PDA

View Full Version : The Immortal Iron Fist Thread - Part 1

Thread Manager
01-24-2011, 08:16 PM
This is a continuation thread, the old thread is 244321

GNR
We all saw the announcement in the last issue of DD.

Bru also talks about it here:http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=78460

That Aja's art looks fantastic from those 3 preview pages alone.I am so looking forward to this title.Bru launching an ongoing of a C-Lister with potential?That is going to be gold.

Oh yea,Matt Fraction is the guy relaunching Punisher in the MU,kickass.

Discuss!!!!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/ZeppelinCometh/TI_IRONFIST_001_COVER_RGB.jpg

Sebastos
Edit.

Sebastos
01-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Yet another cool Iron Fist pic David Aja recently did:

http://i56.tinypic.com/29givzk.jpg

TheCorpulent1
01-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Why the heck did Aja stop drawing Iron Fist if he's still doing sketches of him like every other day now?

Colossal Spoons
01-24-2011, 09:00 PM
Ha, seriously

JewishHobbit
01-24-2011, 09:57 PM
What is he doing now?

kguillou
01-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Seriously, what is Aja doing now? I hate it when artists start to gain a little popularity, they end up dropping from the face of the earth. He should be doing another ironfist book.

Sebastos
01-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Why the heck did Aja stop drawing Iron Fist if he's still doing sketches of him like every other day now?

I forget the reason, but man would I love to see Aja on an Iron Fist book again.

TheCorpulent1
01-24-2011, 11:18 PM
I'd love to see him try a more overtly superheroic comic. Like a fill-in arc on Secret Avengers or something.

NDX
01-24-2011, 11:19 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Aja take one a supernatural one shot with Hellstorm. Him or Gabriel Hardman.

TheCorpulent1
01-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Hardman's Hulk is actually exactly the thing that got me thinking about Aja on a bigger superhero comic. Never would've thought Hardman's style would work so well with Rulk, yet it does.

NDX
01-24-2011, 11:25 PM
Is that a story worth following? I don't much like Rulk as a character, but he's interesting to draw.

kguillou
01-24-2011, 11:41 PM
Eh...Aja on Hulk doesnt seem like a good match. Thats like asking Michael Lark to draw a book like Thor. Aja works well with the street heroes. I think he'd be great on Secret Avengers.

TheCorpulent1
01-24-2011, 11:55 PM
Is that a story worth following? I don't much like Rulk as a character, but he's interesting to draw.
I only read the issue where Thor guest-starred. That one was surprisingly good. If I had any interest at all in Ross as a character, I would've probably stuck with it.

NightBeetle
02-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Power Man and Iron Fist #1 Preview (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=7704&disp=table)

http://i54.tinypic.com/2nsc8z8.jpg

TheCorpulent1
02-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Don of the Dead returns! :awesome:

Sebastos
02-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Looks like Danny will be keeping the white suit afterall. :hehe:

Dread
02-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Not a fan of the white suit. It still reeks of Danny shopping at the same store as Jean Grey.

I am a fan of Don of the Dead returning.

Looks to be a great series. The Power Man back-up strip in ASM was pretty spiffy, too.

kguillou
02-04-2011, 07:25 PM
I'm not a fan of the white suit either, but its not a biggie.

My issue is...why's Danny wasting time with this kid? Why cant we just have a Luke Cage/ Ironfist series, that would kick so much ass and i'd think it'd be a no brainer.

Dread
02-04-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm not a fan of the white suit either, but its not a biggie.

My issue is...why's Danny wasting time with this kid? Why cant we just have a Luke Cage/ Ironfist series, that would kick so much ass and i'd think it'd be a no brainer.

The SHADOWLAND: POWER MAN series spelled out why Iron Fist is training Victor Alvarez. In a way, he ties into both Rand and Cage's past.

Luke Cage and Iron Fist have not been able to translate Avengers appearances into sales success outside of it. Luke Cage has had a few mini's outside of NEW AVENGERS that sank like a stone. Iron Fist at least had his series last 27 issues, although 14 of them were written by Brubaker and/or Fraction, two hot writers. Marvel probably thinks a real Cage/Fist buddy series wouldn't sell, or isn't "new" enough.

It actually is very common that when Marvel seeks to relaunch a franchise, they don't relaunch it with the elements it had in it's prime that made it notable. That is too easy. Instead they try to find a new hook or angle to sell it with, sometimes a hook or angle that has nothing to do with the franchise itself. NAMOR and the NEW WARRIORS have had at least 1-2 relaunches like that. The last two NEW WARRIORS series were about a reality TV show super-team and a bunch of depowered former X-Men led by Night Thrasher's brother. The only HEROES FOR HIRE launch that starred Rand and Cage was the one from the late 90's, I think. The ones since haven't starred them; they're only guest characters. Amazingly, relaunching a franchise with new hooks rather than what once made it work has only failed every time it is been attempted for an ongoing series, but the great thing about Marvel is they're so smart, they're beyond learning from mistakes.

In terms of story, I think the idea is that Luke Cage and Iron Fist have moved onto doing their own thing more than they team up. Cage is running the T-Bolts and Rand is running his dojo. They are both NEW AVENGERS and team up but they don't live together and all that anymore. Or something.

I actually like Victor Alvarez and think the angle of Rand playing mentor is interesting. This series is a mini series, and I liked Fred Van Lente on more or less anything.

kguillou
02-04-2011, 07:56 PM
The SHADOWLAND: POWER MAN series spelled out why Iron Fist is training Victor Alvarez. In a way, he ties into both Rand and Cage's past.

Luke Cage and Iron Fist have not been able to translate Avengers appearances into sales success outside of it. Luke Cage has had a few mini's outside of NEW AVENGERS that sank like a stone. Iron Fist at least had his series last 27 issues, although 14 of them were written by Brubaker and/or Fraction, two hot writers. Marvel probably thinks a real Cage/Fist buddy series wouldn't sell, or isn't "new" enough.

It actually is very common that when Marvel seeks to relaunch a franchise, they don't relaunch it with the elements it had in it's prime that made it notable. That is too easy. Instead they try to find a new hook or angle to sell it with, sometimes a hook or angle that has nothing to do with the franchise itself. NAMOR and the NEW WARRIORS have had at least 1-2 relaunches like that. The last two NEW WARRIORS series were about a reality TV show super-team and a bunch of depowered former X-Men led by Night Thrasher's brother. The only HEROES FOR HIRE launch that starred Rand and Cage was the one from the late 90's, I think. The ones since haven't starred them; they're only guest characters. Amazingly, relaunching a franchise with new hooks rather than what once made it work has only failed every time it is been attempted for an ongoing series, but the great thing about Marvel is they're so smart, they're beyond learning from mistakes.

In terms of story, I think the idea is that Luke Cage and Iron Fist have moved onto doing their own thing more than they team up. Cage is running the T-Bolts and Rand is running his dojo. They are both NEW AVENGERS and team up but they don't live together and all that anymore. Or something.

I actually like Victor Alvarez and think the angle of Rand playing mentor is interesting. This series is a mini series, and I liked Fred Van Lente on more or less anything.

Thats a great point Dread. Marvel does do that alot.....why? I dont get it. Marvel knows this Power Man/ Ironfist series is gonna tank so why not say, get David Aja to draw it and give a boost or something? Obviously Ironfist was at his best when Aja was drawing him with brubaker and Fraction. So why not at least put him back on there?

I mean, maybe im just being cynical and its not nearly that easy, but if theres an element that worked well with a certain character then why not bring that element back? Especially when we're dealing with a character like Ironfist who isn't that popular?

TheCorpulent1
02-04-2011, 08:42 PM
I'd prefer the green suit, but white isn't a deal-breaker or anything.

Dread
02-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Thats a great point Dread. Marvel does do that alot.....why? I dont get it. Marvel knows this Power Man/ Ironfist series is gonna tank so why not say, get David Aja to draw it and give a boost or something? Obviously Ironfist was at his best when Aja was drawing him with brubaker and Fraction. So why not at least put him back on there?

I mean, maybe im just being cynical and its not nearly that easy, but if theres an element that worked well with a certain character then why not bring that element back? Especially when we're dealing with a character like Ironfist who isn't that popular?

Without being insulting, I think Marvel does this because they over-think, or try to out smart their audience. The philosophy is, "this franchise isn't as popular as we would like it to be, that is why it got canceled, so there must be something that didn't work and thus we have to tinker with it." The idea that things run in cycles and everything needs a rest is a foreign concept to an editorial regime in which no outside opinion is heard, and all interior opinions are about how awesome things are.

For example, nobody at Marvel goes, "the New Warriors ended in the 90's because after 75 issues it needed a rest". They go, "it ended after 75 issues because obviously something was wrong with the concept so we'd better tinker with it." The idea of comics that never end, such as your ACTION COMICS or your AMAZING SPIDER-MAN or so on, makes it seem as if something that is popular should always remain in print, otherwise something is wrong. In this modern age when even Wolverine and Fantastic Four need relaunches and renumbering stunts, though, this is perhaps an old opinion that needs to go. But change is difficult for people who have been in the biz 10, 20, 40 years sometimes.

Also, a relaunch of a franchise is often seen as an easier way to try to sell a new idea. Using the New Warriors again, Marvel thought that a series about Reality TV superheroes was a good concept - and to a degree maybe it is. However, trying to sell it as a new series with new characters would result in low sales. Retailers and fans are not accepting of new characters - perhaps because Marvel tends to abandon them at the first sign of struggle (or go the opposite route and have them guest star so often your head spins). Thus, the new concept gets slapped onto an old franchise and the idea is to use that to springboard it. The downside is that this act neither fools the old fans, and newer fans can smell the desperation. Marvel genuinely believes their tactical moves are mysterious and clever, even though, literally, every comic reader who buys their comics from a shop can see them coming. For example, in a year's time Marvel will believe they are being brilliant when they end FF and relaunch FANTASTIC FOUR #600. The problem is every retailer knows they are doing that, and so does any fan with even a passing knowledge of the market.

Marvel is plagued by something that in social psychology is called "groupthink". It has plagued them at the very least since the new century and it may still plague them.

I suppose someone might go, "There aren't enough fans of New Warriors to play it straight," or "there aren't enough Power Man/Iron Fist" fans or whatnot. And maybe there aren't. But that audience hasn't been reached out to in a while. The irony is by dressing up so many old franchises in "trying to be hip" clothes, it only gives the impression of how "old" they are and that alone repels people. If you are confident about something you don't act like you are ashamed of it and put it's best foot forward.

To be fair, I actually like this new Power Man. I think Fred Van Lente is a great writer and I like his new character. Victor has ties to two legacies and so on. That said, it has been a very long time since we got a Rand/Cage team up series. Or a New Warriors series that actually had those characters in it as the stars. Before you write off a franchise, Marvel, at least try actually selling that particular franchise not The Emperor's Latest Groove.

kguillou
02-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Yeah but I mean, what im trying to understand is, if you have a winning formula for a character then why wouldnt you follow it? Captain America for example. No one bought Cap's book until Brubaker and Epting came along and tried a different approach with the character, they made the book more of a dark espionage book rather than a superhero one and that formula worked and continues to work for Cap and now he's a big player in the MU again.

Now by all means, even when Brubaker, Fraction and Aja were on the book, Ironfist wasnt exactly selling gangbusters but it was garnering critical acclaim and selling steadily and gaining a fanbase. As soon as those guys left, the book sank like the titantic because the creative team that made them good was no longer there. Now of course, you cant FORCE Brubaker or Aja to work on the book forever i guess but look at what happened with Daredevil. Bendis and Maleev worked magic on the character and found a winning formula. So when it was time for them to leave, Marvel put a creative team on the book that was damn near identical to Bendis and Maleev's style because that was what made Daredevil work.

I guess what im saying is... BRING AJA BACK DAMMIT! Or if you cant, find an artist or a writer that could evoke that same atmosphere that made the book work with that creative team. Again, i fully acknowledge that maybe its not nearly as easy as it sounds but i dont think people want to read about Danny running around with this young kid with funny looking glasses. Give us the semi-noir, mystical kung fu laden stories that brought Ironfist back from obscurity. I know im not being totally fair to Van Lente, but when i read that preview it just made me miss Brubaker and Aja.

Sebastos
02-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Always loved this cover:

http://i54.tinypic.com/29esyv9.jpg

Dread
02-06-2011, 03:51 AM
Yeah but I mean, what im trying to understand is, if you have a winning formula for a character then why wouldnt you follow it? Captain America for example. No one bought Cap's book until Brubaker and Epting came along and tried a different approach with the character, they made the book more of a dark espionage book rather than a superhero one and that formula worked and continues to work for Cap and now he's a big player in the MU again.

Now by all means, even when Brubaker, Fraction and Aja were on the book, Ironfist wasnt exactly selling gangbusters but it was garnering critical acclaim and selling steadily and gaining a fanbase. As soon as those guys left, the book sank like the titantic because the creative team that made them good was no longer there. Now of course, you cant FORCE Brubaker or Aja to work on the book forever i guess but look at what happened with Daredevil. Bendis and Maleev worked magic on the character and found a winning formula. So when it was time for them to leave, Marvel put a creative team on the book that was damn near identical to Bendis and Maleev's style because that was what made Daredevil work.

I guess what im saying is... BRING AJA BACK DAMMIT! Or if you cant, find an artist or a writer that could evoke that same atmosphere that made the book work with that creative team. Again, i fully acknowledge that maybe its not nearly as easy as it sounds but i dont think people want to read about Danny running around with this young kid with funny looking glasses. Give us the semi-noir, mystical kung fu laden stories that brought Ironfist back from obscurity. I know im not being totally fair to Van Lente, but when i read that preview it just made me miss Brubaker and Aja.

This is weird. Overall I am inclined to agree. On the other hand, I do like Fred Van Lente's work. He has never produced a comic yet that I thought was below average or even average (aside for one or two issues of IRON MAN LEGACY). I like his new Victor Alvarez character and how he has ties to both Cage and Iron Fist, so he fits into their world. As for the bits about taking on those sorts of bizarre street villains, I don't mind that much, either. I mean, Iron Fist is still the type to handle common street punks than a lot of other heroes; that was the gist of the back up strip for IMMORTAL WEAPONS.

What makes a book sell is a balance between how "important" the franchise is to the company, as well as the talent being involved being high enough profile AND talent that the audience seems to want on the book. The poorest selling runs of FANTASTIC FOUR in recent years were those of Dwayne McDuffie and Jonathan Hickman, at least in comparison to Mark Waid, J. Michael Straczynski, and Mark Millar (to which a comic fan may go, "D'uh"). Now, McDuffie had a boost at the start from THE INITIATIVE banner and by mixing up the team roster (replacing Reed & Sue with Black Panther and Storm for about a year). And Hickman has gotten a boost from "THREE". But by and large, the bigger name writers tended to do better. Yet, the end of the Mark Millar run saw greatly diminished sales - the audience didn't prefer him on FF as it had on, say, THE ULTIMATES, WOLVERINE, or KICK-ASS. Same as Brubaker may be capable of making CAPTAIN AMERICA a Top 30 book, but he couldn't get THE MARVELS PROJECT to sell that well for long.

David Aja may be limited with being able to do monthly work on a timely schedule. During his run, other artists would often come in for flash back sequences that were in nearly every issue and designed specifically to give Aja a break on some pages; drawing maybe 17-20 pages instead of 22. And this was fine and clever until the end of the Brubaker/Fraction run when Aja was being backed up by nearly a half dozen other artists. In many ways, it is more of a writer's medium than an artist's these days, in that a hot writer tends to move more books than a hot artist. It wasn't that way in the 90's but it is now. I am sure Grant Morrison on a Batman comic would sell even if the artist was terrible or an unknown figure picked at random from Deviant Art. There are very few artists whose name-power alone will elevate a writer with a slim rep these days, and those artists who can are usually former 90's superstars, like whenever Jim Lee draws something.

I think there is a way to balance mystical kung fu with street villain bashing. After all, the start of the IMMORTAL IRON FIST run had Rand fighting HYDRA agents as well as a giant robot on rooftops. I like Victor but hopefully he won't totally hog the book. I also would be stunned if within 5 issues, Luke Cage didn't show up once. He was around for half of SHADOWLAND: POWER MAN.

JewishHobbit
02-06-2011, 11:23 AM
That always has been one of my favorite covers. In fact, when I was putting my Immortal Iron Fist binds together I was looking for a cover to splice into the opening page and it was between that one and the one with all the Immortal Weapons on it. I went with the other one because that's what I called the volume but that one was real close to being selected.

Spider-Aziz
02-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Is it alright if I state how much I love the Luke Cage/Danny Rand Team-Ups?
Especially that Thunderbolts issue before Parker's run

Sebastos
02-08-2011, 08:57 PM
That always has been one of my favorite covers. In fact, when I was putting my Immortal Iron Fist binds together I was looking for a cover to splice into the opening page and it was between that one and the one with all the Immortal Weapons on it. I went with the other one because that's what I called the volume but that one was real close to being selected.

For sure this has to be my favorite of them all:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2qko3ls.jpg

It'd be cool if one of the Iron Fist movie posters was based on that cover. :awesome:

JewishHobbit
02-08-2011, 09:30 PM
I'd be all for it :up:

And I'll just say that despite how underwhelming Secret Avengers has been I've been LOVING Prince of Orphans in it!

TheDarkKnight08
02-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Did anyone yet pick up the Iron Fist/ Power Man book that came out this week? :awesome:

bored
02-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Have we seen the other Immortal Weapons (Aman aside) recently?

Sebastos
02-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks too taozen over at the CBR forums:

Originally Posted by taozen http://forums.comicbookresources.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?p=12408597#post12408597)
Matt Fraction had a "Fireside Chat" on the Wordballoon podcast and stated that he sent an Iron Fist proposal to marvel. If they like it he thought he may be able to do it after the Power Man/Iron Fist series. He stated if it is accepted he would have it would most likely be a side story of the upcoming "Fear Itself" event. Let's hope marvel likes his proposal.http://forums.comicbookresources.com/images/smilies/original/smile.gif

This is great news, maybe an Iron Fist mini?

Scarecrow_King
02-09-2011, 10:15 PM
wait...when/why did Danny start wearing white?

JewishHobbit
02-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Have we seen the other Immortal Weapons (Aman aside) recently?

I don't think so.

wait...when/why did Danny start wearing white?

New Avengers's first arc... issue 4 or so. His costume was white after returning from some magical realm and he's kept it.

Scarecrow_King
02-09-2011, 11:18 PM
I don't think I like it. too much brightness. the white and the yellow need something dark to break them up. I loved the forest green with yellow.

JewishHobbit
02-09-2011, 11:50 PM
I read somewhere that it isn' here to stay, just visiting. I'm hoping that's right. I like the costume but it'll get old quick.

TheCorpulent1
02-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Green looks way better. I am not a fan of his whiteness. [/not racist]

Sebastos
02-11-2011, 09:58 PM
I read somewhere that it isn' here to stay, just visiting. I'm hoping that's right. I like the costume but it'll get old quick.
That's good to hear. I mean I like it too, but I want Danny to switch back to the green and yellow.

Anyone read Heroes for Hire #3? Iron Fist goodness. :awesome:

http://i56.tinypic.com/fciowl.jpg

Dread
02-11-2011, 10:03 PM
It did. It was bad-ass. :up:

Not for nothing, but Iron Fist ended up bad ass at the end of SHADOWLAND #5 as well. I can't think of too many other events where he pretty much got in the deciding blow on the big bad - especially a story in which Wolverine, Ghost Rider, Punisher, and Spider-Man were all present.

Sebastos
02-16-2011, 09:01 PM
^^ Agreed. :up:

Iron Fist in May Solicitations:

Iron Fist in May Solicitations:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2q9dze1.jpg
POWER MAN AND IRON FIST #5 (of 5)
Written by FRED VAN LENTE
Penciled by WELLINTON ALVES
Cover by MIKE PERKINS
WHO KILLED CRIME-BUSTER? Power Man and Iron Fist, our non-profit private eyes have figured it out, but they have to fight their through every homicidal maniac in SEAGATE PRISON to prove it! Plus: Noir's true identity! The fate of Vic Alvarez's girlfriend! The Divine Right! Commedia Dell'Morte! Dogs and cats living together! Van Lente and Alves bring you the senses shattering conclusion!
32 PGS./Rated A …$2.99
http://i53.tinypic.com/161ygwg.jpg
IRON MAN 2.0 #5
Written by NICK SPENCER
Art by ARIEL OLIVETTI
Cover by SALVADOR LARROCA
FEAR ITSELF TIE-IN
One of the major villains of FEAR ITSELF shows up to claim his power and wreak havoc right in the pages of 2.0. Rhodey must join forces with Danny Rand, the Immortal Iron Fist, and the Immortal Weapons if he hopes to win the day!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

I'm really pleased to see that Danny and the Immortal Weapons are going to team up with Rhodey. :up:

JewishHobbit
02-17-2011, 09:35 AM
I'm just happy to see the Immortal Weapons back. Prince of Orphans has been cool over in this arc of Secret Avengers but I miss Fat Cobra and the rest.

Dread
02-17-2011, 05:07 PM
I love how Sal Larroca hasn't gotten the memo that Rand is in his Phoenix colors now. :up:

I don't read IRON MAN 2.0, but I am tempted to grab this crossover issue. After all, Iron Fist got me to read a random issue of DEADPOOL TEAM-UP. But then again, so did Gorilla-Man. And Hercules. ;)

JewishHobbit
02-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Wouldn't that be the colorist's memo? Or does he do coloring too?

TheCorpulent1
02-17-2011, 09:26 PM
I'm guessing "fgd" did the coloring, whoever that is. I think Larroca does ink his own work...

Sebastos
02-17-2011, 09:34 PM
I'm hoping it's a sign Danny switches back to the green and yellow.

Dread
02-17-2011, 10:12 PM
Wouldn't that be the colorist's memo? Or does he do coloring too?

Fair point. Colorist errors are as old as time. Some characters have had their eyes, hair, even SKIN TONES change because of it. :o

I'm hoping it's a sign Danny switches back the green and yellow.

Maybe he rotates depending on the day. "Today is a green day, tomorrow is a white day, and Thursday is the collar & slippers day."

NDX
02-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Not enough heroes have choices. Variety should be a must when defending the public.

TheCorpulent1
02-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Maybe he rotates depending on the day. "Today is a green day, tomorrow is a white day, and Thursday is the collar & slippers day."
Every day should be a collar and slippers day. :o

Dread
02-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Every day should be a collar and slippers day. :o

It does get embarrassing if he shows up to a fight and Kraven is wearing the same ballet slippers and Dr. Strange has the same collar. Hence why it is good to have options.

TheCorpulent1
02-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Nonsense. Iron Fist's collar is the king of collars.

TheCorpulent1
02-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Nonsense. Iron Fist's collar is the king of collars.

NDX
02-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Saying it twice won't make it any more true.

TheCorpulent1
02-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Good thing it's already true, then. :)

Sebastos
02-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Yes!

Iron Fist Symbol Fist Of Iron T-Shirt!

http://i51.tinypic.com/1445lrq.jpg

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/search.asp?q=Iron+Fist+Midtown+Exclusive

So getting one!

JewishHobbit
02-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Dude!!!!! Me wantsy!!!

Sebastos
02-19-2011, 09:47 PM
*high five* :awesome:

NDX
02-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Yes!

So getting one!

Double XL largest size.And I get snubbed again. :csad:

TheCorpulent1
02-20-2011, 12:08 AM
Needs more collar. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/thecorpulent1/Smilies/userArmsCrossed.gif

JewishHobbit
02-20-2011, 02:16 AM
It could be a button up shirt that you could turn the collar upward on.

Dread
02-20-2011, 02:24 AM
Yes!

So getting one!

I should get one, too. I actually live about an hour's subway right from Midtown Comics...

NDX
02-20-2011, 03:22 AM
I should get one, too. I actually love about an hour's subway right from Midtown Comics...
About a 2 hour ride for me (slow buses in Queens). The hats they have cost too much, and are all fitted. My head is between sizes, I need flexfit.

Sebastos
02-25-2011, 09:08 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/ip1cw4.jpg

:hehe:

Hound55
03-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Yes!

So getting one!

I'd love it if you could get a long sleeved, thin skin-tight one...

Scarecrow_King
03-03-2011, 12:17 AM
I wish the symbol was a little smaller. it looks too big to me.

Sebastos
12-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Had to bring this thread back for old time sakes, the sheer awesomeness of Aja knows no bounds. David Aja did this Iron Fist piece, apparently it was the most talked about piece at the convention because of what he did to it. Full story by the lucky fan:

David Aja was the first person I went to on Saturday morning, I love his work on Daredevil and Iron Fist so it was a no brainier. Luckily he was in another hall from Adam Hughes and Tim Sale meaning I was easily able to get second in que. I love this piece the amount of time he gives to his fans is amazing and the quality of pieces are beautiful he made a lot of people happy that weekend me especially. This piece became the word of the convention due to how he finished it. After he had finished the piece I asked if he would take a photo. He said sure but it wasn't finished yet he told me to take a photo while he did it. To everyone's surprise he pulls out a lighter to which he says "trust me" he sets fire to the edge of the piece as shown in the photo. Its giving the piece a grate effect and has truly made it unique! I can't thank him enough this was more then enough to make the convention for me!
Thank you so much David I hope you come back soon!

http://i44.tinypic.com/2u44z2p.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2wcqwas.jpg

Iron Fist punches through the page!

venom892
12-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Aja is a beast.

JewishHobbit
12-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Aja's the man. Does he have anything coming out soon?

Sebastos
12-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Not that I know of, the last comic he worked on was Secret Avengers. Would love to see him on an Iron Fist mini or something along the lines of that...

NDX
12-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Wish he drew the arc of Wolverine with Fat Cobra and Gorilla Man, Not that the art wasn't bad, it was very good. But I like Aja's better.

JewishHobbit
12-04-2011, 04:37 PM
He drew a Wolverine One-shot and I nearly bought it for that reason. I passed on it because it was a big week and I couldn't justify buying a pointless Wolverine One-shot for $4, but it looked pretty when I skimmed it.

BLACKVULCAN
12-04-2011, 04:41 PM
yes!

iron fist symbol fist of iron t-shirt!

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/search.asp?q=iron+fist+midtown+exclusive

so getting one!
dude! That is bad ass!! I want one!

kguillou
12-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Why the hell doesnt Aja have a steady gig? Better yet, why isn't he drawing an Ironfist book?!!!

NDX
12-04-2011, 05:21 PM
He drew a Wolverine One-shot and I nearly bought it for that reason. I passed on it because it was a big week and I couldn't justify buying a pointless Wolverine One-shot for $4, but it looked pretty when I skimmed it.

It wasn't bad. Okay read, great art.

JewishHobbit
12-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Why the hell doesnt Aja have a steady gig? Better yet, why isn't he drawing an Ironfist book?!!!

The only problem I have with Aja is that he sometimes traces his own panels (which is better than other things like Land does in nearly every panel) but I can get over that because of how good he is.

Hound55
12-05-2011, 04:02 AM
Hell, I'll take him drawing a Shang-Chi book...

CConn
12-05-2011, 09:07 AM
It would be a great two issues until Marcel cancelled it.

JewishHobbit
12-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Which is about all my wallet could afford so I'd be down with that :up:

kguillou
12-05-2011, 09:27 AM
It would be a great two issues until Marcel cancelled it.

Isn't it a shame that this is what its come to? How this market can't support anything other than spiderman/x-men/avengers? Even if we could get Aja drawing an ironfist book, how long would it realistically last? I'm assuming the sales on his last ongoing weren't very good.

Colossal Spoons
11-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Fat Cobra was in Wolverine and the X-Men #19 :D

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/375/fatcobra.jpg

JewishHobbit
11-17-2012, 01:26 PM
Yeah, that made me happy :)

Colossal Spoons
11-17-2012, 02:01 PM
I miss this book somethin' serious

bored
11-17-2012, 02:23 PM
Fraction got a hold of Iron Fist again for "Defenders", then killed the Immortal Weapons, then negated their deaths. So, there's the big upside to "Defenders" getting cancelled.

JewishHobbit
11-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Yeah, Fraction writing Iron Fist again was what drew me to Defenders. Man, what a disappointment that was.

NDX
11-17-2012, 04:06 PM
It was a horrible book. I regret reading all 12 issues of it. And it could have all been avoided and I would have missed out on nothing.

Glad to see that the Immortal Weapons' deaths were undone.

Quasimod0
11-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Where will iron fist and Luke cage be in marvel now?

Colossal Spoons
11-17-2012, 06:15 PM
I knew to avoid Defenders just because Fraction was writing. That guy has fallen so far.

Sebastos
11-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Where will iron fist and Luke cage be in marvel now?

Not sure, but Iron Fist will be teaming up with Doop in A+X #5:

http://i48.tinypic.com/w01htj.jpg

NDX
11-17-2012, 09:46 PM
I knew to avoid Defenders just because Fraction was writing. That guy has fallen so far.

Hawkeye's been good, and I enjoyed the first issue of his Fantastic Four. But he's definitely hit or miss. And a lot of miss lately.

JewishHobbit
11-17-2012, 09:57 PM
I've been buying Iron Fist comics and storing them in my comics filing cabnet under the Iron Fist name. It actually reads fairly well as a continuation of the Immortal Iron Fist. The only real errors are whether or not he's a billionaire working with Rand Enterprises or if he's broke and running a dojo for kids. That annoys me some but I can get over it.

In case anyone wants to continue the adventures of Danny Rand in a reading order that's best for Iron Fist fans I'll list it below. Danny's not always in every issue but it's there for a reason.

Immortal Weapons 1-5
Thunderbolts 137
Deadpool Team-Up 886
Shadowland: Power Man 1-4 (you can also add Shadowland proper since Danny's a decent roll there)
New Avengers (vol. 2) 1-6
I Am An Avengers 1 (Danny story)
Heroes for Hire 1-5
Power Man and Iron Fist 1-5
Iron Man 2.0 5-7 (note... this story has a big reveal about Danny that's never been followed up on regarding New Avengers 1-6, so it might be ignore worthy if nothing comes of it, but the story is good at least)

Colossal Spoons
11-17-2012, 10:25 PM
Hawkeye's been good, and I enjoyed the first issue of his Fantastic Four. But he's definitely hit or miss. And a lot of miss lately.

I'd give his F4 a shot, but Hickman kinda soured me on the franchise for a little while.

Hound55
11-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Hickman's awesomeness soured me on the thought of anyone else touching the Fantastic Four for a while.

JewishHobbit
11-17-2012, 10:50 PM
I've not read FF since Waid... but Fraction's just soured me.

Colossal Spoons
11-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Well I'm glad we're all sour lol. Anybody bitter?

Hound55
11-17-2012, 11:30 PM
I ordered the pint of lemon, lime and why'd-they-have-to-crush-my-dreams-by-ending-Immortal-Ironn-Fist-and-Moon-Knight's-ongoings-bitterness.

NDX
11-17-2012, 11:58 PM
I'm bitter over Ghost Rider's treatment as a whole the last few years. Does that count?

JewishHobbit
11-18-2012, 06:44 AM
I keep thinking that I'm going to read that run of Ghost Rider with his hunting down Lucifer and the whole angel thing. I think that just sounds interesting as can be.

Now granted, I've never been a huge fan of the character so I don't have much to cling to. I sorta liked Danny Katch during his early days but not enough to care if things change... and I hear they did.

venom892
11-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Jason Aaron's run on Ghost Rider was gold and highly underrated.I think its some of his best work.I stopped following Iron Fist, after Immortal ended as I didn't want to read Bendis's Avengers.I also didn't buy Defenders because Fraction burned me on Uncanny X-men.I won't be trying him out anytime soon.Honestly I'm surprised they didn't take Marvel Now! as an opportunity to launch an Avengers for Hire book including Iron Fist,Cage and a few other guys who are currently not being used like Moon Knight.I think it would be a nice concept.

TheCorpulent1
11-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider pissed me off because he took a big, steaming dump all over Dan Ketch in it.

Matt Fraction's Thor and Hawkeye have soured me on any and all things Fraction for pretty much forever.

Still looking forward to Iron Fist and Doop, though. :)

JewishHobbit
11-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Was Aaron the first or second writer on that series? I don't know anything about the run with Danny. I had bought the Civil War aftermath tie-in issues of the seies when Jack-O-Lantern's body was possessed by pieces of Lucifer. That was some good stuff and made me want to keep going on it, though I never did.

TheCorpulent1
11-18-2012, 06:31 PM
I think it was Daniel Way and then Aaron. But I could be mixing up Ghost Rider series.

JewishHobbit
11-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Way sounds right.

NDX
11-18-2012, 11:36 PM
For the 2006 series, it was Daniel Way for the first 19 issues, Jason Aaron for the issues 20 - 35 and the Heaven's On Fire mini. I believe it was Simon Spurrier who did the Ghost Rider: Danny Ketch: Addict mini that accompanies the series. I don't know who wrote the 2 annuals.

In the 90s, it was Howard Mackie and Ivan Valez, Jr. (who I still curse to this day).

JewishHobbit
11-19-2012, 06:50 AM
Yeah, I liked that Howard Mackie run. I followed it up to just shy of that big 19-part crossover. And Way is the run I'm wanting to try out.

Thanks NDX :up:

NDX
11-19-2012, 08:25 PM
No problem. If it's one thing I know, it's Ghost Rider since the 90s. Mackie's run had a lot of ups and downs. The first 28 issues, the Midnight Sons crossover and the Spirits of Vengeance spinoff's first 15 issues was the best issues, for me. The 30s was mainly filler, and the 40s the stories and crossovers picked up with Road to Vengeance: The Missing Link, Midnight Massacre and the horrible Siege of Darkness (the **** man, seriously?). And back to mainly filler for the next 25 issues, Mackie heads off to write Spider-Man and Ivan Valez comes in and ****s it all up.

Then that Hammer Lane mini most try to forget, Ennis's (for me) lackluster mini Road to Damnation, and to Way's run, which I actually prefer over Aaron's run. I like Aaron, but like with his Wolverine, it was just too over the top at times for me. I just didn't like it at first. Reading it monthly didn't work at all. Omnibus works better, but still, I find Way's run much better.

... uhh, yeah. So, Iron Fist everyone!

JewishHobbit
11-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Aaron should write an Iron Fist ongoing.

Colossal Spoons
11-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Eh, Aaron's a bit inconsistent. I'd want Fraction back.

JewishHobbit
11-19-2012, 09:21 PM
I don't want Fraction anymore unless he's partnered with Bru again.

I think Iron Fist fits well with what Aaron does, though I think Remender would do best. He wrote the one Thunderbolts issue with Iron Fist and Luke Cage and he did a fantastic job with him as a character. The issue was probably my favorite of the whole Dark Reign run.

Colossal Spoons
11-19-2012, 09:27 PM
I forgot Bru co-wrote that with him. Yeah I essentially want that entire creative team back; Aja included.

Remender would be interesting...

NDX
11-19-2012, 09:27 PM
I'm burnt out on Aaron's writing. Just barely tolerate Wolverine and the X-Men. I'd rather he stay away from Iron Fist. Unless he tackled it like he did Punisher MAX, more realistic and less grindhousey.

Colossal Spoons
11-19-2012, 09:32 PM
I love WatXM but his recent run on Incredible Hulk was a chore to read.

NDX
11-19-2012, 09:34 PM
I gave that up after 7 issues. It started off fine, I liked the direction, and then it just went into a giant cluster****y circle. I was done. One of the reasons I'm burnt out on Aaron.

Colossal Spoons
11-19-2012, 09:37 PM
You gonna give Waid's run a shot? Yu's art turns some people off, but I dig it.

NDX
11-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Yu's is one of my top artists, so I'm definitely going to give the first arc a read. See if it's worth following after that. Doing that with all those "Marvel NOW!" titles. Although I see me dropping a lot of them very quickly (which saddens because I know 2 of those titles with be Nova and GotG).

Colossal Spoons
11-19-2012, 09:54 PM
I really wanna know if Loeb's Nova will have Richard Rider turn up eventually. I get that this new kid is in the Spidey cartoon but I need him to go away quickly.

GoTG was looking good until the inclusion of Iron Man and an attempt to make it more relevant to Earth.

TheCorpulent1
11-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Aaron's first issue of Thor: God of Thunder was awesome, so he's okay in my book. I'm also still enjoying Wolverine and the X-Men. Didn't bother with his Hulk run because I heard it was about the Hulk and Banner going to war, which is stupid to me. I'm very much looking forward to Waid's run, though.

NDX
11-19-2012, 10:03 PM
I have no faith in GotG after their appearance in Avengers Assemble. Iron Man or not. And apparently Richard Rider's story has been told. For him, dead is dead. Even though Thanos and Star-Lord can come back all they want. Because MOVIE!

Colossal Spoons
11-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Aaron's first issue of Thor: God of Thunder was awesome, so he's okay in my book. I'm also still enjoying Wolverine and the X-Men. Didn't bother with his Hulk run because I heard it was about the Hulk and Banner going to war, which is stupid to me. I'm very much looking forward to Waid's run, though.

Nice, I really hope he does a good job w/ Thor. I only wish WaTXM would get more serious. It feels a bit irrelevant to me.

I have no faith in GotG after their appearance in Avengers Assemble. Iron Man or not. And apparently Richard Rider's story has been told. For him, dead is dead. Even though Thanos and Star-Lord can come back all they want. Because MOVIE!

I wanted no parts of Avengers Assemble b/c I dislike the movie roster. Shame about Rider, if he really is dead for good. My resentment towards this new kid just got stronger.

NDX
11-19-2012, 10:16 PM
I bet they won't even explain how this Nova got his powers. Or how his suit looks like Garthan Saal's.

TheCorpulent1
11-20-2012, 11:21 PM
Doesn't really matter to me either way. Loeb's writing the new Nova, which automatically equates to my not reading it.

Mad Ones
11-21-2012, 12:09 AM
I don't really like how the new Nova is being pushed. I keep reading about his amazing introduction in AvX and how important he was. But he felt so shoehorned into the story. And he didn't add much.

NDX
11-21-2012, 12:18 AM
Oh, yeah, he was in that story, wasn't he?

Colossal Spoons
11-21-2012, 12:54 AM
Tackled the Phoenix and did nothing else.

TheCorpulent1
11-21-2012, 01:36 AM
Well, he also warned everyone the Phoenix was coming in the first place. Remember? Way back in the first Point One one-shot? No? I don't blame you. :oldrazz:

Specter313
01-18-2014, 02:52 PM
http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/imglib/0/0/1/IRONFIST2014001-Andrews-c1ec8.jpg

Iron Fist: Living Weapon #1
KAARE ANDREWS (W)
KAARE ANDREWS (A/C)
VARIANT COVER BY DALE KEOWN
Animal VARIANT COVER BY MIKE DEL MUNDO
Young Variant by Skottie Young
Blank Cover Variant Also Available
High above the city, in a multi-million dollar penthouse, Danny Rand, a.k.a. Iron Fist, “The Living Weapon,” is haunted by the consequences of choosing death over life. A message from Iron Fist’s mystical homeland of K’un-Lun brings Danny back to his blood soaked origin of betrayal and vengeance! Revenge is a weapon that cuts both ways.... Will Danny survive the bloodletting? A one-of-a-kind kung fu action epic directed by the inimitable Kaare Andrews!
32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$3.99

Specter313
02-22-2014, 05:34 PM
http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/imglib/0/0/1/IRONFIST2014002-JG-Jones-cov-f481e.jpg

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/imglib/0/0/1/IRONFIST2014002-text-layer-Andrews-5b4e3.jpg

Iron Fist: Living Weapon #2
Kaare Andrews (W) • Kaare Andrews (A/C)
Artist Variant by J.G. JONES
• K’UN LUN under attack!
• Danny Rand returns to the aid of his adopted home, but will he make it in time?
• More of the secret origin of Iron Fist!
32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$3.99

Specter313
04-06-2014, 05:12 PM
http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/preview/0/0/1/IRONFIST2014001-DC11-d2c9d.jpg

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/preview/0/0/1/IRONFIST2014001-int2-1-32b7a.jpg

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/preview/0/0/1/IRONFIST2014001-int2-2-44cfb.jpg

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/preview/0/0/1/IRONFIST2014001-int2-3-62a45.jpg

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/preview/0/0/1/IRONFIST2014001-int2-4-d184d.jpg

Colossal Spoons
04-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Cannot wait for this

Specter313
05-04-2014, 04:50 PM
http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/preview/0/0/1/IRONFIST2014002-DC11-1421c.jpg

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/preview/0/0/1/IRONFIST2014002-int2-1-b8c39.jpg

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/preview/0/0/1/IRONFIST2014002-int2-2-a0e69.jpg

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/preview/0/0/1/IRONFIST2014002-int2-3-13c87.jpg

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/preview/0/0/1/IRONFIST2014002-int2-4-6222d.jpg

NDX
05-04-2014, 05:08 PM
The art is great, but I didn't like the first issue much. Gonna follow this still, but I don't know for how long.

Colossal Spoons
05-05-2014, 02:45 PM
Davos! *swoon*

ElScrago
05-12-2014, 08:47 AM
First series I've got on board with each issue for a very long time. I haven't been a regular subscriber to a book, outside of grabbing trades since the Onslaught saga. It has been amazing so far. Really captured my imagination as a new reader.

Colossal Spoons
05-16-2014, 09:19 PM
Just finished the first issue. I've never heard of this writer but if he keeps this up, he's got a new fan. The art is weird, but it fits the book. I miss Aja though.

NDX
05-16-2014, 09:34 PM
Second issue was much better than the first. Hope the upturn continues.

Specter313
05-18-2014, 03:03 PM
Just finished the first issue. I've never heard of this writer but if he keeps this up, he's got a new fan. The art is weird, but it fits the book. I miss Aja though.

You don't remember Kaare Andrews? He was the guy who wrote and drew that Spider-Man: Reign series, with the old man Spidey, where the first issue drew all that outrage due to the fact that we saw his shriveled spidey-willy, and learned MJ died from cancer given to her from his radioactive man juices.

I'm not making this up. :o

Colossal Spoons
05-18-2014, 03:19 PM
I don't remember that aaaaand I'm kinda glad after hearing that description lol

KevanG
05-18-2014, 03:47 PM
Ignoring the spider semen and related things I liked Reign. I hope this book works out though. IF is a neat character.

JewishHobbit
05-20-2014, 10:29 AM
I'm not really digging the art at all to be honest. It's kinda putting me off.

PWN3R
05-20-2014, 09:16 PM
You don't remember Kaare Andrews? He was the guy who wrote and drew that Spider-Man: Reign series, with the old man Spidey, where the first issue drew all that outrage due to the fact that we saw his shriveled spidey-willy, and learned MJ died from cancer given to her from his radioactive man juices.

I'm not making this up. :o

I still have those somewhere. It was only four issues. But worth it just for that glorious Spider-sack.

I'm liking this new series so far, but I miss Aja too.

chamber-music
10-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Looking forward to the new Power Man and Iron Fist book

JewishHobbit
10-06-2015, 06:14 PM
Wait... what?

TO GOOGLE!!!

Colossal Spoons
10-07-2015, 07:13 AM
I saw something about it on Free Comic Book Day. Who's writing it?

JewishHobbit
10-07-2015, 09:08 AM
Walker is writing it (the guy who writes Cyborg for DC). I forget the artist's name, but he drew the Secret Wars Runaways mini. No big name stuff, but I'll take it. Can't be worse than the god awful Iron Fist series that just wrapped.