The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Marvel Films (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Do you think a MCU approach to the X-Men film series would be a good idea? (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=459493)

psylockolussus 06-10-2013 09:47 PM

Do you think a MCU approach to the X-Men film series would be a good idea?
 
Like releasing a new X-Men related film every year? Like a movie with the original cast, a movie with the cast of First Class, spin-off movies like Deadpool, New Mutants, X-Force?

It is possible or will it oversaturate the series?

samsnee 06-10-2013 10:39 PM

Re: Do you think a MCU approach to the X-Men film series would be a good idea?
 
I dunno, you're asking Hugh Jackman to pop up in a lot of movies.

psylockolussus 06-10-2013 11:33 PM

Re: Do you think a MCU approach to the X-Men film series would be a good idea?
 
I think what Fox should do is go back to making films with the original cast. I feel like with Days of Future Past, they could make it look like its the long awaited X-Men 4. And after that, at least release two more films with them and maybe the X-Men will have the same success that is Fast/Furious is getting right now and earning more than $500 million worldwide per film.

With spin-offs, I just feel like the mainstream audience don't have enough interest with them. Look at how quiet the buzz is for The Wolverine and how big the buzz is for Days of Future Past and its not even out until next year.

cherokeesam 06-11-2013 01:28 AM

Re: Do you think a MCU approach to the X-Men film series would be a good idea?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by psylockolussus (Post 26064013)
I think what Fox should do is go back to making films with the original cast. I feel like with Days of Future Past, they could make it look like its the long awaited X-Men 4. And after that, at least release two more films with them and maybe the X-Men will have the same success that is Fast/Furious is getting right now and earning more than $500 million worldwide per film.

With spin-offs, I just feel like the mainstream audience don't have enough interest with them. Look at how quiet the buzz is for The Wolverine and how big the buzz is for Days of Future Past and its not even out until next year.

No other X-character has been *offered* a spinoff, so it's impossible to tell how much interest there would be. Magneto was in development for awhile, and there *was* buzz surrounding that; and there's still buzz around a Deadpool movie that's still lost in development hell.

I think XMOW was such a cluster**** that it's killed most of the potential buzz for The Wolverine; and The Wolverine appears to general audiences to be almost reboot-ish, like it's trying to make amends for Origins. Has the same kind of vibe as TIH in the wake of Ang Lee's Hulk, but without a recast of the lead.

Silvermoth 06-11-2013 06:06 AM

Re: Do you think a MCU approach to the X-Men film series would be a good idea?
 
Oh no I voted in the thread before I read the first post. I thought it was asking "would the xmen do better in the MCU than the Foxverse :(

Sorry everyone

lozzy.94 06-11-2013 07:52 AM

Re: Do you think a MCU approach to the X-Men film series would be a good idea?
 
I really cannot see it working out, there's potential in it but having X-men characters appear in films on a yearly basis might over saturate things. I think one of the main reasons the MCU has worked so far is that the leading character are very different from one another, while the X-men character may have different powers and personalities things like the problems they face, there villains and just there life in general are usually all the same.

spideymouse 06-11-2013 09:50 AM

Re: Do you think a MCU approach to the X-Men film series would be a good idea?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lozzy.94 (Post 26067201)
I really cannot see it working out, there's potential in it but having X-men characters appear in films on a yearly basis might over saturate things. I think one of the main reasons the MCU has worked so far is that the leading character are very different from one another, while the X-men character may have different powers and personalities things like the problems they face, there villains and just there life in general are usually all the same.

I agree with lozzy. With the X-universe, I think the best way you would get away with a higher frequency of X-movies would be to have the spin-offs show very different and unique corners of the X-Universe. I say embrace the extremely convoluted nature of that world. I'm thinking like a Starjammers film featuring the Shi'ar, in contrast to an X-Factor political thriller set in Genosha, in contrast to a Savage Land film or a film set on Asteroid M. Just my opinion.

cherokeesam 06-11-2013 10:32 AM

Re: Do you think a MCU approach to the X-Men film series would be a good idea?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lozzy.94 (Post 26067201)
I really cannot see it working out, there's potential in it but having X-men characters appear in films on a yearly basis might over saturate things. I think one of the main reasons the MCU has worked so far is that the leading character are very different from one another, while the X-men character may have different powers and personalities things like the problems they face, there villains and just there life in general are usually all the same.

lolwut

Wolverine's "lone gunfighter" persona is the same as Storm being a living goddess in Africa? Or Cyclops and Jean's romantic dramas? Or Beast as the erudite and sophisticated genius, trapped in the body of a fairy-tale "Beast"? Or Emma Frost, the pornstar hottie school headmistress?

The only thing the X-characters have in common is *usually* a universal hatred from the vox populi, but other than disenfranchisement, each character has a very different story arc individually.

Zarex 06-11-2013 11:19 AM

Re: Do you think a MCU approach to the X-Men film series would be a good idea?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokeesam (Post 26068477)
lolwut

Wolverine's "lone gunfighter" persona is the same as Storm being a living goddess in Africa? Or Cyclops and Jean's romantic dramas? Or Beast as the erudite and sophisticated genius, trapped in the body of a fairy-tale "Beast"? Or Emma Frost, the pornstar hottie school headmistress?

The only thing the X-characters have in common is *usually* a universal hatred from the vox populi, but other than disenfranchisement, each character has a very different story arc individually.

The personalities of the characters are quite different, but one major problem is that the "I was born this way" mutant genesis lacks the compelling origin stories that draw the audience toward the characters. Though posters on these forums often bemoan them, Cap, Spidey, Supes, Bats and IM had fantastic comic book origin stories that were successfully translated to the big screen. Luke Cage is another character whose origin comes ready made for movies, and I am hoping to see a version of the terrific Drax/Moondragon alien abduction and experimentation story next year when GOTG is released.

My guess is that DOFP will leave FOX with two potential franchises going forward - a modern version with Jackman's Wolverine leading a group of "New Mutants" and a 70's-80's version that will feature a young Jean, Scott and Ororo. A key factor in which, if either franchise FOX decides to move forward with will come from how DOFP performs against what looks to be heavy competion in GOTG.

metaphysician 06-11-2013 12:36 PM

Re: Do you think a MCU approach to the X-Men film series would be a good idea?
 
Here's the bigger issue: we've seen no evidence that Fox could actually maintain such a release tempo at all. Its moot whether one good X-Men movie a year would be nice, if they can't even do one bad X-Men movie a year.

Heliflyer 06-11-2013 12:48 PM

Re: Do you think a MCU approach to the X-Men film series would be a good idea?
 
Hey Fox - easy and quick money (may not be a quality film, but I guarantee you will make money on the picture) - Dazzler.

She is a flashy mutant. Here is the hook - cast Lady Gaga in the role. Give her some acting coaching and training, just to get her up to acceptable levels. Her signature line and song is "Born This Way" so the catch and audience hook is built in.

The crossover audience will be huge, the theme is built in with cross marketing.

Like I said, the film may not be the best, but guaranteed it makes money.

bubbadoom 06-11-2013 04:52 PM

Re: Do you think a MCU approach to the X-Men film series would be a good idea?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokeesam (Post 26065549)
No other X-character has been *offered* a spinoff, so it's impossible to tell how much interest there would be. Magneto was in development for awhile, and there *was* buzz surrounding that; and there's still buzz around a Deadpool movie that's still lost in development hell.

Didn't the "Magneto" solo movie evolve into First Class?

spideymouse 06-11-2013 04:59 PM

Re: Do you think a MCU approach to the X-Men film series would be a good idea?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbadoom (Post 26072621)
Didn't the "Magneto" solo movie evolve into First Class?

That's how I understood the way things went. I think Matthew Vaughn mentioned it in the director's commentary... It's been a while so I'm not entirely sure about that.

psylockolussus 06-11-2013 07:55 PM

Re: Do you think a MCU approach to the X-Men film series would be a good idea?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokeesam (Post 26068477)
lolwut

Wolverine's "lone gunfighter" persona is the same as Storm being a living goddess in Africa? Or Cyclops and Jean's romantic dramas? Or Beast as the erudite and sophisticated genius, trapped in the body of a fairy-tale "Beast"? Or Emma Frost, the pornstar hottie school headmistress?

The only thing the X-characters have in common is *usually* a universal hatred from the vox populi, but other than disenfranchisement, each character has a very different story arc individually.

The thing is they all fall in X-Men category. Not every Iron Man movie falls into Captain America category, Thor category, Guardians of the Galaxy category, Ant-Man category, Inhuman category. Even if they all appear in the Avengers movie, people could easily them as their own thing with their solo movies especially if they haven't appeared in The Avengers.

The solo movies for the characters that you said would have to rely on the X-Men brand. And spin-off movies and solo movies would only work for so long.

K'Prime 06-12-2013 05:39 AM

Re: Do you think a MCU approach to the X-Men film series would be a good idea?
 
Nope.over saturation would be all but assured down that road

Nikolaus 06-12-2013 10:58 AM

Re: Do you think a MCU approach to the X-Men film series would be a good idea?
 
How do the Rights work? Can Marvel make an Animated X-men Film or would Fox have that right still. If they could I would love an animated MCU film like X-Men to show where they might go with it, or like the DC animation they could base them off some Graphic Novels.

Blitzkrieg Bop 06-12-2013 11:00 AM

Re: Do you think a MCU approach to the X-Men film series would be a good idea?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by samsnee (Post 26062835)
I dunno, you're asking Hugh Jackman to pop up in a lot of movies.

Ahahaha.

pr0xyt0xin 06-12-2013 02:32 PM

Re: Do you think a MCU approach to the X-Men film series would be a good idea?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by psylockolussus (Post 26061827)
Like releasing a new X-Men related film every year? Like a movie with the original cast, a movie with the cast of First Class, spin-off movies like Deadpool, New Mutants, X-Force?

It is possible or will it oversaturate the series?

I actually think that this would be an intelligent move for Fox. But I don't think they have it in them.

def28 06-12-2013 04:17 PM

Re: Do you think a MCU approach to the X-Men film series would be a good idea?
 
Deadpool and X-Force show different sides of the X Universe. So yes. IM tired of the same old Fox bs. Would like to see some of the actual bad ass side of these comics as well as something new not involved with Brian Singer making decisions.

As long as they can make different and good films, its a great idea. If its gonna be the same **** every movie with the same focus on Mags, Prof X and Wolverine then no.

Storylines like AOA also lead themselves to big crossovers. That storyline cant be done in one film or with one team for that matter.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com, A property of CraveOnline, a divison of AtomicOnline, LLC © 2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.