The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Iron Man (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=324)
-   -   The Iron Monger thread....what did you think overall? (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=301767)

terry78 05-02-2008 09:41 PM

The Iron Monger thread....what did you think overall?

This isn't a thread about Stane himself, nor about the battle between him and IM, though if it involves it, knock yourself out. The Iron Monger armor itself, if you are familiar with the original book's versions, did it move how you envisioned, was it as threatening as you felt it was in the books, and basically, did they get most of it right design and animation-wise?

http://www.marvel.com/universe3zx/im...IronMonger.jpg

http://forevergeek.com/wp-content/up...ironmonger.jpg
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/ma...on_Man_200.jpg
http://www.fostorial.co.uk/hscustoms...ironmonger.jpg

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/reso...5010bce9_o.jpg

Knightsaber Priss 05-02-2008 09:43 PM

Re: The Iron Monger thread....what did you think overall?

All I can say is.....Iron Monger was a great villain at the end. I just love seeing he and Ironman smacking each other around. Perhaps Ezekiel Stane could take up the mantle and create his own Iron Monger suit to kill Tony Stark with for revenge of his father.

Symbiotic 05-02-2008 09:45 PM

I enjoyed the Monger.

RonStoppablefan 05-02-2008 09:50 PM

I personally thought they did a great job on both him and Iron man.

S.A.A.D. 05-02-2008 09:56 PM

I liked Iron Monger as well.

Symbiotic 05-02-2008 10:02 PM

Semi-related I suppose, but my theater laughed at Stane's line "Tony Stark built this in a cave!... with a pile of scraps!" I have the feeling that wasn't the intention of the line.

Knightsaber Priss 05-02-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Symbiotic (Post 14711893)
Semi-related I suppose, but my theater laughed at Stane's line "Tony Stark built this in a cave!... with a pile of scraps!" I have the feeling that wasn't the intention of the line.

I personally didn't laugh because clearly the look on Obadiah's face meant he was displeased with the lack of progress.

Valorman 05-02-2008 10:04 PM

i adored jeff bridges performance. this movie topped them all!

Symbiotic 05-02-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzilla2000 (Post 14711913)
I personally didn't laugh because clearly the look on Obadiah's face meant he was displeased with the lack of progress.

Nor did I for those same reasons.

Valorman 05-02-2008 10:08 PM

Also, his flight was spectacular. They really made me believe in the weight of the suit with how incredibly powerful his flight sequences looked.

Knightsaber Priss 05-02-2008 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valorman (Post 14711915)
i adored jeff bridges performance. this movie topped them all!

I think some props should go to Jeff Bridges for respectfully taking the role seriously. This is a man who shaved his head because he thought it would be a good thing to do since Stane was bald in the comic. And especially despite Favreau saying he didn't have to do it.

Kirk Langstrom 05-02-2008 10:09 PM

I thought it was excellent.

The Schlone 05-02-2008 10:33 PM

Quote:

My theater did the same thing. It kind of went over my head... I still don't get why it's funny...

Knightsaber Priss 05-02-2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Schlone (Post 14712050)
My theater did the same thing. It kind of went over my head... I still don't get why it's funny...

Maybe it's because we're comicbook fans. We've read these sorts of dialogues all before. Maybe people thought it was funny that Stane mentioned how Tony Stark created the Mark I with such meager resources.

cryptic name 05-02-2008 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Schlone (Post 14712050)

it was a funny line. stane's scientists thought it was impossible, but tony stark did it with spare parts in a cave. that's funny.

TNC9852002 05-03-2008 12:12 AM

lol. People always chuckled at that.

TONY STARK BUILT THIS IN A CAVE!!....WIT A BOX OF SCRAPS!!... :p

I thought Iron Monger looked good and was very faithful.

-TNC

MaJiN 05-03-2008 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cryptic name (Post 14712230)
it was a funny line. stane's scientists thought it was impossible, but tony stark did it with spare parts in a cave. that's funny.

That and Tony Stark had already gotten over with the audience. There was also a bit of an audience response when the scientist said "we're not Tony Stark".

A lil off topic but one thing that I thought was funny was a lot of the ladies in the audience said "awwww" when the arm machine retrieved Tony's old power source for him.

But anyway the Iron Monger was sick. Hey, who does he attack first? :cwink:

Awesome movie. Jon Favreau has my respect.
http://content.bt.com/distribution/b...Dragon_im1.jpg

The Caped Knight 05-03-2008 12:19 AM

Bridges owned as Iron Monger . I love his voice in the suit .

Raiden 05-03-2008 12:31 AM

Quote:

Well, Shane's scientists had all the resources at their disposal, and they could not compete against Stark who was imprisoned and used spare parts to make his armor. That's funny.

spiderfan970 05-03-2008 02:49 AM

Quote:

it was funny to me because he was so dramatic about it all of the sudden...after he said WITH A PILE OF SCRAPS, I said, IN A VAN, DOWN BY THE RIVER really loud. And that kind of sums up to my why that particular line was funny.

Knightsaber Priss 05-03-2008 06:56 AM

I just thought of this while reloading a few Sims 2 expansions on my PC, but I'm just wondering how long it's going to take until crafty individuals start dubbing over Jeff Bridges lines in the movie as Obadiah with memorable soundbytes from The Big Lebowski.

The Caped Knight 05-03-2008 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNC9852002 (Post 14712414)
lol. People always chuckled at that.

TONY STARK BUILT THIS IN A CAVE!!....WIT A BOX OF SCRAPS!!... :p

-TNC

It was a very funny line .

Doctor of Doom 05-03-2008 07:59 AM

Loved him. The suit felt REALLY powerful, even if it was very, very slow at flying. He moved pretty damn fast in it and I came away with a better impression of Iron Monger than the comics ever gave me- it felt like Tony was pretty seriously outclassed.

Captain Planet! 05-03-2008 08:18 AM

I liked the Iron Monger. My only complaint is that a few of his lines at the end were a little corny, like "I've made a few upgrades of my own!"

The Guard 05-03-2008 01:47 PM

Pretty thin villain. Bridges did a nice job with little to work with.