The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Star Wars: Episodes IV - VI (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=583)
-   -   Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions? (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=463223)

Soapy 08-06-2013 10:18 PM

Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
The Special Editions of Star Wars have caused no small amount of controversy among certain fans of the franchise, but for me personally I prefer them to the original theatrical versions quite a bit.

http://www.gbposters.com/images/orig.../star-wars.jpg

http://www.hollywookiee.com/wp-conte...oots_first.jpg

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...per_Search.png

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../Jabba-ANH.png

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...e_of_Yavin.png

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...kyscrapers.png

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...rikes_Back.jpg

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...s_Snootles.png

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...elebration.png

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...hosts-ROTJ.png

With those pictures I tried to give a broad, but accurate sense of the kinds of changes that have been made. Obviously some of them have been more positive than others.

In no way am I claiming that all the changes were smart, I have my own issues with them as well. (Especially with how sloppily certain changes have been implemented.) Yes, some of them make you want to roll your eyes, and a couple make you want to vomit (I'm looking at you Max Rebo Band), but I feel like overall when you look at the big picture, we've had a net gain with the special editions that sometimes improves the movies subtly and other times substantially.

I really hope that Disney and Lucas continue to tinker with them for future releases, and don't give in to the demands of some fans and shelve them in favor of the original versions*.

*Which isn't to say that I want them to do the opposite. I think the theatrical versions should absolutely get released as well and I think it's ridiculous that Lucas has tried so hard to bury them. At the very, very least the original Star Wars ought to be released. It isn't just a good movie, it's actually important to the history of cinema and should be released even if only to serve as historical document.

Gianakin_ 08-07-2013 01:24 AM

Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
I'm with you. A couple changes weren't needed, but overall I like the SE more, especially when I do a marathon.

Bim 08-07-2013 10:28 PM

Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
I prefer the SE over the originals any day of the week, and i'm one who saw the OOT on the big screen, so lol. So to answer ur question nope, ur not alone :highfive:

I dont really care if the OOT ever get released or not, because i know i wont be buying them anyways.

ThePhantasm 08-07-2013 10:34 PM

Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
I like the ESB Special Edition. Not the other two.

NewYorkSpider 08-09-2013 12:09 AM

Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
The only thing I really hated was Anakin's force ghost at the end. Everything else was perfect.

Human Torch 08-09-2013 06:33 PM

Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
^ same here.

I like Old Anakin/Yub Nub song better.But most of the time I'll just take out the SE and slip in the OV for that scene,so no big deal.:woot:

Soapy 08-09-2013 08:09 PM

Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewYorkSpider (Post 26594089)
The only thing I really hated was Anakin's force ghost at the end. Everything else was perfect.

Personally I don't mind Hayden being inserted into the ending, because when you look at the two trilogies as a whole, I feel like the other guy isn't really in it enough to justify being there at the end with Obi-Wan and Yoda.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Human Torch (Post 26600129)
^ same here.

I like Old Anakin/Yub Nub song better.But most of the time I'll just take out the SE and slip in the OV for that scene,so no big deal.:woot:


Not liking young Anakin in Jedi? I get it. I don't agree, but I get. However, this fixation people have with ****ing Yub Nub I don't think I'll ever understand. It's such a dopey, awful little song. Care to explain why that one is better than the other one?

pr0xyt0xin 08-09-2013 08:15 PM

Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soapy (Post 26600795)
Personally I don't mind Hayden being inserted into the ending, because when you look at the two trilogies as a whole, I feel like the other guy isn't really in it enough to justify being there at the end with Obi-Wan and Yoda.




Not liking young Anakin in Jedi? I get it. I don't agree, but I get. However, this fixation people have with ****ing Yub Nub I don't think I'll ever understand. It's such a dopey, awful little song. Care to explain why that one is better than the other one?

The awkward thing is most of the changes seem to be made to fit the original trilogy in with the prequel trilogy, particularly the ghost of course. But Yub Nub has a very prequel feel to it. Much like the theme during the Naboo celebration in phantom menace

Human Torch 08-10-2013 03:16 AM

Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soapy (Post 26600795)
Personally I don't mind Hayden being inserted into the ending, because when you look at the two trilogies as a whole, I feel like the other guy isn't really in it enough to justify being there at the end with Obi-Wan and Yoda.




Not liking young Anakin in Jedi? I get it. I don't agree, but I get. However, this fixation people have with ****ing Yub Nub I don't think I'll ever understand. It's such a dopey, awful little song. Care to explain why that one is better than the other one?

It just feels right to me.Like a gospel sounding celebration marking the return of the "good side" of the Force.And it ends the saga (at least it did for the time being) on a joyful,upbeat note.The Zampher pan flute thing just gets me depressed.Like I need a hanky or something.:oldrazz:

Thoix 08-10-2013 04:24 AM

Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
I think the newer 2011 versions are the best version of thr trilogy. Greedo and Han shoot practically at the same time, thus removing one of my only two issues with th me Special Editions. My other issue is with the Jedi Rocks song, but Lapti Nek is not much better and feels a bit more dated. I like the rest of all the additions/changes to the trilogy, especially the new ending music for Return of the Jedi.

On top of that the movies have never looked or sounded better.

Farren 08-11-2013 12:31 PM

Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
I prefer the OOT but I have nothing against the SE being out there. The only "controversial" thing for me is GL's attempt to bury the OOT.

vinsanity 08-11-2013 01:29 PM

Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Farren (Post 26612935)
I prefer the OOT but I have nothing against the SE being out there. The only "controversial" thing for me is GL's attempt to bury the OOT.

This

DCW 08-14-2013 01:48 AM

Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePhantasm (Post 26584401)
I like the ESB Special Edition. Not the other two.

Interesting you say that because that's the episode that really pushed me over to the OOT side. The insertion of Vader flying back to his star destroyer near the end really annoyed me for some reason. It interrupts the building tension of the scene IMO. And the RotJ footage is a little distracting for me as well.

That being said, I don't hate the SE's. I just prefer to watch the OOT.

JOlsen 08-14-2013 02:17 AM

Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
The only change I found unnecessary was Han Solo not shooting Greedo first. Changes his character from being more scummy to more heroic right from the start. This makes his turn around later less effective.

guitarking 08-14-2013 03:07 AM

Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
I HATE the Special Editions. Hopefully JJ Abrahms will get the real versions released on Blu Ray.

justpassinby 08-16-2013 05:24 PM

Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soapy (Post 26600795)
Personally I don't mind Hayden being inserted into the ending, because when you look at the two trilogies as a whole, I feel like the other guy isn't really in it enough to justify being there at the end with Obi-Wan and Yoda.

Dude's been revealed as the guy behind the mask in the previous scene, and now he shows up again with his afterlife facelift. Heard this argument a couple times before, never got it - HE hasn't been in it much, but in-universe, he's BEEN DARTH VADER THE WHOLE TIME, and then only has one scene where he shows his face (for obvious dramatic reasons). Of course it's the same bloke in the ghost scene, that's what Vader looks like after all.

Agree with Yub - always found that one corny; way too frolic in a cringe-inducing kind of way, Sounds like Diabetes. New one's very good (minus "wesa free", of course), even though I'm not sure if maybe some kind of other tune/atmosphere would've matched that scene better.
But it does capture the sort of melancholic, bittersweet mood that came immediately before, instead of throwing it all away for a corny dance party ending, so more power to it.

All the other major (= noticeable) changes I'd pretty much have rather cut out or maybe as an "alternative DVD version" or something. Some are very good by themselves (new Emperor, the ****ing Jabba scene; heck even the Wampa) but just kind of feel out of place, others (like the Tattoine arrival sequence, or Jedi Rocks) would qualify as hilarious DVD easter eggs but **** are they annoying in the movie.
The awkward Greedo shot first shot, complete with Han's epic head bob, would've been IDEAL for a DVD gag, as well, now that I think about it.


As for the minor ones... sorry, would anyone know where I can watch the OOT again, in good quality? Anywhere on the web by any chance? I'm kind of confused there... :dry:

jonathancrane 08-16-2013 05:28 PM

Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarking (Post 26637145)
I HATE the Special Editions. Hopefully JJ Abrahms will get the real versions released on Blu Ray.

Abrams does not have a say in the marketing, sadly. He only has input into media connected to his trilogy.

The only two changes that bothered me with the SE was Greedo shooting first and Vader's NOOOOO in ROTJ.

BrlntDsgse 09-08-2013 12:28 AM

Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
It's a tossup for me...there is definitely some cool stuff inserted into the Special Editions, but the stuff that is bad is REALLY BAD and distracting (Han/Greedo scene, Jabba's band, the Sarlaac pit, Vader's "NOOO!!!", Hayden ghost). It got to the point where Lucas was just changing things for the sake of changing things. It'll be really cool in a few years when Disney gives us hi-def remastered versions of the originals and those of us who are good w/editing can then create our OWN special editions keeping many of the updated effects while ditching the unnecessary changes.

Jochimus 09-08-2013 12:37 PM

Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Farren (Post 26612935)
The only "controversial" thing for me is GL's attempt to bury the OOT.

This, pretty much. I don't mind the SE for the sake of having a "less old-looking" version of the trilogy for younger audiences to enjoy, but trying to CGIify the OOT out of existence is just plain stupid. I don't suppose it would ever occur to Lucas he might have actually made MORE money by providing alternate-cut DVDs a la "Blade Runner" or even "Alien", where you can have the original theatrical version AND the director's preferred version?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOlsen
The only change I found unnecessary was Han Solo not shooting Greedo first. Changes his character from being more scummy to more heroic right from the start. This makes his turn around later less effective.

Also this. Having Greedo shoot first actually DAMAGES Han's arc of evolving toward being a more heroic and selfless figure instead of helping it. At least we still have the Cairo Swordsman. :cwink:

Other than that, most of the changes in the SE I don't mind, since there's a few of them where Lucas does exhibit some logic in making said changes that makes at least a little sense (McDiarmid as Palpatine in ESB, making Mos Eisley - a city that's supposed to be a bustling spaceport - actually 'bustling', Morrisson voicing adult Boba), and there's actually a few I rather like (mostly in ANH - the second version of the Jabba scene, some of the space shots of the Falcon where it moves less like a lumbering slab of metal and more like the Fastest Hunk o'Junk in the Galaxy, Dewbacks that actually move, etc...though I also like the final celebration number at the end of ROTJ, even though the Ewoks' drumbeats on those Imperial helmets are completely out of rhythm with it...).

Happy Jack 09-12-2013 12:17 AM

Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
There are some changes I like, like the enhanced Cloud City in Empire. Most of the decent ones were on the first special editions on VHS before Episode 1 was released. But the majority of the alterations are garbage.

Superman Prime 10-23-2013 03:45 PM

Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
I guess if I wanted to warp my mind to marry the PT to the OT, then the Special Edition would help with that. But they're irreconcilable to me. The two trilogies are oil and water.

That's EVEN IF you like the prequels.

Soapy 10-23-2013 04:22 PM

Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by justpassinby (Post 26654793)
Dude's been revealed as the guy behind the mask in the previous scene, and now he shows up again with his afterlife facelift. Heard this argument a couple times before, never got it - HE hasn't been in it much, but in-universe, he's BEEN DARTH VADER THE WHOLE TIME, and then only has one scene where he shows his face (for obvious dramatic reasons). Of course it's the same bloke in the ghost scene, that's what Vader looks like after all.

In-universe that guy never existed. There was never an kind-looking old Anakin Skywalker complete with Jedi robes. Never happened. The only time he ever appeared that way, was in those few seconds as a force ghost.

Between the two options that we've got, Anakin reverting back to the way he looked before he joined the Sith and became Darth Vader makes much more sense to me than Anakin completely changing his appearance to that of a kind old Jedi after death. I mean, force ghost Darth Vader would make more sense than old man Anakin arbitrarily growing his hair out and throwing on a Jedi costume.

DCW 10-25-2013 05:23 PM

Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
Just bit the bullet and finally picked up the classic trilogy on blu ray. While I still don't like the Hayden ghost, consider me a convert to the special editions. I was really impressed with all three movies. Very happy with this set.

Drizzle 11-03-2013 07:28 PM

Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
There were more bad changes than good ones. The only improvement was ditching the Yub Nub song at the end of ROTJ for a more mature score. I don't think there's anything wrong with the ESB special edition. Some of the added effects shots to ANH are fine, like the shot of the X-Wings approaching the Death Star.

The Jabba scene in ANH may seem okay on paper, but the CG Jabba is horrendous. The version they created for the 2004 DVD release is only a slight improvement over the 1997 abomination. Han shooting first doesn't bother me as much as it does others, but it's still unnecessary. I'm actually more bothered by the change to Obi-Wan scaring away the Sand People and Vader's "NOOO!" in ROTJ. The CG creatures and droids added to Mos Eisley are pointless, and those effects actually look more dated than some of the practical effects from 1977. But the absolute worst thing about the special editions is that awful "Jedi Rocks" song. I actually liked it when I first saw the ROTJ Special Edition in 1997, but that's because I was an 8 year old kid who didn't know any better. It is just cringe-worthy. The original one wasn't that great either, but at least it wasn't an eye sore to watch and dare I say it was a lot more subtle. I'm not a fan of seeing Hayden Christensen either, but it sort of makes sense in context.

I'm actually surprised that George didn't add anything into the prequels besides TPM when they were released on DVD. Revenge of the Sith could have actually benefitted a bit from its deleted scenes (Padme and Bail Organa starting the rebellion, Yoda arriving on Dagobah).

Blitzkrieg Bop 11-04-2013 12:33 PM

Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?
 
I don't mind that Lucas wanted to "finish/correct" the trilogy. Some of the changes are appropriate and make sense. However, it's the bad choices that keep me from liking the special editions. The reasoning for Han to shoot Greedo in self-defense is flimsy; to make Han look less like a scoundrel? The same guy who tells the hero to stick the revolution up his ass, he's only in it for the money? Please. Then there's the new Emperor in TESB. He shocks Vader with the truth of Luke being the son of Skywalker. Earlier in the movie, Vader says "That is the system and I'm sure Skywalker is there with them." So, what, is Skywalker a common name around the galaxy? It's all this afterthought that contradicts decisions made 30 years ago that I find to be detrimental to the movies.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com, A property of CraveOnline, a divison of AtomicOnline, LLC © 2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.