The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Books and Music (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=431)
-   -   A Song of Ice and Fire books (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=353715)

Buford The Sly 05-12-2011 11:04 AM

A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
By popular demand, this thread is for the books only the show has it's own Game of Thrones thread under Television. I would still use spoiler tags for the people who haven't finished A Feast for Crows yet.

ChickenScratch 05-12-2011 11:25 AM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Cool, I'm here too now. I would have found a way to slip GRRM into the title of the thread though. LOL, look at me, always complaining.

Buford The Sly 05-12-2011 11:53 AM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
So any theories on Dance? I'm guessing it's going to be bloody for the Greyjoys and Tyrells.

ChickenScratch 05-12-2011 02:03 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Well we have all that action going on up by the Wall with the Red Lady and the king in her thrall. They have troops moving north by land and sea so they will probably take and garrison Winterfell. The Greyjoys are going to be destroyed there in that push north. Surviving Greyjoy troops will most likely be given the choice of death or the Wall so that will bolster their numbers even more.

As for the Tyrells, I haven't a guess.

After I finish the book I'm reading I have to go back and reread the series. When the show started I just revisited the first book.

Buford The Sly 05-12-2011 02:37 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
I'm thinking Dany will Land in Dorne by the end of the book. At least I hope. I think Dorne will be Dany's best Westeros ally.

BlackLantern 05-12-2011 08:36 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
maybe...anyone kind of cheering for her to take the throne?

ChickenScratch 05-12-2011 08:42 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Only her own people and malcontents. But with Westeros now 7 separate warring kingdoms and all that's going on in the north, she could easily sweep in and win hearts ... especially with the dragons.

Marvolo 05-12-2011 11:40 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Just finished the first book and wow! So far Tyrion is my favorite character, and I look forward to his chapters the most. All the Lannisters except him can die bloody for all I care. Sneaky conniving lot the bunch of em, and Joffrey getting pitched off a tower would make me happy lol. I will be giving my thoughts on the second book as I read it. Should take me about a week. Im hoping to have the first 4 done in a month. I'm on page 78 now and when Tyrion showed up at court it was a great moment. Cersei was pissed lol.

Buford The Sly 05-13-2011 10:09 AM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvolo (Post 20316525)
Just finished the first book and wow! So far Tyrion is my favorite character, and I look forward to his chapters the most. All the Lannisters except him can die bloody for all I care. Sneaky conniving lot the bunch of em, and Joffrey getting pitched off a tower would make me happy lol. I will be giving my thoughts on the second book as I read it. Should take me about a week. Im hoping to have the first 4 done in a month. I'm on page 78 now and when Tyrion showed up at court it was a great moment. Cersei was pissed lol.

A Clash of Kings is Tyrion's book so you should really enjoy that one. He has some really great moments in A Storm of Swords too.

Buford The Sly 05-13-2011 10:14 AM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenScratch (Post 20314465)
Only her own people and malcontents. But with Westeros now 7 separate warring kingdoms and all that's going on in the north, she could easily sweep in and win hearts ... especially with the dragons.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Once the Others bring down the wall, I think everyone will rally around the Dragons. I've read an interesting theory that Bran is shaping up to be the big baddie of the series. Now that would be an interesting twist.

ChickenScratch 05-13-2011 02:03 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Bran huh? That's interesting since he is heading north for some reason with Hodor and those kids. Or maybe he's being drawn to something Bran The Builder left there for him to make him whole again and Bond him permanently with the wall.

BlackLantern 05-13-2011 06:54 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Robert has other bastards out there, why is Gendry so important?...is he the only male bastard, maybe its about who his mother is?

Crockett 05-14-2011 11:10 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
After much delayed I finally bought A Feast For Crows (UK paperback cover) yesterday and I'm currently reading it now.

Buford The Sly 05-16-2011 11:47 AM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenScratch (Post 20320281)
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Bran huh? That's interesting since he is heading north for some reason with Hodor and those kids. Or maybe he's being drawn to something Bran The Builder left there for him to make him whole again and Bond him permanently with the wall.

The theory I read was pretty well though out too. I'll post a link to it if I run across it again.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
It had to do with mind control traditionally being an "evil" power throughout fantasy books. Also the fact them Jojen is constantly trying to reign Bran in with his Warging. Old Nan saying not to trust crows "they're all lyers."

Buford The Sly 05-16-2011 11:52 AM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackLantern (Post 20323197)
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Robert has other bastards out there, why is Gendry so important?...is he the only male bastard, maybe its about who his mother is?

Robert has 16 bastards in all I believe. Cersei is was after Gendry because he was found out about that's all.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
There's Edric Storm who Melisandre is always wanting to burn because he has King's blood. The seed is strong means that all the bastards have dark hair and blue eyes.

ChickenScratch 05-16-2011 12:55 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buford The Sly (Post 20343649)
Robert has 16 bastards in all I believe. Cersei is was after Gendry because he was found out about that's all.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
There's Edric Storm who Melisandre is always wanting to burn because he has King's blood. The seed is strong means that all the bastards have dark hair and blue eyes.

Gendry if the focus because he's the one in Kings Landing, right under her nose. I also think that Ned's interest in him is a bit more than the love for a best friend's (almost brother in law) kid. I think judging from Gendry's relationship with Arya, they get along like siblings, like Jon and her. I think Gendry and Jon have either the same mother (if it's not been disprove) or their mothers were sisters.

Also, I don't take that whole Bran thing to heart. There are no outright heroes or villains, Septas and Maesters are often superstitious. Fear of the 3 eyed crow, fear of winter, way I see it is Bran is the first to unlock those powers in a long time and he is a Stark so he will probably take the wall since he can't be lord of Winterfell.

Buford The Sly 05-16-2011 02:53 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenScratch (Post 20344139)
Gendry if the focus because he's the one in Kings Landing, right under her nose. I also think that Ned's interest in him is a bit more than the love for a best friend's (almost brother in law) kid. I think judging from Gendry's relationship with Arya, they get along like siblings, like Jon and her. I think Gendry and Jon have either the same mother (if it's not been disprove) or their mothers were sisters.

Also, I don't take that whole Bran thing to heart. There are no outright heroes or villains, Septas and Maesters are often superstitious. Fear of the 3 eyed crow, fear of winter, way I see it is Bran is the first to unlock those powers in a long time and he is a Stark so he will probably take the wall since he can't be lord of Winterfell.

Well Bran could certainly Warg the Dragons at a certain point in the future. The whole Euron Greyjoy's Valayrian Dragon horn is certainly a monkeywrench in Dany's plan.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I can see one, if not all three Dragons, not making it to the end.

Colossal Spoons 05-16-2011 09:23 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
What book does the Red Wedding go down in?

ChickenScratch 05-16-2011 09:42 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
You should know that one.

BlackLantern 05-16-2011 09:43 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
A Storm of Swords - Book 3

Colossal Spoons 05-16-2011 09:54 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenScratch (Post 20349067)
You should know that one.

Ha, only just started book 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackLantern (Post 20349071)
A Storm of Swords - Book 3

Word, I got a ways to go.

ChickenScratch 05-16-2011 11:24 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Oh, I thought you were further along.

Did anyone see someone in the other thread speculating about Ned and Jamie and what happens to them at the end of the season? Wrong, but it's interesting to see what people think will happen. I guess they don't get yet that no one is safe.

Buford The Sly 05-17-2011 08:52 AM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenScratch (Post 20350117)
Oh, I thought you were further along.

Did anyone see someone in the other thread speculating about Ned and Jamie and what happens to them at the end of the season? Wrong, but it's interesting to see what people think will happen. I guess they don't get yet that no one is safe.

It's bittersweet for sure. That's what I like about GRRM you get closure on some threads but it's almost always in a way you don't expect.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
King in the North and Dragons will be great.

Paroxysm 05-17-2011 03:27 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
I'm 360 pages into the first book and love it.

Ahura Mazda 05-19-2011 09:06 AM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books
 
When is the new one due to be out. It seems like forever.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com, A property of CraveOnline, a divison of AtomicOnline, LLC © 2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.