The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   The Comics (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Kingdom Come (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=258334)

BatMan032886 12-02-2006 08:46 PM

Kingdom Come

I havent had the time to read this, and I dont see it any of the stores I check out regularly. So can someone tell me if this is worth the read. And just give me a quick plot and backstory? Thanks in advance.

charl_huntress 12-03-2006 12:17 AM

Re: Kingdom Come

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatMan032886
I havent had the time to read this, and I dont see it any of the stores I check out regularly. So can someone tell me if this is worth the read. And just give me a quick plot and backstory? Thanks in advance.

KC is always worth a read. I, personally, don't care for it because it's too Marvel for Superman. Yet, it is a good story, and the artwork isn't that bad. Though...Supes is old and does sort of have a beer belly:oldrazz:

Kevin Roegele 12-03-2006 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatMan032886

It's one of the all-time great Superman stories (even though it features the DC universe). Worth reading for the phenominal artwork by itself.

BatMan032886 12-04-2006 02:44 PM

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

not_a_victim 12-05-2006 12:38 PM

It's one of the best Supes (if you want to call it a Supes story) ever published.
Edit: Yes, it is fairly "Marvel-ish" for DC, but that in no way is bad. For once, DC reallly went with character development, like Marvel, but they certainly do not hold the copyright to it.

Prognosticator 12-05-2006 02:10 PM

This is a joke, right?

It's arguably the best and most ambitious Graphic Novel out there!

TwilightPro101 12-05-2006 06:23 PM

Don't even give it a second thought. Read it!

Harlekin 12-09-2006 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prognosticator
This is a joke, right?

It's arguably the best and most ambitious Graphic Novel out there!

That is indeed arguable, and Kingdom Come isn't a graphic novel.

Beyond that, yes, pick it up. It's very good.

dnjscott 12-09-2006 08:46 PM

You should pick it up quick, especially since it's arguably pretty canonical. The Superman from it has visited our time before and apparently will again...

SPOILERS (kinda)

per some teasers in JSA #1.

The Question 12-09-2006 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harlekin
That is indeed arguable, and Kingdom Come isn't a graphic novel.

Not to mention, it's far from the most ambitious. From Hell was ambitious. Sandman was ambitious. Kingdom Come, while very well written and all around a modern epic tale, broke no new ground and introduced no origional ideas. I'm not saying it isn't very very good. Just that it is definately not the best.

JTStarkiller 12-12-2006 12:12 AM

Asked for it for Christmas. Looking forward to reading it (along with New Frontier).

Scottish Flash 12-12-2006 07:06 AM

Bought it yesterday, was a bit hesitant about getting it because i wasnt a huge fan of Alex Ross' artwork but decided to pick it up since the story is supposed to be so good.

The story is excellent an i'd highly recommend anyone who hasn't read this yet to get out there and do so. Also the artwork has grown on me :woot:

echostation 12-12-2006 11:10 AM

but i hate the fact that superman gets his ass kicked so easily by Shazam or whatever his name is

The Question 12-12-2006 03:31 PM

It seemed pretty equal to me. And, in any event, while Superman is very powerful, Captain Marvel is, essentially, the chosen one. I always saw him and Shazam as being the real pros.

Kevin Roegele 12-31-2006 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echostation
but i hate the fact that superman gets his ass kicked so easily by Shazam or whatever his name is

The guy is firing lightening bolts at him! Besides, Superman does put a stop to that.

ssj wolverine 01-01-2007 10:13 AM

Didn't Superman get his revenge and beat Shazam? I am a fan of Supes and everytime someone mentions Kingdom Kome they mention the fight that Shazam won but never mention if Superman beat him in a rematch.

The Question 01-01-2007 10:24 AM

There was no rematch.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Captain Marvel died trying to avert a nuclear holocaust shortly after the fight.

Cyclops3235 01-01-2007 11:31 AM

i just bought kingdom come, and it the best dc story ive ever read, and quite possibly the best comic ive ever read. its fantastic.

The Question 01-01-2007 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclops3235
i just bought kingdom come, and it the best dc story ive ever read, and quite possibly the best comic ive ever read. its fantastic.

Wow. You haven't read many good comics, ahev you? I mean, Kngdom Come is great, but there are other comics that far surpass it.

Kevin Roegele 01-01-2007 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssj wolverine
Didn't Superman get his revenge and beat Shazam? I am a fan of Supes and everytime someone mentions Kingdom Kome they mention the fight that Shazam won but never mention if Superman beat him in a rematch.

Getting revenge is not something Superman would ever do. That's part of the whole concept of Kingdom Come.

Kevin Roegele 01-01-2007 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Question
Wow. You haven't read many good comics, ahev you? I mean, Kngdom Come is great, but there are other comics that far surpass it.

Name them, sir, name them!

The Question 01-01-2007 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Roegele
Name them, sir, name them!

Sandman, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Animal Man, and Marvels to name a few.

Czar Colossus 01-07-2007 12:45 AM

What the best is is all a matter of taste. I've been reading and collecting comics
for almost 35 years and I put Kingdom Come up there as one of my top 5 all time favorite stories. I respect anyone who may disagree, but I'd say it's something everyone should have in their collection.:yay:

trustyside-kick 01-07-2007 09:21 PM

Kingdom Come was a very good read. You should definitely go pick it up.

BH/HHH 01-18-2013 05:42 PM

The greatest graphic novel of all time