The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   DC Comics (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Morrison's Multiversity (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=323622)

Cain 07-23-2010 03:16 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drz (Post 18575983)
Haha Cain it's so funny that you posted this RIGHT now! Guess what Morrison just said in Comic Con?:


38 pages doesn't seem too bad, right?:)


It's not bringing Billy back as Cap and putting Freddie back where he belongs as well as not making Mary bipolar anymore, but 38 pgs? lol it would do for now :yay:

TheCorpulent1 07-23-2010 03:22 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
Someone should really fix the Marvel family in the canon. I'm not sure why they screwed them up so badly, but it's a really easy fix.

Cain 07-23-2010 03:23 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 (Post 18576075)
Someone should really fix the Marvel family in the canon. I'm not sure why they screwed them up so badly, but it's a really easy fix.

Same reason Aquaman has been screwed up a lot over the years, a lot of writers just don't GET these characters.

TheCorpulent1 07-23-2010 03:31 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
Well, in Aquaman's case, I think writers get him pretty well but readers simply don't pay attention. I loved Aquaman's last series during the Sub Diego era, but the sales were just never that strong, prompting DC to scrap all the stuff they did with Sub Diego, drastically change Aquaman himself, and hand it over to Busiek to build a replacement. Dumb move that had some interesting stories in the beginning, but that predictably failed to gain readers as well. As much as I b**** about Johns' retcon-happy style being applied to Arthur now, I can't argue with the fact that he will at least rake in readers and possibly create a good batch of new Aquaman fans.

Cain 07-23-2010 03:54 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 (Post 18576165)
Well, in Aquaman's case, I think writers get him pretty well but readers simply don't pay attention. I loved Aquaman's last series during the Sub Diego era, but the sales were just never that strong, prompting DC to scrap all the stuff they did with Sub Diego, drastically change Aquaman himself, and hand it over to Busiek to build a replacement. Dumb move that had some interesting stories in the beginning, but that predictably failed to gain readers as well. As much as I b**** about Johns' retcon-happy style being applied to Arthur now, I can't argue with the fact that he will at least rake in readers and possibly create a good batch of new Aquaman fans.


I think it's a combo of both. Many readers are only familiar with the DC icons on a very shallow basis. Let's face it the majority of comic book readers are more forgiving and open to reading Marvel no matter how much things get mucked up there. DC makes one gaff it's the end of the world every good they do aside from that is never acknowledged. So with that mindstate being that Orin has been the butt of many pop culture jokes it's not easy to get people to read his book. So they miss out on a great character just by being so ignorant.

However writers like McLaughlin, Larsen even to an extent Jurgens & David (who's work with the character I did enjoy) didn't do him any favors by painting him as a Namor clone. It's not that these guys aren't talented either but they mostly really didn't GET it.

I did like the Sub Diego stuff a lot though. I feel that Veicht and Arcudi did wonders with all that stuff. They not only brought back the sensibilities of the silver age stories (which I've enjoyed greatly in collections) with a modern edge without compromising Arthur's individuality. They also made some of the more questionable directions prior to it somewhat coherent in the context of it all. It's a real shame that ship just sank without ever finishing it's course.

Busiek I admire for the ambition but the guy was WAY in over his head. Again another talented guy who really didn't know what he was doing. There were some interesting ideas there, and the presentation was epic at times but it just didn't FEEL anything like an Aquaman book at all. I'm with you all the way on the Johns thing.

I completely hate what he's doing cause there are ways to make him interesting to non fans without having to retcon at this rapid rate. However since everybody has such a jones for the guy at least maybe Aquaman will no longer be the "guy who talks to fish" in the eyes of the majority of our fellow comic geeks who are possibly some of the most ignorant ****heads in the universe. So at least it's got that going for it.

Drz 07-23-2010 04:40 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
Frazen Irving confirmed for one of the Multiversity artists.

Cain 07-23-2010 04:41 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
It was pretty obvious though. Expect a Cameron Stewart or even Phillip Tan announcement too.

TheCorpulent1 07-23-2010 05:28 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cain (Post 18576409)
I think it's a combo of both. Many readers are only familiar with the DC icons on a very shallow basis. Let's face it the majority of comic book readers are more forgiving and open to reading Marvel no matter how much things get mucked up there. DC makes one gaff it's the end of the world every good they do aside from that is never acknowledged. So with that mindstate being that Orin has been the butt of many pop culture jokes it's not easy to get people to read his book. So they miss out on a great character just by being so ignorant.

However writers like McLaughlin, Larsen even to an extent Jurgens & David (who's work with the character I did enjoy) didn't do him any favors by painting him as a Namor clone. It's not that these guys aren't talented either but they mostly really didn't GET it.

I did like the Sub Diego stuff a lot though. I feel that Veicht and Arcudi did wonders with all that stuff. They not only brought back the sensibilities of the silver age stories (which I've enjoyed greatly in collections) with a modern edge without compromising Arthur's individuality. They also made some of the more questionable directions prior to it somewhat coherent in the context of it all. It's a real shame that ship just sank without ever finishing it's course.

Busiek I admire for the ambition but the guy was WAY in over his head. Again another talented guy who really didn't know what he was doing. There were some interesting ideas there, and the presentation was epic at times but it just didn't FEEL anything like an Aquaman book at all. I'm with you all the way on the Johns thing.

I completely hate what he's doing cause there are ways to make him interesting to non fans without having to retcon at this rapid rate. However since everybody has such a jones for the guy at least maybe Aquaman will no longer be the "guy who talks to fish" in the eyes of the majority of our fellow comic geeks who are possibly some of the most ignorant ****heads in the universe. So at least it's got that going for it.

True. I agree with everything except the Marvel part, but we can agree to disagree on that. ;)

I also liked what Tad Williams was doing when the last series got canceled. Once again, as with Arcudi in the later issues of the Sub Diego run, Williams was reintegrating bits and pieces of Aquaman's world that had fallen by the wayside in some interesting ways. He even managed to bring Topo back in a really cool way. He had a good overarching plan, but the readership just wasn't there and DC pulled the plug.

Anyway, so long as the new Aqualad isn't Mera and Black Manta's kid, I'll probably be okay with Johns' retcons.

taskmaster 07-23-2010 06:01 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 (Post 18577271)

Anyway, so long as the new Aqualad isn't Mera and Black Manta's kid, I'll probably be okay with Johns' retcons.

I'm betting on Aqualad being Siren and Black Manta's kid but wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be Mera's. I hope not but it won't bother me too much.

TheCorpulent1 07-23-2010 06:17 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
It would make me physically ill. That would be Aquaman's very own "Sins Past," it'd be so bad to me. :o

Sawyer 07-23-2010 07:13 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
You're all being absurd... Aqualad is clearly the love child of John Stewart and Lori Lemaris. :o

TheCorpulent1 07-23-2010 07:16 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
Now that would be a twist I could get behind. :hehe:

hippie_hunter 07-23-2010 07:43 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
Cameron Stewart will be doing the Captain Marvel issue of Multiversity.

Frank Quitely will be doing the Charlton/Watchmen issue.

Sawyer 07-23-2010 07:44 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hippie_hunter (Post 18578643)
Cameron Stewart will be doing the Captain Marvel issue of Multiversity.

Frank Quitely will be doing the Charlton/Watchmen issue.

:wow::up:

Alastor 07-23-2010 07:47 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hippie_hunter (Post 18578643)
Cameron Stewart will be doing the Captain Marvel issue of Multiversity.

Frank Quitely will be doing the Charlton/Watchmen issue.


:awesome::awesome::awesome:

TheCorpulent1 07-23-2010 07:55 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hippie_hunter (Post 18578643)
Cameron Stewart will be doing the Captain Marvel issue of Multiversity.

Frank Quitely will be doing the Charlton/Watchmen issue.

What about the '90s issue?

Alastor 07-23-2010 07:59 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
Hopefully Rob Liefeld.

TheCorpulent1 07-23-2010 08:01 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
You shut your filthy mouth, sir.

Drz 07-23-2010 08:03 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
What 90s issue?

TheCorpulent1 07-23-2010 08:10 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
Multiversity is supposed to feature an Earth that centers on all of the '90s heroes like Kyle Rayner and Connor Hawke.

Drz 07-23-2010 08:17 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
Awesome! Hopefully Azrael-Batman will be in it too.

TheCorpulent1 07-23-2010 08:48 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
Well, yeah, but hopefully just as Azrael.

Tron Bonne 07-23-2010 08:55 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hippie_hunter (Post 18578643)
Cameron Stewart will be doing the Captain Marvel issue of Multiversity.

Frank Quitely will be doing the Charlton/Watchmen issue.

I like Quitely, but they should totally get Dave Gibbons for that issue

Watchman 07-23-2010 08:55 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drz (Post 18576807)
Frazen Irving confirmed for one of the Multiversity artists.

:up:

I hope he does Halloween World.

Sawyer 07-23-2010 08:56 PM

Re: Morrison's Multiversity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tron Bonne (Post 18579429)
I like Quitely, but they should totally get Dave Gibbons for that issue

That would be awesome too. :up: Either way, I'm pumped for it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com, A property of Mandatory, a divison of AtomicOnline, LLC © 2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.