The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   X-Men: Days of Future Past (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=489)
-   -   X-MEN at #20 in 'The32 MostSuccessful MovieFranchises OfAllTime' (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=464673)

Angamb 08-30-2013 12:47 PM

X-MEN at #20 in 'The32 MostSuccessful MovieFranchises OfAllTime'
 
Posted this in the News thread, but since this could lead to an interesting discussion, Ill make it its own thread.

X-Men is at #20 in TotalFilm magazine's:

'The 32 Most Successful Movie Franchises Of All Time'
Bond, Star Wars, X-Men and more...

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/th...es-of-all-time

Its a cool read; and would be interesting to learn how many jumps it does next year, after Days of future past ends its run in theatres.

psylockolussus 08-30-2013 10:16 PM

Re: X-MEN at #20 in 'The32 MostSuccessful MovieFranchises OfAllTime'
 
It is also the 15th highest grossing film franchise ever!

1. Harry Potter - $7.7 B
2. James Bond
3. Marvel Cinematic Universe
4. Star Wars
5. Middle-Earth
6. Pirates of the Caribbean
7. Batman
8. Shrek
9. The Twilight Saga
10. Spider-Man
11. Ice Age
12. Transformers
13. Iron Man - $2.4 B
14. Fast & Furious - $2.3 B
15. X-Men - $2.2 B

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...grossing_films

CyclopsWasRight 08-31-2013 02:41 PM

Re: X-MEN at #20 in 'The32 MostSuccessful MovieFranchises OfAllTime'
 
Iron Man and The MCU can't be both seperate and together :doh:

I view them indvidually, Thor franchise, Cap Franchise, Avenger franchise ect...

Angamb 08-31-2013 03:09 PM

Re: X-MEN at #20 in 'The32 MostSuccessful MovieFranchises OfAllTime'
 
you made a point, but since Wolverine is also used as part of the X-Men franchise, I guess most sites do the same with Avengers and its solo movies.

Lightning Strykez! 08-31-2013 04:35 PM

Re: X-MEN at #20 in 'The32 MostSuccessful MovieFranchises OfAllTime'
 
The bottom line is Marvel is a marvel. It is dominating most of that list. Interestingly enough, DC has but one entry and technically they should have soooo much more considering how many rich characters they own. Ah well.

Angamb 08-31-2013 04:41 PM

Re: X-MEN at #20 in 'The32 MostSuccessful MovieFranchises OfAllTime'
 
if Nolan trilogy and Man of Steel were part of the same universe, 'Justice League' universe would be pretty soon in the top 10, and even 5, with next Supes sequel.

psylockolussus 08-31-2013 11:00 PM

Re: X-MEN at #20 in 'The32 MostSuccessful MovieFranchises OfAllTime'
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by droidwarrior (Post 26766783)
Iron Man and The MCU can't be both seperate and together :doh:

I view them indvidually, Thor franchise, Cap Franchise, Avenger franchise ect...

Same here. For me, "Marvel Cinematic Universe" is just a branding, and not really a film series.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! (Post 26767423)
The bottom line is Marvel is a marvel. It is dominating most of that list. Interestingly enough, DC has but one entry and technically they should have soooo much more considering how many rich characters they own. Ah well.

Agreed!

And in my opinion, Justice League has the potential to become bigger than The Avengers. But too bad, WB doesn't know what to do with Aquaman, Flash, Wonder Woman and their DC Cinematic Universe. And instead of releasing movies for the characters that I mentioned, they do TV shows for CW.

Antihero 09-01-2013 01:20 AM

Re: X-MEN at #20 in 'The32 MostSuccessful MovieFranchises OfAllTime'
 
If inflation is taken into consideration,James Bond will always be number 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by droidwarrior (Post 26766783)
Iron Man and The MCU can't be both seperate and together :doh:

I view them indvidually, Thor franchise, Cap Franchise, Avenger franchise ect...

This is exactly how I feel.


If you consider IronMan,Captain America,Thor and Hulk as Marvel Cinematic Universe,you might as well consider SpiderMan/X-Men/FF as Fox Cinematic Universe.Then,Superman/Batman should be considered as DC Cinematic Universe



Quote:

Originally Posted by psylockolussus (Post 26769217)
Same
And in my opinion, Justice League has the potential to become bigger than The Avengers. .

In terms of potential,Justice League>Avengers

psylockolussus 09-01-2013 01:35 AM

Re: X-MEN at #20 in 'The32 MostSuccessful MovieFranchises OfAllTime'
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antihero (Post 26769941)
If you consider IronMan,Captain America,Thor and Hulk as Marvel Cinematic Universe,you might as well consider SpiderMan/X-Men/FF as Fox Cinematic Universe.Then,Superman/Batman should be considered as DC Cinematic Universe.

Not really because those films weren't connected to each othr and it wasn't made it clear that they exist in 1 universe. And FOX didn't release the Spider-Man films. :oldrazz:

Though with the Batman/Superman team-up movie and Fantastic Four/X-Men team-up movie, there might be a DC Cinematic Universe and FOX Cinematic Universe.

CyclopsWasRight 09-01-2013 08:07 AM

Re: X-MEN at #20 in 'The32 MostSuccessful MovieFranchises OfAllTime'
 
But they are all made by the same studios, like the Marvel Studios ones.

Angamb 09-01-2013 08:39 AM

Re: X-MEN at #20 in 'The32 MostSuccessful MovieFranchises OfAllTime'
 
some numbers and positions of the wikipedia article doesnt match with totalfilm list and neither with boxofficemojo.

Some franchises must be missing in wikipedia if X-Men is at #20 in Totalfilm and #15 in wikipedia.

edited: Ive just seen that wikipedia doesnt include some franchises like Rocky and some others. So the list isnt correct.

GenUsername 09-01-2013 09:39 AM

Re: X-MEN at #20 in 'The32 MostSuccessful MovieFranchises OfAllTime'
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by psylockolussus (Post 26764267)
It is also the 15th highest grossing film franchise ever!

1. Harry Potter - $7.7 B
2. James Bond
3. Marvel Cinematic Universe
4. Star Wars
5. Middle-Earth
6. Pirates of the Caribbean
7. Batman
8. Shrek
9. The Twilight Saga
10. Spider-Man
11. Ice Age
12. Transformers
13. Iron Man - $2.4 B
14. Fast & Furious - $2.3 B
15. X-Men - $2.2 B

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...grossing_films

Next year it should jump and be about 13th or 14th. Unless some other franchise comes out of nowhere. Or they crap another Ice Age film out.

psylockolussus 09-01-2013 09:56 PM

Re: X-MEN at #20 in 'The32 MostSuccessful MovieFranchises OfAllTime'
 
Next year, there won't be an Ice Age film.

psylockolussus 09-01-2013 10:12 PM

Re: X-MEN at #20 in 'The32 MostSuccessful MovieFranchises OfAllTime'
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angamb (Post 26770823)
some numbers and positions of the wikipedia article doesnt match with totalfilm list and neither with boxofficemojo.

Some franchises must be missing in wikipedia if X-Men is at #20 in Totalfilm and #15 in wikipedia.

edited: Ive just seen that wikipedia doesnt include some franchises like Rocky and some others. So the list isnt correct.

Huh what? Don't tell me the Rocky films grossed over 1.5 billion WW. Its domestic box-office gross is just under 600 million.

Plus:
-The Wolverine's gross is not counted in Total film's article.
-TotalFilm's added all the box-office grosses of Alien films, Predator films, AVP films and Prometheus.
-According to Totalfilm, Jurassic Park's current earnings are 2,942,610,014 but thats incorrect according to Box-Office Mojo's tally. Jurassic Park 1 earned 1,023,553,882 while Jurassic Park 2 earned less than 650 million and Jurassic Park 3 earned less than 400 million.
-Looking at Box-Office Mojo, Jaws got 470 million WW, Jaws 2 got 187m WW, Jaws 3 got 87.9m WW and Jaws 4 got 51.8 WW. Add those up and it will not reach 1 billion. While Total Film listed that Jaws earned 2.9 billion!
-Indiana Jones didn't get over 3.5 billion. According to Box-Office Mojo, Indy 4 got 786 million WW, Indy 3 got 474 million WW, Indy 2 got 333 million WW and Indy 1 got 390 million WW (the two re-releases are counted with that.

:o

TotalFilm totally got it wrong.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com, A property of CraveOnline, a divison of AtomicOnline, LLC © 2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.