2009, 09:26 PM
It's all instinct and reflex. From the start, he won't know what the Ring is capable of, so creating extra armor won't be on the to do list anyway. Then when he gets into his first fight and is being attacked, he'll react and try to defend himself, which would with no doubt raise the barrier around him. Or something similar to the animated movie, where the ship explodes and suddenly he's hovering over a giant crater with a protective barrier. Logic would tell him that the ring protects him from all kind of harm.

I just can't imagine a scenario where he creates an armored suit once he realizes what the Ring can do. The suit will manifest when he dons the Ring based on the users subconscious. So unless he's a fan of battle armor, it'll probably turn out to be a simple form fitting uniform.

RachelDawes
07-26-2009, 09:36 PM
It's all instinct and reflex. From the start, he won't know what the Ring is capable of, so creating extra armor won't be on the to do list anyway. Then when he gets into his first fight and is being attacked, he'll react and try to defend himself, which would with no doubt raise the barrier around him. Or something similar to the animated movie, where the ship explodes and suddenly he's hovering over a giant crater with a protective barrier. Logic would tell him that the ring protects him from all kind of harm.

I just can't imagine a scenario where he creates an armored suit once he realizes what the Ring can do. The suit will manifest when he dons the Ring based on the users subconscious. So unless he's a fan of battle armor, it'll probably turn out to be a simple form fitting uniform.

Fear that the ring will lose its power or something will happen to him that will prevent him from using it? It's sensible to go into any battle with at least some backup prepared.

Nathan
07-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Depending on how much armor he has, the plan could easily backfire. He's involved in intergalactic battles mostly and fights people with energy weaponry. Unless he's got an Iron Man suit, that little armor he manifested to protect him won't do much good anyway. If he's got too much armor, it'd be difficult to move as easily without the Ring providing some juice.

Kurosawa
07-26-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm just saying don't use the spandex. Spider-Man's suit wasn't spandex at all.

Spidey really only has one suit, with GL you can do different things tot it. It's about making it look interesting and something we haven't seen before.

However it is made, it should be as close to the comics version as possible. The comics version does not have armor components. In the environments GL deals with, a few pads of Kevlar wouldn't do jack.

dnno1
07-26-2009, 11:24 PM
They will do their best to put someting out that will interest and sell to the audience, as well as exploit any new technologies or advances in special effects and cinematorgraphy that are available to them. If it means no white gloves and the use of a light armored suit, so be it for the success and interes of the film.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/Aromors/426_4605622313.jpg

It worked for Batman (and the certainly didn't keep faithful the the comic book costume), so I don't see why not keeping faithful to the comics on the costume won't work for Green Lantern.

Webhead2006
07-26-2009, 11:59 PM
well material wise they can do alot now with cloth/spandex/etc.... stuff so patterns/looks/material wise we have no clue how it could end up looking, i just hope thy dont go to extreme on the look and atless visually have the soon retain qualities/faithful to the comics, like what happened with the spider-man movie costumes.

Timstuff
07-27-2009, 12:25 AM
You want an example of armor done wrong? Here you go. ;)

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k332/Christopher_Jason/SuperPro201.jpg

Nathan
07-27-2009, 04:56 AM
It worked for Batman (and the certainly didn't keep faithful the the comic book costume), so I don't see why not keeping faithful to the comics on the costume won't work for Green Lantern.

Because Batman is a human with no powers or a Ring that protects him from harm with a mere thought. And as mentioned before, in the environment he's in, simple body armor won't do him much good anyway. He's as good as done when he faces aliens with advanced weaponry.

Doctor Jones
07-27-2009, 08:19 AM
However it is made, it should be as close to the comics version as possible. The comics version does not have armor components. In the environments GL deals with, a few pads of Kevlar wouldn't do jack.

Looks wise yeah, but you're taking it out of the comics and putting it in our world. I know you can argue this is alien technology, but it wouldn't hurt to make it look cool. It would have to make sense though. You would just think that he won't always be protected by the ring, he needs something to protect him when he goes head to head with someone. And it makes it more exciting. I just don't want to see bullets bounce off of a green shield or him throwing a big ass hand, I want to see him get the **** beat out of him. I just don't want to see him as an untouchable guy. You can't pull for someone like that. And it's instinctful, like Terry said, even if I had a ring of those powers, I still would like some protection. It's like having unlimited amounts of gun power but with no bullet proof vest.

dnno1
07-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Because Batman is a human with no powers or a Ring that protects him from harm with a mere thought. And as mentioned before, in the environment he's in, simple body armor won't do him much good anyway. He's as good as done when he faces aliens with advanced weaponry.

So you want green lantern's cosutme to look similar to this:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/Aromors/greatest-american-hero.jpg

Look the fact that the Batman films were successful prooved that staying faithful to the comics as far as the costume is irrelevant, not that it was because he has no powers. Furthermore, it is going to be dificult for the audience to make that connection unless it is obvious (this guy isn't supposed to be Superman), especially if there are scenes where he is taking a lot of abuse and groaning in pain (like it is in the comics).

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/Aromors/green-lantern.png

In closing, even my grandma could take Green Lantern without some type of armor as protection. :woot:

Nathan
07-27-2009, 11:03 AM
So you want green lantern's cosutme to look similar to this:

Could you stop the trolling? You know for a fact that there are enough movies that succesfully adapt the comic look with other fabrics without them looking either like cheap fanmade costumes or some bad TV show.

dnno1
07-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Could you stop the trolling? You know for a fact that there are enough movies that succesfully adapt the comic look with other fabrics without them looking either like cheap fanmade costumes or some bad TV show.

I'm not trolling, I'm just trying to show everyone how this whole idea of spandex is rediculous. Leave the costume designer to do what they do best. If it turns out to be armored, it was more than likely for a good reason. Nobody uses spandex anymore. If it isn't armor, it's neoprene rubber, a padded suit, or CGI.

M.O.Steel
07-27-2009, 11:52 AM
you're right, no one uses spandex, but no one is saying it should be spandex either. it's just you man. everyone is refering to the updated material like neoprene, suit, or CG. no one wants spandex in the conventional sense. it's just that they don't want a rubber suit or armour like TDK either.

Nathan
07-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Your only arguments are showing pictures of bad fanmade costumes and TV shows when we've got Movies like Spider-Man, Fantastic Four and Superman Returns that prove that you can faithfully adapt the comic designs without them looking ridiculous.

So yeah, I call it trolling.

StorminNorman
07-27-2009, 12:14 PM
The first thing I think of when I think Superman Returns is a faithful comic costume design.

M.O.Steel
07-27-2009, 12:30 PM
are you beign sarcastic?

I agree. I didn't like the colors at all, but i can't argue that it was pretty faithful to the comics.

Nathan
07-27-2009, 01:02 PM
There were minor differences in the Returns suit, I still don't get why people are so irritated by it. They act like they got the Burton suit.

dnno1
07-27-2009, 02:46 PM
you're right, no one uses spandex, but no one is saying it should be spandex either. it's just you man. everyone is refering to the updated material like neoprene, suit, or CG. no one wants spandex in the conventional sense. it's just that they don't want a rubber suit or armour like TDK either.

:huh:

What are you talking about. The poll says that 29 people have voted for spandex at the time I am writing this post, and you are saying that no one is saying it should be spandex? I am sure you mispoke, and I will give you a chance to correct yourself.

StorminNorman
07-27-2009, 02:53 PM
are you beign sarcastic?

I agree. I didn't like the colors at all, but i can't argue that it was pretty faithful to the comics.

There were minor differences in the Returns suit, I still don't get why people are so irritated by it. They act like they got the Burton suit.

Honestly I had no problem with the SR suit at all - but I remember the controversy over it quite well. I thought I might as well jump on that comment sense someone was bound to eventually :woot:

Nathan
07-27-2009, 02:59 PM

What are you talking about. The poll says that 29 people have voted for spandex at the time I am writing this post, and you are saying that no one is saying it should be spandex? I am sure you mispoke, and I will give you a chance to correct yourself.

As he said in his post, no one means spandex in the conventional sense. Most people use the word to generalize all the stretchy fabrics and materials. And you've seen enough people mention the Spider-Man and Fantastic Four movies, so don't act like everyone wants cheap spandex.

dnno1
07-27-2009, 03:10 PM
are you beign sarcastic?

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/Aromors/superman_returns.jpg

The :supes: was too small. A good number of folks called them out on that. Also some fans didn't like the idea of a leather cape nor its color, and the shoes were horrible (note that the one's he is wearing in this photo are not the ones he wore in the film).

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/Aromors/superman-12273.jpg

Those weren't minor differences because they were noticible.

M.O.Steel
07-27-2009, 03:22 PM
they are still minor in the overall schemes of things. very minor.

dnno1
07-27-2009, 03:54 PM
As he said in his post, no one means spandex in the conventional sense. Most people use the word to generalize all the stretchy fabrics and materials. And you've seen enough people mention the Spider-Man and Fantastic Four movies, so don't act like everyone wants cheap spandex.

The poll says Spandex. There are a number of posts here that have said Spandex. Don't try to water it down or sweep it under a rug by saying that nobody meant spandex. If you didn't mean that you shouldn't have voted for it.

Nathan
07-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Just stop being so anal about it.

Webhead2006
07-27-2009, 11:59 PM
Ya i have been saying be more like spidey/ff material and i think i myslf have called it spandex due to not knowing the name of the material they used, or a good range of clothing materials besides spandex, wool, cotton, leather.

Mindreaper21
07-28-2009, 12:55 AM
Spandex just gives us a live comic feel instead of a real movie feel. Superhero movies SHOULD go that extra mile with the superehero looks so that it may fit the theme. Different materials should be explored because everyone is from somewhere different and it makes no sense at all for them to all have the same type of suit. Thats the same problem with Superman, most people want that "live comic" feel, but it just doesn't work to well in a movie. GL should have a suit that looks like it's from another world like it's supposed to be.

ultimatefan
07-28-2009, 08:22 AM
It was just one concept art piece. Tons of those get made before thereīs a decision on the final suit. As for the one that got out, itīs the green part of the suit that has the more armory look, which makes sense, given that itī on the chest area. The rest of the suit could be a thick material, but not necessarily armor.

M.O.Steel
07-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Honestly I had no problem with the SR suit at all - but I remember the controversy over it quite well. I thought I might as well jump on that comment sense someone was bound to eventually :woot:

oh ok, i wasn't sure. hard to read tone over message boards.

me too, i personally wouldn't have picked the colors chosen, but overall, i have to give it to singer, the suit was very updated faithful.

M.O.Steel
07-28-2009, 10:15 AM

I didn't, and i definitely don't need a chance to correct myself. I made myself clear that even if it is called spandex, it's a general term for that material. but you are not going to listen, so no point really. because i would have said something like this...

and you would have responded with this anyways...

The poll says Spandex. There are a number of posts here that have said Spandex. Don't try to water it down or sweep it under a rug by saying that nobody meant spandex. If you didn't mean that you shouldn't have voted for it.

so why bother? you know very well no one wants a fan-made costume or a 80's TV show costume. but if you feel the need to continue arguing using those references, feel free to do so.

ultimatefan
07-28-2009, 10:15 AM
PLEASE letīs not turn this into another Superman suit debate.

Yeah, you could notice the differences, but they were not too outside what modern superhero movie costumes tend to look like. The red was a bit too dark, and stuff like that, but it overall had the basic elements. The level of argument and bashing was incredibly out of proportion. It was like he had nipples.

M.O.Steel
07-28-2009, 10:28 AM
PLEASE letīs not turn this into another Superman suit debate.

Yeah, you could notice the differences, but they were not too outside what modern superhero movie costumes tend to look like. The red was a bit too dark, and stuff like that, but it overall had the basic elements. The level of argument and bashing was incredibly out of proportion. It was like he had nipples.

it was just a couple of posts. no big deal. it's a thread about GL's costume. so it's only natural debates occasionally digressing to other superhero movie costumes.

I do agree with the rest of your post. it was way out of proportion.

ultimatefan
07-28-2009, 10:41 AM
it was just a couple of posts. no big deal. it's a thread about GL's costume. so it's only natural debates occasionally digressing to other superhero movie costumes.

I do agree with the rest of your post. it was way out of proportion.

I know, I know. Itīs just often these tangents pop out in those threads and they keep dragging for pages and pages.

M.O.Steel
07-28-2009, 10:43 AM
now i'm not for 100% spandex (or spandex like material :whatever:) but it could work...
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg117/mosteel/SuperheroMovie.jpghttp://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg117/mosteel/Superhero_Movie1_inside.jpghttp://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg117/mosteel/medium_SuperheroMovie2.jpg

i still think the green parts could be made of some harder material like rubber or something.

The Caped Knight
07-30-2009, 01:05 PM
I gotta admit the armored look made the Mortal Kombat version of the suit look so much cooler than the comics:

But I'd be fine with the Ion suit on Hal too.

I'd love to see the DC vs. MK suit . I'd prefer if the Ion suit is saved for Kyle for the sequels .

Man of Tomorrow
07-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Or they could just give Hal the traditional suit in the sequel if they want the Ion suit from the concept art now.

For the sake of marketing, toys etc, they'll likely be prompted to change the suit from film to film.

Webhead2006
07-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Ya i do hope they at least keep the classic look/pattern in the suit, and find the right materials so it looks good without being cheesy.

Octoberist
07-31-2009, 01:26 PM
yeah, it needs to have the same pattern.

Webhead2006
07-31-2009, 09:22 PM
Ya keep the basic look of the character intact, with some modifications like that gloves vs guadlets thing, to the shape/look of the lantern logo on chest, and all that. Then with the right materials like for example the material use in the spidey suits it could come out looking great.

Nivek
08-01-2009, 08:11 PM

Agreed, but i wouldn't Mind the suit to have some parts of Armore. I just want it to look like it's made of something otherworldly. Not cloth, not sculpted rubber.

Gamma Goliath
08-01-2009, 08:19 PM
I like the mortal kombat vs dcu costume imo. But the one on the first page is cool too.

Webhead2006
08-02-2009, 12:11 AM
what if around the chest area it was kelvar like material, while the rest of the suit is like spiderman movie suits?

Nivek
08-02-2009, 12:26 AM
what if around the chest area it was kelvar like material, while the rest of the suit is like spiderman movie suits?

Well, a GL doesn't need armor, do they? They have the forcefield.

darthlaney
08-02-2009, 12:36 AM
I'm not a huge GL fan, but am looking forward to the movie - correct me if I'm wrong but the ring works based on the wearers will power - more will the stronger they are - also it only works based around there awareness of what is around them - so if a bad guy gets a complete drop on them they might be in a position where they have no ring protection.

That being said - it sort of makes sense to me that some armour would be benefitial as added protection in the case where they don't have time to protect themselves with the rind or as a new comer to corp, who is just learning the ropes or isn't as powerful as he might be able to become.

darthlaney
08-02-2009, 12:42 AM
^^
With that said - the first thing I will be looking for with this character is an awesome looking suit.

I personally think the MK vs DC game costume is awesome - I'm not a purist, so if I saw this on a movie poster I would think it looked good and would get me curious in seeing the movie.

Webhead2006
08-02-2009, 03:16 AM
well ya they dont really need armor, and i am in the mindset they dont really need it. i was just throwing out another costume ideal to go for the folks who do want armor and for the folks we dont. Maybe a little of both could work out well.

M.O.Steel
08-02-2009, 09:31 AM
teh MK vs DCU suit doesn't look like armour in the traditional sense. it looks like some harder cloth material like rubber or leather. i dont' think there is anything wrong with that.

DavidTyler
08-02-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm not thinking traditional armour but rather something sleek and NOT spandex. This is the one character who that rubberized suit would work well with. I'd even like to see the emblem with a raised edge around it.

Keeping in mind that the ring creates the costume, it would probably create something that would work as protection.

I'd like to see the black areas in that same shiny material they used for Catwoman in Returns and the green areas can be the standard rubber plates. They can 'metalize' them if they like.

Keyser Soze
08-02-2009, 01:23 PM
The funny thing is, in just about every mainstream, non-geek article on the Green Lantern movie I've read since Hal was cast (at least all the ones written by women, anyway), they end with "Ryan Reynolds in skintight spandex? SOLD!" So we might have mass disappointment if he ends up wearing armor. :oldrazz:

Infinity9999x
08-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Keeping in mind that the ring creates the costume, it would probably create something that would work as protection.

You know, since the ring does create the suit, I think it would be interesting to see the suit be mostly CGI. Kind of do an Iron Man thing, have a base suit that the actor wears, but go back in post-production and create a good amount of the suit with CGI.

StanLee Wannabe
08-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Wow. This thread is a bit crazy. I guess most of you aren't costumers or you'd know that there are lots of different weights and textures to spandex. Moleskin is spandex that is thick enough to have a good weight and shadow to it.

Obviously Kyle's suit in the comics has pieces of armor (the gauntlets and knee shields) that the ring creates. He also uses ring constructs as his primary shields. Whether the force shield around the GLs is an automatic thing or whether the GLs choose for it to be around them really has no bearing on the costume issue for me. Why? Because the costume is whatever the GL wearing it wants it to be.

Yes, Spiderman's costume WAS spandex (whoever said that, I'm sorry to burst your bubble - well maybe lycra to be uber-technical) and it looked great.

This brings up the whole "do we stay true to the comics and risk geek hatred or can we do something new and have it still be cool" debate. Obviously the comics and the movies are different. Favreau (and others before him) have shown that you can veer off the comics a bit and still have a fun, kick-ass movie with the character you love...just told a little differently.

As for my personal choice, stick with something skin-tight. Maybe rubberized, maybe spandex with a nice texture. I wouldnt mind a little plating on it if they feel that makes the whole thing a bit more realistic or sophisticated. As long as it looks like a uniform / space-worthy outfit. Dont kill it with a thousand symbols and dont be afraid to use white (gloves / symbol).

Webhead2006
08-02-2009, 11:44 PM
good points man.

Mindreaper21
08-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Spiderman's suit worked better for him because he's an acrobat. GL's suit needs to be thick, something like the X-men attire. Considering the power of the rings, the movie would not be as enjoyable nor as believable watching an epic battle where the hero is wearing "indestructable spandex". Though if GL wore a X-men-like suit and it started tearing, then I would know just how rough the battle is.

Webhead2006
08-03-2009, 12:03 AM
well xmen suits were black leather deals i wouldnt want to see gl in a leather outfit. I rather go with spidey look over leather.

Mindreaper21
08-03-2009, 12:10 AM
It doesn't have to be leather, thats why I said "something like" X-men suits. I just want the suit to look thick. If muscle definition is the issue with some people, the same concept used for Spiderman's suit can be used, with those "muscle pads" inside of the suit (I don't really know what to call them, but if you've seen them, then you know what I mean).

Octoberist
08-03-2009, 02:55 AM
no way to leather. Leather does not looks good especially if you want to see details in the suit.

PIBagent
08-03-2009, 03:40 AM
the armor is good for him you can see it as a suped up Space Suit. it will protect him when the ring or the guardians cant he's not superman you know.:brucebat:

dnno1
08-03-2009, 09:12 AM
no way to leather. Leather does not looks good especially if you want to see details in the suit.

Did you know you could do this with leather?

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/Aromors/ah6071L.jpg
Roman Muscle Armor

And as far as details:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/Aromors/1.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/Aromors/ixongalacticablkwhtgrn.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/Aromors/ixongalacticablkgreywhtsil.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/Aromors/forza-suit.jpg

what kind of details do you want?

dnno1
08-03-2009, 09:48 AM
... Yes, Spiderman's costume WAS spandex (whoever said that, I'm sorry to burst your bubble - well maybe lycra to be uber-technical) and it looked great...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/Aromors/image1copy.jpg
Replica of Spider-Man Costume
(by Yuri Schuurkes)

Yes, it was spandex, with rubber detailing and airbrushed musculature (and Lycra is just a trademark name for the same fabric), but a lot of the action scenes were done using CGI, so that went unnoticed.

... This brings up the whole "do we stay true to the comics and risk geek hatred or can we do something new and have it still be cool" debate. Obviously the comics and the movies are different. Favreau (and others before him) have shown that you can veer off the comics a bit and still have a fun, kick-ass movie with the character you love...just told a little differently...

The answer should be to go with what the masses will buy. The geek community is just a smaller subset, and they have learned to accept changes in the past (like Batman, X-Men, The Punisher, et. al). You have pretty much answered that question in your second statement.

Brian Braddock
08-04-2009, 07:06 AM
I guess what we've got to wait for is just how armoured the costume actually is. Storywise, Hal woudnt actually need armour due to the protection provided by the ring so we're probably only talking about aesthetic aspects that the designer will decide to throw in there to make the costume look more visually appealing (I certainly hope they dont go too bulky though).

I'm more concerned about the mask at this moment in time - has it been confirmed whether we would be able to see Hal's eyes when he's got the mask on or are they gonna go all-white like in the comics?

I've knocked up a quick comparison sketch while on my lunch break - one with eyes and one without;

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/SUPERBENITEZ/scan0002-2.jpg

I gotta say, in this instance, I'd prefer to be able to see Hal's eyes during the movie. I dunno, it's just that amidst all the exotic inter-stellar settings and weirdly wonderous aliens, it would be nice to still see the humanity and emotion in Reynolds eyes.

terry78
08-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Spandex only really works when the character is kind of lean. Spider-Man is one of the skinniest mother****ers in the Marvel Universe, even moreso than some of the women. Jordan is a big dude.

Brian Braddock
08-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Hmmm, I dont know about that - I mean,personally, I always preferred the way the likes of Gil Kane (argueably the quitessential GL artist), Alan Davis and Carlos Pacheco have drawn Hal. He's well built certainly, but not the biggest of guys in terms of muscle mass.

WE've got the same kind of deal in Reynolds.

Webhead2006
08-04-2009, 02:55 PM
ya i wouldnt mind if we see his eyes in the mask, and when he is powered up maybe they have a green aura/glow to them.

CLARKY
08-06-2009, 09:37 AM
GL's suit needs to be thick, something like the X-men attire. Considering the power of the rings, the movie would not be as enjoyable nor as believable watching an epic battle where the hero is wearing "indestructable spandex". Though if GL wore a X-men-like suit and it started tearing, then I would know just how rough the battle is.
I completely disagree, on the contrary, I find the idea of the "indestructable spandex" quite neat ! Not believable ? This is alien suit (or uniform, or whatever it is), so I think it works fine. I do not think the guardians let every corps men decide what suit he would like, it is all the same, more or less, and I think it would be pretty bad to see Kilowog or Salaak in a suit like X-Men.
On the contrary, the last thing I want is something "believable". Green power ring, pink skinned villain, blue powerful dwarfs, living planet, power batterie, ... hardly believable things.
I really disagree with your comment, no offense, but I think it is necessary to see non-human things.
Besides, a "spandex" can be torn apart too.

Chris B
08-06-2009, 05:00 PM
This is somewhat off topic, but I'm really curious about how they'll handle the whole bodily aura/glow effect that GL's are always drawn with. For some reason I've just always had a hard time imagining that in live-action. Maybe something similar to the Phoenix effect that Jean Grey had at the end of X2 could work?

Mindreaper21
08-06-2009, 06:45 PM
I completely disagree, on the contrary, I find the idea of the "indestructable spandex" quite neat ! Not believable ? This is alien suit (or uniform, or whatever it is), so I think it works fine. I do not think the guardians let every corps men decide what suit he would like, it is all the same, more or less, and I think it would be pretty bad to see Kilowog or Salaak in a suit like X-Men.
On the contrary, the last thing I want is something "believable". Green power ring, pink skinned villain, blue powerful dwarfs, living planet, power batterie, ... hardly believable things.
I really disagree with your comment, no offense, but I think it is necessary to see non-human things.
Besides, a "spandex" can be torn apart too.

No offense taken, yet I stick with my opinoin...When I said "believable" you seemed to have confused it with "realistic". Of course a pink skinned villain etc. isn't "realistic", but when I think of movies like "Alien", it could be "believable". The "spandex" is just too close to the "comic look", where as I feel that in a movie things such as the suit should be even better. Just like in the Batman movies, there are different variatons of the suits other than the suit from the comic books, which gives everyone a choice of which look they like the most. So I would like the same to be done for GL.

Gilpesh
08-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Though if GL wore a X-men-like suit and it started tearing, then I would know just how rough the battle is.

If a thick suit was torn, then you would know the battle was rough.

What's with this tearing fetish?

You can know a battle is rough.... because the hero gets his ass kicked.

Wesley Dodds
08-06-2009, 07:01 PM

Hahaha!

Hear that, everyone? It's the sound of common sense prevailing.

Mindreaper21
08-06-2009, 07:01 PM

Lol, sorry I did mention it twice :oldrazz:...will edit.

Gilpesh
08-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Hahaha!

Hear that, everyone? It's the sound of common sense prevailing.
Well. When the hero has a super powerful ring that does almost everything he can will it to... and he's getting his ass kicked.

Brian Braddock
08-07-2009, 07:12 AM
This is somewhat off topic, but I'm really curious about how they'll handle the whole bodily aura/glow effect that GL's are always drawn with. For some reason I've just always had a hard time imagining that in live-action. Maybe something similar to the Phoenix effect that Jean Grey had at the end of X2 could work?

Something like Dr Manhattan's aura in Watchmen would work fine.

Although, much like the earlier idea of the white/green eyes effect only happening when Hal's uses the ring, I'd like to see the aura only employed in the same way; i.e. not when the ring is inactive.

Webhead2006
08-08-2009, 12:23 AM
I agree with that braddock, not having it all the time would be good, and they wouldnt be wasting x number of dollars for cgi.

StanLee Wannabe
08-08-2009, 08:49 AM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/Aromors/image1copy.jpg
Replica of Spider-Man Costume
(by Yuri Schuurkes)

Yes, it was spandex, with rubber detailing and airbrushed musculature (and Lycra is just a trademark name for the same fabric), but a lot of the action scenes were done using CGI, so that went unnoticed.

The answer should be to go with what the masses will buy. The geek community is just a smaller subset, and they have learned to accept changes in the past (like Batman, X-Men, The Punisher, et. al). You have pretty much answered that question in your second statement.

LOL Yes. I know Lycra is a trademark name, I wasn't saying they were different...saying that the actual costume was done with a particular brand. (I've spoken with Yuri before lol and Brad, and spidersuitmaker and I've made several of my own)

To the person that said Spidey's costume only worked because he's an acrobat, uhm you do realize GL tussles with people mid-air and whips around flying and generally is at least semi-acrobatic? I don't disagree that the use of the suit and the look should match for "realism" (we all know what comic-book movie realism is...not quite real, but less fantasy than the comic-books themselves). But that still doesnt rule out spandex for someone who has drag while flying. (Of course you could say the ring surrounds him whatever he's wearing so there is no drag, but we could keep arguing that ;) )

X-men leather would be terrible to me. It's an attempt to look like a cool motorcycle guy. ZOMG! Uhm no. Yes, DavidYr1 does great stuff with his Batman motorcycle leathers, but unless it's mostly skin tight with a bit of leather armor pieces (which tell me why that would be better than hard-shell armor bits?) I wont like it. It's tryyyyying too hard to look cool, in my opinion.

I say thick, rubberized, skin tight suit/ mix of black, green and white, with a glowing green-white symbol on the chest, and if you have to do "armor" some stuff on the knee/shin and some stuff around the midsection. "Realistic" gloves and boots. Of course the comic-style mask.

But that's just me.

Chris B
08-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Something like Dr Manhattan's aura in Watchmen would work fine.

Although, much like the earlier idea of the white/green eyes effect only happening when Hal's uses the ring, I'd like to see the aura only employed in the same way; i.e. not when the ring is inactive.

That could work. My biggest concern is just that it could look really out of place if they don't do it right. Part of the solution I think is that when the aura is in affect, Hal's skin and the black parts of the suit should have a very slight green glow to them.

Another solution could be just to have the green parts of the suit literally glow. Giving the impression that's where the aura is being emitted from.

I also agree that it should only appear when the ring is in use.

AnorexicBatman
08-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Armored suit with talking weapon/interface?
Tony Stark should sue! :cwink:

Steelsheen
08-08-2009, 02:40 PM
I think the black parts should be spandex, and the green parts should be kinda like TDK armor.

cosigned :up:

Octoberist
08-08-2009, 02:48 PM
that's not..a bad idea actually!

BULLITT
08-09-2009, 04:29 PM
It's Green Lantern, not Iron Man.

StanLee Wannabe
08-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Agreed, but you're going to have to come to grips with the fact that filmmakers change stuff to "make comics work on screen". Favreau did it and it worked.

It's not totally unbelievable that a uniform for spaceflight would have some armored parts. You'll probably get that.

Nathan
08-10-2009, 08:02 AM
The Uniform isn't made for spaceflight. It's just that, a Uniform.

GreenKToo
08-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Maybe have armor on his forearms, like from his elbow to his wrist, and have it from his knees to his ankles. Anymore than that would be overkill IMO.

Webhead2006
08-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Ya hopefully who ever the costume designer is, will make a suit us fans will like and not ***** about like SR's superman suit. I do hope it retains alot of faithful elements from the comics like the spider-man movie suits did.

dark_b
08-10-2009, 02:52 PM
i have a feeling that they will do a good suit.

ultimatefan
08-10-2009, 03:03 PM
I donīt think they will put him in a stiff rubber armor or a metal one, but I suspect it wonīt be purely Spider-Man-style either, probably a middle ground.

Webhead2006
08-10-2009, 03:20 PM
I could see that happening too some middle ground. Man i cant wait for the first on set peak on the suit or first official still image from it. Hopefully they wont make the same mistake with first official pic release like SR's first pic was horrible.

Brian Braddock
08-11-2009, 07:17 AM
Let's face it - there's going to be *****ing and moaning about the suit from some quarters on here no matter how good it looks.

I guess some people are just like that; they think it's cooler to moan and hate the world than it is to offer praise and be hopefull.

MagicPrime
08-11-2009, 08:23 AM
I will never understand people that want to see spandex on screen.

I want a black undersuit that can be skin tight, but the green should be thicker padding/armor.

Pretty much the First Flight uniforms made for live action.

Antonello Blueberry
08-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Let's face it - there's going to be *****ing and moaning about the suit from some quarters on here no matter how good it looks.

I guess some people are just like that; they think it's cooler to moan and hate the world than it is to offer praise and be hopefull.
I don't know, the Spider-man suit made most everyone happy and very few complained about the Fantastic Four ones (save for the Thing).

terry78
08-11-2009, 12:26 PM
The only character that should be in skintight spandex on screen is Black Cat.

Webhead2006
08-11-2009, 05:51 PM
true that and a sexy figured gal in it lol.

CLARKY
08-12-2009, 03:51 AM
I will never understand people that want to see spandex on screen.
I want a black undersuit that can be skin tight, but the green should be thicker padding/armor.
Pretty much the First Flight uniforms made for live action.
I have no problem with spandex, especially for GL. It is a uniform, it is not a suit like we have on earth.
I think the spiderman suit would be something good, far from what I would personally do, but i think it would be good to have the black parts like the blue ones on the spider suit, and the green ones a little bit more thick like the red parts of the Spider suit.

Octoberist
08-12-2009, 05:16 AM
as long as it's good looking, I don't care.

Octoberist
08-12-2009, 05:16 AM

BigSams50
08-12-2009, 02:39 PM

agreed

Webhead2006
08-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Hopefully we will know soon enough on what their costume designer decided to go with. And hopefully it looks good on screen and in stills.

Antonello Blueberry
08-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Soon? Not before next year ComicCon probably.

Octoberist
08-13-2009, 04:17 AM
I think we'll get a look by Spring of next year for sure. Like March. I'm hoping sooner.

Ace of Knaves
08-13-2009, 06:41 AM
They should do it like the Final Flight suits.

Don't the suits come from the ring bearers imagination though? Maybe a flight jump suit motif too.

dark_b
08-13-2009, 08:05 AM
you can brake the boring tight suit with some interesting pattern. it doesnt have to look like armor but some lines that go around muscles can make it more interesting.

i still think white gloves are to bright for a suit that has black . the contrast is IMO to big. from dark to pure white. plus for lighting its also to bright.

but i will whait.

Nathan
08-13-2009, 08:16 AM
The white gloves never made sense to me. They're the one part that I don't want to see in the Movie.

Ace of Knaves
08-13-2009, 08:32 AM
What about black sleeves and gloves, but a white or green cuff? That would look cool.

Doctor Jones
08-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Colors have to contrast nicely as well and how it comes to photographing them. Will a very black and green suit work with white gloves? I don't want to see them.

Octoberist
08-14-2009, 04:58 AM
as long as it looks 'superheroish' it should be okay. But if it looks like a militarty uniform and loses it's colorfulness, then I would be dissapointed.

Brian Braddock
08-14-2009, 07:14 AM
What if the white aspects of the costume were turned silver?

Would people be for that or would such a change be universally disliked?

Nathan
08-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Just green and black is fine.

Evil Twin
08-24-2009, 12:36 PM
The white gloves are there to make the ring "pop" visually. Obviously, what looks best on film may be different than what looks best on paper, but I'd say making GL's ring stand out is one of the things you want to emphasize visually.

Ace of Knaves
08-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Well I think a glowing green ring would stand out more against a black background rather than a white one.

So I reckon black gloves like in First Flight.

Webhead2006
08-24-2009, 02:01 PM
I still say it would be great if they can work both into the film some how.

solidsnake86
08-24-2009, 04:05 PM
I don't know, the Spider-man suit made most everyone happy and very few complained about the Fantastic Four ones (save for the Thing).

Really, I seem to remember people complaining about the raised webbing (which is extremely nit-picky). Its going to be really interesting to see which way they go with this costume.

dnno1
08-24-2009, 04:25 PM
I have no problem with spandex, especially for GL. It is a uniform, it is not a suit like we have on earth.
I think the spiderman suit would be something good, far from what I would personally do, but i think it would be good to have the black parts like the blue ones on the spider suit, and the green ones a little bit more thick like the red parts of the Spider suit.

They should do it like the Final Flight suits.

Don't the suits come from the ring bearers imagination though? Maybe a flight jump suit motif too.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/green_lantern.jpg

How about this one I found on the Internet?

The only character that should be in skintight spandex on screen is Black Cat.

And Power Girl.

SPider-T0rch
08-24-2009, 04:57 PM

How about this one I found on the Internet?

You know, that doesn't look bad at all. I can see that working onscreen. The only thing I'm not too fond of is the symbol and, to me, the rib armor plates seem to be like overkill on the whole armored motif.

TheWatcher
08-24-2009, 07:07 PM
yeah the symbol looks like green sinestro corps,besides that its awesome!!!!!

dnno1
08-24-2009, 11:23 PM
You know, that doesn't look bad at all. I can see that working onscreen. The only thing I'm not too fond of is the symbol and, to me, the rib armor plates seem to be like overkill on the whole armored motif.

Yeah, that's the wrong insignia.

Gilpesh
08-24-2009, 11:25 PM
edit.

Blah

Webhead2006
08-24-2009, 11:27 PM
well that had nothing to do with gl.

Nightwing 52
08-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Green Lantern producer says, "We like the Dark Knight suit." (http://nwo-ville.myminicity.com/)
The link doesn't lead you to the producer's words when you click it.

Doctor Jones
08-25-2009, 10:17 AM
I hope they don't use something like that. That's too much.

Nathan
08-25-2009, 10:20 AM
The armor should be a little more subtle. That design is too TDK.

Doctor Jones
08-25-2009, 11:59 AM
It should be much less than that. it can work because batman works at night. GL shouldn't have that much armor is he has any. I could jsut see his chest and shoulders and wrists, but not overly bulky.

MagicPrime
08-25-2009, 12:56 PM
I think the sketch on the previous page is a perfect example of what kind of look they should go for in the movie.

If its spandex (or even spider-man material) I will cry.

A mesh or spandex suit is fine for the under part of the suit, but the green parts should be thicker plates.

MagicPrime
08-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Green Lantern's Shouldn't wear armor eh?

Tell that to Alan Scott!

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii219/Darth_Andrea/alanscottarmor.jpg

I kid, I kid.

BigSams50
09-29-2009, 10:56 AM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/Iron_lantern_cover.jpg

I guess we can all agree that we don't want this either.
http://i35.tinypic.com/bv1af.jpg
:woot:

Brian Braddock
09-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Ha. :up:

Tony's infamous 'St Patrick Day' armour.

Webhead2006
09-29-2009, 01:58 PM
haha

Brian Braddock
09-29-2009, 02:07 PM
That does look interesting though - makes me wonder what the armour would look like in other colours, such as blue, yellow, purple etc..................

terry78
09-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Pink.

NefCanuck
09-29-2009, 03:18 PM
After seeing all the discussion and the various designs I would have to say in my opinion of all the options presented that a 100% spandex skin tight suit is dead last on my list.

I'd prefer something in the MK v DCU or GL: First Flight vein, but I'm torn about whether I would want white gloves or black. Both would make the ring pop visually, but for different reasons though...

NefCanuck

Octoberist
09-29-2009, 03:30 PM
i think the white can work. call me crazy. The white gloves never looked bad to me.

Webhead2006
09-29-2009, 03:32 PM
me neither octoberist.

Jumpin' Jack
09-29-2009, 03:38 PM
well why need armor ? If Hal jordan is a pilot they have to be fit so why need armor ?

storyteller
09-29-2009, 11:28 PM
I think a misconception is that when people say "spandex" they don't actually mean spandex. They mean the material used fro Spider-man and Fantastic four. Which was not spandex but neoprene(?) enhanced with muscle suits. Also these suits were designed with texture so that further added. Even Batman Begins used neoprene as well.

"Armor" is simply adding more layers of Neoprene and Latex. They may want to armor look simply to take into account that skin tight may not work across the board. For instance Sinestro actor may not be a muscle bound man. The armor may even the playing field visually so to speak.

The Kryptonian
10-04-2009, 07:14 PM
No armor, please. Anything but armored suits.

Octoberist
10-05-2009, 02:02 AM
I think a misconception is that when people say "spandex" they don't actually mean spandex. They mean the material used fro Spider-man and Fantastic four. Which was not spandex but neoprene(?) enhanced with muscle suits. Also these suits were designed with texture so that further added. Even Batman Begins used neoprene as well.

"Armor" is simply adding more layers of Neoprene and Latex. They may want to armor look simply to take into account that skin tight may not work across the board. For instance Sinestro actor may not be a muscle bound man. The armor may even the playing field visually so to speak.

amen to that.

Ace of Knaves
10-05-2009, 03:45 AM
First Flight suit is perfect. And I think black gloves is better. The contrast between black and green is greater than white and green.

The ring would just stand out more glowing emerald against his black gloves. With maybe green bands around his wrist.

BojacRedleif
10-05-2009, 09:25 AM

LOL Sinestro Corps Fail. I like the suit though.

BigSams50
10-05-2009, 12:46 PM
^hahahahaha

Octoberist
10-05-2009, 01:10 PM
why is he so fat?