The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Misc. Comics Films (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Underrated CB movies (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=463257)

Green Goblin 08-07-2013 01:25 PM

Underrated CB movies

I made a thread with the most over rated so here's for the CB film's that we underrate. I'd say it's TIH, Ang Lee's Hulk and possibly Dredd.

Wesley Dodds 08-07-2013 01:31 PM

Re: Underrated CB movies

Yeah, Dredd's as under-rated as they come.

I'll add:

30 Days of Night
The Incredible Hulk
The Rocketeer

Lord 08-07-2013 01:33 PM

Ang Lee's Hulk

Victarion 08-07-2013 01:59 PM

Ang Lee's Hulk. The only thing I didn't like about it was the comic frame layout. The plot was good.

Hellboy II. One of the best fantasy films we've gotten.

SpideyFan866 08-07-2013 02:59 PM

Ang Lee's Hulk

Fantastic Four (2005)

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

Spider-Man 3

Watchmen

Batman Forever

Ghost Rider (2007)

Senator Pleasury 08-07-2013 03:17 PM

Ang Lee's Hulk

Batman 89

Superman Returns

X-Men: The Last Stand.

CyclopsWasRight 08-07-2013 03:39 PM

Ang Lee's Hulk (really like this)

Spider-Man

Hellboy & Hellboy 2

Watchmen

Thor

Batman Forevor

jonathancrane 08-07-2013 03:46 PM

Hellboy II
Daredevil: The Director's Cut

Human Torch 08-07-2013 03:51 PM

Much like the "overrated" topic,I'll point out my criteria: This first group is legitimately "Great" films that for whatever reason don't get the credit they deserve:

Spider-Man 3
X3 The Last Stand
Daredevil (theatrical)
The Incredible Hulk
Batman Forever
Iron Man 2

The next group aren't "Great",but turn up on "Worst" lists,when in fairness they're good,just not exemplary examples of the genre:

Origins Wolverine
Green Lantern
Both Fantastic Four films
Both Ghost Rider films

I'll go out on a limb and say Superman IV.I've always found it very watchable (much more so than Superman III).Not a great film,by any means,but Reeve & Hackman together are Gold in my book.

CyclopsWasRight 08-07-2013 03:57 PM

I've seen Superman III & IV so many times, they are just plain and simple fun to watch

Green Goblin 08-07-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Human Torch (Post 26581001)
Much like the "overrated" topic,I'll point out my criteria: This first group is legitimately "Great" films that for whatever reason don't get the credit they deserve:

Spider-Man 3
X3 The Last Stand
Daredevil (theatrical)
The Incredible Hulk
Batman Forever
Iron Man 2

The next group aren't "Great",but turn up on "Worst" lists,when in fairness they're good,just not exemplary examples of the genre:

Origins Wolverine
Green Lantern
Both Ghost Rider films

I'll go out on a limb and say Superman IV.I've always found it very watchable (much more so than Superman III).Not a great film,by any means,but Reeve & Hackman together are Gold in my book.

May I ask why you think SM3 is great?

Senator Pleasury 08-07-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder (Post 26581143)

My thought exactly.

Green Goblin 08-07-2013 04:27 PM

Poor Spider-Man 3... I almost feel sorry for it at times.

Tony Stark 08-07-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Because he has a different opinion than you. :wow:

Human Torch 08-07-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

I think a better question would be,why is SM3 hated?

To be honest,the only examples I've seen are either "Peter dancing/air gunning people" (It's a scant few minutes.Even if you hated those two minutes,how does that nullify the other 2hrs and 18 minutes?I hated the extreme close up of Batman's butt in Batman Forever,but it's ten seconds in an otherwise solid film )

The other is the "MJ is a shrew" complaints.I find it funny that I'm not a stickler for realism,but I seem to be one of the few that finds the realistic approach to Pete & MJ's relationship refreshing.It's not perfect,but what relationship is?

Not to cop out on the question,but I'd say I enjoyed most of it.It would be easier to say what I didn't like:

The purist in me hates the retcon of Ben's death,but I felt it worthwhile in the end,since there wasn't much that could turn Pete to the Dark Side.Having Pete think Uncle Ben's killer was still out there was the perfect catalyst.

Harry's storyline really should've gotten it's own film.It gets put on the back burner for most of the film,and there had to be a better solution than having the "Butler" resolve the plot.

The "New Goblin" costume was crap.But I can't fault them after the merciless teasing the Green Gobin's costume took from fanboys.You get what you deserve,I suppose.

Lord 08-07-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Human Torch (Post 26581001)

Spider-Man 3
X3 The Last Stand
Daredevil (theatrical)
The Incredible Hulk
Batman Forever
Iron Man 2

Origins Wolverine
Green Lantern
Both Ghost Rider films

X-men Origins Wolverine was terrible, the most basic example of a bad film.

Human Torch 08-07-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord (Post 26582209)
X-men Origins Wolverine was terrible, the most basic example of a bad film.

This is another film I don't get the repulsion.It's only flaw,IMO was having a Sabertooth that neither looked nor acted like his previous incarnation.But I've yet to hear a compelling reason as to why this movie is supposedly so awful.

Xak-Ell 08-07-2013 08:55 PM

-batman forever
-superman returns
-ghost rider
-dredd
-watchmen
-hellboy II
-green lantern
-thor
-fantastic four
-star trek
-constantine

Kahran Ramsus 08-08-2013 12:32 AM

Daredevil: Director's Cut. One of my favorite comic book movies. It was sank by a combination of bitterness over the Theatrical Cut, Ben Affleck hype backlash, and being too dark and gloomy for a time in which the ideal comic book film was Spider-Man.

I think it would be better received if it came out today.

Senator Pleasury 08-08-2013 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Human Torch (Post 26582171)
I think a better question would be,why is SM3 hated?

To be honest,the only examples I've seen are either "Peter dancing/air gunning people" (It's a scant few minutes.Even if you hated those two minutes,how does that nullify the other 2hrs and 18 minutes?I hated the extreme close up of Batman's butt in Batman Forever,but it's ten seconds in an otherwise solid film )

The other is the "MJ is a shrew" complaints.I find it funny that I'm not a stickler for realism,but I seem to be one of the few that finds the realistic approach to Pete & MJ's relationship refreshing.It's not perfect,but what relationship is?

Not to cop out on the question,but I'd say I enjoyed most of it.It would be easier to say what I didn't like:

The purist in me hates the retcon of Ben's death,but I felt it worthwhile in the end,since there wasn't much that could turn Pete to the Dark Side.Having Pete think Uncle Ben's killer was still out there was the perfect catalyst.

Harry's storyline really should've gotten it's own film.It gets put on the back burner for most of the film,and there had to be a better solution than having the "Butler" resolve the plot.

The "New Goblin" costume was crap.But I can't fault them after the merciless teasing the Green Gobin's costume took from fanboys.You get what you deserve,I suppose.

Senator Pleasury thanks you for your detailed reply. :up:

I'll just refer to the "few seconds ruining a whole movie" subject you mention. I see it the following way: it's like saying that a tiny little fly on the plate can ruin your soup. Or that a little black spot can ruin the whole white carpet. I seriously believe a few seconds and/or scenes can actually ruin a movie.

spider-neil 08-08-2013 10:55 AM

Ang Lee's Hulk
ASM
Dredd (with the general audience)

spider-neil 08-08-2013 10:59 AM

SM3 is no where as bad as some people make out. It's certainly entertaining. The set peices are great, the dancing cracks me up and the Sandman 'birth' is beautiful.

I have seen a lot of rubbish superhero movies and whilst SM3 isn't exactly 'good' I don't think it deserves to be lumped in with the likes of Batman and Robin, a movie with almost zero redeeming qualities.

Green Goblin 08-08-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spider-neil (Post 26587737)
Ang Lee's Hulk
ASM
Dredd (with the general audience)

How is Amazing underrated? It's tied with SM2 on RT (both 4/5)

spider-neil 08-08-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbluewonder (Post 26588115)
how is amazing underrated? It's tied with sm2 on rt (both 4/5)

sm 2 93%
asm 73%

rt

Senator Pleasury 08-08-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spider-neil (Post 26587759)
SM3 is no where as bad as some people make out. It's certainly entertaining. The set peices are great, the dancing cracks me up and the Sandman 'birth' is beautiful.

I have seen a lot of rubbish superhero movies and whilst SM3 isn't exactly 'good' I don't think it deserves to be lumped in with the likes of Batman and Robin, a movie with almost zero redeeming qualities.

Some could say - and have - that B&R is certainly entertaining. The set pieces are great, the freeze puns crack them up and the scene between Alfred and Bruce is beautiful.