PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Reynolds Says 'There's No Rule' Against Playing Deadpool And Green Lantern

JDym
07-22-2009, 09:56 AM
my apologies if this topic isnt appropriate for this board.

via splashpage:

Ryan Reynolds (http://splashpage.mtv.com/tag/ryan-reynolds) might not be the first actor to play both DC and Marvel Comics characters (http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/07/15/deadpool-is-green-lantern-here-are-five-actors-who-played-both-marvel-dc-characters/) in theaters by the time he finishes work on "Green Lantern (http://splashpage.mtv.com/tag/green-lantern)," but he might be the most tightly scheduled, depending on how the film's shooting calendar matches up with the "Deadpool (http://splashpage.mtv.com/tag/deadpool)" production schedule. Starring in two competing films in 2011 (http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/07/13/what-does-ryan-reynolds-green-lantern-role-mean-for-deadpool-movie/) doesn't seem to faze Reynolds, however, least of all because the properties come from opposites sides of comics' Big Two publishers.
"There's no rule that says you can't play two different characters in two different comic-book universes," Reynolds told Entertainment Weekly. Deadpool co-creator Rob Liefeld (http://splashpage.mtv.com/tag/rob-liefeld) pointed out Reynolds' comment on his Twitter (http://twitpic.com/at370) site.
DC and Marvel's practices of scooping up A-list comics creators for exclusive contracts has not yet infiltrated their film production strategies, so Reynolds is completely in the right for now. In fact, if all goes as planned, he could be the first actor we see appearing on talk shows to promote two comic book movies at once -- which would make for quite a publicity tour.
And the "Van Wilder" star may want more when it's all over with, according to the article. Comic book properties seem to be whetting his appetite.
"There are so many interesting comic book characters out there," Reynolds said. "I would love to do others."

dnno1
07-22-2009, 10:09 AM
"There's no rule that says you can't play two different characters in two different comic-book universes"...

...unless it's written in your contract. That's what kept Pierce Brosnan from becoming James Bond way back in the 1980's. Instead he had to wait until he was finshed with his obligations to NBC and "Remington Steele" before he became Bond in the 1990's.

CLARKY
07-22-2009, 10:43 AM
If he says so, then let's think so too .....
Come on the guy was soooooooo Flash few months ago, now he is soooooooooooo GL. What is it ? GL ? Flash ? GL ? Flash ? He would be good as Aquaman too, let vote R.Reynolds for Aquaman, Yey !

rdh007
07-22-2009, 11:10 AM
...unless it's written in your contract. That's what kept Pierce Brosnan from becoming James Bond way back in the 1980's. Instead he had to wait until he was finshed with his obligations to NBC and "Remington Steele" before he became Bond in the 1990's.

I'd be very surprised if there isn't something like that in his GL contract. Though he presumably had read the contract before he said this.

Grommers
07-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Ryan Reynolds is...

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE!

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/2709/ryanreynoldsf.jpg

dnno1
07-22-2009, 01:29 PM
I'd be very surprised if there isn't something like that in his GL contract. Though he presumably had read the contract before he said this.

Sure, he can play Deadpool... after he is done with the Green Lantern franchise. :woot:

FlawlessVictory
07-22-2009, 01:31 PM
:pal:

Ziggyman
07-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Hahaha...!

Karelia
07-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Honestly, Green Lantern and Deadpool is enough. I hope he doesn't try to do any other super-hero movies. But as I said before, GL will most likely be a trilogy and fill up alot of his time. RR is a great actor,(one of my favorites), but I just don't think people would be crazy about him being any other heroes. :D

Green Lantern is my favorite DC, and Deadpool is my favorite Marvel. I'm glad RR is going to be Hal and Wade. I'm pretty positive he's going to pull Hal off well.:grin: But time will tell...

Deadpool7
07-22-2009, 03:07 PM
I see no problem with it. In Deadpool, he'll likely have facial scarring and hopefully a mask so the recognition that "hey, it's hal jordan", should be minimal. Two different characters in two different movies.

JDym
07-22-2009, 03:12 PM
I see no problem with it. In Deadpool, he'll likely have facial scarring and hopefully a mask so the recognition that "hey, it's hal jordan", should be minimal. Two different characters in two different movies.

On top of that, DP and GL are vastly different characters in regards to their story arch. I think it's fine. I just don't see a Deadpool movie coming out anytime soon

Changeling
07-22-2009, 03:12 PM
If he says so, then let's think so too .....
Come on the guy was soooooooo Flash few months ago, now he is soooooooooooo GL. What is it ? GL ? Flash ? GL ? Flash ? He would be good as Aquaman too, let vote R.Reynolds for Aquaman, Yey !

:whatever:

Raiden
07-22-2009, 04:59 PM

Yeah, I think having Reynolds behind the mask in Deadpool would actually make it easier for him to star in two different superhero movies at once. At least audience won't be able to see his face in DP most of the time so in a way, he won't get over-exposed.

Webhead2006
07-23-2009, 12:50 AM
Yea this was talked about a few days ago if i recall, it will be interesting to see if deadpool actually ends up happening or not.

Philly Phanboy
07-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Is he actually signed for Deadpool or is it just assumed that he'd get the role back? Knowing Fox I'd be surprised if he was allowed to keep the part now.

dnno1
07-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Deadpool still needs a director, and I question if the current writers are competent enough to produce a working script for that film. The last time I saw the creators of a comic book character write and produce a film we got "Tank Girl" and you know how great that was. Until something really positive happens, Deadpool is just that.

Webhead2006
07-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Yea untill the studio gets a director, a finished script, a release date, and cameras are actually rolling who knows if deadpool will happen. Heck between now and then wb could force ryan into a contract deal where he cant play competting hero characters while doing gl for wb.

Grommers
07-23-2009, 02:58 PM
I wonder who he prefers, dead pool or GL

RachelDawes
07-23-2009, 03:11 PM
^Probably Deadpool. I've heard he's a huge fan of the character.

Octoberist
07-23-2009, 03:18 PM
I also think that Ryan has a geek mind, so he'll do his Lantern search quickly and know the character well enough that he too will love it. Maybe not as much as Deadpool though.

Webhead2006
07-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Yea that would be a smart move to help understand the character better to reseach and see why its such a loved character. Which i am sure he is picking up alot of hal jordan materials from dc/on his own.

bulletbillx
07-24-2009, 01:19 AM

yeah. between the scarred face and the mask, you shouldn't be able to really recognize him.

MagicPrime
07-29-2009, 01:30 AM
He'd be a fool to choose Deadpool over GL if the choice had to be made.

He could be the main character in a one-shot spinoff of a spinoff (which is what Deadpool would be) Or he can be the headline star in a brand new franchise that could explode like the new Batman movies.

BULLITT
08-09-2009, 04:35 PM
If he can pull them off, then more power to him.

SuperFerret
08-09-2009, 04:48 PM
He's already played Deadpool on film though, so even if he doesn't ever return to the character, he still played both Deadpool and Green Lantern.

cerealkiller182
08-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Ryan Reynolds isnt going to stop making movies after and between green lantern flicks. No reason Deadpool cant be one of them.

Webhead2006
08-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Well yea its possible he could still do deadpool after he is finished with GL1. though it all counts on if it can get into development really, he likes the script and isnt boggled down with any other roles. Or if wb doesnt slap him into an agreement to not do any marvel films while he is currently onboard with gl films.

JeetKuneDo
08-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Hugh Jackman was both Wolverine and Van Helsing and I thought he pulled it off. I think RR has more acting talent than HJ personally.

And also, Ian McKellen was both Magneto and Gandolf with no problem.

Sticking with the X-Men theme, Patrick Stewart was both Prof X and Capt Picard.

Not all "super heroes" per se, but similar characters in the nerd universe.

Webhead2006
08-10-2009, 11:11 PM
true their but its all about whats in his contract with both wb and marvel/fox and then if he likes the script or passes on it and all that. Sure i hope he does both and they are sucesses but we will just have to see if deadpool actually gets off the ground, heck fox is still trying to get that magneto film off the ground past few yrs and that hasnt gone anywhere yet. So it could be awhile before deadpool is even ready.

dark_b
08-11-2009, 03:52 AM
Hugh Jackman was both Wolverine and Van Helsing and I thought he pulled it off. I think RR has more acting talent than HJ personally.

And also, Ian McKellen was both Magneto and Gandolf with no problem.

Sticking with the X-Men theme, Patrick Stewart was both Prof X and Capt Picard.

Not all "super heroes" per se, but similar characters in the nerd universe.

noone said you can not be in other movies. we are talking here about the comicbook character deadpool and green lantern. marvel and DC.

I SEE SPIDEY
08-11-2009, 04:01 AM
People still think that a Dead Pool movie is going to see the light of day?

Octoberist
08-11-2009, 04:13 AM
to be honest, I don't think so. Or anytime soon.

Fox is gonna sit on it, like how they're sitting on the other so-called spin-offs. And the sad thing about the X-Men franchise is that it's going backwards instead of progressing forward. Now it's full of spin offs galore, with no direction in sight. It just seems like Fox doesn't know what to do with the property. Deadpool included.

JeetKuneDo
08-11-2009, 07:06 AM
noone said you can not be in other movies. we are talking here about the comicbook character deadpool and green lantern. marvel and DC.
I was talking about the "can he pull it off convincingly" side. Whether or not he is allowed to do it is something the studios can worry about. :cwink:

Webhead2006
08-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Yea its a mess with fox's hands on xmen/dd/ff and its to bad fox will likely not give the rights back to xmen to marvel any time soon. DD/ff i believe are close to getting back to marvel's hands in the next few yrs if fox doesnt get something going with either of them.

Octoberist
08-12-2009, 06:17 PM
the main problem with Fox is that they micro-manage their films like crazy. As if they don't trust the writers and directors that they friggin' hire. It's stupid.

Hotwire
08-12-2009, 08:57 PM
I, for one, am against actors playing more than one comic book character. That's because, once they've played one, they've put their face and style into that character. To do another would kind of make the second the same as the first.

cerealkiller182
08-12-2009, 09:16 PM
I, for one, am against actors playing more than one comic book character. That's because, once they've played one, they've put their face and style into that character. To do another would kind of make the second the same as the first.

Actors would never work more than once with this mentality.

zeptron
08-12-2009, 09:53 PM
If GL was Marvel then I would have a problem with it. I'm not a fan of the same actor playing different Marvel characters. Besides Deadpool before he became Barakapool only had like five minutes of screentime in XOW. So I don't think many people are gonna remember Reynolds in that role.

And I wish fanboys would stop suggesting ScarJo for Black Cat. She's already Black Widow. Another Marvel character with a similar name and not only will she be in Iron Man 2 she will most likely be in The Avengers and whatever sequels it may have.

Spider-Vader
08-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Ryan Reynolds is...

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE!

Best....team....ever.

I'm glad he can play both. But the only other hero I can see him playing is Flash & if WB wants a JL movie then that won't happen.

Webhead2006
08-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Well we can probably pretty much rule out ever getting a supes in a jl film with the new siegel court ruling.

Octoberist
08-15-2009, 04:17 AM
no, becasue I'm sure the trial is hyperbole. It doesn't mean Superman is gonna leave the DC universe or the WB.

greenlantern248
08-15-2009, 11:36 AM
yeah the WB can't show the orgin anymore, which is fine cause I think everyone and their grandparents knows Superman's orgin by now.

I Am The Bat
08-15-2009, 11:47 AM
I would really have preferred him as Flash because that is what he always really wanted to do, but oh well...

I think he can because you know Halle Berry pulled off Catwoman and Storm, right?

James Marsden pulled of Cyclops (not really - I hated Cyc in those movies) and Lois Lane's husband

Sam Jackson is playing off Nick Fury and Octopus (The Spirit is a DC comic)

Eva Mendes was in Ghost Rider and The Spirit
Scarlett Johansson will be in IM2 and The Spirit

I know there is a couple more, but I can't think of them right now...

BULLITT
08-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Ryan Reynolds is...

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE!

:pal::applaud

Webhead2006
08-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Well i was speaking in the wrost case deal if come 2013 if the families decided to take their half away from wb/dc and both are left with the elements they have.

Webhead2006
08-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Well i was speaking in the wrost case deal if come 2013 if the families decided to take their half away from wb/dc and both are left with the elements they have. I do really hope that wont be the case and wb/dc could continue to use the character fully in comics/tv/movies with all elements and then with just the stuff the families owe wb/dc just have to pay license fee.

Doctor Jones
08-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Thank God the righs to Supes origins are gone from WB. Now we can move on from that.

Infinity9999x
08-15-2009, 03:26 PM

I agree 100%

Mal'Akai, I know you're not meaning to, but by stating what you said above, you're inadvertently insulting Reynolds, or any actor who plays multiple roles.

It's an actor's job to portray different characters, and appear to be a completely different person in each role. Now, granted, there are some film stars who get paid very well to play essentially the same character in each film they are in, but a good actor will take on a variety of roles, and seem like a completely different character in each movie.

Did Depp seem like the same person in Finding Neverland and Pirates? Did Ledger seem like the same person in TDK and A Knight's Tale? Did Tom Hanks seem like the same person in Big and Saving Private Ryan?

It's their job to play different roles, and I for one don't think playing DP and GL would be a problem, especially since the two characters are vastly different. Now, do I think a DP movie will be made? That one I'm not so sure on.

Spider-Vader
08-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Well we can probably pretty much rule out ever getting a supes in a jl film with the new siegel court ruling.
Superman is still owned by WB/DC though. We don't even need the origin anymore, everyone knows Supes' origin just like Batman's & Spidey's.

Webhead2006
08-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Well we will just have to see how things will go in next few years and all that. As for origin if we are to get a reboot i would enjoy seeing a new origin so we can clearly get away from the donner take of the origin and all that. Its all just a guessing game to see what happens come 2013 and all that. Hopefully in the end it stays fully intact at wb/dc comics and wb/dc are just charged reasonable license fees over the elements the families own with is clark/supes/lois/jorel/lara/infant kalel/krypton/its desctruction.

Hotwire
08-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Not really, just think along the lines of Hugh Jackman playing Superman. It really only applies to comic book films. I actually expected fanboys to kind of support this. Especially when some are saying things like, "That actor IS that character!" I don't know, just a peeve of mine.

Infinity9999x
08-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Not really, just think along the lines of Hugh Jackman playing Superman. It really only applies to comic book films. I actually expected fanboys to kind of support this. Especially when some are saying things like, "That actor IS that character!" I don't know, just a peeve of mine.

I simply want the best actor possible for the role. If Hugh Jackman reads the best for Supes, then put him in tights. That's always been my mentality.

Also, Reynolds/DP is a special case, in being that both the characters are relatively unknown to the general public, and also very different characters.

Franklin Richards
08-16-2009, 05:16 PM
I think you sell Green Lantern's name a little short in the public recognition category. Granted they think he's the Green Hornet but they at least have heard of him.

:D

:gl: :gl: :gl:

Infinity9999x
08-16-2009, 05:25 PM
I think you sell Green Lantern's name a little short in the public recognition category. Granted they think he's the Green Hornet but they at least have heard of him.

Ha well, he's not completely in the black. Thanks to the success of JLU, the name is fairly recognizable. A lot of my friends have been asking me why they didn't cast a black actor for GL. I would argue he's got more recognizably than Captain America with the general public at the moment. Hopefully the upcoming movies will change that.

cerealkiller182
08-16-2009, 07:48 PM

I dont see why comic book movies should get a such a constraint.

If Hugh Jackman was as good for Superman as Ryan Reynolds is for Deadpool but he was cast and successfully performed as Wolverine I would welcome him as Supes.

MaskedManJRK
08-18-2009, 04:15 PM

Fox is gonna sit on it, like how they're sitting on the other so-called spin-offs. And the sad thing about the X-Men franchise is that it's going backwards instead of progressing forward. Now it's full of spin offs galore, with no direction in sight. It just seems like Fox doesn't know what to do with the property. Deadpool included.

Creatively, yeah I can see that, they don't know what they're doing--financially, however, they know exactly what they're doing: throwing s**t out so it can make millions of dollars.

I think he can because you know Halle Berry pulled off Catwoman and Storm, right?

Heh. Ha. Haha. Hahahahaha. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Whew, thanks for the laugh, man. :) Carry on...

True--my mom has the gist of who Green Lantern is, and she willfully ignores that stuff.

Keyser Soze
08-18-2009, 04:19 PM

Oh no, Fox know exactly what they're doing with the X-Men franchise. Continuing to make X-Men movies just for the sake of making them, so the rights can't revert to Marvel. :cwink:

Webhead2006
08-18-2009, 11:47 PM
well i think i read some where if fox doesnt get another Xmen type of film out by 2012 the xmen rights would revert back to marvel. Though i am not to sure. At this rate if any marvel film from fox reverts back to marvel it will probably be DD first. Cause i seriously doubt fox will try again for DD.

Octoberist
08-19-2009, 03:12 AM
the sad thing is that Daredevil is such a great character who got an average/bad movie, despite the director's cut.

Webhead2006
08-19-2009, 04:05 AM
TRue there octoberist.

Doctor Jones
08-19-2009, 11:23 AM
You think if marvel still owned the rights to TF they could of bought back the x-men, FF, DD rights from FOX?

Ace of Knaves
08-24-2009, 04:54 AM
the sad thing is that Daredevil is such a great character who got an average/bad movie, despite the director's cut.

See I don't get the hate for Daredevil. The DC was a GREAT film I think. The only thing that let's it down is the silly playground fight and some dodgy CGI.

And Reynolds will play both.

The guy has been banging on about Deadpool since 2002. So what? He patiently waits 7 YEARS for the chance to make a Deadpool film, Deadpool finally gets green lit THEN he decides. "You know what? I've waited for this for 7 years, now the chance is here I'm gonna **** it off!"

C'mon...

Deadpool was never gonna be out before 2012 regardless of GL. What's Reynolds supposed to do? Just stop everything for Deadpool? Course not. He's done what a young actor with his star on the rise SHOULD do. Get another gig.

GL will be the "event" movie for him. Deadpool will more than likely be a cult film in the mold of Blade that he wants to do simply because he wants to do be Deadpool. Simple as that.

And as far as popularity goes. I'd say that at this present time they are pretty close.

Sure GL has the prestige of being a old school Golden Age character. And he has the big Blackest Night event.

But Deadpool has 2 ongoing series that sell at around 50-60,000 EACH. A highly praised mini series, multiple appearances in other comic book characters books PLUS he is now getting a THIRD ongoing series.

You don't get three ongoing series, multiple cross-overs and appearances and not be bonafide A-List. That's a fact.

And both characters can provide rich story telling opportunities. Obviously GL is the epic space saga. But then Deadpool is more of a psychological character. I mean, a story about a mercenary who gets terminal cancer, leaves the love of his life so she doesn't share his pain, goes to extreme lengths to cure cancer, but ends up even worse than before, physically and mentally scarred, makes for a compelling story even without the fourth wall breaking, the satire, the bonkers humour and the ninja/soldier stuff.

Doctor Jones
08-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Well said, Ace.

Webhead2006
08-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Yup i recently saw DD's director's cut on tv and compared to the standard version it a bit better the the original theaterical version of the film.

As for ryan doing both gl and deadpool. We will just have to see right now if deadpool gets a script, its approved by fox, and they get a director, and then if ryan still wants to do it or if he is able to do it bearing how long it takes to get ready and what else is on his plate between now and then.

BlackLantern
09-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Oh no, Fox know exactly what they're doing with the X-Men franchise. Continuing to make X-Men movies just for the sake of making them, so the rights can't revert to Marvel. :cwink:

well that deal isn't "in perpetuity", it has to run out sometime....

Octoberist
09-16-2009, 01:06 PM
or Marvel/Disney can buy the contract out..

BlackLantern
09-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Disney should just give Fox a buyout opportunity...write 'em a check and if they don't take it...DESTROY THEM!!!!

Webhead2006
09-16-2009, 02:26 PM
yea i said it before fox would likely keep a hold on xmen property for another few years, they know they can make money off the xmen characters. Be that a good or even bad film. But others they own dd/ff/gr they are really likely not going to get things actually moving on more films for those characters. so i really do think they should cut their loses there and hope for the best with xmen for awhile longer.

Doctor Jones
09-16-2009, 04:58 PM
The day when the Marvel rights from Fox go back to Marvel, damn, I think America should throw a party.

cerealkiller182
09-16-2009, 08:28 PM
The day when the Marvel rights from Fox go back to Marvel, damn, I think America should throw a party.

I bet we'd have to wait a damn long time for X-Men.

If Fox makes anyone of the spinoffs do they retain rights to the entire universe?

Webhead2006
09-16-2009, 11:52 PM
yea we know xmen is their hot ticket right now so fox is likely going to hold on to the film rights for xmen verse for a good long time. As i said before with the dead weight of the other properties they still have it should just go back to marvel. Cause do you really think they are going to do another ghost rider, or daredevil getting off the ground again, highly unlikely i think. As for FF thats a toss up there they could do something there but i still say give FF back to marvel too.

Doctor Jones
09-17-2009, 04:27 PM
First class is a bad idea. But I like the plot of origins 2 and MCquarrie is writing, but Fox will probably **** it all up anyway.

Vis
09-17-2009, 09:21 PM
"There's no rule that says you can't play two different characters in two different comic-book universes," Reynolds told Entertainment Weekly.Great, now he can ruin both characters/movies simultaneously. :dry:

Octoberist
09-17-2009, 10:01 PM
yeah, vis. That's the ultimate goal. Yeah, that's right....(pttf)

Webhead2006
09-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Well yea fox has totally screwed the poouch with the marvel films they have rights too. Sure some have been ok, or done decently, but they could still be done so much better. As for Ryan i said my case on this before, i have no worries with him. HE can do comedy he can do drama, and campbell is a solid director so he will probably balance ryan out well.

Infinity9999x
09-17-2009, 11:30 PM
See I don't get the hate for Daredevil. The DC was a GREAT film I think. The only thing that let's it down is the silly playground fight and some dodgy CGI.

And Reynolds will play both.

The guy has been banging on about Deadpool since 2002. So what? He patiently waits 7 YEARS for the chance to make a Deadpool film, Deadpool finally gets green lit THEN he decides. "You know what? I've waited for this for 7 years, now the chance is here I'm gonna **** it off!"

C'mon...

Deadpool was never gonna be out before 2012 regardless of GL. What's Reynolds supposed to do? Just stop everything for Deadpool? Course not. He's done what a young actor with his star on the rise SHOULD do. Get another gig.

GL will be the "event" movie for him. Deadpool will more than likely be a cult film in the mold of Blade that he wants to do simply because he wants to do be Deadpool. Simple as that.

And as far as popularity goes. I'd say that at this present time they are pretty close.

Sure GL has the prestige of being a old school Golden Age character. And he has the big Blackest Night event.

But Deadpool has 2 ongoing series that sell at around 50-60,000 EACH. A highly praised mini series, multiple appearances in other comic book characters books PLUS he is now getting a THIRD ongoing series.

You don't get three ongoing series, multiple cross-overs and appearances and not be bonafide A-List. That's a fact.

I'm sorry Ace, but I'm going to have to disagree about DP being A list. Spider-man, Superman, Batman, they're A-list. Wolverine is A-list. And look at how many series all of them have?

Regardless, what matters in terms of film, is how recognizable the General Public is with him. In terms of General Public recognizability, DP is certainly not A-list.

However, I would say that DP is probably pretty close to GL in terms of General Public recognition. GL isn't that well known, the biggest thing he has going for him was the DCAU, since JLU was pretty big.

Doctor Jones
09-18-2009, 03:43 PM
The GA has no idea who Wade Wilson or Deadpool is. Accept for the piss poor one we saw in Origins (Reynolds as Wade was one of the best things about the film)

Ace of Knaves
09-18-2009, 03:56 PM
You could say the same thing about Hal Jordan and GL though.

The general public's biggest exposure to GL is John Stewart in the Justice League TAS.

And honestly, GA awareness isn't that important IMO. I mean, look at all the movies and characters that have no previous source material. They still become popular right? Some of them become pop culture icons. Jack Sparrow for instance.

All that matters is if the character is interesting enough. And I think both Wade Wilson and Hal Jordan can become interesting enough, if given the proper treatment.

I mean one guy is a merc who got cancer, went to extreme lengths to cure the cancer and ended up insane and horribly disfigured. Who satirizes pretty much every thing and breaks the fourth wall.

The other guy is a frickin space cop! Nuff said.

And as for the piss poor Deadpool in Wolverine? Well I doubt the GA give a crap that it wasn't really Deadpool at the end. All they care about is that Wade Wilsons scene with the bullet slicing and all that was bad ass. I'm sure they would dig more of that.

And this isn't my fan boy speaking, but Marvel is pushing Deadpool out there big time. He's given mr over exposed himself a run for his money. 3 on going series at the same time? If he ain't bonafide A list now it's only a matter of time.

Doctor Jones
09-18-2009, 05:54 PM
I agree with you there, but the thing about Deadpool itself is the concept. People will be confused about it. It's a superhero film, probably rated R (if Fox didn't have their way) comedic with a guy who looks like who could kill you and he's breaking the fourth wall and cracking jokes? People won't know if it's serious or a comedy. They won't understand it as much. But there is a shroud of hope that people could be curious about the concept and check it out, even if they did, there's the question of them actually getting it.

But GL is pretty much SW with superheroes. A concept everybody can get and get behind. Deadpool will be a much tougher sell and it's more daring.

dnno1
09-24-2009, 05:23 PM
I saw this link (http://www.nukethefridge.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2234:ntf-exclusive-rob-liefeld-says-13-of-green-lantern-set-on-oa&catid=10:news&Itemid=39) over at Nuke the Fridge (NTF). Apparently Rob Liefield is friends with the FX supervisors for the "Green Lantern" project. Liefield says that he has seen the storyboards for the film and that 1/3 of the movie will be set on OA. He also says that "numerous Green Lanterns, including fan favorite Kilowog and Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds) mentor turned archenemy, Sinestro." Of course, this should come as no surprise to us, but the one thing that should give us a warm feeling of confidence in the project is Liefield's statement that the storyboards looked amazing and the film would be just that if they could translate the storyboards onto film.

Kent
09-24-2009, 06:15 PM
I agree with you there, but the thing about Deadpool itself is the concept. People will be confused about it. It's a superhero film, probably rated R (if Fox didn't have their way) comedic with a guy who looks like who could kill you and he's breaking the fourth wall and cracking jokes? People won't know if it's serious or a comedy. They won't understand it as much. But there is a shroud of hope that people could be curious about the concept and check it out, even if they did, there's the question of them actually getting it.

But GL is pretty much SW with superheroes. A concept everybody can get and get behind. Deadpool will be a much tougher sell and it's more daring.

Meh. All they need to do for DP is to make it a superhero version of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and it won't be confusing in the slightest.

javphonic
09-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Well I think he can play both, isn't Deadpool's face going to be covered or disfigured anyway... or is a a prequel to a prequel?

Ace of Knaves
09-24-2009, 06:18 PM

Yea I agree. And that's why Deadpool shouldn't be made as a mid summer, big budget blockbuster.

Just aim it as a cult hit like Blade with a modest budget, and it won't have to be a massive financial success.

Reynolds wouldn't be in for Deadpool because of the money or the fame, that's pretty obvious. He just wants to do it because he wants to be Deadpool.

Webhead2006
09-24-2009, 08:14 PM
yea we know he loves the deadpool character. But they still dont have a script so we dont know when it will be happening just yet. As for if that guy saw the storyboards thats cool. Cant wait to see things happen.

Ace of Knaves
09-25-2009, 03:35 AM
Well I think he can play both, isn't Deadpool's face going to be covered or disfigured anyway... or is a a prequel to a prequel?

Well Reynolds and Donner have said it won't tie into Wolverine at all.

So more of a "reboot" of the character. Egh I hate that word :D

Octoberist
09-25-2009, 03:37 AM
strange to make it a reboot..

Ace of Knaves
09-25-2009, 03:42 AM
Not really. I think they realize what they did with Deadpool in Wolverine isn't very popular. So they want to keep it as far away from that as possible.

Sure Wade Wilson was popular, so we'll probably see more of that in his film rather than the "thing" at the end.

Webhead2006
09-25-2009, 03:33 PM
they said that about deadpool, i didnt see that anywhere.

Ace of Knaves
09-25-2009, 03:36 PM
They said what about Deadpool? That it wouldn't tie in to Wolverine? It was in a interview with Reynolds about 2 months ago, with Empire I think.

Webhead2006
09-25-2009, 03:44 PM
oh ok, i didnt see that. Well alot of fans did like RR in the film, but where pissed off what they did with the character.

Ace of Knaves
09-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Yea, rightly so.

I mean Weapon XI or barakapool whatever you wanna call him was pretty cool IMO. But not as Deadpool. If it was just a character created for the film.

Webhead2006
09-25-2009, 04:27 PM
oh ya, it was neat and all. But if solo film can take the character more seriously and adapt it more faithfully it would make a better film. Not to get to off topic, what are some deadpool villains?

Ace of Knaves
09-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Well a lot of heroes are his "villains" really. He's fought the X-Men a load of times. Specifically X-Force.

His main villain would be T-Ray. A sorcerer type guy.

There's also Taskmaster. But they have worked together and fought against each other a few times. They have a weird relationship.

I'd like them to use Ajax though. He was the guy who tortured Wade when he was in the "workshop". The place where he got experimented on and turned into a lab rat.

Webhead2006
09-25-2009, 04:48 PM
ok thanks for the info, i am sure they will pick some decent guy.

Doctor Jones
09-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Yeah, if they do a Kiss Kiss Bang Bang sort of thing it should be fine. Though the superhero concept with that may be hard to grasp for some people. But hell, I'd see it.

Webhead2006
09-25-2009, 05:03 PM
i wonder how breaking the 4th wall would work in the film if it does happen for deadpool.

Doctor Jones
09-26-2009, 04:43 PM
It would work. And they should do it. Lefield confirmed it anyway.

Webhead2006
09-26-2009, 11:18 PM
well the thing is right now sure the creator guy can say what ever he wants for deadpool film. But we know there really isnt much development going on it right now besides what a script having writers attached. Its probably a good yr/yr and a half before a deadpool film will get off the ground.

dnno1
08-09-2010, 10:18 AM
I know what Reynolds has said, but the way things are going with his scheduel and the fact that the WB is moving forward with the sequel next year (and according to Latino Review (http://www.latinoreview.com/news/are-green-lantern-2-and-3-already-in-development-10760), the third film in the trilogy) there isn't going to be a Deadpool film in 2012.

Johnny Rotten
08-09-2010, 01:00 PM
There is zero chance of that happening.

The first Green Lantern is a big enough financial risk. But basically filming three back to back? Not a chance in hell. Green Lantern is a totally untried character in the mass market. Doing this would be like Marvel making 3 Iron Man films back to back. It just doesn't make business sense.

It is not only a massive financial risk, but it goes against WB/DCs movie plan. One tentpole a year.

So they gonna bring out Green Lantern 2 and Batman 3 in the same summer?

Not a chance.

mclay18
08-09-2010, 01:13 PM

Not a chance.

Showtime DID say that Warners plans on releasing Batman 3 and Superman in the same year. Batman in July and Superman in mid-December.

There's still some spots left on the summer 2012 roster, so if Warners wants to have two DC films out that summer -- more power to them. It's not like they're rushing GL2 at the moment.

Doctor Jones
08-09-2010, 01:22 PM
GL2 by 2013 hopefully. A year later is stupid.

dnno1
08-09-2010, 01:37 PM
There is zero chance of that happening.

The first Green Lantern is a big enough financial risk. But basically filming three back to back? Not a chance in hell. Green Lantern is a totally untried character in the mass market. Doing this would be like Marvel making 3 Iron Man films back to back. It just doesn't make business sense.

It is not only a massive financial risk, but it goes against WB/DCs movie plan. One tentpole a year.

Not a chance.

Well history says that it was done before (see "Superman 1 & 2" and the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy) so I don't see what you are basing your "zero chance" theory on.

S.A.A.D.
08-09-2010, 01:44 PM
I don't care if part 2 is out in 2012,they should bring it on imo,as long as it's great. I have no reason to complain about the plan right now. It's not like the movie is going to be filmed on the spot as soon as the writing is finally done,etc.

Octoberist
08-09-2010, 03:26 PM
I can't see the sequel coming out in 2012. Ryan's just too busy in 2011 to film it. Plus, there's everyone's so concerned abou 2012, but what about 2013 and beyond? Unless we're all dead, there's room to stretch it out a bit and not clutter the market.

Juggernaut33
08-09-2010, 03:37 PM
That 2012 release date is impossible to make. 2013 at the very least. Plus, Warner Bros. already has Batman 3 and Man of Steel coming out that year, why would they put two major tentpoles (Batman & Green Lantern) against each other. Doesn't make sense.

matrix_ghost
08-09-2010, 05:10 PM
You gotta be kidding if you think that we'll see a sequel in 2012. The first movie isn't that big that it needs to be cut into 2 parts. Not to mention that as soon as the director is finished with GL1 , he'll immediatly have to shoot the 2nd movie in order to make the 2012 release date.
C'mon people use your brain. If we were going to see 2 movies in 2011 and 2012 WB would've announced this long ago.

WB takes risks but they won't take that big of a risk to immediatly shoot 2 GL back-to-back. It's always been a case of "wait and see how the first movie will perform and then proceed forward with sequel(s)".
Matrix 2 & 3 , final potter movies .

As for Reynolds playing Deadpool , this really could conflict with his schedule. It's a question of when Fox plans to release the Deadpool movie as well as whether WB is going to make back-toback sequels. If WB is doing the latter , that would mean that Fox would either have to wait till Reynolds is finished or recast.

Octoberist
08-09-2010, 05:13 PM
My prediction is: 2013 will have Green Lantern 2 and The Flash.

matrix_ghost
08-09-2010, 05:29 PM
My prediction is: 2013 will have Green Lantern 2 and The Flash.

Seems about right . I just hope that WB and Nolan don't put Batman on the backburner after the 3rd flick is released in 2012.
That and not getting a superman movie after 2012.

dnno1
08-09-2010, 05:37 PM
You gotta be kidding if you think that we'll see a sequel in 2012. The first movie isn't that big that it needs to be cut into 2 parts. Not to mention that as soon as the director is finished with GL1 , he'll immediatly have to shoot the 2nd movie in order to make the 2012 release date.
C'mon people use your brain. If we were going to see 2 movies in 2011 and 2012 WB would've announced this long ago.

WB takes risks but they won't take that big of a risk to immediatly shoot 2 GL back-to-back. It's always been a case of "wait and see how the first movie will perform and then proceed forward with sequel(s)".
Matrix 2 & 3 , final potter movies .

As for Reynolds playing Deadpool , this really could conflict with his schedule. It's a question of when Fox plans to release the Deadpool movie as well as whether WB is going to make back-toback sequels. If WB is doing the latter , that would mean that Fox would either have to wait till Reynolds is finished or recast.

It's that big. Greg Berlanti sold Green Lantern as a grand trilogy. This is not unlike how Richard Donner and the Salkind brothers sold Superman as a two picture deal or like Peter Jackson sold LOTR as a trilogy. My counterpoint was that it has been done before and I am not kidding either. From what I have been reading from the print media the expectation out of this franchise is that it will eclipse "Harry Potter" as the highest grossing film franchise ever.

Blackman
08-09-2010, 05:41 PM
From what I have been reading from the print media the expectation out of this franchise is that it will eclips "Harry Potter" as the highest grossing film franchise ever.
Reading that
First I thought :wow::awesome::woot:
Then I thought:huh:
Now I think :whatever:
I like GL, but bigger than Harry Potter...nah

Paradoxal
08-09-2010, 06:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xcMxnNzp2I

Raiden
08-09-2010, 07:12 PM
It's that big. Greg Berlanti sold Green Lantern as a grand trilogy. This is not unlike how Richard Donner and the Salkind brothers sold Superman as a two picture deal or like Peter Jackson sold LOTR as a trilogy. My counterpoint was that it has been done before and I am not kidding either. From what I have been reading from the print media the expectation out of this franchise is that it will eclipse "Harry Potter" as the highest grossing film franchise ever.

GL eclipsing Potter as a film franchise? Even Spider-man trilogy couldn't dethrone Potter, and I don't see GL doing better than Spider-man.

S.A.A.D.
08-10-2010, 01:04 AM
I'd be a happy man if a GL movie could at least make around 500$ million or more at the box office. But I think that 800$ million+ would be pushing it a lot.

S.A.A.D.
08-10-2010, 01:15 AM
Domestically speaking,none of the Harry Potter movies so far have made more money than the Spiderman movies domestically.

Spideyfan93
08-10-2010, 01:15 AM
It is weird to think GL could perform extremely well at the BO and break records but I have this feeling in my soul that it could change cinema. Something that will follow for decades in pop culture just like Star Wars.

It's very odd.

Octoberist
08-10-2010, 01:57 AM
that's a bold statement. we'll see. it could have more creativity than Avatar though.

Karelia
08-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Rob Liefield tweeted this:

"Warner Bros. just trying to protect their investment. They don't want Ryan Reynolds playing Deadpool AND Green Lantern. Interesting 2 watch"

Doctor Jones
08-11-2010, 05:57 PM
He's typing that as he draws his pouches.

Octoberist
08-11-2010, 06:21 PM
"I can't draw feet" - - Rob Liefeld

When you're an artist, you're always improving and learning new styles. What stopped him from learning how to draw feet?

I swear to God, he made a comment HINTING that Green Lantern would be delayed and Deadpool would be made first.

S.A.A.D.
08-11-2010, 06:57 PM
^How recent was that?

Octoberist
08-11-2010, 07:02 PM
http://twitter.com/robertliefeld/status/20729939739

It's only a theory and his opinion though.

also:

Bottom line about Deadpool film is that if FOX doesn't pull the DP film together with Ryan Reynolds between GL films-they should Hari Kari

http://twitter.com/robertliefeld/status/20906785364

Ryan Reynolds is the new Will Smith, if FOX can't maximize this window of opportunity with this star, this character, that script=MASSV FAIL

http://twitter.com/robertliefeld/status/20906974395

Doctor Jones
08-11-2010, 07:03 PM
So about as recent as Liefeld's bad drawings. He shouldn't ever use the words "Massive Fail" in his life. He would be making fun of himself if he did.

Octoberist
08-11-2010, 07:03 PM
It's funny how his twitter is plastered with Deadpool.

I swear to GOD, that he didn't give a crap about that character until it became successful and NOW he's riding on the tailcoats of his creation (that started off as a rip off of DC's Deathstroke. It was the other writers that Deadpool interesting, not so much Liefeld)

JokerLedger
08-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Hari Kari? Rob.. it's HARAKIRI... please... for that mistake... go perform HARI KARI on yourself.

Juggernaut33
08-11-2010, 07:40 PM
"Warner Bros. just trying to protect their investment. They don't want Ryan Reynolds playing Deadpool AND Green Lantern. Interesting 2 watch"Again with the Ryan Reynolds can't be a Marvel and a DC b*tching. This is getting ridiculous. This is business. People need to realize that Hollywood studios don't give a flying you-know-what about the whole Marvel/DC rivalry.

solidsnake86
08-11-2010, 07:57 PM
I don't know much about deadpool but isn't the character horribly scarred. On top o that he wears a mask, why they would even want to pay Reynolds his salary to basically stay in a costume the whole time and be a glorified stunt double is beyond me. I doubt even Reynolds will do it if lantern becomes a hit. The most they would even need him for is for voice overs, but I doubt deadpool will even be made. How do u even market something like that with the star character being hidden. Just look at those green lantern posters; he doesn't have the mask on because this movie is probably going to be marketed around Reynolds.

Octoberist
08-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Career-wise, he made the right move with Green Lantern because it's a bigger character than Deadpool and it's the main reason why he's getting the projects that he's getting now. Because of Green Lantern.

If he turned it down and just went with Deadpool (which would be in Development Hell no matter what), his career would remain a B-Lister.

Doctor Jones
08-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Yeah, as much as I would love to see a DP film, this was a smarter movie. If this is a success he can do DP and he will become an even bigger name. Although these days name doesn't quite sell like it used to.

Jow Strummer
08-12-2010, 01:32 AM
Hmmm i think what DC/WB is pretty douchey. They have seen the movement on the Deadpool movie and are trying to sway Reynolds.

I don't see the fuss though. DC doesn't control Reynolds. They don't have one of those "golden handcuff" contracts. Plus Reynolds already has a contract with Fox.

The decision is all down to Reynolds himself. Reynolds knows that Deadpool hasn't got franchise potential like GL... but that isn't why he wanted to do a Deadpool movie in the first place. He wants to do Deadpool because... well, he just wants to do it. It's his passion project which he has been pushing for the best part of a decade. He's been involved with the script etc.

I just don't see him dropping out. It'd be like running a marathon, getting to the 25th mile, then quitting.

And how would Deadpool be in development hell no matter what? It is pushing foward as we speak. The script is done, looks like Rodriguez will direct. The whole reason DC is doing this is because Deadpool is moving forward. They see the Deadpool movie getting closer to fruition so they are trying to sway Reynolds and get him to quit Deadpool.

Which is pointless and douchey. What difference does it make to them if he does another comic book movie? As long as it isn't a rival ie being released at exactly the same time, why do WB even think they have a say in the matter.

JokerLedger
08-12-2010, 02:25 AM
Well it makes sense for WB to try to get Reynolds off the project not because it's a Marvel character but because they want a GL sequel by 2013.

Honestly, Ryan Reynolds was born to play Deadpool... but he was destined to be Hal Jordan. If anything Ryan should just provide his voice to the character and not be in costume.

Doctor Jones
08-12-2010, 08:34 AM
That's just wrong. You need the actor too. We may not see his face but the fact we know it's not him in the costume, takes away ALOT from the character.

I have a feeling if GL is a success, WB will swoop in soon after and try to get Reynolds to do it instead of DP. I just hope he makes Deadpool. I can wait for a GL2 (although depending on how awesome this film will be that may change) but I want to see a DP film more.

Jow Strummer
08-12-2010, 08:51 AM
I just think WB/DC are doing this for a petty reason.

Reynolds making Deadpool doesn't effect the Green Lantern franchise... at all. They will not have GL2 for 2012, so why won't they just let Reynolds do what he wants to do? Lauren Shuler Donner said they want to shoot Deadpool in 2011, presumably for a late 2011 or 2012 release.

Basically, WB/DC are trying to stop the guy from doing his dream project simply for DC vs Marvel bragging rights IMO. And that is a truly pathetic and petty reason.

If Deadpool was planned to come out in summer 2011 or 2013, rivalling Green Lantern 1 or 2 I could totally understand their position. But that is not the case. Reynolds making Deadpool wouldn't effect the GL franchise in a business/financial stand point at all. So money is not their motivation. Like i said, it's DC vs Marvel bragging rights. Nothing more.

Reynolds destiny is in his own hands. And considering Reynolds has used the words "destiny" and "Deadpool" in the same sentence before... i doubt he'll drop out of Deadpool by his own accord. And if the studio forces him to drop out of his dream project, then that is just utterly douchey.

dnno1
08-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Protecting your franchise is not a petty reason.

LadyVader
08-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Ryan Reynolds knew there was a possibility of this happening when he signed on for the part of Green Lantern. Come on. You telling me he never saw Entourage and what happened to Vinny Chase after Aquaman? It's a case of art imitating life imitating art.

DarkKnight FTW
08-12-2010, 09:40 AM
I just think WB/DC are doing this for a petty reason.

Reynolds making Deadpool doesn't effect the Green Lantern franchise... at all. They will not have GL2 for 2012, so why won't they just let Reynolds do what he wants to do? Lauren Shuler Donner said they want to shoot Deadpool in 2011, presumably for a late 2011 or 2012 release.

Basically, WB/DC are trying to stop the guy from doing his dream project simply for DC vs Marvel bragging rights IMO. And that is a truly pathetic and petty reason.

If Deadpool was planned to come out in summer 2011 or 2013, rivalling Green Lantern 1 or 2 I could totally understand their position. But that is not the case. Reynolds making Deadpool wouldn't effect the GL franchise in a business/financial stand point at all. So money is not their motivation. Like i said, it's DC vs Marvel bragging rights. Nothing more.

Reynolds destiny is in his own hands. And considering Reynolds has used the words "destiny" and "Deadpool" in the same sentence before... i doubt he'll drop out of Deadpool by his own accord. And if the studio forces him to drop out of his dream project, then that is just utterly douchey.

First thing, it's business. Ryan knew there was a chance of this when he signed on to play both characters. WB has to protect their investment cuz if Deadpool bombs (and considering its pretty niche and likely to get an 'R' and coming from FOX, it will) it could negatively affect GL. I personally don't care Deadpool but some do. It should be a direct to DVD movie anyway, just like Punisher. For the studio, its [B]all about money[B], What have you seen to suggest otherwise. That's business 101, the bottom line. WB wants its next cashcow to replace Harry Potter. They've made that clear. its WB vs. FOX, not Marvel vs. DC. Hell, Fox controls the property not Marvel. Marvel only controls Avengers and now Punisher.

Jow Strummer
08-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Protecting the franchise from what though? How is Reynolds playing Deadpool going to effect Green Lantern in any way? Positive or negative? Two completely different characters, two different universes. In Deadpool you wouldn't even see the guys face for 99% of it. Both movies would be coming out in different years. There is absolutely no rivalry there.

At the end of the day they are jobs. He has a contract with Fox and WB. WB doesn't control the guy. Like i said earlier, it isn't one of those "golden handcuff" type deals. Reynolds signed a contract with Fox when he did the Wolverine movie. And you can bet your life savings that there was a sequel/spin off clause in the contract. Fox maybe *******s, but they ain't stupid. And if Reynolds didn't have a contract with Fox, why would they allow him to work on the script and mention the film in pretty much every interview he has done in the last year?

Why should Deadpool be a direct to DVD movie? He's a far more pyschologically complex and compelling character than Hal Jordan. Hal Jordan just has the benefit of being in a sci fi/adventure mythos and a film that is an effects driven event movie. But when it comes to the actual personalities of each character, for me, Deadpool is far more interesting and unique.

And I ain't being funny, but I and pretty much everyone i know finds the idea of a psychologically messed up mercenary who breaks the fourth wall and satirizes Hollywood and comic books far more interesting than some guy who has a "magic ring" that shoots green things whilst reciting some cheesy as hell "oath". I mean come on, anyone who doesn't know the character and is older than 10 is gonna cringe or roll their eyes at the oath. Green Lantern isn't a guaranteed success, and you would be deluded to think it is. You say if Deadpool bombs it'll negatively effect GL, which i don't think would happen if Deadpool bombs anyway. Well what if GL bombs? It is in no way a guaranteed success. That's why i believe this sequels filmed back to back talk is BS and is just trying to force Reynolds into a awkward position.(BTW i like the GL mythos, i'm just speaking from a general audience members POV)

This whole thing with WB planning to make Green Lantern a trilogy... without the first film even having a trailer... is just ridiculous. WB have been wary about big budget super hero movies that ain't Batman for years. Then they got burned with Superman Returns. Now they are planning a whole trilogy in quick succession about a character who has never been tested on the mass market? Green Lantern isn't Batman, or even Superman. I think the whole thing is a ploy to put unnecessary pressure on Reynolds. They are basically trying to force the guy to give up his dream role.

DarkKnight FTW
08-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Protecting the franchise from what though? How is Reynolds playing Deadpool going to effect Green Lantern in any way? Positive or negative? Two completely different characters, two different universes. In Deadpool you wouldn't even see the guys face for 99% of it. Both movies would be coming out in different years. There is absolutely no rivalry there.

At the end of the day they are jobs. He has a contract with Fox and WB. WB doesn't control the guy. Like i said earlier, it isn't one of those "golden handcuff" type deals. Reynolds signed a contract with Fox when he did the Wolverine movie. And you can bet your life savings that there was a sequel/spin off clause in the contract. Fox maybe *******s, but they ain't stupid. And if Reynolds didn't have a contract with Fox, why would they allow him to work on the script and mention the film in pretty much every interview he has done in the last year?

Why should Deadpool be a direct to DVD movie? He's a far more pyschologically complex and compelling character than Hal Jordan. Hal Jordan just has the benefit of being in a sci fi/adventure mythos and a film that is an effects driven event movie. But when it comes to the actual personalities of each character, for me, Deadpool is far more interesting and unique.

And I ain't being funny, but I and pretty much everyone i know finds the idea of a psychologically messed up mercenary who breaks the fourth wall and satirizes Hollywood and comic books far more interesting than some guy who has a "magic ring" that shoots green things whilst reciting some cheesy as hell "oath". I mean come on, anyone who doesn't know the character and is older than 10 is gonna cringe or roll their eyes at the oath. Green Lantern isn't a guaranteed success, and you would be deluded to think it is. You say if Deadpool bombs it'll negatively effect GL, which i don't think would happen if Deadpool bombs anyway. Well what if GL bombs? It is in no way a guaranteed success. That's why i believe this sequels filmed back to back talk is BS and is just trying to force Reynolds into a awkward position.(BTW i like the GL mythos, i'm just speaking from a general audience members POV)

When actors have bombs, especially up and comers like Ryan, it hurts the next movie they do. Its as simple as that. So WB don't want Ryan to do the "Risky" Deadpool movie because it may negatively affect GL's box office. And Green Lantern is more of a sure thing in the eyes of Hollywood than Deadpool. Coming off of "Origins" and having a main character who's masked the whole time is Risky. R rated superheroes are risky because you can't get kids into the theater at all. I do think the sequel talk is BS but I'm pretty confident that it wasn't started by WB. Ryan's schedule is loaded as of right now and that doesn't include Deadpool. So I bet some exec. said that they'd like to start immediately on the sequel and that got misconstrued.

Octoberist
08-12-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm telling you all that Rob Liefeld is just instigating.

Karelia
08-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Most likely he is, he probably just wants some attention. :D

If it is true though, then, bummer. I was looking forward to seeing what he would've done with a Deadpool film.

LadyVader
08-12-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm telling you all that Rob Liefeld is just instigating.

Exactly! Thank you! I mean, this is all coming from Liefeld alone. We haven't heard a word from the people actually working on the projects themselves. I don't even know, how involved IS Rob Liefeld in pre-production for Deadpool?

I think that WB's intentions are obvious and yes they're jumping the gun a bit already greenlighting sequels but I don't think it has anything to do with the Deadpool movie. They wanna repeat the succes of Harry Potter, launching an uber succesful movie in consecutive years.

SuperDaniel
08-12-2010, 03:37 PM
**** Deadpool! He`s always been a ****** character, IMO. Just more of the same anti-hero/villain Marvel BS. Once Green Lantern premieres, RR will understand that he made the better move.

WB is doing the right thing, IMO. Finally.

cryptic name
08-12-2010, 03:55 PM
**** Deadpool! He`s always been a ****** character, IMO. Just more of the same anti-hero/villain Marvel BS. Once Green Lantern premieres, RR will understand that he made the better move.

WB is doing the right thing, IMO. Finally.

as a disclaimer, I really like Green Lantern and I think this movie is going to be really good. that being said: Deadpool is an infinitely more interesting and entertaining character than Hal Jordan and if done right, that movie could be one of the funniest, most badass things to ever hit the screen. he should do both

Blackman
08-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Well IF Reynolds cant fit DP into Fox's timetable than I hope James Roday is available

Octoberist
08-12-2010, 04:04 PM
The thing is, as stated before, Ryan made the best decision by doing Green Lantern. It's best for his career. I hope that Deadpool gets made too, but GL is the bigger tentpool.

LadyVader
08-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Ryan is also going to narrate a DC documentary, so it's obvious WB is in love with the guy. Not only is it good for his future career, but WB are treating Ryan infinitely better than Fox ever did. What did Fox do anyway? Gave him a cameo and pissed all over the character he loves.

Octoberist
08-12-2010, 04:17 PM
And for some odd reason, some Deadpool fans don't see it , while others do. It's blind devotion without thinking "Crap, it's Fox."

LadyVader
08-12-2010, 04:33 PM
It's the only way to deal with the disappointement really. Forget that Baraka Pool every existed and just consider this Deadpool movie the REAL beginning of the collaboration between Fox and Ryan Reynolds. For the past year I think that's the general consensus. Yeah, Origins sucked, but we're getting our Deadpool movie!

Denial. Thy name is Wade Wilson.

Octoberist
08-12-2010, 04:39 PM
'Geek Denial' is something that is so strong among a collective group of geeks.

Karelia
08-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Well RR was basically saying the movie was a fresh start, so it was kinda hard not to geek out about Deadpool, especially how everything was falling perfectly into place. [/Geek Denial] I love both characters. :D I've been excited about the possibility of a Deadpool film since it was greenlit. So if it doesn't happen I'll probably be pretty bummed.

Maybe RR will say what's going on with it sooner or later. Hasn't he said he lurks SHH? :p

DarkKnight FTW
08-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Deadpool isn't interesting to me at all. He's funny and breaks the 4th wall but that's about it. I say RR just stick to Green Lantern and let Fox recast...They'll f*** it up anyway!

Octoberist
08-12-2010, 07:34 PM
I can see the appeal of Deadpool but I'm shocked at the cult fanbase he has: he's like the Bruce Campbell of comic book characters.

arman200
08-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Considering Deadpool is masked the most of the time anyway, what does it matter if Reynolds is there or not? They could write it so that they just use a stunt double in the suit the entire time, and then voice-over with Reynolds and shoot his 'out-of-suit' stuff later. So his scheduling wouldn't even be a biggie.

Also, as previously stated multiple times, Fox is going to ruin Deadpool anyway.

Micah12345
08-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Yeah even if a deadpool movie was greenlit, I wouldn't be excited because fox is behind it.

Doctor Jones
08-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Fox turned out The A-Team and Predators this year. Two good Fox films in seven years. They might have turned over a new leaf. Although with these movies not doing as well including Knight and Day, I hope they don't go back to their own ways. They said thewy were happy wiyh Predators. So if they made DP for $40 million or so and make it R the stakes aren't that high and they won't interfere.

Octoberist
08-13-2010, 05:06 AM
IF ROBERT WAS involved with Deadpool, I can see it working..

LadyVader
08-13-2010, 05:29 AM
I don't see it happening. The news of negotiations broke 2 weeks ago and still no word on whether he'll do it or not. He's worked with Fox on Machete and Predators so he know what he's getting himself into. What's the hold up?

Octoberist
08-13-2010, 05:35 AM
From what I've read, even if Fox did talk to him about Deadpool, he still wants to do Spy Kids 4 (for some odd reason) next (not talking about his 'vapor' movies like Sin City 2 or Nervecracker).

So if Fox wants ASAP, it may happen UNLESS they can offer him a nice paycheck, THEN he might reconsider.

dnno1
08-13-2010, 08:27 AM
IF ROBERT WAS involved with Deadpool, I can see it working..

Like the remake of "Red Sonja" right?

Doctor Jones
08-13-2010, 10:25 AM
I can wait for a Sin City 2 if that means getting Deadpool first.

FlawlessVictory
09-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Ryan Reynolds: I'll be in either Deadpool or R.I.P.D., but probably not both

Legions of Deadpool fans are waiting anxiously for the Merc With A Mouth's spin-off movie, hoping it'll redress Wade Wilson's mistreatment in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. But Ryan Reynolds told us he'll either star in Deadpool or R.I.P.D... but not both.

We caught up with Reynolds doing some press for his new "trapped in a coffin" movie Buried, which comes out in limited release this weekend. Reynolds' IMDB page lists him as signed up for six different movies in pre-production. So we asked him about his upcoming plans, including Deadpool and the undead-cops comic book adaptation R.I.P.D. And here's what he told us:

So can you tell us when you might be filming Deadpool or R.I.P.D.?

Neither [is] next. I shoot a movie called The Change-Up next. It's kind of like an R-rated comedy, and right after that I start on a thriller called Safe House with Denzel Washington. And then, after that is where one of those two movies will hopefully fall.

But you don't know which one yet?

People sort of ask this question, like I have any say in the matter. They're both movies I'm interested in, they're both movies that are in fast-track development. But I never say I'm doing a movie until I break for lunch the first day. Because it's such a crapshoot, this industry. Everything's so fickle and so contingent on so many factors, aside from just an actor. And because it has an actor, and because these films have interested directors, it's obviously likely that they'll both get made. But I think it would be more likely that only one of them gets made with me.

Because you've got other projects on the horizon, like Green Lantern 2?

Oh, yeah, we got to get that cart well in front of the horse, I guess. (Laughs)

The good news is, it actually sounds like Reynolds' next project, The Change-Up, has a fantasy/SF twist. Reynolds' slacker character swaps bodies with responsible family man Jason Bateman, so Bateman can date Olivia Wilde's character, who's a co-worker at Bateman's law (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?p=18936726#) firm. This film is from the writers of The Hangover and the director of Wedding Crashers, David Dobkin. I'd heard about this project, but hadn't realized it had any speculative elements.

http://io9.com/5643487/ryan-reynolds-ill-be-in-either-deadpool-or-ripd-but-probably-not-both

Doctor Jones
09-21-2010, 05:19 PM
It better be Deadpool. I mean why would he abandon it suddenly? He's been wanting to get it off the ground for years. Now he has the opportunity to be in it, supervises the writing of the script every day, knows what's going on, and he would just walk away? It's a passion project for him. He's been a huge reason why this film is even happening.

Humpty
09-21-2010, 05:40 PM
The decision isn't Reynolds'. That is just what the articles are cooking up to get hits.

If the decision was solely down to Reynolds, there wouldn't even be a question about it. He's wanted to make that movie for 8 years. Then he drops out at the final moment? Heh, not at all.

It's all down to Fox getting the pieces in place.

And the appeal of Deadpool? The appeal is the fact that he is totally unique. He's tragic... yet funny. And he spits in the face of superhero/comic book cliches and stereotypes. The comic book movie industry needs a movie like Deadpool. There is too many superhero movies these days, there could be a audience burn out. Then along comes Deadpool and tells it how it is... there is too many cliche, stereotypical superhero movies.

Edit: And to the guy who said Deadpool is a cliche anti hero? Dear god man, if you know nothing about a character don't speak about them. Deadpool is the exact opposite if cliche. There is literally no other characters in the entire world of comics like him.

Also, people keep mentioning that GL is more lucrative financially. Well of course it is! Damn, it doesn't take a genius to work that out. But that point is irrelevent. Reynolds doesn't want to do the Deadpool movie to become a big star and earn loads of money... he wants to do it because, and this is an exact quote from the guy from 2002 "I feel like i came out of my mothers womb to play the merc with the mouth".

Sam
09-24-2010, 05:43 PM
I dont understand all the buzz about Deadpool. I dont see it as a franchise at all, and i have doubts if it will be any good in box office.

Besides, Deadpool was dead AWFUL in Wolverine movie (everything was awful on that movie, btw).

DonnyLebeau
09-27-2010, 02:51 PM
I think it's more the notion that he's playing characters from two long-time rival companies like Marvel and DC that people are so upset about.

And no, he's not the first. You've got Halle Berry playing Storm and ...catwoman... & James Marsden playing Cyclops and Richard White in Superman.

Reynolds was the logical choice for Deadpool and I thought he did a decent job in his limited speaking role.

However, Hal Jordan has zero sense of humor and is the serious, soldier type. Which I'm sure Reynolds can pull-off despites people's objections(See Ledger as Joker, Downey as Iron Man), but it will leave people skeptical until it finally happens.

Tony Stark
09-29-2010, 01:21 PM
It's too bad Deadpool is at Fox. That could have been a great movie.

Octoberist
09-29-2010, 07:32 PM
In the end, Ryan did the right thing by choosing Green Lantern. He wouldn't have 'The Change-Up', 'Safe House', or 'RIPD' if he turned it down.

JeetKuneDo
09-30-2010, 12:38 AM
I dont understand all the buzz about Deadpool. I dont see it as a franchise at all, and i have doubts if it will be any good in box office.

Besides, Deadpool was dead AWFUL in Wolverine movie (everything was awful on that movie, btw).

There was a character named "Deadpool" in that movie...RR even played a really good version of Wade. But whatever that was at the end, it wasn't Deadpool.