The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Batman World (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=230)
-   -   The Dark Knight Returns - if you were to do a sequel/prequel/spin off (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=451627)

BH/HHH 01-17-2013 08:28 AM

The Dark Knight Returns - if you were to do a sequel/prequel/spin off
 
This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately and I just wondered ignoring the Dark Knight Strikes Again and All Star Batman & Robin (which don't think even felt like the same world as the Dark Knight Returns_ if you were to write a prequel, sequel or a spin off what would it be (or even an animated version as a sequel or prequel to the animated films)?

I have to admit I'd love to find out what happened to Olivers arm, why are Superheroes banned, why does Superman only work for his country now? Did Lois die? Etc

Would just love to know what everyone has in their mind as a sequel, prequel or even a spin off?

Spider-Kurt! 01-31-2013 09:32 AM

Re: The Dark Knight Returns - if you were to do a sequel/prequel/spin off
 
These topics could make a great Justice League direct to video animated feature as opposed specifically a Batman one in my opinion. This way several members get the spotlight,namely Superman,Wonder Woman,Green Arrow,Green Lantern and Batman. I haven't read the Dark Knught Strikes Again but I know Flash and Atom are in it.Does that story touch on how the disbandoning of the League effected them?

BH/HHH 02-01-2013 05:42 AM

Re: The Dark Knight Returns - if you were to do a sequel/prequel/spin off
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider-Kurt! (Post 25100397)
These topics could make a great Justice League direct to video animated feature as opposed specifically a Batman one in my opinion. This way several members get the spotlight,namely Superman,Wonder Woman,Green Arrow,Green Lantern and Batman. I haven't read the Dark Knught Strikes Again but I know Flash and Atom are in it.Does that story touch on how the disbandoning of the League effected them?

Not really, Strikes Again I think was just Milkers attempts to shock the audience but in the story he totally alienates many characters. Hence why I'd love if someone else came in and did a sequel or prequel kind if like the Before Watchmen stuff.

Ponyboy 02-01-2013 03:16 PM

Re: The Dark Knight Returns - if you were to do a sequel/prequel/spin off
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BH/HHH (Post 25016693)
I have to admit I'd love to find out what happened to Olivers arm, why are Superheroes banned, why does Superman only work for his country now? Did Lois die? Etc

Ermm... Weren't all of those questions pretty much answered by both Miller-penned tales?

I was under the impression that Superman was responsible for Oliver's arm (and thus the reason for Oliver wanting a piece of him). I think Superman had a hand in that play of power (ie. forcing heroes to retire).

Superheroes were clearly banned by the government because of Batman's actions... "Of course we're criminals, we have to be"... Also, it seems Luthor had a hand in that (if you read DK Strikes Again).

Lois didn't die, she married the Guardian. Or at least Miller inferred that when we see a young-ish reporter named "Lana Harper-Lane."

BH/HHH 02-01-2013 05:11 PM

Re: The Dark Knight Returns - if you were to do a sequel/prequel/spin off
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponyboy (Post 25108487)
Ermm... Weren't all of those questions pretty much answered by both Miller-penned tales?

I was under the impression that Superman was responsible for Oliver's arm (and thus the reason for Oliver wanting a piece of him). I think Superman had a hand in that play of power (ie. forcing heroes to retire).

Superheroes were clearly banned by the government because of Batman's actions... "Of course we're criminals, we have to be"... Also, it seems Luthor had a hand in that (if you read DK Strikes Again).

Lois didn't die, she married the Guardian. Or at least Miller inferred that when we see a young-ish reporter named "Lana Harper-Lane."

But what exactly happened to Oliver's arm? Why was Superman responsible for him losing it.

Well to be fair I would like a new sequel because I wasn't satisfied at all with Strikes again and a prequel would be nice. It's just my opinion but I've even thought about doing my own prequel comic.

Ponyboy 02-01-2013 07:33 PM

Re: The Dark Knight Returns - if you were to do a sequel/prequel/spin off
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BH/HHH (Post 25109033)
But what exactly happened to Oliver's arm? Why was Superman responsible for him losing it.

I mean if I had to guess, I'd say Superman ripped his damn arm off. I mean, it was Oliver's real weapon wasn't it? I was always under the impression that Superman was partly responsible for the suppression of the other heroes. I think Oliver (knowing his attitude) probably refused to back down, and Superman did what he had to do.

Honestly though? Not knowing the exact details of everything makes the story a bit more intriguing, I find.

BH/HHH 02-02-2013 02:40 AM

Re: The Dark Knight Returns - if you were to do a sequel/prequel/spin off
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponyboy (Post 25109739)
I mean if I had to guess, I'd say Superman ripped his damn arm off. I mean, it was Oliver's real weapon wasn't it? I was always under the impression that Superman was partly responsible for the suppression of the other heroes. I think Oliver (knowing his attitude) probably refused to back down, and Superman did what he had to do.

Honestly though? Not knowing the exact details of everything makes the story a bit more intriguing, I find.

Yeah we'll I'd hope he didn't quite rip his arm off. I always think what if the Justice League were fighting a villain and Jason Todd died in an explosion and Oliver's arm could've been trapped as he was trying to get to Jason who could've been under a building that's gonna blow up or something and Superman severs his arm to save him but Ollie wanted to save Jason and that's why he hates Superman. This is just an idea I've been toying with.

No I get that, I guess it cones down to the imagination thing, nothing's ever as good or as scary in some cases as what you can think up in your mind. I agree it's nice not knowing sometimes.

Ponyboy 02-02-2013 03:22 PM

Re: The Dark Knight Returns - if you were to do a sequel/prequel/spin off
 
^I think you could very well write it in a manner that "Superman had good intentions" with Oliver but it would undermine was Miller's already done. I think the undertones and the insinuation (and the dialogue from Oliver in Dark Knight Returns) implies that this it didn't happen that way. I think it's safe to assume that Superman, being the puppet that he's become, did what he had to do.

It's much like the fight between Superman and Batman at the end issue #4... Superman doesn't really want to fight, and he doesn't even begin to try and hurt Batman until he's pushed. I think the same would've happened with Oliver, and I'd imagine Ollie was antagonizing him... whatever the situation might've been... maybe Superman was there to force Queen into retirement like the others, and Oliver took to kickin Superman's ass. He wasn't going to back down.

Also I think your bit about Jason Todd is also one of those things that's more interesting in that it's not shown. As you said, let your imagination go with it. I think (knowing what came later in the real DCU concerning Todd's fate) it's more fun to just assume that the Joker killed him.

BH/HHH 02-02-2013 04:00 PM

Re: The Dark Knight Returns - if you were to do a sequel/prequel/spin off
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponyboy (Post 25113161)
^I think you could very well write it in a manner that "Superman had good intentions" with Oliver but it would undermine was Miller's already done. I think the undertones and the insinuation (and the dialogue from Oliver in Dark Knight Returns) implies that this it didn't happen that way. I think it's safe to assume that Superman, being the puppet that he's become, did what he had to do.

It's much like the fight between Superman and Batman at the end issue #4... Superman doesn't really want to fight, and he doesn't even begin to try and hurt Batman until he's pushed. I think the same would've happened with Oliver, and I'd imagine Ollie was antagonizing him... whatever the situation might've been... maybe Superman was there to force Queen into retirement like the others, and Oliver took to kickin Superman's ass. He wasn't going to back down.

Also I think your bit about Jason Todd is also one of those things that's more interesting in that it's not shown. As you said, let your imagination go with it. I think (knowing what came later in the real DCU concerning Todd's fate) it's more fun to just assume that the Joker killed him.

See it didn't read that way to me and Oliver Queen is the kind of personality I think would be pissed off with Supes even if Supes was trying to save him.

Well Joker didn't kill him before The Dark Knight Returns cause that story was written after. So we don't know what happened to Jason in that story. Batman never even hints at who killed him or how he died. I like to think he died fighting for something (in this world anyway). I guess its just the way I imagine it, I have this story I'd love to write involving the Justice League and an alien threat and Jason would've died to save everyone but at the same time sacrificing himself and I'd have had Oliver Queen trapped and Superman saves him but he wants him to save Jason. But Superman saves Oliver cause he has knows he can't make it to Jason. In the process Superman severs Olivers arm to save him and this is why I would've had Oliver hate him. The destruction from this would result in heroes been banned and Lois Lane dying which basically leaves Superman with no one else in his life. It would also lead to Superman falling into the Arms of Wonder Woman, she would be pregnant by the end and in the sequel to TDK I'd have it be about the son of Superman and Wonder Woman moving from the island of Themiscara (it would be a big deal that a boy is on the Island) to Metropolis and somehow he'd have to deal with Batman and his crew but ultimately he'd see what needs to happen and the heroes would return and abolish the superhero ban by the end of the film. I suppose my stories though would be in the same world as Dark Knight but be more about Superman and the other heroes.

If I write it I'd work on the ins and outs but this is the basic story I want to do.

Yeah but like I said we all read things as we do.

Ponyboy 02-02-2013 05:52 PM

Re: The Dark Knight Returns - if you were to do a sequel/prequel/spin off
 
^Yeah, to each his own. I applaud your idea and intention of writing, but the idea itself isn't exciting to me. Even if Frank Miller himself said he was doing a prequel I'd be hesitant.

I think you'd really need to think about plot points and what your sequel would even be trying to say. Just doing a prequel of one of the greatest comics ever published isn't enough. Good luck to ya. :cwink:

BH/HHH 02-03-2013 09:22 AM

Re: The Dark Knight Returns - if you were to do a sequel/prequel/spin off
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponyboy (Post 25113821)
^Yeah, to each his own. I applaud your idea and intention of writing, but the idea itself isn't exciting to me. Even if Frank Miller himself said he was doing a prequel I'd be hesitant.

I think you'd really need to think about plot points and what your sequel would even be trying to say. Just doing a prequel of one of the greatest comics ever published isn't enough. Good luck to ya. :cwink:

Nah I understand that, tbh I probably won't write it but at the moment I'm in the mood to do something. Tbh I might be better off just doing an original stry set in its own universe.

Thanks ;)

Ponyboy 02-03-2013 03:06 PM

Re: The Dark Knight Returns - if you were to do a sequel/prequel/spin off
 
^Best of luck to you. I'm actually working on the 1st revision of my first novel (with an editor in New York who's been in the biz for 30 years)... so I know how tough writing can be. People who aren't writers haven't a clue.

I think Neil Gaiman said it best, "You sit down at your keyboard and put one word after the other until it's done. It's that easy. And that hard."

BH/HHH 02-03-2013 04:20 PM

Re: The Dark Knight Returns - if you were to do a sequel/prequel/spin off
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponyboy (Post 25117857)
^Best of luck to you. I'm actually working on the 1st revision of my first novel (with an editor in New York who's been in the biz for 30 years)... so I know how tough writing can be. People who aren't writers haven't a clue.

I think Neil Gaiman said it best, "You sit down at your keyboard and put one word after the other until it's done. It's that easy. And that hard."

Ha ha perfect way of putting it, I'm the kind of reason who has a good idea but then I struggle to put it into rods. I have a mate whose a really good artist I might see if he wants to do a comic with me.

If not i might just do a script or a story.

Thanks for the luck I'll need it :cwink:

Ponyboy 02-03-2013 06:48 PM

Re: The Dark Knight Returns - if you were to do a sequel/prequel/spin off
 
^Good luck! You can always pitch your ideas to Dark Horse or Image especially since they are doing so much creator owned stuff now. Check out the Submissions page for Image and Dark Horse.

BH/HHH 02-04-2013 07:17 AM

Re: The Dark Knight Returns - if you were to do a sequel/prequel/spin off
 
Might try that thanks for the heads up

Ponyboy 02-04-2013 04:40 PM

Re: The Dark Knight Returns - if you were to do a sequel/prequel/spin off
 
^You're very welcome, all the best :woot:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com, A property of CraveOnline, a divison of AtomicOnline, LLC © 2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.