The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Marvel Films (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Shang-Chi part of Phase 3? (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=461625)

Endeavor 07-15-2013 05:29 PM

Shang-Chi part of Phase 3?

I know this is a very iffy source but, when looking up Kevin Feige in IMDB, the second annouced title, right under Dr Strange is: The Hands of Shang-Chi.
Thoughts?

DarkSovereignty 07-15-2013 05:39 PM

Re: Shang-Chi part of Phase 3?

...who?

Endeavor 07-15-2013 05:41 PM

This guy http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tY1WITSXx0...of+kung-fu.jpg

Mr. Dent 07-15-2013 06:23 PM

Friend of Iron Fist.

If Shang Chi were going to in a movie, it would be rolled into an Iron Fist movie imo.

psylockolussus 07-15-2013 09:55 PM

A movie for Shang Chi wouldn't do well at the box-office!

cherokeesam 07-15-2013 10:38 PM

Why on earth would a kung-fu movie not do well at the box office?
Okay, we're not talking blockbuster material, clearly, but kung fu flicks are a staple of action movies and virtually every action star since the 1960s has done at least a stint or three in them.

Still, if Marvel was even remotely serious about Shang-Chi (given IMDB's poor credibility, I strongly doubt this), I'd think it'd be a lot more wise to roll up all the '70s B-movie action flick superhero types into a proper Heroes for Hire movie or TV show, where they belong: Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Shang-Chi, Misty Knight, Colleen Wing, White Tiger.

Ant-manic 07-15-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokeesam (Post 26365441)
Okay, we're not talking blockbuster material, clearly, but kung fu flicks are a staple of action movies and virtually every action star since the 1960s has done at least a stint or three in them.

Still, if Marvel was even remotely serious about Shang-Chi (given IMDB's poor credibility, I strongly doubt this), I'd think it'd be a lot more wise to roll up all the '70s B-movie action flick superhero types into a proper Heroes for Hire movie or TV show, where they belong: Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Shang-Chi, Misty Knight, Colleen Wing, White Tiger.

i disagree. i think they should devote a phase to movies like this (Punisher, Daredevil, Shang Chi, Iron Fist, and Luke). but i don't think a Heroes for Hire movie (like you're describing) would work. they could get away with a crossover of Iron Fist and Luke Cage; after presenting both solo properties. but i think it'd be wrongheaded to try to shoehorn Shang into the Heroes for Hire mold. he's not a hired hero. he's a secret agent. he has a cast of his own and an agenda. Misty could appear first in Cage's movie (and maybe even as a linking character in Daredevil and/or Punisher as part of the NYPD). Colleen could appear in Iron Fist; as the daughter of a professor researching Kunlun. and then those two could meet and team up in the Iron Fist/Cage crossover. but that's just how i would do it.

psylockolussus 07-15-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

The only kung-fu flicks that did well in the past few years are Kung Fu Panda and the Kung-Fu Kid which is a remake.

blalex620 07-16-2013 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ant-manic (Post 26365563)
i disagree. i think they should devote a phase to movies like this (Punisher, Daredevil, Shang Chi, Iron Fist, and Luke). but i don't think a Heroes for Hire movie (like you're describing) would work. they could get away with a crossover of Iron Fist and Luke Cage; after presenting both solo properties. but i think it'd be wrongheaded to try to shoehorn Shang into the Heroes for Hire mold. he's not a hired hero. he's a secret agent. he has a cast of his own and an agenda. Misty could appear first in Cage's movie (and maybe even as a linking character in Daredevil and/or Punisher as part of the NYPD). Colleen could appear in Iron Fist; as the daughter of a professor researching Kunlun. and then those two could meet and team up in the Iron Fist/Cage crossover. but that's just how i would do it.

We won't be seeing any of the more violent hardcore heroes til at least 2020 if even then. And I think Marvel would introduce Luke Cage and Iron Fist together as Heroes for Hire if they did a movie first. The only way I could see them introduced separately is if they introduced them on the S.H.I.E.L.D. show.

cherokeesam 07-16-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ant-manic (Post 26365563)

Ideally, my dream scenario would be for Marvel to create a TV-MA cable series for Heroes for Hire with Cage and Rand as the core characters, and a rotating ensemble of other "Marvel Knights," including Daredevil, Moon Knight, Punisher, Blade and even Ghost Rider with recurring (albeit not truly permanent) roles.

Hypestyle 07-16-2013 11:10 AM

why not Shang Chi? As long as he's not played by Johnny Depp.

T"Challa 07-16-2013 12:54 PM

Yeah, Marvel can make lower budget movies for street heroes like Shang Chi, Cage, Iron Fist, Daredevil etc. Most of these could be done for 20-30 million.

cherokeesam 07-16-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T"Challa (Post 26369293)
Yeah, Marvel can make lower budget movies for street heroes like Shang Chi, Cage, Iron Fist, Daredevil etc. Most of these could be done for 20-30 million.

That was originally part of Marvel Studios' plan, according to Avi back before the Avengers came out. They planned to release "small" budget (20-30 million) films in addition to the blockbuster range of 150(ish) million budgets. So far, that strategy has never been realized; and it's a damn shame, considering how many great street-level heroes Marvel has on the shelf gathering dust --- Daredevil, Punisher, Ghost Rider, Blade, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Shang-Chi, Moon Knight, Cloak & Dagger, Elektra...

Endeavor 07-17-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

I'd think it'd be a lot more wise to ... proper Heroes for Hire movie : Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Shang-Chi, Misty Knight, Colleen Wing, White Tiger.

This

Endeavor 07-17-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psylockolussus (Post 26365987)
The only kung-fu flicks that did well in the past few years are Kung Fu Panda and the Kung-Fu Kid which is a remake.

2 words: Kill Bill

T"Challa 07-17-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokeesam (Post 26369641)
That was originally part of Marvel Studios' plan, according to Avi back before the Avengers came out. They planned to release "small" budget (20-30 million) films in addition to the blockbuster range of 150(ish) million budgets. So far, that strategy has never been realized; and it's a damn shame, considering how many great street-level heroes Marvel has on the shelf gathering dust --- Daredevil, Punisher, Ghost Rider, Blade, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Shang-Chi, Moon Knight, Cloak & Dagger, Elektra...

Agreed. The Raid had a budget of 1 million. If you make a Shang Chi movie of that caliber and slap the Marvel logo on it, you could be looking at a very profitable movie.

T"Challa 07-17-2013 12:47 PM

Heroes for Hire is practically begging for a TV show. Its the perfect concept and setup for a procedural.

Hypestyle 07-31-2013 09:53 AM

not sure why this hasn't had more momentum yet. The Fu Manchu legal hassle can't be the hang-up. Just name his dad something else.

Hypestyle 08-09-2013 12:10 PM

now that The Wolverine has succeeded, there is less of an excuse to explore some martial arts action in the MCU, especially in exotic locales.

Endeavor 08-09-2013 01:03 PM

I wanted the Ninja clan to be named as The Hand. I guess they saved it for another story... there is a 2 year gap to explore... Probably Yukio and him will head to Madripoor.

Destructus86 08-09-2013 01:43 PM

sounds decent. But I still want a Punisher movie under Marvel.

CyclopsWasRight 08-09-2013 03:25 PM

Iron Fist > Shang Chi

metaphysician 08-10-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endeavor (Post 26597213)
I wanted the Ninja clan to be named as The Hand. I guess they saved it for another story... there is a 2 year gap to explore... Probably Yukio and him will head to Madripoor.

I suspect they couldn't name it the Hand. The Hand rights were almost certainly part of the Daredevil license, and they lost that last year.

metaphysician 08-10-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by droidwarrior (Post 26598431)
Iron Fist > Shang Chi

I would generally agree. However, I think Shang Chi would be a little easier to adapt, in a "do it quick and cheap" sense. Iron Fist would require a great deal more effort, because there are more ( and more fantastic ) necessary mythos efforts. Plus the tone being really critical to get right.

Hypestyle 08-11-2013 06:37 PM

I wonder does the guy who played Han in the Fast & Furious movies know about Shang Chi? Especially after the end of pt. 6, I guess he's open to new franchise possibilities.