The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Thor: Ragnarok (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=667)
-   -   The Director of THOR 3 (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=467657)

Hyde 10-31-2013 06:50 AM

The Director of THOR 3
 
Despite it's flaws, I quite enjoyed Thor: The Dark World and felt it was a step above from the first movie. However given the onslaught of rumours about production troubles, Marvel being unhappy with Alan Taylor, a replaced composer and Taylor openly being unhappy about the mid-credits scene and other stuff, it's unlikely he'll be asked to helm the third movie. Plus he's probably directing the Terminator reboot for 2015, which would probably get in the way of another Thor.

Based on release patterns, I'll take a guess and say Thor 3 will hit cinemas 2016. But who do you want to direct? Taylor? Branagh back? Someone else? My personal vote goes to Francis Lawrence - director of I Am Legend and the upcoming Hunger Games sequels, which look fantastic. What about you?

smallville fan 10-31-2013 08:21 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Aww I liked Thor TDW and thought Alan Taylor was great.

BigThor 10-31-2013 02:17 PM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
I say bring back Taylor, oh and Smaville Fan what did you rate Thor: The Dark World.

psylockolussus 10-31-2013 08:15 PM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
I want Branagh back, in my opinion Thor 1 is far more superior than the Dark World. But I doubt he'll be back.

jonathancrane 10-31-2013 08:53 PM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
On principle, I prefer they select a different director for the film. The beauty of the MCU is that each sequel reflects a different artistic direction, like the comics do. I would like them to keep pumping fresh blood into the MCU, instead of using the same source for too long.

Hyde 11-02-2013 06:29 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
I'd like Taylor back too, but unfortunately I don't see that happening. Since Branagh has Cinderella, another big-budget Disney movie, opening in 2015 he probably wouldn't have time to direct Thor 3 as well but it could happen, Francis Lawrence has Hunger Games in 2015 and I want him for the third movie.

Maybe Marvel should get a TV guy again. It's worked the past few times, and seems to be excellent with the Russo Bros in Winter Soldier.

Silvermoth 11-02-2013 03:19 PM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Someone suggested Vadim jean who has directed a lot of the discworld tv adaptions last time. He would be perfect for this. Exciting, cost effective for marvel, knows where to put the comedy

Eddie Dean 11-02-2013 03:23 PM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Neil Marshall!!!

DarthSkywalker 11-03-2013 04:01 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathancrane (Post 27123985)
On principle, I prefer they select a different director for the film. The beauty of the MCU is that each sequel reflects a different artistic direction, like the comics do. I would like them to keep pumping fresh blood into the MCU, instead of using the same source for too long.

IM2. AoU. :huh:

Hyde 11-03-2013 04:37 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvermoth (Post 27133763)
Someone suggested Vadim jean who has directed a lot of the discworld tv adaptions last time. He would be perfect for this. Exciting, cost effective for marvel, knows where to put the comedy

Interesting, I thought those adaptations were pretty good. Wouldn't mind Jean directing at all

horacethegrey 11-06-2013 06:19 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Unlikely to happen, but I'd really like Guillermo Del Toro to take a crack at Thor. It'd be exciting from a visual standpoint, as Del Toro can bring his imaginative designs to the Nine Realms. And Pacific Rim showed he can really bring the epic action when needed.

Lord 11-06-2013 06:25 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
What production problems? Didn't know there were any with Dark World

Hyde 11-09-2013 02:11 PM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
The composer left, there were apparently arguments between Taylor and Feige about the film's running time, none of the cast or crew except Hiddleston turning up for SDCC, reshoots and Taylor was unhappy with the mid-credits scene.

Octoberist 11-10-2013 03:50 PM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
I've heard that Taylor DURING THE SHOOT was pretty good. His issues however dealt with the post-production. Mostly.

Also, the composer didn't leave; he got kicked off. Taylor wanted one composer, and Feige wanted another.

BobJM 11-10-2013 07:09 PM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Ah I hope the issues aren't as bad as it sounds, I liked Taylor's direction in this movie.

I just saw the film again for a second time and I really, really enjoyed it. Taylor for Thor 3!!

Warhammer 11-11-2013 09:20 PM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
I can't say I'm surprised. When watching that movie, you can't help but to get a slight hint of studio interference. I'm not sure how to explain it, but you can just kinda tell, especially given that I expected something in lieu of Game of Thrones and well, it didn't really turn out that way.

Visualiza 11-14-2013 04:28 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Branagh. Taylor wasn't able to nail down the characters and their relationships at all, while Branagh excelled at it. Also keep in mind that several of the cast members joined the project strictly because of Branaghs involvement, so the respect and admiration he commands from his cast is noteworthy.

TDW had the aesthetics, but the original had everything else.

Lord 11-14-2013 05:22 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
It could have been better (expecially when it comes to the villains development), but i think they did a great job in the middle of all this confusion, i enjoyed it more than the first film, and the climax was quite creative and fun. I think it felt like a middle chapter in the MCU's Phase II, and the involvement of the gem made the film look more like an event.

Hyde 11-14-2013 11:10 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Octoberist (Post 27189253)
I've heard that Taylor DURING THE SHOOT was pretty good. His issues however dealt with the post-production. Mostly.

Also, the composer didn't leave; he got kicked off. Taylor wanted one composer, and Feige wanted another.

Then that's even worse lol. Fortunately it doesn't look like Cap 2 will have these problems, thank goodness.

ddddeeee 11-15-2013 07:53 PM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
The editors were also changed, though a big deal wasn't made about that.

What's telling is that Taylor hasn't backed down though. Instead of doing the expected 'Marvel ended up bringing in Brian Tyler and he did a great job...' he's been saying how he really wanted Burwell and he's not happy about that. It's a bit refreshing actually.

FWIW Branagh wraps Cinderella mid next year, I don't know whether that rules him out or not. Disney clearly like him at least.

Spider-Fan 11-17-2013 10:11 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyde (Post 27119629)
Despite it's flaws, I quite enjoyed Thor: The Dark World and felt it was a step above from the first movie. However given the onslaught of rumours about production troubles, Marvel being unhappy with Alan Taylor, a replaced composer and Taylor openly being unhappy about the mid-credits scene and other stuff, it's unlikely he'll be asked to helm the third movie. Plus he's probably directing the Terminator reboot for 2015, which would probably get in the way of another Thor.

Based on release patterns, I'll take a guess and say Thor 3 will hit cinemas 2016. But who do you want to direct? Taylor? Branagh back? Someone else? My personal vote goes to Francis Lawrence - director of I Am Legend and the upcoming Hunger Games sequels, which look fantastic. What about you?

Lawrence is a mediocre filmmaker. I'd rather they look for someone better.

I too doubt Taylor will be back. Seems that tensions were on during post on Thor 2. As much as I liked the 1st Thor, I'd rather see a 3rd director than see Branagh come back. No disrespect to Branagh. He did a great job with the st film, but Taylor did creative things to expand the world of Asgard in 2, so I'd like to see a 3rd director come in and get a chance to do the same.

Spider-Fan 11-17-2013 10:14 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyde (Post 27215587)
Then that's even worse lol. Fortunately it doesn't look like Cap 2 will have these problems, thank goodness.

Taylor seems to have more of a Vaughn-esque personality, which Marvel seems to clash with. It's funny that while Thor: TDW had all these things going on, the Russos appear to have gotten along swimingly with Marvel. I am thinking the Russos may even stay on for Cap 3 at this rate (at least, more likely than Taylor doing Thor 3 is). Based off the Cap 2 trailer, I think they should try hard to keep the Russos for Cap 3 :cap:

Hyde 11-21-2013 12:19 PM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Sorry but I can't agree on the Lawrence part. Have you read the Catching Fire reviews? 94% on RT with 107 fresh reviews so far, insane word of mouth and tracking - might even beat Iron Man 3 - the lot. Bagging Lawrence would be great.

I to hope the Russos stay on for Cap 3.

ddddeeee 11-21-2013 05:59 PM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Lawrence had a great script, set-up, cast, and film friendly book handed to him on a plate. His job was not to **** up, he isn't a visionary. Though I'd imagine not ****ing up is in the contract for every non-Whedon Marvel director.

I saw and loved Catching Fire btw.

Spider-Fan 11-21-2013 11:03 PM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyde (Post 27257141)
Sorry but I can't agree on the Lawrence part. Have you read the Catching Fire reviews? 94% on RT with 107 fresh reviews so far, insane word of mouth and tracking - might even beat Iron Man 3 - the lot. Bagging Lawrence would be great.

I to hope the Russos stay on for Cap 3.

I Am Legend was an awful representation of the book (totally butchered what the story was about). Also, he made Constantine. That too sucked. Yes, Catching Fire is getting good reviews. That makes exactly 1 good film he has made. Good for him. His track record is still one of mediocrity and crap. In the case of Catching Fire, it looks like he had a good script to go off of. Bagging Lawrence would mean for a mediocre or crappy Thor sequel unless he had an amazing script. The script was a weakness of Thor: TDW (it's strengths were visual). I think handed the Thor 2 script, Taylor makes a better movie than Lawrence would have. I'd rather see Marvel hire a talented director. Not a mediocre one.

Lord 11-22-2013 05:48 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Not really, Constantine is his only bad film, on the whole he's an alright film director. His track record isn't of mediocrity and crap at all.

Spider-Fan 11-22-2013 06:32 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Read I Am Legend then watch the movie. Compare them. The movie missed the entire point of the story. That and the CGI was terrible.

Lord 11-23-2013 06:09 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
The ending was changed in the last minute aparently, and i'm judging a film, not the process of adaptation, The Town for example is aclaimed, yet, those who read the original story say the film was much inferior to that.

Spider-Fan 11-24-2013 12:01 PM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
I think the ending also wasn't good on a film level, either. The original ending of the film also was nothing like the book, either. As an adaptation, it failed miserably. As a film, it had poor CGI and fell apart in the 2nd act, and had a poor conclusion (even outside the changes from the source material). It simply wasn't a good movie (this is my opinion, of course). Catching Fire was hard to mess up because it had a film friendly book to pool from, a film style somewhat already in place from the previous installment/good cast from 1st installment) and a good script. Without these things, he hasn't shown the ability to succeed. He can't craft a story himself.

Bert 11-27-2013 12:35 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
For Thor 3 Marvel should call up George Lucas, hes probably not doing anything...

Mjölnir 11-27-2013 09:37 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bert (Post 27290375)
For Thor 3 Marvel should call up George Lucas, hes probably not doing anything...

I can vividly imagine the mob with torches and pitchforks outside your door right now... :woot:

one4smoke 11-29-2013 02:23 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Visualiza (Post 27214341)
Branagh. Taylor wasn't able to nail down the characters and their relationships at all, while Branagh excelled at it. Also keep in mind that several of the cast members joined the project strictly because of Branaghs involvement, so the respect and admiration he commands from his cast is noteworthy.

TDW had the aesthetics, but the original had everything else.

Agreed.

Hyde 12-01-2013 11:19 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Went to see Catching Fire today and I stick by my earlier statement that Francis Lawrence should direct the third Thor movie (you can find my thoughts on it in the film's thread). Marvel would be incredibly lucky if they got him. If not, then he'd also make a pretty awesome Wonder Woman movie

AVEITWITHJAMON 03-18-2014 09:29 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Ideally I would want Branagh back for Thor 3. Thor is my favourite solo MCU movie and the movie just totally wowed me when I 1st saw it, it got me reading some Thor comics as well.

I think Taylor could have made a good sequel if given the freedom to do so, but Marvel wouldnt allow that and I doubt he will be coming back.

So, Branagh is my director choice for Thor 3.

R_Hythlodeus 03-18-2014 10:05 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
My choice for Thor 3 is exactly the same as it was for Thor 2. Vadim Jean.

Hammer! 03-18-2014 06:08 PM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON (Post 28224361)
Ideally I would want Branagh back for Thor 3. Thor is my favourite solo MCU movie and the movie just totally wowed me when I 1st saw it, it got me reading some Thor comics as well.

I think Taylor could have made a good sequel if given the freedom to do so, but Marvel wouldnt allow that and I doubt he will be coming back.

So, Branagh is my director choice for Thor 3.

Agreed on Branagh. I don't think he's coming back though, as he could have easily directed Thor 2 but seemed content moving on to Jack Ryan. His main reason for not coming back was the short re-load time between 1 and 2, yet Ryan came out only two months after TDW. Sounds like he's done with the franchise.:csad:

I wouldn't mind seeing Taylor back since most of the problems I had with TDW had to do with editing and the feeling of too many cooks in the kitchen working on the script. Probably would prefer someone new at the helm, however.

AVEITWITHJAMON 03-18-2014 08:54 PM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer! (Post 28228761)
Agreed on Branagh. I don't think he's coming back though, as he could have easily directed Thor 2 but seemed content moving on to Jack Ryan. His main reason for not coming back was the short re-load time between 1 and 2, yet Ryan came out only two months after TDW. Sounds like he's done with the franchise.:csad:

I believe he was in pre-production on Ryan when Thor 2 was announced though? I may be remembering wrong though. I really hoped he would return to the franchise someday but it seems he is done with it. Shame, I loved Thor, my favourite solo movie so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer! (Post 28228761)
I wouldn't mind seeing Taylor back since most of the problems I had with TDW had to do with editing and the feeling of too many cooks in the kitchen working on the script. Probably would prefer someone new at the helm, however.

I wouldnt mind Taylor coming back either as long as they gave him more freedom, it seems Marvel were intent in meddling with Thor 2 from the start and the movie ended up being such a disappointment to me. Taylor is busy with the new Terminator movie now though and if that is successful I think they will move straight onto a sequel.

Mr. Dent 03-21-2014 03:09 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
imo they missed on both Branagh and Taylor. I hope Marvel finds their Russo brothers for Thor with this new movie. The story for it has far more potential than Thor 2 ever did, now they need a director with a real vision and love for the character to see it through.

Sterling Archer 04-19-2014 02:21 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
They just need to find someone who actually cares about the movie they are making and isn't just a hired gun.

Neo_3 04-20-2014 02:23 PM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
My choices are:
Louis D'Esposito
Trent Opaloch
Walter Simonson
Jesús Orellana
Wes Ball

D'Esposito is because has been around since the beginning and has directed some shorts. Opaloch was the DP of TWS. Simonson because Thor 3 has a great chance to adapt his adaptation. Orellana and Ball I think based of their shorts.

Hulk 04-20-2014 09:09 PM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sterling Archer (Post 28523845)
They just need to find someone who actually cares about the movie they are making and isn't just a hired gun.

Agreed. I hope MS doesn't commit this mistake again.

pr0xyt0xin 04-20-2014 09:21 PM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
As always, I want to see Guillermo Del Toro do this one. As much as I disliked Pacific Rim, I blame bad acting and since Thor/Loki/Odin are already cast that shouldn't be any issue.

Besides, take the best moments from the colossal battles in Pacific Rim and apply them to Thor vs Surtur. You could have a really awesome David v Goliath moment.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-V09f9XcoQL...eimSurtur6.jpg

seahammer 04-21-2014 10:39 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin (Post 28539893)
As always, I want to see Guillermo Del Toro do this one. As much as I disliked Pacific Rim, I blame bad acting and since Thor/Loki/Odin are already cast that shouldn't be any issue.

Besides, take the best moments from the colossal battles in Pacific Rim and apply them to Thor vs Surtur. You could have a really awesome David v Goliath moment.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-V09f9XcoQL...eimSurtur6.jpg

I know some people see it as a little uninspired, but I think GDT or even Peter Jackson would be great, IF they had a passion/vision for the character. Even if marvel goes more outside-the-box than this, these are definitely the types of directors that Marvel needs to be courting.

And my dream version of Thor 3 definitely includes a towering Surtur, as in the pic you posted.

seahammer 10-12-2014 08:06 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Has anyone seen Dracula Untold? I haven't seen it yet, but I was wondering how Gary Shore does with the sweeping supernatural visuals in that, and if he could be a good candidate for Thor 3. AFAIK he's an unproven director, with this being his first big budget venture.

First Avenger 10-17-2014 01:58 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
What about Andrew Stanton?

seahammer 10-17-2014 05:32 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by First Avenger (Post 29917685)
What about Andrew Stanton?

If he's ready to give live action another go after John Carter, and if he has a strong vision for the story/character, I don't see why not. He seems like he would work well within Marvel's culture. Here's an article where he talks about wanting to build reshoots into his shooting schedule from the beginning of JC, for example, which is Marvel's M.O. as well: http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep...ector-20120908

AVEITWITHJAMON 10-20-2014 01:19 PM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
^I wouldnt mind Stanton, JC was certainly not as bad as some people made it out to be, but I would prefer someone with a bit experience and consistency.

I doubt many will agree with me, and I dont see Marvel ever working with him, but I would love Peter Jackson to do it.

First Avenger 10-21-2014 02:19 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Jackson would be great but I really doubt it can happen. Does anyone else feel like it is pretty difficult to find the perfect director for a Thor movie?

fixxxer 10-21-2014 02:19 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Oh oh oh! Brad Bird?

Loki882 10-21-2014 09:37 AM

Re: The Director of THOR 3
 
Some possibilities:

-Neil Marshall.
-Duncan Jones.
-Rupert Wyatt.
-Mel Gibson (completely unrealistic choice #1).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com, A property of Mandatory, a divison of AtomicOnline, LLC © 2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.