The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Superman Sequels (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=315)
-   -   Angry Superman? (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=247295)

ferlac333 08-21-2006 12:04 AM

Angry Superman?
 
Since Bryan Singer opted to portay a Superman who is more in touch with his emotions I think he should continue in that direction and make an angry Superman instead of a sad one. That would definatly make a better movie.

Zor-El 08-21-2006 01:24 AM

Re: Angry Superman?
 
Well Superman Returns ended with a content Superman, so i guess it could really go any which way.
Personally, I dont think Superman should be able to be defined by a single emotion and I hardly believe an angry Superman would be the way to go. I wouldnt mind a scene or two if a villain pushed him to the edge. But I dont think i'd be interested in an "angry superman"

BULLITT 08-22-2006 04:08 PM

Re: Angry Superman?
 
He's not Wolverine, get over it.

I Am The Knight 08-22-2006 10:25 PM

Re: Angry Superman?
 
No, that doesn't seems right for Supes. He's mostly content (I wouldn't say happy, as how can he be)........Now, if we are talking about Batman, that's a different story....

OzzMosiz 08-23-2006 06:26 AM

Re: Angry Superman?
 
I'd like to see him get angry. But not angry throught the film. A bit like he did when Lois died in Superman: The Movie - that gives me goosebumps.

Chris Reeve was pure class!

Edit: Its good to see someone with such control lose it. It makes them seem more human. One of the reasons I would like to see a range of emotions in Supes, even if he isn't biologically human.

BobJM 09-06-2006 12:53 AM

Re: Angry Superman?
 
I would love to see something along the lines of the S:TAS where Daniel Turpin is killed by Darkseid and Superman goes ballistic.

Here's something I envisioned:

It's pouring rain and a battle ravaged Superman (bleeding from Kryptonite) is emotionally and physically exhausted. A crowd is gathered, held back by police barriers. Luthor, knowing Superman's little secret about Jason, pushes the Kryptonian to the limit, causing him to snap. Screaming out in anger and pain, Superman beats Lex to a bloody mess. The whole crowd, with Lois standing up front, watches in fear and terror. Lois manages to pass the police, and lunges at Superman, calming him down. Superman eventually does and looks at the terrified audience. He is at a lose of words and flies off, Lois staring at him with tears in her eyes.

Just a little snippet, nothing to be taken seriously.

hypeSUPERMAN 09-25-2006 02:44 AM

Re: Angry Superman?
 
I think its an aweful idea to make Superman behave in an angry irrational manner. He should stand for truth and justice and balance.

Bad Superman 10-03-2006 09:46 AM

Re: Angry Superman?
 

h0metwnhero 10-03-2006 06:56 PM

Re: Angry Superman?
 
naw son
angry people become rash and make poor desicions
among all his other gifts one of his greatest powers was his instinctive knowledge of right and wrong. you cant exactly have that if your raging around being mad at everything. his cool head has kept him on top even in the worst of situations.

h0metwnhero 10-03-2006 06:56 PM

Re: Angry Superman?
 
double

KaptainKrypton 10-03-2006 08:48 PM

Re: Angry Superman?
 
I wouldn't want to see Superman become angry or bitter for no apparent reason. If it were in response to something relevant in the plot, then I suppose I wouldn't mind, but it'd definitely be one of those play-it-by-ear situations. I don't think it's in Routh's disposition as the character to play it that route anyway. He was a more mellow, dedicated Superman. What I did like about Routh's Superman is that even though life kept crapping on him, he still kept his chin up at the end of the movie and carried on. He didn't do what Peter Parker does and throw his costume in the s**tcan so he can catch up on his homework, you know? Even in Empire Strikes Back kind of circumstances where surviving is enough of a victory, he still manages to keep on truckin'.

KaptainKrypton 10-03-2006 08:51 PM

Re: Angry Superman?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Superman

"What're ya looking at! Hanh!!!":yay:

Bad Superman 10-04-2006 07:57 AM

Re: Angry Superman?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KaptainKrypton
"What're ya looking at! Hanh!!!":yay:

Classic quote from SIII. :woot: :up:

:cmad:

Andy C. 10-06-2006 11:50 PM

Re: Angry Superman?
 
Honestly, the only characters that have ever gotten Superman angry enough to "go ballistic" are folks like Darkseid and Doomsday, neither of which would translate all that well onto the big screen. And while it might be nice to see Big Blue go up against someone who could take a punch without their head splattering, the last thing I want to see is Superman throwing a hissy-fit. Save the angry-all-the-time crap for folks like Batman or Wolverine; Superman's supposed to be someone you actually like.

lujho 10-07-2006 05:48 AM

Re: Angry Superman?
 
Argh! The blanket dismissal of this idea is incredibly silly.

We're not talking about making superman constantly pissed off. "Angry" wouldn't a description of his entire personality. It's an emotion, and we all feel it if only momentarily.

Superman getting pissed off is very powerful precisely because he doesn't do it often. It doesn't make him "evil" or "dark" or "edgy" or Wolverine or Batman. It makes him normal. It's completely normal and IN CHARACTER. Happens all the time.

I'm not talking about a berserker rage either. More of a "now you're gonna get it" attitude... because you *know* that if somebody's done something to piss *Superman* off, then it's pretty bad. the Dan Turpin example is a good one. Also the "I feel like I live in a world made of cardboard" moment from Justice League Unlimited. And that allmighty roar of anguish in Superman 1 - how could that moment be any better?

Also, the idea that Darkseid or Doomsday would not "translate all that well onto the big screen" is uterly preposterous. Superman is fantasy, adventure, science fiction, action. People are obsessed with the notion of what will "fit in into Donner/Singer's universe" (insert "Nolan" when talking about Batman) or what would "work on screen", and it's just rubbish, eliminating key aspects of the character or his world because of some arbitrary idea that things can't get too big or outlandish or whatever. Narrowing the scope of what Superman can be. Making Supeman the only extraordinary thing in a mundane world and saying it can't/shouldn't be any other way.

It's just ****ing nonsense - you don't change Superman's world to fit in with Donner or Singer's vision. If anything you change Donner/Singer's world to fit the greater vision of the character, his world and history.

Make Superman a ****ing Space Opera. Make it an epic pulp sci-fi fantasy. Make it anything but saving people from Earthquakes over and over.

I swear some people must *want* Superman to be boring.

Sorry.... went on a tanget there. Back to angry Superman... or rather, Superman getting angry on occasion. When used judiciously (like, once per film/story) there's absolutely nothing wrong with it and would make for a great moment.

Part of the problem is that they never really let Superman fail at saving everyone, so what/who is there to get angry at?

Parker 10-07-2006 05:51 AM

Re: Angry Superman?
 
I don't think we need to see him angry. Maybe distressed and driven, but we already saw him Hulk out in Donner's first Superman.

Andy C. 10-07-2006 03:43 PM

Re: Angry Superman?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lujho
Also, the idea that Darkseid or Doomsday would not "translate all that well onto the big screen" is uterly preposterous. Superman is fantasy, adventure, science fiction, action. People are obsessed with the notion of what will "fit in into Donner/Singer's universe" (insert "Nolan" when talking about Batman) or what would "work on screen", and it's just rubbish, eliminating key aspects of the character or his world because of some arbitrary idea that things can't get too big or outlandish or whatever. Narrowing the scope of what Superman can be. Making Supeman the only extraordinary thing in a mundane world and saying it can't/shouldn't be any other way.

What I meant is that a character design like Darkseid's, when taken from ink-and-paper and brought into 3-D, would look silly. I'm not arguing that Darkseid isn't an important part of the Superman story; hell, I'm one of the few folks here who seem to like Superman having the larger-than-life adventures instead of watering him down.

What I meant is that a character design like Darkseid's, when taken from ink-and-paper and brought into 3-D, would look silly. I'm saying that Superman fighting a 12-foot-tall gray man in a tank top who looks like the love child of the Thing and a Sentinel wouldn't exactly work as well as it does when drawn. Granted, makeup effects have done impressive work with some of the more outlandish-looking superheroes lately (Hellboy immediately springs to mind), but I personally just can't picture a full-size live action Darkseid not looking incredibly fake.

As for the rest of your argument, I honestly agree with you that Superman should be able to let loose once someone pushes him far enough- I'll admit to misunderstanding your original intent. However, the problem is picking someone who can take the brunt of that sort of outburst without being completely obliterated. Sure, Lex Luthor could easily find a way to provoke him that much, but why on Earth would he want to? The only characters I can see who would knowingly and intentionally piss Supes off would be guys who could conceivably survive it, and most of those guys would know better anyway.

lujho 10-08-2006 07:38 PM

Re: Angry Superman?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy C.
What I meant is that a character design like Darkseid's, when taken from ink-and-paper and brought into 3-D, would look silly. I'm not arguing that Darkseid isn't an important part of the Superman story; hell, I'm one of the few folks here who seem to like Superman having the larger-than-life adventures instead of watering him down.

What I meant is that a character design like Darkseid's, when taken from ink-and-paper and brought into 3-D, would look silly. I'm saying that Superman fighting a 12-foot-tall gray man in a tank top who looks like the love child of the Thing and a Sentinel wouldn't exactly work as well as it does when drawn. Granted, makeup effects have done impressive work with some of the more outlandish-looking superheroes lately (Hellboy immediately springs to mind), but I personally just can't picture a full-size live action Darkseid not looking incredibly fake.

Okay, I see you meant visually. Well, I still disagree - he'd be incredibly easy to put on screen because he's quite human - just needs great make-up and the right physical performer. Darkseid is not 12 feet tall for one, and I think you can have a little leeway with his costume - it doesn't matter if he's wearing a purple tank-top or not, what matters is the face and skin texture and physical size (nowhere near 12 feet).

He'd look great on screen, and just as easily translatable as Hellboy - Hellboy is the model to follow, faithful but not slavishly so. Movie Hellboy wasn't proportioned like Mignola's hellboy, didn't have little hooves, didn't wear a little pair of shorts and no shirt. The face wasn't cartoonish like Mignola's art but it was definitely Hellboy, and getting the head/face right is 90% of the job.

WhatsHisFace 10-20-2006 04:17 PM

Re: Angry Superman?
 
Superman: The Emo Chronicles.

Yeah, no one would watch that.

NotFadeAway 10-21-2006 02:34 PM

Re: Angry Superman?
 
Bring Superman into the grey are of life in the sequel. Superman's beliefs are so black and white, feature him coming to grips that the world is shades of grey.

GreenKToo 10-22-2006 01:00 AM

Re: Angry Superman?
 
I agree.it actually hurts a film,IMHO,when they try and make it to realistic. It takes all the fun out of it. To me, thats what superman is all about,pure fantasy,and Sci-fi,not realism.If I want realism,I would stay home and watch the news. Folks worry about if the G.A. would accept a Darkseid,or a Doomsday,well I think they would turn out in droves..
Quote:

Originally Posted by lujho
Argh! The blanket dismissal of this idea is incredibly silly.

We're not talking about making superman constantly pissed off. "Angry" wouldn't a description of his entire personality. It's an emotion, and we all feel it if only momentarily.

Superman getting pissed off is very powerful precisely because he doesn't do it often. It doesn't make him "evil" or "dark" or "edgy" or Wolverine or Batman. It makes him normal. It's completely normal and IN CHARACTER. Happens all the time.

I'm not talking about a berserker rage either. More of a "now you're gonna get it" attitude... because you *know* that if somebody's done something to piss *Superman* off, then it's pretty bad. the Dan Turpin example is a good one. Also the "I feel like I live in a world made of cardboard" moment from Justice League Unlimited. And that allmighty roar of anguish in Superman 1 - how could that moment be any better?

Also, the idea that Darkseid or Doomsday would not "translate all that well onto the big screen" is uterly preposterous. Superman is fantasy, adventure, science fiction, action. People are obsessed with the notion of what will "fit in into Donner/Singer's universe" (insert "Nolan" when talking about Batman) or what would "work on screen", and it's just rubbish, eliminating key aspects of the character or his world because of some arbitrary idea that things can't get too big or outlandish or whatever. Narrowing the scope of what Superman can be. Making Supeman the only extraordinary thing in a mundane world and saying it can't/shouldn't be any other way.

It's just ****ing nonsense - you don't change Superman's world to fit in with Donner or Singer's vision. If anything you change Donner/Singer's world to fit the greater vision of the character, his world and history.

Make Superman a ****ing Space Opera. Make it an epic pulp sci-fi fantasy. Make it anything but saving people from Earthquakes over and over.

I swear some people must *want* Superman to be boring.

Sorry.... went on a tanget there. Back to angry Superman... or rather, Superman getting angry on occasion. When used judiciously (like, once per film/story) there's absolutely nothing wrong with it and would make for a great moment.

Part of the problem is that they never really let Superman fail at saving everyone, so what/who is there to get angry at?


Haik0 02-25-2014 02:52 AM

Re: Angry Superman?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lujho (Post 10279787)
Argh! The blanket dismissal of this idea is incredibly silly.

We're not talking about making superman constantly pissed off. "Angry" wouldn't a description of his entire personality. It's an emotion, and we all feel it if only momentarily.

Superman getting pissed off is very powerful precisely because he doesn't do it often. It doesn't make him "evil" or "dark" or "edgy" or Wolverine or Batman. It makes him normal. It's completely normal and IN CHARACTER. Happens all the time.

I'm not talking about a berserker rage either. More of a "now you're gonna get it" attitude... because you *know* that if somebody's done something to piss *Superman* off, then it's pretty bad. the Dan Turpin example is a good one. Also the "I feel like I live in a world made of cardboard" moment from Justice League Unlimited. And that allmighty roar of anguish in Superman 1 - how could that moment be any better?

Also, the idea that Darkseid or Doomsday would not "translate all that well onto the big screen" is uterly preposterous. Superman is fantasy, adventure, science fiction, action. People are obsessed with the notion of what will "fit in into Donner/Singer's universe" (insert "Nolan" when talking about Batman) or what would "work on screen", and it's just rubbish, eliminating key aspects of the character or his world because of some arbitrary idea that things can't get too big or outlandish or whatever. Narrowing the scope of what Superman can be. Making Supeman the only extraordinary thing in a mundane world and saying it can't/shouldn't be any other way.

It's just ****ing nonsense - you don't change Superman's world to fit in with Donner or Singer's vision. If anything you change Donner/Singer's world to fit the greater vision of the character, his world and history.

Make Superman a ****ing Space Opera. Make it an epic pulp sci-fi fantasy. Make it anything but saving people from Earthquakes over and over.

I swear some people must *want* Superman to be boring.

Sorry.... went on a tanget there. Back to angry Superman... or rather, Superman getting angry on occasion. When used judiciously (like, once per film/story) there's absolutely nothing wrong with it and would make for a great moment.

Part of the problem is that they never really let Superman fail at saving everyone, so what/who is there to get angry at?

I am so freakin agree with your idea!!! I register here just to support it.
The scene from DCUO trailer with the Supes vs BA is freakin satisfying,, I was waiting for this moment way to long, to see Superman incinerate the **** out off some villain, with his heat vision..
This is the situation when it the most fitting to see Supes to bombard the hell out of some stubborn villain, who doesn't know better then just stop destroying everything around...

smallville fan 03-01-2014 03:43 AM

Re: Angry Superman?
 
It's quite funny seeing these old threads which show how much all of you craved and cried out for a movie like Man of Steel and then a good number of you people turn your backs on it because you couldn't handle it or the critics told you to hate the film because it's not "Supermanly" and begged for Stalkerman: The Movie.

Steamteck 03-06-2014 07:47 AM

Re: Angry Superman?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by smallville fan (Post 28070305)
It's quite funny seeing these old threads which show how much all of you craved and cried out for a movie like Man of Steel and then a good number of you people turn your backs on it because you couldn't handle it or the critics told you to hate the film because it's not "Supermanly" and begged for Stalkerman: The Movie.


Funny and sad. But at least I got the superman film I wanted and enjoyed it

Blitzkrieg Bop 03-06-2014 03:40 PM

Re: Angry Superman?
 
One of my all time favorite moments in all of Superman lore is "You hurt Lana?!" I want a moment like that, where Superman is just done and he's gonna beat the unholy living **** outta Darkseid or Brainiac.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com, A property of CraveOnline, a divison of AtomicOnline, LLC © 2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.