The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Thor: The Dark World (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=497)
-   -   Will the Casket of Ancient Winters be in the film? (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=465229)

speno94 09-10-2013 08:24 PM

Will the Casket of Ancient Winters be in the film?

Do you think the Casket of Ancient Winters will be in Thor: The Dark World or maybe in a quick cameo in Odin's weapons vault?

I personally wish they didn't use the Casket in the first film and saved it for this film because even though Malekith isn't a well-known villain, to me personally, when I think Malekith the Accursed, I think Algrim/Kurse and also The Casket of Ancient Winters.

Also I know that Surtur used it at one point in the comics and they seem to be building towards Surtur for film 3, so i wish they they saved the casket for film 2 and maybe 3.

herolee10 09-10-2013 08:45 PM

Re: Will the Casket of Ancient Winters be in the film?

Doubtful since the last time it was seen, we saw it inside the Observatory that overlooked the Bi-Frost Bridge in the first film, which we saw fall into the deep abyss of the 9 realms after Thor destroyed the Bridge.

Vartha 09-11-2013 12:09 PM

Huh? Loki used it on Heimdall and made it vanish or put it back magically Herolee.

metaphysician 09-11-2013 02:07 PM

That was prior to its loss with the Bifrost.

herolee10 09-12-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vartha (Post 26830069)
Huh? Loki used it on Heimdall and made it vanish or put it back magically Herolee.

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaphysician (Post 26830607)
That was prior to its loss with the Bifrost.

Yep; pretty much. For those who have no idea what me and Meta are talking about, if you look at the first film a bit more closely, you'll noticed on how Loki places the Casket on top of the slot that Heimdell would normally use to insert his sword into and activate the bridge with. Loki uses the casket to create that ice like depiction of that asgardian tree branch thingy that's supposed to represent on how the 9 realms are connected.

Godzilla2000 09-12-2013 08:45 AM

I think the location of where the Casket is should be mentioned at least for continuity's sake. Although the sad thing is most moviegoers may have forgotten that Loki still had the Casket from the first movie.

Ms. Marvel 09-12-2013 09:19 AM

I don't think so. Though they may be able to fit it in somehow, but it won't be a big thing in the movie.

Godzilla2000 09-12-2013 10:34 AM

I'd be happy even to see a glimpse of it back in Odin's vault just for continuity's sake. You know Odin would demand Loki give it back.

ericadawn16 09-14-2013 09:07 PM

What if Thanos has it or maybe it'll be in Guardians of the Galaxy?

Vartha 09-18-2013 02:08 PM

I still think Loki would have returned the Casket magically. Like only being able to keep it in one spot while in use, then it returns to it's point of origin. Like a safety precaution set up by Odin.
Besides Odin woke up before the Observitory fell into the abyss. I'm SURE Odin replaced it and was AWARE what Loki was doing in while he was in the Odin sleep

speno94 11-05-2013 05:17 PM

I wish the The Casket of Ancient Winters wasn't used as the MacGuffin in the first Thor film and they saved the Casket for this film rather than the Aether because it makes sense for Malekith.

Was the Aether made up for the film or was it a MacGuffin in the comics, I can't remember?

Godzilla2000 11-06-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vartha (Post 26867353)
I still think Loki would have returned the Casket magically. Like only being able to keep it in one spot while in use, then it returns to it's point of origin. Like a safety precaution set up by Odin.
Besides Odin woke up before the Observitory fell into the abyss. I'm SURE Odin replaced it and was AWARE what Loki was doing in while he was in the Odin sleep

It'd be nice to get some continuity closure on the whereabouts of the casket though. Speculating about it is not continuity. Not having seen the movie yet since it opens this Friday, I don't know if it is mentioned being safe and or not. I guess I'm a continuity stickler.

Rich Santoro 11-09-2013 10:38 PM

I do appreciate attention to continuity, and would prefer that the casket not simply be forgotten about... but more importantly, it seems as though the Aether is one of the Infinity "stones".

Odin mentioned that other powerful relics were usually stones, in the opening monologue. Then Volstag and Sif brought the Aether contained in that little box, to the collector saying that since the teaseract is already in the vault, it is not a good idea to keep 2 infinity stones together.

So they blew right past the casket and went to infinity gem/stone number 2.