The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Man of Steel (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   What's your worst fear regarding MOS? (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=455351)

TheFlamingCoco 03-31-2013 02:16 PM

What's your worst fear regarding MOS?

My worst fear is that Cavill's performance will be regarded as okay, even if he does a terrific job as Superman.

And yours?

BH/HHH 03-31-2013 02:37 PM

Re: What's your worst fear regarding MOS?

My worst fear is the box office, I truly believe this film will be the greatest thing I've ever seen but I'm not sure what its gonna make. I think it needs to make 600-700 million worldwide to have a chance off sequel and I'm worried that people may be turned off dye to the previous film Superman Returns. I also think WBs have been away too relaxed with the marketing no Superbowl spot and missing out Wondercon could come back to haunt them.

MrMaooz 03-31-2013 02:44 PM

That the movie sucks. No but in reality yes Cavill is a big concern. Hopefully he has charisma in the role. Not really a fear but I hope it isnt super serious. I want some lightheartedness and comedy.

Blitzkrieg Bop 03-31-2013 02:48 PM

Snyder.

RetrogradeOrbit 03-31-2013 03:00 PM

That I'll die the day before I go to see it...

J-Sentius 03-31-2013 03:02 PM

That I will die before seeing this film.

edit: Great minds!

Moridin 03-31-2013 03:02 PM

"Screenplay by David S Goyer".

Quote:

Originally Posted by BH/HHH (Post 25491265)
I truly believe this film will be the greatest thing I've ever seen

You're setting yourself up for disappointment there, guy. No film will match up to those expectations. Do yourself a favour and check all that stuff at the door of the cinema on the day and go in with a clear head.

Nemeres 03-31-2013 03:10 PM

My biggest fear is that the story will be sloppy and half-assed, with huge leaps in logic, and only a handful of good things (great action, an "epic" feel and cool Zimmer music) deluding people into thinking that it's actually a good movie with some bad stuff, as opposed to the other way around. Pretty much what happened with The Amazing Spider-Man.

It's just a fear, not a justified suspicion.

Mace Bloodstone 03-31-2013 03:18 PM

Not enough action. I don't think that's going to happen but just hope Nolan doesn't have any influence in that area.

RetrogradeOrbit 03-31-2013 03:21 PM

More serious response this time.

I am worried that the film will not live up to my expectations. Even though I am trying to go in as open minded as possible, I so want this film to be epic in story and visuals.

The Batman 03-31-2013 03:43 PM

That this movie is basically the comic equivalent of John Byrne's Man of Steel: a project that dashes away some of the unique aspects of Superman in order to cater to the Marvel comics generation of Superhero fan. To take some of the wonder of Superman and water it down to make it easier to swallow for people.

IamtheBatman 03-31-2013 03:49 PM

No fear because MOS will be Epic.

BH/HHH 03-31-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moridin (Post 25491337)
"Screenplay by David S Goyer".

You're setting yourself up for disappointment there, guy. No film will match up to those expectations. Do yourself a favour and check all that stuff at the door of the cinema on the day and go in with a clear head.

Nope I'm very very confident same way I was for Batman Begins a film I love and its probably my 2nd or 3rd favourite film ever.

X Knight 03-31-2013 04:01 PM

my biggest fear is how they will characterize Clark/Superman.

in their attempts to "humanize" him more, bring more "down to Earth" and off the "untouchable throne," I just hope they don't make Clark too whiny, emo, mopey, unsure of himself, hesitant to act, etc.

I'm all for Clark finding himself and finding his place in the world. but just don't make him too "flawed" that you lose out on the noble qualities of Superman.

GreenKToo 03-31-2013 04:03 PM

That its a really really great film but the public dont give it a chance until the DvD hits....

MrMaooz 03-31-2013 04:08 PM

That Henry and Amy will have no chemistry(not a big fear but still)
Also that critics will hate it because of nostalgia. Also Hans Zimmer's theme. A bunch of people are going to complain about it.

\S/JcDc\S/ 03-31-2013 04:13 PM

My worst fear is that it could end up being a very good movie, but feel detached from what Superman comic book readers have come to love in terms of characterization. i.e. Lois, Jimmy (probably not in this but still...), Perry, Lex (don't know if he has any role), etc. I want to feel like I'm watching those characters, so it would suck if for example I like Amy Adams as Lois but she doesn't feel like Lois to me. Hope that makes sense.

ElDuderino 03-31-2013 04:14 PM

That Cavill will suck. He was terrible in Cold Light of Day -- his American accent was painful to listen to and his acting was cringe-worthy.

Outside of that -- that the marketing will continue to be non-existent.

kedrell 03-31-2013 04:15 PM

Well it's pretty much impossible for my expectations to be too high. I'm not invested in this really at all. I guess my biggest fear is that I go to see the movie and regret the $12.00 I'll end up paying for a ticket.

MrMaooz 03-31-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElDuderino (Post 25491565)
That Cavill will suck. He was terrible in Cold Light of Day -- his American accent was painful to listen to and his acting was cringe-worthy.

Outside of that -- that the marketing will continue to be non-existent.

Yeah I totally forgot about his accent.

\S/JcDc\S/ 03-31-2013 04:17 PM

ElDude I thought he was quite good in Immortals. Cold Light of Day I hear is just a terrible movie regardless of who is in it.

\S/JcDc\S/ 03-31-2013 04:18 PM

If his voice is consistent, in the trailers his v.o. were quite clear and American sounding.

ElDuderino 03-31-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ (Post 25491583)
ElDude I thought he was quite good in Immortals. Cold Light of Day I hear is just a terrible movie regardless of who is in it.

He was okay in Immortals, but he didn't have many lines and wasn't asked to do an American accent.

Cold Light of Day didn't make Cavill's performance horrible. Cavill's performance made Cold Light of Day horrible.

DIRECTOR 03-31-2013 04:46 PM

My fear, which was lacking in SR, was a properly done shirt rip scene

ElDuderino 03-31-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ (Post 25491589)
If his voice is consistent, in the trailers his v.o. were quite clear and American sounding.

Agree, but those were selected quick soundbites. I expect him to have worked on it considerably, and I don't think Snyder would put out a film that isn't on it's face near flawless, but it's still my biggest fear.

I SEE SPIDEY 03-31-2013 04:56 PM

That it will be the Prometheus of 2013. A June film that I am looking forward to that lets me down in every single way with the expection of the visuals. I wouldn't be happy with another TDKR either. I'm keeping my expectations in check though, I'm not hoping for a 10/10 but I am hoping for an 8 and maybe an 8.5/10.

N7 Joseph Shepard 03-31-2013 08:53 PM

mine is that they change to much, it's an adaptation I know, and they said their doing everything new and fresh (so to speak) so changes are to be expected, just please dont do a complete overhaul on the entire character and mythos

Kevin Smith 04-01-2013 02:33 AM

That it's a terrible, even mediocre film, and sets Superman back for 20 years. :(

AnneFan 04-01-2013 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMaooz (Post 25491533)
Also that critics will hate it because of nostalgia. Also Hans Zimmer's theme. A bunch of people are going to complain about it.

The nostalgia thing will come into play, I'm sure. But I have slim to none nostalgia for Superman movies quite frankly. So I'm immune. People will definitely have views about the music too. But let them huff and puff, and let Zimmer be Zimmer. That's why he was hired. It's going to be completely different and should be judged accordingly. Doing something different instead of repeating the same old thing is going to reinvigorate the brand. Like the new suit.

Smallville13 04-01-2013 03:49 AM

If something doesn't work. If the Lois-Supes relationship doesn't work. If Cavill doesn't work. If the heavy tone with massive effects-driven plot doesn't work.

Asr 04-01-2013 03:55 AM

That Michael Shannon will be anything less than awesome as Zod. I've seen what he's capable of from clips of Boardwalk Empire and Take Shelter and want to see him go truly psychotic! I'd love to see him go as crazy on Supes as he's been on Boardwalk Empire! Can you imagine how awesome that would be?!

I'm not worried about Cavill's accent. Most of the movies he's been in have been directed by non-Americans, and MOS is his first big American movie, with a director who's so American that he uses "awesome" in every other sentence. :p So I think Snyder would've caught any of Cavill's accent slip-ups.

Gianakin_ 04-01-2013 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallville13 (Post 25495183)
If something doesn't work. If the Lois-Supes relationship doesn't work. If Cavill doesn't work. If the heavy tone with massive effects-driven plot doesn't work.

You do know that's bound to happen, right? Something is definitely not going to work.

Smallville13 04-01-2013 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gianakin_ (Post 25495195)
You do know that's bound to happen, right? Something is definitely not going to work.

Yeah but I hope it's something small and not entirely detrimental to the film.

The Bruce-Rachael relationship of Batman Begins didn't work, but it didn't negatively affect the whole of the film. However I think it would be different for Man of Steel as Superman-Lois is far more ingrained into the mythos and therefore needs to work. If the other examples I mention (Cavill and the tone of the movie) are broken, then the movie completely falls apart.

herolee10 04-01-2013 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallville13 (Post 25495217)
Yeah but I hope it's something small and not entirely detrimental to the film.

The Bruce-Rachael relationship of Batman Begins didn't work, but it didn't negatively affect the whole of the film. However I think it would be different for Man of Steel as Superman-Lois is far more ingrained into the mythos and therefore needs to work. If the other examples I mention (Cavill and the tone of the movie) are broken, then the movie completely falls apart.

Well that and it doesn't hurt that we have Amy Adams playing the female lead as opposed to Katie Holmes..lol

Smallville13 04-01-2013 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herolee10 (Post 25495223)
Well that and it doesn't hurt that we have Amy Adams playing the female lead as opposed to Katie Holmes..lol

Still it's a bit of a concern with those early screening reports saying that Amy Adams is the weakest part of the film.

herolee10 04-01-2013 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallville13 (Post 25495245)
Still it's a bit of a concern with those early screening reports saying that Amy Adams is the weakest part of the film.

What reports? The one that Poni posted? Since aside from the ones that he mentioned, which I still find dubious as well, the other ones haven't mentioned anything about Amy being the weakest link.

Gianakin_ 04-01-2013 04:49 AM

The reports didn't mention that Adams was the weakest part of the film. They said that the Lois/Clark/Superman relationship felt underdeveloped.

Smallville13 04-01-2013 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herolee10 (Post 25495251)
What reports? The one that Poni posted? Since aside from the ones that he mentioned, which I still find dubious as well, the other ones haven't mentioned anything about Amy being the weakest link.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gianakin_ (Post 25495255)
The reports didn't mention that Adams was the weakest part of the film. They said that the Lois/Clark/Superman relationship felt underdeveloped.

Well that's a bit more encouraging. Still 'undeveloped' is a bit of a worry too. I don't want another Thor and Jane.

What about the one saying Cavill was simply 'ok' and 'replaceable'? Did it ever get debunked as a false account?

GreenKToo 04-01-2013 06:44 AM

Well I dont mind them showing an attraction between the two, but I for one have had enough of the "can you read my mind" type of relationships between them on the big screen. give it a rest for at least one film anyway.

Gianakin_ 04-01-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallville13 (Post 25495315)
What about the one saying Cavill was simply 'ok' and 'replaceable'? Did it ever get debunked as a false account?

Even if it wasn't a false report, it's just an opinion.

Smallville13 04-01-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gianakin_ (Post 25495391)
Even if it wasn't a false report, it's just an opinion.

Still like I said before us as fans will be the hardest to please because we will be taking into account the overall acceptance of the film as well. And if the consensus of a few dozen people seeing the early screening is that Cavill is 'replaceable' (or even if that is just the opinion of 1 person, multiply that by thousands when the film releases) it's definitely somewhat concerning.

Am I, or should we be worried based on that though? No. But we've literally got nothing else new to talk about here. So pre-screenings reports is worth consideration.

Smallville13 04-01-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenKToo (Post 25495379)
Well I dont mind them showing an attraction between the two, but I for one have had enough of the "can you read my mind" type of relationships between them on the big screen. give it a rest for at least one film anyway.

Agreed. It seems that we'll be getting a sort of camaraderie in this film between Clark and Lois, as if they will be each others confidants. But it's all gonna be fast-forwarded hollywood style into a full-blown romance within 130 minutes.

Gianakin_ 04-01-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallville13 (Post 25495401)
Still like I said before us as fans will be the hardest to please because we will be taking into account the overall acceptance of the film as well. And if the consensus of a few dozen people seeing the early screening is that Cavill is 'replaceable' (or even if that is just the opinion of 1 person, multiply that by thousands when the film releases) it's definitely somewhat concerning.

Am I, or should we be worried based on that though? No. But we've literally got nothing else new to talk about here. So pre-screenings reports is worth consideration.

Still, it was only 2 people who said it. We can't tell. I'm pretty sure that at least 2 people weren't crazy about Bale in a BB advance screening.

Smallville13 04-01-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gianakin_ (Post 25495413)
Still, it was only 2 people who said it. We can't tell. I'm pretty sure that at least 2 people weren't crazy about Bale in a BB advance screening.

2 out of let's say 20 people in that screening is a pretty concerning number statistically speaking. Assuming 10M see this movie applying those odds 1M will be iffy on Cavill. Now maybe those 2 people are outliers in that small sample. Maybe they were having a bad day and weren't excited at all that they got to see a 6 month early screening of a movie. Maybe. Hopefully anyways.

Anyways it's not worth worrying about. I'm just preparing myself for the worst considering I'm ready for this to become my favorite film. If it turns out it won't be, I want ample warning!

Gianakin_ 04-01-2013 07:28 AM

If you don't get that warning, don't go overboard with your disappointment, though. It would be unfair to you and to MoS.

Bren 04-01-2013 07:50 AM

I'm terribly worried they ditch his trunks
And that he doesn't have the s-curl
Or that Pa Kent implies Clark should put his secret ahead of lives
Or that Zod will be the villian again
Or that Clark won't wear glasses
Or that Clark doesn't lift anything very heavy (like a continent or island)
That they delay the release to 2013

Have I left anything out from snippets at the start of the MOS threads?

Nemeres 04-01-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr (Post 25495191)
That Michael Shannon will be anything less than awesome as Zod. I've seen what he's capable of from clips of Boardwalk Empire and Take Shelter and want to see him go truly psychotic! I'd love to see him go as crazy on Supes as he's been on Boardwalk Empire! Can you imagine how awesome that would be?!

I'm not worried about Cavill's accent. Most of the movies he's been in have been directed by non-Americans, and MOS is his first big American movie, with a director who's so American that he uses "awesome" in every other sentence. :p So I think Snyder would've caught any of Cavill's accent slip-ups.

Just the other day, Michael Shannon talked about how he'd done some ADR for the movie. They could have easily gotten Cavill to do the same if there were any slip-ups. That, plus the fact that he had a dialect coach on set... if the accent sucks, it wouldn't even be his fault as much as the filmmakers'.

BustersDogFood 04-01-2013 01:26 PM

I actually don't have any worries about MoS.

Superman Returns gave fans many of the things they wants (John Williams' theme, red trunks, Donner pseudo-sequel, S hair curl, etc) and the movie fell flat.

I don't know specifically what I want from a new version of Superman, but I know that I'm ready for a fresh interpretation of the character, even if that means losing some of the aspects I've always liked. Change is good.

BH/HHH 04-01-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BustersDogFood (Post 25497167)
I actually don't have any worries about MoS.

Superman Returns gave fans many of the things they wants (John Williams' theme, red trunks, Donner pseudo-sequel, S hair curl, etc) and the movie fell flat.

I don't know specifically what I want from a new version of Superman, but I know that I'm ready for a fresh interpretation of the character, even if that means losing some of the aspects I've always liked. Change is good.

Good post :up: and welcome to the hype

Steyin 04-01-2013 01:37 PM

I fear another boring film with uninteresting/overused characters.