The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   The Dark Knight Rises (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Where you first viewed the movie helped you decide whether you like it or not? (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=465535)

Bane Cook 09-17-2013 07:55 PM

Where you first viewed the movie helped you decide whether you like it or not?

Does anyone think this might be true? A bunch of this movie was filmed in IMAX. So when you see it in a small theater with a mediocre sound system and not real IMAX(not that knock off garbage), it takes away from the experience a bit. I saw it twice in IMAX and twice in a regular theater. Without a doubt, you're losing a lot when you see it in a regular crap theater.
There are scenes in IMAX that just make you go, "wow." When you see them in a regular theater, they might go by without you giving too much thought to them. In IMAX, the ground and your chair are shaking. It's easy to get sucked into that world. I still get goosebumps thinking about the final battle, the prologue, and the panoramic scene of the city after the prologue. Oh and also the scene where Bane says, "Open fire." In IMAX, that scene is just breathtaking and so intimidating as Bane walks forward. Ahhh there's so many to choose from.

I wish I could view all movies in this format. Small theaters have terrible lighting, terrible sound, and sometimes, terrible smell.

Random semi off topic note: Man of Steel is a movie you MUST have seen in IMAX 3D to get the full experience.

Victarion 09-17-2013 08:48 PM

Re: Where you first viewed the movie helped you decide whether you like it or not?

No, not really. I still get chills from those Bane scenes watching it on my home television. The scene where Barsad walks across the bridge toward the army guy looks like it was intended for IMAX, though. My picture gets a bit blurred.

JackWhite 09-17-2013 08:54 PM

Re: Where you first viewed the movie helped you decide whether you like it or not?

Seeing it in IMAX was absolutely stunning, but a little overwhelming. When I saw it the second time in a regular theater I actually enjoyed it a little more. But more of that was due to the hype of the film.

DACrowe 09-18-2013 06:42 PM

The first time I saw it was in a regular theater and my thought has been what it always was: "That movie is great! Not a masterpiece like TDK, and it does have some pacing issues, but man was that a damn satisfying rollerocaster of a ride! Anne Hathaway is great! Who knew?"

The only thing that has changed in the intervening year is that I now appreciate Hardy's Bane more. I came out thinking he just did not live up to Ledger, though I knew it was its own thing. Now, I see that while still no Joker, his Bane is iconic in its own weird way. That sneaked up on me.

Otherwise, nothing has changed. Though I see the fan community moving farther away from it every passing day. Sad but true.

DACrowe 09-18-2013 06:43 PM

The first time I saw it was in a regular theater and my thought has been what it always was: "That movie is great! Not a masterpiece like TDK, and it does have some pacing issues, but man was that a damn satisfying rollerocaster of a ride! Anne Hathaway is great! Who knew?"

The only thing that has changed in the intervening year is that I now appreciate Hardy's Bane more. I came out thinking he just did not live up to Ledger, though I knew it was its own thing. Now, I see that while still no Joker, his Bane is iconic in its own weird way. That sneaked up on me.

Otherwise, nothing has changed. Though I see the fan community moving farther away from it every passing day. Sad but true.

Green Goblin 09-19-2013 10:46 AM

My issues with the movie was with the script, not the fact that it constantly changed aspect ratios...

I SEE SPIDEY 09-22-2013 11:23 AM

I was super hyped for The Dark Knight Rises and wanted to love it but only ended up kinda liking it because of the cast performances. The screen had nothing to do with my underwhelmed reaction to the picture. Maybe when I get around to watching it for a second time it will play better and maybe it won't. When I feel like watching it again we will see what my opinion is.