The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   DC Comics (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Morrison's Multiversity (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=323622)

JonathanKNathan 05-04-2009 08:11 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOUD_SILENT_MAN (Post 16869449)
Cyclops becoming an actual character for once is a bad thing?

For further reference on why this is true, see everything X-Men-related since Messiah Complex. A horrific personality is worse than no personality at all.

hippie_hunter 05-04-2009 08:38 PM

I dunno, I guess I'd rather see Scott act like his First Class incarnation than his uber dick like incarnation.

JonathanKNathan 05-04-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippie_hunter (Post 16870119)
I dunno, I guess I'd rather see Scott act like his First Class incarnation than his uber dick like incarnation.

Well me too, but I'd also rather see him act like cardboard than his uberdick incarnation. I think I'd rather see him dead, honestly. You know whose characterization doesn't get screwed up? Uncle Ben's, that's who.

Max Shrek 05-04-2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianWilly (Post 16864362)
New X-Men? Critically acclaimed. #1 chart-topper for months upon months. And frakzillions of people -- I'd say around 50% of the fanbase, easy -- hated it. Hell, off the top of my head I can't really think of anyone other than myself who really loved it.

Ooh, ooh, me, me!:woot:

Manic 05-04-2009 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonathanKNathan (Post 16870265)
You know whose characterization doesn't get screwed up? Uncle Ben's, that's who.

Thank god he's still the only comic book character who the "dead means dead" rule applies to. The more dead he stays, the less likely he is to get screwed up.

CBG 05-04-2009 11:46 PM

Eh. I'll follow.

TheCorpulent1 05-05-2009 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippie_hunter (Post 16870119)

The worst part is that he was so good right before that. In Astonishing X-Men, that gambit with the gun, followed by that wry, slightly cocky "X-Men don't shoot people"? Classic. That was like Cyclops mixed with Han Solo and it worked perfectly. Dude's been a leader and the best of his class for his entire life--he should be a little bit cocky and have a roguish charm about him. But no, instead we get Scott the dick, ordering secret death squads around and declaring himself the uncrowned king of all mutants everywhere by way of some imagined moral superiority.

BrianWilly 05-06-2009 11:09 PM

In-depth Morrison interview.
Quote:

We know about the Charlton Earth-4 and the Shazam Earth-5, what other Earths will we see?

One is without designation yet. It’s with all of the nineties characters because I really miss those guys, like Connor Hawke. It’s kind of version where they first had Earth-2 and Earth-2 was the older guys from the Golden Age. This is those guys but they’re not the main heroes. There’s a whole younger generation of heroes – kind of media brats almost. There’s a comic about them.
I will buy this until it bleeds. And then I will buy it some more.

yenaled 05-07-2009 02:07 AM

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.

TheCorpulent1 05-07-2009 08:56 AM

Sweet, I hope we get the non-nerfed versions of those characters. I would live on that world.

JonathanKNathan 05-07-2009 12:24 PM

I'm glad Morrison is doing this, and I'm pretty sure I've literally had conversations with people to the effect of, "Wouldn't it be great if Grant Morrison wrote a Kyle Rayner/Connor Hawke/Wally West/etc JLA book?" But at the same time, isn't this just giving DC an excuse to never give a **** about the characters again?

TheCorpulent1 05-07-2009 01:23 PM

No more than it's giving them excuses to never give a f*** about the Charlton characters or the Captain Marvel family again.

JonathanKNathan 05-07-2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 (Post 16884358)
No more than it's giving them excuses to never give a f*** about the Charlton characters or the Captain Marvel family again.

And they didn't really need one anyway, point taken.

TheCorpulent1 05-07-2009 07:37 PM

I just hope Morrison does right by Captain Atom. Lord knows the guy could use a break right about now, even if it is just an alterna-verse copy of him.

Watchman 07-12-2010 02:47 PM

Rise thread!

Looks like we're getting some news about this at Comic Con.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Cool
So what can we expect from DC Comics at San Diego? Well, in a reversal of recent convention policy, announcements. Lots of them.

Including all ten artists to be announced on Grant Morrison’s upcoming massive multiverse comic.

Though I hear that Yanick Paquette is one. David Finch is another. As is Frank Quitely.

Drz 07-12-2010 02:49 PM

Was this gonna have a Nazi Batman, or just Nazi Superman & Supergirl? I'm probably mostly interested in Superdemon, Aquaman & Doc Fate tho!

Tron Bonne 07-12-2010 03:17 PM

I forgot all about this thing. I'm still kind of interested in it

Quote:

Originally Posted by WompuM (Post 16840094)
Wow. This sounds.... hmm. What's the relationship between Moore and Morrison? Can grant really pitch his own Watchmen without alienation Moore even more?

God, I know this is a really old post, and I bet Womp doesn't even remember, but in case he does, I'm kind of curious what exactly you meant here

fifthfiend 07-12-2010 04:48 PM

I always thought the best characterization for Scott was basically totally repressed, tightly wound ******* who's so tightly wound because he knows that if he ever unwound he'd turn into the kind of ******* he is now.

fifthfiend 07-12-2010 04:51 PM

Like to my mind if you write the absolutely perfect, ideal Cyclops, then absolutely nobody likes him, including himself, but everyone who isn't an idiot realizes that without him the team falls apart and then everybody dies. Which still doesn't make anyone actually like him any better.

Kurosawa 07-12-2010 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watchman (Post 16839774)
Got this off Newsarama,

Sounds great. I hope he covers the pulp heroes earth and the "Halloween" earth.

Looking forward to the Marvel Family Earth a lot. Not so crazy about the Charlton Earth, as one of the things about Watchmen that I found relieving is that they did it with other characters and therefore didn't smear Ditko's characters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 (Post 16865164)
Scott's had so much bad characterization over the years that that basically is his proper characterization at this point. :csad:

As far as I'm concerned, Jean has been dead since Uncanny XMen #137 and Cyclops hasn't been seen since #138. They have ruined both characters beyond repair. And I am a huge Cyclops fan.

Watchman 07-12-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurosawa (Post 18531429)
Looking forward to the Marvel Family Earth a lot. Not so crazy about the Charlton Earth, as one of the things about Watchmen that I found relieving is that they did it with other characters and therefore didn't smear Ditko's characters.

Morrison writes an excellent Captain Marvel so it will be nice to have a proper Marvel Family back and I know that Morrison won't shy away from things like Uncle Marvel and Hoppy.

SpideyInATree 07-13-2010 12:34 PM

This is great news! I remember hearing about this on a podcast I listened to like over a year ago and just kind of forgot about it. Good to see that it's still going to come to fruition. I've become a big Morrison fan through his Seven Soldiers of Victory and his amazing Batman run. I'm very much looking forward to see how this project turns out.

Drz 07-23-2010 02:46 PM

Frank Quitely was just confirmed as an artist for one of the Multiversity issues. Morrison is thinking Multiversity might come next summer.

Cain 07-23-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watchman (Post 18531921)
Morrison writes an excellent Captain Marvel so it will be nice to have a proper Marvel Family back and I know that Morrison won't shy away from things like Uncle Marvel and Hoppy.

My dream has been that when he got done with Batman he'd fix the **** outta the convoluted mess that is the New Earth DCU Marvel family in a new book. Forget the multiverse redeem them in the canon lol though I do look forward to this book though.

Drz 07-23-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cain (Post 18575959)
My dream has been that when he got done with Batman he'd fix the **** outta the convoluted mess that is the New Earth DCU Marvel family in a new book. Forget the multiverse redeem them in the canon lol though I do look forward to this book though.

Haha Cain it's so funny that you posted this RIGHT now! Guess what Morrison just said in Comic Con?:
Quote:

Any chance Morrison might take on the Marvel (Shazam) family? Morrison said that one of the Multiversity titles will be a 38-pager called "Thunder World," and contains "everything I wanted to say about those characters."
38 pages doesn't seem too bad, right?:)