The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Marvel Films (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   James Cameron's Spider-Man (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=368833)

mercureyx 10-12-2011 01:19 AM

James Cameron's Spider-Man

Would you have wanted to see it? Anyone read the scriptment?

Did a poster here:

http://glowinggaslight.blogspot.com/...s-cameron.html

Seems like it could have been interesting...

Tel 10-12-2011 09:16 AM

Re: James Cameron's Spider-Man

read the scriptment thought it was utter garbage, thank the lord it never got made

Airwings 10-12-2011 11:48 AM

I think the DiCaprio connection came around the time of Titanic.
When he first started the project, back in 1991, wasn't Michael Biehn his first choice for the lead?

cloverfan98 10-12-2011 12:25 PM

Can somene post the script here please? I'd really appreciate it!

jacobed 10-12-2011 12:59 PM

Cameron's script was god awful it was almost as worse than Aronofsky's Batman which had a black Alfred who was a mechanic.

venom892 10-12-2011 04:16 PM

Yea this would have been a disaster.Thank god we got what we did.

Lord 10-12-2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobed (Post 21641877)
Cameron's script was god awful it was almost as worse than Aronofsky's Batman which had a black Alfred who was a mechanic.

What, didn't you like big Al? :woot:

MucasMan 10-12-2011 04:48 PM

As I posted in another thread, Cameron should do an "Avator" like reboot of "The Wizard of Oz." He should do it with CGI Tin man, Scarecrow, and Lion, but as a non-musical - more like in the "Harry Potter" vain.

Red Mask 10-12-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercureyx (Post 21639481)
Would you have wanted to see it? Anyone read the scriptment?

No. I like the more campy feel of Raimi's Spider-Man.

bubbadoom 10-12-2011 09:04 PM

Arnold would have made a good Sand Man!

Tacit Ronin 10-12-2011 09:18 PM

Aronofsky's script still kept the essence Batman's character.

ThePowerCosmic 10-12-2011 10:08 PM

Cameron knows how to do great action, but the script sucked.

Spider-Fan 10-12-2011 11:56 PM

This was about on par with the Superman Lives! script. THAT was garbage. Brainiac kidnapped Lois to make her his wife and she was pregnant with Superman's baby :dry:

Team Andino 10-13-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider-Fan (Post 21646783)
This was about on par with the Superman Lives! script. THAT was garbage. Brainiac kidnapped Lois to make her his wife and she was pregnant with Superman's baby :dry:

Reading things like that make me go crazy wondering who's working on these scripts or letting them get anywhere near being shot.

Gold Samurai 10-13-2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobed (Post 21641877)

I remember Bruce as a kid beating other kids up. Bruce had a ring with a "W"

That caused him to use bat's as an inspiration

Team Andino 10-13-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold Samurai (Post 21649277)
I remember Bruce as a kid beating other kids up. Bruce had a ring with a "W"

That caused him to use bat's as an inspiration

Wait, WHAT?!:huh:

Scarlet Spider 10-13-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airwings (Post 21641325)
I think the DiCaprio connection came around the time of Titanic.
When he first started the project, back in 1991, wasn't Michael Biehn his first choice for the lead?

DiCaprio was the only actor Cameron has ever mentioned, that he wanted in the role of Peter Parker. They even had discussions about it on the set of Titanic.

Biehn has never been mentioned in any official capacity. He would have been well into his forties and way too old to play a high school kid. He would have made a great Cyclops though, if an X-Men film was made in the 90's. :awesome:

Here's an old Cameron interview from '97 where he talks about Spider-Man and confirms DiCaprio:

(0:40-1:30)

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Also, another interview from Comic-Con 2009:

http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/422...tml#id=1617196

Godzilla2014 10-13-2011 02:47 PM

Isn't this the script with the radioactive flies?

Spider-Who? 10-16-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloverfan98 (Post 21641589)
Can somene post the script here please? I'd really appreciate it!

There's a couple drafts floating around, but here's the one I read several years ago (before Raimi's first film was even announced):

http://www.teako170.com/cameron.html

Chris Wallace 10-16-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tel (Post 21640587)
read the scriptment thought it was utter garbage, thank the lord it never got made

Agreed.

Spider-Who? 10-17-2011 11:36 AM

I liked aspects of it.

Kevin Roegele 10-17-2011 01:43 PM

Cameron's scriptment was the foundation for the 2002 Raimi movie.

I am a fan of the Raimi flicks which I have seen many times - but I would gladly trade all three of the existing Spidey movies for a James Cameron Spider-Man movie. I mean, come on. This is the guy who did Aliens, who did Terminator, who did the best action movie ever in Terminator 2. James Cameron doing Spider-Man would KICK ASS. His scriptment was simply a 52-page outline, the studio would have forced him to take out the sex/swearing etc, he'd refine it, it would have been fantastic. I've been banging this drum since Spider-Man Hype! started in 1998, man.

Chris Wallace 10-17-2011 01:57 PM

The sex & swearing weren't the only problems, though indicative that he didn't understand the character or know what he was doing. The poorly developed villains, Peter picking a fight with Flash AFTER getting used to his powers, Uncle Ben's killer getting off scot free, undue emphasis on the nature of his organic webing, which was one of THE most controversial plot devices of the Raimi movies-there was nothing I liked about it. And just because a director does well with one property doesn't mean he can handle another. I refer you to Superman Returns, the ONLY Bryan Singer movie I have ever hated.

jaymes_e06 10-17-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MucasMan (Post 21643431)
As I posted in another thread, Cameron should do an "Avator" like reboot of "The Wizard of Oz." He should do it with CGI Tin man, Scarecrow, and Lion, but as a non-musical - more like in the "Harry Potter" vain.

They pretty much already made this movie... It's called Tin Man.:dry:

Airwings 10-17-2011 02:15 PM

Of course the film would have been different from the script. One can't just read pages without any pictures and try to understand what kind of vision Cameron had.
He would have made an impressive action blockbuster. Not like the comic book, but still a great cinema experience.

And back in 1991, I don't think Cameron wanted DiCaprio for the lead. Biehn would have been involved in some way, I am sure of it. Maybe not the lead, but the villain.