The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Misc. Comics (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Mark Millar & Frank Quitely: Jupiter's Children (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=375743)

Drz 01-12-2012 07:58 AM

Mark Millar & Frank Quitely: Jupiter's Children

Mark Millar & Frank Quitely: Jupiter's Children!

Whats it about?:
Quote:

“It opens in France in the 1920s, which immediately for a superhero story is a very different location. We start on a bunch of explorers kind of like that opening from ‘King Kong,’ which I love, and they’re doing an exploration of the ancient world – these rich Americans who have put together an expedition to find something you’ll hear about in the story. From those first few pages, and a doomed expedition, we cut to the present day, and they came home from that trip altered and with a plan to save the American idea. In historical context, the Russian revolution is relatively recent and Europe is in a state of turmoil and they’re just on the cusp of the Wall Street Crash so they’ve gone on this trip to try and save America and then we cut to their utterly useless, meandering children in the present day essentially squandering their inheritance. It’s not crass and celebrity focused, although it touches on that stuff. It’s more Shakespearean, with the last of the old heroes, a King Lear figure, watching these teenagers and twenty-something with no altruism whatsoever. There’s a massive regret in his eyes as he looks around at the world he’s leaving behind, very much the world we see today with the Euro-zone collapse and industrial decline and six billion people worried about the future, he feels the children and grand-children of he and his friends just aren’t up to the job. But this is just the starting point. This is like saying that Star Wars is about Darth Vader boarding a ship and kidnapping the Princess. This is the first eight or ten pages and we just run with it from here.”

“You’ve got the financial, and America losing power and influence to China, of course, but at the same time, there are massive internal problems in China with social engineering being just one of them. Over the last generation, there have been too many males born, so you’re looking towards a massive social collapse over there. Huge unrest within the next decade. The Arab world is obviously in chaos and we have the European problems and the governments of the world asking these new, young heroes to help. But they can’t. Half of them can barely read a book. Adamantium claws doesn’t mean you know the specific pros and cons of quantative easing. But like I said, this is the backdrop where the adventure takes places. It’s a huge, grand operatic piece that runs for ten issues and does super-heroics on a scale I’ve never even tried in something like ‘The Ultimates.’”
The concept sounds so Universe large!

Watchman 01-12-2012 05:22 PM

Re: Mark Millar & Frank Quitely: Jupiter's Children

Loved their work on the Authority so I'm definitely picking this up. Quietly and Millar on a giant epic superhero? I want this now.

Kahoot 01-13-2012 03:43 PM

This is the first Millar book in a while that has peaked my interests.

Tron Bonne 01-13-2012 05:18 PM

Sounds like a potentially great concept, though I haven't been very fond of Millar's recent work. Superior was pretty good, but nothing particularly amazing. I'll pick this up for Quietly's art, though. I'll most likely trade wait it, too. I would buy singles, but I'm wagering the delays on this will, at least, probably be on par with the other Millarworld titles.

Arseface_27 01-23-2012 01:36 PM

I read the thread title as "Jupiter's Chicken" lol. I'll be picking this up as I am a Millar fanboy.

Gabe99 02-06-2013 12:53 AM

Re: Frank Quitely's Jupiter's Children

CBR EXCLUSIVE FIRST LOOK: Millar & Quitely's "Jupiter's Legacy" #1

Gabe99 02-07-2013 09:11 AM

Millar & Quitely's "Jupiter's Legacy" - A Creator-Owned Event

DarKush 02-24-2013 10:06 PM

^

I'm not a big fan of Quitely's work, though it doesn't look as grotesque as usual here. Thanks for posting the article. After reading Millar's words, I am intrigued.

Wesley Dodds 03-04-2013 07:29 PM

This could be the biggest piece of **** ever put between two covers, and I'll still read it. Know why?

Frank Quitely.

Having said that though, I have a HUGE soft spot for Millar's stuff so I'm looking forward to this.

Gabe99 05-06-2013 11:47 PM

Frank Quitely & Mark Millar's 'Jupiter's Legacy' Examined From Top To Bottom [Review]

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Brothers
I have a love/hate relationship with Mark Millar's work. When I was getting back into comics as an adult, his work with Frank Quitely and Bryan Hitch on The Authority and The Ultimates were fairly instrumental in keeping me reading. As time went on, though, and his books descended deeper into pandering to the lowest common denominator, I began losing interest. But he keeps working with artists I dig, so I'm routinely tempted to at least flip through. Jupiter's Legacy is out this week, and it's his first book with Frank Quitely since The Authority ended and the first long form work Quitely has done without Grant Morrison in forever. I like Quitely's art work a lot, and Peter Doherty's colors are generally a treat.

So I sat down with Jupiter's Legacy and tried to figure out what works, what doesn't, and how I feel about that. This is a thorough autopsy, so grab your comic and read along.

*That* Panel From Jupiterís Legacy #1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Johnston
We ran the first review of Jupiterís Legacy #1, out today, last week. During which we mentioned a very specific panel by artists Frank Quitely and Peter Doherty in which a telepath created a new reality, and does so showing different levels of realities as fully print-ready art, just the colour guides and then the pencils, literally showing the creative process as an analogy for a very different one.

First Review: Jupiterís Legacy #1 by Mark Millar, Frank Quitely and Peter Doherty

Quote:

Itís the new, much anticipated creator owned superhero comic from Mark Millar and Frank Quitely, coloured by Pete Doherty Itís reported to have pre-orders in the region of 150,000, putting it well into the top five for the month at least. Thereís a lot of expectation and hope resting upon it.

But the first thing out of the gate, youíre going to think is that youíre watching an episode of a familiar TV series. A group of young folk trying to persuade a shipís captain to take them and a crew to a mysterious island on an empty point of a map that they saw in a dream, that is an answer to all the world needs. It even holds back on what happens on the island. But it is old, it is full of knowledge and it calls to people.

Whooshy sound increasing in volume. Cut to black. LOST. But as a superhero origin story.

JewishHobbit 05-11-2013 11:10 AM

I had no intention of picking this up when it came out but quietly's art peaked my interest. I ended up loving it. I'm not much of an indy reader, having only read Millar's work on Civil War and Wolverine, but I'm glad I got this. I'll definately see it through to its end.

Visceral 05-11-2013 11:34 AM

I know millar's personality turns people off, but his writing is very ballsy.

Gabe99 05-12-2013 03:13 AM

A Jupiter’s Legacy Tweak At DC Comics…
Quote:

Remember “What If The Batman Was The Joker?” used to promote the original Nemesis comic from Mark Millar and Steve McNiven (and yes, where has its sequel gone?)

DC Comics persuaded Mark to change that strategy.

Well, let’s see the solicit posted by Comic Book Resources with an exclusive preview of artwork.
Quote:

“Celebrate the 75th anniversary of Superman this month by buying this frankly much-more interesting book by superstar creators MARK MILLAR and FRANK QUITELY.”
Yeah. I don’t expect DC will like that any more…

Grant Morrison Talks “Multiversity,” “Wonder Woman: Earth One”
DC’s favorite creator spoke with Crave Online about his magnum opus project for the DC Multiverse.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Hunsaker
Multiversity #4: Pax Americana.
Morrison said this is "the next stage" of Quitely, and "honestly, it kicks the ass of whatever he's doing with Mark Millar right now."

Maximus One 12-02-2014 08:30 AM

What happened with this? I can't find any info anywhere. Was it cancelled or something or is Millar just taking his super, sweet ass time. He's said there was supposed to be 10-12 issues but we only got 4 and its been almost a year since the last issue dropped. Safe to say it's been cancelled then?

Tron Bonne 12-03-2014 10:44 AM

It's probably less Millar and more Quietly. He's notoriously slow, and he was also working on Morrison's Multiversity roughly at the same time, and while it was only one issue, it was a pretty complicated piece that probably took him a while. Now that he's done with that, he'll probably go back to this, though nothing has been said for sure that I know of.

Maximus One 12-03-2014 12:04 PM

I've just heard so many great things about this I decided to grab the first 4 issues and then I looked it up and seen none had come out since January and it blew me away. That's a hell of a delay.

Xeno-noesis 12-07-2014 09:26 PM

I recall Millar saying they were not on any formal or particular schedule and that it would certainly not come out monthly. Very disappointing though as this was at the tippy-top of my pull list.

Tron Bonne 12-07-2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maximus One (Post 30228185)
I've just heard so many great things about this I decided to grab the first 4 issues and then I looked it up and seen none had come out since January and it blew me away. That's a hell of a delay.

Welcome to the pain of being a Quietly fan. The wait on All Star Superman was brutal.

Maximus One 12-08-2014 03:21 PM

I can imagine. If this is taking this long then, damn.