The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Marvel Films (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Doctor Strange Casting Poll **NEW** (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=454069)

Gr0oT 01-13-2014 11:56 PM

Re: Doctor Strange Casting Poll **NEW**

Hahah, OP omitted the only choice that ever made sense and that even was in the original casting poll.

This is perfect, no other actor has the combination of the look and the natural idiosyncratic nature to say **** like "By the dread Vipers of Valtorr!" and "
By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth!"

Dr. Evil 01-13-2014 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokeesam (Post 27650251)

It just says that he's in talks.

cherokeesam 01-14-2014 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil (Post 27650539)
It just says that he's in talks.

Yeah, you're right.
Still, if it's true, it sounds encouraging that Disney is willing to take a huge gamble on him creating a new franchise for Marvel rather than trying to force him to stay with the proven blockbuster Pirates franchise.

Mr. Dent 01-14-2014 12:10 AM

....no.

Johnny Depp?? Most uninspired casting of all time. It's like fancasting. Hope it's not true. Or better yet, it's Marvel leading off fans from the real target.

Dr. Evil 01-14-2014 12:10 AM

I don't think Marvel announces any new movies until Comic-Con. If Marvel makes any further announcements it will be for Ant Man and Age of Ultron.

xeno000 01-14-2014 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gr0oT (Post 27650533)
Hahah, OP omitted the only choice that ever made sense and that even was in the original casting poll.

This is perfect, no other actor has the combination of the look and the natural idiosyncratic nature to say **** like "By the dread Vipers of Valtorr!" and "
By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth!"

The choices in the poll were selected by people in this forum. The previous poll was so old that no one could vote in it, so we informally kicked around a new list of names. I went through all of the posts with suggestions, collected them and made a new poll. The reason Depp was left off is because nobody suggested him.

Whiskey Tango 01-14-2014 12:21 AM

A few years back I would have been way more excited about this than I am now. Depp's been in kind of an uninteresting rut for awhile.

I mean I don't hate it, hell search back a ways on this board and you'll probably find me advocating it. But now? My first reaction was "uh, ok I guess."

And I should be happy but I'm not and it kind of pisses me off. I really really didn't care for the Pirates sequels though and I suspect that has something to do with my lack of enthusiasm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzanne78 (Post 27650305)
NOT BURTON!!

And Helena Bonham-Carter as Clea! God. I would cry tears of pure anti-joy. Ugh.

cherokeesam 01-14-2014 12:27 AM

This is still very early stages of Rumorville, but if Depp does get the nod, I could see it working. Just watch "The Ninth Gate" to see Depp do his best Dr. Strange impression.

Gr0oT 01-14-2014 12:28 AM

Come on guys, who else could say the following without making you cringe?

"By the Flames of the Faltine!"
"By the Sons of Satannish!"
"By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth!"
"By the Ruby Rings of Raggadorr!"
"By the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak!"
"By the Deathless Vishanti!"
"By the Vapors of the Vishanti!"
"By the Eye of Agamotto!"
"By the Vapors of Valtorr!"
"By the Images of Ikonn!"
"By the Demons of Denak!"
"By the Fangs of Farallah!"
"By the Mystic Moons of Munnopor!"
"By the Shades of the Seraphim!"
"By the Omnipotent Oshtur!"
"By the fires of Ikthalon!"
"By the Wondrous Winds of Watoomb!"
"By the Wondrous Wand of Watoomb!"

Whiskey Tango 01-14-2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokeesam (Post 27650743)
This is still very early stages of Rumorville, but if Depp does get the nod, I could see it working. Just watch "The Ninth Gate" to see Depp do his best Dr. Strange impression.

Yeah, he fits Strange very well. I suspect I'm just burnt out on crappy Pirates sequels and seemingly endless collaborations with Burton.

And unlike most crap that emerges from LR, this one seems hella likely. I didn't know JD was pals with RDJ but taking that into account along with Depp's relationship with Disney this one seems very close to a sure thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gr0oT (Post 27650751)
Come on guys, who else could say the following without making you cringe?

"By the Flames of the Faltine!"
"By the Sons of Satannish!"
"By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth!"
"By the Ruby Rings of Raggadorr!"
"By the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak!"
"By the Deathless Vishanti!"
"By the Vapors of the Vishanti!"
"By the Eye of Agamotto!"
"By the Vapors of Valtorr!"
"By the Images of Ikonn!"
"By the Demons of Denak!"
"By the Fangs of Farallah!"
"By the Mystic Moons of Munnopor!"
"By the Shades of the Seraphim!"
"By the Omnipotent Oshtur!"
"By the fires of Ikthalon!"
"By the Wondrous Winds of Watoomb!"
"By the Wondrous Wand of Watoomb!"

Liam Neeson.

SpideyFan866 01-14-2014 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Dent (Post 27650639)
....no.

Johnny Depp?? Most uninspired casting of all time. It's like fancasting. Hope it's not true. Or better yet, it's Marvel leading off fans from the real target.

I still think Benedict Cumberbatch is whom they'll ultimately get.

Loki882 01-14-2014 12:50 AM

Depp fits strange much better than Cumberbatch, both physically and personality-wise. I'm still hoping that Cumberbatch will play Brainiac myself.

Mr. Dent 01-14-2014 12:58 AM

Cumberbatch is a fit for Ultimate Strange.

Figs 01-14-2014 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokeesam (Post 27650743)

:up:

Most of the hate towards Depp recently is due to overexposure. Since the Pirates films he's been in a number of other big budget in your face roles like Willy Wonka, Mad Hatter and Tonto.

I still think he's a great actor but he just needs to pick roles that aren't so similar and quirky. Sadly, not sure if just rumors at this point but he's in line to be in Alice 2 and Pirates 5. Hopefully he changes it up a bit in Transcendence.

dsfjr1190 01-14-2014 01:53 AM

If this is true then I hope he plays Doctor Strange straight and not "Johnny Depp being quirky and doing random ****."

DarthSkywalker 01-14-2014 02:05 AM

Depp 10 years ago? Maybe. But at this point I can't see it. Hope it is just a rumor.

Smooth4LIF 01-14-2014 02:49 AM

Personally, I think Depp would be a great choice for the role. It's a double win for Marvel if you think about it, because not only is it an actor that can handle the role in a very unique and dynamic way, but he's also well known and can help you put butts in the seats. You've got to find ways to cast characters to not only the role itself but appeal to the masses, especially those that aren't deeply involved in the materials these characters came from in the first place.

Way too early to know for sure, but I don't think you could go wrong with Johnny Depp for this. :up:

xeno000 01-14-2014 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Dent (Post 27650639)
....no.

Yeah, I'm pinning my hopes on this being yet another Latino-Review crock of crap. The last thing Marvel needs is Depp in corpse white pancake with a third eye glued to his forehead playing Doctor Strange.

spider-neil 01-14-2014 04:16 AM

Depp is such a obvious, wrote, uninspired choice.

But then so was Downey for Iron Man (drunk, ego maniac, snarky).

So who knows.

MessiahDecoy123 01-14-2014 05:47 AM

Fanboys are spoiled.

Johnny Depp is a bad choice for Dr. Strange? A couple years ago everyone would be drooling over the prospect of Depp playing Strange.

I am skeptical about this rumor though. Marvel are penny pinchers and Depp demands a very high salary.

Spider-Fan83 01-14-2014 06:31 AM

I know at this point people probably except bigger name actors for these roles, but I kinda always like, Kevin Corrigan, for Strange

http://s30.postimg.org/uxjqwnrjl/MV5...I3_Mjg4_OA.jpg

Brian Braddock 01-14-2014 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spider-neil (Post 27651513)
Depp is such a obvious, wrote, uninspired choice.

Never understood the whole obvious stance that I see on here, personally; surely an actor is obvious simply because they are such as good fit for the role, otherwise they wouldnt be 'obvious' in the 1st place. Granted, I'm not the biggest fan of Depp for Strange as there are other actors that I prefer but to poo-poo it just because it's not an 'out of the box' choice is a bit strange [no pun intended] for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spider-neil (Post 27651513)

But then so was Downey for Iron Man (drunk, ego maniac, snarky).

So who knows.

I could be wrong but there was only a few people who suggested RDJ for Stark. Dont seem to recall many people suggesting RDJ for the role beforehand; I can still remember people being pretty suprised when he was cast.

ThePowerCosmic 01-14-2014 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Coul (Post 27650489)
I guess I just feel like I can picture him doing his usual blockbuster schtick in a slightly different persona; whereas I'd like to see someone bring something fresh to the role and surprise a bit - I also picture him and RDJ desperately trying to out-quirk one another. Of course it's possible he could be fantastic and subtler if he got the role and I could just be being an assumptive prick though, ah dunno.

I don't think you're a prick, lol. I think Depp can bring the darkness and mysterious allure of Strange whike also injecting some eccentric charisma when needed. I don't think he'll be quirky 24/7 in the role. Marvel doesn't let their actors portray their heroes as one-note.

Suzanne78 01-14-2014 07:36 AM

I think if the last few collabs with Burton hadn't happened and the last all-but-the-first-one Pirates movie hadn't happened, I'd be good with Depp even if he was the more obvious choice.

But it's more burnout of him rather than anything else. I do hope Transcendence can make give a flying crap about his career again.

I adore HBC, but she needs to never do another movie with Depp or Burton again.

I will say, if he channels his Ninth Gate/Ed Wood again, I would be fine with Depp as Strange. He could do some interesting things with the complexities of Strange that don't fall into charicature-ville.

T"Challa 01-14-2014 08:53 AM

The part of this most fans would ignore is that this would be a brilliant business decision. It would bring an instant avalanche of attention to an otherwise difficult-to-sell character. He's not my first choice but then again, i'm not the one who needs to sell a $170 million movie about a magician to the masses. Casting Johnny Depp in addition to sticking the Marvel brand on it makes that job a lot easier.

Depp may be an obvious and somewhat uninspired choice but please, lets not pretend like the guy can't act his ass off if given the right material. This is a multiple oscar and golden globe nominee we're talking about here. And he does fit the character to be honest