The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=619)
-   -   The Batsuit Thread - Part 5 (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=465803)

Thread Manager 09-24-2013 03:59 PM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 4
 
This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager 09-24-2013 03:59 PM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3
 
This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Fanged-Hunter 09-24-2013 03:59 PM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 4
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by spider-neil (Post 26899219)
Fabric works for Spidey and Supes, I just don't see it working for Batman.
There has been no instance, ever, ANYWHERE, where I have seen a live action/cosplay Batman in fabric where I thought it looked awesome. Not once. Ever.

I thought Batman: Dead End looked pretty damn awesome.

I'm hoping some Arkham games influence, that kevlar sort of look without being overly armored.

spider-neil 09-24-2013 04:19 PM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 4
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fanged-Hunter (Post 26900231)
I thought Batman: Dead End looked pretty damn awesome.


Nope. Didn't like it.

Rust 09-24-2013 05:18 PM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 5
 
It was a pretty good straight adaptation of the comicbook-suit, but not something I'd want for an actual movie, particularly not with a "realistic" take.

regwec 09-24-2013 05:39 PM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 5
 
I'm not sure it was a great adaptation of the comicbook suit, because the appearance of thin stretch fabric in the comics is generally acknowledged to be a cheat. It is a depiction of something other than it appears, if that makes sense.

Shikamaru 09-24-2013 05:48 PM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 5
 
The Dead End suit was a cheap pair of tights.

I saw someone in the previous thread say "A fully armored suit makes sense in a hyper realistic setting." Like I said before, even if you want to throw the realism card, it still makes more sense for him to wear fabric that offers the same level of protection armor does without weighting him down and letting him blend better in the shadows. The fabric suit could have worked in Nolan's universe too IMO.

Shikamaru 09-24-2013 05:49 PM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 5
 
double post

regwec 09-24-2013 05:58 PM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shikamaru (Post 26900707)
The Dead End suit was a cheap pair of tights.

I saw someone in the previous thread say "A fully armored suit makes sense in a hyper realistic setting." Like I said before, even if you want to throw the realism card, it still makes more sense for him to wear fabric that offers the same level of protection armor does without weighting him down and letting him blend better in the shadows. The fabric suit could have worked in Nolan's universe too IMO.

You are right, and this goes to the nature of what Batman should be able to do. Defenders of the heavy rubber armour seemingly want him just to waddle around, throwing slow punches as goons wait patiently to be hit. Okay, it might be easier to believe that he can survive a tank shell, but is that Batman is about? What if he needs to leap over those goons heads? What happens if his escape route requires him to swim?

TheFlamingCoco 09-24-2013 06:08 PM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 5
 
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/nimro...0/4370_320.jpg

Ironically, I think Dead-End highlights the problem with a LITERAL Batcostume. That is to say, skintight cloth (which works in comics), looks a bit cheap and flimsy in live action. And I'm not suggesting we go back to rubber.

A middle ground is the best approach, I think. Some padding (to sell the armor aspect), but mostly a fabric-based structure WITH the comic book colorings (grey and black/blue).

Something that looks like it could stop a bullet, but also something he can believably run in. I like the idea of a mesh/interwoven fabric.

Ironically, the Arkham City Collectors edition statue/doll gave us the pretty much perfect texture for a live action Batman. Or should I say, not surprisingly ;) http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...m1-d4yyac5.jpg

iwontsaveu 09-24-2013 07:40 PM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 5
 
I like the "supposed" discarded concept art for the movie, excpet for the cowl, they really need some help with that.

Shikamaru 09-24-2013 07:51 PM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 5
 
^ From what movie is that from?

The Infernal 09-24-2013 08:10 PM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 5
 
Someone said it's concept for Ben's Batsuit. I don't know personally. The Bat nipples references make me wonder if it's just a joke. It just seems like a weird thing to note down.

Edit: I'm not too fond of that direction for the suit myself. I think the gauntlets and boots are interesting enough, but the overall suit is just way too close to TDK batsuit. The mask is just awful though. Time for a new direction I say.

TheFlamingCoco 09-24-2013 08:15 PM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 5
 
I'd want something like this.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs48/f/20...d_by_Dreee.jpg

Without the Indiana Jones pants and gold belt, that is.

Dk1201 09-24-2013 08:22 PM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Infernal (Post 26901345)
Someone said it's concept for Ben's Batsuit. I don't know personally. The Bat nipples references make me wonder if it's just a joke. It just seems like a weird thing to note down.

Edit: I'm not too fond of that direction for the suit myself. I think the gauntlets and boots are interesting enough, but the overall suit is just way too close to TDK batsuit. The mask is just awful though. Time for a new direction I say.


Agrred though I like the cape and if its made with a Batman Returns material I would be very happy and honestly I think the orange logo is cool does that make me a bad person lol

TheFlamingCoco 09-24-2013 08:23 PM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 5
 
^ It's okay, I kind of like the orange logo, too. :)

It's the rest of the suit that just makes me :whatever:

The Infernal 09-24-2013 08:29 PM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dk1201 (Post 26901417)
Agrred though I like the cape and if its made with a Batman Returns material I would be very happy and honestly I think the orange logo is cool does that make me a bad person lol

Only one way to make sure. Wait for X-mas and check your stocking.

Dk1201 09-24-2013 10:03 PM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco (Post 26901425)
^ It's okay, I kind of like the orange logo, too. :)

It's the rest of the suit that just makes me :whatever:

Agreed I don't hate it that much but I prefer a mixture of that and the Batman Returns

spider-neil 09-25-2013 01:56 AM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 5
 
For the record, I want something that 'looks' strong, armoured, heavy duty but that material can be as light weight as the costumers can make it. That Dead End suit looks flimsy and cheap.

Nathan 09-25-2013 06:37 AM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 5
 
Will you ever stop complaining about cosplay suits not looking good enough?

Bathead 09-25-2013 06:51 AM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 26904021)
Will you ever stop complaining about cosplay suits not looking good enough?

No, because he seems to think that's what us fabric-based suit advocates are asking for (hint: we're not).

spider-neil 09-25-2013 07:48 AM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 26904021)
Will you ever stop complaining about cosplay suits not looking good enough?

You have your hang ups and I have mine ;)

spider-neil 09-25-2013 07:52 AM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 5
 
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GIchwvJ-aN...rns%2Bsuit.jpg


Fabric suit from a movie with multi million dollar budget.
Having money thrown at it isn't a guarantee it will look any better than a cosplay costume.

Nathan 09-25-2013 08:03 AM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by spider-neil (Post 26904155)
You have your hang ups and I have mine ;)

What? Being able to use solid arguments and real world examples why we can have protective gear, that doesn't look like obvious protective armor and doesn't weigh an actor down?

Quote:

Originally Posted by spider-neil (Post 26904165)



Fabric suit from a movie with multi million dollar budget.
Having money thrown at it isn't a guarantee it will look any better than a cosplay costume.

And look how they learned to do it after that mistake.

http://i.imgur.com/ObwoF3h.jpg

regwec 09-25-2013 08:41 AM

Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by spider-neil (Post 26904165)
Fabric suit from a movie with multi million dollar budget.

Having money thrown at it isn't a guarantee it will look any better than a cosplay costume.

1) How good did the TDK(R) or B&R suits look? Throwing rubber at a costume doesn't make it look good, either. Quite the reverse.

2) The fabric was not the problem with the SR costume; its poor cut and design was. By comparison, Christopher Reeve looked pretty good in his fabric costume.

3) Putting Superman in stretch fabric is a literal translation of the costume from the "old" DCU. Putting Batman in stretch fabric would not be such a literal translation. As everybody has patiently tried to explain about 1,000 times, Batman wears fabric, not "spandex" or whatever else you insist on calling it.

4) Some cosplay costumes look bad, while others look less so. Some of the rubber wetsuits seen in the movies look pretty bad. I think that the quantum of aesthetic virtue achieved per $1 spent is significantly higher for some cosplays than it is for most of the ugly rubber robosuits.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com, A property of CraveOnline, a divison of AtomicOnline, LLC © 2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.