The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Man of Steel (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   Superman's power level (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=348727)

elgaz 02-18-2011 05:40 AM

Superman's power level
 
I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts on what Superman's power level should be in this new film.

As we all know, his power levels have differed vastly over the years, in all types of media. Silver-age Superman in some comics could move a planet, yet some other versions of Superman (Superman Returns for example) had him straining to control the weight of an aeroplane. There's a vast difference there.

But of course, that's just referencing raw strength. What about his other abilities?

  • How fast can he fly? In some versions he can surpass light speed, in others it's more like the speed of sound.
  • How powerful is his heat vision and super breath?
  • Can he survive in space? In some versions he can, in others he needed a suit for deep space travel.
  • How resistant is his body to injury? I've seen him survive a nuclear explosion unscathed in one comic, only for him to be stunned by a rocket from a helicopter in another.
Personally, I'd like to see a very powerful Superman. Whilst I'm all for 'humanising' him and not making him so powerful we can't relate ............. he is Superman after all; we expect him to be like a God, so why not take it to an extreme. He is the most iconic superhero of all, and widely revered as the most powerful. He can barely feel rounds of bullets pinging off his chest, so should a rocket be that much more damaging?

We also have a director in Zack Snyder who has a great flair for visual extravagance, and IMO that goes hand in hand with showcasing amazing powers.

Man of Steel 02-18-2011 06:21 AM

Re: Superman's power level
 
Unlimited power levels, but he never uses more than a fraction.

RoughNTumble 02-18-2011 06:26 AM

Re: Superman's power level
 
Just tone down his super speed when fighting enemies. I mean if he ever fully utilized his speed in a fight instead of just trading blows he would dominate every time. There would never be a challenge.

MoonChild 02-18-2011 06:40 AM

Re: Superman's power level
 
I would prefer the very powerful Superman too, as a major part of his character is his ability not to use his great power, but prefers to be an inspiration with his actions.

However, having said that, up against similar powered foes, don't hold back Zack, show us what he brings to the table.

Astrodust 02-18-2011 07:00 AM

Re: Superman's power level
 
I say get rid of his x-ray vision and super breath.
*runs and hides*

SuperDaniel 02-18-2011 07:09 AM

Re: Superman's power level
 
WTF? :rolleyes:

I think Byrne's power levels are fine. I don't want the ultra-powerful Superman of Silver Age that makes no sense.

GreenKToo 02-18-2011 07:49 AM

Re: Superman's power level
 
I want a really powerful superman, just not planet moving powerful..I mean does it really matter if his strength level is limited to an aircraft carrier or a mountain Vs a planet?..either way, most villains wouldn't stand a chance against him.

sf2 02-18-2011 08:56 AM

Re: Superman's power level
 
as powerful as possible!!!!
he is just withholding himself most of the time.

and i wanna see him tuning up and down his power as he wish.

LeMartien 02-18-2011 09:36 AM

Re: Superman's power level
 
Big powers but only if He concentrates him
A weapon could be thurt him in the back if he doesn't pay attention.
But his skin is invulnerable.

About peace on earth, superman and the war etc etc... I think governments got kryptonian weapons and in this way, Superman don't be able to stop war or anything. He keeps the human being in his own **** :)

sf2 02-18-2011 09:41 AM

Re: Superman's power level
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMartien (Post 19737544)
Big powers but only if He concentrates him
A weapon could be thurt him in the back if he doesn't pay attention.
But his skin is invulnerable.

About peace on earth, superman and the war etc etc... I think governments got kryptonian weapons and in this way, Superman don't be able to stop war or anything. He keeps the human being in his own **** :)

i love your idea of kryptonian weapons.:)

afan 02-18-2011 09:42 AM

Re: Superman's power level
 
I want a powerful Superman, but not an all powerful Superman. As Snyder hinted I am hoping for a physical Superman, physical meaning there are believable limits.....i.e.... He cannot be in Metropolis one moment and then in an instant be in Tokyo. He is very familiar in Metropolis and surrounding areas, but a bit of a legend in Tokyo.


Global exploits are possible but they should coincide with travel as Clark on assignment. He can respond globally where needed, but again where he is needed there is also a story worthy of Clark's attention also.

More powerful than a locomotive....
Faster than a speeding bullet......

Are fine with me as "more" and "faster" are not descriptively limiting, and they are familiar physical manifestations to me, but he is not "more powerful" or "faster" to the ludicrous (continent lifting, planet moving , light speeding, time traveling)extreme.

He needs to breath, he needs to eat. Survival unaided in the vaccum of space is possible for a time, as long as he can hold his breath, but for prolonged periods he needs artificial means, same for undersea forays.

It's not one power that makes him Superman. It's the combination of his powers. Strength actually plays a minor role in carrying planes etc. It has more to do with the propulsive force of his flight ability, and his invulnerability, preventing his propulsive force from squashing him against the structure he is moving.

...And...... despite Superman's presence in the world.....people die..... due to accidents, natural disasters, criminal activity, wars etc...... even in Metropolis. There is only so much a man can do....even a Superman!

DorkyFresh 02-18-2011 10:56 AM

Re: Superman's power level
 
his power level should be...



...OVER 9,000!!!!

Bruce_Begins 02-18-2011 11:11 AM

Re: Superman's power level
 
Get rid of powers levels as shown in Superman 2, In Superman Returns his powers levels were just correct, keep them as such.

Superman Prime 02-18-2011 11:12 AM

Re: Superman's power level
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DorkyFresh (Post 19737933)
his power level should be...



...OVER 9,000!!!!

It took somewhat longer than I expected for this to show up.

Superman Prime 02-18-2011 11:13 AM

Re: Superman's power level
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperDaniel (Post 19737170)
WTF? :rolleyes:

I think Byrne's power levels are fine. I don't want the ultra-powerful Superman of Silver Age that makes no sense.

Like when Superboy pulled a bunch of planets through space with a chain.

Bruce_Begins 02-18-2011 11:16 AM

Re: Superman's power level
 
More important question would be - lets clearly define how much damage Green Kryptonite can do to Superman. It has never been consistent, in Donner movies (STM, S2) it makes him weak and turns him into jelly, in SR it poisoned him and weakened him so that he could be hurt.

The Sage 02-18-2011 11:21 AM

Re: Superman's power level
 
Very powerful, beyond Byrne's levels. He should be able to go toe to toe with Darkseid. Moving at just under the speed of light is fine too. Play up the fact that he's spent his lifetime mastering control of his abilities so he wouldn't hurt the people around him. Have him lightly punch a villain in the face and be able to knock him unconscious to show off his strength.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DorkyFresh (Post 19737933)
his power level should be...



...OVER 9,000!!!!

What, 9,000! There's now way that can be right, can it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins (Post 19738050)
More important question would be - lets clearly define how much damage Green Kryptonite can do to Superman. It has never been consistent, in Donner movies (STM, S2) it makes him weak and turns him into jelly, in SR it poisoned him and weakened him so that he could be hurt.

Weakens him, long term exposure kills him. It's a poison and it drives out the yellow solar energy in his body.

Superman Prime 02-18-2011 11:22 AM

Re: Superman's power level
 
Quote:

More important question would be - lets clearly define how much damage Green Kryptonite can do to Superman. It has never been consistent, in Donner movies (STM, S2) it makes him weak and turns him into jelly, in SR it poisoned him and weakened him so that he could be hurt.
Now this is going to be controversial, but it's a thought I've had a long time to think about.

1. Kryptonite was created back when Superman lacked challenging enemies to fight. These days, he has more than enough challenging enemies of equal or greater power.

2. It's too easy and obvious of a plot device. You want to look me in the eyes and disagree?

3. It's a single aspect of the mythos. Superman as a character can exist independently from kryptonite.

Get rid of it. Do away with kryptonite.

Lead Cenobite 02-18-2011 11:47 AM

Re: Superman's power level
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperDaniel (Post 19737170)
WTF? :rolleyes:

I think Byrne's power levels are fine. I don't want the ultra-powerful Superman of Silver Age that makes no sense.

I don't want Silver Age levels either, but why Byrne? He can be more powerful than that without it being ridiculous.

Think of the episode of Lois and Clark with the asteroid. I liked that even Superman was taken aback at the government asking him to try and stop it. He wasn't sure, but he was still able to destroy it, and then later toss a 3 mile wide remnant away from Earth. So I guess what I want is for him to be able to stop an asteroid at his strongest and with lots of effort.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superman Prime (Post 19738112)
Now this is going to be controversial, but it's a thought I've had a long time to think about.

1. Kryptonite was created back when Superman lacked challenging enemies to fight. These days, he has more than enough challenging enemies of equal or greater power.

2. It's too easy and obvious of a plot device. You want to look me in the eyes and disagree?

3. It's a single aspect of the mythos. Superman as a character can exist independently from kryptonite.

Get rid of it. Do away with kryptonite.

It doesn't have to be easy if it's hard to come by. Besides, it's the quintessential superhero Achilles's Heel, it should be properly represented eventually if this becomes a series.

afan 02-18-2011 11:51 AM

Re: Superman's power level
 
Re. Superman's achilles heal....
There have been many iterations.....

My preference.....
1. There is only green Kryptonite.
2. It is extremely rare on Earth.
3. It immediately incapacitates Superman with severe weakness. Making it impossible for him to use any active power, but it does not strip him of his powers. He is still invulnerable. Prolonged exposure results in death.
4. Lead shields it.

This discussion should also involve magic........

My preference......
1. Superman is not vulnerable to a person or weapon that is generically magic, he is vulnerable only to the specific nature of the enchantment.....i.e. .... a singing sword will not cut Superman.....a sword enchanted to cut anything and everything that physically exists.... will.

Therefore Captain Marvel has no advantage over Superman merely because his powers are magical in nature.

GammaAzazel 02-18-2011 01:34 PM

Re: Superman's power level
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by afan (Post 19738302)
Re. Superman's achilles heal....
There have been many iterations.....

My preference.....
1. There is only green Kryptonite.
2. It is extremely rare on Earth.
3. It immediately incapacitates Superman with severe weakness. Making it impossible for him to use any active power, but it does not strip him of his powers. He is still invulnerable. Prolonged exposure results in death.
4. Lead shields it.

This discussion should also involve magic........

My preference......
1. Superman is not vulnerable to a person or weapon that is generically magic, he is vulnerable only to the specific nature of the enchantment.....i.e. .... a singing sword will not cut Superman.....a sword enchanted to cut anything and everything that physically exists.... will.

Therefore Captain Marvel has no advantage over Superman merely because his powers are magical in nature.

See, I'm glad someone actually brought magic into this, that makes me happy, and what about the countless enemies that are just as strong as superman? I'm tired of people bringing supes down. have someone go toe to toe with superman with no "handicap" on supes part.

GhostPoet 02-18-2011 01:39 PM

Re: Superman's power level
 
When he punches a Brainiac construct, it should smash. He should be able to rip them in half with his bare hands. If he punches Brainiac at full strength it should cause windows to shatter.

Lead Cenobite 02-18-2011 02:13 PM

Re: Superman's power level
 
A Brainac construct, like a drone or Brainiac's actual body?

GhostPoet 02-18-2011 02:14 PM

Re: Superman's power level
 
A drone
If he punches Brainiac's actualy body, that would be the fit that causes a shockwave to shatter windows and shake cars...when he punches him HARD. :)

Diamondhead 02-18-2011 02:17 PM

Re: Superman's power level
 
as it should be
a Godlike Superman


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com, A property of CraveOnline, a divison of AtomicOnline, LLC © 2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.