The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Marvel Films (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Where did "Phase" come from? (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=451751)

Lord 01-20-2013 12:53 PM

Where did "Phase" come from?

When did Marvel begin to call their first 6 films phases? I remember that when i made the MCU: Phase II thread it wasn't called that yet, i called it that because at the time i was interested in the cancelled Star Trek: Phase II tv show and thought the name would fit. Only months after did i see them calling the next series of movies Phase II.

Coincidence or are Marvel execs keeping an eye on these forums? :oldrazz:

JB-the-Hunter 01-20-2013 11:52 PM

Re: Where did "Phase" come from?

It makes sense

spideymouse 01-25-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord (Post 25033159)
When did Marvel begin to call their first 6 films phases? I remember that when i made the MCU: Phase II thread it wasn't called that yet, i called it that because at the time i was interested in the cancelled Star Trek: Phase II tv show and thought the name would fit. Only months after did i see them calling the next series of movies Phase II.

I think Feige first said "phase one" at NYCC 2011, 5 months after you coined it. Nice job influencing the vocabulary surrounding a major pop culture icon!

ThePhantasm 01-25-2013 02:27 PM

Clearly they are ripping off DC. I mean, what happens when you switch "Phase II" around? You get "Two-Face."

Seriously Marvel, try not to be so obvious. :o

Spidey-Quad 01-30-2013 03:51 PM

I always assume that it came from the Star Trek universe. "Set phase on stun!"

spideymouse 02-01-2013 01:26 PM

Did some digging. Maybe you guys will remember this from back then Apparently Clark Gregg called what is now known as Phase I "a first act in this giant epic that they're attempting" in an interview with Time Magazine in September 2010. Interestingly enough, this is what he said later about a possible Agent Coulson movie: "Iím ready. Iím waiting for that call. Definitely Agent Coulson is really shrewd, he doesnít get into fights that he canít win. So heís waiting for the right moment, for a feeble enough opponent to come along." Ironic, huh?

A week later that year, Time dubbed what we now call Phase II as "Marvel's Movie Act 2," referring to a quote by Paul Gitter, president-consumer products for Marvel Entertainment, about Marvel Studios possibly building towards a second large event in 2017.

It's funny to quote really old articles, but it's also interesting from a historical standpoint!

kaijunexus 02-01-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord (Post 25033159)

The Lord sayeth, the Marvel useth.

misjuevos 02-03-2013 11:20 PM

i always think of the onslaught crossover event. it was full of phase 1's and 2's, and impact 1&2.

redhawk23 02-05-2013 01:24 PM

I've always found it interesting that their terms reflect the Shield weapons program.

CaptainCraig 02-10-2013 12:59 PM

^^^^
I thought that was an interesting coincidence as well.