The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3 (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=465)
-   -   The Official "I Loved Raimi's Spider-Man' Thread - Part 1 of 99 Luft - Part 9 (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=460897)

AVEITWITHJAMON 12-23-2013 07:53 PM

Re: The Official "I Loved Raimi's Spider-Man' Thread - Part 1 of 99 Luft - Pa

^Terminator 1 and Aliens are my favourite movies of all time, I love T2 but it doesnt compare to the 1st one for me.

Anyway, I may have to do re-watching of Raimi's trilogy soon, I tend to do one at least once a year, if not more.

The Joker 12-24-2013 11:59 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...us/OckXmas.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../spidxmas1.jpg

Merry Christmas, everyone.

webhead731 12-24-2013 07:18 PM

http://imageshack.us/a/img6/8950/dflo.jpg

:p

A Necessary Evil 12-24-2013 07:33 PM

LOL "love, Venom"

Green Goblin 12-31-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider-Fan (Post 27476417)
I just feel like Raimi's Spider-Man captured the essence of who Spider-Man is and what the story was supposed to be about than TASM did. TASM has morphed the Spider-Man story into a legacy storyline between the son taking up the mantle his father left behind in order to combat his archenemy, and for me that isn't Spider-Man. Spider-Man isn't about watching Luthorco, er....Oscorp's freaks of the week taking on Spider-Man because his father was on to something. Spider-Man is an average and ordinary guy who has average and ordinary problems, which complicate his life and creates a burden that weighs on him. This why I just can't get into TASM series on a conceptual level. To me, it just isn't Spider-Man (ignoring some of TASM's more idiotic moments in the movie, of course). This is why I am not jazzed for TASM2, why I felt TASM was a mediocre effort at the character, and why when I want my Spider-Man fix, I still go to Dr. Raimi.

To each it's own. I thought both were good but IMO Webb's is superior in most ways.

Pfeiffer-Pfan 12-31-2013 12:05 PM

Oh I'd still take Raimi's Spider-man over Webb's any day.

Spider-Fan 01-01-2014 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Goblin (Post 27543735)
To each it's own. I thought both were good but IMO Webb's is superior in most ways.

Sorry man, I just simply cannot agree. TASM was a fairly mediocre effort, especially in regard to the script.

Picard Sisko 01-01-2014 11:09 AM

I thought TASM was far more than just mediocre. It had its flaws, but I enjoyed it a lot. Still sticking with my 8/10 rating.

In fact, I think TASM was superior to Raimi's first Spider-Man film in many ways. The only thing that film has over Webb in my eyes is the nostalgia factor, otherwise I think the reboot did a better job.

As of now, SM2 is my top Spider-Man film. Let's see if TASM2 can tackle it.

Senator Pleasury 01-01-2014 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Picard Sisko (Post 27550687)
I thought TASM was far more than just mediocre. It had its flaws, but I enjoyed it a lot. Still sticking with my 8/10 rating.

In fact, I think TASM was superior to Raimi's first Spider-Man film in many ways. The only thing that film has over Webb in my eyes is the nostalgia factor, otherwise I think the reboot did a better job.

I agree. Word by word.

SpideyVille 01-01-2014 11:17 AM

I still feel like the big appeal of TASM is that its flashier, prettier and more modern. Comic Book movies have changed a lot in the last 10 years, and definitely after the Dark Knight. TASM fits into what we're used to know, but at the time, Raimi's first movie was as good as movies got. But in comparison to what we've seen recently, TASM is pretty average. It's good, but nothing great.

Senator Pleasury 01-01-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpideyVille (Post 27550745)
I still feel like the big appeal of TASM is that its flashier, prettier and more modern. Comic Book movies have changed a lot in the last 10 years, and definitely after the Dark Knight. TASM fits into what we're used to know, but at the time, Raimi's first movie was as good as movies got. But in comparison to what we've seen recently, TASM is pretty average. It's good, but nothing great.

I'm just glad that's better than Raimi's take. I was pretty old when the first Raimi movie was released and it was a success, but it was far from something new or original. In fact, my main reason for disliking it was how kid-friendly it was. Even for the standards of its time.

Human Torch 01-01-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

What could Webb's film possibly have over the original?Raimi's origin is almost a scene for scene Love Letter to the original Amazing Fantasy story.That's not nostalgia,that's a good adaptation.

UltimateWebhead 01-01-2014 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Human Torch (Post 27552093)
What could Webb's film possibly have over the original?Raimi's origin is almost a scene for scene Love Letter to the original Amazing Fantasy story.That's not nostalgia,that's a good adaptation.

Love is blind, I guess. Kidding, kidding :oldrazz:

Picard Sisko 01-01-2014 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury (Post 27550719)
I agree. Word by word.

:up:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Human Torch (Post 27552093)
What could Webb's film possibly have over the original? Raimi's origin is almost a scene for scene Love Letter to the original Amazing Fantasy story. That's not nostalgia, that's a good adaptation.

Just because something is nostalgic doesn't mean it can't be topped. SM1 is no doubt a fantastic adaption of Amazing Fantasy #15, but does that mean we shouldn't see Spider-Man on film again? I'm not a Raimi fanboy, I'm just a Spider-Man fan. That series ended, and its time to move on. This series can do a lot of things: The Sinister Six, Venom, and there is a clear influence from Ultimate Spider-Man, which is fantastic IMO. I love the whole "conspiracy" element to the reboot.

Spider-Fan 01-02-2014 11:15 AM

Quote:

The origin of Spider-Man is much better handled in SM1. Uncle Ben's death in SM1 had suspense and shock to it (the lead up walk through the crowd, the Burglar's face covered in the shadows, etc). In TASM, there is no suspense to it (since they just show him die). The "responsibility" speech in SM1 is better because they don't try and dance around saying "With great power comes great responsibility." The arcs in SM1 were better. The story was better. TASM I will give you have better humor and fight sequences, but to me story and such matter far more. For me, the story of SM1 trumps TASM by miles. It's not due to nostalgia. It's due to the way TASM was written.

Human Torch 01-02-2014 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Picard Sisko (Post 27553597)
:up:

Just because something is nostalgic doesn't mean it can't be topped. SM1 is no doubt a fantastic adaption of Amazing Fantasy #15, but does that mean we shouldn't see Spider-Man on film again? I'm not a Raimi fanboy, I'm just a Spider-Man fan. That series ended, and its time to move on. This series can do a lot of things: The Sinister Six, Venom, and there is a clear influence from Ultimate Spider-Man, which is fantastic IMO. I love the whole "conspiracy" element to the reboot.

Not at all.I always said I think another Spidey origin movie might surpass the Raimi one.But I don't feel TASM even came close.

Human Torch 01-02-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider-Fan (Post 27558323)
The origin of Spider-Man is much better handled in SM1. Uncle Ben's death in SM1 had suspense and shock to it (the lead up walk through the crowd, the Burglar's face covered in the shadows, etc). In TASM, there is no suspense to it (since they just show him die). The "responsibility" speech in SM1 is better because they don't try and dance around saying "With great power comes great responsibility." The arcs in SM1 were better. The story was better. TASM I will give you have better humor and fight sequences, but to me story and such matter far more. For me, the story of SM1 trumps TASM by miles. It's not due to nostalgia. It's due to the way TASM was written.

Agreed again.But I don't really remember the fight scenes of TASM being all that memorable.Humor was about even.

Spider-Fan 01-02-2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Human Torch (Post 27559937)
Agreed again.But I don't really remember the fight scenes of TASM being all that memorable.Humor was about even.

By humor, I mostly mean the wisecracks. Yes, Garfield does that well. But, Spider-Man isn't all about the jokes. For me, TASM failed to get the heart of the Spider-Man character in several ways that Raimi was far more successful at. Raimi got the heart and soul of the character, TASM got the jokes and the mannerisms once he is in the suit. Overall, I think Raimi got the more important aspects correct.

As for the fight scenes, some of SM1's CGI looks fairly cheap. Peter jumping on that one roof and GG jumping on his glider all come to mind. That, and GG and Spidey's fights were all limited to hand to hand/ground combat. We didn't get the classic aerial duel that they have had, but once again, CGI was in its infancy back then. TASM did a better job with some of that stuff (see Spidey vs Lizard in the school), but once again, Curt Connors in TASM lacked the family and just came off as more or less silly. Plus, they did nothing with his lizard henchmen that he created (the movie forgets that happened until the fight is over) and he did things like leave his evil plan on a loop in the sewer. Such a stupid plot device. Conversely, while the action wasn't spectacular between GG and Spidey in SM1 (and GG's costume sucked), Dafoe embodied the character and he was fun to watch. He felt like GG. For me, Lizard didn't feel like the Lizard in TASM.

I just prefer what Raimi got right more than I did what TASM got right. Bottom line.

DX 01-02-2014 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider-Fan (Post 27560229)
By humor, I mostly mean the wisecracks. Yes, Garfield does that well. But, Spider-Man isn't all about the jokes. For me, TASM failed to get the heart of the Spider-Man character in several ways that Raimi was far more successful at. Raimi got the heart and soul of the character, TASM got the jokes and the mannerisms once he is in the suit. Overall, I think Raimi got the more important aspects correct.

As for the fight scenes, some of SM1's CGI looks fairly cheap. Peter jumping on that one roof and GG jumping on his glider all come to mind. That, and GG and Spidey's fights were all limited to hand to hand/ground combat. We didn't get the classic aerial duel that they have had, but once again, CGI was in its infancy back then. TASM did a better job with some of that stuff (see Spidey vs Lizard in the school), but once again, Curt Connors in TASM lacked the family and just came off as more or less silly. Plus, they did nothing with his lizard henchmen that he created (the movie forgets that happened until the fight is over) and he did things like leave his evil plan on a loop in the sewer. Such a stupid plot device. Conversely, while the action wasn't spectacular between GG and Spidey in SM1 (and GG's costume sucked), Dafoe embodied the character and he was fun to watch. He felt like GG. For me, Lizard didn't feel like the Lizard in TASM.

I just prefer what Raimi got right more than I did what TASM got right. Bottom line.

See, even those parts I thought smacked of "LOL I WEBBED HIM IN THE DICK AREN'T I LIKE FUNNY OR EDGY OR SOMETHING?!?!? HUH COMIC GEEKS?!?!? HUH?!?!?" :o

AVEITWITHJAMON 01-02-2014 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider-Fan (Post 27558323)

Couldnt agree more, even today, I watched Raimi's Spider-Man more than TASM because it just a much better origin story for the character IMO, and much more faithful as well.

ironman29758 01-02-2014 10:04 PM

seeing the Amazing Spider-Man without having the Spider-Man movie in mind stands up fairly well on his own and compared to the movie too. Yeah Spider-Man 1 was pretty good adaption of the Amazing Fantasy#15 with some Ultimate Spider-Man similarities but at said time some of the things is kind of like just roll your eyes forced humor. I still loving watching all four movies but eachc one has it's collective painful/"could have been better" moments.

NewYorkSpider 01-06-2014 10:48 PM

Spider-Man 3 was on FX today. While I dislike the movie, it's still nice to see Raimi's Spider-Man openings again. Brings back a lot of memories.

A Necessary Evil 01-06-2014 11:04 PM

I still despise the fact that Sony had not only a third chance, but a fourth considering the re-release of the blurays to add the deleted scenes on there. :cmad:

henzINNIT 01-07-2014 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil (Post 27591449)
I still despise the fact that Sony had not only a third chance, but a fourth considering the re-release of the blurays to add the deleted scenes on there. :cmad:

I still hope that one day they will surface, no matter how unlikely.

AVEITWITHJAMON 01-07-2014 07:54 AM

^I just cant see it now, they are too focused on the TASM franchise and wont put any effort into giving us a Spiderman 3.1 IMO.