The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   The Savage Land (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=458957)

Mr. Dent 06-01-2013 03:28 PM

The Savage Land
 
Would anyone else like to see them finally use this? There are so many things they still haven't even touched yet. Savage Land opens a lot of doors.

psylockolussus 06-01-2013 08:41 PM

Re: The Savage Land
 
Sure why not. But I don't really want to see Kazar in a X-Men movie.

jonathancrane 06-01-2013 08:44 PM

Re: The Savage Land
 
I'd like to see the Savage Land and Asteroid M in the future.

X-Maniac 06-01-2013 09:22 PM

Re: The Savage Land
 
Yes, I'd love to see it.

I especially liked the way the X-Men unintentionally stumbled across it in the comics when tunnelling away from Magneto's lair in an Antarctic volcano.

It would need a good story rather than just 'X-Men vs dinosaurs.'

jonathancrane 06-01-2013 09:29 PM

Re: The Savage Land
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by X-Maniac (Post 25983113)
Yes, I'd love to see it.

I especially liked the way the X-Men unintentionally stumbled across it in the comics when tunnelling away from Magneto's lair in an Antarctic volcano.

It would need a good story rather than just 'X-Men vs dinosaurs.'

I've always wanted a Wolvie stranded on the Savage Land film. The perfect time to do it would be when they recast, and can afford to have such absurd, but awesome films.:woot: It could be a behind enemy lines film refracted through the comics.

H.U.S.T.L.E. 06-02-2013 11:59 AM

Re: The Savage Land
 
The Savage Land is one of the really interesting concepts within the X-Men stories that I'd love to see on film & the beauty of it is that you could use it in several different ways for storytelling purposes. If the main antagonist is Magneto you can utilize the Savage Land Mutates as a foil to the X-Men, or you could use Sauron as the main baddie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by psylockolussus (Post 25982853)
Sure why not. But I don't really want to see Kazar in a X-Men movie.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ka-Zar at some point, but it does seem that he would be somewhat out of place in an X-Men franchise - if the Savage Land were a part of the larger MCU then introducing Ka-Zar would make a lot of sense due to his ties to other characters as well... except X-Men is produced by Fox so using the Savage Land as a go-between other Marvel characters is out of the question.

In addition to the Savage Land, it'd be fun to see things like Asteroid M, Shi'ar Empire/Starjammers, Genosha, Age of Apocalypse... you get the point, there's tons of stories that could be told on screen.

X-Maniac 06-02-2013 03:20 PM

Re: The Savage Land
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by H.U.S.T.L.E. (Post 25985549)
The Savage Land is one of the really interesting concepts within the X-Men stories that I'd love to see on film & the beauty of it is that you could use it in several different ways for storytelling purposes. If the main antagonist is Magneto you can utilize the Savage Land Mutates as a foil to the X-Men, or you could use Sauron as the main baddie.



I wouldn't mind seeing Ka-Zar at some point, but it does seem that he would be somewhat out of place in an X-Men franchise - if the Savage Land were a part of the larger MCU then introducing Ka-Zar would make a lot of sense due to his ties to other characters as well... except X-Men is produced by Fox so using the Savage Land as a go-between other Marvel characters is out of the question.

In addition to the Savage Land, it'd be fun to see things like Asteroid M, Shi'ar Empire/Starjammers, Genosha, Age of Apocalypse... you get the point, there's tons of stories that could be told on screen.

I doubt Fox has the rights to Ka-Zar. I would think Marvel has Ka-Zar and, if so, Marvel probably also has the right to use the Savage Land.

Fox could use Savage Land too and include Sauron or Garokk or the mutates.

I'd love to see Magneto have his base beneath a volcano, like in the comics.

And, yes, I'd also like to see Shi'ar, Starjammers, Imperial Guard, Genosha, Krakoa, etc.

psylockolussus 06-02-2013 07:51 PM

Re: The Savage Land
 
I would like to see Garokk.

But Sauron... I feel like he looks too Jurassic Park-ish for the movies.

And I think Genosha would be the easiest location to adapt in the film.

H.U.S.T.L.E. 06-03-2013 08:12 AM

Re: The Savage Land
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by X-Maniac (Post 25986767)
I doubt Fox has the rights to Ka-Zar. I would think Marvel has Ka-Zar and, if so, Marvel probably also has the right to use the Savage Land.

Fox could use Savage Land too and include Sauron or Garokk or the mutates.

I'd love to see Magneto have his base beneath a volcano, like in the comics.

And, yes, I'd also like to see Shi'ar, Starjammers, Imperial Guard, Genosha, Krakoa, etc.

Hmm, I just assumed that Fox had the rights to the Savage Land since the stories I'm most familiar with tie into the X-Men more than anything else... even though there are some appearances by other Marvel characters in the Savage Land, I'd be skeptical of any movie that didn't include the X-Men since there's so many ties between the two.

Mr. Dent 06-03-2013 08:50 AM

Re: The Savage Land
 
I highly doubt Marvel has rights to the Savage Land. It's way too tied to the X-Men. I'm not sure just having Kazar allows them to use Savage Land.

747 06-03-2013 09:01 AM

Re: The Savage Land
 
Honestly, I won't cry if I never see The Savage Land in live action. Not that I would be against it either, it's just not a terribly important aspect to me.

Angamb 06-03-2013 12:18 PM

Re: The Savage Land
 
I have started watching X-Men: Evolution again...

and thinking about all the different plots and all, (same as 90's show) it was great how the x-men went to many different places and sets, like Savage Land, Asteroid M, Genosha, Egipt...

all these different and unique sets would bring a whole new life to the X-Men franchise, and could lead to a more Adventure film vibe, with awesome sets, locations, new looks and all.

Hopefully Singer, or Fox later in the decade or next one decide to explore new territories with our beloved mutants. It would be pretty epic and fresh

Daybreak_st 06-05-2013 07:18 PM

Re: The Savage Land
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angamb (Post 25993717)
I have started watching X-Men: Evolution again...

and thinking about all the different plots and all, (same as 90's show) it was great how the x-men went to many different places and sets, like Savage Land, Asteroid M, Genosha, Egipt...

all these different and unique sets would bring a whole new life to the X-Men franchise, and could lead to a more Adventure film vibe, with awesome sets, locations, new looks and all.

Hopefully Singer, or Fox later in the decade or next one decide to explore new territories with our beloved mutants. It would be pretty epic and fresh


Agreed the property has so much potential but I don't really see the more fantastic elements fitting in with Singer's established franchise. However a full reboot would really open up the possibilities.

jonathancrane 06-05-2013 07:20 PM

Re: The Savage Land
 
I would prefer they not reboot, but move onwards. A new director can add new territories and plotlines; it is not too late, especially with the retcons that are coming with DOFP.

marvelrobbins 06-05-2013 07:25 PM

Re: The Savage Land
 
There Is question on who owns rights to savage land.If say ka-zar remains with Disney/Marvel fox may not be able to use It In a X-Men films.

So I guess with the reortd reimaging and realstic appoach to superman you guys will
critize Zach Snyder,David Goyer,and Chris Nolan like you do Bryan Singer.

X-Maniac 06-05-2013 07:52 PM

Re: The Savage Land
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Dent (Post 25992597)
I highly doubt Marvel has rights to the Savage Land. It's way too tied to the X-Men. I'm not sure just having Kazar allows them to use Savage Land.

If Marvel Studios has Ka-Zar, they almost certainly have rights to use the Savage Land. Where else would Marvel set a Ka-Zar movie?

They may be shared rights with Fox, which seems likely, or they may not.

But Ka-Zar goes hand in hand with the Savage Land. He doesn't prowl around on the moon or in the Amazon, he is in the prehistoric hidden world of the Savage Land.

psylockolussus 06-05-2013 08:28 PM

Re: The Savage Land
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathancrane (Post 26016881)
I would prefer they not reboot, but move onwards. A new director can add new territories and plotlines; it is not too late, especially with the retcons that are coming with DOFP.

I agree!

And they can always make this series fresh by adding new characters.

Daybreak_st 06-05-2013 10:14 PM

Re: The Savage Land
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by psylockolussus (Post 26017359)
I agree!

And they can always make this series fresh by adding new characters.


It won't be fresh if they just replace background characters with other background characters. The focus has to shift from Wolverine to a true ensemble cast or else it will stay the same. He already has two movies all to himself I don't care how popular he is another X-men shouldn't have him as the sole focus. And regardless of the comparison Iron Man did not overshadow the other characters in the avengers. He had some great scenes but they all did. No one was made to look bad just to make him look better. That's how they treated Cyclops for the sake of Wolverine.

psylockolussus 06-05-2013 10:41 PM

Re: The Savage Land
 
It all comes down to the writers. But if they don't change the focus and its still the Wolverine show. Its still not gonna harm this series, since Wolverine is the most popular character when it comes to mainstream audience and as long as they come up with movies that as good as X1, X2 and First Class.

Fan-boys will continue to whine but they will still watch the movies.

Daybreak_st 06-05-2013 10:46 PM

Re: The Savage Land
 
The way you swoon over these movies you sound like a pretty big fanboy yourself ;) I'm just saying the movies were fine and they had their day the same as the pre-Nolan Batman franchise, the Spidey franchise and the Superman franchise. Good for their time but not irreplaceable. I feel the same way about the X-men franchise. The longer they keep making these films the more bogged down they'll become. Make a clean break with a long overdue reboot, which is what First Class should've been and you can really take the franchise in a fresh direction.

psylockolussus 06-05-2013 11:39 PM

Re: The Savage Land
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daybreak_st (Post 26018561)
The way you swoon over these movies you sound like a pretty big fanboy yourself ;) I'm just saying the movies were fine and they had their day the same as the pre-Nolan Batman franchise, the Spidey franchise and the Superman franchise. Good for their time but not irreplaceable. I feel the same way about the X-men franchise. The longer they keep making these films the more bogged down they'll become. Make a clean break with a long overdue reboot, which is what First Class should've been and you can really take the franchise in a fresh direction.

Spider-Man was rebooted because Sam Raimi didn't want to return. And the cast wouldn't sign up if Raimi wasn't directing.

Batman had to do a reboot because of the poor reception of Batman/Robin. And its being rebooted again because Christopher Nolan doesn't want to make a 4th Batman film and Christian Bale would only return for a 4th film if Christopher Nolan is the director.

Superman had to do a reboot because Superman Returns was a big disappointment at the box-office.

So far, those things hasn't happened to the X-Men movie series yet.

jonathancrane 06-05-2013 11:52 PM

Re: The Savage Land
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by psylockolussus (Post 26019111)
Spider-Man was rebooted because Sam Raimi didn't want to return. And the cast wouldn't sign up if Raimi wasn't directing.

Batman had to do a reboot because of the poor reception of Batman/Robin. And its being rebooted again because Christopher Nolan doesn't want to make a 4th Batman film and Christian Bale would only return for a 4th film if Christopher Nolan is the director.

Superman had to do a reboot because Superman Returns was a big disappointment at the box-office.

So far, those things hasn't happened to the X-Men movie series yet.

This. :woot:

I can understand some of the disappointment the fans have towards the utilization of the characters (for example, while Nolan is one of my cinematic heroes, I felt more could have been done with Crane in Batman Begins.) However, it is premature to reboot: some have cited the age of the franchise (14 years) but, in context of the series, before DOFP, there were four films. While it under-performed, First Class did re-ignite the franchise after X3. DOFP is going to continue rejuvenating the series, which will hopefully occur with the next film.

Again, I understand the criticism of over-exposure of a brand, but, I feel we have not reached that point yet. Excluding Origins, the "worst" X films have still have been successful to some degree, whether it be critically (First Class) or financially (X3). Atop of that, most of the OT actors are still in good shape; the only one who stands out is Ian McKellan, whose performance in the Hobbit - namely, the first scene with Bilbo-seemed drained of his usual vigor. Otherwise, he was fine in the film; that was the scene that stood out to me. Still, Professor X and the rest of the X-team are still ripe, in terms of performance and age.

Again, in the case of McKellan (which I cited anecdotal evidence to play Devil's advocate,) they do not have to have Magneto in every X-film. There's a pantheon of villains who have not been tapped yet: Sinister, Apocalypse, the Hellfire Club (any of the iterations,) or heck, some of the aliens (Shi'ar,) or classic monsters (Krakoa, Sauron, and so on,) can easily fill the bill.

The concern of brand over-exposure diminishes the richness of the comic franchise; saying that Magneto, Stryker, and the Sentinels are the only villains ignores a ton of great storylines and characters they can cull from.

psylockolussus 06-06-2013 12:14 AM

Re: The Savage Land
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathancrane (Post 26019219)
Again, in the case of McKellan (which I cited anecdotal evidence to play Devil's advocate,) they do not have to have Magneto in every X-film. There's a pantheon of villains who have not been tapped yet: Sinister, Apocalypse, the Hellfire Club (any of the iterations,) or heck, some of the aliens (Shi'ar,) or classic monsters (Krakoa, Sauron, and so on,) can easily fill the bill.

The concern of brand over-exposure diminishes the richness of the comic franchise; saying that Magneto, Stryker, and the Sentinels are the only villains ignores a ton of great storylines and characters they can cull from.

Exactly! Like the Spider-Man and Batman films, X-Men could face a new big villain in every new film. They just need to make that new villain strong and more threatening compare to the last one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathancrane (Post 26019219)
I can understand some of the disappointment the fans have towards the utilization of the characters (for example, while Nolan is one of my cinematic heroes, I felt more could have been done with Crane in Batman Begins.) However, it is premature to reboot: some have cited the age of the franchise (14 years) but, in context of the series, before DOFP, there were four films. While it under-performed, First Class did re-ignite the franchise after X3. DOFP is going to continue rejuvenating the series, which will hopefully occur with the next film.

DOFP would definitely reignite this series. Like I said this series is in much better shape compare to 2009 to 2011. With just the hype alone, DOFP looks like its gonna be a big blockbuster. What will happen when the trailer is released, when the promotion starts and the movie turned to be great.

FOX should be smart to take advantage of this and milk the success of DOFP by releasing another movie with the original cast.

Daybreak_st 06-06-2013 12:22 AM

Re: The Savage Land
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by psylockolussus (Post 26019111)
Spider-Man was rebooted because Sam Raimi didn't want to return. And the cast wouldn't sign up if Raimi wasn't directing.

Batman had to do a reboot because of the poor reception of Batman/Robin. And its being rebooted again because Christopher Nolan doesn't want to make a 4th Batman film and Christian Bale would only return for a 4th film if Christopher Nolan is the director.

Superman had to do a reboot because Superman Returns was a big disappointment at the box-office.

So far, those things hasn't happened to the X-Men movie series yet.


The point is films regardless of how cherished can be successfully rebooted. Period. Thus far it's worked out pretty well. You say there's no need to reboot the films and maybe DOFP will reset them on a solid path. You may be right. As it currently is I can't even see them using characters like Apocalypse, Sinister, the Shi'Nar empire and making them fit well into this franchise.

psylockolussus 06-06-2013 12:33 AM

Re: The Savage Land
 
There's no need for a reboot NOW. But do I think there should be a reboot someday? YES. in the late 20s or early 30s.

And if they managed to do time-travel and Sentinels in this upcoming film. Apocalypse and Sinister wouldn't be super impossible.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com, A property of CraveOnline, a divison of AtomicOnline, LLC © 2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.