The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Avengers: Age Of Ultron (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=613)
-   -   War Machine Better Be in This One (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=464225)

Dasher10 08-23-2013 07:40 PM

War Machine Better Be in This One

The part that bothered me about the original Avengers wasn't so much that War Machine was absent as much as it was that he's a key Avenger in the comics. What worries me is that somebody like Falcon or Rocket Raccoon might steal Rhodey's slot in the sequel.

DarthSkywalker 08-23-2013 07:55 PM

Re: War Machine Better Be in This One

With the addition of the siblings, don't really think there is room, but we will see.

Broseph44 08-23-2013 08:37 PM

Oh boy here we go.

TheFBI 08-23-2013 08:38 PM

The only way i see Rhodes in ANY Avengers movie is if its a West Coast Avengers film Without Tony, OR if Tony quits being IM and becomes Director of Shield. Bottom line, don't bet on him being in anymore movies outside of a brief cameo

Chewy 08-23-2013 08:45 PM

I think describing War Machine as a "key Avenger" is a bit generous lol

jonathancrane 08-23-2013 09:15 PM

Why would they need him? The film is over-crowded, as it is. If there is some compulsion to have him, I would prefer they kept his role to the size of Pepper's in TA. No need to rob SW and QS of screentime....or expanding the film's length to 2.5 hours. Besides, he's already going to have a presence in CA: TWS

Dr. Evil 08-23-2013 11:02 PM

I don't think we'll see Falcon or War Machine in this movie. If we do, it may just be as Sam Wilson and James Rhodes and it may be similar to Erik Selvig or Pepper Potts.

We might not see them in Avengers 3 either. By the time the Avengers 3 comes out, we'll have already seen (Besides Thor and Cap sequels):

- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Doctor Strange
- Ant Man
- Black Panther
- Luke Cage

And all of them (except for GOTG) will probably be in Avengers 3 depending upon the plot of Avengers 3 and these other films. Heck, there are already rumored choices for Dr. Strange and BP and those two (and Luke Cage) have not been officially announced yet.

VictorShade 08-24-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewy (Post 26712015)

Agreed.

LOL!

DrCosmic 08-24-2013 07:59 PM

The higher the scale goes, the more silly it will be that a guy with an armored suit who is presumably interested in the planet still being here tomorrow doesn't even get mentioned. He should join in the final fight or *something,* though a cameo would be just fine, imho.

Blitzkrieg Bop 08-24-2013 10:04 PM

The movie Avengers only need one dude in a metal suit.

jonathancrane 08-24-2013 10:10 PM

If they bring him in for 3, that would be fine with me, as Thanos would be one of threats for them to pull in everybody, like in the Infinity Gauntlet Comic.

Dr. Evil 08-24-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrCosmic (Post 26718829)
The higher the scale goes, the more silly it will be that a guy with an armored suit who is presumably interested in the planet still being here tomorrow doesn't even get mentioned. He should join in the final fight or *something,* though a cameo would be just fine, imho.

I think we will see Falcon and War Machine in Age of Ultron as Sam Wilson and James Rhodes, but not in costume (or armor as in the case of Rhodes). An outside shot we see both in Avengers 3 in costume. Remember Wilson is also a Shield agent, so he's more likely than Rhodes to appear in Avengers 2.

Having both in Avengers 3 would increase the number of Black superheros to four: those two plus Luke Cage and Black Panther. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see Monica Rambeau or Misty Knight in the final battle (although we might see Knight in a Luke Cage movie, so we could see Knight in Avengers 3, even in a small cameo).

Wine-N-Cheese 08-24-2013 11:08 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. Pepper Potts only got a cameo in the first movie at the request of RDJ.

cherokeesam 08-24-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wine-N-Cheese (Post 26720045)
I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. Pepper Potts only got a cameo in the first movie at the request of RDJ.

Pepper Potts is only a support character in the Iron Man mythos, though. War Machine became more than that, and a bona fide superhero with an actual membership card in the Avengers (Westies, anyway). Rhodey makes canonical sense in an Avengers flick; Pepper Potts doesn't.

Wine-N-Cheese 08-25-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokeesam (Post 26720139)
Pepper Potts is only a support character in the Iron Man mythos, though. War Machine became more than that, and a bona fide superhero with an actual membership card in the Avengers (Westies, anyway). Rhodey makes canonical sense in an Avengers flick; Pepper Potts doesn't.

My point was, I think it's unlikely we'll see any supporting characters from the solo movies in A2, which is what the OP was asking for. Maybe somewhere down the line, though.

cherokeesam 08-25-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wine-N-Cheese (Post 26727257)
My point was, I think it's unlikely we'll see any supporting characters from the solo movies in A2, which is what the OP was asking for. Maybe somewhere down the line, though.

That's just it, though: War Machine is more than a supporting character. He's a West Coast Avenger, and he even spun off his own solo series for a time. There's a tendency to dismiss Rhodey as just "the black Iron Man," but he's more than that. And there's nothing wrong with Avengers getting twice the battlesuit firepower, either. They could certainly use the help.

Dr. Evil 08-25-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokeesam (Post 26728103)
That's just it, though: War Machine is more than a supporting character. He's a West Coast Avenger, and he even spun off his own solo series for a time. There's a tendency to dismiss Rhodey as just "the black Iron Man," but he's more than that. And there's nothing wrong with Avengers getting twice the battlesuit firepower, either. They could certainly use the help.

And the diversity.

metaphysician 08-25-2013 10:53 PM

I'd rather see Super Potts in A2 than Rhodey. */heresy*

Blake II 08-25-2013 11:08 PM

It'll be kind of dumb if Rhodey is always on a mission in the Middle East everytime an Avengers mission comes up lol

STR1 08-26-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blake II (Post 26728521)
It'll be kind of dumb if Rhodey is always on a mission in the Middle East everytime an Avengers mission comes up lol

This right here!

Atleast a cameo would be good.

R_Hythlodeus 08-26-2013 12:44 PM

He's a bit of a redundant character but he may take over in A4 after RDJs IM takes a recast break (IF RDJ decides not to come back)

ctsketch 08-26-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewy (Post 26712015)

ditto

ctsketch 08-26-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

he said supporting character from solo movies...and war machine in MCU is a supporting character. hell even in IM3 he barely did anything

Iron_Stark 08-26-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil (Post 26728291)
And the diversity.

If they want diversity, they should bring in Latino and Asian supers to the team and movies. As it is, they are ridiculously underrepresented in the movies even in supporting roles.

The only ones I can think of are Hogun, the asian reporter in the Hulk movie and the Latino fruit vendor in Iron Man 2.

Quote:

He was barely a West Coast Avenger. I don't know why people associate him more with the WCA than Tony. Rhodey joined the team in the first 4 limited series issues, before Tony took over for the rest of the time until he remade them into Force Works.

As far as War Machine in A2, no he shouldn't be in it except as a cameo for Rhodey without the suit. Iron Man is more than enough and with Wanda and Pietro joining the team, it would become too crowded with WM.

Dasher10 08-26-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Stark (Post 26733623)
If they want diversity, they should bring in Latino and Asian supers to the team and movies. As it is, they are ridiculously underrepresented in the movies even in supporting roles.

The only ones I can think of are Hogun, the asian reporter in the Hulk movie and the Latino fruit vendor in Iron Man 2.

That's because all the Asian and Latino heroes are X-Men. The fact remains that War Machine is an Avenger in the comics but wasn't in the first film. I'm not asking for a huge role for him but having him show up for the final battle would be nice and since he was cut out of the first film, he'd be a better fit than Falcon or Agent 13.