The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   X-Men 1, 2 & 3 (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=466)
-   -   Official Cyclops/marsden Thread (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=193444)

Octoberist 08-12-2005 03:39 PM

Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
I'm not the biggest Cyclops in the world, but I do acknowledge his importance within the X-Men mythos.

Yet, I feel like out of all of the characters within the X-Movieverse, Cykes never had a real moment to shine (perhaps in X1, but nothing in X2). The sad thing is that I feel like there's no love for Cyclops here either. I was like "Where's the official Cyclops thread?" (And no, that petition to keep Cyclops alive doesn't count!) Does anyone care? I'm not even a Cyclops fan and I'm doing this...for you! The PEOPLE. Yes you, with your overly large eyes gawking at the screen.

This is the lair where Cyclops can get some love. Now show it damnit! :o

JP 08-12-2005 03:42 PM

Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
I care :(

*lights lighter and waves hand*

The Guard 08-12-2005 03:46 PM

Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
I disagree. Will elaborate later.

I love these threads.

DorkyFresh 08-12-2005 03:48 PM

Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
Although I don't care for Marsden AS Cyclops (I wish Caviezel had stuck with X-Men)....I DO wish Cyclops was more refined. He feels 2 dimensional compared to Jean. Marsden DID do a good job at the end of X2 though....so I hope Ratner gives Scott a bigger/better role this time around. Logan needs to take a backseat........I love Logan to death, but they need to focus on other characters now that Logan's past has been, for the most part, covered.

Octoberist 08-12-2005 03:53 PM

Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
I agree with Dorky Fresh. I don't like Cyclops but I respect his role within the X-Men team. I want him to shine and give me a reason to care about the poor lad.

I don't want him to be the 'jealous uptight boyfriend'. I want him to be the friggin' team leader. And if someone says "Uhhh..Storm took over as the leader when Cyclops was absent. So she's a leader as well...uhh".

When I think of the X-Men and when I think of the true leader, I don't think of Storm. In my mind, she's the second in command while Cykes is the General of the group. Plain and simple. I'm no fanboy and I don't know all of the history of the X-Men, but in general, Cyclops is refered as the true leader (not including Prof. X).

People have to think outside of the box sometimes.

Besides, Storm had her friggin' moments in X2 while Cykes was left in the cold. X3 should of been HIS moment of greatness and I just hope that his role got expanded.

Lightning Strykez! 08-12-2005 03:54 PM

Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
I love Slim...

I will develop a pic gallery for this thread in his honor. I'll update this post with it.

--------------------
UPDATE:

GALLERY I

http://www.psxnation.com/reviews/dvd...pointfive2.jpg

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/290/3465/640/cyclops.jpg

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-imag...29/cyclops.jpg

http://marvel1.scanz.tripod.com/imag...s-original.jpg

http://ripgibbon.free.fr/images/Comi...ds.Cyclops.jpg

http://www.insomniacmania.com/news/news_1776_1.jpg

http://images.allposters.com/images/ATA/24381MV.jpg

DorkyFresh 08-12-2005 04:02 PM

Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
OC LA Batys got it right....


....Cyclops isn't supposed to be likeable, BUT he IS supposed to the leader. He's supposed to be the friggin' LEADER!!!! He didn't feel like a leader in EITHER of the X-films. In X-Men it felt like Logan was calling the shots and in X2 it was Storm. C'MON! I want to see Cyclops give some commands and tell his fellow mutants what needs to be done to achieve their goal! If they see a huge Sentinal coming around the building I don't want to see Wolverine run off and Cyclops following him......I want Cyclops to tell Wolverine to hide behind a dumpster and wait for the Sentinal to pass so Wolverine can sneak attack or SOMETHIN'! SHEESH!! hehe.....okay....i'm done...

gap5ewl 08-12-2005 04:05 PM

Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
cyclops is one of my favorite characters and is very important. i hoep he has a big role in the third one and DOESNT die!

Endeavor 08-12-2005 04:07 PM

Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
I'm a huge Cyclops fan, and I've thought about starting one of these threads for him many times.
The reason I haven't done it is, quite simply, I don't want to deal with that nagging thought in the back of my mind that keeps telling me what we read in the script review will actually come to pass. If it does, well I don't know how I will react, but it's not something I'm looking forward to. So I've neglected Cyke to try and avoid thinking about it too much.
:(

Jan Irisi 08-12-2005 04:11 PM

Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
Ok, I know I am going to get a heap of flamage for this but let's think about something. Everyone rants about how Halle is limited in her acting ability and how Storm is not the character she is supposed to be because of this. Well, is there anyone out there who may think the same is true about Marsden? Does anyone perhaps think that Marsden is not quite a powerful or adept enough actor to pull off what is required for the character?

I say this because fair is fair. Folks are more than happy to jump all over Halle and her lack of acting chops or supposed ego or what have you, yet no one has brought up what I mentioned above. Maybe James just doesn't have the chops to command the screen, to pull off the leadership qualities that are needed to make Cyclops look like the leader he is supposed to be.


*waits for the folks to come out of the woodwork on this post*

Joaqenix 08-12-2005 04:15 PM

Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
This is my personal opinion, but I think James Marsden is a fine actor. If you've seen him in other stuff, hes always been really good. I liked him in The 24th Day a lot. Really small movie, I doubt most people have seen it. I also heard he was great in Heights, but I haven't seen that.

You can only do so much with the lame material that was provided for his character in the second movie. I thought Cyclops was fine in the first movie though. I understand not everyone can shine in the movies, but I'd expect that the leader of the X-Men would receive adequate screen time.

DorkyFresh 08-12-2005 04:15 PM

Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
Well, as much as I don't want to see Halle Berry as Storm....I wish Singer had gotten someone different for Cyclops also. Although Marsden did a good job at the end of X2....he just doesn't have the commanding presence of a leader that Cyclops is supposed to have. I DO have my doubts that if they put more focus on Cyclops that Marsden might not deliver, but regardless of Marsden's looks or acting abilities Cyclops DOES need (and deserve) more development.

Xfanfan 08-12-2005 04:18 PM

Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
Thank you Jan Iris for making that comment, Marsden is just too young to play Cyclops. They should have gotten someone more the age of Halle or Jackman to play Cyclops. Marsden has the boyish look that does not go with Cyclops unless they were going for a X-men Evolution Cyclops. Since we are stuck with him, I think its better that Storm leads plus we saw Storm begin to show leadership quality in X2 which is a set up for the third movie. That said, I still think that they should keep him alive for the Phoenix Saga storyline and show his relationship with Jean.

Xfanfan

Lightning Strykez! 08-12-2005 04:18 PM

Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Irisi
Ok, I know I am going to get a heap of flamage for this but let's think about something. Everyone rants about how Halle is limited in her acting ability and how Storm is not the character she is supposed to be because of this. Well, is there anyone out there who may think the same is true about Marsden? Does anyone perhaps think that Marsden is not quite a powerful or adept enough actor to pull off what is required for the character?

I say this because fair is fair. Folks are more than happy to jump all over Halle and her lack of acting chops or supposed ego or what have you, yet no one has brought up what I mentioned above. Maybe James just doesn't have the chops to command the screen, to pull off the leadership qualities that are needed to make Cyclops look like the leader he is supposed to be.


*waits for the folks to come out of the woodwork on this post*

What an interesting thought Jan. :up:

It is true--they've reduced Scott to a mere pu$$ of a man, but I do believe if called upon James could do the job. In my opinion his grieving over the death of Jean in X2 (especially in the jet) was top-notch and flawlessly portrayed.

But you're right--James Marsden doesn't get an ounce of the hate that Halle recieves for speaking up about her role. Maybe he's taking a hint from what she's going through with these fanboys and has decided that playing second fiddle to Hugh's Logan is not worth defending Scott's role in the film.

It's a shame...because he'll be vaporized as a mere nothing in X3 for NOT being a more pivotal player in this series.

*grabs popcorn and sits back on couch waiting*

Slim_X 08-12-2005 04:22 PM

Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
I hope he doesn't die and has a bigger role than Wolverine.

Lightning Strykez! 08-12-2005 04:24 PM

Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xfanfan
That said, I still think that they should keep him alive for the Phoenix Saga storyline and show his relationship with Jean.

Xfanfan

Agreed.

Demolecularizing him is NOT the answer. Let him be an emotional wreck and therefore unfit to lead for a while. It's happened in the comics and it can happen here too.

Killing him is not only stupid, but it's unneccessary, as Scott has never died in the comics.

Octoberist 08-12-2005 04:28 PM

Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
I know..for God's sakes, he's Jean's boyfriend. They shouldn't just pull a Boba Fett and kill him off as if was nothing!

Endeavor 08-12-2005 04:29 PM

Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Lightning
Agreed.

Demolecularizing him is NOT the answer. Let him be an emotional wreck and therefore unfit to lead for a while. It's happened in the comics and it can happen here too.

Killing him is not only stupid, but it's unneccessary, as Scott has never died in the comics.

:up:
I remember when Arad was badmouthing us saying we're idiots because we were not remembering the fact that the characters have died in the comics. Last I checked possession does not equal death.

Jan Irisi 08-12-2005 04:30 PM

Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
No matter how or why James Marsden got the part, he is Cyclops now. No turning back. What I am saying is that perhaps TPOB realize that he, while he may be a good actor, is limited in what he can do in the part, or he lacks certain qualities to push the characterization over the top as it were. And because they may have realized that Marsden lacked what was needed, they wrote his part (or trimmed it substantially) so the part would not end up sitting there like a lead brick when James attempted to do what he lacked the skills or even the believability to do. They worked with what they had. Fortunately they had enough talent to pick up the pieces here and there and they were fortunate to have Stewart and Sir Ian in place, they were lucky to find Jackman to fill in for Dougray Scott at the last minute...and so on.

Endeavor 08-12-2005 04:30 PM

Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slim_X
I hope he doesn't die and has a bigger role than Wolverine.

I would love that. But it's never going to happen. :(

Endeavor 08-12-2005 04:34 PM

Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Irisi
No matter how or why James Marsden got the part, he is Cyclops now. No turning back. What I am saying is that perhaps TPOB realize that he, while he may be a good actor, is limited in what he can do in the part, or he lacks certain qualities to push the characterization over the top as it were. And because they may have realized that Marsden lacked what was needed, they wrote his part (or trimmed it substantially) so the part would not end up sitting there like a lead brick when James attempted to do what he lacked the skills or even the believability to do. They worked with what they had. Fortunately they had enough talent to pick up the pieces here and there and they were fortunate to have Stewart and Sir Ian in place, they were lucky to find Jackman to fill in for Dougray Scott at the last minute...and so on.

I don't think so. I've seen Marsden act elsewhere and he's very talented.

Besides what you're saying is very speculative and is basically the same argument being used against Halle Berry. Are you saying you think Halle Berry's lack of talent is the reason why Storm was written the way she comes out in the movies? Because if we're going to start guessing at the writers and director's motives for portraying a character a certain way and then basing those guesses on what we think of the actors talents, well that has to go accross the board.

aaron 08-12-2005 04:35 PM

Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
nope it isnt unfortunately, its a shame, marsden's a great actor.

Jan Irisi 08-12-2005 04:39 PM

Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Endeavor
I don't think so. I've seen Marsden act elsewhere and he's very talented.

Besides what you're saying is very speculative and is basically the same argument being used against Halle Berry. Are you saying you think Halle Berry's lack of talent is the reason why Storm was written the way she comes out in the movies? Because if we're going to start guessing at the writers and director's motives for portraying a character a certain way and then basing those guesses on what we think of the actors talents, well that has to go accross the board.

That is why I said "perhaps".

And maybe, just maybe, one can go "across the board" as you say. We will never know one way or another, but I can see where it might occur that way.

The Indigo Fire 08-12-2005 05:16 PM

Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
IMO, I think that Marsden's acting at the end of X-2 was amazing and actually almost bringing me to tears. But Marsden's lack of being vocal, I think, has little to do with his deatomizing in X-3. Marsden is the only one of the cast also to be in WB's Superman Returns, a film which leaves a bad taste in Fox's mouth because they lost Singer to that project. I'd like to believe that animosity has little to do with making films but we all know that's not always true. Fox probably sees Marsden as another Judas; and it has been mentioned that Marsden an the lead execs at Fox have gotten into arguments over this. I hate to say this but this may be another case of studio politics, trying to teach a lesson to Marsden for not boycotting Superman. Marsden may a martyr for Fox.

Lightning Strykez! 08-12-2005 05:51 PM

Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Indigo Fire
IMO, I think that Marsden's acting at the end of X-2 was amazing and actually almost bringing me to tears. But Marsden's lack of being vocal, I think, has little to do with his deatomizing in X-3. Marsden is the only one of the cast also to be in WB's Superman Returns, a film which leaves a bad taste in Fox's mouth because they lost Singer to that project. I'd like to believe that animosity has little to do with making films but we all know that's not always true. Fox probably sees Marsden as another Judas; and it has been mentioned that Marsden an the lead execs at Fox have gotten into arguments over this. I hate to say this but this may be another case of studio politics, trying to teach a lesson to Marsden for not boycotting Superman. Marsden may a martyr for Fox.

You fricking nailed it. Well done. :up:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com, A property of CraveOnline, a divison of AtomicOnline, LLC © 2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.