The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Books and Music (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=431)
-   -   A Song of Ice and Fire books (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=353715)

Buford The Sly 05-12-2011 10:04 AM

A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
By popular demand, this thread is for the books only the show has it's own Game of Thrones thread under Television. I would still use spoiler tags for the people who haven't finished A Feast for Crows yet.

ChickenScratch 05-12-2011 10:25 AM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Cool, I'm here too now. I would have found a way to slip GRRM into the title of the thread though. LOL, look at me, always complaining.

Buford The Sly 05-12-2011 10:53 AM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
So any theories on Dance? I'm guessing it's going to be bloody for the Greyjoys and Tyrells.

ChickenScratch 05-12-2011 01:03 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Well we have all that action going on up by the Wall with the Red Lady and the king in her thrall. They have troops moving north by land and sea so they will probably take and garrison Winterfell. The Greyjoys are going to be destroyed there in that push north. Surviving Greyjoy troops will most likely be given the choice of death or the Wall so that will bolster their numbers even more.

As for the Tyrells, I haven't a guess.

After I finish the book I'm reading I have to go back and reread the series. When the show started I just revisited the first book.

Buford The Sly 05-12-2011 01:37 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
I'm thinking Dany will Land in Dorne by the end of the book. At least I hope. I think Dorne will be Dany's best Westeros ally.

BlackLantern 05-12-2011 07:36 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
maybe...anyone kind of cheering for her to take the throne?

ChickenScratch 05-12-2011 07:42 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Only her own people and malcontents. But with Westeros now 7 separate warring kingdoms and all that's going on in the north, she could easily sweep in and win hearts ... especially with the dragons.

Marvolo 05-12-2011 10:40 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Just finished the first book and wow! So far Tyrion is my favorite character, and I look forward to his chapters the most. All the Lannisters except him can die bloody for all I care. Sneaky conniving lot the bunch of em, and Joffrey getting pitched off a tower would make me happy lol. I will be giving my thoughts on the second book as I read it. Should take me about a week. Im hoping to have the first 4 done in a month. I'm on page 78 now and when Tyrion showed up at court it was a great moment. Cersei was pissed lol.

Buford The Sly 05-13-2011 09:09 AM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvolo (Post 20316525)
Just finished the first book and wow! So far Tyrion is my favorite character, and I look forward to his chapters the most. All the Lannisters except him can die bloody for all I care. Sneaky conniving lot the bunch of em, and Joffrey getting pitched off a tower would make me happy lol. I will be giving my thoughts on the second book as I read it. Should take me about a week. Im hoping to have the first 4 done in a month. I'm on page 78 now and when Tyrion showed up at court it was a great moment. Cersei was pissed lol.

A Clash of Kings is Tyrion's book so you should really enjoy that one. He has some really great moments in A Storm of Swords too.

Buford The Sly 05-13-2011 09:14 AM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenScratch (Post 20314465)
Only her own people and malcontents. But with Westeros now 7 separate warring kingdoms and all that's going on in the north, she could easily sweep in and win hearts ... especially with the dragons.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Once the Others bring down the wall, I think everyone will rally around the Dragons. I've read an interesting theory that Bran is shaping up to be the big baddie of the series. Now that would be an interesting twist.

ChickenScratch 05-13-2011 01:03 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Bran huh? That's interesting since he is heading north for some reason with Hodor and those kids. Or maybe he's being drawn to something Bran The Builder left there for him to make him whole again and Bond him permanently with the wall.

BlackLantern 05-13-2011 05:54 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Robert has other bastards out there, why is Gendry so important?...is he the only male bastard, maybe its about who his mother is?

Crockett 05-14-2011 10:10 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
After much delayed I finally bought A Feast For Crows (UK paperback cover) yesterday and I'm currently reading it now.

Buford The Sly 05-16-2011 10:47 AM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenScratch (Post 20320281)
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Bran huh? That's interesting since he is heading north for some reason with Hodor and those kids. Or maybe he's being drawn to something Bran The Builder left there for him to make him whole again and Bond him permanently with the wall.

The theory I read was pretty well though out too. I'll post a link to it if I run across it again.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
It had to do with mind control traditionally being an "evil" power throughout fantasy books. Also the fact them Jojen is constantly trying to reign Bran in with his Warging. Old Nan saying not to trust crows "they're all lyers."

Buford The Sly 05-16-2011 10:52 AM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackLantern (Post 20323197)
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Robert has other bastards out there, why is Gendry so important?...is he the only male bastard, maybe its about who his mother is?

Robert has 16 bastards in all I believe. Cersei is was after Gendry because he was found out about that's all.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
There's Edric Storm who Melisandre is always wanting to burn because he has King's blood. The seed is strong means that all the bastards have dark hair and blue eyes.

ChickenScratch 05-16-2011 11:55 AM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buford The Sly (Post 20343649)
Robert has 16 bastards in all I believe. Cersei is was after Gendry because he was found out about that's all.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
There's Edric Storm who Melisandre is always wanting to burn because he has King's blood. The seed is strong means that all the bastards have dark hair and blue eyes.

Gendry if the focus because he's the one in Kings Landing, right under her nose. I also think that Ned's interest in him is a bit more than the love for a best friend's (almost brother in law) kid. I think judging from Gendry's relationship with Arya, they get along like siblings, like Jon and her. I think Gendry and Jon have either the same mother (if it's not been disprove) or their mothers were sisters.

Also, I don't take that whole Bran thing to heart. There are no outright heroes or villains, Septas and Maesters are often superstitious. Fear of the 3 eyed crow, fear of winter, way I see it is Bran is the first to unlock those powers in a long time and he is a Stark so he will probably take the wall since he can't be lord of Winterfell.

Buford The Sly 05-16-2011 01:53 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenScratch (Post 20344139)
Gendry if the focus because he's the one in Kings Landing, right under her nose. I also think that Ned's interest in him is a bit more than the love for a best friend's (almost brother in law) kid. I think judging from Gendry's relationship with Arya, they get along like siblings, like Jon and her. I think Gendry and Jon have either the same mother (if it's not been disprove) or their mothers were sisters.

Also, I don't take that whole Bran thing to heart. There are no outright heroes or villains, Septas and Maesters are often superstitious. Fear of the 3 eyed crow, fear of winter, way I see it is Bran is the first to unlock those powers in a long time and he is a Stark so he will probably take the wall since he can't be lord of Winterfell.

Well Bran could certainly Warg the Dragons at a certain point in the future. The whole Euron Greyjoy's Valayrian Dragon horn is certainly a monkeywrench in Dany's plan.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I can see one, if not all three Dragons, not making it to the end.

Colossal Spoons 05-16-2011 08:23 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
What book does the Red Wedding go down in?

ChickenScratch 05-16-2011 08:42 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
You should know that one.

BlackLantern 05-16-2011 08:43 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
A Storm of Swords - Book 3

Colossal Spoons 05-16-2011 08:54 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenScratch (Post 20349067)
You should know that one.

Ha, only just started book 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackLantern (Post 20349071)
A Storm of Swords - Book 3

Word, I got a ways to go.

ChickenScratch 05-16-2011 10:24 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Oh, I thought you were further along.

Did anyone see someone in the other thread speculating about Ned and Jamie and what happens to them at the end of the season? Wrong, but it's interesting to see what people think will happen. I guess they don't get yet that no one is safe.

Buford The Sly 05-17-2011 07:52 AM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenScratch (Post 20350117)
Oh, I thought you were further along.

Did anyone see someone in the other thread speculating about Ned and Jamie and what happens to them at the end of the season? Wrong, but it's interesting to see what people think will happen. I guess they don't get yet that no one is safe.

It's bittersweet for sure. That's what I like about GRRM you get closure on some threads but it's almost always in a way you don't expect.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
King in the North and Dragons will be great.

Paroxysm 05-17-2011 02:27 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
I'm 360 pages into the first book and love it.

Ahura Mazda 05-19-2011 08:06 AM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
When is the new one due to be out. It seems like forever.

Buford The Sly 05-19-2011 08:51 AM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahura Mazda (Post 20368741)
When is the new one due to be out. It seems like forever.

July 12th

Colossal Spoons 05-20-2011 03:37 AM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Idk if it's just the way this narrator is doing the voice, but he's really making Gendry seem like a dullard. Almost Hodor stupid. I'm up to the part where Arya, Gendry, Hotpie, and a few other boys are all that's left of their night's watch pack and are foraging for food

Buford The Sly 05-20-2011 08:35 AM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
http://grrm.livejournal.com/
A Dance with Dragons details from the man himself. Very interesting stuff here. Touches on lots of POVs we can expect.

ChickenScratch 05-20-2011 11:11 AM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons (Post 20376615)
Idk if it's just the way this narrator is doing the voice, but he's really making Gendry seem like a dullard. Almost Hodor stupid. I'm up to the part where Arya, Gendry, Hotpie, and a few other boys are all that's left of their night's watch pack and are foraging for food

What narrator?

Buford The Sly 05-20-2011 11:27 AM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenScratch (Post 20379073)
What narrator?

I think he's talking about the audio books' Roy Dotrice.

ChickenScratch 05-20-2011 11:37 AM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Got it.

Paroxysm 05-21-2011 01:11 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
I also have the audio books, Roy Dotrice voices more than 500 different characters. I think it's a world record or something.

Colossal Spoons 05-21-2011 01:21 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
He was describing some whore giving Theon oral pleasures and I'd never been more uncomfortable haha

His Hodor is awesome though

Paroxysm 05-21-2011 01:25 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons (Post 20390343)
He was describing some whore giving Theon oral pleasures and I'd never been more uncomfortable haha

His Hodor is awesome though

Yeah I hate when he talks about sex, so awkward. lol

Colossal Spoons 05-21-2011 01:38 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
I had to look up what he looked like and it got 5x creepier

Paroxysm 05-21-2011 01:41 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons (Post 20390511)
I had to look up what he looked like and it got 5x creepier

So true. :hehe:

Crockett 05-25-2011 09:13 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Finally I've read finished A Feast for Crows. Can't wait until A Dance with Dragons comes out.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Arya. :(

Buford The Sly 05-25-2011 09:26 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crockett (Post 20429683)
Finally I've read finished A Feast for Crows. Can't wait until A Dance with Dragons comes out.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Arya. :(

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Yeah fortunately we'll get an Arya chapter in Dance. We will probably have to wait on the Brienne cliffhanger though.

Crockett 05-25-2011 09:39 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buford The Sly (Post 20429799)
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Yeah fortunately we'll get an Arya chapter in Dance. We will probably have to wait on the Brienne cliffhanger though.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Oh yeah, and that Brinne cliffhanger. I truly hope that she's not dead. After A Storm of Swords it's quite refreshing that the events is in a more slow pace, for Cersei's chapters I thought I'm going to hate it but it's nice to get an insight inside the character, actually. I like most of the new characters (Greyjoys, eh) but I gotta admit it'll be nice getting the rest of the characters back. I'm so excited.

Marvolo 06-01-2011 04:41 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Just finished a clash with kings. Once again the unexpected is to be expected with GRR Martin.

Colossal Spoons 06-09-2011 04:19 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Just finished Clash of Kings. At the end, Osha says something like "We must leave, the smell of death will bring wolves and not all on 4 feet".

Is she talking about what I think she's talking bout? And tell me you get to see them! :awesome:

And if somebody could clear something up for me:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Theon just lied about killing Bran and Rickon? My audio book was missing a few chapters. Where did he get bodies to burn?

BlackLantern 06-09-2011 05:59 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
a theory I have about Jon Snow

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I think John is the son of Neds sister and Robert....while they were off fighting the rebellion, maybe Ned had a chance to see her...she was pregnant, it was Roberts, and she swore that Ned raise him


again....just a theory

Buford The Sly 06-09-2011 09:35 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons (Post 20553319)
Just finished Clash of Kings. At the end, Osha says something like "We must leave, the smell of death will bring wolves and not all on 4 feet".

Is she talking about what I think she's talking bout? And tell me you get to see them! :awesome:

And if somebody could clear something up for me:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Theon just lied about killing Bran and Rickon? My audio book was missing a few chapters. Where did he get bodies to burn?

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
He got them from a near by farmer and wife's kids. He used to shtup the wife on the side. Real class act that one.

Buford The Sly 06-09-2011 09:36 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackLantern (Post 20554111)
a theory I have about Jon Snow

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I think John is the son of Neds sister and Robert....while they were off fighting the rebellion, maybe Ned had a chance to see her...she was pregnant, it was Roberts, and she swore that Ned raise him


again....just a theory

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
The most popular theory is Rheagar not Robert.

Colossal Spoons 06-10-2011 09:10 AM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buford The Sly (Post 20555681)
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
He got them from a near by farmer and wife's kids. He used to shtup the wife on the side. Real class act that one.

Oh, that would explain why he kept thinking about her. What a guy.

Buford The Sly 07-12-2011 01:19 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Got A Dance With Dragons on my desk right now. Got through the prologue during lunch. Barnes and Noble only had two copies on the shelf when I got there. I'm guessing they had more in the back but who knows. The clerk asked if I had read the other 4 (um, yeah), which he had not, I told him to get on it, he's missing out.

Crockett 07-12-2011 01:34 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
It is good so far?

I haven't seen the book at the bookstore that's around me yet, either I'll wait a bit longer until it appears or if not then I'll order it online. I'm currently reading a few books now anyway.

Paroxysm 07-12-2011 01:36 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
I just finished reading ASOS Jaime III.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Damn, they cut off his goddamn hand. Brutal, something tells me it'll be his sword hand.

Also the sword fight Jamie and Brienne had was sick. Yield Dammit!!!! lol

Buford The Sly 07-12-2011 02:04 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crockett (Post 20848097)
It is good so far?

I haven't seen the book at the bookstore that's around me yet, either I'll wait a bit longer until it appears or if not then I'll order it online. I'm currently reading a few books now anyway.

Well the prologue features more in depth knowledge on warging/skinchanging and an army of wights and Others, so yeah it's good so far.

Colossal Spoons 07-12-2011 02:16 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paroxysm (Post 20848119)
I just finished reading ASOS Jaime III.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Damn, they cut off his goddamn hand. Brutal, something tells me it'll be his sword hand.

Also the sword fight Jamie and Brienne had was sick. Yield Dammit!!!! lol

Yeah, that fight was nuts!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com, A property of Mandatory, a divison of AtomicOnline, LLC © 2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.