The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Avengers: Age Of Ultron (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=613)
-   -   Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed? (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=465053)

CyclopsWasRight 09-07-2013 04:34 PM

Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
Here's some facts to consider in your answer:

Iron Man has had 5 appearances spread over the 7 MCU movies.

His 5 appearances have been spread out over 5 years. That's statisticly 1 appearances a year.

Conversely the rest of the team; Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Black Widow & Hawkeye have currently had 2 appearances over the 7 MCU movies. That's statisticly 0.3 appearances a year.

Iron Man is currently (not certain on this) the only confirmed character for Avengers 3.

Tony Stark is reported to be the creator of Ultron for Avengers 2 so his role will have to be more substantial than the other team members.

Chewy 09-07-2013 04:52 PM

Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
A 20 second cameo at the end of TIH does not count. Please

Iron Man has appeared in four movies. Thor, Captain America, and Black Widow will all have appeared in three movies by this time next year. Hulk would also have another movie lined up if his first two were not failures.

The only difference is that Iron Man had an extra sequel in the first phase

Silvermoth 09-07-2013 04:57 PM

Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
Joss has gotten the balance right so far. I understand he's the most popular character so thats why he's usually front and centre

Ragnaroknroll 09-08-2013 01:47 PM

Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvermoth (Post 26807485)
Joss has gotten the balance right so far. I understand he's the most popular character so thats why he's usually front and centre

Joss has done great. Better than any fan could've hoped for. I love that he kept Cap front and center in Avengers along with Stark. But it is teetering a little too much RDJ. Other characters need more time to shine. I personally did not go to see the Avengers because of Iron Man. I know I'm not alone. The studio best remember that.

KangConquers 09-08-2013 02:00 PM

Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
No MCU film has broken $1 Billion, much less $500 Million, without Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man. I think Thor: The Dark World and Captain America: The Winter Soldier will both more than double the foreign grosses of their predecessors, and show substantial gains domestically as well. But until then, Iron Man is the only proven game in town.

Loki882 09-08-2013 02:20 PM

Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
First of all, RDJ is their biggest selling point, maybe Tom Hiddleston comes close, so using him a lot makes sense. He's been in three solo movies (one of which also had BW in a fairly large role), he's had a cameo in TIH, and been in TA, where he was part of a team, not the focus. He wasn't in Thor (though he was mentioned by name), he wasn't in CA TFA, he's not in TDW or TWS OR GOTG as far as we know. I really don't see the overexposure argument, all the movies he's appeared in he SHOULD appear in.

Ragnaroknroll 09-08-2013 02:21 PM

Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KangConquers (Post 26811575)
No MCU film has broken $1 Billion, much less $500 Million, without Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man. I think Thor: The Dark World and Captain America: The Winter Soldier will both more than double the foreign grosses of their predecessors, and show substantial gains domestically as well. But until then, Iron Man is the only proven game in town.

That's a flawed argument. You can also argue that no MCU film broke a billion until The Avengers were realized. I still enjoyed it but to me Iron Man 3 was the weakest MCU film yet. Why is it the highest grossing Iron Man? Momentum. Everyone saw the Avengers and now everyone wants to see what happens next.

I just hope Thor can ride that momentum as well despite the ill received Mandarin twist.

Loki882 09-08-2013 02:26 PM

Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll (Post 26811685)
That's a flawed argument. You can also argue that no MCU film broke a billion until The Avengers were realized. I still enjoyed it but to me Iron Man 3 was the weakest MCU film yet. Why is it the highest grossing Iron Man? Momentum. Everyone saw the Avengers and now everyone wants to see what happens next.

I just hope Thor can ride that momentum as well despite the ill received Mandarin twist.

Iron Man 3 being the "weakest" Marvel movie is HIGHLY debatable. It got good critical reviews, the GA really liked it, and it make tons of money, it's a success in every sense of the word that matters. I hear more people point to IM 2, or TIH, or even Thor as being the weakest Marvel movie than IM 3.

Ragnaroknroll 09-08-2013 02:26 PM

Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
I would also argue that as a character Iron Man is the easiest sell. High tech smart aleck is the hero of a tech obsessed narcissistic generation. Thor and Captain America are somewhat ridiculous comic concepts. Viking god from space and a dude with 1940's values frozen in ice with a spangly outfit? The Hulk also has had an uphill climb because of Ang Lee's lousy first film and then the Edward Norton recast drama. Marvel needs to have faith in their characters - not RDJ.

Ragnaroknroll 09-08-2013 02:28 PM

Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loki882 (Post 26811707)
Iron Man 3 being the "weakest" Marvel movie is HIGHLY debatable. It got good critical reviews, the GA really liked it, and it make tons of money, it's a success in every sense of the word that matters. I hear more people point to IM 2, or TIH, or even Thor as being the weakest Marvel movie than IM 3.

You are right - that is my opinion. However, Iron Man 3 is easily the most divisive MCU film yet. We've all seen the flame wars. It is not as universally loved as the first Iron Man or the Avengers.

Dr. Evil 09-08-2013 03:07 PM

Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
I don't think he's being overexposed, because of the actor. Besides, Iron Man was one of the best things to happen to RDJ, who at the beginning of the century was on a very dangerous path. Now there's no stopping RDJ.

He's always had talent, even back in his younger years. He just needed to be clean. Now he's clean and we see his talent and we'll see it for years to come.

If Iron Man had been played by any other actor, then yes, I think there would have been overexposure. But RDJ plays the role very well.

KangConquers 09-08-2013 04:15 PM

Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll (Post 26811685)
That's a flawed argument. You can also argue that no MCU film broke a billion until The Avengers were realized. I still enjoyed it but to me Iron Man 3 was the weakest MCU film yet. Why is it the highest grossing Iron Man? Momentum. Everyone saw the Avengers and now everyone wants to see what happens next.

I just hope Thor can ride that momentum as well despite the ill received Mandarin twist.

I said $1 Billion or even 1/2 a billion. Every movie with Downey has done > $500 M. Every movie without him has barely scraped by into sequel range, or in the case of the Incredible Hulk? Failed to. They're dancing with what brought them there...a character who is thus far, their only proven star.

I also think you grossly exaggerate the general public's reaction to the Mandarin twist. Maybe 5% of the people who bought tickets were angered by the twist. We as fans are a infinitesimal part of the film going population. If we had all decided to boycott this movie, it still would've been a monstrous success.

jonathancrane 09-08-2013 04:20 PM

Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
These threads are becoming quite tiring, in themselves: I am awaiting for the 'Are You Tired of Stan Lee Being Overexposed' one.

Broseph44 09-08-2013 04:25 PM

Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathancrane (Post 26812365)
These threads are becoming quite tiring, in themselves: I am awaiting for the 'Are You Tired of Stan Lee Being Overexposed' one.

Agreed news is slow lately for the most part, and people just decided to come up with threads like this. Tiring indeed.

xeno000 09-08-2013 05:02 PM

Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathancrane (Post 26812365)
These threads are becoming quite tiring, in themselves: I am awaiting for the 'Are You Tired of Stan Lee Being Overexposed' one.

The OP of this thread said in the Marvel Films section that he dislikes all of the MCU films, so coming from him this is expected.


People here should simply stop rising to the bait. Don't respond to biased threads like this on substance and they'll die a lonely death.

Green Goblin 09-08-2013 05:09 PM

Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
Yes, time for someone else.

Green Goblin 09-08-2013 05:10 PM

Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by xeno000 (Post 26812603)
The OP of this thread said in the Marvel Films section that he dislikes all of the MCU films, so coming from him this is expected.


People here should simply stop rising to the bait. Don't respond to biased threads like this on substance and they'll die a lonely death.

I think he liked IM,Thor and Captain America.

He has expressed his hate for TA a few times.

Chewy 09-08-2013 05:15 PM

Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Goblin (Post 26812645)
Yes, time for someone else.

Agreed, maybe they could release a Thor movie later this year. And then, I dunno, maybe a Captain America movie early next year. Just spitballin here

KangConquers 09-08-2013 05:19 PM

Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewy (Post 26812705)
Agreed, maybe they could release a Thor movie later this year. And then, I dunno, maybe a Captain America movie early next year. Just spitballin here

This is a pretty good point. Four or five years from now, we'll be able to look back on completely Downey free trilogies for Captain America and Thor. It's not like he's being shoe-horned into any place he doesn't belong.

xeno000 09-08-2013 05:20 PM

Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Goblin (Post 26812659)
I think he liked IM,Thor and Captain America.

He has expressed his hate for TA a few times.

I hated MOS, but you won't see me over in its sequel forum posting random troll threads.

Green Goblin 09-08-2013 05:21 PM

Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewy (Post 26812705)
Agreed, maybe they could release a Thor movie later this year. And then, I dunno, maybe a Captain America movie early next year. Just spitballin here

I mean have a new central hero. I liked the idea of Dr Strange being it.

Just_Human 09-08-2013 05:26 PM

Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
I want





MOAR Iron Man

Dont get me wrong, I liked IM3 until the stupid Mandarin twist happened, but RDJ as Stark is just orgasmic lol

Chewy 09-08-2013 05:31 PM

Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KangConquers (Post 26812737)
This is a pretty good point. Four or five years from now, we'll be able to look back on completely Downey free trilogies for Captain America and Thor. It's not like he's being shoe-horned into any place he doesn't belong.

3 Downey IM movies, 3 Hems Thor movies, 3 Evans Cap movies, 3 Avengers movies with all three.

There's really no disparity here, except that Thor was in the first Avengers movie for like 8 fewer minutes than the other two, and that the IM movies came first. And honestly this "issue" is only ever brought up by people who clearly have an axe to grind

SuperFerret 09-08-2013 05:42 PM

Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
I'm tired of Hawkeye being overexposed. One movie and a cameo is far too much.

Aztec 09-08-2013 05:43 PM

Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?
 
"Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?"

Holy leading question Batman!!!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com, A property of CraveOnline, a divison of AtomicOnline, LLC © 2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.