The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=619)
-   -   Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2 (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=371441)

Gabe99 11-16-2011 01:52 AM

Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
Movie Newz Exclusive: September 21, 2011:
Michael Cerveris Up For Superman’s Lex Luthor
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Villoch
Character actor Michael Cerveris, best known for playing The Observer on the FOX television show ‘Fringe’, can be added to the list of names being considered for the role of Superman’s arch-nemeses Lex Luthor, however, the self-proclaimed “Greatest criminal mind of our time” wont likely appear until the Man of Steel follow-up.

Director Zack Snyder is obviously a big fan of J.J. Abrams sci-fi series, Snyder used ‘Fringe’s Casting Director Michelle Allen to cast Man of Steel and Sucker Punch in Vancouver, Canada. Currently in production under the title “Autumn Frost,” ‘Man of Steel’ will film in the Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island from late September through to the end of January 2012.


Gabe99 11-16-2011 01:52 AM

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
From THINK McFLY THINK:
Exclusive: WB Already in Sequel Mode for The Man of Steel

mclay18 11-16-2011 10:54 AM

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe99 (Post 21870213)

MOS is sure going through a LOT of writers: first Goyer & Nolan's treatment, then Goyer's drafts and rewrites by Jonah Nolan, Kurt Johnstad and now the Mulroneys.

Hopefully this means the film will be solid and not a clusterf**k.

FilmNerdJamie 11-17-2011 11:09 AM

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mclay18 (Post 21871417)
MOS is sure going through a LOT of writers: first Goyer & Nolan's treatment, then Goyer's drafts and rewrites by Jonah Nolan, Kurt Johnstad and now the Mulroneys.

Hopefully this means the film will be solid and not a clusterf**k.

That's not an uncommon thing for these big movies.

It's the norm to have multiple writers take a stab. Some take broad-strokes going over the whole script or focusing on just the action, just the dialogue or literally just one scene. Before, during and after production. Certain actors have it in their deal their personal writer gets to punch up all their stuff such as Russell Crowe...on The Man of Steel.

Best example for reference is Kevin Smith telling his Die Hard 4 story (Since it has excessive swearing, I can't post the YouTube video or link to it here. AKA: don't anyone be smart-ass and throw it up anyway - just look it up yourself). He name-dropped himself, Len Wiseman, Bruce Willis, Skip Woods and William Wisher as having written it on set and there's only 2 writers "officially" listed as per the WGA. Neither of them the writers Smith mentioned.

There was also that recent stuff over X-Men: First Class and who did and didn't get credited. You know where all the "Erik Lensherr: Nazi Killer" stuff (widely regarded as the best part of the movie) came from? David Goyer's unmade Magneto script.

Elements from the unmade Superman Returns sequel, as written by Michael Dougherty and Bryan, are being used. So technically they're writers on The Man of Steel.

Not a good thing, not a bad thing. Meets with good results sometimes and bad results at others. Just the uncertainty and craziness of the movie-making process. It is what it is. Same exact thing as re-shoots. Just don't understand why people freak out every time a movie goes through additional photography after the fact or burns through writers.

mclay18 11-18-2011 09:45 AM

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
I'm not freaking out. It's just odd... why not keep the same writers on the set? I mean, if Jonah Nolan and Kurt Johnstad rescued the movie's third act...

And it's very interesting you say MOS will use elements of the unmade SR sequel. I also find it interesting that personal actors (like Crowe) brought in their own writers to punch up their dialogue.

You learn something new everyday. Not trashing reshoots either, the Rise of the Apes reshot ending was excellent.

FilmNerdJamie 11-18-2011 09:52 AM

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
You are not freaking out, no. Didn't mean to say/imply you were.

But there's this overall mentality towards "re-shoots/rewrites = trouble" that plain isn't true. Not a fore conclusion that a production is screwed. That's all.

batman44 11-18-2011 11:54 PM

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
Interesting about the the whole writer stuff, especially that some of SR sequel stuff being used for MOS, but I shouldn't be surprised as SR used stuff from JJ Abram's script.

Do you think Snyder would be brought back for the sequel if MOS is a success.

FilmNerdJamie 11-19-2011 08:40 PM

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by batman44 (Post 21889905)
Do you think Snyder would be brought back for the sequel if MOS is a success.

Bigger question, for me, is would Snyder want to come back.

El Payaso 11-20-2011 12:30 AM

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
I'm sorry, you're asking what would happen if MoS were a success? If Snyder would be brought back or if he would want to be back? I'm sure I'm missing something because if the movie's a success, how could he not?

Hypestyle 11-20-2011 07:56 PM

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
hopefully Lex won't be seen until 'part 3'.. give the spotlight to other villains.. brainiac, metallo, parasite, mxyzptlk, darkseid, mongol, toyman, i'd even accept Titano..

Dozerman 11-21-2011 12:16 AM

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
I really don't know why we have to see lex at all in any of the movies if were movin on move on

mclay18 11-21-2011 12:33 AM

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Payaso (Post 21897675)
I'm sorry, you're asking what would happen if MoS were a success? If Snyder would be brought back or if he would want to be back? I'm sure I'm missing something because if the movie's a success, how could he not?

Snyder's resume is short, but so far he hasn't directed any sequels/prequels to any of the films he's directed (that 300 prequel is getting a different director). Perhaps he doesn't want to do sequels unless there's a good story behind it and if he had a good time making MOS.

That's a question someone should pose to Snyder for his next interview...

El Payaso 11-21-2011 12:57 PM

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mclay18 (Post 21904293)
Snyder's resume is short, but so far he hasn't directed any sequels/prequels to any of the films he's directed (that 300 prequel is getting a different director). Perhaps he doesn't want to do sequels unless there's a good story behind it and if he had a good time making MOS.

That's a question someone should pose to Snyder for his next interview...

Ah, nobody wants to make sequels and then they do because the next check is just way too big. Nolan hadn't directed sequels before TDK. And Burton, oh he was so adamant to direct a bat-sequel, that second parts were never good, etc.

I say that presicely because Snyder's resumee is not that biog, he won't doubt before signing for a sequel. If the movie's a sucess. And I dare to say that if the movie's a moderate success he will anyways.

EtherMagic 12-22-2011 05:46 AM

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
^^^

Agree with that.


Question for me is, what does MOS have to make to be considered a success?


I'd put Success in the $500-$600 Million range (considering it's the 1st of the reboot), Moderate Success between $450-$500 Million, and a huge success anywhere above $700 million.


All this of-course considering the magnitude and anticipation surrounding the movie, and obviously whats expected out of it.


.

HighFivingMF 12-29-2011 08:21 PM

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
He was going to do the 300 sequel but got busy with Man of Steel and had to drop it.

HighFivingMF 12-30-2011 09:45 AM

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KalMart (Post 22208247)
But...they all died, basically! :D

Did Miller do a follow-up comic? Not that it's needed, but just curious.

I think Miller started writing one, not sure if it's out. They're already working on the adaptation though. It's supposed to be about Eva Green's character using her beauty to start wars she doesn't actually participate in. I think Xerxes is the link between the two and it's a prequel.

El Payaso 12-30-2011 10:53 AM

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KalMart (Post 22198095)
All his movie's until now have pretty much been one-off stories too, no?

Yeah................................ so?

HighFivingMF 12-30-2011 05:14 PM

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KalMart (Post 22211483)
Eva Green? Do you mean Leonidas' wife played by Lena Headley and they're doing an earlier/younger version, or did they actually start development and casting for a 300 sequel/preq with Green as Helen Of Troy and such?

She's supposed to be playing someone named Artemisia.

Lead Cenobite 12-31-2011 12:22 AM

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dozerman (Post 21904197)
I really don't know why we have to see lex at all in any of the movies if were movin on move on

You can get plenty of story out of a single villain, and even I'll admit the movies haven't made the best use of him. There's Superman, but Lex is somewhat marred by the comedic sidekicks, he's only a supporting villain in II, he's a bit closer to the comics version in IV but that's wasted on a bad movie, and his plan in Returns is just ridiculous.

If the villain is someone like Bizarro, Metallo, or Parasite, you can easily work him in as the one pulling the strings, or even the one who created them.

Gabe99 01-04-2012 04:45 AM

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
Warning: This article contains spoilers that some readers may prefer to avoid.
Superman: The Man of Steel (2013): Rumor: Bradley Cooper Is Lex Luthor

DrCosmic 01-17-2012 10:36 PM

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
I think if they make Lex the villain, they need to make the story epic, to cement his awesomeness as a villain. A typical hero plot isn't worthy of a cool powerful Superman. It needs to be, like Moriarity/Joker-level.

Axl Van Sixx 01-24-2012 12:51 AM

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrCosmic (Post 22327857)
I think if they make Lex the villain, they need to make the story epic, to cement his awesomeness as a villain. A typical hero plot isn't worthy of a cool powerful Superman. It needs to be, like Moriarity/Joker-level.

Exactly. Lex is Superman's arch-nemesis and just like every Batman series needs to feature the Joker at some point, sooner or later Supes has to take on Lex.

Of course, the fact that the character was so overused in the previous movies makes it understandable why he wouldn't make an appearance in MOS. But I think he should be featured in the sequel, either pulling the strings with Metallo (as in TAS) or Parasite, or as a key player in a plot involving Brainiac.

SpideyFan866 01-24-2012 09:41 AM

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx (Post 22367903)
Exactly. Lex is Superman's arch-nemesis and just like every Batman series needs to feature the Joker at some point, sooner or later Supes has to take on Lex.

Of course, the fact that the character was so overused in the previous movies makes it understandable why he wouldn't make an appearance in MOS. But I think he should be featured in the sequel, either pulling the strings with Metallo (as in TAS) or Parasite, or as a key player in a plot involving Brainiac.

Agreed. I would love to see Lex used in a capacity similar to howw he was in Superman: Birthright.

Tobias 02-01-2012 07:46 PM

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EtherMagic (Post 22162209)
^^^

Agree with that.


Question for me is, what does MOS have to make to be considered a success?


I'd put Success in the $500-$600 Million range (considering it's the 1st of the reboot), Moderate Success between $450-$500 Million, and a huge success anywhere above $700 million.


All this of-course considering the magnitude and anticipation surrounding the movie, and obviously whats expected out of it.


.


As I remember WB was looking for Superman Returns to make around 500 million. It was a reboot and so is MOS. My guess then is that WB is looking for 500 million before it will OK an MOS sequel.

However, the rights issue are a cloud over all this. Right now it's not going WB's way so if they lose the rights next year no matter how much MOS makes they won't be able to make a sequel.

It's probably prudent to wait until a resolution of the legal issues before speculating on possible future films.

EtherMagic 02-01-2012 11:55 PM

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobias (Post 22419785)
As I remember WB was looking for Superman Returns to make around 500 million. It was a reboot and so is MOS. My guess then is that WB is looking for 500 million before it will OK an MOS sequel.

However, the rights issue are a cloud over all this. Right now it's not going WB's way so if they lose the rights next year no matter how much MOS makes they won't be able to make a sequel.

It's probably prudent to wait until a resolution of the legal issues before speculating on possible future films.


Personally after going back a reading over the lawsuit, I am with WB. Siegel and Shuster SOLD the rights to the Superman character, now years later the family's, who did nothing to create the Character, want a piece of the pie? In this case the Colonel's family of KFC fame should sue KFC because KFC was so much more successful after he sold it? Yea, ok. It's bull, but WB should just pay up as the Courts ruled. I don't see what gives the Siegel and Shuster estates any kinda rights to receive any rights back come 2013? That Marc Toberoff guy representing S & S estates needs a good boot where the sun don't shine, I really hope he gets whats coming his way.


I'm sure if MOS makes enough money for WB, they should be able to take that profit and use it at the table to settle these "rights" issue's.


Somethings gotta give, I just hope all this is cleared up within the next 2 yrs, that's more then enough time to make something happen.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com, A property of CraveOnline, a divison of AtomicOnline, LLC © 2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.