The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Iron Man (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=324)
-   -   Iron Man's Identity (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=295761)

JediMasterConor 02-12-2008 10:14 AM

Iron Man's Identity
 
So how will it work with who knows Stark is Iron Man? Will it only be Pepper, Hogan, Rhoades, and Stane? Or will the public know as well?

Figs 02-12-2008 10:49 AM

Re: Iron Man's Identity
 
The public better not know!

I trust Favreau wouldn't do something that stupid.

blk_spidey 02-12-2008 12:03 PM

Re: Iron Man's Identity
 
like raimi did with spidey in SM2

ChillcutZ 02-12-2008 01:53 PM

Re: Iron Man's Identity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by blk_spidey (Post 14045714)
like raimi did with spidey in SM2

Oooo dont remind me, i almost had a s#it fit when i saw that in theatres...and i can also guarantee that i ruined the end of that movie for just about anyone in earrange because of the lameness of the end.


But ya i hope they go the route of just his closest confidants knowing about his secret, would be lame if it was all over the place. go the classic 'ironman works for me' gimmick, always loved it in the comics and cartoons.

Rocker22 02-12-2008 02:50 PM

Re: Iron Man's Identity
 
The public will not know until some time many years from now after the avengers movie, when the do a Civil War movie.

blk_spidey 02-12-2008 04:14 PM

Re: Iron Man's Identity
 
sounds interesting! i always liked the marvel Civil War

BrollySupersj 02-12-2008 05:11 PM

Re: Iron Man's Identity
 
Most surely the public won't know who Iron-Man is, but in the comics, they'll know he's an employee of Stark Industries. Well, thats what I'm guessing.

Figs 02-12-2008 05:31 PM

Re: Iron Man's Identity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrollySupersj (Post 14048025)
Most surely the public won't know who Iron-Man is, but in the comics, they'll know he's an employee of Stark Industries. Well, thats what I'm guessing.


That's how I'm hoping they keep it in the film. Just keep him as an employee of Stark Industries/Stark's 'bodyguard'.

Weadazoid 02-12-2008 07:47 PM

Re: Iron Man's Identity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FigmanJ (Post 14048179)
That's how I'm hoping they keep it in the film. Just keep him as an employee of Stark Industries/Stark's 'bodyguard'.



yeah they can even pull out the stunt where Rhodey gets up in there to stand beside Stark in public

perfect public figure ploy pulled in the comics....at one point this helped Toney Protect his enterprise when Iron Man had to go Rouge...like in the Iron Wars deal...where Hammer stole and sold his tech.

Joker 02-27-2008 01:08 AM

Re: Iron Man's Identity
 
I wouldnt mind the public knowing, ala Ultimate Iron Man. The secret identity thing has really always seemed a non-issue with Iron Man to me anyway.

copywrite 02-27-2008 02:48 AM

Re: Iron Man's Identity
 
Apparently he addresses the issue in the movie about people suspecting that he's Iron Man.

Lord 08-13-2012 12:37 PM

Re: Iron Man's Identity
 
http://battlenations.com/wp-content/...cromancy25.jpg
Quote:

Originally Posted by Figs (Post 14045180)
The public better not know!

I trust Favreau wouldn't do something that stupid.

He did :woot:

Quote:

That's how I'm hoping they keep it in the film. Just keep him as an employee of Stark Industries/Stark's 'bodyguard'.
I'm glad they didn't go in that direction, while reading the old comics that's one of the things i find more annoying, and it took 40s years for a writer to finally make his identity public.

Figs 08-13-2012 02:13 PM

Re: Iron Man's Identity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord (Post 24134057)
He did :woot:

:funny:

pr0xyt0xin 08-13-2012 06:25 PM

Re: Iron Man's Identity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord (Post 24134057)
http://battlenations.com/wp-content/...cromancy25.jpg

He did :woot:



I'm glad they didn't go in that direction, while reading the old comics that's one of the things i find more annoying, and it took 40s years for a writer to finally make his identity public.

You just love practicing the dark art of thread necromancy, dont you?

Lord 08-14-2012 06:46 AM

Re: Iron Man's Identity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin (Post 24136633)
You just love practicing the dark art of thread necromancy, dont you?

You know me :awesome:

NewYorkSpider 11-14-2012 11:53 PM

Re: Iron Man's Identity
 
I didn't care they let the public know of his identity. It was certainly a surprise though.

BlueLightning 11-15-2012 11:03 AM

Re: Iron Man's Identity
 
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...etIdentity.jpg

kedrell 05-25-2013 08:38 PM

Re: Iron Man's Identity
 
^Priceless. :lmao:

This is one aspect of IM1 that always bugged me. I am ok with his identity being revealed eventually but I kinda wanted him to keep it secret for at least a couple movies. On the other hand, his whole bodyguard thing in the comics doesn't help much since even if nobody knows he's in the suit they all still know that Iron Man works for him. Peter Parker gets hunted down by villains just for being known as the guy who takes Spider-man's pictures. But Stark would actually get the blame for everything Iron Man does since he's his employer.

Still, having no secret ID does remove one of the more interesting aspects of Tony's dual nature: that being of how a lot of the public doesn't like him based on his history yet they all love Iron Man and the fact that they don't know they're the same person is an intriguing notion. The Extremis comic touched upon this. You have all the youth/lefty types out in front of Stark Industries protesting him since he's a defense contractor and the military is 'EVIL' in their eyes yet as soon as they see Iron Man flying away they cheer him. We can't explore any of that now without a reboot.

Red Mask 07-17-2013 07:48 AM

Re: Iron Man's Identity
 
Revealing he was Iron Man was a bold and brilliant move by Favreau. Tony Stark is none of the schmucks we have above. Going by everything Danny Fingeroth wrote in his book 'Superman on the Couch', Tony Stark has none of the traits that those guys have. He's not an orphan because he lost his parents when he was already a young adult. He was already recognised as a genius and became a flambouyant captain of industry. He's not an immigrant/refugee character like Superman. He doesn't have to hide his identity to fit in.

Another reason why it was better to reveal himself was because he is famous and controversial as a war profiteer. We no longer give complete trust to those in a higher social status or serve a religious institution, like priests. We no longer trust some people who operate the banks.

People who actually do the right and noble thing get crucified. We call them 'whisteblowers' or worse - snitches. (Personally I'd gladly snitch on anybody who's done wrong. You can flush that mafia family value crap to hell.) These are guys like Bradley Manning, who get put into prison although he leaked the info to Wikileaks. Guys like Snowden who get called 'traitor' by his own government, even when they're exposed for wrongdoings. Around the world reporters are getting killed by the criminals they report about and their societies can't protect them or avenge them.

So when a character like Tony Stark reveals himself to be a superhero, it brings a lot of faith back into humanity. In fact, humanity is probably why all those passengers in the train haven't revealed Peter Parker's identity back in Spider-Man 2. They were decent and appreciative enough to keep his identity secret.

Red Mask 07-17-2013 08:05 AM

Re: Iron Man's Identity
 
BTW: Tony still kept his girlfriend in the end. What do those schmucks have so far? Far less than Tony Stark.

Lord 07-17-2013 08:08 AM

Re: Iron Man's Identity
 
I think Iron Man and Thor having to be secret identities in the comics were some of the worst aspects of their comics, there's just no reason to do so besides going with the usual superhero schtick. Not to mention his whole "bodyguard" thing is kind of dumb and kind of obvious.

What Favreau did was also a briliant move to show that Iron Man was different, and to close the film itself.

Fans of Reilly 07-22-2013 06:44 PM

Re: Iron Man's Identity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord (Post 26375661)
I think Iron Man and Thor having to be secret identities in the comics were some of the worst aspects of their comics, there's just no reason to do so besides going with the usual superhero schtick. Not to mention his whole "bodyguard" thing is kind of dumb and kind of obvious.

What Favreau did was also a briliant move to show that Iron Man was different, and to close the film itself.

:jedi Come on man i like Donald Blake

Lord 07-28-2013 08:27 AM

Re: Iron Man's Identity
 
Meh, i just find him a little boring :p

I'm one of those that thinks Iron Man, Captain America and Thor work better without secret identities.

FrozenBanana00 08-08-2014 06:22 PM

Re: Iron Man's Identity
 
I just love Stark's impulsive attitude. He doesn't care people know. He's probably too excited about how epic it feels to be heroic, that he has to be a gossip queen and share it lol!

3dman27 08-21-2014 09:32 AM

Re: Iron Man's Identity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrozenBanana00 (Post 29497375)
I just love Stark's impulsive attitude. He doesn't care people know. He's probably too excited about how epic it feels to be heroic, that he has to be a gossip queen and share it lol!

I get your point, but wouldn't a secret ID help him some down time when he needs it ?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com, A property of CraveOnline, a divison of AtomicOnline, LLC © 2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.