PDA

View Full Version : Misconceptions of the Green Lantern

Pages : [1] 2

Octoberist
11-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Hey everybody,

To freshen things up, this is the thread where we can discuss the misconceptions of the Green Lantern, from the weakness of the color yellow to the power of a 'magical' ring.

I was inspired to make this thread because sometimes I would read input from people who are not familiar with the comics. On one message board, someone posted "Out of all of the DC characters, they're making a movie about the Green Lantern? Jezz". Or "I thought the Green Lantern was black. This movie sucks!", referring to John Stewart's role in the animated Justice League series. In another, someone said "Someone is powered by..a ring. Green Lantern is the lamest superhero ever".

(Of course, there's the Lord of the Rings, so I guess that's a 'lame' story too? Not to mention that Blackest Night is the best selling series right now in comics. IN COMICS. not just DC.)

If you ask me, this is the perfect time for a Green Lantern movie.

So..of course, these are ill-informed people out there and I'm wondering if any of one have dealt with it. When the movie arrives, of course, it'll hopefully change their minds on the property.

JokerLedger
11-04-2009, 07:33 PM
DC/WB seems to be pimping Green Lantern right now giving him as much exposure as possible because of the live action movie. I think that's a pretty smart move... I don't recall Marvel doing that with Iron Man.

Octoberist
11-04-2009, 07:42 PM
i think it's just in good timing. Geoff Johns has been playing out his trilogy (Rebirth, Sinestro Corps, and Blackest Night) since 2004. no question in my mind that when Green Lantern hits 2011, he'll be an A lister finally (if he isn't already)

SuperFerret
11-04-2009, 07:47 PM
The GL ring was weak to the color yellow, and since there's no real explanation to how it works, it might as well be "magic" (then there's Clarke's Third Law). I see no "misconceptions" here.

Octoberist
11-04-2009, 08:05 PM
i'm going at is that some people are thing Green Lantern still has that ' silver age yellow' weakness where you if you could easily defeat one with a stick of butter. Now it's not the case obviously. Just there's a lot ill informed people out there.

dnno1
11-04-2009, 08:25 PM
DC/WB seems to be pimping Green Lantern right now giving him as much exposure as possible because of the live action movie. I think that's a pretty smart move... I don't recall Marvel doing that with Iron Man.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51yZwfOCzpL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Actually, they did, In 2007, Marvel released "The Invincible Iron Man" DTV in the run up to the release of the live action film. It did pretty well (sold over 250,000 copies in its first week in release) comparatively speaking. Heavily marketing the character is a smart move, since it has worked so well with both "Batman" '89 and TDK (although these films took different marketing approaches.

Changeling
11-04-2009, 09:34 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51yZwfOCzpL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Actually, they did, In 2007, Marvel released "The Invincible Iron Man" DTV in the run up to the release of the live action film. It did pretty well (sold over 250,000 copies in its first week in release) comparatively speaking. Heavily marketing the character is a smart move, since it has worked so well with both "Batman" '89 and TDK (although these films took different marketing approaches.

That's nothing compared to GL's marketing lately. So that doesnt compare at all..

dnno1
11-04-2009, 09:43 PM
That's nothing compared to GL's marketing lately. So that doesnt compare at all..

The only thing I've seen DC do is put out a DTV and are currently running a limited series based on Green Lantern. Marvel did pretty much the same with Iron Man (the DTV and "Civil War"). This is nothing compared to what was done twenty years ago with Batman. What are you talking about?

The Showstopper
11-04-2009, 11:50 PM
The GL ring was weak to the color yellow, and since there's no real explanation to how it works, it might as well be "magic" (then there's Clarke's Third Law). I see no "misconceptions" here.

Actually there is a scientific explanation. In the DC Universe there is an emotional spectrum just like the visible light spectrum, Green=Will power, Blue=Hope, Yellow=Fear, ect. The central power battery on Oa collects the will power emmited from all beings in the universe and channels it through the power rings giving a green lantern their power. Yes i am a nerd and i love it!!!!

The Showstopper
11-04-2009, 11:53 PM
Oh also, they explained why they couldnt affect yellow objects. Parallex, a being made of pure fear was captured and contained in the Central Power Battery on Oa, so when the Green Lanterns tapped into the batterys power their was a yellow impurity in the battey thus affecting their ability to manipulate yellow objects with their will

Octoberist
11-05-2009, 01:04 AM
well all of that came in when Geoff Johns came on aboard. But there's still people that think currently that it's still the Silver Age mythos. That, and Hal is boring when currently (thanks to Johns) he's not.

Webhead2006
11-05-2009, 01:08 AM
I myself dont know much on any of the Green lantern characters. But i cant wait to see how things go.

Octoberist
11-05-2009, 01:12 AM
glad that you have an open mind.

I didn't get into Green Lantern until maybe..Rebirth.

Even then, I always thought that Green Lantern was a cool concept and would make a great movie. It just puzzles me when I read comments like "How can you make a ring that can make giant hands seriously, without people laughing at it?" Honestly, I think it's just cool from the get go.

I really hope that the movie takes advantage of the constructs. Make Hal create..a T-Rex out of his ring. Make it cool.

Webhead2006
11-05-2009, 01:22 AM
Well comics wise i am more a marvel guy, but for cartoons/live action films i am open to any all all that peak my interests and all that.

dnno1
11-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Actually there is a scientific explanation. In the DC Universe there is an emotional spectrum just like the visible light spectrum, Green=Will power, Blue=Hope, Yellow=Fear, ect. The central power battery on Oa collects the will power emmited from all beings in the universe and channels it through the power rings giving a green lantern their power. Yes i am a nerd and i love it!!!!

From what I gather from this New Earth theory, Ion is the embodiment of the green-willpower energy and was placed in the central power battery to counter the yellow-fearpower energy of Parallax. This new theory (which is just a refinement of the original explanation from the Silver Age) leads to the posiblilty of other emotional spectrum based symbiotes. The Star Saphire's Predator being evidence of that.

Figs
11-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Well comics wise i am more a marvel guy, but for cartoons/live action films i am open to any all all that peak my interests and all that.

This is pretty much how I am. Only DC comic I got into in my younger years was Batman. With that being said, I am looking forward to most comic films, not just Marvel ones. This one as well as any others DC can get rolling...like The Flash. I remember watching the TV show of that when I was a kid and would love for them to make a movie.

I don't know much at all about Green Lantern other than what the ring can do but the material itself sounds promising for a very entertaining film.

Webhead2006
11-05-2009, 06:20 PM
yea like i said i am down for any comic book cartoon/tv show/movies that peak my interest.

Octoberist
11-05-2009, 06:28 PM
I love DC..maybe more so than Marvel...but I think they mishandled their characters (besides Batman and Superman) for a while until the 2000s. You have to keep in mind that when Marvel became big in the 60s, they were the new kid on the block and were more modern. You can say that Spider-Man was (at the time) the new Superman for the 60s generation. So DC had to catch up with the times and they didn't until the 80s with the Frank Millers and Alan Moores of the comic book world.

SuperFerret
11-05-2009, 06:56 PM

Even then, there's no scientific way to measure, gauge, or even define what an emotion is or what makes them different from each other on a measurable level. It's not like we can excrete willpower in any measurable form.

sdc10
11-10-2009, 10:57 PM

Well they may also be "pimping" him because GL consistently stays as one of the best thing DC has going for it due in no small part to Geoff John's writing. I mean the Sinestro Corps War is what really sucked me into GL. Im reading the trades and am loving the build up to Blackest Night.

That-Guy
01-08-2010, 11:52 AM
It is strange, but I've talked to some casual superhero fans (i.e. ones who see the movies but don't read many of the comics) about how excited I am for a GL film and they've had a "meh" reaction to the whole thing. I guess it does just boil down to people being misinformed or simply not knowing much about the character. Everyone has heard of him and people know about the power ring thing, but that's as far as it goes for people who didn't grow up with Super Friends and have never read comic books. The Justice League series gave GL some exposure, but since it was John Stewart, a lot of novices aren't familiar with Hal Jordan.

I guess it will all come down to how cool the trailer looks for these people, in addition to the other cast announcements. Ryan Reynolds of course is pretty popular, but he's not huge yet... however, if they stock this thing with some other notable names, then it will get a lot more buzz. I'd liken it to the way Thor is turning out. I'm not a big fan of Thor, but I'm excited for the film because Kenneth Brannagh is a great director and he's stocking that movie with some high-level talent.

Octoberist
01-08-2010, 12:59 PM
I agree that it'll come down to the trailer.

Green Lantern has been kicking butt in the comics, being one of DC's best selling series. I think the movie will just add more to the fanbase.

I'll bring it up again: There was a guy online trash talking Green Lantern just to bait a fight, stating that a superhero with a ring is stupid. "Why not have a power necklace" he said.

Then I brought up Lord of the Rings, and he shut up. In fact, I think 'powerful rings' has been around since Biblical times, being mentioned in some religions too. owned

That-Guy
01-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Yeah, exactly. And it's not like GL is the only comic book character to use a power ring. The Mandarin's got 10 of them.

Chris B
01-08-2010, 04:11 PM
I guess it will all come down to how cool the trailer looks for these people, in addition to the other cast announcements.

I agree. That's why I'm not really concerned about any of the misconceptions about GL because I don't doubt that once people get a taste of the possibilities the character offers, they'll be interested. Maybe I'm just being too overly optimistic, but I really think GL could be the next big thing as long as Campbell and co. produce a solid film and WB throws a strong marketing campaign behind it.

dnno1
01-08-2010, 09:05 PM
i think it's just in good timing. Geoff Johns has been playing out his trilogy (Rebirth, Sinestro Corps, and Blackest Night) since 2004. no question in my mind that when Green Lantern hits 2011, he'll be an A lister finally (if he isn't already)

I am sure that they had that planed to coincide all along.

It is strange, but I've talked to some casual superhero fans (i.e. ones who see the movies but don't read many of the comics) about how excited I am for a GL film and they've had a "meh" reaction to the whole thing. I guess it does just boil down to people being misinformed or simply not knowing much about the character. Everyone has heard of him and people know about the power ring thing, but that's as far as it goes for people who didn't grow up with Super Friends and have never read comic books. The Justice League series gave GL some exposure, but since it was John Stewart, a lot of novices aren't familiar with Hal Jordan.

I guess it will all come down to how cool the trailer looks for these people, in addition to the other cast announcements. Ryan Reynolds of course is pretty popular, but he's not huge yet... however, if they stock this thing with some other notable names, then it will get a lot more buzz. I'd liken it to the way Thor is turning out. I'm not a big fan of Thor, but I'm excited for the film because Kenneth Brannagh is a great director and he's stocking that movie with some high-level talent.

Yeah, how cool the trailer looks and word of mouth. They've got a little over a year left to market this project. Sure, the comic book fans may be sold on this, but we are going to need a lot more than us to make this a solid franchise. That's why I had proposed luring in fans from the (SciFi/Fantasy genre. Green Lantern can appeal to them, especially Star Wars and Star Trek fans). If the WB marketed Green Lantern just like they did Star Wars: Episode IV, Batman '89 and TDK, it will do pretty well. Just for the record, SWANH was marketed at the SciFi conventions and the buzz about the SFX made it take off. Batman '89 used parphenalia such at T-shirts with the batsignal and such all over shopping malls around the country to stir up interest. TDK used viral marketing to sell the film. Seeing the success of performance capture and 3D film in Avatar, I wonder if there is time to integrate that into the project or if they are even planning to do that now?

Webhead2006
01-08-2010, 11:16 PM
yea with the film i am sure it will help give the GL character a mass appeal like ironman movie did for ironman for non fans.

kedrell
01-09-2010, 09:04 AM
If WB/DC is smart, they'll take a page from Favreau's playbook on how to take your little known B-lister to A-lister status. Have something cool to show at SDCC'10 and really start building the buzz from there with the general public. This goes for Thor as well, but I'm pretty confident that Marvel already knows that.

Ace of Knaves
01-09-2010, 09:24 AM
I like the Green Lantern mythos. But I don't really like Hal Jordan. He has the charisma of a mop bucket (and yes I'm including under Johns. I've read Rebirth, Recharge, SCW and Blackest Night). Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner are more interesting Lanterns IMO.

But let's hope Reynolds can inject some charisma and likability into the role. Which I'm pretty confident he can.

terry78
01-09-2010, 11:45 AM
There will be actual rings made and sold for people to buy. That much is already certain.

Webhead2006
01-09-2010, 07:28 PM
well that is a def good marketing item to work with and sell. i do hope they do well with promoting the film like tdk did with batman or what marvel did with im.

JLU51306
02-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Even then, there's no scientific way to measure, gauge, or even define what an emotion is or what makes them different from each other on a measurable level. It's not like we can excrete willpower in any measurable form.

In all fictionality, a GL ring -is- the outlet to release Willpower -into- a measurable form. You can't try to have science explain everything fictional about superheroes. There's no reason for why Superman can fly, other than that he does, or why a GL can release his will through a ring, but they do.

dnno1
02-01-2010, 08:38 AM

Emotions are a multifaceted phenomenon. We can measure (in humans) only components of it (like smiling, amusement, or increased heart rate). Sure, we as humans are not sophisticated enough to know the ins and outs of emotions, but, in the Green Lantern mythos, it is presumed that the Guardians of Oa are so advanced that they have long since developed a way to not only measure and quantify it in all beings, but harness their entropic energies. This is a concept where we have to suspend our disblief a little bit to understand it.

ultimatefan
02-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Letīs face it, most people outside of comic book readers may at best vaguely remember Hal Jordan from the Super Friends cartoon, or they saw the JOhn Stewart version on the JL cartoons. They may have a vague idea of what the power ring does and what a GL is, but not much more than that.

dnno1
02-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Well, at least the younger folks do. I think that most folks over the age of 25 that watched cartoons in the 1980's know of Hal Jordan. In fact, if you have Boomerang, you can still catch the cartoons featuring him. Furthermore, fortunately or unfortunately, you don't see very many people complaining that John Stewart is not in the picture.

Ace of Knaves
02-01-2010, 08:58 AM
I did. When Reynolds was first announced LOADS of articles comments and other message boards had people like "I thought GL was black".

The GA might know who GL is, but they don't know who Hal Jordan is. But it doesn't matter, I'm not one of these fools who thinks only big name characters deserve their shots at the big time.

dnno1
02-01-2010, 09:25 AM
I don't know how one could conclude that most people in the General Audience wouldn't know there was more than one GL just from a number of posts to some online articles. Furthermore, if you saw loads of comments from folks thinking that GL was black, you should have (unfortuantely) also seen the boat loads more complaining that he was (and not Hal Jordan). I don't want to belive that the General Audience doesn't know who hal Jordan is, and even so, the more than likely won't mind.

Ace of Knaves
02-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Well course they won't mind. I'm not saying that. I mean, at the end of the day GAs don't give a crap about comic book accuracy. They don't watch superhero/comic book films because they are simply superhero/comic book films like we do. They watch them to be entertained. End of story.

ultimatefan
02-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Yeah, if people enjoy the movie, they wonīt care if GL is Hal or John or whatever, heīs not like Spider-Man, everybody knows heīs Peter Parker, or everybody knows Batman is Bruce Wayne.

Still, if you donīt have strong/selling comics to inspire the movie, it tends to get hard to get it done, cuz they inspire the material, even if itīs not totally accurate. If the Geoff Johns/Ethan Van Sciver run hadnīt turned GL into a comics superstar, the movie wouldnīt be on such a fast track. Itīs no surprise itīs much harder for them to figure out Wonder Woman, she wasnīt one of the top-selling characters even with talents like George Perez and Greg Rucka behind her.

Ace of Knaves
02-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Yea that's true, I agree with you to an extent.

But see my mentality is, they don't have to be a famous/a-list character to be a great character and have great stories.

I mean guys like Nova for instance, or Captain Marvel or countless others. Barely anyone knows who they are, Nova's comics barely sell 20k a month. But they are fantastic characters and if they had movies I'm sure they'd be great.

See, I can't stand the mentality of some people who think only big name characters are worthy of films or games or whatever. Big name doesn't automatically equal great character.

Webhead2006
02-01-2010, 06:39 PM
so true there guys.

Mr. Earle
02-01-2010, 09:46 PM
That's nothing compared to GL's marketing lately. So that doesnt compare at all..How are they marketing GL?
All the marketing i know of are the rings they were giving with issues of Blackest Night, to lure non fans i would assume.

Mr. Earle
02-01-2010, 09:51 PM
The GL ring was weak to the color yellow, and since there's no real explanation to how it works, it might as well be "magic" (then there's Clarke's Third Law). I see no "misconceptions" here.Even then, there's no scientific way to measure, gauge, or even define what an emotion is or what makes them different from each other on a measurable level. It's not like we can excrete willpower in any measurable form.

What he says: Actually there is a scientific explanation. In the DC Universe there is an emotional spectrum just like the visible light spectrum, Green=Will power, Blue=Hope, Yellow=Fear, ect. The central power battery on Oa collects the will power emmited from all beings in the universe and channels it through the power rings giving a green lantern their power. Yes i am a nerd and i love it!!!!
Also, the rings are not magical, but high tech gadgets that can use this form of energy, the emotional spectrum.

Its also very interesting to consider that in real life, fear can overcome willpower and vice versa. So its normal that the GLs have a problem with fear and its Lanterns. Also, the Blue Lanterns that use hope arent very powerful. But near a Green Lantern (hope is nothing without willpower) they grow a lot more powerful.

Interesting stuff, right?

Mr. Earle
02-01-2010, 09:57 PM
I like the Green Lantern mythos. But I don't really like Hal Jordan. He has the charisma of a mop bucket (and yes I'm including under Johns. I've read Rebirth, Recharge, SCW and Blackest Night). Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner are more interesting Lanterns IMO.

But let's hope Reynolds can inject some charisma and likability into the role. Which I'm pretty confident he can.
I agree. Hal is such a Mary Sue. I really loathe the special treatment he gets. Yeah i know its his book, but you never get the feeling that he is part of some corps, more like they re there to serve him.
I never got that feeling with Kyle, or any other earth Lantern for that matter.
Kyle and JLU Stewart are the best in my book. Guy is more of a breakout - comic relief character to me.

Anubis
02-01-2010, 09:57 PM
....Alan "f**king" Scott's ring was magic.....

Mr. Earle
02-01-2010, 10:00 PM
....Alan "f**king" Scott's ring was magic.....
Yeah, i think so, but that's a different type of ring anyway.
But i think that in the film they'll treat him as a GL veteran. Like as if he actually served in the corps. Which is much simpler to the weird origin he has in the comics.

SuperFerret
02-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Refer to Clarke's Third Law. Obviously, were magic a discernible reality, there's the potential that it could be studied scientifically. That's really all I have to say.

Anubis
02-01-2010, 10:03 PM
It's not that weird. :(

Guardians tried to contain wild magic, condensed it into the starheart, f**king lost it, ended up on Earth where some dude found it and he became the baddest mofo ever to rock a purple pimp cape.

Mr. Earle
02-01-2010, 10:07 PM
It's not that weird. :(

Guardians tried to contain wild magic, condensed it into the starheart, f**king lost it, ended up on Earth where some dude found it and he became the baddest mofo ever to rock a purple pimp cape.
I think he wrote a book or something...

The book on willpower! :hehe:

protocida
02-02-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm a big fan of Hal's portrayal by Johns. He's basicly John McClane... with a POWER RING! :awesome:

dnno1
02-02-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm a big fan of Hal's portrayal by Johns. He's basicly John McClane... with a POWER RING! :awesome:

John McCain.

Ace of Knaves
02-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Hal Jordan similar to John McClane? :funny: :hehe: :funny:

protocida
02-02-2010, 01:58 PM
John McCain.
http://memegenerator.net/Instances/87/Raging-Atrocitus-GODDAM-IT-DNNO1-.jpg

protocida
02-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Hal Jordan similar to John McClane? :funny: :hehe: :funny:
Yeah. Watch carefully and you'll see it too.

dnno1
02-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Like that poster.

Ace of Knaves
02-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Yeah. Watch carefully and you'll see it too.

I'm not a fan of Hal, at all really. But I respect others opinions.

But comparing him to John friggin McClane?!?! Seriously? There is nothing about Hal Jordan that is even remotely similar to John McClane.

dnno1
02-02-2010, 02:18 PM
John McClane was in "Die Hard". He wasn't a pilot. And Hal Jordan doesn't swear like him.

Mr. Earle
02-02-2010, 02:19 PM
John McClane was in "Die Hard". He wasn't a pilot. And Hal Jordan doesn't swear like him.So anyone who is a cop and swears a lot is like John McClane? :huh:

Anubis
02-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Hal Jordan is like, you know lucky charms? The cereal? Well, you know how theres the marshmallows, yellow moons, purple stars, or whatever, and then theres that.....bland tasting, fiber stuff? Yeah, Hal is the bland tasting fiber stuff.

That said, I'm sure they can make him somewhat less bland in the movie. I mean, It's Ryan Reynolds. He couldn't be bland if he tried.

dnno1
02-02-2010, 02:31 PM
So anyone who is a cop and swears a lot is like John McClane? :huh:

Certainly Hal Jordan isn't.

Ace of Knaves
02-02-2010, 02:32 PM
:funny: that is a great analogy Nubs.

But yea you are right about Reynolds. Reynolds is the best thing to ever happen to Hal Jordan.

Hound55
02-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Bloody hell, someone really did say it...

protocida
02-02-2010, 02:47 PM
If there's a bland Green Lantern, it's comics John Stewart.

Anubis
02-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Lets be honest here, they're both a big ole mayonnaise sandwich.

Hound55
02-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Lets be honest here, they're both a big ole mayonnaise sandwich.
...on week old bread.

Octoberist
02-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Let's skip the most obvious aspects and get down to the nitty gritty. John McClain was suppose to be the everyday man. Though I would like Hal to have the suavness of Han Solo.

Hound55
02-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Let's skip the most obvious aspects and get down to the nitty gritty. John McClain was suppose to be the everyday man. Though I would like Hal to have the suavness of Han Solo.
No. Lets go through EVERY aspect.

Because I'm trying to wrap my head around how John McClane is the comparison you come up with out of everyone in the world (fictional or not).

Octoberist
02-02-2010, 03:07 PM
i think you just completely miss the point of my entire post. By the way, I'm not the dude who came up with McClaine; it was Dnno I think.

People, for some odd reason or another, would focus on Bruce's hairline, his cussing, his job, etc. And I just said "Hey, he's the everyday man".

I'm not saying he's the ideal comparison to Hal, but I kinda get it. John McClaine is not suppose to be the action hero that he appears to be in the sequels, especially Live Free or Die Hard. He's a guy who gets in over his head in a big unbelievable situation. And there is earnestness to Bruce Willis' perforamnce as McClaine and that's why he's an icon.

Hound55
02-02-2010, 03:07 PM
He's male.
He's white.
He's... American.
He's... hmm... oh. He's got a comic series now based on stuff before the first movie. So there's something, I guess...

Well, I'm stuck.

Octoberist
02-02-2010, 03:11 PM
wow. you're just in your little world, aren't you? I'm joking.

Hound55
02-02-2010, 03:12 PM
He's mundane is what he is.

McClane gets thrust into situations he doesn't ask for and would honestly prefer to not have to deal with.

Hal Jordan is a man who has zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzz...whu? Sorry, I just managed to send myself to sleep...

Ace of Knaves
02-02-2010, 03:13 PM
See the thing is, John McClane has more personality and charisma in his glass shredded toes than Hal Jordan does in his entire body.

Ace of Knaves
02-02-2010, 03:15 PM
He's mundane is what he is.

McClane gets thrust into situations he doesn't ask for and would honestly prefer to not have to deal with.

Hal Jordan is a man who has zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzz...whu? Sorry, I just managed to send myself to sleep...

Hal's like one of those guys who is like...

"C'mon guys! We can't give up! We have to keep fighting for truth and justice! bla bla bla other really try hard heroic things to say"

And you just want to punch him in the face for it.

Anubis
02-02-2010, 03:21 PM
He just lacks any kind of depth. He's a cardboard cut out of a superhero.

Webhead2006
02-02-2010, 03:21 PM
i know next to nothing of how the gl characters are in the comic world but from what i read about various characters online and from what folks say each gl has their good and bad points about them. As for the film i am sure they will do good things with the gl characters and make them fresh and exciting characters to watch.

Hound55
02-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Hal's like one of those guys who is like...

"C'mon guys! We can't give up! We have to keep fighting for truth and justice! bla bla bla other really try hard heroic things to say"

And you just want to punch him in the face for it.
Or in the throat...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2066/2319497055_c59319e13e.jpg

Ah, what a glorious day that was...

Anubis
02-02-2010, 03:26 PM
i know next to nothing of how the gl characters are in the comic world but from what i read about various characters online and from what folks say each gl has their good and bad points about them. As for the film i am sure they will do good things with the gl characters and make them fresh and exciting characters to watch.

Well sure. That's the thing about a movie or a cartoon. You can pretty much change the character however you like. Like what Timm and company did with John Stewart.

Anubis
02-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Or in the throat...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2066/2319497055_c59319e13e.jpg

Ah, what a glorious day that was...

:fhm:

Ace of Knaves
02-02-2010, 04:00 PM
haha what's that from?

Anubis
02-02-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm going to guess secret Origin, but I could be wrong.

Mr. Earle
02-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Its Robin, painted yellow, in room that has been painted yellow, beating the crap out of Hal Jordan after he's stolen his ring. Take a guess....
Frank Miller's All-Star Batman and Robin

Ace of Knaves
02-02-2010, 04:08 PM
lol i thought All Star was crap? That picture leads me to believe it's ****ing awesome.

Mr. Earle
02-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Some say that its Miller satirizing grimdark Batman. Others say that Miller had gone insane and writes whatever comes to his mind.
In any case, most people will admit that its fun as long as you dont take it seriously.

In that scene Batman wanted to meet Hal and he had Robin paint the room yellow. They even painted themselves yellow. Hal arrives and from the get go Batman is in his face insulting him and making fun of him. Robin steals his ring and then beats him up. In the Millerverse everyone sucks and is inferior to the almighty goddamn Batman.

Wesley Dodds
02-02-2010, 04:17 PM
No, no! All star is crap, all right! Pure, fetid crap!
It's jim lee's artwork that's ****ing awesome!

Ace of Knaves
02-02-2010, 04:19 PM
If it's satire, it's awesome.

If it's meant to be serious...?

Then another :dry: for Mr Miller.

protocida
02-02-2010, 04:21 PM
It is. Superman is a bipolar man with God complex; Wonder-Woman is a sadomasochist feminist who only gets turned on by a good old punch in the face; Green Lantern is a complete idiot who stops his search for Batman in order to grab a hot-dog; Plastic Man is completelly useless; Batgirl is an incompetent version of Hit-Girl; Black Canary is a nymphomanic irish female Tyler Durden who has the hots for Batman and gets pissed when drunken men hit on her even tough she works in a bar whose skimpy outfit is a must; The Joker is an emo yakuza with a big dragon tatoo on his back, who likes to pick up chicks, bone them and kill them while thinking how much he loves Gotham City in his OWN. SPECIAL. WAY.

It's awesome!

Ace of Knaves
02-02-2010, 04:22 PM
haha thanks man, imma try pick a few up then. Loves me some satire.

Wesley Dodds
02-02-2010, 04:24 PM
If it's satire, it's awesome.

If it's meant to be serious...?

Then another :dry: for Mr Miller.

I think people are being altogether too kind to frank miller when they say it's satire, at this point in his career I genuinely think the guys lost his freaking mind.

MMMMM...Pancakes
02-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Don't know if this was posted but, kids that watched JLU cartoon and don't read comics probably think that John Stewart is the only Green Lantern.

Webhead2006
02-02-2010, 04:39 PM
well i hope the film does well for all the characters in the movie and treats the characters as they should be.

protocida
02-02-2010, 04:42 PM
:woot:

Ace of Knaves
02-02-2010, 04:43 PM
I think people are being altogether too kind to frank miller when they say it's satire, at this point in his career I genuinely think the guys lost his freaking mind.

hehe that totally wouldn't surprise me.

thegameq
02-02-2010, 04:47 PM
I don't get it....

I'm no GL afficionado, but from listening to the GL fans on the hype, it's sounds obvious that Hal Jordan isn't much of a character. So other than the historical ties, why is he the main character for the movie rather than one of the more popular Lanterns?

Is his character really as boring and shallow as some of you are making him out to be?

Mr. Earle
02-02-2010, 04:47 PM
It is. Superman is a bipolar man with God complex; Wonder-Woman is a sadomasochist feminist who only gets turned on by a good old punch in the face; Green Lantern is a complete idiot who stops his search for Batman in order to grab a hot-dog; Plastic Man is completelly useless; Batgirl is an incompetent version of Hit-Girl; Black Canary is a nymphomanic irish female Tyler Durden who has the hots for Batman and gets pissed when drunken men hit on her even tough she works in a bar whose skimpy outfit is a must; The Joker is an emo yakuza with a big dragon tatoo on his back, who likes to pick up chicks, bone them and kill them while thinking how much he loves Gotham City in his OWN. SPECIAL. WAY.

It's awesome!
Sounds pretty funny (i've only read a few issues) but writing this kind of satire is easy. Its like the equivalent of fart jokes in Revenge of the Fallen. I mean i could do this just as easily.

If you want some classy and discreet satire on Batman, while also reading great stories, you guys should read Morrison's JLA. Its basically Morrison making fun of the overly grimdark and hax Batman. Searching for character development writers had brought him to the border of insanity and his stories were very dark during the 90ies. Morrison satirizes this in his JLA. Its like catching a kid smoking and forcing it to smoke the whole package so that it will never smoke again.

In just the first issue Batman sneaks in the JL tower and he basks that Superman didnt hear his heartbeat because of a new gadget he invented. Morrison also introduced "tt" and "hh", sounds batman often makes when he is secretly boasting about something to himself. In another story Morrison tries to make fun of the Batgod and his preptime by giving him a secret room in the batcave, filled with alien technology such as UFOs, weapons and nanotechnology. And so on.

Unfortunately nobody got the joke at the time and because the series was successful, the other writers continued to write Batman that way with terrible results. "Morrison said that Batman has a room filled with nanotechnology. What if he uses it to program the human race and extinguish crime?"

Thankfully Morrison later took over the Batman book and turned it away from grimdark. He even gave Batman psychotherapy via a spiritual procedure in Thibet.

I think that's a lot better than easy laughs on Hal because "lol he is stupeed", "Superman is an arrogant douche" and "WW is a whore".

Webhead2006
02-02-2010, 04:48 PM
personally as i said i dont know much on any of the earth lanterns in the comics. But i dont think there is anything wrong with hal or the others.

Mr. Earle
02-02-2010, 04:58 PM
I don't get it....

I'm no GL afficionado, but from listening to the GL fans on the hype, it's sounds obvious that Hal Jordan isn't much of a character. So other than the historical ties, why is he the main character for the movie rather than one of the more popular Lanterns?

Is his character really as boring and shallow as some of you are making him out to be?Because Hal is the most loved GL out there and in his universe he is supposedly the best Lantern of his corps.

John Stewart and Guy Gardner have never assumed the role of the protagonist, while Kyle was Hal's successor and the new protagonist when Hal died.
But the thing is that Hal didnt stay dead for too long and he came back replacing Kyle as the GL of earth's sector. Besides, Hal was the first human to ever join the corps and before him humans didnt even know about it.

I suppose its like Barry and Wally, only that Barry has been dead for over 20 years and he recently came back out of ****ing nowhere and for no reason other than nostalgia.

Besides, i'm sure that they'll write a more interesting Hal than the comics one. With Reynolds on board, i'm sure they'll give him a RDJ Stark vibe.

protocida
02-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Here's more "All-Star Batman and Robin" goodness :woot: :

This is Vicki Vale, ace reporter from the Gotham Gazette. She thinks Batman is a freak and has the hots for Bruce Wayne and Batman. Did I mention she's a WHOREWHOREWHOREWHORE?
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_IVuxkTDh_cc/SHWoZGTdnkI/AAAAAAAABgY/c5Ea7Dj6ERE/s1600/Vicki%2BVale.jpg

This is Black Canary, an irish barmaid and champion of female underground fight club. She has the hots for Batman. Oh, and she's also a WHOREWHOREWHOREWHOREWHORE.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IVuxkTDh_cc/SHWoWDVWeXI/AAAAAAAABgQ/pSy3Kn4ikZ4/s1600/Black%2BCanary%2BNoir.jpg

This is Wonder-Woman, princess of Themyscera and men hater (Or, as she likes to call it, "sperm sacks") in general. She does, however, loves to be smacked arround. Guessed it? WHOREWHOREWHOREWHOREWHORE.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_IVuxkTDh_cc/SHWoQGbRAqI/AAAAAAAABgA/ht0UeDEw-oU/s1600/Wonder%2BWoman%2B2.jpg

This is Alfred, 60 years old butler and soap opera star wannabe. His favorite thing in the whole wide world? WHORESWHORESWHORESWHORESWHORESWHORES!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IVuxkTDh_cc/SHWoKg2IpWI/AAAAAAAABfw/IgMKYsVTUjM/s1600/Morbid%2BAlfred.jpg

This is Superman, the bipolar God Complex-ridden Metropolis Man of Steel. He sure knows likes himself some WHORESWHORESWHORESWHORESWHORESWHORESWHORES!!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_IVuxkTDh_cc/SHWnVDGsKeI/AAAAAAAABeo/Yv27-imqDDY/s1600/You%2Bmake%2Bme%2Bsick%2B1.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IVuxkTDh_cc/SHWnSZlJ0BI/AAAAAAAABeg/M9HqDRezTLw/s1600/You%2Bmake%2Bme%2Bsick%2B2.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IVuxkTDh_cc/SHWnPVCtj9I/AAAAAAAABeY/JkaFAFXtFyU/s1600/You%2Bmake%2Bme%2Bsick%2B3.jpg

protocida
02-02-2010, 05:02 PM
But if there's someone who gets the ladies's motors going, that someone is the ****ing GODDAM BATMAN! WHORESWHORESWHORESSAVEHOTWOULDBERAPEVICTIMSWHORESW HORESSEXONTHERAINWHORESWHORESWHORESWHORESWHORES!!! !!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IVuxkTDh_cc/SHWo17azBWI/AAAAAAAABhw/vIz5iEVtavw/s400/Violent+Batman.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IVuxkTDh_cc/SHWnIdFtN-I/AAAAAAAABeQ/5VdNUqmhjaQ/s1600/Sex%2Bon%2Bthe%2Bpier.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_IVuxkTDh_cc/SHWpDqYmj6I/AAAAAAAABiY/bRg1q8dhkKg/s1600/Goddamn%2BBatman%2B5.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IVuxkTDh_cc/SHWnjfoR8ZI/AAAAAAAABfQ/YJTEjhkhv2w/s1600/Batmobile%2BQueer%2B3.jpg

So, yeah. WHORESWHORESWHORESWHORESWHORESWHORESWHORESWHORESWH ORESWHORESWHORESWHORESWHORESWHORESWHORESWHORESWHOR ESWHORESWHORESWHORESWHORES!!

Wesley Dodds
02-02-2010, 05:02 PM
I never got the hal hate... He's essentially Han solo with superpowers! I mean, what's NOT to ****in love!?

Mr. Earle
02-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Superman only punched her? I would have incinerated her with heat vision.

Btw, i really like her tiara with the nose protection. JMC you're reading this?

Anubis
02-02-2010, 06:50 PM
I don't get it....

Is his character really as boring and shallow as some of you are making him out to be?

It's really the result of a rather unfortunate status quo shift. You see, Hal died. He went nuts, killed almost all the GL's, absorbed the entire main battery, and tried to remake the universe in his image, then died saving the solar system. Reigniting the sun or some bulls**t. Probably the best thing the character ever did that didn't involve Green Arrow. Gave him depth. You saw how far a man would go if he lost everything. Then came Rayner. The last GL. Given a ring seemingly at random by the last Guardian of the Universe. Told, "Eh, you'll do." And left to his own devices.

Now, skip ahead a little less than 15 years, and all of a sudden, Hal's back. Guess what? The whole going nuts and destroying the GL corps? Not. his. fault. Fear demon you say?!? Wow. So, guess what? Hal's back. All is forgiven. Lets just stick Rayner and the rest of the GL's in one book and call it a day.

What happened is, and this is much like the Barry Allen Situation, that an entire generation of comic readers grew up on Rayner. Then, all of a sudden, this boring relic, whose most redeeming quality was his decent into madness and death (erased through retcons I might add) is back. Everybody else is s**t outta luck. Long live the Silver Age.

So, it's not that everybody hates Hal. Far from it. It's a 50/50 thing. All you've really heard from so far is people who simply prefer the other GL's. Who knows where the Hal fans are right now. Cuz when all this s**t went down, the Green Lantern threads in the DC comics forums was not a place you wanted to be. Like cats and dogs in there. :argh:

Now I myself am an Alan "F**king" Scott man. So, whatevs. :o

None of this really matters though cuz a movie is a whole other kinda animal. Hal could actually be interesting. Same for Barry Allen if they ever get that Flash movie off the ground.

terry78
02-02-2010, 07:54 PM
The scene with the chick who's about to get assaulted smiling in the next panel as Batman basically beats the two dudes to a pulp kind of made me crack a smile the first time. She was seriously getting wet, and not due to the rain. :awesome:

Hound55
02-03-2010, 02:01 AM
I never got the hal hate... He's essentially Han solo with superpowers! I mean, what's NOT to ****in love!?
First he's John McClane now he's frickin' Han Solo..?

Don't make me post the Goddamn Robin hitting Goddamn Hal in the Goddamn throat again...

SuperFerret
02-03-2010, 02:09 AM

Except Han is able to have some sort of "Hey, he's a pretty okay guy" vibe show through the whole confident cocky exterior. I don't like Hal not for his supposed lack of personality, but the fact that the personality he does have would make me want to punch him in the face. Aside from Alan Scott, John Stewart is my favorite Earth GL.

Ace of Knaves
02-03-2010, 04:42 AM

He's nothing like Han Solo. For one, he is no where near as charismatic. For two, the guy is so stoic and by the book it makes you want to punch him in the face. For three, in most of his incarnations he is toooo perfect. People think Superman is a boy scout? Na... Hal Jordan is. And he's the annoying kind of boy scout. They type who would grass you up/tattletale if you was smoking weed in the tent.

Hound55
02-03-2010, 04:43 AM
Four, he has a ring that can do damn near anything yet his modus operandi is to use it to punch people in the face.

Ace of Knaves
02-03-2010, 04:46 AM
Four, he has a ring that can do damn near anything yet his modus operandi is to use it to punch people in the face.

HAHA so true.

Five. The best thing to ever happen to him, character development wise, was retconned.

protocida
02-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Parallax was one of the worst things to happen to Hal. He was completelly descharacterizated and turned into a villain just because he wasn't "cool" enough in 90's and DC wanted their own Peter Parker. Turning Parallax into the fear entity not only started one of the best comic books storylines in the last years as also made the Green Lantern mythos attractive to all fans. Also, you make it sound like Hal was made completelly innocent and Kyle was put on a bus never to be seen again. Not. The. Case. Hal was still somehow responsible for what happened. He felt fear. He wasn't strong enough and opened the door in which Parallax infected his soul. And alas, the Corps still pretty much hates him and he feels hella' guilty. And Kyle, after a good track of bad ideas and characterizations, was made into a very cool character, with an identity of his own and became the star of a title along Guy, another character who was turned into something good after a long run as an *******.

Ace of Knaves
02-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Well him turning bad actually gave him some much needed depth. I mean, he witnessed his home town and millions of innocents getting destroyed, I and no one else should begrudge him for going a little bit nuts. He wanted all that power for a good cause. But he did it in the wrong way. It made Hal have flaws, it made him a real HUMAN instead of as Anubis rightly puts it, a cardboard cut out cliche superhero.

Then they retconned it to "Oh hey guys it wasn't really me! It was a parasite!"

Mr. Earle
02-03-2010, 11:25 AM
So when Hal destroyed the corps, the battery and everything, how did the rest of the corps survive and power their rings?

And what's the status of the corps now? Is Oa, the battery, and the corps back to normal or are they still recuperating?

Ace of Knaves
02-03-2010, 11:27 AM
The Corps is recuperated, even stronger than before with 7000 plus members. Then Blackest Night came along.

Recharge and the main Green Lantern Corps series was better than any Hal Jordan book by Johns. Says it all really...

Mr. Earle
02-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Well him turning bad actually gave him some much needed depth. I mean, he witnessed his home town and millions of innocents getting destroyed, I and no one else should begrudge him for going a little bit nuts. He wanted all that power for a good cause. But he did it in the wrong way. It made Hal have flaws, it made him a real HUMAN instead of as Anubis rightly puts it, a cardboard cut out cliche superhero.

Then they retconned it to "Oh hey guys it wasn't really me! It was a parasite!"
Well as Protocida said, the destruction of his home town made him weak and allowed Parallax to get to him. In other words, he let his guard down, but he didnt turn into the Joker with a power ring.

protocida
02-03-2010, 11:30 AM
It was him. Influenced by Parallax, but still him. And, as Geoff Johns proved, you don't need to change everything about a character and make him into a villain out of nowhere to give him depth. Johns and Peter Tomasi made every single character of the GL mythos, including Hal, John, Guy and Kyle, into singular character, with much depth, without subverting their very principles.

Ace of Knaves
02-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Well as Protocida said, the destruction of his home town made him weak and allowed Parallax to get to him. In other words, he let his guard down, but he didnt turn into the Joker with a power ring.

Well, yea. It made him human. Not some flawless cliche superhero who is only popular because he's got cool powers.

But now he is back to being a cliche superhero who is only popular because he's got cool powers.

See, Hal Jordan is the epitome of that whole "powers over personality" thing. Seriously, if he wasn't a Green Lantern with that bad ass power ring he'd be nothing.

Ace of Knaves
02-03-2010, 11:34 AM
It was him. Influenced by Parallax, but still him. And, as Geoff Johns proved, you don't need to change everything about a character and make him into a villain out of nowhere to give him depth. Johns and Peter Tomasi made every single character of the GL mythos, including Hal, John, Guy and Kyle, into singular character, with much depth, without subverting their very principles.

What depth has Hal got though? Seriously, what would Hal be without his power ring? He'd be nothing. That is the sign of a crap character.

I'm not having a dig at people for liking Hal, no way. If people like him, fine. But it really does baffle the mind.

protocida
02-03-2010, 11:35 AM
He'd still be a brave pilot that fight for what he believes that's right.

Ace of Knaves
02-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Yea that's cool. But that isn't his actual personality. His personality is typical cliche hot shot, womanizing, fighter pilot.

You look at the likes of Tony Stark. Douche bag playboy who does some morally questionable things and is/was a piss head. But he's got a heart of gold.

Or Steve Rogers. The soldier who was used by his country as a propaganda tool but he grows into something more and doesn't allow himself to become a puppet of his government contradicting the American ideals he strongly believes in.

Superman the alien from another world who is basically a God but has real human emotions, flaws and ideals. An alien being the greatest role model for human kind.

Those are GREAT characters.

Mr. Earle
02-03-2010, 11:39 AM
I dont know much about the GLs, but JLU John Stewart (i know he is different from the comics) and Kyle are a lot better than Hal imho. As you guys pointed out, Kyle is somewhat like DC's Spiderman, while John is a no-bullcrap GL.
Hal to me is like a piece of cardboard.

protocida
02-03-2010, 11:41 AM
John is only no-bullcrap in the DCU. In the comics, he's as "cardboard cutout" as Hal, if not more. But guess who is changing that by making John a mix of his classic personality with the no-bullcrap ex-marine? Geoff Johns.

Mr. Earle
02-03-2010, 11:50 AM
John is only no-bullcrap in the DCU. In the comics, he's as "cardboard cutout" as Hal, if not more. But guess who is changing that by making John a mix of his classic personality with the no-bullcrap ex-marine? Geoff Johns.John was picked for the JL cartoon probably because they wanted "racial variety" in the team.
But since they picked him, they had to make him work, so Dini and his team actually developed him. I personally loved every minute of him, he had many badass moments, a love interest and his big brother relationship with Flash was simply hilarious.

It was only after the JL cartoon did something with John that the comics started to handle him as more than just a dude in the background (at least that's what i heard). I hope Johns will finally do him justice.

dnno1
02-03-2010, 12:52 PM
John was picked for the JL cartoon probably because they wanted "racial variety" in the team.
But since they picked him, they had to make him work, so Dini and his team actually developed him. I personally loved every minute of him, he had many badass moments, a love interest and his big brother relationship with Flash was simply hilarious.

It was only after the JL cartoon did something with John that the comics started to handle him as more than just a dude in the background (at least that's what i heard). I hope Johns will finally do him justice.

Actually John Stewart was in the series "Green Lantern: Mosaic" where he stared. It ran for about 18 issues. He was also featured in Green Lantern Volume 3 number #13 back in the early 1990's, so he he was handled more than just a background character in the past.

Octoberist
02-03-2010, 01:26 PM
I'm not an avid fan of Green Lantern (I do have some of the TPBs) but here are the debates going on:

For Hal: "Oh he needs to stoic and serious. I will never accept a funny Hal Jordan."

Against Hal: "Hal is such a paper thin boy scout."

I guess Hal can't catch a break. Either people are too much a purist, or there are too many people referencing the Hal Jordan from the Silver Age and not in the post-Rebirth days.

Ace of Knaves
02-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Silver Age and post-Rebirth Hal are practically the same though. Basically, Johns whole mission statement for the new GL status quo is "MOAR SILVER AGE!"

protocida
02-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Not at all. Hal, much like all other Silver Age heroes, was very stoic and serious. Modern Hal is more sarcasting, commits mistakes, feels guilt and, as much as haters don't like him, has depth.

Anubis
02-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Like a puddle.

Hound55
02-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Oh please, Hal Jordan has about the least depth of any major character from either DC or Marvel.

And as Ace (or Remi) correctly put it, about the only thing which started to give him some depth was retconned away.

Hal Jordan has no depth... it seems dude is allergic to depth and the writers wanted to protect him from it.

Mr. Earle
02-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Oh please, Hal Jordan has about the least depth of any major character from either DC or Marvel.

And as Ace (or Remi) correctly put it, about the only thing which started to give him some depth was retconned away.

Hal Jordan has no depth... it seems dude is allergic to depth and the writers wanted to protect him from it.
I think you re overreacting. Not at all. Hal, much like all other Silver Age heroes, was very stoic and serious. Modern Hal is more sarcasting, commits mistakes, feels guilt and, as much as haters don't like him, has depth.Sounds good. Johns is a great writer and if anyone can write a good GL story, its him.

Hound55
02-03-2010, 03:02 PM
I don't think I am overreacting.

Name a MAJOR character in either Marvel or DC with less depth to him/her than Hal Jordan.

terry78
02-03-2010, 03:03 PM
The only character that was pretty carefree in his original incarnation was Flash. Batman, Superman and GL were all authoritative square jawed types who just liked to monologue about what was going on.

dnno1
02-03-2010, 03:07 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/dnno1/gl_emeralddawn2_1.jpg

The thing is that Jordan after "Emerald Dawn II" had a strike against him. He was convicted for a DUI. He has even punched his superior as seen in "Secret Origin". Hal is not so much the cardboard cutout boy scout as people think.

protocida
02-03-2010, 03:25 PM
I give up. This is getting too (unnecesarily) hostile.

Octoberist
02-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Silver Age and post-Rebirth Hal are practically the same though. Basically, Johns whole mission statement for the new GL status quo is "MOAR SILVER AGE!"

Good! It bring me happiness to my black heart!

Octoberist
02-03-2010, 03:28 PM
I don't think I am overreacting.

Name a MAJOR character in either Marvel or DC with less depth to him/her than Hal Jordan.

Do you like Hal, or you p*ssed off that Kyle is no longer the 'main' GL?

Anubis
02-03-2010, 06:39 PM
I give up. This is getting too (unnecesarily) hostile.

That's what happens. That's what Hal Jordan does.

Webhead2006
02-03-2010, 08:59 PM
ok i dont read dc/gl books how is hal or john or other human gls just cardboard cutouts?

Anubis
02-04-2010, 12:24 AM
Well....lets assume that you like Spider-Man. Now, what is it that you like about Spider-Man? I'm going to assume it's his personality. His whole, outlook on life. His quips, his brains, his never give up attitude (Which was great until that whole selling his marriage to the devil business, but that's a whole other can of worms). All that makes Spider-Man a good character. You know, depth.

Now, John and Hal? Have none of that. They're like, guys who are just kinda, there. No personality. Boring basically. Cardboard cutout.

Hound55
02-04-2010, 01:21 AM
Do you like Hal, or you p*ssed off that Kyle is no longer the 'main' GL?
I don't particularly like Hal because he's got nothing to him and I resent that.

Kyle at least has a little friggin' personality.

I'm still not hearing any suggestions for "Major Mavel/DC characters with LESS depth than Hal". A more cynical man than myself might suggest that its because there are none...

Webhead2006
02-04-2010, 02:17 AM
ok than if they are so plain jane why are they so popular and well liked?

Hound55
02-04-2010, 02:51 AM
Because they like the concepts and Hal was "The Main one"?

I think Ace (Remi) is onto something when he mentioned "power over character" when it comes to Green Lantern.

Ace of Knaves
02-04-2010, 05:00 AM
Yea that is right. Hal is the epitome of "powers over personality". He's got cool powers, bad ass powers. The power to will anything into existence is awesome. But ya... that's all he's got going for him.

Hound55
02-04-2010, 05:05 AM
It also would have been more plausible if Parallax were retconned into an entity of pure boredom or tedium rather than fear.

It would have made it far more understandable for why it targeted Hal...

Ace of Knaves
02-04-2010, 05:09 AM
:funny: You're a funny guy! :funny:

Ah well, I'm getting bored of bashing Hal now. Ironically enough. lol

Hound55
02-04-2010, 05:13 AM
This is what happens when people insult John McClane... I turn all prick and explode on people, even boring people.

Ace of Knaves
02-04-2010, 05:15 AM
lol not saying you are boring me, just even talking about Hal Jordan bores me.

Webhead2006
02-04-2010, 12:32 PM
well its sucks you guys do think these guys are so boring and all that. But to me seeing things as not a fan of the characters and just knowing little things here and there they dont seem to be bad characters at all.

Ace of Knaves
02-04-2010, 12:42 PM
I don't think it sucks. Maaaaaan **** Hal Jordan :funny:

Like I said before, he's lucky he has someone like Ryan Reynolds playing him.

That-Guy
02-04-2010, 01:08 PM
I personally don't see why so many people hate Hal Jordan... I've never found him boring or viewed him as a "cardboard cutout" type of character. Like I've said before, I've always viewed Hal as the DC Universe's version of James T. Kirk. Cocky and suave with the ladies but also a total hardass when he has to be and afraid of absolutely nothing.

I think a lot of people these days just hate him because they grew up knowing Kyle as the main GL. But guess what? Those of us who were around when Kyle took up the role were pissed and didn't like him at first. He grew on me eventually, but I was still a little irked that one of my favorite characters was first driven insane and switched sides... and THEN went completely overboard and tried to destroy the universe. Granted, I respected DC for making such a bold move but it never sat completely right with me.

Then Rebirth happened, and while some people might view it as a cop-out, it's probably the best cop-out I've ever seen. But of course, once Hal became the "main" GL again, all of the Kyle fans got pissed. I can sympathize, but I think you also need to take into account that when Kyle showed up, some of us were like "Who the hell is this guy? Why, out of all the Green Lantern characters out there, did you feel a need to create someone totally new and make him the central character?"

Ace of Knaves
02-04-2010, 01:12 PM
My hate of Hal has nothing to do with Kyle. Truth be told, I'm not a massive fan of Kyle either. Personally, none of the human GLs are that brilliant characters. Guys my favourite because he is a parody/satirical character of that stereotypical over macho American douche bag, but with a heart of gold.

But I maintain the belief that Hal Jordan is one of the biggest examples of "powers over personality"

That-Guy
02-04-2010, 02:15 PM
I don't disagree with you, but couldn't the same be said for most superheroes? Would anyone care about Superman if he couldn't punch through walls and fly? Would we really love Spidey if he was just another nerdy teenager? At least when it comes to super-powered characters, the powers are the gateway to the audience loving the character. Their personality of course makes them more interesting... but the powers are what brought the audience there in the first place.

Eddie Dean
02-04-2010, 02:18 PM
The best comparison for Hal I've heard is Jimmy McNulty from The Wire, I think Keyser Soze first mentioned it.

Webhead2006
02-04-2010, 03:18 PM
yea as i said i am looking at things with an outside perspective on these character since i know very little on them. I dont think any suck at all. Though i have no love or hate to any of the earth lanterns. All i am hoping for is they treat the characters well and dont muck around with what is what for each character.

thegameq
02-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Interesting discussion...time to invest in some GL TPBs....

You know, perhaps the reason Hal and John are potrayed as they are is because they are just plain guys, rather than larger than life flawed characters. Don't get me wrong, the everyday struggles and flaws do make the character more appealing to the imagination, but maybe the plain-ness is the character flaw.

John is just a guy trying to "be" or get by--I'm basing this off of of the JLU animated series, so forgive me if my impression of John is vastly different from his comic counterpart. He's an unspectacular man in a spectacular situation--who seemingly isn't fazed by his situation.

His hard exterior is his flaw and grates on the characters in his life that are more emotional (see women).

Hal, if I'm reading you guys right, is a throwback superhero. Which if written well, is more about his reaction to his environment and circumstances, rather than about himself to some degree. I can see how pairing such a character with a liberal like Green Arrow might have bought out the best in the character.

Interesting reading in the GL forums....good stuff.

Webhead2006
02-04-2010, 11:10 PM
yea to me each guy has their plus and negatives about them. Hopefully they will do the characters right in the film.

Mr. Earle
02-05-2010, 09:35 AM
yea as i said i am looking at things with an outside perspective on these character since i know very little on them. I dont think any suck at all. Though i have no love or hate to any of the earth lanterns. All i am hoping for is they treat the characters well and dont muck around with what is what for each character.
You could pick up some GL comic books. I dont know where you should start though. "Sinestro Corps wars" maybe?

Secretwarrior
02-05-2010, 12:21 PM
sinestro corp war is a must, but before that u should read rebirth and even secret origins arc (i think that's a tpb by now).

really good stories al around. Of course, if u really wanted to u could get the original Hal goes crazy story ... Emerald Night ... Emerald Fall ... Emerald Twilight? damn, I cant believe I forgot the title! Havent read it in years lol

Webhead2006
02-05-2010, 12:57 PM
yea i would pick up more comics, but i dont have alot of cash flow presently so i tend to stick to my current stock of titles i get. Plus the dam crazy high prices now. for a standard issue comic its not $3.99. Which sucks alot when i started up collecting over 9 yrs ago it was $2.25. So i have to limit what i get right now.

Anubis
02-05-2010, 01:52 PM
So buy trades.

Mr. Earle
02-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Or you know... try other ways... :cwink:

Octoberist
02-05-2010, 03:49 PM
if you're talking downloading, man, i hate reading comics on a monitar.

That's one reason why I think e-readers could get popular but have limitations: art books and comic books.

JLU51306
02-05-2010, 07:44 PM
sinestro corp war is a must, but before that u should read rebirth and even secret origins arc (i think that's a tpb by now).

really good stories al around. Of course, if u really wanted to u could get the original Hal goes crazy story ... Emerald Night ... Emerald Fall ... Emerald Twilight? damn, I cant believe I forgot the title! Havent read it in years lol

Emerald Dawn?

Anubis
02-05-2010, 10:23 PM
That was the name of a retelling of Hal's origin, which was retconned away cuz he was a drunk driver, and you can't have a boring card board cut out superhero that likes to get tanked and nearly kill his brother. :o

There was an Emerald Dawn II as well. The story Secretwarrior was looking for is indeed Emerald Twilight.

Anubis
02-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Double Post

............I got nothing.

That-Guy
02-06-2010, 03:34 PM
I can see how pairing such a character with a liberal like Green Arrow might have bought out the best in the character.

Just curious, has there been any talk of Oliver Queen showing up in a sequel? I'm sure he wouldn't be in the first film but perhaps later on, eventually leading into his own movie? If I remember his origin right, Ollie gets standed on an island... perhaps they could work it in that one of Hal's old friends, Ollie, is on a plane that gets downed by Sinestro. They wouldn't even have to revisit it after that... just have Hal thinking that his friend is dead but after the credits we see Ollie, alive on an island, crafting a crude bow and arrow.

Anubis
02-06-2010, 03:36 PM
I'd like to see a Flash/GL team up first.

protocida
02-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Green Lantern's friendships with Flash and Green Arrow should be left for Justice League.

Webhead2006
02-07-2010, 12:48 AM
probably not since wb probably still would want to get more solo films going and if that ga solo movie has any new movement. Plus as we already know from campbell at least for gl 1 he doesnt want to include cameos of non gl characters.

That-Guy
02-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Well yeah; I was referring more to a sequel, though. And even though people might not consider GA integral to the GL mythos, they were partners at one point and are best friends. Their alliance runs a bit deeper than say, Superman and Batman.

dnno1
02-07-2010, 05:22 PM
probably not since wb probably still would want to get more solo films going and if that ga solo movie has any new movement. Plus as we already know from campbell at least for gl 1 he doesnt want to include cameos of non gl characters.

Not only that, but there is still the filming rights to those characters that could potentially get in the way of them having a team up/friendship such as that.

Webhead2006
02-08-2010, 02:49 AM
totally, though i really wished we were in a better place for a majorit of dc characters where we could have them in the same world and all that. But since its a no go with alot of characters right now hard to do any of that.

Webhead2006
02-08-2010, 02:50 AM
totally, though i really wished we were in a better place for a majority of dc characters where we could have them in the same world and all that. But since its a no go with alot of characters right now hard to do any of that.

BojacRedleif
02-09-2010, 01:54 AM
Not only that, but there is still the filming rights to those characters that could potentially get in the way of them having a team up/friendship such as that.

I sincerely doubt that, from what I understand, WB owns all of DC's characters so they can do whatever the hell they want.

And in my opinion, a Green Arrow movie needs Hal Jordan in it. As well as Bruce Wayne.

Since Geoff Johns wrote the treatment for a Flash movie I would be surprised if he didn't include a scene or two with Hal in it. Or Jay Garrick.

-edit-

One more thing, in a Green Lantern sequel, I would die if they had some aspects of probably the greatest team-up in comics history.
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/adams.jpg

Webhead2006
02-09-2010, 01:21 PM
yea it would be great if they can do teamups and all that. But i doubt we would see a teamup off the bat first. They probably want to have each guy in a successful solo film first before they are willing to do a team up movie.

HboyBowen
03-08-2010, 01:38 PM
I dont get how he travels around the universe...does he go lightspeed or somethin

Anubis
03-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Worm holes.

Hound55
03-08-2010, 02:02 PM
He punches space-time in the face...

Hound55
03-08-2010, 02:02 PM
He punches space-time in the face... twice.

dnno1
03-08-2010, 02:24 PM
I dont get how he travels around the universe...does he go lightspeed or somethin

Worm holes.

He punches space-time in the face...

Since his powers are based on his imagination, he can travel via varous means from faster than Light (FTL) speeds, teleportation, wormholes, warping space, to even travel through hyperspace.

The ?ion
03-14-2010, 01:28 AM
Protocida, you win this thread and possibly life, for that really hilarious summary of All-Star Batman & Robin. Frank Miller is well respected, but honestly, I was never too fond of his writing after I read Spawn/Batman. The plot and dialog in that comic are absolutely horrific. I had never been made to hate a word as much as the word "punk," thanks to Miller's abuse of that word. Everytime Batman spoke, he was calling somebody a "punk" or a "slob." I am sad to see that the tradition continues with his use of the g-word. At least I know where the meme comes from now. I avoided the All-Star series, but perhaps I should read ASB&R for the laughs.

Anyways, I figured this thread could benefit from a general point-by-point format that gets at some of the basics of the Green Lantern mythos

- I thought Green Lantern was Black?

There is more than one Green Lantern. While recent media represetnations have focused on the African American Green Lantern known as John Stewart, there are in fact thousands of Green Lanterns, four of whom are humans that belong to the Green Lantern Corps. The four human Green Lanterns are Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner, Guy Gardner and John Stewart.

- Who is the original Green Lantern then?

This depends upon the context you are referring to. The first character to bear the moniker, "Green Lantern," is named Alan Scott. He also weilds a green power ring, but the source of his powers and his affiliation with the Lantern Corps is not the same as other Green Lanterns. If we are referring to the modern take on the Green Lantern, then the Lantern of interest is named Hal Jordan. He is a member of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps.

- What are the Green Lantern's powers?

The bearer of a Green Lantern ring can do whatever their mind desires.

That is where I will end it. I am too lazy to make an at length list. So feel free to add to it. In factd, please add to it. It is more beneficial to the random reader and focuses on the main point of this thread.

The Bruce
04-21-2010, 07:24 AM
I used to only read marvel. But right now I'm only reading the green lantern books (In tpb format) it's that good.

Ace of Knaves
04-21-2010, 07:33 AM
Misconceptions of Green Lantern?

For some strange reason some people try to say Hal Jordan has a personality. An interesting one at that.

Absolutely baffles the mind.

Doctor Jones
04-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Jeez, I tell people they're making a GL film, and they keep saying the same thing. "Ryan Reynolds? Isn't Green Lantern suppose to be black?"

Ace of Knaves
04-21-2010, 09:16 AM
I've told a few people about GL. And they're like "What? He has a magic ****ing ring? HAHAHAHA"

Obviously i don't share those sentiments at all, but it does worry me that to people not in the know, a superhero whose power comes from a ring might seem a little hokey.

Mr. Earle
04-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Well then the trailers better have some quotes from the Guardians explaining that the ring is technological so that the general audience is informed.

Ace of Knaves
04-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Yea but even then, i still think a lot of people will still think it's lame. Those people would be small minded and immature yea, but there is a lot of those kinds of people out there.

But i think as long as the trailers look cool and the constructs don't look cheesy it'll win people over.

As long as Hal makes constructs other than big boxing gloves or giant hands, it won't look to bad.

Wesley Dodds
04-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Im all for a big boxing glove, actually.

I think it'd be a nice nod to us fanboys...

Webhead2006
04-21-2010, 12:41 PM
for me before the jl cartoon and all that, i didnt really know anything of gl character. But i did know there was multi human versions of the character. Now i know who they are just i dont know all the details about said characters since i currently dont read dc.

terry78
04-21-2010, 12:46 PM
The original creators made the foundation, but later writers usually expand on what the prototype characters can and can't do. In the 50's and 60's it was just explained away how they did the **** they did. Current writers get all deep into why.

Ace of Knaves
04-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Im all for a big boxing glove, actually.

I think it'd be a nice nod to us fanboys...

Yea i hope he uses it at least once. But i want him to do other constructs too.

Wesley Dodds
04-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Yea i hope he uses it at least once. But i want him to do other constructs too.

Definitely. The constructs should get grander and more ambitious as the movies go along until he's making stuff like armies by the end of the third movie.

As for the boxing glove, i think it'd work best as a bit of comic relief.

Kilowog: "A boxing glove... Really?"

Hal: "Hey, it's my first day!"

Something like that.

Hound55
04-21-2010, 07:18 PM
As long as Hal makes constructs other than big boxing gloves or giant hands, it won't look to bad.
But then that wouldn't really be in character...

Ace of Knaves
04-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Heyyoo!!!! It's funny because it's true.

Hound55
04-21-2010, 07:40 PM
When Wesley Dodds is saying grander and more ambitious constructs, I just can't help but think that to Hal it would just mean bigger and bigger boxing gloves, hands, fly-swatters and egg-beaters...

Thank God for Ryan Reynolds... even if they're going with an actor more suited to Kyle and calling him Hal.

Ace of Knaves
04-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Ehh i think Reynolds is more suited to Guy, personally.

Hound55
04-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Really? I don't think he has enough ar$ehole in him for Guy. For Guy I'd want someone who you don't immediately think "Cool, nice guy." Reynolds doesn't naturally exude "ar$ehole exterior, nice guy deep down".

Hound55
04-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Really? I don't think he has enough ar$ehole in him for Guy. For Guy I'd want someone who you don't immediately think "Cool, nice guy." Reynolds doesn't naturally exude "ar$ehole exterior, nice guy deep down".

Webhead2006
04-22-2010, 02:06 AM
personally dont see why ryan is bad at all for hal, he is a decent actor, and is more then just comedy roles and all that. Also all reports we have heard on set ryan has been very commited and very serious in the role. So i dont think we have anything to worry there.

Ace of Knaves
04-22-2010, 02:53 AM
Oh we know Reynolds will be great.

We are saying thank god for Ryan Reynolds. Because he will inject some charisma and personality into one of the most boring comic book characters in existence.

Trust me, film Hal Jordan will be nothing like comic book Hal Jordan. And funnily enough, that will be a very good thing.

Octoberist
04-22-2010, 03:05 AM
I've told a few people about GL. And they're like "What? He has a magic ****ing ring? HAHAHAHA"

Obviously i don't share those sentiments at all, but it does worry me that to people not in the know, a superhero whose power comes from a ring might seem a little hokey.

Not too sure how anyone would laugh at the notion of a powerful/magical ring when there's Lord of the Rings.

Ace of Knaves
04-22-2010, 03:15 AM
The one ring doesn't shoot green "lasers" or green boxing gloves or whatever though.

THE MR. TERRIFIC
04-22-2010, 10:54 AM
You would think with all the technology now that people would research before coming up with an opinion. At least I do. I guess I give people to much credit.

Octoberist
04-22-2010, 02:44 PM
The one ring doesn't shoot green "lasers" or green boxing gloves or whatever though.

If I told some one about lightsabers if they don't know Star Wars, it would be silly too: laser swords.

Webhead2006
04-23-2010, 09:53 PM
well i dont really think so on that octoberist. Since laser swords have been in a bunch of other things.

Octoberist
04-23-2010, 10:34 PM
prior to Star Wars? Are you sure?

again, this is a hypothetical IF some one who wasn't familiar with Star Wars or just sci-fi in general may find the concept of a 'lightsaber' silly.

Webhead2006
04-23-2010, 10:55 PM
well i not sure prior to star wars, but from what i know lucas never copyrighted them. So alot of other anime and scifi things have used laser swords.

Octoberist
04-23-2010, 11:11 PM
how about this: if you told some one who is totally ignorant of 'lightsabers' and sci-fi in general (that includes anime).

Webhead2006
04-24-2010, 12:26 AM
i dont know lol

NefCanuck
04-26-2010, 12:15 AM
As a fan of Hal Jordan I think part of what makes him (to me anyways) an appealing character is how he overcomes fear, to wield what I will willingly admit is nothing more than a glowing green "Deus Ex Machina".

Especially as his story has been told (and re-told) we get to see that a lot of his more obvious personality traits are defense mechanisms to overcoming fear. IE:

Fear of failure
Fear of commitment

Which leads to his cocky, brash "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" style that grates on other heroes nerves (Especially Batman, Hal just drives Bruce.... "bats" :))

To me this is what Hal Jordan has become, a study in looking behind the facade to see what lies beneath.

IMO it's how Johns could retcon the whole Parallax thing without it looking like a "total" cop out.

Hal failed to protect his hometown and this made him vulnerable to being taken over by the fear entity because in that one instant Hal Jordan knew the fear of failure and it scared the life out of him.

NefCanuck

Webhead2006
04-26-2010, 02:16 AM
sounds like a good way to sum up the character.

cchriswake13
04-27-2010, 02:21 AM
It's kind of funny now (but frustrating a while ago) but looking back at it a lot of people who aren't traditional comic book fans have a ton of misconceptions about the Green Lantern myth. Either they mix up the lanterns or the number one question I always got was "isn't Green Lantern that black guy on the Justice League"?

... thanks Paul Dini for picking John Stewart to expose a single Lantern..

Anubis
04-27-2010, 02:27 AM
Well, maybe they shoulda went John Stewart.

Octoberist
04-27-2010, 04:20 AM
my whole thing about someone complaining about Green Lantern not being black is that, most likely, they can't tell you his real name. Or realize that he's a part of something bigger (Green Lantern Corps) where there's other GL members, despite a number of episodes showcasing it.

So they don't know what they're talking about and they just represent a small group of people. no worries.

Rumpy Bulge Dubz
05-02-2010, 07:53 AM
... thanks Paul Dini for picking John Stewart to expose a single Lantern..

yea no *****, John was a horrible Lantern. Would've much prefered Jordan in the series, but at least the writing and everything else was on point.

Anubis
05-02-2010, 12:53 PM
my whole thing about someone complaining about Green Lantern not being black is that, most likely, they can't tell you his real name. Or realize that he's a part of something bigger (Green Lantern Corps) where there's other GL members, despite a number of episodes showcasing it.

So they don't know what they're talking about and they just represent a small group of people. no worries.

Actually, the people that don't know what they're talking about most often represent the largest group of people.

Rumpy Bulge Dubz
05-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Actually, the people that don't know what they're talking about most often represent the largest group of people.

truth right here

so yea, I'd be very worried

3atman
05-04-2010, 12:07 AM
a misconception, or maybe preconception I have of the Green Lantern is that he turns into a total wimp when Batman shows up.

THE MR. TERRIFIC
05-05-2010, 07:59 AM
I'm not worried about the misconceptions and people thinking GL is only a black guy. As long asthis thing is marketed correctly, people will go see it.

KangConquers
05-06-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm not worried about the misconceptions and people thinking GL is only a black guy. As long asthis thing is marketed correctly, people will go see it.

There are three things that make a successful movie imo:

1. A great trailer.
2. A great release date.
3. Great buzz.

The Buzz for GL has been solid...save some misgivings about Blake Lively. The release date is a little weak...I still say June is the hell month. So Green Lantern at this point can go either way.

If they release a trailer that is out of this world awesome, people will go see it. If the word of mouth on it is good, it will have good legs.

Look at How to Train Your Dragon...which didn't do amazingly at first, but has had very sturdy legs based on significant word of mouth, and fantastic reviews (reviews that rival pixars best.) All in all, they just have to make a great, fun movie, and word of mouth will take care of the rest.

Webhead2006
05-06-2010, 10:47 PM
yea i hope gl does well enough for dc.

Mr. Earle
05-07-2010, 06:51 AM
Which leads to his cocky, brash "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" style that grates on other heroes nerves (Especially Batman, Hal just drives Bruce.... "bats" :)):cwink:
yHY9USNC_Fk

Panthro
05-18-2010, 07:11 PM
As a fan of Hal Jordan I think part of what makes him (to me anyways) an appealing character is how he overcomes fear, to wield what I will willingly admit is nothing more than a glowing green "Deus Ex Machina".

Especially as his story has been told (and re-told) we get to see that a lot of his more obvious personality traits are defense mechanisms to overcoming fear. IE:

Fear of failure
Fear of commitment

Which leads to his cocky, brash "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" style that grates on other heroes nerves (Especially Batman, Hal just drives Bruce.... "bats" :))

To me this is what Hal Jordan has become, a study in looking behind the facade to see what lies beneath.

IMO it's how Johns could retcon the whole Parallax thing without it looking like a "total" cop out.

Hal failed to protect his hometown and this made him vulnerable to being taken over by the fear entity because in that one instant Hal Jordan knew the fear of failure and it scared the life out of him.

NefCanuck
Sounds about right.

Technically I grew up with Kyle Rayner, but I don't hate or resent Hal Jordan. I don't get the hate myself.

dnno1
05-18-2010, 07:58 PM
:cwink:
yHY9USNC_Fk

My kids liked that episode.

Mr. Earle
05-18-2010, 08:01 PM
That episode was awesome!

Doctor Jones
05-22-2010, 10:22 AM
It's gonna be funny in the theater after the trailer plays. Who wants to bet that we'll here people going, "But I thought he was black??"

Webhead2006
05-22-2010, 10:50 AM
lol those will be the fans who probably only know of the gl from jl/jlu. Heck for me i still dont know much on all the lanterns but even as a kid/young teen i know there was a bunch of different ones. At that time sure i dont know if i knew their actual names compared to the likes of batman/superman/spidey and all that.

petey
05-24-2010, 09:28 PM
I think were giving too much credit to the JL cartoon people. the general public could give two squats what color a character is/was. when I name drop GL in general conversation outside of my comic fan friends. most people ask "who is that" then I say "the guy with the ring" then some get it but others are still confounded as to who I'm talking about.

So I think the main problem for WB/DC would be increasing awareness without oversaturation. Get enough of the basics out there so people go "oh I dig this"

Octoberist
05-25-2010, 04:03 AM
Petey, I'm with you here because it's been what..5 years since Justice League Unlimited. Since then, any incarnation of GL was Hal Jordan...

And with the people who questions the ethnicity of Green Lantern probably doesn't even know that Hal Jordan and John Stewart are two different characters

Panthro
05-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Out of curiosity, anyone here ever get into arguments with other people who claim "Green Lantern's not a hero, his ring is a hero"?

dnno1
05-25-2010, 04:36 PM
No, never. And in truth, if that were the case, then Aladdin would not be considered a hero either.

Octoberist
05-26-2010, 02:37 AM
or it's like saying the Tony Stark is not a hero, the suit is the hero. stupid stuff like that.

Octoberist
05-26-2010, 02:46 AM
Or saying that Luke wasn't a hero, it was the Force.

Really, the more I think about that some people think that Hal is not the hero but the ring is so absurdly stupid, that I would love to hear a good counter argument.

Rumpy Bulge Dubz
05-26-2010, 06:13 AM
I was at TRU the other day (don't know if anyone has seen those vintage superfriends stuffed dolls they're selling) but a black women, had to be in her late 30's, walked right past them and said "hey, it's Green Lantern".

also, when the "First Flight" DVD came out and I picked it up at Best Buy, the girl who rang me up (also black) looked at the cover and said "oh, Green Lantern, he's my favorite in DC VS Mortal Kombat".....

so I guess you could say, African American females are definitley aware of Hale Jordan

Panthro
05-26-2010, 12:59 PM
No, never. And in truth, if that were the case, then Aladdin would not be considered a hero either.

or it's like saying the Tony Stark is not a hero, the suithttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=331164&page=10#) is the hero. stupid stuff like that.

Or saying that Luke wasn't a hero, it was the Force.

Really, the more I think about that some people think that Hal is not the hero but the ring is so absurdly stupid, that I would love to hear a good counter argument.

A while back a good friend of mine, who I will not identify, and I were debating Justice League/JLU & DC in general, he told me he couldn't stand the Green Lantern character(s) or concept & dismissed GL "as not really being the true hero but rather his ring is the hero & that GL is basically useless without the ring" and that there are too many GLs in general in order for the concept to be unique. I kept telling him that simply isn't true, because the ring itself is not alive, it's not a living functional entity, it's basically just a gun in need of a trigger man. The ring is only as strong as the heart of the man/woman/alien wielding it. Without a mind and/or will to operate it, the ring is basically an inert chunk of space metal.

As for GL being useless without the ring, well, just how many stories have there been about the ring either running out of power or wielder being separated from the ring but he keeps going anyway without it? Saying GL is nothing without his ring is like saying Batman is nothing without his endless supply of gadgets, or Captain America being nothing without his shield, and so on & so forth.

Octoberist
05-26-2010, 03:54 PM
it's just like when Tony runs out of power for his Iron Man suit. then he's "useless".

and you're right about the 'ring' being the weapon, and the user being the trigger man. Guns are not effective by themselves. you need someone to pull the trigger. errr.

It's just like how I remember reading online on how someone thought that the whole notion of a power ring is stupid. "Why isn't it a Power necklace. stupid!" I got so mad that I actually signed up to the 'message board' thingy and set that dude straight.

"What about Lord of the Rings?" I asked.

Then he shut up.

dnno1
05-26-2010, 06:17 PM
A while back a good friend of mine, who I will not identify, and I were debating Justice League/JLU & DC in general, he told me he couldn't stand the Green Lantern character(s) or concept & dismissed GL "as not really being the true hero but rather his ring is the hero & that GL is basically useless without the ring" and that there are too many GLs in general in order for the concept to be unique. I kept telling him that simply isn't true, because the ring itself is not alive, it's not a living functional entity, it's basically just a gun in need of a trigger man. The ring is only as strong as the heart of the man/woman/alien wielding it. Without a mind and/or will to operate it, the ring is basically an inert chunk of space metal.

As for GL being useless without the ring, well, just how many stories have there been about the ring either running out of power or wielder being separated from the ring but he keeps going anyway without it? Saying GL is nothing without his ring is like saying Batman is nothing without his endless supply of gadgets, or Captain America being nothing without his shield, and so on & so forth.

He must be one of those guys who claim that bowling and golf are not sports. The mere fact that a Green Lantern can overcome his fear and has the will to command the ring make him/her heroic in my book.

Ace of Knaves
05-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Bowling isn't a sport... neither is darts.

dnno1
05-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Ace, a sport is any physical activity engaged in for either pleasure or competition. Both bowling and darts fall into that category.

Hound55
05-26-2010, 10:13 PM
In which case poker and eating are sports.

As is streaking at sports events and sex...

You have to draw the line somewhere...

Octoberist
05-26-2010, 10:38 PM
bowling is not a sport.

Blitzkrieg Bop
05-26-2010, 11:26 PM
I've had to explain on multiple occasions that there is more than one Green Lantern, and that John was chosen to be on the show for diversity.

Octoberist
05-26-2010, 11:36 PM
but i dont think it'll be to the point where ill informed people would protest Green Lantern because it's racist and has a white lead. well i hope not.

Blitzkrieg Bop
05-26-2010, 11:38 PM
If Hal is deemed guilty of being white, then maybe the planet should blow up.

Hound55
05-27-2010, 12:38 AM
I intend to go to my city's premiere in a batsuit painted yellow drinking from a big yellow bottle of lemonade, informing any and all passers-by which bother to listen that "I'm the goddamn Batman"...

Rumpy Bulge Dubz
05-27-2010, 03:37 AM

truth

dnno1
05-27-2010, 09:13 AM

Well, streaking at sports events is not a sport (uless you are at the Purdue University Nude Olympics or the original Greek Olympics). It's normally a crime.

dnno1
05-27-2010, 09:16 AM
bowling is not a sport.

Sure it is. You have to practice at it to get good, don't you? It's on ABC and ESPN (so is poker). If it is a competition and you have to practice at it to be good then it is a sport.

Octoberist
05-27-2010, 02:24 PM
enough with bowling, that's debatable but are you implying that poker is a sport too? i know we have disagreed A LOT (a lot alot a lllot) in past but poker is not a sport. that's just absurd.

Doctor Jones
05-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Sport is an activity with the word active in it. Sitting around on your ass with sunglasses with cards is not an active thing. The most movement you get in poker is your eyes.

dnno1
05-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Sport is an activity with the word active in it. Sitting around on your ass with sunglasses with cards is not an active thing. The most movement you get in poker is your eyes.

Hey, that's just a matter of opinion. There's a lot of strategy involved in that with all the bluffing and bidding and what not.

Ace of Knaves
05-27-2010, 03:50 PM
IMO for something to be considered a sport it has to have athletes of some kind playing it.

You don't have to be an athlete or healthy in any way to bowl or play darts. ****, you could be literally knocking on deaths door and still play darts.

dnno1
05-27-2010, 03:51 PM
What's an athlete?

Hound55
05-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Well, streaking at sports events is not a sport (uless you are at the Purdue University Nude Olympics or the original Greek Olympics). It's normally a crime.

There was nothing in the definition that YOU provided us with that eliminated criminal activity from being a sport. Under your definition murder could also be a sport to a serial killer if he takes pleasure in the activity and enjoys to do it in a "hands on" physical style.