The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Misc. Comics Films (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Best Comic Book movie of the summer? (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=464021)

AVEITWITHJAMON 08-21-2013 10:44 AM

Best Comic Book movie of the summer?

Thor 2 still has a while to come out, but this summer brought us a lot of CBM's that all had varied levels of success and popularity. The 3 big CBM's released in the summer have done pretty well at the BO and more people seemed to like them than dislike them, but which one did you think was the best?

I havent seen Kick-Ass 2 yet so wont be voting until I do, but everyone else please vote away.

Thoix 08-21-2013 10:50 AM

Re: Best Comic Book movie of the summer?

1. Man of Steel
2. Kick-Ass 2
3. The Wolverine
4. Iron Man 3

Green Goblin 08-21-2013 11:02 AM

TW. Didn't like the rest.

NosfeRomas 08-21-2013 12:47 PM

1. Man of Steel
2. The Wolverine
3. Kick Ass 2
4. Iron Man 3

kane9321 08-21-2013 01:26 PM

1) man of steel
2) kick ass
3) the wolverine
4) iron man 3

StarLord 08-21-2013 01:26 PM

Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, Kick-Ass 2 and The Wolverine.

BatmanGoesToRio 08-21-2013 01:53 PM

To be honest:
Man Of Steel sucked, The Wolverine sucked and, sadly enough, Kick-Ass 2 sucked, too. Iron Man 3 was pretty good, though.

BH/HHH 08-21-2013 02:26 PM

Man of Steel

ChukNoris 08-21-2013 02:30 PM

I loved Wolverine and IM3, didn't like the others

1. Wolverine
2. IM3
3. Kick-Ass 2
4. Man of Steel

def28 08-21-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChukNoris (Post 26689349)

1. Wolverine
2. IM3
3. Kick-Ass 2
4. Man of Steel

This. I enjoyed them all though.

Kahran Ramsus 08-21-2013 02:49 PM

I have to go based on my first impressions so my pick may change after multiple viewings especially since there wasn't a blowaway winner. But for right now, I have to say I liked The Wolverine just a little bit more than Iron Man 3. Mainly because I felt the action in Wolverine was more inventive (especially the bullet train sequence), the setting was more exotic (Japan vs. Tennessee), and I thought Iron Man 3 dragged a lot at the beginning, taking too long for the plot to really get going. But emotionally it just connected with me more, especially with regards to the way they dealt with their respective PTSDs. In The Wolverine, it is a very real problem that consumes Logan and the bulk of the film and his relationship with Mariko is built around him overcoming it. In Iron Man 3, it is more of an afterthought really only affecting Stark when the plot required it to and resolved far too easily. The plot of Iron Man 3 was interesting and the villains and third act were better, but I cared more about the characters in The Wolverine.

Kick-Ass 2 and Man of Steel weren't awful, but they were tremendously disappointing and not at the level of the other two.

Rankings:

1) The Wolverine 7/10
2) Iron Man 3 7/10
3) Man of Steel 6/10
4) Kick-Ass 2 6/10

CyclopsWasRight 08-21-2013 03:16 PM

1. The Wolverine
2. Man of Steel
3. Kick Ass 2
4. Iron Man 3

Steamteck 08-21-2013 06:10 PM

(1) by a country mile-- Man of Steel
(2) surprisingly good film-- The Wolverine
(3) not up to the original but still fun--Kick Ass 2
(4) Seriously damaged my faith in Marvel-- Iron man 3 ( only because there aren't any other superhero movies of the summer I can think of for the summer or it would be right out)

DACrowe 08-21-2013 06:14 PM

Well this year was kind of the "disappointment year" wasn't it? Not one film was really good per se, or at least exceptional. Though The Wolverine was much better than most thought it'd be, so I guess it has that going for it.

1) Man of Steel: 7/10
2) Iron Man 3: 7/10
3) Kick-Ass 2: 6.5/10
4) The Wolverine 6.5/10

Well, Thor has an easy road to be the "best superhero movie of the year." So good luck to that.

Also strangely, I already know that Kick-Ass 2 will be the only one I revisit more than once on DVD. I can just feel it.

Kahran Ramsus 08-21-2013 06:50 PM

Yeah. None of the comic book films this summer were really great, although I enjoyed all four.

I'm sure Iron Man 3 will probably be the one I rewatch the most, but that's mostly because he's been my favorite superhero for over 20 years. So I'm biased in that regard.

flickchick85 08-21-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DACrowe (Post 26690923)
Well this year was kind of the "disappointment year" wasn't it?

Yep. I LIKED all of them, but none of them as much as I had hoped to...with the exception of Kick-Ass 2. That one exceeded my expectations, but only because my expectations there were pretty damn low.

Snow Queen 08-21-2013 08:31 PM

1) The Wolverine
2) Man of Steel
3) Iron Man 3

I can't see Kick Ass 2 until the Blu Ray hits though, I chose to see Elysium over it.

lordofthenerds 08-21-2013 08:52 PM

Haven't seen Kick Ass 2 yet.
1. The Wolverine
2. Iron Man 3
3. Man of Steel

Pretty much the opposite of what I was expecting.

smallville fan 08-21-2013 09:21 PM

Loved Man of Steel as it had cool stuff Iron Man 3 failed to achieve, Wolverine was boring and underwhelming (mainly because I feel Wolverine is overrated and overexposed), Iron Man 3 was a let down on so many levels, mainly stemming from that idiotic plot twist. Hopefully Thor 2 won't disappoint.

Zeus 08-21-2013 09:38 PM

1) Man of Steel
2) Wolverine
3) Kick Ass

4) Iron man 3

DACrowe 08-21-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flickchick85 (Post 26691531)
Yep. I LIKED all of them, but none of them as much as I had hoped to...with the exception of Kick-Ass 2. That one exceeded my expectations, but only because my expectations there were pretty damn low.

Strangely, while Kick-Ass 2 is the most poor in terms of craftsmanship, direction, arguably writing (IM3 and The Wolverine's scripts were fairly weak too)...I did have the best time watching it. I laughed throughout. But I do think IM3 and MOS are just better made films without scenes that are just cringe-inducing as well...save for Superman leveling Metropolis and all the 9/11 imagery there. I think Snyder really is oblivious in some ways to what audiences want.

Anyway, it is a curious and perplexing thing, in my opinion.

batfreakforever 08-21-2013 10:27 PM

Really, why when destruction in a film is portrayed Americans always have to bring up 9/11??? What you can't just watch a movie.

batfreakforever 08-21-2013 10:28 PM

Just because a city gets destroyed makes it 9/11 imagery. No it does not.

flickchick85 08-21-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DACrowe (Post 26692357)
Strangely, while Kick-Ass 2 is the most poor in terms of craftsmanship, direction, arguably writing (IM3 and The Wolverine's scripts were fairly weak too)...I did have the best time watching it. I laughed throughout. But I do think IM3 and MOS are just better made films without scenes that are just cringe-inducing as well...save for Superman leveling Metropolis and all the 9/11 imagery there. I think Snyder really is oblivious in some ways to what audiences want.

Anyway, it is a curious and perplexing thing, in my opinion.

I have a similar feeling. In terms of pure craftsmanship, IM3 trumps KA2 easily, imo. But I simply enjoyed KA2 more. And yet MoS is the one that got my vote, because I think it's somewhere in between the two, both in terms of craftsmanship AND the enjoyment factor, so it ended up being the most satisfying overall experience for me. Well that, and the added joy of finally seeing a solid Non-Donnerverse take on Superman, something I'd always wanted to see.

So lots of conflicting thoughts on all of them for me, but the one constant that they all share is the nagging thought of wasted potential that clouds them all to to varying degrees for me.

KA2 is the only one that I felt had even more potential to be worse than it did to be better (considering Wadlow's past work and the abysmal comic it's based on), so that's how it ended up being the only one to exceed my expectations, lol. Just a weird summer for blockbusters all around, really.

DACrowe 08-21-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batfreakforever (Post 26692455)
Really, why when destruction in a film is portrayed Americans always have to bring up 9/11??? What you can't just watch a movie.

Because when a filmmaker deliberately puts images of planes falling into buildings and glass skyscrapers collapsing, it's intentional. Snyder WANTS you to think about 9/11. My guess is that he thought it was edgy and profound, similar to how Nolan got good notices and was well received for bringing up 9/11 imagery and War on Terror paranoia in The Dark Knight. Except when Snyder did it, it was grotesque and just numbingly stupid and awful.

And I liked that movie overall.