The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Captain America Sequels (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=441)
-   -   Should Bucky become Captain America after CA3/Avengers3? (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=465379)

Comicbookguy339 09-14-2013 10:55 AM

Should Bucky become Captain America after CA3/Avengers3?

I guess I'm asking if you would rather they recast Steve Rogers or have the character die so Bucky (Sebastian Stan) can take up the mantle.

ericadawn16 09-14-2013 06:33 PM

Re: Should Bucky become Captain America after CA3/Avengers3?

What about America Chavez? It could be like when Miss Marvel got upgraded to Captain Marvel.

Dasher10 09-18-2013 04:43 PM

In short, no. Bucky was only Cap for a short while. Steve has usually been Captain America.

psylockolussus 10-22-2013 11:36 PM

Of course not!

krycek 10-31-2013 11:16 PM

No, Captain America should always be Steve Rogers. I'm not a big fan of when a superhero is made of multiple characters. I would like to see Bucky return for future sequels though.

Just_Human 11-01-2013 02:33 AM

no

just no

regnak 11-02-2013 08:56 PM

No absolutely not.

dsfjr1190 11-02-2013 09:19 PM

If Chris Evans doesn't want to come back, then sure. Have Bucky be Cap for a few movies while Steve is (suspected?) dead. Then bring back Steve with a different actor.

xeno000 11-04-2013 04:32 AM

No. Never.

Bucky/Cap was one of the worst plot devices of recent Marvel history. He made a terrible Captain America. Just because something happened in the comic book doesn't mean that it should be used in the film universe. Steve Rogers should always be Cap in the MCU, even if that means recasting the role when Chris Evans leaves.

Adamantium 11-04-2013 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsfjr1190 (Post 27135453)
If Chris Evans doesn't want to come back, then sure. Have Bucky be Cap for a few movies while Steve is (suspected?) dead. Then bring back Steve with a different actor.

No disrespect to you. But the idea, because I heard this from several people on some other things I've read suggest this scenario too. I think that would be a huge mistake. I guess if they went this route and Evans came back it could work or be accepted. But if Evans didn't and then they just popped some other actor in the role I think they'd have no awe factor.

I can't conceivably see them doing this. There's just no reason for it.

Adamantium 11-04-2013 05:11 AM

Plus I'm not a fan of Sebastian Shaw. At least from the little I seen of him in CATFA I don't think I would enjoy watching him. He doesn't have the same screen presence as Chris Evans.

marcvader 03-13-2014 06:44 AM

No, next question.

Tymminator 05-10-2014 01:27 PM

Nope.

Jochimus 05-10-2014 06:50 PM

I'm not sure that the death of one of the Avengers is something that would fly with non-fan audiences, at least unless it were another fake-out, which I'm not sure Steve would cotton to: I could see Steve being PRESUMED dead and Bucky maybe looking to find out who's responsible after a year or so of the latter getting his life and marbles back together, but the trick would be to do that without being a straight rehash of what we just got in TWS.

Xhexania 05-10-2014 11:29 PM

We all know it worked well for many when Bucky was Cap for a short while in the comics but the MCU are a different type of media to do that thing, it would be weird, the movies are well established with Steve Rogers as Cap, and that is how it should stay in the films.
I do have to say though that if Marvel studios want to keep making more movies with Cap and Evans is not up for it after Avengers 3, then it would be convenient they did a proper exit for Steve as Cap and have Bucky replace him, though Iīm not convinced Sebastian as Bucky, has the presence to lead a movie as Cap, but it is better than recasting another actor to play Steve. Not that other superheroes havenīt been played by 10 different actors, but with MCU the characters are too attached to the actors playing them and defined by them, so if they were to re-cast Steve, they should wait 10 years at least to give a time; in the meantime they have so many other superheroes to make movies about... but Iīm sure going to miss it too much when I donīt see more Cap films with Evans or IM films with RDJ :(

Visualiza 05-12-2014 09:57 PM

I think that one of the biggest obstacles facing this idea, from the audience's POV anyway, is the issue of death in the MCU in general. Let's not forget that in the comics, Steve (obviously) didn't die; that was all some hokey, elaborate...time displacement mind swap plot from the Red Skull. I...have my doubts as to whether they'd even be willing to go down a similar road for the movies, but the idea of Steve coming back after the audience was lead to believe that he perished would be a tough sell, all things considered. So far, we've had Coulson, Bucky, Loki, and Fury either brought back or fake their own deaths, and each time, the audience was never in on it. Hell, nobody believes that the Red Skull is dead, and an argument could even be made for Killian.

All I'm saying is that if they're going to go down this road, they had better consider the ramifications of losing Steve Rogers for the duration of the MCU, which is apparently planned out until 2028, and will surely continue beyond that if the money keeps rolling in. On the other hand, if their plan is to bring him back, then it needs to be a very well written, cleverly orchestrated chain of events, otherwise it won't resonate with the audience after getting bamboozled so many times.

Venom 1988 05-13-2014 04:38 PM

What if instead of dying, Steve Rogers becomes the Director of a newly formed SHIELD, that is if they decide to bring SHIELD back anyway. That way you could have a new cap without killing the old.

Visualiza 05-13-2014 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom 1988 (Post 28766253)
What if instead of dying, Steve Rogers becomes the Director of a newly formed SHIELD, that is if they decide to bring SHIELD back anyway. That way you could have a new cap without killing the old.

He'd have to have a pretty compelling reason to do something like that, especially when you consider the fact that he had a hand in SHIELD's demise in the first place.

It was pretty clear as well that Cap wasn't a big fan of secrecy and withholding information. He said it himself - he joined SHIELD to protect people, not to spy on them. I can't imagine any situation where Cap would reform SHIELD and become its leader. Seems to go against everything he stands for at this point.

Venom 1988 05-13-2014 08:09 PM

The new SHIELD doesn't have to be like the old SHIELD, but sure I guess you're right...

BullMcGiveny 05-20-2014 06:34 AM

Bucky's tenure as Cap, while a great premise, wound up being largely unremarkable. He's better off being Winter Soldier.

marcvader 05-20-2014 06:39 AM

Steve Rogers IS Captain America. That is all.

Hypestyle 06-14-2014 07:43 PM

heh-heh. We'll see. I guess it depends on whether Disney can convince Chris Evans to come back after Avengers 3. He seems intent on becoming a director for now, but hopefully he won't give up on Cap prematurely.