The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=619)
-   -   All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 3 (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=466605)

Thread Manager 10-10-2013 09:39 PM

Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager 10-10-2013 09:40 PM

Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 1

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

theShape 10-10-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shauner111 (Post 26996187)
Baldwin would have been just as bad as Clooney as Batman. There's many actors who can play Bruce (Baldwin is one of them, mainly playboy part) and many who can play Batman. Not everyone can play both.

Sorry, you couldn't be more wrong. Not sure if you've ever seen the underrated superhero movie The Shadow (1994) starring Baldwin (ahead of its time), but he was a badass and played the combo of wealthy playboy/dark hero. He had the looks for Bruce, as well as the voice and attitude for Batman. In his prime, Baldwin would've most likely killed it. If Keaton did it well, Baldwin could have also.

Here's the opening scene from it. His voice alone is awesome. Obviously over the top because the tone of the film was pulpy and very different than Batman'89, but you get the idea. The Shadow's laugh is also pretty awesome but obviously wouldn't be a part of a Batman movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJX60CSED1s

Eddie Dean 10-10-2013 09:40 PM

Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 3

I just posted the same clip!

ЯɘvlveR 10-10-2013 09:50 PM

yeah. totally disagree with shauner111, cool poster, but nah.

baldwin was born to play the role.

Bathead 10-10-2013 10:12 PM

Agree, Baldwin would have been at least good, if not great, as Batman, and I also base that on how he did in the Shadow. I enjoyed him in that movie.

theShape 10-10-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bathead (Post 26997397)
Agree, Baldwin would have been at least good, if not great, as Batman, and I also base that on how he did in the Shadow. I enjoyed him in that movie.

I would go as far to say he would have been more impressive than Keaton with the right direction.

TheFlamingCoco 10-10-2013 10:23 PM

http://alec.helenheart.com/gallery/shadow/20.jpg

I personally think a young Alec Baldwin would capture the energy AND intellect of Batman really well. And his square face gives off Alex Ross vibes.

BatLobsterRises 10-10-2013 10:39 PM

I think Baldwin might've been good, but there's no real way to know for sure. I think Bale essentially ended up being the 2005-12 answer to what people imagine 80s Baldwin could've been. No huge loss in the long run, I'm glad we got Keaton. His quirkiness fit Burton's take on the character.

theShape 10-10-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises (Post 26997577)
I think Baldwin might've been good, but there's no real way to know for sure. I think Bale essentially ended up being the 2005-12 answer to what people imagine 80s Baldwin could've been. No huge loss in the long run, I'm glad we got Keaton.

Eh, I don't imagine Baldwin being what we got with Bale, especially not in the 89-92 era. I'm also glad we got Keaton. Loved him and still do. I'm just saying that in an alternate universe, there's a great chance that Baldwin would have been as good or better than Keaton, especially with the mysterious way Burton portrayed Bruce/Batman.

ЯɘvlveR 10-10-2013 10:52 PM

if he hadn't been such a **** to burton (apprently he was difficult on the beetlejuice set) he probably would have gotten the role. we got beetlejuice, instead. i love keaton though.

BatLobsterRises 10-10-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theShape (Post 26997621)
Eh, I don't imagine Baldwin being what we got with Bale, especially not in the 89-92 era. I'm also glad we got Keaton. Loved him and still do. I'm just saying that in an alternate universe, there's a great chance that Baldwin would have been as good or better than Keaton, especially with the mysterious way Burton portrayed Bruce/Batman.

Well, I only mean that in the broadest, most general way possible. Keaton was cast against type and so people always look back to Baldwin because he seemed to be the more obvious choice. I'm just saying that for today's generation, Bale too was the guy who seemed like the obvious choice, who had the whole package and we actually got to see him the role.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ЯɘvlveR (Post 26997657)
if he hadn't been such a **** to burton (apprently he was difficult on the beetlejuice set) he probably would have gotten the role. we got beetlejuice, instead. i love keaton though.

I'm surprised he didn't try to make nice with Tim on the Beetlejuice set, if only to keep himself in the running for Batman since it was already known to be Burton's next project. Meanwhile Keaton probably had NO idea he was auditioning for Batman. :woot:

shauner111 10-10-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theShape (Post 26997221)
Sorry, you couldn't be more wrong. Not sure if you've ever seen the underrated superhero movie The Shadow (1994) starring Baldwin (ahead of its time), but he was a badass and played the combo of wealthy playboy/dark hero. He had the looks for Bruce, as well as the voice and attitude for Batman. In his prime, Baldwin would've most likely killed it. If Keaton did it well, Baldwin could have also.

Here's the opening scene from it. His voice alone is awesome. Obviously over the top because the tone of the film was pulpy and very different than Batman'89, but you get the idea. The Shadow's laugh is also pretty awesome but obviously wouldn't be a part of a Batman movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJX60CSED1s

I actually haven't seen this movie. I take back my Clooney comment :woot:. I always knew he would have made an awesome Wayne but now im thinking he would have been a solid batman. Thanks for the link guys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises (Post 26997577)
I think Baldwin might've been good, but there's no real way to know for sure. I think Bale essentially ended up being the 2005-12 answer to what people imagine 80s Baldwin could've been. No huge loss in the long run, I'm glad we got Keaton. His quirkiness fit Burton's take on the character.

Interesting point. Id say solid. He could have been greater but we cant know that. I loved Keaton's quirky Bruce but thought Kilmer looked the part much more. Val played the solid Bruce and meh batman (not his fault). But ill say that Alec would have been a way better Bruce than those guys, on the level of Bale.

Smallville13 10-10-2013 11:54 PM

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but is there anything expected or rumored for NYCC regarding this film? Casting announcement? Is Zack Snyder even attending?

DA_Champion 10-11-2013 12:22 AM

I thought that bale nailed bruce and I have trouble imagining anyone else doing better. I like how he played a playboy, how he slept through board meetings, how he spoke to Harvey Dent, and how he playeda convincing depressed cripple in the third movie.

DarthDorranceBane 10-11-2013 02:38 AM

Why does Devin Faraci hates everything about Batman?

slumcat 10-11-2013 03:32 AM

I think Clooney is a magnificent actor. But I think he's too sophisticated for Batman. He wouldn't except the role today for 50 million dollars.

Slightly wooden actors like Kilmer and Bale seem to please audiences in such roles. So maybe Affleck will please audiences too.

But my favorite of course remains Keaton.

CharlieS 10-11-2013 03:44 AM

I don't like the Nolan's Batman but i like Nolan as a director not as a Batman's director.

CharlieS 10-11-2013 04:07 AM

Nolan has hijacked the Batman character.

Llama_Shepherd 10-11-2013 04:56 AM

What? He told his story and stepped aside. That's not a hijacking any more than most series.

CharlieS 10-11-2013 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd (Post 26998751)
What? He told his story and stepped aside. That's not a hijacking any more than most series.

Nolan used Batman like a tool to make psychological thrillers, he completely screwed the Batman character he hijacked the Batman essence.

Llama_Shepherd 10-11-2013 05:16 AM

No he didn't.

CharlieS 10-11-2013 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd (Post 26998767)
No he didn't.

It's the truth you should accept it.

Man.of.Tomorrow 10-11-2013 06:44 AM

No way!! ^

DA_Champion 10-11-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slumcat (Post 26998639)
I think Clooney is a magnificent actor. But I think he's too sophisticated for Batman. He wouldn't except the role today for 50 million dollars.

Slightly wooden actors like Kilmer and Bale seem to please audiences in such roles. So maybe Affleck will please audiences too.

But my favorite of course remains Keaton.

Bale wooden?

Did you watch The Fighter? American Psycho?