The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did? (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=278915)

taintedFB 07-16-2007 04:19 PM

Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
Superman Returns picks up after Superman 2, as if parts 3 and 4 didn't exist and never happened. Even part 2 is in what they call a "vague" history....

Should the next team movie pick up where X2 left off and disregard X3?

That way all our favorite characters would be intact. Phoenix can emerge first as a force of good, before being corrupted.... Scott and Jean could finally headline the Phoenix/ Dark Phoenix storyline.

The cure plot could be combined with Sentinels....

You could also introduce the Hellfire Club as Mastermind, or Emma Frost tries to currupt Phoenix... and you could introduce Gambit...

All in all, X2 left us all with such great hopes for the next movie, that if another team movie happens, I hope it picks up where it left off. What do you all think?

flavio_lebeau 07-16-2007 04:39 PM

Re: Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
What I do think is, in 15/20 years, Bryan could come back and make his X3. Obviously, with new actors.

As for a next team movie, I just want an X4, or, very remotely, a reboot. Disregarding X3 isn't the way to go. The genreal audience does remember X3, and they seem to like it a lot. The x-movies are already a bit confusing for those who don't follow, just imagine forgeting a whole movie. It would be mind breaking.

So yeah, bring on an X4, and do the "X-Men return" trick in some decades. I still want to see my Phoenix bird one day, damnit :mad:

taintedFB 07-16-2007 04:54 PM

Re: Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
I also want an X4. But I feel X3 squandered the best stories for the movies... Maybe an alternate reality movie.... Like the age of apocalypse. Or a time travel story with flashbacks of X3 and reshot scenes... that could introduce Bishop and possibly Cable and undo some deaths or cures...

I'd like to see Wanda make a wish (reminiscent of M-Day) and voila, Scott and Jean are still alive but the world is a very different place.

Or Bishop comes from the future... Saying this is all wrong. Without the son of Scott Summers and Jean Grey the future falls to Apocalypse ( a horrible future reminiscent of Terminator).

X-Maniac 07-16-2007 05:34 PM

Re: Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by taintedFB (Post 12190253)
Superman Returns picks up after Superman 2, as if parts 3 and 4 didn't exist and never happened. Even part 2 is in what they call a "vague" history....

Should the next team movie pick up where X2 left off and disregard X3?

That way all our favorite characters would be intact. Phoenix can emerge first as a force of good, before being corrupted.... Scott and Jean could finally headline the Phoenix/ Dark Phoenix storyline.

The cure plot could be combined with Sentinels....

You could also introduce the Hellfire Club as Mastermind, or Emma Frost tries to currupt Phoenix... and you could introduce Gambit...

All in all, X2 left us all with such great hopes for the next movie, that if another team movie happens, I hope it picks up where it left off. What do you all think?

Sorry but this is all fanboy wishful thinking gone crazy.

While it is remotely, theoretically possible to pick up from X2 (X3's Phoenix could be an evil clone or something..the real Jean could still be under the lake slumbering away!), it would, to the mainstream audience and critics, be ridiculous. Firstly, what is the guarantee that Bryan Singer would come back to do it - would he want to, would he be allowed to? Would all the cast come back? What is the guarantee that this new X3 would tell the story you want it to tell? Another director and writers would have their own ideas, which is what already happened with the existing X3. We have no idea how Bryan's own X3 would have turned out, or would turn out in future - Fox might well make demands regarding the roles of Cyclops, Phoenix and Wolverine. Fox wants Wolverine centre stage, it doesn't really want Cyclops and it didn't really want Phoenix either. Why would this be any different?

Secondly, Superman Returns may have used the previous movies as a vague history but it did not make radical changes on matters of life, death or powers. Ignoring the existing X3 would mean Cyclops and Jean still alive, Xavier still obviously alive, Magneto, Rogue and Mystique not cured. That's a lot of differences, far more than in SR's 'vague history.'

You are making massive assumptions that Singer and all the cast would come back and that a perfect script would be written that would be exactly what you want. Does all that sound realistic? No, it doesn't.

Goddessreicho 07-16-2007 05:34 PM

Re: Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
Why stop at ignoring X3?

I say yes to ignoring past mistakes. Lets get rid of the repiditive garbage storyline we had to take in X2 that was suppose to be God Loves.

No wait, lets not stop there. Trash the wooden medicore bland cutouts we were served in the name of style and art.

Lets get back the basic personalities that were stripped away along with the actual personalized basic stories that go with them, as well as someone in charge actually familiar with the material.

Yep, I agree. We should go back. WAY back. Pre 2000, we can start by trashing that 94 script that was the basis for XINO.

And lets for a minute go on to discuss how the idea of selective continuity went over with the Superman fanbase. As well as the "sucess" of Superman Returns. That didn't leave a bitter taste in the industry at all...

taintedFB 07-16-2007 06:02 PM

Re: Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
It's just a theoretical discussion for fun. I have no delusions of any of this happening...

X-Maniac 07-16-2007 06:06 PM

Re: Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by taintedFB (Post 12191205)
It's just a theoretical discussion for fun. I have no delusions of any of this happening...

Oh okay, I'll lighten up and take off my schoolmasterly hat. :hyper:

TwilightPro101 07-16-2007 08:58 PM

Re: Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
No repeat performances please.

Mr. Socko 07-16-2007 11:30 PM

Re: Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
I think it's a ridiculous idea.


SR picked up nearly 20 years later. So we should wait 20 years?

cjhill_14 07-22-2007 01:52 AM

Re: Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
Isnt the new hulk movie going to be a rebot and a sequel,like superman returns.

spideyboy_1111 07-22-2007 05:44 AM

Re: Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
no movie should do what SR did... horrible ass movie

spideyboy_1111 07-22-2007 05:45 AM

Re: Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
and incredible hulk is a sequel, there just not mentioning the past movie

thegameq 07-23-2007 03:49 PM

Re: Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
No. Get property away from Fox. Reboot. Get a director who is a fanboy of the material and a gifted director (ala Raimi). Anything less and we'll likely get another half-assed, personalized, ego-driven interpretation.

SuperT 07-23-2007 06:16 PM

Re: Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
No reboots, no Superman Returns style reboots, no ignoring certain parts of the trilogy. It would be absolutely stupid to do that, plus the general audience would be like "WTF?". All of the above options are totally idiotic and unnessecary. It wouldn't be that hard to make an X4 script.

- Keep Jean Dead forever
- Xavier at Muir Island w/ Moira
- Magneto out of the picture
- Reveal that Cyclops is actually alive in a believable way.
- Bring in Emma and the Hellfire Club working w/ Senator Trask and the Project Wideawake
- Keep all the characters from the first three movies, and add some news ones. Maybe finally giving Jubilee her time to shine, and Gambit.

I got ideas and rought drafts for one, but of course it serves no purpose to just post and rant about them here. lol

But yea, Rebooting or just ignoring what has happened thus far has got to be the worst idea ever for this franchise. A studio doesn't take one of their highest rated trilogies and just reboot it for no reason. This trilogy has been soooo successful for so many reasons. No way does it deserve a reboot. It deserves another sequel to add to the collection.

the a1ant 07-24-2007 11:31 AM

Re: Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperT (Post 12261076)
But yea, Rebooting or just ignoring what has happened thus far has got to be the worst idea ever for this franchise. A studio doesn't take one of their highest rated trilogies and just reboot it for no reason. This trilogy has been soooo successful for so many reasons. No way does it deserve a reboot. It deserves another sequel to add to the collection.

I have to agree with that. The trilogy has been highly successful, so doing a reboot or ignoring X3 wouldn't make much sense. Now if they wait 15/20 years and decide to do an X-Men team film then, then yeah they can reboot and recast, etc - but not for anything in the near future.

taintedFB 07-24-2007 11:41 AM

Re: Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
I think if Wolverine and Magneto are not as successful as the team movies, FOX will start to approach the cast for an X4. I don't know how many would return. And I don't know who they'd want to return.

I don't think a movie of Logan and all the students would be much of a draw. They'll need at least a couple of the main cast like Cyclops, Storm, etc...

We'll see. I think I'll wait until the second weekend to see Wolverine, because the last thing we want is ANOTHER Wolverine trilogy!

I think a lot of the damage done in X3 is reversible, if they get good writers on board.

-The cure has already been hinted to be temporary (magneto)
- Cyclops never died on camera
- Xavier isn't really dead

I think Jean's storyline is done, though. It could have been played out better, but I think it's best to leave her dead.

So no to the Superman Returns Treatment, but YES to an X4!

union_jak 07-24-2007 12:41 PM

Re: Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
No to ignoring X3. X4 should just be bigger and better to make up for it, and I don't care how lame the excuses, I want all those Phoenix killed to return, and the Cure to be temporary.

Superman Returns only gets away with ignoring cos the last films were years ago.

Angamb 07-24-2007 02:16 PM

Re: Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by taintedFB (Post 12267131)
I think if Wolverine and Magneto are not as successful as the team movies, FOX will start to approach the cast for an X4. I don't know how many would return. And I don't know who they'd want to return.

I don't think a movie of Logan and all the students would be much of a draw. They'll need at least a couple of the main cast like Cyclops, Storm, etc...

We'll see. I think I'll wait until the second weekend to see Wolverine, because the last thing we want is ANOTHER Wolverine trilogy!

I think a lot of the damage done in X3 is reversible, if they get good writers on board.

-The cure has already been hinted to be temporary (magneto)
- Cyclops never died on camera
- Xavier isn't really dead

I think Jean's storyline is done, though. It could have been played out better, but I think it's best to leave her dead.

So no to the Superman Returns Treatment, but YES to an X4!

Totally agreed.

But do you see Logan as the main character again? didn't understand the Logan and students pary at all.

taintedFB 07-24-2007 04:09 PM

Re: Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
I was just saying if the other leads didn't return for the new movie, they wouldn't be able to make one with just Hugh Jackman, and Iceman, Angel, Kitty, etc...

They NEED Scott and Storm....

SuperT 07-24-2007 08:52 PM

Re: Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
Well, I don't think it'll be hard to get Storm back since Halle is pretty adamant about wanting to do another sequel. And I don't THINK it would be hard to get Marsden back w/ an expanded role.

KenK 07-24-2007 09:40 PM

Re: Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
Explain that Sinister had Cyclops under surveillance by Havoc, who saved him from Jean.

iamlegend 07-24-2007 10:39 PM

Re: Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
They do not need Scott, Storm, Rogue, or even Wolverine. With a good director (NOT RATNER), a good script writer, and the right basic story, they could easily film a movie that would eclipse the first three BY FAR without the four characters above.

The only people that need those four are fanboys or fangirls.

TwilightPro101 07-25-2007 12:30 AM

Re: Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
Just flat out go back to the early years. No Wolverine, no Rogue, etc. Just the main team from the old days.

iamlegend 07-25-2007 12:39 AM

Re: Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwilightPro101 (Post 12274564)
Just flat out go back to the early years. No Wolverine, no Rogue, etc. Just the main team from the old days.

Does no one understand that the old team was never very popular by itself? :huh:

spideyboy_1111 07-25-2007 12:50 AM

Re: Should X-MEN Duplicate what Superman Returns Did?
 
well in this case the "old team" would consist of..... Beast, Cyclops, Storm, Jean, and then another missing player... maybe emma? maybe Xavier himself? maybe Mystique even? or another person who's yet to have been in a movie


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com, A property of CraveOnline, a divison of AtomicOnline, LLC © 2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.